Retweet
Favorite

Congrats to WW

Tombstone RJ
10-31-2012, 08:31 AM
congrats WW!

gyldenlove
10-31-2012, 08:32 AM
He has really been picking up his play, he finally got the chance at sustained starting time and he has really taken it and run with it.

Smiling Assassin27
10-31-2012, 08:33 AM
the dude was all over the field at Kentucky. now i think he's finally getting a chance to prove that was no fluke with DJ out of the picture.

when DJ comes back, do you see him as taking Mays' spot at LB or do they not even activate him?

Smilin Assassin
10-31-2012, 08:55 AM
Congrats to Wesley!

I know his stat line looked great, but truth be told if we're knit-pickin, he shoulda knocked that interception down. But it was only like a 4-5 yd difference.....

baja
10-31-2012, 09:19 AM
I have what may be a dumb question.

WW had an int on 4th down. Let's say he has possession and returns it for a few yards and fumbles back to NO.

Does NO have the ball with a fresh set of downs even though it was their forth down?

2KBack
10-31-2012, 09:20 AM
I have what may be a dumb question.

WW had an int on 4th down. Let's say he has possession and returns it for a few yards and fumbles back to NO.

Does NO have the ball with a fresh set of downs even though it was their forth down?

Yes, it counts as an entire new possession.

baja
10-31-2012, 09:22 AM
Yes, it counts as an entire new possession.

Thanks that is what I thought.

Even more reason to knock that pass down.

Pick Six
10-31-2012, 09:35 AM
the dude was all over the field at Kentucky. now i think he's finally getting a chance to prove that was no fluke with DJ out of the picture.

when DJ comes back, do you see him as taking Mays' spot at LB or do they not even activate him?

Hopefully, he'll play a backup role (in the beginning). He may work his way back into the starting lineup, but not right now...

Lestat
10-31-2012, 09:42 AM
WW is ballin' right now. it's possible DJ might not get his spot back.
DJ has been our best LB since Wilson had to retire. Von is such a hybrid type that i rarely identify him solely as a LB. but Von is a fixture at SAM so MIKE or WILL is the only place for DJ when he comes back.

baja
10-31-2012, 09:45 AM
WW is ballin' right now. it's possible DJ might not get his spot back.
DJ has been our best LB since Wilson had to retire. Von is such a hybrid type that i rarely identify him solely as a LB. but Von is a fixture at SAM so MIKE or WILL is the only place for DJ when he comes back.

Maybe JDR will play some version of 3 /4 in order to get DJ on the field and have Von play more of a free lance roll.

gyldenlove
10-31-2012, 09:45 AM

Yup, on 4th down you almost always want to knock it down unless you have a LOT of open real estate in front of you - one of the worst plays I have ever seen was a hail mary 4th down pass in a college game from the 40 yard line, a defender who was all alone intercepted it at his own 3 yard line, got knocked out of bounds at his own 5, cost his team 55 yards of field position but was still celebrating like a dumbass.

baja
10-31-2012, 09:49 AM
Yup, on 4th down you almost always want to knock it down unless you have a LOT of open real estate in front of you - one of the worst plays I have ever seen was a hail mary 4th down pass in a college game from the 40 yard line, a defender who was all alone intercepted it at his own 3 yard line, got knocked out of bounds at his own 5, cost his team 55 yards of field position but was still celebrating like a dumbass.

Imagine a scenario where team A is behind by 4 and needs a touchdown to win. It's 4th down and there is 7 seconds on the clock. They throw a Hail Mary which is intercepted and returned 20 yards but the ball carrier fumbles and team A recovers and takes it in for a winning TD.

Wonder if that ever happened?

BroncoMan4ever
10-31-2012, 09:50 AM

While in retrospect I agree he should have knocked down the pass, I can't help but think, this team generally has trouble holding onto INTs that even at the loss of some yardage it could be a momentum builder

jonny1
10-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Imagine a scenario where team A is behind by 4 and needs a touchdown to win. It's 4th down and there is 7 seconds on the clock. They throw a Hail Mary which is intercepted and returned 20 yards but the ball carrier fumbles and team A recovers and takes it in for a winning TD.

Chargers and Patriots, playoffs a few years ago, in the final minutes, Brady threw a pick, Charger ran with it, fumbled and the Pats got it back, and drove for the winning TD.

Gotta love those Sparklers . . . .

Irish Stout
10-31-2012, 10:23 AM

I was screaming at him to knock it down when it happened. He couldn't hear me of course. But, what can you expect when a linebacker puts his hands in the air and the ball just flies straight into his mitts? I think we was more surprised than anything... at least he wrapped the ball up well and went down fairly quickly.

enjolras
10-31-2012, 10:24 AM

In High School I saw a game where a team was down 3 with about 1:00 left on the clock. They had something like 4th and 25.

They brought in their entire linebacker corp (full-back, half-back, and tightend). They ran a pattern right into that corners zone and literally just threw the ball to him. Sure enough the kid ignored his coaches pleas to get down and starts running for paydirt. One of the linebackers absolutely lit this kid up and knocked the ball loose and recovered it.

30 seconds later they went in for the winning touchdown.

It was really cool...

fdf
10-31-2012, 10:26 AM

If he just batted at it, it can go into the air and who knows what happens. Woodyard was fully extended when he intercepted. Not clear he could "bat" it to the ground. Bird in the hand.

errand
10-31-2012, 10:31 AM

Well since we're playing the "what if" game...what if he returned it for a TD?

I'm guessing he thought he could get farther down field than he actually did....

Kaylore
10-31-2012, 10:31 AM

Yes.

Rabb
10-31-2012, 10:34 AM
I love seeing guys step up when they get the chance, nice work DJ. DJ is so talented, would like to see him get another shot at MLB I guess because you cannot justify taking WW off.

Broncos4Life
10-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Maybe JDR will play some version of 3 /4 in order to get DJ on the field and have Von play more of a free lance roll.

Baja, this is exactly what was being talked about on the Dave Logan show last night. Also it was said that in camp, JDR was experimenting with som 3/4. Don't know the validity of this though.
I think we will see it.
There is enough talent at lb to mix it in our defense.

Rohirrim
10-31-2012, 10:38 AM
I was screaming at him to knock it down when it happened. He couldn't hear me of course. But, what can you expect when a linebacker puts his hands in the air and the ball just flies straight into his mitts? I think we was more surprised than anything... at least he wrapped the ball up well and went down fairly quickly.

Yeah. That's the impression I got. I think Wesley was shocked and just followed his natural reaction to snag the pass.

2KBack
10-31-2012, 10:41 AM
At the time, I remember telling my Wife that the smart play was to knock the pass down. If I really think about it though....Our LB got his hand on a pass, catch or knockdown, I don't care as long as we got the stop.

broncosteven
10-31-2012, 10:50 AM
If he just batted at it, it can go into the air and who knows what happens. Woodyard was fully extended when he intercepted. Not clear he could "bat" it to the ground. Bird in the hand.

he was falling to the ground and even had to make a second effort to make sure to secure the ball. No way he would have batted it up, all he had to do was bring it with him to the ground and make sure it hit the ground while he bobbled it. When things are going full speed it is hard to do and you don't want to confuse people if he should have a shot at the same type of play later in the game with the game on the line.

Could he have bobbled it and it been incomplete? Yes

Was it a better play that he covered it? Yes

Should he have gotten up and ran with it? Dunno, yards are always good.

Action
10-31-2012, 11:32 AM
No, he shouldn't have knocked it down, and I guarantee you in film study they didn't tell him to knock it down next time.

An interception does much more for momentum (no matter what down) for your team, and it's much more damaging to the other team's QB's mindset than just a deflection.

And considering where he was on the field, that would be completely unnecessary to knock it down...

Broncos have been needing an aggressive defense with the mindset to take the ball away, and we're complaining that one of our LB's caught an interception?

EDIT
Yeah I just watched that play again, and saw how the defense and TEAM reacted to the interception, and you have to be completely clueless to think he should have knocked it down.

baja
10-31-2012, 11:47 AM
No, he shouldn't have knocked it down, and I guarantee you in film study they didn't tell him to knock it down next time.

An interception does much more for momentum (no matter what down) for your team, and it's much more damaging to the other team's QB's mindset than just a deflection.

And considering where he was on the field, that would be completely unnecessary to knock it down...

Broncos have been needing an aggressive defense with the mindset to take the ball away, and we're complaining that one of our LB's caught an interception?

EDIT
Yeah I just watched that play again, and saw how the defense and TEAM reacted to the interception, and you have to be completely clueless to think he should have knocked it down.

Interception OK

Run back while loosely carrying the ball not so much.

Oh and I hope your day gets better so you don't have to sound like such a prick. ;D

Play2win
10-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Of all the times over the years people at the OM bitch about our linebackers not being able to come up with an interception... Now, when given the opportunity, you want one to purposely... eh, nevermind.

Carry on.

Action
10-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Interception OK

Run back while loosely carrying the ball not so much.

Oh and I hope your day gets better so you don't have to sound like such a prick. ;D

He didn't "loosely" carry the ball. Matter of fact he looked like he was holding onto it fairly tight.

Did you guys know that the Bears defense is coached that getting just a turnover is not enough? That they have to score to make it really worthwhile?

I believe Ravens are coached like this too.

Yeah, that's how far off base your mindsets are, and the elite defenses in the league.

My day is fine ---> it's just ridiculous some of the things people try to analyze and criticize on here, and are COMPLETELY wrong about.

Reading this thread, you would have thought Woodyard didn't make the right play.

maven
10-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Good for Woodyard. With DJ coming back that will make Denver's LB's stronger.

And yes, wtf. Snag that int from Drew Brees.

Lestat
10-31-2012, 11:58 AM

i could see him doing that since Von can be a SAM or DE and thus allow WW & DJ to be the LB's along with Brooking.
only thing that worries me is who would be the NT in that scenario. none of our DT's force a double team on them for the most part.
Vickerson or Bannan would be the guy i suppose but neither is a real space eater.

now in terms of the pick by WW. anytime you get a turnover you take it.
if he fumbles and gives it back to them further down the field then so be it. he was trying to make a play.

if you just bat it it could go off his hands and up in the air, bounce off a player or various other things.
while none of those are likely you still want the sure turnover and potential of a run back over a batted ball.

Action
10-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Shame on you Wesley for intercepting the ball at the 36 yard line in the 2nd quarter with 9 minute left and trying to score SHAME ON YOU!

Shame on you Wesley for being aggressive, the very thing your coaches have been preaching since OTAs and mini camp and training camp, which is to be aggressive, and that being aggressive is mindset, shame on you!

Wesley, you will be negatively docked for that interception and attempting to make a play. Forget that you are playing football.

WESLEY SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!

HILife
10-31-2012, 12:04 PM
good job WWIII

baja
10-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Shame on you Wesley for intercepting the ball at the 36 yard line in the 2nd quarter with 9 minute left and trying to score SHAME ON YOU!

Shame on you Wesley for being aggressive, the very thing your coaches have been preaching since OTAs and mini camp and training camp, which is to be aggressive, and that being aggressive is mindset, shame on you!

Wesley, you will be negatively docked for that interception and attempting to make a play. Forget that you are playing football.

WESLEY SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!

I was right you are a prick.

...and not even having a good day saves you.

Action
10-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Wesley, shame on you for taking the opportunity to pick off Drew Brees...what in the hell were you thinking? Didn't you know that there have been teams in the past that screwed up by trying to pick it off in the endzone or near the endzone in the 4th quarter when the games were on the line?

Oh what is that? this is the 2nd quarter with 9 minutes left? No forget that, aren't you reading the posts in this thread by the brilliant minds of orangemane posters?

WESLEY SHAME ON YOU!!!

I think I agree with you guys, Wesley could have made a better play by knocking it down.

It REALLY makes sense now.

Action
10-31-2012, 12:08 PM
I was right you are a prick.

...and not even having a good day saves you.

lighten up man -- it's Halloween.

baja
10-31-2012, 12:12 PM
lighten up man -- it's Halloween.

Love how the condescending guy new to the thread tells the poster having a reasonable discussion with the others to lighten up.

Ya it's me, my bad ;D

Action
10-31-2012, 12:14 PM
Love how the condescending guy new to the thread tells the poster having a reasonable discussion with the others to lighten up.

Ya it's me, my bad ;D

pumpkin pie sounds good right about now.

Al Wilson
10-31-2012, 12:19 PM
WWII has been awesome all year. He's not great in coverage, but he has been improving week by week. I wouldn't sit him for DJ. He's playing better than DJ would in my opinion. And he brings a fire and leadership to this defense.

BroncoLifer
10-31-2012, 01:46 PM

No, but there was once a guy who intercepted Tom Brady on 4th down to basically clinch a playoff victory but the fool fumbled it back trying to return the interception for meaningless return yardage and cost his team the game. Maybe Boltaneer or 400HZ would like to comment........

errand
10-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Wesley Woodyard is just the 9th player ever since sacks were officially a statistic (1982) to record at least 10 tackles (he had 13) and 1 sack, 1 INT, and 1 FF in a single game....he is also one of only two players this season to have recorded 50 tackles with multiple INT's and sacks

He also is the first player in franchise history to have recorded 50 tackles with multiple sacks and INT's by the mid point of the season.....and given the number of pretty good to great LB's this franchise has had (Gradishar, Jackson, Wilson, Romo to name a few) that's saying something.

I think it's time to give him his due and realize he's better than most of you think he is.

lonestar
10-31-2012, 02:43 PM
Woodyard Named AFC Defensive Player of the Week
October 31st, 2012 - 8:38am by Stuart Zaas

After turning in one of the top statistical performances in NFL history, linebacker Wesley Woodyard has been named the AFC Defensive Player of the Week.

Against the Saints, Woodyard became just the ninth player since sacks began to be tracked in 1982 to record at least 10 tackles, one sack, one interception and one forced fumble in the same game.

He finished with a game-high 13 tackles, tying a career high. He set career marks in sack yards (12), interception return yards (8) and pass breakups (2), while matching career bests in tackles, interceptions, sacks and forced fumbles in Denver’s 34-14 win.

Woodyard is one of just two players in the league to tally 50 tackles, three sacks and two interceptions this season, and is the first Bronco in franchise history to reach 50 tackles and multiple sacks and interceptions by the midpoint of the season.

just bet dream wants dj back for his spot..