PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mays Contract Question

wolf754life
10-30-2012, 09:30 AM
He signed 3 yr 12 million dollar deal. 4.5 of it guaranteed, i think it was already paid to him. Was wondering if anyone can confirm, i think we can cut him this off-season and not owe him the remaining 8 million.

Good guy, terrible LB, hope he heals up well, thanks for the honest try Joe, but the broncos need better skill.

Knowshon Moreno counts $3.4M against our 2013 Cap. Mays Counts 4.1 million in 2013, Thats $7.5M in wasted production. We are going to need that money to lock up Clady, Tony Carter and Kevin Vickerson.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/joe-mays/

swaiy
10-30-2012, 09:33 AM
The broncos would take 500K cap hit but yeah, only the first year was guaranteed.

Garcia Bronco
10-30-2012, 09:36 AM
It's always amused me that fandom reaches the level of team finance. Why would you ever worry about that?

Tombstone RJ
10-30-2012, 09:37 AM
The broncos would take 500K cap hit but yeah, only the first year was guaranteed.

Either this or Mays restructures and comes back for a lot less.

Tombstone RJ
10-30-2012, 09:38 AM
It's always amused me that fandom reaches the level of team finance. Why would you ever worry about that?

the cap effect

swaiy
10-30-2012, 09:40 AM

Why worry about fans who worry about team finance? A fan is a fan.

TheReverend
10-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Would probably require an injury settlement given current circumstances.

TonyR
10-30-2012, 09:51 AM

Why? Because this team clearly operates with a budget. So wasted money means fewer FA opportunities/alternatives. The Broncos had clear opportunities to upgrade this past offseason, particularly at LB, and the only logical explanation is that finances were the largest factor in going with Mays over other options.

DENVERDUI55
10-30-2012, 10:25 AM
What would sending DJ packing save us?

uplink
10-30-2012, 10:29 AM
It now appears having the Saints show interest in a defensive player is not a sign the player is any good. Bunkley is not even activated for the latest saints games, dogged a bullet there but did bite and signed Mays.

eddie mac
10-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Broncos dont and haven't cared about the cap since Shanahan left. It's all cash now.

Agamemnon
10-30-2012, 10:56 AM
I don't care as long as he's gone next season. Dude was the worst starting MLB I've ever seen.

BroncoMan4ever
10-30-2012, 10:59 AM

I'm almost positive this is his last year on contract.

fdf
10-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Why? Because this team clearly operates with a budget. So wasted money means fewer FA opportunities/alternatives.

Cash and Cap are two completely different things. "Budget" is cash.

ZONA
10-30-2012, 11:40 AM

So keep Mays and send DJ packing? For real?

wolf754life
10-30-2012, 11:58 AM
DJ's cap ihit next year is around 6 million i think

Beantown Bronco
10-30-2012, 12:12 PM
9/6/2008: Signed a six-year, $32 million contract. The deal contains $13 million guaranteed, including a $4.5 million "signing" bonus in the second year and a $3 million roster bonus in the third. 2012: $5 million, 2013: $6 million, 2014: Free Agent

swaiy
10-30-2012, 12:16 PM
It now appears having the Saints show interest in a defensive player is not a sign the player is any good. Bunkley is not even activated for the latest saints games, dogged a bullet there but did bite and signed Mays.

Well to be fair, he was inactive so they could have more pass rushers to combat the passing game. The joke was on them because apparently they forgot this team still runs. Also, there is no such thing as stopping a peyton manning passing attack.

They were expecting a shootout but what they didnt expect is our defense stopping them.

38 runs
30 passes

SonOfLe-loLang
10-30-2012, 12:36 PM
He signed 3 yr 12 million dollar deal. 4.5 of it guaranteed, i think it was already paid to him. Was wondering if anyone can confirm, i think we can cut him this off-season and not owe him the remaining 8 million.

Good guy, terrible LB, hope he heals up well, thanks for the honest try Joe, but the broncos need better skill.

Knowshon Moreno counts $3.4M against our 2013 Cap. Mays Counts 4.1 million in 2013, Thats $7.5M in wasted production. We are going to need that money to lock up Clady, Tony Carter and Kevin Vickerson.

I look forward to the first game Tony Carter gets beat like a drum, and the mane calls for his head.

TheReverend
10-30-2012, 12:56 PM
I look forward to the first game Tony Carter gets beat like a drum, and the mane calls for his head.

Ha!

This IS inevitable

BroncoMan4ever
10-30-2012, 01:41 PM
9/6/2008: Signed a six-year, $32 million contract. The deal contains $13 million guaranteed, including a $4.5 million "signing" bonus in the second year and a $3 million roster bonus in the third. 2012: $5 million, 2013: $6 million, 2014: Free Agent

I could have sworn this was DJ's last year under contract

gyldenlove
10-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Ha!

This IS inevitable

It always happens.

Lestat
10-30-2012, 03:33 PM

someone doesn't remember the cap hell we had to endure after the Darryl Garnder and etc hazardous signings.

Lestat
10-30-2012, 03:34 PM

didn't that already happen when he was signed to the active roster last year?

rocco66
10-30-2012, 04:01 PM

sgbfan
10-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Why? Because this team clearly operates with a budget. So wasted money means fewer FA opportunities/alternatives. The Broncos had clear opportunities to upgrade this past offseason, particularly at LB, and the only logical explanation is that finances were the largest factor in going with Mays over other options.

Also, small cap hit + Large contract = likely cut = Happy sgbfan

ZONA
10-30-2012, 07:05 PM

I tell you what it would not save us. A huge risk of filling his position with another FA. When FA comes next year, we'll see what's out there. Unless we go with a 1st round big time MLB talent, I wouldn't be so quick to cut him.

And to be honest, let's see what he can do under JDR and what he can do for this defense this year. Then we'll see where he's at and if it's smart to go looking elsewhere. I mean, what if he comes back, and in this defense, tears it up. I'm not so certain he will take the huge risk of getting another suspension, because he will be approaching 3rd strike territory and I'm sure he knows if he is suspended again, it will be for the entire year and that will be the end of his NFL career.

I'm not leaning either way at this point. My position is let's wait and see how he does the rest of the year when he comes back and then evaluate from there.

Beantown Bronco
10-30-2012, 08:08 PM
I'm not so certain he will take the huge risk of getting another suspension, because he will be approaching 3rd strike territory and I'm sure he knows if he is suspended again, it will be for the entire year and that will be the end of his NFL career.

3 strike laws have never worked in any setting. Why? Career criminals aren't usually logical thinkers.

~Crash~
10-31-2012, 07:10 AM

No need to cut him . rework his contract and use him the way that he is best ST and short yardyardage... He is our coach right now in film so I say hire him as a coach. it is classy someting I think Elway is .