PDA

View Full Version : Which is the bigger deal? SNF or MNF

Kaylore
10-30-2012, 07:03 AM
I am curious if other people share my opinion on this...

rmsanger
10-30-2012, 07:05 AM
MNF as there are not an entire day of games played before it. NBC is probably a better format for the nationally televised prime-time even but I still give the nod to MNF > SNF.

Archer81
10-30-2012, 07:07 AM
SNF. Not sure why, but they just seem to be better all around than MNF.

:Broncos:

bronco militia
it used to MNF, but that changed when the NFL allowed games to be flexed on Sunday night games..

Smilin Assassin
Sunday Night.

By then I'm still in football mode. Come monday, unless it's Denver, I forget he game is on half the time.

That said, being on the east coast I wish we played all our games on sunday afternoon :)

Kaylore
10-30-2012, 07:10 AM
Left the "T" off the SNF for some reason.

Rock Chalk
10-30-2012, 07:13 AM
Either is fine because that means its on TV and I can watch it without going to the first row site and wrapping my computer in a condom.

bronco militia
10-30-2012, 07:16 AM
did anyone watch the game last night?

http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Gruden-cane.jpg

BroncoBeavis
10-30-2012, 07:19 AM
SNF gets the marquee matchups now. It used to be (when ABC had MNF and ESPN had SNF) that it was the opposite. MNF was where top matchups were placed back then. But there was no flex then so what sometimes looked good at the beginning of the season didn't look so good a few weeks in.

So I think SNF delivers a more consistent marquee game night week to week. But it did seem like a bigger deal when that top game was all by itself on Monday night.

Today though, there's no comparing the two.

ColoradoDarin
10-30-2012, 07:22 AM
SNF.

It used to be MNF when it was on ABC, but since they moved to E!spn, it's been downhill, but it was getting bad the last few years on ABC anyways. Better matchups on Sunday and Chris Collinsworth is the best color man in the game today. Plus since we dropped to antenna TV, SNF is the only one I can get without going to stream 2 watch or first row (3 night games a week is too much for me on east coast time).

Rohirrim
10-30-2012, 07:23 AM
Al Michaels and Chris Collingsworth make the MNF crew sound like amateurs. Definitely SNF is best.

Jason in LA
10-30-2012, 07:24 AM
If the debate is about production, then there is an argument. But if it is about the match ups, it's not even close. When MNF went to ESPN and SNF went to NBC, SNF was given much better games. SNF gets high profile games while MNF has gotten a lot of duds.

ColoradoDarin
10-30-2012, 07:30 AM
MNF (and now TNF) gets division matchups while SNF gets good games.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-30-2012, 07:30 AM
SNF.

National broadcast audience vs. Cable? Pfft. No contest.

They both **** down the neck of TNF.

Broncomutt
10-30-2012, 07:31 AM
SNF

I like Tirico and Gruden, but Al Michaels and Collinsworth are probably my favorite announcer crew.

broncswin
10-30-2012, 07:34 AM
SNF

I like Tirico and Gruden, but Al Michaels and Collinsworth are probably my favorite announcer crew.

This...not even close. Just another example of ESPN messing things up.

Kaylore
10-30-2012, 07:34 AM
Looks like what I was thinking. I think SNF wins hands down. In fact I was lamenting how crappy MNF has become. It seems most of the nights I don't care. The games just don't seem as epic as the SNF ones do. I don't think ESPN has done a good job with it either. It seems like every year they are fumbling something. First it was having celebrities in the booth talking about bull crap. Then it was Korheiser in the booth. Then it was the Hank Williams Jr. fiasco. Now they have a different opening every week. They never really seem like they commited to the MNF theme. It's always too quiet and you can barely hear it. Once Jaws left I realized Mike Tirico is a wooden facimile of himself and just annoying. It's just not a good product.

SNF just wins in every area. I think Al Michaels is good, maybe a bit overrated. He's still pretty good though. Collinsworth used to get on my nerves four years ago. Now I think he's probably the best color analyst in football. The games are better. They find something and stick to it. There were some rough patches when they had Pink opening but have settled into Faith Hill and she's alright. The games seem to be closer and the players seem to play with more energy. It feels more like a playoff game than the MNF does.

It just seems cut and dry to me. The flex thing helps, but the early games that aren't flexed are better than MNF too.

bronco militia
10-30-2012, 07:56 AM
faith hill's legs are epic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcnESvQCiAo

RedskinBronco
10-30-2012, 08:03 AM
SNF is better coverage in every aspect.

Announcers, Matchups, Cameras, Crowd Noise, etc. It comes through the TV better than MNF.

Tirico and Gruden are not bad, just the overall experience is better with SNF. Some of the camera angles ESPN uses are horrible. They are trying so hard to be cutting edge and their controversial bravado gets really old. Sure collinsworth had the whole Manning thumb drama, but overall they analyze and present better than ESPN who is so infatuated with controversy.

Pick Six
10-30-2012, 08:06 AM
Monday Night Football used to be an EVENT. Now, it's just the last game of the week. It's not really their fault. Now, there are so many other television options for Monday night. Sunday Night Football is just a poser. They both suck. Don't even get me started on Thursday Night Football. The only bad thing about having Manning is so many prime time games. I like to watch football on Sunday afternoon, and be done with it...:tearhair:

Drunk Monkey
10-30-2012, 08:09 AM
I voted MNF for Gruden. I think he does a great job as an announcer and is probably my favorite. Him aside I would probably change my vote to SNF.

TheReverend
10-30-2012, 08:10 AM
SNF. Because it had Madden. Because it continues to be more professionally done.

Jay3
10-30-2012, 08:15 AM
SNF in a blowout. NBC gets its pick of the games, whereas ESPN has to take whatever the NFL wants to give it. (Contractually, NBC's terms are much better).

It's a better time to watch a game for me.

Smilin Assassin
10-30-2012, 08:23 AM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vFW833OyKFE?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kid A
10-30-2012, 08:29 AM
If the debate is about production, then there is an argument. But if it is about the match ups, it's not even close. When MNF whet to ESPN and SNF went to NBC, SNF was given much better games. SNF gets high profile games while MNF has gotten a lot of duds.

Sunday does get the better games. And I think their pregame "Football Night in America" show is one of the better ones; lots of focus on highlights from all the games. And I agree with Redskin above that the production value, sound design, camera work, etc seems a step above.

Obviously Gruden on MNF bothers a lot of people, but once you get past the schtick and the catchphrases he really is a pretty insightful color guy. He runs down what was going on and the strategy right away nearly every play.

Tombstone RJ
10-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Looks like what I was thinking. I think SNF wins hands down. In fact I was lamenting how crappy MNF has become. It seems most of the nights I don't care. The games just don't seem as epic as the SNF ones do. I don't think ESPN has done a good job with it either. It seems like every year they are fumbling something. First it was having celebrities in the booth talking about bull crap. Then it was Korheiser in the booth. Then it was the Hank Williams Jr. fiasco. Now they have a different opening every week. They never really seem like they commited to the MNF theme. It's always too quiet and you can barely hear it. Once Jaws left I realized Mike Tirico is a wooden facimile of himself and just annoying. It's just not a good product.

SNF just wins in every area. I think Al Michaels is good, maybe a bit overrated. He's still pretty good though. Collinsworth used to get on my nerves four years ago. Now I think he's probably the best color analyst in football. The games are better. They find something and stick to it. There were some rough patches when they had Pink opening but have settled into Faith Hill and she's alright. The games seem to be closer and the players seem to play with more energy. It feels more like a playoff game than the MNF does.

It just seems cut and dry to me. The flex thing helps, but the early games that aren't flexed are better than MNF too.

SNF is much better than MNF. I wish ESPN would pull their heads out of their asses and just have 2 people in the booth. Tirico and Fouts. That's it.

I still think that Fouts is by far the best color analyst available.

BroncoBeavis
10-30-2012, 08:43 AM

I thought about this and then thought about our SNF game this week. On paper it wasn't nearly the matchup it appeared it would be at the beginning of the season. I mean the Saints have 2 wins. But I guess since they were a top team last year, their death throes are more interesting to watch than say the Cards predictably ****ting the bed against the Niners.

But once flex kicks in, it's a whole different thing.

Tombstone RJ
10-30-2012, 08:55 AM
I thought about this and then thought about our SNF game this week. On paper it wasn't nearly the matchup it appeared it would be at the beginning of the season. I mean the Saints have 2 wins. But I guess since they were a top team last year, their death throes are more interesting to watch than say the Cards predictably ****ting the bed against the Niners.

But once flex kicks in, it's a whole different thing.

SNF (I think it was Collingsworth) said that this was the last time Manning and Brees will face each other during the regular season (it will be another 4 years before the Saints and the Broncos meet in the regular season). So I think this had a lot to do with scheduling this game for primetime Sunday night.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-30-2012, 09:24 AM
Sunday does get the better games. And I think their pregame "Football Night in America" show is one of the better ones; lots of focus on highlights from all the games. And I agree with Redskin above that the production value, sound design, camera work, etc seems a step above.

Obviously Gruden on MNF bothers a lot of people, but once you get past the schtick and the catchphrases he really is a pretty insightful color guy. He runs down what was going on and the strategy right away nearly every play.

Football Night in America is SO much better than Monday Night Countdown. And you don't have to deal with retarded-ass Chris Berman.

God, I hate that sweaty ****.

TheReverend
10-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Football Night in America is SO much better than Monday Night Countdown. And you don't have to deal with retarded-ass Chris Berman.

God, I hate that sweaty ****.

I'm good with Berman. It's Keyshawn and Carter and Dilfer and Stuart Scott that are constant streams of cringe for me.

Garcia Bronco
10-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Used to be MNF, but now it's on cable and espn, so I downgrade it
SNF used to be lessor than any game, was only on cable. Now public TV, so it's upgraded

making both the same over time.

Worst now is TNF. The NFL coverage is below average.

Kaylore
10-30-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm good with Berman. It's Keyshawn and Carter and Dilfer and Stuart Scott that are constant streams of cringe for me.

Stuart Scott and his lame questions. "Trent, why is Manning so good? Steve, how are the Niners so powerful? Trent, why is the NFL so big?"

Ditka is good. Carter and his wishy-wash answers with his plastic eyebrows is not. Keyshawn is litterally a little worse than any guy off the street. I'm ok with Berman. He tends to wax nostalgic a little too much for my taste. And Tom Jackson is the man.

tsiguy96
10-30-2012, 09:48 AM
im really looking forward to 1pm EST games, 3 of the next 4. get to watch the broncos game first thing, then do what i want.

TheReverend
10-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Stuart Scott and his lame questions. "Trent, why is Manning so good? Steve, how are the Niners so powerful? Trent, why is the NFL so big?"

Ditka is good. Carter and his wishy-wash answers with his plastic eyebrows is not. Keyshawn is litterally a little worse than any guy off the street. I'm ok with Berman. He tends to wax nostalgic a little too much for my taste. And Tom Jackson is the man.

You forgot Scott's constant barrage of random non sequiturs. Drives me crazy.

Steve Sewell
10-30-2012, 09:53 AM
SNF is better because it has better games and I'm still in football mode.

I can't believe people actually prefer Collinsworth the Bronco hater. Gruden is a much, much better color analyst than him and he's not even really trying. Al Michaels is way way way better than Mike Tirico though.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-30-2012, 10:01 AM

Meh, Berman didn't bother me. Now his schtick is just ****ing old.

I'm no fan of Key either. Really, that show was a ****load better when it was just Berman and TJ. Stu Scott (and his horrific wardrobe choices) is turrible.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
10-30-2012, 10:01 AM

Stu: "Chris, ****in' magnets. How do they work?"

broncosteven
10-30-2012, 10:04 AM
I grew up on MNF so it is the bigger draw to me, I admit to being burned out on football after watching about 6+ hours of it.

I do admit the Sunday night coverage is better.

Denver Bronco56
10-30-2012, 10:10 AM
I would have to think it would be SNF... everyone is still in football mode, NBC is a local station so everyone receives it as opposed to ESPN which is a cable programming. And as stated the announcers win hands down

TheReverend
10-30-2012, 10:12 AM
I grew up on MNF so it is the bigger draw to me, I admit to being burned out on football after watching about 6+ hours of it.

I do admit the Sunday night coverage is better.

...but the OLD MNF is the new SNF

Play2win
10-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Plus, NBC seems to be the better HD, at least on my screen.

Play2win
10-30-2012, 10:14 AM
im really looking forward to 1pm EST games, 3 of the next 4. get to watch the broncos game first thing, then do what i want.

What?!?

The Broncos were MADE for the late game.

BroncoBeavis
10-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Plus, NBC seems to be the better HD, at least on my screen.

In my experience OTA (network) HD always looks better than the super-compressed stuff I see from digital cable.

Maybe that varies by cable/satellite provider though.

Kaylore
10-30-2012, 10:35 AM
In my experience OTA (network) HD always looks better than the super-compressed stuff I see from digital cable.

Maybe that varies by cable/satellite provider though.

As someone who has had Comcast, Dish and Direct, I can say unequivocally OTA is better. BTW, Dish allows you to do both - you can get an OTA module and it will work with the Dish DVR seamlessly folding in the OTA channels with your normal dish guide and will record on the DVR. Word of warning, though, the 1080i recordings take up more room on the DVR than the 720P of satelite and cable broadcasts. Just an FYI.

canadianbroncosfan
10-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Al Michaels and Chris Collingsworth make the MNF crew sound like amateurs. Definitely SNF is best.

^

For no other reason than this

Wait I lied, Faith Hill too

Play2win
10-30-2012, 10:47 AM
As someone who has had Comcast, Dish and Direct, I can say unequivocally OTA is better. BTW, Dish allows you to do both - you can get an OTA module and it will work with the Dish DVR seamlessly folding in the OTA channels with your normal dish guide and will record on the DVR. Word of warning, though, the 1080i recordings take up more room on the DVR than the 720P of satelite and cable broadcasts. Just an FYI.

Interesting. Thanks :thumbsup:

tsiguy96
10-30-2012, 11:33 AM
What?!?

The Broncos were MADE for the late game.

and they havent played an early game yet this season. not that i dont appreciate broncos MNF or SNF, but its also nice to turn on football and watch your team, not wait.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-30-2012, 11:44 AM
I get the impression the league sees SNF as the marquee game

razorwire77
10-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Sunday night football, and it's not even close.

Honestly, I think Collinsworth and Michaels are probably the best broadcast team in the modern era (at least in my 20 year adult memory of watching football).

Play2win
10-30-2012, 12:01 PM
and they havent played an early game yet this season. not that i dont appreciate broncos MNF or SNF, but its also nice to turn on football and watch your team, not wait.

4pm EST late games...

It is strange to go basically a full month and not have them on the normal Sunday games (1pm/4pm starts).

BroncoDoug
10-30-2012, 12:04 PM
No love for Thursday night? Ha jk, like its been said SNF has better matchups and announcers

Willynowei
10-30-2012, 01:08 PM
People choosing dopy face Collinsworth over John ****ing Gruden?

You guys are all a bunch of idiots.

I don't care about anything else, as long as Gruden's on MNF, that's my pick out of these two. Al Michaels is great though, no arguing that.

cmhargrove
10-30-2012, 01:19 PM
I definitely agree that the pregame show, the commentating, and the production of SNF is superior right now.

Also, I would much rather drink beer on Sunday night and have a rough Monday, than drink on Monday night and have a rough Tuesday.

Just drink for thought...