PDA

View Full Version : Eye Opener on Personnel

manchambo
10-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Was anyone else as impressed as I was when they showed a list of Elway's free agent signings last night? That's a long list of very solid contributors, even excluding Manning, and nary an IHOP in the bunch. Combine that with the past few years of not busting on most of your draft picks, and all of the sudden you have a solid team. Funny how that works.

gyldenlove
10-29-2012, 08:04 AM
What really stood out was how many games they have played - the majority had more than 100 games played. I think Elway was set on getting dependable players to complement the roster (with Manning being the exception) and I think he did a good job of that. Most of the "stars" on the team currently are holdovers, Mcgahee, Clady, Bailey, Thomas, Decker, Miller, Dumervil, Vickerson and Woodyard are all players who have played here at least a full season and most of them more than that.

Rohirrim
10-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Yeah. It's funny how many times I've heard experts tell me that Elway can't do something. ;D

ColoradoDarin
10-29-2012, 08:18 AM
The Well Known Manning Effect.

Br0nc0Buster
10-29-2012, 08:23 AM
This is how FA is supposed to be used
Finding solid contributors to round out the roster
Not trying to lockdown positions with long term deals

That is what got Shanny in trouble and it looks like Elway learned from his mistakes

Elway has done a good job assembling this team just 2 years after McDaniels gutted it

Jay3
10-29-2012, 08:30 AM
With very few exceptions, free agents should be low-risk, solid contributors to fill short term holes. Except in the case of a Manning, stay away from the high-stakes free agents. Your franchise players will come mostly from drafting. Free agency patches the ship as you sail along.

RedskinBronco
10-29-2012, 08:49 AM
In Elway I trust.

DENVERDUI55
10-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Yeah. It's funny how many times I've heard experts tell me that Elway can't do something. ;D

Yeah it's funny how guys here that have zero NFL experience and zero GM or high level CEO experience can judge Elway. They claim he is clueless and over his head which is just ignorant on their part. Elway has done a great job and he realizes how hard it is to win in this league without a real good QB.

bronco militia
10-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Lol!! two weeks ago, they were garbage. **** this thread

they are mostly solid players...nothing special about the group other than Manning.

Kaylore
10-29-2012, 09:14 AM
It's important to remember that members of the media were mocking Elway and the Broncos around the league when he came on. I remember one NFL executive alegedly texted PFT and told them "bring it on!" in a sarcastic way suggesting Elway would make the team weaker. Right now, if things continue he's probably in line for Executive of the year.

manchambo
10-29-2012, 09:32 AM

they are mostly solid players...nothing special about the group other than Manning.

You're totally missing the point. They are mostly solid players. But when you add a bunch of solid players, draft some superior players, and add one of the best players ever, you get a very good team. That's in marked distinction from what happened for the past ten or so years, where they tried to add their big time players through free agency and whiffed, and also missed on far too many draft picks.

Traveler
10-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Not to turn this into a Tebow bashing thread, but I can't help to be thankful to Elway for pursuing and acquiring Manning. It's such a joy to watch this offense developing the way it is.

There were times last year when it was extremely hard for me to watch the offense with Tebow behind center. I could see the frustration on the receivers faces and felt badly for them. Look at how both Thomas and Decker are now flourishing with Manning under center. Next year the league better watch out!

bronco militia
10-29-2012, 10:48 AM
You're totally missing the point. They are mostly solid players. But when you add a bunch of solid players, draft some superior players, and add one of the best players ever, you get a very good team. That's in marked distinction from what happened for the past ten or so years, where they tried to add their big time players through free agency and whiffed, and also missed on far too many draft picks.

and you totaly forget/dismiss this place bashing the roster for most of the season Ha!

baja
10-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Not to turn this into a Tebow bashing thread, but I can't help to be thankful to Elway for pursuing and acquiring Manning. It's such a joy to watch this offense developing the way it is.

There were times last year when it was extremely hard for me to watch the offense with Tebow behind center. I could see the frustration on the receivers faces and felt badly for them. Look at how both Thomas and Decker are now flourishing with Manning under center. Next year the league better watch out!

I think they better watch THIS year! ;D

Traveler
10-29-2012, 11:06 AM
I think they better watch THIS year! ;D

We are still a couple of major players away, but I like how they seem to be getting better as the season goes on. Can you imagine how really good we could be with a dominant MLB (T'eo). Add another power back with speed (Davis). That would elevate the offense to another level and definitely instill fear into opposing defenses.

We'll definitely make some noise this year, but next year, with a few tweaks in personnel, we'd have to be considered one of the top teams to reach the SB.

DBroncos4life
10-29-2012, 11:27 AM
and you totaly forget/dismiss this place bashing the roster for most of the season Ha!

Not all of us thought a certain QB was the only reason why this team won last year.

broncocalijohn
10-29-2012, 12:26 PM

Or you bashing to can John Fox afew weeks back.

Tombstone RJ
10-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Was anyone else as impressed as I was when they showed a list of Elway's free agent signings last night? That's a long list of very solid contributors, even excluding Manning, and nary an IHOP in the bunch. Combine that with the past few years of not busting on most of your draft picks, and all of the sudden you have a solid team. Funny how that works.

Ha! This place was all upset about all the "unsigned" FAs that the Broncos didn't get that the Omane had no time to completely absorb and reflect upon the signed FAs. The FAs that were brought in simply weren't flashy enough for most of the tards who post here.

and you tards know who you are... ROFL!

bronco militia
10-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Or you bashing to can John Fox afew weeks back.

I'm not done with Foxball......

bronco militia
10-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Ha! This place was all upset about all the "unsigned" FAs that the Broncos didn't get that the Omane had no time to completely absorb and reflect upon the signed FAs. The FAs that were brought in simply weren't flashy enough for most of the tards who post here.

and you tards know who you are... ROFL!

LOL

rbackfactory80
10-29-2012, 12:57 PM

Yes.

Br0nc0Buster
10-29-2012, 01:15 PM
"But we could of had Jeff Saturday"

Popps
10-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Last night was pretty much the template of how they wanted to build out this team. Talented secondary, big passing numbers on offense and playing with a lead. It's a beautiful thing when it works. Still, I've got my concerns about facing more balanced teams like ATL, HOU, NE, etc.

Still, we're in the drivers's seat in the division and certainly look like a potential 9-10 win playoff team. Great to watch.

baja
10-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Last night was pretty much the template of how they wanted to build out this team. Talented secondary, big passing numbers on offense and playing with a lead. It's a beautiful thing when it works. Still, I've got my concerns about facing more balanced teams like ATL, HOU, NE, etc.

Still, we're in the drivers's seat in the division and certainly look like a potential 9-10 win playoff team. Great to watch.

We saw how quickly it all could change when manning smashed his thumb on the helmet of the NO player. Luckily it is OK but it could be a out for a few weeks type just as easily.

The good news Manning was not sacked in that game but he did take one vicious hit. Coulda been called helmet to helmet.

BroncoMan4ever
10-29-2012, 01:32 PM
It's important to remember that members of the media were mocking Elway and the Broncos around the league when he came on. I remember one NFL executive alegedly texted PFT and told them "bring it on!" in a sarcastic way suggesting Elway would make the team weaker. Right now, if things continue he's probably in line for Executive of the year.

He became front runner for the award with getting Peyton
Add in Koppen, easily the best free agent signing aside from PM. and then the team is now firing on all cylinders. This keeps up all year and there will be a lot of accolades coming to this franchise at the end of the year.

Pony Boy
10-29-2012, 01:33 PM

The media was expecting Elway to be another Matt Millen a former player that didn't know "come here from sic 'em" on how to put a competitive team on the field.

chrisp
10-29-2012, 01:48 PM
The thing that's different about Elway is that he hasn't gone about it like an egomaniac trying to do it all himself and put 'his' stamp on everything. He's really gone about it with a real team ethic...

Of course it helps that he already made a massive name for himself many years ago. It helps that he didn't have to do this in order to prove himself. But many big stars can't put their ego to one side no matter what.

I wasn't sure if Elway was going to be successful when he started, but I liked his style, felt it was the right way and wanted it to be rewarded with success. Don't want to curse it 'cos we haven't won anything yet (well, division title last year actually...) but I definitely feel he has the entire organisation headed in the right direction

Fedaykin
10-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Clearly this thread is in error. I have it on good authority -- from several posters on the Mane -- that Elway is a complete bumbling fool, and has no business running an NFL team.

Irish Stout
10-29-2012, 02:27 PM
The media was expecting Elway to be another Matt Millen a former player that didn't know "come here from sic 'em" on how to put a competitive team on the field.

The difference is/was that Matt Millen's name is Matt Millen and John Elway happens to be mother****ing John Elway.

baja
10-29-2012, 02:46 PM
The thing that's different about Elway is that he hasn't gone about it like an egomaniac trying to do it all himself and put 'his' stamp on everything. He's really gone about it with a real team ethic...

Of course it helps that he already made a massive name for himself many years ago. It helps that he didn't have to do this in order to prove himself. But many big stars can't put their ego to one side no matter what.

I wasn't sure if Elway was going to be successful when he started, but I liked his style, felt it was the right way and wanted it to be rewarded with success. Don't want to curse it 'cos we haven't won anything yet (well, division title last year actually...) but I definitely feel he has the entire organisation headed in the right direction

What endeared me to Elway and gave me hope for him running an NFL team was his attitude to know what you do not know and find someone that does know and listen to them.

Drek
10-29-2012, 02:47 PM
Overall he's done pretty well. He had a nice young base to build on with guys like Thomas, Decker, Beadles (really stepping up this year), etc. already here, but he's made some good fill ins and his two signature moves (Miller and Manning) have both been excellent.

I'd like to see a bit more aggressiveness in replacing our middling players though. Sitting pat with Joe Mays was obviously a mistake, especially since they gave him more money than Jameel McClain got to return to Baltimore. That makes me worry about overvaluing our own guys, which in turn makes me wonder what we might do at a few positions we're relatively soft at (DT, MLB again, S, and maybe TE depending on how Green comes along).

Overall though he's shown a much more balanced hand with player acquisition than any of our previous player personnel guys. I think this is because he primarily works as a consensus builder, letting the coaching and scouting staff really paint a good picture for him without weighing his own views too heavily. This was a weakness for both Shanahan and McDaniels, neither one of them would have had the insight to spend the #2 overall pick on a linebacker.

crush17
10-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Thank you John Elway.

pricejj
10-29-2012, 03:13 PM
I'd like to see a bit more aggressiveness in replacing our middling players though. Sitting pat with Joe Mays was obviously a mistake, especially since they gave him more money than Jameel McClain got to return to Baltimore. QUOTE]

I think Brooking is better than McClain. McClain is not a 'great' 4-3 MLB by any stretch of imagination. I don't think Hawthorne would have been much of an upgrade either.

Curtis Lofton would have been nice, Hightower would have been good too.

Going forward, Te'o is the best option (by far) but will go top 10. I think Ogletree would have to be the most-likeable option in the 2013 offseason, unless DJ suddenly emerges as a good MLB. Maualuga gets his eye-test for Free Agency this Sunday, though the Bengals Defense is not very good, and part of that rests on Maualuga.

Drek
10-29-2012, 03:22 PM
I think Brooking is better than McClain. McClain is not a 'great' 4-3 MLB by any stretch of imagination. I don't think Hawthorne would have been much of an upgrade either.

Going forward, Te'o is the best option (by far) but will go top 10. I think Ogletree would have to be the most-likeable option in the 2013 offseason, unless DJ suddenly emerges as a good MLB. Maualuga gets his eye-test for Free Agency this Sunday, though the Bengals Defense is not very good, and part of that rests on Maualuga.

McClain is a pretty solid, versatile LB. I'm not saying he'd be the long term answer, but he got a 3/$10.5M deal while we gave Mays a 3/$12M deal. He obviously would have been a better option than Mays, which is the big key here.

I think Hawthorne would have been a good pickup too, though probably comparable to Brooking, just with longer shelf life. He's a two down guy himself.

The big answer at MLB this off-season would have been Curtis Lofton, as you mentioned, or trading for Demeco Ryans.

I don't think Maualuga is an answer at MLB for us either. He's got the same problems that DJ always had there. No ability to lead the front seven.

As a big ND fan I would LOVE to see Te'o in Denver, but unless he ****s the bed at the combine that just isn't going to happen, unfortunately.

Br0nc0Buster
10-29-2012, 03:25 PM
I'd like to see a bit more aggressiveness in replacing our middling players though. Sitting pat with Joe Mays was obviously a mistake, especially since they gave him more money than Jameel McClain got to return to Baltimore. QUOTE]

Maualuga sucks
I would rather have 84 year old Brooking

Beantown Bronco
10-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Ty Warren and to a lesser extent Joe Mays are probably the only two moves I hated from the beginning and turned out to be right about. It's nice when the duds are the exception and not the rule.

maher_tyler
10-29-2012, 03:36 PM

There were times last year when it was extremely hard for me to watch the offense with Tebow behind center. I could see the frustration on the receivers faces and felt badly for them. Look at how both Thomas and Decker are now flourishing with Manning under center. This year the league better watch out!

FYP ;D

Lestat
10-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Yeah it's funny how guys here that have zero NFL experience and zero GM or high level CEO experience can judge Elway. They claim he is clueless and over his head which is just ignorant on their part. Elway has done a great job and he realizes how hard it is to win in this league without a real good QB.

let's be honest. most were either scarred from the McDaniels experience or were Tebow fans.

people forget he was heavily involved in the Arena Football League and won a championship with the crush.
he was clueless in NFL experience but not in overall football or front office experience.

Tombstone RJ
10-29-2012, 03:40 PM
McClain is a pretty solid, versatile LB. I'm not saying he'd be the long term answer, but he got a 3/$10.5M deal while we gave Mays a 3/$12M deal. He obviously would have been a better option than Mays, which is the big key here.

I think Hawthorne would have been a good pickup too, though probably comparable to Brooking, just with longer shelf life. He's a two down guy himself.

The big answer at MLB this off-season would have been Curtis Lofton, as you mentioned, or trading for Demeco Ryans.

I don't think Maualuga is an answer at MLB for us either. He's got the same problems that DJ always had there. No ability to lead the front seven.

As a big ND fan I would LOVE to see Te'o in Denver, but unless he ****s the bed at the combine that just isn't going to happen, unfortunately.

I think what matters about these contracts is the guaranteed money. Mays contract is basically a 1 year deal. I agree that it was still a mistake to give him $4m but I still think the Broncos were hoping Irving would step up (with JDL on the staff).

I still would have loved for the Broncos to get LaVontae Davis, he wasn't a MLB in college but the Broncos could have used his speed. Regardless, the Broncos will either be drafting a LBer on the first day or bringing in a FA. Von Miller is the only LBer with any speed to cover TEs or effectively play any zone coverage.

gunns
10-29-2012, 03:40 PM
The difference is/was that Matt Millen's name is Matt Millen and John Elway happens to be mother****ing John Elway.

Another difference is that Elway was a Bronco and has a love for the Broncos. That goes a long way in having an emotional investment in a team and making a team the best it can be. Plus he's a smart football guy. I knew he'd see the importance of defense because who knows a defense better than the QB who faces them. I am amazed at how far we've come from the McD days, hell even last year.

maher_tyler
10-29-2012, 03:59 PM

I would trade our 1st, 2nd and 3rd to get into the top 10. Only team i could see maybe going for a MLB that early is Carolina or Cleveland. Basing that off of the current standings.

lonestar
10-29-2012, 04:06 PM

we have fubared the draft for a decade prior to John taking charge.. now there was a good year here or there.. but rounds 1-3 where you build the foundation of good teams has sucked overall.

lots of Johns guys in FA have been 1-2 year rentals so the clock is ticking on the kiddies behind them stepping up..

pricejj
10-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Maualuga sucks
I would rather have 84 year old Brooking

Point taken. Thanks, I haven't seen him play.

I think the coaches viewed Mays as the best solution for this year, due to his starting experience in the same system last year. I don't fault them for that, considering what else was out there.

If you bring in a guy for 4-3 MLB, you want him to be here a long time, and be a great player (and leader) for your club. Not a good place to put in a FA stop-gap. If Brooking can finish out the year healthy, I could see the Broncos not investing a high draft pick at MLB until Manning retires, and just rolling with the options we already have next year (Brooking, DJ, Irving, Trevathan, Johnson, maybe even WW) If they are willing to start Mays, it's hard to imagine a player at MLB they wouldn't roll with.

Then they could just go BPA in the draft.

broncocalijohn
10-29-2012, 04:19 PM

Difference is I dont think Elway is much of a golfer like Millen was during the football season.

OrangeSe7en
10-29-2012, 04:33 PM
I think people shouldn't be so rigid in trying to define what we should draft, although, like many, I'd love to get Teo. However, drafting Miller when Dareus seemed like the more obvious choice to many fans, is just one example of how people should be more flexible. I just want to get an impact player, whether that's at DB, LB, DL, or RB.

baja
10-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Ty Warren and to a lesser extent Joe Mays are probably the only two moves I hated from the beginning and turned out to be right about. It's nice when the duds are the exception and not the rule.

Ty warren would have been a good signing. No way to know about the injuries. Sure wish we had him now.

fontaine
10-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Virgil Green really impressed me.

His blocking stood out where he sealed off the OLB or Will Smith routinely.

His yards after the catch were a sign of a guy who's got pretty good speed and was getting past guys.

Take it with a grain of salt because it was against the Saints but Tamme left the game early (and then came back) when he banged up his shoulder and we didn't miss a beat with Green.

Hamrob
10-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Wow...what 6 good quarters of football will do to this board!

I'd like to see at least 4-5 more games...before I turn on my "Gush"!

3 of the next 4 are on the road and 5 of the next 8 folks!

We'll get to see a lot about these guys in the coming weeks. It's way too early to openly gush at this point (4-3).

lonestar
10-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Wow...what 6 good quarters of football will do to this board!

I'd like to see at least 4-5 more games...before I turn on my "Gush"!

3 of the next 4 are on the road and 5 of the next 8 folks!

We'll get to see a lot about these guys in the coming weeks. It's way too early to openly gush at this point (4-3).

:thumbs:

kind of the way I feel..

getting more optimistic by the game, just concerned that we really looked great because the AINTS are so bad.. my how the mighty have fallen..

we play an early game near the east coast CIN with some potential of lousy weather yet from the remnants of Sandy.. or as they are calling it Frankenstorm.

their young PUP Dalton scares me a bit.. but in years past early games east of the Mississippi have not always been great games for us..

Hopefully the turn over in the team and coaching staff will get rid of that monkey..

Play2win
10-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Those were two of the best prime-time games Denver has played, in like... EONS...

KipCorrington25
10-30-2012, 06:49 PM

And that executive was Scott Pioli of course his next text was something about candy wrappers in the stair well and tapping phones but whatever... Ha!

oubronco
10-30-2012, 07:41 PM

**** a bunch of muthafuggas