PDA

View Full Version : So, do you guys still think McGahee sucks?

Mile High Salute
10-28-2012, 11:25 PM
:crazy: :loopy:

RhymesayersDU
10-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Playing against the worst defense in the league covers up a lot of warts.

RhymesayersDU
10-28-2012, 11:46 PM
I don't think McGahee sucks, but I don't think he's anything special, either. We're middle of the road at RB.

StugotsIII
10-28-2012, 11:48 PM
He fumbles WAY too much…

Hillman looked great tonight...

sgbfan
10-29-2012, 12:00 AM
McGahee is great. Rarely gets negative yards, hits the hole hard and fast. He has 2 problems, he is old and he gets injured a lot. He has had a few fumbles this year, but I don't remember that being a problem before, could be wrong.

extralife
10-29-2012, 12:13 AM
McGahee is fine, has been fine, and will continue to be fine. How quickly people forget how long it had been since we had had a back capable of running into people without immediately falling over before Willis arrived.

USMCBladerunner
10-29-2012, 05:38 AM
I can't believe these posts. McGahee is terrific. He lacks speed at this point, but his patience behind his blockers, his vision, and his heavy running style are exactly what Denver needs to complement Manning.

McGahee runs to the right spots at the right pace better than most. I like Hilman as a change of pace guy and he looks good getting the edge, but McGahee is playing like a stud week in and week out.

2KBack
10-29-2012, 05:41 AM
McGahee is great. Rarely gets negative yards, hits the hole hard and fast. He has 2 problems, he is old and he gets injured a lot. He has had a few fumbles this year, but I don't remember that being a problem before, could be wrong.

As a Bronco he has 8TD's and 7 Fumbles....He is our best at getting tough yards, but he has his serious flaws.

WolfpackGuy
10-29-2012, 06:04 AM
McGahee needs to hold onto that rock better, and it seems his fumbles come from taking an unexpected shot from a weird angle, but he rarely takes a loss unless the play is completely blown up.

Anybody else catch that that third down conversion of his when he was FB and Hillman was TB?

Jesterhole
10-29-2012, 06:24 AM
He is 50x better than Moreno, who will be out of the league and flipping burgers in two years...

MileHighMagic
10-29-2012, 06:34 AM
McGahee is a total badass but the fumbling is scaring me.

Hillman isn't worth a damn. He is small, slow and has no quickness. He broke a few last night because the Aints defense is awful.

Kaylore
10-29-2012, 06:36 AM
One of the first issues that start to manifest on older QB's is they start to fumble. I don't really know why, but it's something that happens. He's actually fumbled quite a bit the last several games. They need to teach our running backs the right way to hold a football.

We will need more help at RB next year for sure.

lolcopter
10-29-2012, 07:03 AM
Fumblerooskies gonna fumblerooskie

2KBack
10-29-2012, 07:26 AM
One of the first issues that start to manifest on older QB's is they start to fumble. I don't really know why, but it's something that happens. He's actually fumbled quite a bit the last several games. They need to teach our running backs the right way to hold a football.

Good stock of RB's this upcoming draft...we will be able to get a good runner at low cost.

baja
10-29-2012, 07:37 AM
I love watching MaGhee run with patience, vision and power. NO had no answer for him last night. He was key.

Our only problem at the RB position is depth. I haven't given up completely on KM yet. He is inactive because he does not play ST. If he is needed I believe he can surprise a lot of folks here especially the way the line is playing which is another area where we are thin.

I love the way we are playing right now but God help us if we get a few injuries, If we draft great these next two drafts this team could be elite for a good long while.

DBroncos4life
10-29-2012, 07:52 AM

Hillman isn't worth a damn. He is small, slow and has no quickness. He broke a few last night because the Aints defense is awful.

Its like you people watch a different game. LOL

spdirty
10-29-2012, 07:53 AM
Sick and tired of the fumbling.

Drunken.Broncoholic
10-29-2012, 08:03 AM
I used to love watching him run. But now I find myself looking for the ball to pop on on every single run. Almost expecting it to. But he does seem to bounce back after those fumbles and put up some good runs. It's just those fumbles are at the worst times. With manning the team can absorb those TOs. With another QB they wouldn't and McGahee would be taking heat

baja
10-29-2012, 08:17 AM
The guy I was saying WOW about is Holiday. The kid is a natural returner. He has that little hesitation where is sees the field than he takes of but he is picking his lanes. He also brushed of a few arm tackles. He did bobble the ball on one return and that is a concern but I think we got a potential great returner in him and maybe more. He looks like a player to me.

yerner
10-29-2012, 08:30 AM

Hillman is slow? Compared to what?

IBeWriteGood
10-29-2012, 09:39 AM

Compared to most NFL RB's who weigh 185 soaking wet. Jamaal Charles, Darren Sproles, Reggie Bush, CJ Spiller are all the same size/bigger and more well built and much more explosive.

Those who compared him to Sproles coming out are retarded. Sproles was clearly on a different level in terms of speed and explosiveness last night, which was evident on the catch and run.

Hillman can play a role, but I'm not sure at this point he passes the eye test as an early 3rd round pick, "scat back." Not impressed with his speed, especially for his size. And he can't step out of a tackle to save his life. Doug Martin sure would be nice.

That said, he did have some nice runs last night, and I hope he proves me wrong.

Greatspirits
10-29-2012, 10:12 AM
He plays hard but dang he needs to hold onto the ball!

Kaylore
10-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Don't the Saints have the worst ranked rush defense in the entire NFL?

pricejj
10-29-2012, 10:38 AM

Yes....

McGahee carved up the middle all night long with some nifty footwork on cutbacks. I think the fumbles are a product of the increased mental aspect to Mannings Offense.

Hillman doesn't quite get it yet. Saw him trying to bounce it too far to the outside on some runs instead of knowing when to turn it upfield.

Mile High Salute
10-29-2012, 10:41 AM
He fumbles WAY too much…

Hillman looked great tonight...

All running backs are going to fumble occasionally. Over McGahee's 2109 career touches, he has 26 fumbles, or one fumble every 81 touches. Given about 20 touches/game, that's a fumble about every 4 games. I don't think that's unreasonably high. And if you look at McGahee, one of his best qualities is that he's tough inside, fights for extra yards, and always falls forward. He is usually fighting for extra yards whenever he fumbles, so you take the good with the bad. I would rather have that than a back with better ball security that runs into the pile every time for a yard or gets dropped for a loss all the time.

Hillman? He's a nice change of pace back, but nothing more at this point in his development. He needs to stop dancing around back there and just hit the hole hard. Also, his first instinct is to bounce it outside, which is great if it works, but as we saw last night, it's a lot harder for him now than it was in college. In the NFL, everybody has great speed in getting to the edge. You've gotta be able to get the tough yards inside if you wanna be a great NFL back.

spdirty
10-29-2012, 10:42 AM
I used to love watching him run. But now I find myself looking for the ball to pop on on every single run. Almost expecting it to. But he does seem to bounce back after those fumbles and put up some good runs. It's just those fumbles are at the worst times. With manning the team can absorb those TOs. With another QB they wouldn't and McGahee would be taking heat

Yep. I get nervous every single time he touches the ball.

Mile High Salute
10-29-2012, 10:49 AM
I can't believe these posts. McGahee is terrific. He lacks speed at this point, but his patience behind his blockers, his vision, and his heavy running style are exactly what Denver needs to complement Manning.

McGahee runs to the right spots at the right pace better than most. I like Hilman as a change of pace guy and he looks good getting the edge, but McGahee is playing like a stud week in and week out.

Couldn't agree more. Here's a trivia question for all the McGahee bashers out there:

Guess which NFL running back has the most 100-yard games the past two seasons?

Hint: it's not Arian Foster, LeSean McCoy, or Adrian Peterson.

:strong: :nutkick

lonestar
10-29-2012, 10:49 AM

I think you meant RBs..

He has been solid for most of the year.. some of those fumbles have been good solid tackles with helmets hitting the sweet spot more often than not..

Not sure any RB's would be holding on to those after the hits he has taken..

I suspect some of it comes from trying to hard trying to get an extra yard and being stood up by several defenders and letting someone come in to strip while chugging along..

Yes we need another BIGGIE guy in the off season to help with the load.. by biggie I mean someone over 225 preferably 235-250 with some speed..

I do not care if another of our stable of running backs takes it to the house again.. I just want positive yards 3.5 or better on each carry and zero fumbles.. if you add the ability to get into the END ZONE inside the 5 consistently that is the perfect RB for me..

lonestar
10-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Its like you people watch a different game. LOL

was thinking the same thing when I saw it..

lonestar
10-29-2012, 10:54 AM

Yes and after last night even more so..

I really expected a bigger emotional high from them with VITT back..

Blart
10-29-2012, 12:12 PM
McGahee is an intelligent, hard runner. I'm completely happy with our #1 RB, even on his bad days.

baja
10-29-2012, 12:15 PM
NO, a sea level team seemed to really struggle with their energy. They were pooped the whole second half and you could see signs even in the first half. I thought we had a great offensive game plan to contribute to that

Blart
10-29-2012, 12:25 PM
NO, a sea level team seemed to really struggle with their energy. They were pooped the whole second half.

I can see that, but they're usually good at comebacks.

My favorite thing about the Broncos this year is that our defense becomes incredible when we have a lead. Sacks, forced fumbles, INT's... this crew can smell desperation.

Gort
10-29-2012, 12:52 PM
he doesn't suck.

but it sucks when he fumbles.

and it sucks that he has to pull himself out of the game every 2 or 3 plays.

needs to work on his cardio or something. and maybe carry around a football all day for a week to get used to holding onto it.

edog24
10-29-2012, 01:16 PM
He is fumbling a lot this year. That will hurt us against the good teams, and he needs to get it covered up for a solid playoff run. Last night it didn't really matter.

lonestar
10-29-2012, 01:17 PM
he doesn't suck.

but it sucks when he fumbles.

and it sucks that he has to pull himself out of the game every 2 or 3 plays.

needs to work on his cardio or something. and maybe carry around a football all day for a week to get used to holding onto it.

The only time I've seen him pull himself out is after a long hard run carrying a couple of tacklers a few yards. And usually it's not just one run like that but several of them in a row.

Or perhaps you are seeing come out when we change packages.

We all know he is not LONG term and most likely will be another big back taken in the draft or offseason.

The guy has exceeded my expectations. Considering his age.

yerner
10-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Compared to most NFL RB's who weigh 185 soaking wet. Jamaal Charles, Darren Sproles, Reggie Bush, CJ Spiller are all the same size/bigger and more well built and much more explosive.

Those who compared him to Sproles coming out are retarded. Sproles was clearly on a different level in terms of speed and explosiveness last night, which was evident on the catch and run.

Hillman can play a role, but I'm not sure at this point he passes the eye test as an early 3rd round pick, "scat back." Not impressed with his speed, especially for his size. And he can't step out of a tackle to save his life. Doug Martin sure would be nice.

That said, he did have some nice runs last night, and I hope he proves me wrong.

Hillman ran a 4.45 forty. He is comparable to those backs, although probably not as fast. He is still really ****ing fast. And since you mention Spiller. That guy looked like garbage for the first 25 games of his career. He needed the same thing Hillman needs. Reps. You don't have enough evidence to make any of those conclusions this soon in his career.

Gort
10-29-2012, 01:37 PM
The only time I've seen him pull himself out is after a long hard run carrying a couple of tacklers a few yards. And usually it's not just one run like that but several of them in a row.

Or perhaps you are seeing come out when we change packages.

We all know he is not LONG term and most likely will be another big back taken in the draft or offseason.

The guy has exceeded my expectations. Considering his age.

no, i'm talking about when he starts running to the bench and motioning that he is taking himself out. it happens 3 or 4 or 5 times a game. i've never seen any other NFL player take themselves out of a game this way who wasn't injured. McGahee does. then he is seen panting on the sidelines for a couple of plays. that's conditioning. he needs to work on that since he plays in Denver now.

extralife
10-29-2012, 02:34 PM
i've never seen any other NFL player take themselves out of a game this way who wasn't injured. McGahee does.

literally every running back in the NFL does this, you moron.

Atwater His Ass
10-29-2012, 03:48 PM
I really love how hard he plays. And he's an above average RB who fits pretty well. But for a hard runner, it sure does seem he has issues picking up 3rd and short situations. He's sometimes slow and hesitates before hitting the hole.

Certainly glad he's on the team and overall such a big contributer.

lonestar
10-29-2012, 03:56 PM

I GUESS he sees something that no one else does....

I'll take our guy over most RBs that are not named AP or play in HOU....

broncocalijohn
10-29-2012, 04:09 PM

Describe injured because he seems to be a durable back for us. He isn't afraid to get tackled. You might be thinking of Knowplay Moreno.

Broncojef
10-29-2012, 04:24 PM
McGahee does fumble but i'm more worried about his durability. He is a solid guy if you can get a rotation around him that is solid and affords him a breather. The games he's been hurt in usually center around him being the only option in a run attack and Slowshon usually then goes down as well after a few runs and a fumble. The running core goes downhill fast once we lose him. Hillman is a nice off speed guy but not who I want to see in the game 3rd and 1 or 2. It sure would be nice to have another solid guy next to McGahee for nour playoff run.

Gort
10-29-2012, 04:47 PM

**** off. no they don't. McGahee gets 2 or 3 runs in a row and starts running off.

also, **** off you pink pony rider.

it c*ck smokers like you that have ruined this site. i hope you choke on your boyfriend's dick.

and yes, i am channeling Mock right here. so again i say, **** off to you dip****.

broncocalijohn
10-29-2012, 06:16 PM
^ It is dimwit not dip****. If you are going to do Mock, use the correct lingo and also add a story about his cat at the end.

"Beezer just pissed on my leg ..." would be a good start to that thought.

extralife
10-29-2012, 08:55 PM
**** off. no they don't. McGahee gets 2 or 3 runs in a row and starts running off.

also, **** off you pink pony rider.

it c*ck smokers like you that have ruined this site. i hope you choke on your boyfriend's dick.

and yes, i am channeling Mock right here. so again i say, **** off to you dip****.

so I guess you get mad when people call you out on being a moron. see you in a week.

pricejj
10-29-2012, 09:04 PM
McGahee is #10 in the NFL in rushing...better than last year.

Go. Hard.

Bacchus
10-29-2012, 09:17 PM
I like McGahee he just needs top hold onto the ball. Williams and Jackson are both on the trading block. I wonder.... hmmmmmmm..........

lonestar
10-29-2012, 09:58 PM
I like McGahee he just needs top hold onto the ball. Williams and Jackson are both on the trading block. I wonder.... hmmmmmmm..........

I really do not want another 2-3 year rental.. or someone that leaves us with nothing next year.

Or even better yet screws what little cap space we do have, to stop us from getting quality either in the draft OR UFA..

DENVERDUI55
10-29-2012, 10:35 PM
I like Willis but I do cringe with the way he carries the ball with one hand because it leads to fumbles. I hate fumbling more than anything.

ZONA
10-30-2012, 12:21 AM

slow and no quickness? Since when is a 4.41 40 time slow? Please explain your brilliance on that one please.

BroncoBuff
10-30-2012, 05:31 AM
McGahee averaged 4.8 last year despite playing in the league's most one-dimensional offense. He's a first-class/Pro-Bowl caliber feature back, always has been. Only reason he's not universally appreciated as such is Jamal Lewis and Ray Rice deflating his numbers those years in Baltimore.

bowtown
10-30-2012, 05:32 AM
I GUESS he sees something that no one else does....

I'll take our guy over most RBs that are not named AP or play in HOU....

Speaking of fumblers...

BroncoBuff
10-30-2012, 05:55 AM
I guess Jamal Lewis left the year before McGahee arrived in Baltimore, but you see the dip in his numbers there. Averaged 1100 yards per season his first four, then just 525 three years with Ray Rice, now back to 1100+.

He's durable as heck, too ... nice GP line. I think he's not appreciated as durable because of the lame duck rookie year.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/2001/mcgahee.jpg

orange&blue87
10-30-2012, 05:56 AM
Hillman looked indecisive and ran east/west too much for my liking. He was slow to hitting an open hole most of the night. Those are traits that should change with reps, but then again we said the same thing about Moreno.

Not sold on Hillman, who also fumbled, but hopeful he's as described.

MileHighMagic
10-30-2012, 06:08 AM
slow and no quickness? Since when is a 4.41 40 time slow? Please explain your brilliance on that one please.

The guy looks slow on the field. It's all well and good he can run fast on a track in spandex but if it doesn't translate to the field, what good does it do us? Again, for a small back, he looks slow and has no quickness. I hope it's just nerves and he can develop but I am very unimpressed with the small sample size.

Agamemnon
10-30-2012, 07:25 AM
He doesn't suck, but he does fumble the ball way too much for a veteran back.

broncswin
10-30-2012, 07:26 AM

Lightening....apparently

broncswin
10-30-2012, 07:31 AM
The guy looks slow on the field. It's all well and good he can run fast on a track in spandex but if it doesn't translate to the field, what good does it do us? Again, for a small back, he looks slow and has no quickness. I hope it's just nerves and he can develop but I am very unimpressed with the small sample size.

Was at the game sitting 12 rows up...he didn't look slow...young kid needing more reps. We have all seen what a flop KM has been and I think our patience is thin with young backs.

bowtown
10-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Anyone worried that maybe Studesville isn't great at developing young guys and teaching them to hit holes rather than dance?

lonestar
10-30-2012, 12:54 PM
He doesn't suck, but he does fumble the ball way too much for a veteran back.

so let look at the leaders in fumble last week..

Rushing Leaders
Name Team Opp Score Att Yds Avg TD FUM
Jay Cutler CHI vs CAR W 23-22 1 4 4.0 0 2
Ahmad Bradshaw NYG @ DAL W 29-24 22 78 3.5 0 1
Reggie Bush MIA @ NYJ W 30-9 14 59 4.2 0 1
Matt Cassel KC vs OAK L 16-26 7 35 5.0 0 1
Rashad Jennings @ GB L 15-24 17 59 3.5 0 1
Felix Jones DAL vs NYG L 24-29 13 19 1.5 1 1
Ryan Mathews SD @ L 6-7 24 95 4.0 0 1
Willis McGahee DEN vs NO W 34-14 23 122 5.3 1 1
Adrian Peterson MIN vs TB L 17-36 15 123 8.2 1 1
Aaron Rodgers GB vs W 24-15 3 4 1.3 0 1
Mark Sanchez NYJ vs MIA L 9-30 1 6 6.0 0 1

quit whining.. we still could have cutlet as a QB.

he averages on fumble every 95 touches.. or once every 396 yards..

probably pretty typical

BroncoBuff
10-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Who ever thought McGahee sucked?

Mile High Salute
10-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Who ever thought McGahee sucked?

Well, for starters, several of the goobers in this thread:
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=108037

My favorite drop of football wisdom from that thread, courtesy of fwf:
"Maybe its time to get Moreno back in the mix and give the guy one last try"
Hilarious!