PDA

View Full Version : Lance Pharmstrong is worth 125 million

fwf
10-26-2012, 07:39 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/27/your-money/lance-armstrong-wealth-likely-to-withstand-doping-charges.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

But there is one way the company could cause problems for Mr. Armstrong, and that is by deposing him as part of a lawsuit. “In any deposition, if he would deny the usage of performance-enhancing drugs, he would open himself up to criminal prosecution for lying under oath,” said Andrew Stoltmann, a lawyer in Chicago who has represented professional basketball, football and baseball players. “Prosecutors love high-profile obstruction of justice cases to serve as a deterrent for lying under oath.”

This has to happen. Is there a way we can start a fund or petition to urge this company to force lance on the stand. I would like nothing more then to see this arrogant prick who so vehemently denied doping for all those years have to eat some f'n crow. That or go to jail. I cant decide which I want more.
This guy is the biggest fraud of our generation.
There were plenty of pro cyclist out there who were clean and trying to feed their families just like Lance. Lance cheated and scammed his way to a 125 million fortune. It makes me want to puke. And to do it all under this umbrella of cancer survivor/hero/humanitarian.
**** Rick Reilly too for supporting this guy. How does Rick even have a job at this point??

hookemhess
10-26-2012, 07:46 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/27/your-money/lance-armstrong-wealth-likely-to-withstand-doping-charges.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

But there is one way the company could cause problems for Mr. Armstrong, and that is by deposing him as part of a lawsuit. “In any deposition, if he would deny the usage of performance-enhancing drugs, he would open himself up to criminal prosecution for lying under oath,” said Andrew Stoltmann, a lawyer in Chicago who has represented professional basketball, football and baseball players. “Prosecutors love high-profile obstruction of justice cases to serve as a deterrent for lying under oath.”

This has to happen. Is there a way we can start a fund or petition to urge this company to force lance on the stand. I would like nothing more then to see this arrogant prick who so vehemently denied doping for all those years have to eat some f'n crow. That or go to jail. I cant decide which I want more.
There were plenty of pro cyclist out there who were clean and trying to feed their families just like Lance. Lance cheated and scammed his way to a 125 million fortune. It makes me want to puke. And to do it all under this umbrella of cancer survivor/hero/humanitarian.
**** Rick Reilly too for supporting this guy. How does Rick even have a job at this point??

It was basically the steroid era. They were all ****ing doping. Put an asterisk next to them if you want, but he won those damn races.

And then he parlays his fame into fighting the disease that nearly killed him. The LIVESTRONG Foundation has raised more than $470M.

Lance Armstrong is an American hero.

http://i.imgur.com/aaeNM.gif

Mogulseeker
10-26-2012, 07:49 PM
It was basically the steroid era. They were all ****ing doping. Put an asterisk next to them if you want, but he won those damn races.

And then he parlays his fame into fighting the disease that nearly killed him. The LIVESTRONG Foundation has raised more than $470M.

http://awesomegifs.com/wp-content/uploads/kenny-powers-american-flag-****-you.gif

That's pretty much how I see it.

baja
10-26-2012, 07:53 PM
A tarnished hero at best.

He is no longer a hero in my book but I don't hate him either.

...And I think he should get to keep his money. He may not be hero material but he earned his dough.

gyldenlove
10-26-2012, 07:59 PM
A tarnished hero at best.

He is no longer a hero in my book but I don't hate him either.

...And I think he should get to keep his money. He may not be hero material but he earned his dough.

So did Bernie Madoff....

fwf
10-26-2012, 08:04 PM
To say that everyone was on steroids at the time is completely false. It was a small percentage. What about those guys? And lance would fly that Livestrong jet all over the world how ever he pleased and would promote all his supporters and cohorts to top positions. Livestrong was a cover and a way to build up his brand. Define Hero for me buddy? If you see Lance as a hero youre either uninformed or ignorant.

baja
10-26-2012, 08:14 PM
So did Bernie Madoff....

Who's pension fund or personal wealth portfolio did Armstrong wipe out?

Get back to me on this I'd like to know.

baja
10-26-2012, 08:16 PM
To say that everyone was on steroids at the time is completely false. It was a small percentage. What about those guys? And lance would fly that Livestrong jet all over the world how ever he pleased and would promote all his supporters and cohorts to top positions. Livestrong was a cover and a way to build up his brand. Define Hero for me buddy? If you see Lance as a hero youre either uninformed or ignorant.

Aren't they the same thing?

Archer81
10-26-2012, 08:44 PM
People care about cycling?

To be honest I care more about Armstrong pulling in $470 million for cancer research than "cheating" at a "sport".

:Broncos:

gyldenlove
10-26-2012, 08:48 PM

The riders who rode without using drugs, every dollar he made in sponsorship deals, salary, winnings were made by cheating - all that money should have gone to honest athletes.

Rascal
10-26-2012, 08:49 PM

That's the part that matters. If any prosecutor goes after him after all this they deserve to be fired. It's a waste of Government resources when there are more important issues.

baja
10-26-2012, 08:58 PM
The riders who rode without using drugs, every dollar he made in sponsorship deals, salary, winnings were made by cheating - all that money should have gone to honest athletes.

Ok maybe but that does not put him in the same league as Berne Madoff who ruined lives, wiped out retirements and emptied portfolios.

Lestat
10-26-2012, 09:08 PM

cycling has always been a corrupt sport in terms of performance enhancing drugs.
so if he did or didn't use them i don't really care.

the problem with so many people complaining about PED's is this.
you still have to have talent for them to mean a damn thing.
history is filled with guys who got busted for or were heavily suspected of using PED's. most of them who were only worth something using the PED's flamed out in a couple of years and couldn't sustain anything for a prolonged period of time.

me personally i don't think any athlete is truly clean. before anyone starts a rant about "not everyone is doing it." i mean that too many things that are legal or not banned one day and then it becomes taboo the next.
some will stop taking it and move on to the next advancement in sports science, others will keep using what works.
every athlete is going to try and get any advantage they can on the competition, some will go farther than others into the grey area and even push farther.

bottom line though is this, at the end of the day you still have to put in the work and win. some do it in a much fairer manner than others but if you use PED's and you don't win no one cares and calls you a moron.
if you win then it's "he only won because he was using."

Bacchus
10-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Who said Steroids doesn't pay?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tvA0yLWBloM/UEH2awJ4LrI/AAAAAAAADME/gHA8kXG3J0Y/s400/arnold_schwarzenegger_Young_Photos-%257B13%257D.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PAswfJw6bJw/TcbHrPcQGVI/AAAAAAAABIQ/7Ja-9gpfO8k/s1600/The+Rock+WWE+Champion+Heavyweight+Jacked+people%25 27s+champ+vince+mcmahon+triple+h+mankind+mick+fole y+stone+cold+steve+austin+untertaker+smackdown+raw +WWF+wrestlemania.jpg

broncocalijohn
10-26-2012, 09:29 PM

Garcia Bronco probably supports this guy like he does for Barry Bonds.

Wes Mantooth
10-26-2012, 11:53 PM

This has to happen. Is there a way we can start a fund or petition to urge this company to force lance on the stand. I would like nothing more then to see this arrogant prick who so vehemently denied doping for all those years have to eat some f'n Sheryl crow. That or go to jail. I cant decide which I want more.

Fixed it.

lonestar
10-27-2012, 01:16 AM

I think he could take the fifth and therefore no charges could be filed for perjury...

Regardless of what he says he has been tainted..

as for the money he made MORE POWER to him..

Always thought it was the American way work hard, make as much money as you can.. Only a moron would say other wise..

Please tell me, if you had the money you could not find some way to be happy?

lonestar
10-27-2012, 01:20 AM

so do you really think that there would have been one dominant rider that would have made money in the "sport"..

He did not make 125 mil riding a bike he made it endorsing and Probably really great investing..

as for the other riders tough TEAT they will get a trophy when it all winds down..

lonestar
10-27-2012, 01:24 AM
cycling has always been a corrupt sport in terms of performance enhancing drugs.
so if he did or didn't use them i don't really care.

the problem with so many people complaining about PED's is this.
you still have to have talent for them to mean a damn thing.
history is filled with guys who got busted for or were heavily suspected of using PED's. most of them who were only worth something using the PED's flamed out in a couple of years and couldn't sustain anything for a prolonged period of time.

me personally i don't think any athlete is truly clean. before anyone starts a rant about "not everyone is doing it." i mean that too many things that are legal or not banned one day and then it becomes taboo the next.
some will stop taking it and move on to the next advancement in sports science, others will keep using what works.
every athlete is going to try and get any advantage they can on the competition, some will go farther than others into the grey area and even push farther.

bottom line though is this, at the end of the day you still have to put in the work and win. some do it in a much fairer manner than others but if you use PED's and you don't win no one cares and calls you a moron.
if you win then it's "he only won because he was using."

the guy had cancer fought it and came back to win again and again..

most would have whined about their lot in life and died..

he fought it and whether or not he would have won without those advancements in Medicine or not No one will ever know..

Bronco Yoda
10-27-2012, 01:31 AM
I have to admit that I really enjoyed an American dominating in this sport. The entire sport is known for drug use. Our druggy was better than their druggies. I'm not justifying it... just saying. :)

Now he has to pay the piper. He is still an incredible athlete. And an incredible liar.

lonestar
10-27-2012, 01:36 AM
I have to admit that I really enjoyed an American dominating in this sport. The entire sport is known for drug use. Our druggy was better than their druggies. I'm not justifying it... just saying. :)

Now he has to pay the piper. He is still an incredible athlete. And an incredible liar.

:thumbs:

as you said ours was better than theirs and they all lied..

the whine babies need to tell someone who cares..

TomServo
10-27-2012, 02:42 AM
holy crap! i hear let them dope and cheat. maybe some people dont want to get testicular cancer or shorten their lives by 8-10-15 years just to compete. i bet barry bonds big head has shortened his life by how many years? and for what? so everyone else has to grow a giant head to compete? F-Lance

Drunk Monkey
10-27-2012, 07:34 AM

To be honest I care more about Armstrong pulling in $470 million for cancer research than "cheating" at a "sport".

Yep, I really don't understand the blind hatred here.

Kaylore
10-27-2012, 08:13 AM
I defended Lance at every turn. I didn't understand how they kept catching other cyclists and Lance kept testing clean. I asked myself: What is more likely? That he's really clean and talented, or he has one of the most advanced anti-doping efforts ever put together that is smarter and better than anyone anywhere at cheating?

Well it looks like it was the latter on this one.

Disappointed.

fwf
10-27-2012, 08:39 AM
I think he could take the fifth and therefore no charges could be filed for perjury...

Regardless of what he says he has been tainted..

Always thought it was the American way work hard, make as much money as you can.. Only a moron would say other wise..

You must be republican... make yours and F everyone else

fwf
10-27-2012, 08:44 AM

Livestrong is how he rationalized the fraud he was, but do you realize how Lance more then likely got cancer in the first place??....it was from taking steroids and growth hormones as a teenager. Livestrong was set up to promote Lance Armstrong first and foremost. Period. And thats what it did.

Do you realize this prick wrote 3 inspirational books about overcoming odds becoming a champion. If that's not the definition of fraud then I dont know what is.

ghwk
10-27-2012, 08:46 AM

Aaand another maner has the pleasure of meeting the human abomination known as Lonestar. Half of Lonestars money came from siphoning off the cash of those who worked for him and his employer, because in his America it doesn't matter how you make your money.

Archer81
10-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Livestrong is how he rationalized the fraud he was, but do you realize how Lance more then likely got cancer in the first place??....it was from taking steroids and growth hormones as a teenager. Livestrong was set up to promote Lance Armstrong first and foremost. Period. And thats what it did.

Do you realize this prick wrote 3 inspirational books about overcoming odds becoming a champion. If that's not the definition of fraud then I dont know what is.

Right...because men aged 25-40 are not prone to testicular cancer. They must all be juicing.

Rock Chalk
10-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Right...because men aged 25-40 are not prone to testicular cancer. They must all be juicing.

76% of men who get it are between 20-44 years of age.

With the highest chance between 20-34 (woohoo Im 36)

The second highest chance between 35-44 (doh!)

Fortunately, only about 370 people die a year from it out of about 8250 men that get it a year. Roughly about a 95.5% survival rate.

DENVERDUI55
10-27-2012, 11:15 AM
The riders who rode without using drugs, every dollar he made in sponsorship deals, salary, winnings were made by .

They all used drugs. If you didn't you couldn't compete period.

Cito Pelon
10-27-2012, 12:00 PM
I defended Lance at every turn. I didn't understand how they kept catching other cyclists and Lance kept testing clean. I asked myself: What is more likely? That he's really clean and talented, or he has one of the most advanced anti-doping efforts ever put together that is smarter and better than anyone anywhere at cheating?

Disappointed.

Yah, I was in that boat also. I was always questioning how the guy could be that dominant, but was tested galore and never got caught whereas other guys were constantly getting caught.

I guess from what I've seen he still has never tested positive, it's the testimony from his teammates that have convicted him.

I see they've vacated the "winner" column for all those Tour de France wins he had (put an askerisk in there so to speak). I'd like to see MLB do that for all the guys that won MVP's, etc while being known PED users.

Brewer
10-27-2012, 12:46 PM
This is fawesome! Crucify the scrawny cyclists for taking PEDs but keep watching the NFL every week. Priceless. Talk about a group of athletes on juice. Yeah, I know- those gigantic defensive linemen who weigh 370lbs and run 6 minute miles are all natural. :strong: That's why they've been that big throughout the history of professional football. What? Oh, wait...

I want to believe that Lance didn't cheat, but it's hard to keep that belief alive. I do believe that if he WAS cheating, so was the guy who came in 2nd, 3rd, 4th.... He still beat 'em! ROFL!

Tombstone RJ
10-27-2012, 01:07 PM

DDOOONNNTTT CCAAAARRRREEEE!!!

DENVERDUI55
10-27-2012, 02:12 PM

Disappointed.

and that Lance had the money to fund the most advanced anti-doping. No reason to be upset as everyone of them was doing it. Cycling is nailed down to such a science it is easy to spot when something isn't right.

Bacchus
10-27-2012, 02:19 PM

Maybe, but cheating does tell people of ones character or lack thereof.

lonestar
10-27-2012, 06:03 PM

Actually a registered Demo.

He really did not take that much from 7 different othe potential winners. And there was no way you or anyone else can say he would not have won them anyway.

How much is winning the race worth?

As for your You must be a Republican from the sound of that ignorant remark you must be one of the 47% group.

How can anyone fault a guy that trained as hard and as long As he did with being a winner. Other than a petty yahoo that is jealous of his and anyone else's success that could be the only reason for your response.

lonestar
10-27-2012, 06:10 PM

Thanks for responding to this moron.

I fail to understand how anyone can hate folks for excelling In a sport, business or life in general.

Got to be petty jealousy, there is no other normal thing I could understand.

lonestar
10-27-2012, 06:12 PM
76% of men who get it are between 20-44 years of age.

With the highest chance between 20-34 (woohoo Im 36)

The second highest chance between 35-44 (doh!)

Fortunately, only about 370 people die a year from it out of about 8250 men that get it a year. Roughly about a 95.5% survival rate.

gyldenlove
10-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Ok maybe but that does not put him in the same league as Berne Madoff who ruined lives, wiped out retirements and emptied portfolios.

Bernie Madoff dishonestly took money from people by promising he could make good investments, Lance Armstrong dishonestly took money from people by promising he won races honestly. Both of them took money from others by dishonesty.

Mao killed a ton more people than Charles Manson, doesn't mean Manson isn't a bad person - the same is true here, Armstrong didn't commit the same magnitude of fraud as Madoff, but they are both lying scumbags who stole a lot of money from people by deciet.

gyldenlove
10-27-2012, 06:40 PM
They all used drugs. If you didn't you couldn't compete period.

No, I know several amateur bike riders who don't use drugs - if you keep going down the list you will eventually find a rider who was honest, that guy was the best in the world.

extralife
10-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Livestrong was set up to promote Lance Armstrong first and foremost. Period. And thats what it did.

Yep.

Without a disease that kills millions, Lance Armstrong wouldn't be rich. And then he lied about it. Must feel good, Lance.

The guy is delusional, which is why he "opted out" of defending himself. If you don't play by their rules, you can't lose! He still thinks all the power is his. And guess what? If he isn't hammered legally, it will be! Great system we've got here.

Whoever called him an American Hero is right. What is did is quintessentially 21st century American. That's the problem.

baja
10-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Bernie Madoff dishonestly took money from people by promising he could make good investments, Lance Armstrong dishonestly took money from people by promising he won races honestly. Both of them took money from others by dishonesty.

Mao killed a ton more people than Charles Manson, doesn't mean Manson isn't a bad person - the same is true here, Armstrong didn't commit the same magnitude of fraud as Madoff, but they are both lying scumbags who stole a lot of money from people by deciet.

Bernie went after peoples savings. He took everything from them. Left them destitute in the twilight of their lives (in many cases). Instead of enjoying a hard earned retirement many could not retire. And he knew he was destroying the person financially that trustingly handed over his life savings.

Armstrong got some endorsements

If you do not see the magnitude of difference here than I am led to believe you are a person that has a tough time admitting you made a bad call.

lonestar
10-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Bernie went after peoples savings. He took everything from them. Left them destitute in the twilight of their lives (in many cases). Instead of enjoying a hard earned retirement many could not retire. And he knew he was destroying the person financially that trustingly handed over his life savings.

If you do not see the magnitude of difference here than I am led to believe you are a person that has a tough time admitting you made a bad call.

Bronco Yoda
10-27-2012, 09:48 PM

yep

ChampJesusBailey
10-27-2012, 10:16 PM

Oh please. A majority of the people Lance was racing against were juicing also. He beat all of them in the laboratory and on race day.

TomServo
10-28-2012, 04:15 AM
Oh please. A majority of the people Lance was racing against were juicing also. He beat all of them in the laboratory and on race day.
so everyone else should risk cancer to keep up? All those buttholes that say "eveyone does it" everyone may not want to risk butthole cancer. or shorten their lives by 6-8-10 years. yay lets all risk our lives and maybe get brain cancer like lyle alzado

*WARHORSE*
10-28-2012, 07:56 AM
The truth is Lance competed on an unlevel playing field.

Every red blooded American knows this to be true.

To all the Frenchies out there:

Newsflash............Lance had ONE NUT.

HALF the testosterone as all the other cylclists!

He won seven TOUR DE FRANCE titles and then used his fame to raise awareness for cancer.

WHAT A HERO!!!

LIVESTRONG sir LANCELOT!

Conclusion to the matter:

One American nut can outproduce a slew of french nuts.

(btw....Lance has a nickname for his one nut: KONG)

Brewer
10-28-2012, 09:22 AM
NFL players juice hard. Where's the outrage?

peacepipe
10-28-2012, 09:42 AM
I think he could take the fifth and therefore no charges could be filed for perjury... Regardless of what he says he has been tainted..

as long as there is a criminal consequence. if Lance were given immunity to any criminal repacussions(sp),he would not be able to claim the 5th.

Fedaykin
10-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Dude's a fraud. Doesn't matter one damn bit what others were doing.

Speaking of frauds, gotta love all the moralizers that are defending this guy based on "well, other people did it too!"

baja
10-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Every person on the planet is a fraud the only variable is the degree

Dedhed
10-28-2012, 11:01 AM
There were plenty of pro cyclist out there who were clean and trying to feed their families just like Lance.

Yeah, right.

Dedhed
10-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Speaking of frauds, gotta love all the moralizers that are defending this guy based on "well, other people did it too!"

By the same token you have to question those who are only saying to go after Lance because he won and not all the underlings who never won anything, denied doping, and still tested positive. I don't see anyone calling Ulrich on the stand, who did everything that Armstrong has done except win titles.

Where's your morality there?

lonestar
10-28-2012, 12:57 PM
as long as there is a criminal consequence. if Lance were given immunity to any criminal repacussions(sp),he would not be able to claim the 5th.

If he were given immunity then why should he talk for that matter why would they.

While you are correct the likely hood of that happening are slim.

lonestar
10-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Dude's a fraud. Doesn't matter one damn bit what others were doing.

Says the king of morality. LOL

gyldenlove
01-23-2013, 05:24 PM

His own and all those who believed in him... do you still think he is just a swell guy?

chadta
01-23-2013, 06:04 PM
how much of the money he raised would he have been able to raise if he was just some rider vs being the 7 time champion ? Id say he defrauded people out of $470 million, while not on madoff levels, its still pretty bad if you ask me.

Id put armstrong and tom brady in the same group, both may very well have been the best, but neither has won a dang thing without cheating, so really how high can they be ranked ?

Wes Mantooth
01-23-2013, 06:57 PM

Since the top 20 or riders from his first win also failed drug test, I think we just need to recognize that of all the ped athletes, lance is the best ever

DENVERDUI55
01-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Since the top 20 or riders from his first win also failed drug test, I think we just need to recognize that of all the ped athletes, lance is the best ever

Lance definately had the best drug dodging procedures. He also had the money for it.

Taco John
01-23-2013, 08:36 PM
I just finished the book "The Secret Race" by Tyler Hamilton. That book is a hell of an eye-opener and is frankly, a great read. I'm about 100% certain that they will make a movie out of it someday. I recommend it to any sports fan. Read that book, and consider its implications across every sport.

We're in a brave new world where sports "medicine" is concerned. I'm not sure what to think anymore.

Taco John
01-23-2013, 08:39 PM

I hardly believe that. I think Lance is definitely a winner - the guy has the heart of a champion, and the ego of one too. But cycling is a team sport as much as football is. Lance was the "quarterback," but he's ridden with others who could have pulled the same or similar feats if they had the chutzpah to go for it. Lance got where he got because he was willing to walk over a lot of people to do it.

Wes Mantooth
01-23-2013, 09:22 PM
I hardly believe that. I think Lance is definitely a winner - the guy has the heart of a champion, and the ego of one too. But cycling is a team sport as much as football is. Lance was the "quarterback," but he's ridden with others who could have pulled the same or similar feats if they had the chutzpah to go for it. Lance got where he got because he was willing to walk over a lot of people to do it.

And dip better than anyone in the business. By the way, he just admitted to it.

Taco John
01-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Whatever anyone wants to take away from Lance, they'll never take away the fact that he beat brain, lung, and testicular cancer, and fought his way back to win seven Tour de France rides and now sits atop an empire totaling $125 million.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-23-2013, 10:55 PM
Whatever anyone wants to take away from Lance, they'll never take away the fact that he beat brain, lung, and testicular cancer, and fought his way back to win seven Tour de France rides and now sits atop an empire totaling $125 million.

He beat metastatic testicular cancer that spread to his brain and lungs. Sounds awful but testiccular cancer is one of the most easily treatable malignancies. The prognosis for his disease -- especially given his functional status -- was excellent. That, and his steroid use could have contributed to the development of cancer to begin with. I admire his advocacy for cancer patients in general but the idea that he "beat" a terminal illness is patently false.

Taco John
01-23-2013, 10:59 PM
He beat metastatic testicular cancer that spread to his brain and lungs. Sounds awful but testiccular cancer is one of the most easily treatable malignancies. The prognosis for his disease -- especially given his functional status -- was excellent. That, and his steroid use could have contributed to the development of cancer to begin with. I admire his advocacy for cancer patients in general but the idea that he "beat" a terminal illness is patently false.

Fair enough. Even still, seems like a hard thing to battle back from to compete at the top levels. I understand that he got there through controversial methods, but just the sheer determination and will to win in a sport so physically taxing. I really struggle with this whole cycling thing - especially where the blood transfusions are concerned. As far as I understand, it's just their own blood being used to replenish their red blood cells. Seems like something that they'll never be able to "clean up" so they might as well embrace it and have team doctors administering it.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-23-2013, 11:02 PM
I've always respected Lance until recently, and it has nothing to do with doping. The guy is a genuine sociopath.

Armchair Bronco
01-23-2013, 11:05 PM
He is still my favorite athlete of all time. Everyone was using some kind of drug, and he still kicked their collective ass for 7 years running. Hell, athletes from Eastern Europe set records that will probably never be broken. Anyone remember all the East German women with mustaches? Their entire body type changed. What Armstrong did was nothing by comparison.

Most world class athletes are pricks, and Lance is no exception. So what? He looked like a man, he dominated his sport for a decade, he dated hot women, he made countless millions of dollars riding a freaking bike, and he raised 10 times as much money for arguably the most well known cancer charity in the world.

Then, as if on cue, the media tore him down and the vultures wasted no time destroying him.

The dude will always be #1 in my book.

Taco John
01-24-2013, 12:11 AM
I've always respected Lance until recently, and it has nothing to do with doping. The guy is a genuine sociopath.

I feel the same way, though the lens I'm reading through is Tyler Hamilton, so I don't have a full picture by any means - but if half the stuff Tyler says is true, sociopath is probably a good word for him.

Blueflame
01-24-2013, 04:19 AM
His demeanor seemed... arrogant and defiant... even during his interview(s) with Oprah. I'm not sure the way he came across was the outcome he wanted; it was like he just made things worse with the "attitude" he showed. And he absolutely needed to apologize to the other rider's wife (the lady he'd publicly called a liar while he was still insisting that he hadn't used PED's). You can't go on tv and admit to having lied... and still appear to be "in the right" with having bullied her for telling the truth.

chadta
01-24-2013, 04:39 AM
Anyone remember all the East German women with mustaches? Their entire body type changed.

most eastern european women still have mustaches, those musta been some bad ass drugs that 2 generations later they still havent worn off

beardedwonder
01-24-2013, 05:34 AM
He cheated at bike riding. Who really gives a damn?

Cosmo
01-24-2013, 06:22 AM
Ok people. Perhaps you should read what he is actually accused of taking before hating him. Steriods is the least of his possible issues. Here is the list of what he is accused of possibly using. He may have used some or all of the following.

Erythropoietin (EPO), also known as “E,” “Po,” “Edgar” or “Edgar Allen Poe,” among other names. EPO is used by athletes to increase the number of red blood cells in their circulatory system which are available to carry oxygen. … Even after the EPO urine test was developed and implemented in sport in late 2000 EPO was difficult to detect and the Respondents [Armstrong, a team director, team captain and team doctors] implemented a number of means to avoid detection of EPO use, including: micro-dosing (i.e., using smaller amounts of EPO to reduce the clearance time of the drug), intravenous injections (i.e., injecting the drug directly into the vein rather than subcutaneously to reduce clearance time), saline, plasma or glycerol infusions (described below) and various effort to avoid testing by drug testers at times that EPO might still be detectable in the riders’ urine. … Multiple riders with firsthand knowledge will testify that between 1998 and 2005 Armstrong personally used EPO and on multiple occasions distributed EPO to other riders.

Blood transfusions (a/k/a “blood doping”). Blood transfusions generally involve the extraction of an athlete’s own blood pre-competition and re-infusion of that blood shortly before or during competition (e.g., in the evening or on a rest day in a multistage race) to increase the athlete’s oxygen carrying red blood cells. By increasing the number of circulating red blood cells, transfusions increase the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood and enhance endurance and recovery. No effective anti-doping test has yet been implemented to detect autologous transfusions (i.e., transfusions of an athlete’s own blood). … Multiple riders will testify that during the period 2000-2005 Armstrong used blood transfusions, was observed having blood re-infused, including during the Tour de France, and had blood doping equipment at his residence.

Testosterone. Also known on the USPS and Discovery Channel cycling teams as “oil.” Testosterone is an anabolic agent and can increase muscle mass and strength. In smaller doses anabolic agents such as testosterone can promote muscle recovery from strenuous exercise and increase endurance. Andriol consists of testosterone undecanoate, a steroid which can be mixed with oil and taken orally. Taken in this way the drug can be absorbed into the lymphatic system without being transported to the liver, making the drug more effective and reducing the prospect of liver damage. Multiple riders who competed on the USPS and Discovery Channel teams from 1998 through 2007 have reported that Dr. Ferrari [an alleged co-conspirator] developed a method of mixing testosterone (i.e., andriol) with olive oil for oral administration. … USADA has eyewitness statements from multiple sources that Lance Armstrong used testosterone and administered the testosterone-olive oil mixture to himself and other riders.

Human Growth Hormone (hGH). Human growth hormone is improperly used in sport to increase strength and lean muscle mass, to assist in weight loss and promote recovery. Multiple riders who competed on the USPS and Discovery Channel teams from 1998 through 2007 have reported to USADA that team director Johan Bruyneel, team trainer Jose Pepe Marti and team doctors Luis del Moral and Pedro Celaya provided human growth hormone to team members.

Corticosteroids (e.g., cortisone). These drugs reduce inflammation, assist in recovery and can provide a burst of energy and create a temporary feeling of increased energy and well-being. Throughout the relevant time period, corticosteroids were improperly provided to cyclists by team doctors and trainers to increase energy and enhance performance. … USADA will also rely upon firsthand testimony from witnesses who were aware of Armstrong’s use of cortisone without medical authorization.

Saline and plasma infusions. Throughout much of the relevant period the UCI [Union Cycliste International] employed a blood monitoring program and would not permit riders to compete if the rider’s hematocrit (i.e., percentage of mature red blood cells) exceeded 50%. To avoid exceeding the 50% hematocrit threshold and to prevent detection of the rider’s EPO use and/or blood transfusions, Respondents used the prohibited technique of saline, plasma or glycerol infusions to mask their use of prohibited substances and/or methods. … USADA will also present testimony concerning infusions given to numbers USPS riders, including Lance Armstrong.

Cosmo
01-24-2013, 06:28 AM
If you want my opinion on the matter, which means nothing really.

Almost all of that wasn't against the rules at the time he did it. So he cheated because he was what? An innovator? If you did cycling and you didn't use what was not banned, then you were just a Loser and were jealous that you couldn't win.

If it was banned when he used it, sure, he cheated. But you can't make a blanket statement that says anything that gives you an unfair advantage is cheating. That's like saying Tebow cheats because he has too much heart. Or Rod Smith cheats because he works too hard. ANYTHING can be an unfair advantage.

Dude overcame cancer and beat others who did the same damn thing. People are just jealous who lost to him and this is how they get him for winning over them.

I see a man who was willing to do everything to win.

Cache Glades
01-24-2013, 08:04 AM
Almost all of that wasn't against the rules at the time he did it.

Dude overcame cancer and beat others who did the same damn thing.

Youre ****in stupid. Most of those were banned and Lance is on record, under oath, saying that had he been caught getting blood transfusions not only would he be banned from the sport but also arrested. Arrested! It was against the law!

And the argument that EVERY rider was doping is such an ignorant statement that it almost doesnt warrant response.
There were so many riders who were clean and trying to feed their families just like Lance. I have a feeling if you were one of those guys, you might have a different opinion right now.
But I get the attitude that so many people have these days.. Get yours at all cost and trample who ever dares stand in your way.

And I wont even get into questionable practices of the Livestrong Organization. But its just a witch hunt, right Lance?
I prey this guy gets sued into bankruptcy which is very ****in likely, especially since people are starting to dig deeper now into Livestrong.
But youre wealthy now arent you lance? And youre probably thinking to yourself that it was worth it. Because honestly, maybe it was. You never would have been sh*t without dope. No one would know your name.
Everyone does now.. and they will always think of you as a fraud. Your children, and the 3 wives you cheated on will all see you that way too. But you got yours Lance. Ill give you that.

ludo21
01-24-2013, 10:35 AM
is it worth wasting us supreme court resources on this case because of the high profile nature of it, or can we just get over this because who gives a crap?

gyldenlove
01-24-2013, 11:12 AM

Actually he doesn't anymore, he is out of the Livestrong charity, and he is just waiting for the claims to start coming in following his admission..

gyldenlove
01-24-2013, 11:19 AM

I respected his achievements from an athletic point of view, with or without drugs, what he did was something that few others could have done - I have seen some of those mountains they go up and I am certain I couldn't even if given all the drugs in the world make it up one of those on a bicycle.

I have never respected him as a person, he had the holier than though attitude going and through all the rumors about PEDs the way he handled the situation and the people around him who got caught was despicable. The primitive part of me is happy to see him crash and burn and see his name removed from all record books. He is clearly an incredibly driven person who doesn't seem to have the empathy to interact with people and deal with others and his own shortcomings.

The sport as a whole is rotten and he was far from the only one who did PEDs, but that just excuse his behavior and lying when faced with allegations and the way he knowingly defrauded people.

Cosmo
01-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Youre ****in stupid. Most of those were banned and Lance is on record, under oath, saying that had he been caught getting blood transfusions not only would he be banned from the sport but also arrested. Arrested! It was against the law!

And the argument that EVERY rider was doping is such an ignorant statement that it almost doesnt warrant response.
There were so many riders who were clean and trying to feed their families just like Lance. I have a feeling if you were one of those guys, you might have a different opinion right now.
But I get the attitude that so many people have these days.. Get yours at all cost and trample who ever dares stand in your way.

And I wont even get into questionable practices of the Livestrong Organization. But its just a witch hunt, right Lance?
I prey this guy gets sued into bankruptcy which is very ****in likely, especially since people are starting to dig deeper now into Livestrong.
But youre wealthy now arent you lance? And youre probably thinking to yourself that it was worth it. Because honestly, maybe it was. You never would have been sh*t without dope. No one would know your name.
Everyone does now.. and they will always think of you as a fraud. Your children, and the 3 wives you cheated on will all see you that way too. But you got yours Lance. Ill give you that.

I listed what he is accused of. I said he may have done none, some or all; I don't know. I just am tired of people not understanding what exactly he is accused of and just assume he did steroids which is so demonized that it makes it sound even worse.

I don't think EVERY cyclist was doing it, I think enough were to ask why they couldn't beat him. Honestly, there are so many other issues with sports that his cheating is so minor compared to everything else wrong with sports that I just don't want to waste time beating him into the ground.

I don't know what kind of person he is, nor do I care. If the sport cares so much about the "doping", then they should have had better ways to stop it. How do you ruin 1 mans life if he's guilty but allow others who probably did the same to slide only because they didn't make as much money?!

If he's guilty, so be it.

Play2win
01-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Here's a thought: Have Congress make it illegal to sue anybody over anything whatsoever. I wonder how that would impact the economic climate and American marketplace.

Cosmo
01-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Also, Blood doping isn't really that hard to do without doing it illegally.

Simply stay at high altitude and train for several weeks and your body will make its own EPO and would increase blood levels to the near 20% that doing it artifically does.

Anyone that is into athletics or working out and has moved or traveled away from Colorado could tell you what it feels like. When I go to California, I could probably play basketball for 8 hours straight.

So yeah, it seems unfair to not have to sacrifice a month, but its not something they can really prevent unless they want to tell people to not live at altitude.

Quoydogs
01-24-2013, 12:15 PM

Lance Armstrong is the biggest douche bag in America.

That man sued a lady that happened to be in a hospital bed next to him and over heard him giving the list of Roids that he was on before he went in for surgery.

He took her for everything including her car. I will add that the lady never offered the info, she got summonsed to court.

I will also say he had gotten off by this time so he did it out of spite.

I don't get some people, Frank Gore gets fined 10,500 bucks because he doesn't pull his socks over his knee's and most of you are like rules are rules but this man shoots up roids to win a race and he is an American hero ?

You know I was fine with him and the Roids I could careless about biking . To do that to another human is just heartless.

DENVERDUI55
01-24-2013, 12:21 PM
All the riders were doing it. If you didn't you couldn't compete period. Look at the times guys put up now vs in the doping hey day. They are 15 minutes slower and they have better bikes. Lance seems like a world class dirtbag and the willingness of his team to turn on him made me think he is a real POS.

Play2win
01-24-2013, 12:24 PM
Sheeesh... Did anybody have parents growing up?

Just because everybody else is doing it, that makes it okay...

Taco John
01-24-2013, 01:49 PM
I got this note in reps: "it's just money...bet he would trade it all for his reputation....all of it"

I really, really don't believe that. I don't think Lance Armstrong cares all that much what others think about him. I think that's what this admission is about more than anything. I think it's him coming clean about the sport and the world that he lived in, and less about what a bad guy he is. I don't really believe that Lance feels any remorse about any of this. I think in the way he views of things, he is as much a victim as anyone. And frankly, he would have a pretty good point - except that he was definitely among the instigators in the sport.

But I don't think he'd trade in his money for "his reputation." I think he's ok with his place in the sport, for everything that it was worth.

Taco John
01-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Sheeesh... Did anybody have parents growing up?

Just because everybody else is doing it, that makes it okay...

Plenty of people followed that rule, and did retire. Plenty of others wanted a career in cycling, and did what they needed to to have that.

Fedaykin
01-24-2013, 01:54 PM
The problem with Amstrong isn't just that he's a doper -- it's that he's a world class sociopath and general douchbag.

Mountain Bronco
01-24-2013, 02:52 PM

In the immortal words of Kenny ****ing Powers, I play real sports and am not trying to be the best at exercising.

I cycle, but only to get an incredible cardio workout and I dislike most cyclists I know. What a bunch of D-bags. I could care less if Lance Armstrong cheated. I could care less if the players in the NFL are on steroids or HGH. If they are willing to risk their health and it produces a more watchable product, then fine why should I care? Don't give me level playing field BS either, no playing field in life is level.

Quoydogs
01-24-2013, 03:06 PM
The problem with Amstrong isn't just that he's a doper -- it's that he's a general sociopath and a world class douchebag.

Fixed it for ya.^5

mhgaffney
01-24-2013, 03:46 PM

Well from your avatar -- if you don't get it -- it's probably because you're drunk.

No wonder.

Calling a spade a spade is far from blind hatred. The man engaged in fraud to win a fortune.

MHG

Pony Boy
01-24-2013, 03:59 PM
When you watch this all you can say is .....wow

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fxnqHvEbGnc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wes Mantooth
01-24-2013, 04:12 PM

The best!

Cito Pelon
01-24-2013, 05:38 PM

FWIW, I remember one leg in the Tour De France where one of Armstrong's biggest critics went on a breakaway after Armstrong had already won the overall title. Armstrong broke away from the team, chased him down and won the leg just to prove .... something. That may have been his undoing. That ONE guy that was clean tried to win a leg of the Tour de France, but Armstrong wouldn't let him do it.

I believe the next year that Spaniard they called Big Mig was the TDF winner, also disqualified along with the other top three. The next year, same thing. The whole cycling thing is a mess, and it's a shame to see. Oh what a tangled web we weave when we first practice to deceive.

Taco John
01-24-2013, 07:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/lUlKTvX.jpg

Cito Pelon
01-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Whoops, was Contador I was thinking of not the Big Mig. Nice graphic TJ.

Edit: Or Landis. I kinda f'd that previous post up a little bit. Maybe a lot.

Taco John
01-24-2013, 08:00 PM

I'm pretty sure it's Landis you're talking about.

Cito Pelon
01-24-2013, 08:43 PM
I'm pretty sure it's Landis you're talking about.

Well, it's nice to see from your graphic that some winners haven't been tainted by cheating. They have to be real studs to win without cheating.

DENVERDUI55
01-24-2013, 11:08 PM

Either one was a doper. You can see how the testing has been much better of late too.

Taco John
01-24-2013, 11:14 PM
Well, it's nice to see from your graphic that some winners haven't been tainted by cheating. They have to be real studs to win without cheating.

Every single one of them are suspected, especially Big Mig. Despite not being caught, people assume that Sastre was doping because he was able to compete on the level of known dopers. Greg LeMond has some pretty fishy results as well that lead a lot of people pointing fingers at him as someone who just didn't get caught (http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/477866/evidence-overwhelmingly-indicates-greg-lemond-doped). And if Greg Lamond was doping, everyone in between had to have been.

The bottom line is that in order to keep up with the peloton, you had to be juicing.

According to Tyler Hamilton, Cadel Evans is the real deal, though.

Fedaykin
01-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Every single one of them are suspected, especially Big Mig. Despite not being caught, people assume that Sastre was doping because he was able to compete on the level of known dopers. Greg LeMond has some pretty fishy results as well that lead a lot of people pointing fingers at him as someone who just didn't get caught (http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/477866/evidence-overwhelmingly-indicates-greg-lemond-doped). And if Greg Lamond was doping, everyone in between had to have been.

The bottom line is that in order to keep up with the peloton, you had to be juicing.

According to Tyler Hamilton, Cadel Evans is the real deal, though.

Every professional athlete at the top of their respective sport is doping. Period

AP is doping.
Von Miller is doping.
Champ only stopped doping the week of the Divisional round.

Mountain Bronco
01-25-2013, 10:32 AM
^^^^ That is my view as well and I don't care.

Beantown Bronco
01-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Lance Armstrong is the biggest douche bag in America.

Let me introduce you to these two guys I know:

Lonestar
MacGruder

edog24
01-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Every professional athlete at the top of their respective sport is doping. Period

AP is doping.
Von Miller is doping.

Agreed, it's entertainment folks, don't get too worked up about it.

Nwp-Apap
01-25-2013, 12:00 PM

AP is doping.
Von Miller is doping.

This is correct, plus many others. I'm not even professional and I am.

Anyone who holds steroid use against Armstrong is an idiot. Steroids shouldn't be illegal to begin with, much less against the rules of all major sports.

Gutless Drunk
01-27-2013, 10:04 AM
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/58191312?autoplay=1" width="398" height="224" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>