PDA

View Full Version : Super Manning Bros. On Top of QBR

SeedReaver
10-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Blah blah 100 post rule.

I know QB rating and ESPN's QBR are hardly end-all-be-all stats, but our dearest melonhead leads the QBR rankings with his dopey brother following close behind:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

What doesn't surprise me: Andrew Luck and RGIII in the top 10.

What does surprise me: Jake Locker in the top 10, and Phillip Rivers and Brandon Weeden at the bottom.

Kaylore
10-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Andrew Luck at six as a rookie. I hate the Colts so much....

RhymesayersDU
10-24-2012, 08:47 AM
I like ESPN QBR a lot. Definitely better than the NFL QB Rating.

Action
10-24-2012, 08:54 AM
I am surprised RG3 is in the top 10 considering how he plays the game with only his first read.

RG3 is your super game manager... Shanny got some good offensive game planning this season.

Kaylore
10-24-2012, 09:05 AM
RG3 is looking very good. He's completed 70% of his passes. He might only have a read or two, but this isn't Cam Newton again. RGIII looks to pass first and only uses his legs when he needs to. I think he could be an awesome QB.

SeedReaver
10-24-2012, 09:15 AM
RG3 is looking very good. He's completed 70% of his passes. He might only have a read or two, but this isn't Cam Newton again. RGIII looks to pass first and only uses his legs when he needs to. I think he could be an awesome QB.
Agreed. I didn't like Cam coming out of college. I proceeded to feel really dumb when he put up those numbers last season. Now, I feel smart again, and quietly relish the fact that he is struggling.

RGIII is a different beast. I thought him going to Washington was going to turn him into a Terrell Owens style diva - but he has only impressed me. The little-known Tebow effect that McGruder was failing to explain will likely become the very-well known RGIII effect. He may very well remodel the quarterback position.

Action
10-24-2012, 09:15 AM

He does. He's actually very accurate with a nice arm and his legs help him (along with that running game)...

But he literally uses his first read 95% of the time. He will need to develop that.

I'm interested to see how Dick LeBeau defends him this week... always gotten the best of Shanny...

With that being said, I think Andrew Luck will be better than Griffin in the long run.

gyldenlove
10-24-2012, 09:17 AM

It also has to do with game planning, Shanahan is deliberately forcing a game plan that requires passing and doesn't use sandlot option plays like the ones they use in Carolina for Newton. Carolina has been running a simplified offense for Newton since he got there, they don't do that in Washington because Griffin can handle a full offense.

gunns
10-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Archie has to be so proud.

http://www.scholastic.com/content5/media/products/75/9780545153775_xlg.jpg

TheChamp24
10-24-2012, 09:48 AM
I think this goes to show how idiotic QBR is to be honest.
Andrew Luck ahead of Aaron Rodgers?
You're telling me a QB who has completed 53% of his passes, has a 7-7 TD/INT ratio, and averaging less than 7 yards an attempt is having a better season than the former NFL MVP?

ColoradoDarin
10-24-2012, 09:58 AM
You're telling me a QB who has completed 53% of his passes, has a 7-7 TD/INT ratio, and averaging less than 7 yards an attempt is having a better season than the former NFL MVP?

Are you telling me that just because someone is a *former* MVP that makes them immune to having bad games/years?

ludo21
10-24-2012, 09:59 AM

maybe because Luck beat him?

cmhargrove
10-24-2012, 10:06 AM

QBR is about actual statistics, not necessarily trends. Rodgers should indeed beat out Luck as the season goes on, but he had a really poor start to the season. Now that he's found his mojo again, his stats should start to skyrocket.

Kaylore
10-24-2012, 10:22 AM
It also has to do with game planning, Shanahan is deliberately forcing a game plan that requires passing and doesn't use sandlot option plays like the ones they use in Carolina for Newton. Carolina has been running a simplified offense for Newton since he got there, they don't do that in Washington because Griffin can handle a full offense.

Really it comes down to who you trust more to develop a young, mobile QB: Mike Shanahan or Ron Rivera?

Reivera is a defensive coordinator.

Shanahan has coached up: Steve Young, John Elway, Jake Plummer and Jay Cutler just to name a few. Each has had career years under Shanahan.

Hmmmmmm....tough decision.

baja
10-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Are you telling me that just because someone is a *former* MVP that makes them immune to having bad games/years?

Except he is not having a bad season

Rock Chalk
10-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Except he is not having a bad season

He had a bad start though.

baja
10-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Jay Cutler at 19. Seems low for a "franchise quarterback" ;D

baja
10-24-2012, 10:31 AM
He had a bad start though.

True.

maven
10-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Where is Tim Tebow on that list?

Agamemnon
10-24-2012, 11:09 AM

Err...they aren't using a full playbook with RG3. Not even close.

Mountain Bronco
10-24-2012, 11:10 AM
It is the bad sacks that kill Rodgers ratings and was the knock on him prior to his MVP season, so not that surprised to see that.

Luck is going to be great and his legs are legit as well.

F Cam Newton, he is killing my fantasy season, should have stuck with Luck.

Drunken.Broncoholic
10-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Err...they aren't using a full playbook with RG3. Not even close.

Art Briles has his handprints all over that redskin playbook. Some of those plays are exact replicas of Baylors offense

maven
10-24-2012, 11:16 AM

Found it, #49

g6matty
10-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Found it, #49

id take Sanu over tebow

Houshyamama
10-24-2012, 11:41 AM
My question is, how does Luck have a higher Run EPA than RGIII. I realize Luck has surprising speed, but.... let's be real here.

Willynowei
10-24-2012, 01:29 PM
According to that rating system Andrew Luck has a higher run EPA than Rg3....

HOw about a top 10 list of actual QBRs... this is the most ridiculous and retarded thing I've ever seen.

menonite
10-24-2012, 01:56 PM
"When there's no news to report - just make **** up"

/The Media

RedskinBronco
10-24-2012, 02:21 PM
This is kind of confusing. Did ESPN just make up their own QBR or did CNNSI? I am just wondering what is the real (official) QBR is. I found this list in the below link

The No. 1 ranking takes on more gravitas when you look at the list of contemporary legends staring up at him on the Real Quarterback Rating leaderboard.
Top 8 Real QB Rating (through Week 7)
• No. 1 -- Griffin and the Redskins (99.9)
• No. 2 -- Peyton Manning and the Broncos (97.3)
• No. 3 -- Aaron Rodgers and the Packers (97.2)
• No. 4 -- Tom Brady and the Patriots (93.2)
• No. 5 -- Matt Ryan and the Falcons (92.3)
• No. 6 -- Drew Brees and the Saints (91.9)
• No. 7 -- Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers (91.2)
• No. 8 -- Eli Manning and the Giants (89.4)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/kerry_byrne/10/23/robert-griffin-iii/index.html?sct=nfl_wr_a2

Bacchus
10-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Jay Cutler at 19. Seems low for a "franchise quarterback" ;D

Cutler has not had a bad year. One of the big differences from the QBR to the Quarterback Rating system the NFL uses is that sacks reflect negatively in the QBR. Where they have no effect in the QB Rating. I believe this is good and bad. A QB cannot help it if he has a terrible line, which Cutler does but in the QB rating system QBs that are overly cautious and hang on to the ball too long are rewarded by taking a sack instead of throwing an incompletion.

errand
10-24-2012, 06:03 PM

He's probably not on the list as it's for QB's.....

Bacchus
10-24-2012, 06:20 PM
This is kind of confusing. Did ESPN just make up their own QBR or did CNNSI? I am just wondering what is the real (official) QBR is. I found this list in the below link

The No. 1 ranking takes on more gravitas when you look at the list of contemporary legends staring up at him on the Real Quarterback Rating leaderboard.
Top 8 Real QB Rating (through Week 7)
No. 1 -- Griffin and the Redskins (99.9)
No. 2 -- Peyton Manning and the Broncos (97.3)
No. 3 -- Aaron Rodgers and the Packers (97.2)
No. 4 -- Tom Brady and the Patriots (93.2)
No. 5 -- Matt Ryan and the Falcons (92.3)
No. 6 -- Drew Brees and the Saints (91.9)
No. 7 -- Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers (91.2)
No. 8 -- Eli Manning and the Giants (89.4)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/kerry_byrne/10/23/robert-griffin-iii/index.html?sct=nfl_wr_a2

The only OFFICIAL rating system is the QB Ratinn system the NFL uses. CNN and ESPN have their own they uses. There are others out there as well.

errand
10-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Found it, #49

so does that mean that all 32 NFL starters and half the back-ups (32+16=48) are putting up better numbers?

RedskinBronco
10-24-2012, 06:39 PM
The only OFFICIAL rating system is the QB Ratinn system the NFL uses. CNN and ESPN have their own they uses. There are others out there as well.

Thanks. Every time I listen to the radio or watch tv, the list is different. I guess everyone manipulates now to make their argument ;D

Prodigal19
10-24-2012, 06:42 PM
My question is, how does Luck have a higher Run EPA than RGIII. I realize Luck has surprising speed, but.... let's be real here.
Just looking at the stats you would conclude RG3 is a much better runner than Luck, but QBR takes into consideration how important the yards are at the time they are gained. Luck's has had much more clutch and effective runs than RG3. Luck gets a 1st down on 60% of his runs vs RG3's 39%.

The Run EPA takes into consideration fumbles. Just taking a quick look at the stats Luck has 0 fumbles to RG3's 5 fumbles. That probably has hurt his run EPA quite a bit.

If you were to for some reason compare Elway and Vick's numbers, you would say that vick is obviously a much better runner, but Elway's runs were often extremely clutch important to victories. Elway might have a comparable if not high career run EPA than Vick.

Houshyamama
10-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Just looking at the stats you would conclude RG3 is a much better runner than Luck, but QBR takes into consideration how important the yards are at the time they are gained. Luck's has had much more clutch and effective runs than RG3. Luck gets a 1st down on 60% of his runs vs RG3's 39%.

The Run EPA takes into consideration fumbles. Just taking a quick look at the stats Luck has 0 fumbles to RG3's 5 fumbles. That probably has hurt his run EPA quite a bit.

If you were to for some reason compare Elway and Vick's numbers, you would say that vick is obviously a much better runner, but Elway's runs were often extremely clutch important to victories. Elway might have a comparable if not high career run EPA than Vick.

I think that's a flawed approach. RGIII is almost a running back in some situations. The Run EPA seems to take a scrambling approach to its analysis, where as RGIII actually has quite a few designed runs, which can be harder to execute than a scramble where the entire middle of a defense has cleared out. There should be no conversation regarding which QB has had a greater impact rushing the ball this year.

Bronco Rob
10-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Warms the heart to see Spam Newton circling the drain.

maven
10-25-2012, 01:23 PM
so does that mean that all 32 NFL starters and half the back-ups (32+16=48) are putting up better numbers?

It does include RB/WR so I guess they can throw better than Tebow.

;D

Bacchus
10-25-2012, 05:31 PM
It does include RB/WR so I guess they can throw better than Tebow.

;D

Well, all things being equal Tebow is a FB. I bet he is in the top 10 throwing FBs in the NFL.