PDA

View Full Version : Bye week retrospective

Bacchus
10-21-2012, 08:25 PM
So here we sit two years after the darkest time in Broncos history, and there are many who believe that they are about to go on a run. Almost everyone believes they are going to win their second straight AFC West Title. Thereís still work to do for the Denver Broncos but when you consider where they were after McDaniels left under the cover of darkness in December of 2010, itís pretty remarkable. Elway was the master of the comeback so in retrospect, should we really be surprised? What a long, strange trip it has been!

Rest of Article here: http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2012/10/21/a-big-picture-look-at-the-denver-broncos/?zd3uiCAf4V12GzA2.99

lonestar
10-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Well I do not consider Joshes departure or what lead up to it the darkest days in the broncos history..

From 1960 until 1977 we sucked.. it was that year that we finally won more games than we lost..

the only hope we had most of those year was being the spoiler team that caught trap games for those other teams flying high.. much like DET, CIN, CLE has been the past decade and now KC.

hoping a team would be sky high from a win the week before to come in here and lose one to be able to knock someone out of the playoffs was all we could hope for..

most of you kiddies will not have a clue what I have just said, since I'd guess most have only been around since Elway came to town or after one or two of the playoff games early in his career..

but those were the dark years on this franchise..

you could probably put the year that the phelps brothers needed donations in order to keep the Broncos in DEN. or playing in OLD Bears stadium before it was MHS..

Two years ago was just a blip..

baja
10-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Well I do not consider Joshes departure or what lead up to it the darkest days in the broncos history..

From 1960 until 1977 we sucked.. it was that year that we finally won more games than we lost..

the only hope we had most of those year was being the spoiler team that caught trap games for those other teams flying high.. much like DET, CIN, CLE has been the past decade and now KC.

hoping a team would be sky high from a win the week before to come in here and lose one to be able to knock someone out of the playoffs was all we could hope for..

most of you kiddies will not have a clue what I have just said, since I'd guess most have only been around since Elway came to town or after one or two of the playoff games early in his career..

you could probably put the year that the phelps brothers needed donations in order to keep the Broncos in DEN. or playing in OLD Bears stadium before it was MHS..

Difference is we did not cheat

pricejj
10-21-2012, 09:47 PM
So here we sit two years after the darkest time in Broncos history, and there are many who believe that they are about to go on a run. Almost everyone believes they are going to win their second straight AFC West Title. Thereís still work to do for the Denver Broncos but when you consider where they were after McDaniels left under the cover of darkness in December of 2010, itís pretty remarkable. Elway was the master of the comeback so in retrospect, should we really be surprised? What a long, strange trip it has been!

With all due respect, Bacchus....

The Broncos are a miracle comeback away from 2-4...and going completely ape-**** like the rest of the AFCW.

My three acceptable outcomes for this season are:
a) Superbowl Victory
b) AFC Championship
c) Curb-stomping the Patriots in the playoffs

The Broncos achieve any, or all, of the above choices, and I'll be happy.

spdirty
10-21-2012, 11:21 PM

The Broncos are a miracle comeback away from 2-4...and going completely ape-**** like the rest of the AFCW.

a) Superbowl Victory
b) AFC Championship

But it wasn't a miracle. The miracle of that game was how they got up 24-0. What we did in the second half was just complete domination.

Kaylore
10-21-2012, 11:23 PM
Rant Sports makes bleacher report look like Nova.

mkporter
10-21-2012, 11:38 PM
Difference is we did not cheat

Or at least we didn't get caught.

wolf754life
10-21-2012, 11:54 PM
McDaniels Sucked out our soul.........John is helping us get it back............

hope is a powerful drug.

big things have small beginnings......

Fedaykin
10-22-2012, 03:55 AM
We're a couple plays away from being 5-1 or maybe even 6-0 (playing against 3 of the top four teams in the league) which is pretty damn amazing considering the situation.

There are still a lot of problems (I still have some PTSD from 3rd and 12+), but there are a couple of huge positives:

Unlike years passed, we haven't (yet) dropped a game we shouldn't have. We've only lost to teams that are actually better than us. That right there is something I haven't seen from this team in nearly a decade.

There've (unfortunately) been many "opportunities" for the team to roll over and quit, but I haven't seen that yet (again, something that's been a long time missing from the team). Even against the Pats, Falcons and Texans there was a fight put up until the bitter end. Against the Sparklers that fight came to fruition. I think in the future we'll see the team close the deal on more comebacks than not.

Those two facts alone are demonstrate that Elway, once again, has this team on the right path.

Jetmeck
10-22-2012, 04:13 AM
Lets try playing with an early lead for a change !

Fedaykin
10-22-2012, 04:18 AM
Lets try playing with an early lead for a change !

It'll happen, and when it does VonDoom will feast!

theAPAOps5
10-22-2012, 05:51 AM
Rant Sports makes bleacher report look like Nova.

I was thinking New England Journal of Medicine, but yeah I totally agree.

Which is why..........

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/100/315/iTAmc.GIF

2KBack
10-22-2012, 06:03 AM

http://kletterman.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/angry-old-man.jpg

baja
10-22-2012, 06:03 AM
I was thinking New England Journal of Medicine, but yeah I totally agree.

Which is why..........

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/100/315/iTAmc.GIF

Yet more proof white people can't dance.

TheChamp24
10-22-2012, 06:17 AM

Rest of Article here: http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2012/10/21/a-big-picture-look-at-the-denver-broncos/?zd3uiCAf4V12GzA2.99

All I can think of when I see your posts is...
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/228/dat.jpg

mwill07
10-22-2012, 07:15 AM
while it's true that the dark days of the franchise were before 1977, it's pretty undeniable that we had a really, really bad streak for a few years. Looking at it closely - the bad mojo started mid-way through 2006. At one point, we were 7-2, sitting pretty in first place in the west, a year removed from hosting the AFCCG. We finished that season 9-7 and missed the playoffs. All we had to do was win the last game, but we lost @ home in OT to a not-very good 49er team. Later that night, Darrent Williams was killed. A couple of months later, Damien Nash died.

Shortly after that, Shanahan was fired and we had the McDaniels debacle, including the cutler fiasco, the spy-gate mess, and the suicide of McKinley.

outside of a 6 game spell to start the McDaniels era, we've seen a ton of bad things happen in and around the Broncos. I'd say that the 2007-2010 was as dark an era as we've ever had.

That all seemed to end when Elway was hired.

baja
10-22-2012, 07:21 AM
while it's true that the dark days of the franchise were before 1977, it's pretty undeniable that we had a really, really bad streak for a few years. Looking at it closely - the bad mojo started mid-way through 2006. At one point, we were 7-2, sitting pretty in first place in the west, a year removed from hosting the AFCCG. We finished that season 9-7 and missed the playoffs. All we had to do was win the last game, but we lost @ home in OT to a not-very good 49er team. Later that night, Darrent Williams was killed. A couple of months later, Damien Nash died.

Shortly after that, Shanahan was fired and we had the McDaniels debacle, including the cutler fiasco, the spy-gate mess, and the suicide of McKinley.

outside of a 6 game spell to start the McDaniels era, we've seen a ton of bad things happen in and around the Broncos. I'd say that the 2007-2010 was as dark an era as we've ever had.

That all seemed to end when Elway was hired.

That's a good perspective right there.

gunns
10-22-2012, 07:36 AM

A little off there lonestar. 1973 was the first year we won more than we lost. I don't necessarily agree that 1960 to 1977 were the darkest years. For me it was 1970 and it wasn't dark, you had hope for every game and winning one was like winning the SB. In 73 when we finally had a winning season many of us puffed out our chests. We had arrived. 1977 was the turning point for the Broncos as that was the first year we made the playoffs. And we've been competitive since. Not even the possibility of losing the team was dark for me because I was young enough to be an eternal optimist. I will agree the darkest days were with McD.

I think if the team can play a full 60 minutes we have a very good chance of playing in January.

lonestar
10-22-2012, 12:56 PM
We're a couple plays away from being 5-1 or maybe even 6-0 (playing against 3 of the top four teams in the league) which is pretty damn amazing considering the situation.

There are still a lot of problems (I still have some PTSD from 3rd and 12+), but there are a couple of huge positives:

Unlike years passed, we haven't (yet) dropped a game we shouldn't have. We've only lost to teams that are actually better than us. That right there is something I haven't seen from this team in nearly a decade.

There've (unfortunately) been many "opportunities" for the team to roll over and quit, but I haven't seen that yet (again, something that's been a long time missing from the team). Even against the Pats, Falcons and Texans there was a fight put up until the bitter end. Against the Sparklers that fight came to fruition. I think in the future we'll see the team close the deal on more comebacks than not.

Those two facts alone are demonstrate that Elway, once again, has this team on the right path.

Outstanding post..

I had not thought of all the trap games we have lost over the past decade +..

So that is a real positive.. I'm still on the edge of my seat because I still do not have FAITH that we will win..

I still believe that we are still weak in a couple of spots and really thin in the depth aspect..

We have to have zero injuries the rest of the season or it is toast..

We still play NOL, Bengals, Bucs even without it star defensive guys BAL scares me..

Those are all going to be close games IF we get behind or commit turnovers.. and then we have trap games chefsX2 raiders and chargers.. @CAR also has me concerned..

Wishing for the best but hope my donkeys do not reappear in coming games..

lonestar
10-22-2012, 01:14 PM
A little off there lonestar. 1973 was the first year we won more than we lost. I don't necessarily agree that 1960 to 1977 were the darkest years. For me it was 1970 and it wasn't dark, you had hope for every game and winning one was like winning the SB. In 73 when we finally had a winning season many of us puffed out our chests. We had arrived. 1977 was the turning point for the Broncos as that was the first year we made the playoffs. And we've been competitive since. Not even the possibility of losing the team was dark for me because I was young enough to be an eternal optimist. I will agree the darkest days were with McD.

I think if the team can play a full 60 minutes we have a very good chance of playing in January.

But you got to admit that until 77 no one really thought we would ever be in a super bowl..

But to me the dark years were during the last decade of mikeys regime.. while we were winning games (more than we lost) the ones we lost were for the most part inexcusable.. going into places like CIN, CLE, BUF and DET and getting our asses kicked when we should have won those games were pretty dark ..

knowing that we were slowly falling behind in talent during that last decade also bothered the hell out of me.. While mikey would occasionally bring in UFA that were worth a crap. Browncos could have been a coup had they not been decimated with injuries..

it was the draft or DAFT was I called it during that time frame.. we consistently blew our top picks and did well with the 4-7 rounders, but I knew taht sooner or later that would come back to haunt us.. and 2009 where only 3 Defensive STARTERS managed to stay with the team and none of the rest started for another team with most being out of the NFL a year later..

While most here believe Josh to be the devil I saw him as a reboot to get this team back to its former glory..

He saw the same things I did as problems..

the inability to run the ball inside the 5 as well as get 3rd and short..

That all boiled down to getting rid of of beefing up the light in the ass OL which at the time was 285-90 or so across the board save Clady that was of proper weight.. While he did not turn the team around he left a base of players that were bigger and stronger than when he inherited the mess that mickey left.

Seeing what I see with NE this year, I really have to wonder had Pat hired a REAL GM to help him with direction and player evaluation where this team would be today..

NOW that said I love that we have Manning and his ability to run an offense at the LOS amazes me..

Lets hope we can get some of those missing pieces in the draft during the off season for solid run next year and thereafter..

Bacchus
10-22-2012, 01:39 PM

a) Superbowl Victory
b) AFC Championship

"With all due respect"? I did not write the article I just posted it. It's Rantsports....

Bacchus
10-22-2012, 01:44 PM
All I can think of when I see your posts is...
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/228/dat.jpg

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs3/1131780_o.gif

same ass

maher_tyler
10-22-2012, 01:46 PM

a) Superbowl Victory
b) AFC Championship

We gift wrapped them 17 of their 24 points. We played the 2nd half the way we should have the 1st half. I hope like hell the 2nd half team is the team we see for the rest of the year.

maher_tyler
10-22-2012, 01:50 PM

I hope Oz has been taking notes from Manning. A lot of players, especially Champ, prolly see these next few years as being their only shot at winning a SB.

baja
10-22-2012, 02:36 PM
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs3/1131780_o.gif

same ass

Can you make a giff like this for your avatar? ;D

Bacchus
10-23-2012, 08:13 AM
Can you make a giff like this for your avatar? ;D

On other sites I can! Upload always fails her on the Mane. You can tell I tried!!!!:strong: