PDA

View Full Version : Woody Paige: Broncos finish 12-4 and it will be a all Manning Super Bowl.

Bronco Rob
10-21-2012, 12:41 AM
With that mercurial, miraculous, memorable, mmm mmm good comeback, the Broncos won their 22nd game in San Diego the most in any city on planet Earth outside Denver.Twenty-one of those victories were against the Chargers; the other was over the Packers.Now, the Broncos can take a deep bye breath.And we can rethink the unthinkable.

The Broncos will finish with a 12-4 record.

The Broncos will win the AFC West.

The Broncos will have a first-round bye.

The Broncos will be the host of a Jan. 13 playoff game and beat the Texans.

The Broncos will defeat the Patriots in the conference championship at home Jan. 20.

The Broncos will play the Giants in Super Bowl XLVII on Sunday, Feb. 3 (4 p.m. MST). Peyton Manning and Eli Manning will play against each other in their hometown.

The Broncos will return to New Orleans for their third Super Bowl in the Superdome 35 years after Super Bowl XII (Dallas 27, Denver 10) and 23 years since Super Bowl XXIV (San Francisco 55, Denver 10).

The Broncos will play the Giants for the second time in the Super Bowl, 26 years after Super Bowl XXI (New York 39, Denver 20).

The Broncos will play in their seventh Super Bowl.

The Broncos will win the Super Bowl for the first time since Jan. 31, 1999, in Super Bowl XXXIII (Denver 34, Atlanta 19) and for the third time in the franchise's history. The first was Jan. 25, 1998 in San Diego (Denver 31, Green Bay 24).

John Elway will be with the Broncos for his sixth Super Bowl. Peyton Manning will play in his third Super Bowl. He will win for the second time to equal Eli and Elway.

That mission is not impossible or unimaginable because of the second half Monday night. Just when the world was ready to write off the Broncos, they were right on.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_21819171/new-orleans-one-big-easy-broncos

:thumbs:

menonite
10-21-2012, 12:49 AM
I think people are reading a little too much into one game. It was a great comeback, but I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet.

I hope Woody is right. Except for the 12-4 part. I'm shooting for 13 -3.

Bronco Rob
10-21-2012, 01:01 AM
I think people are reading a little too much into one game. It was a great comeback, but I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet.

If we can win a tough game on the road (ravens)...i'm drinking the kool aid.

ol#7
10-21-2012, 01:22 AM
Woody also picked us to go undefeated with Plummer.

Moving on...

TheReverend
10-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Would that be awesome or what?!?!?

Doggcow
10-21-2012, 01:41 AM
Probably gonna happen.

Taco John
10-21-2012, 03:36 AM
He forgot the part where we all win the lottery - every last Broncos fan.

extralife
10-21-2012, 04:24 AM
kiss of death, woody

LRtagger
10-21-2012, 04:50 AM
In 05 woody picked us to go to the AFCCG

BowlenBall
10-21-2012, 05:17 AM

Replacing Woody with a more competent columnist would feel like winning the lottery.

cmhargrove
10-21-2012, 06:26 AM
I know it's not very logical, but beating the Patriots in the conference championship would be more meaningful to me than winning the superbowl. I want that one really bad...

ludo21
10-21-2012, 06:30 AM
A Manning SB would be hog heaven for the media

Bacchus
10-21-2012, 06:49 AM

Its not one game. Denver had a murderous schedule. Peyton was going to be rusty the first half of the season. Denver is only going to get better throughout the season, barring injury. Its not one game. Its Denver getting better and better and now they second half they are going to be on fire.

They will only be underdogs in one game the rest of the season.

So far Denver is 2-0 in games they were favored and 1-3 ingames they were underdogs.

orangemonkey
10-21-2012, 07:01 AM
Its not one game. Denver had a murderous schedule. Peyton was going to be rusty the first half of the season. Denver is only going to get better throughout the season, barring injury. Its not one game. Its Denver getting better and better and now they second half they are going to be on fire.

They will only be underdogs in one game the rest of the season.

So far Denver is 2-0 in games they were favored and 1-3 ingames they were underdogs.

Great post. I'm on board. Go Broncos!!!

RaiderH8r
10-21-2012, 07:05 AM

No he didn't. That's the entire premise of the piece.

Bronco Rob
10-21-2012, 07:09 AM
Why is there such aversion to optimism?

???

fwf
10-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Well you know what... I think the Patriots, Packers and Giants from 2011 proved you don't need a great defense anymore to go the distance. If we can go +10 in turnovers starting next week and sure up Special Teams it - COULD -happen.

errand
10-21-2012, 08:26 AM
I know it's not very logical, but beating the Patriots in the conference championship would be more meaningful to me than winning the superbowl. I want that one really bad...

Chances are if we win the SB, it means we would have already beaten the Patriots in the playoffs as well......

errand
10-21-2012, 08:34 AM

???

Who knows?

I can speculate why many on here are such clowns when it comes to being optimistic....but the I think the main reason is most people are just plain negative in their thinking.

Think about it...nobody has ever written a book about how one can be negative. But there are millions of people who have written books on how to be positive.

Go back and read the gameday thread from the Charger's game....everyone and everything connected to the Broncos from the owner to the ****ing ball boy "sucked" according to 90% of these alleged "fans" who after the comeback now claim they were doing ignorant **** like "reverse mojo" and "keeping it real".....

there's a name for stuff like that...it's called "bull**** excuses"

cmhargrove
10-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Chances are if we win the SB, it means we would have already beaten the Patriots in the playoffs as well......

Reading comprehension alert!

Bacchus
10-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Who knows?

I can speculate why many on here are such clowns when it comes to being optimistic....but the I think the main reason is most people are just plain negative in their thinking.

Think about it...nobody has ever written a book about how one can be negative. But there are millions of people who have written books on how to be positive.

Go back and read the gameday thread from the Charger's game....everyone and everything connected to the Broncos from the owner to the ****ing ball boy "sucked" according to 90% of these alleged "fans" who after the comeback now claim they were doing ignorant **** like "reverse mojo" and "keeping it real".....

You won't read any of my posts saying that.

Bronco Rob
10-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Who knows?

Guess we should stick to the tried and true method of passive aggressive reverse psychology. AKA how bad this team or that team is going to beat us......

Where's the swagger? The bravado?

These are great days we're living, bros. We are jolly orange and blue giants, walking the gridiron with Peyton Manning. These teams that we wasted this season are the finest opponents we will ever know. After we rotate back to the world, we're gonna miss not having anyone around that's worth beating..

TheChamp24
10-21-2012, 09:08 AM
I freakin love that homer.

Now, that aside, people need to get down to the facts.
1. You don't need a top defense to win, you just need good pass rushers. We have the best in the game, and another top 10 pass rusher.
2. You need a great QB, we have Manning.

Honestly, I like the chances for the Broncos. We've killed ourselves in 2 games with turnovers early, and we have shown to make tremendous second half adjustments.

Seriously though, isn't it fantastic to hear "Denver's fantastic pass rush will cause *insert team here* problems"
We have been waiting for that for YEARS. YEARS PEOPLE.

Hamrob
10-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Wow, that's a lot of hope being placed on guys like Carter, Harris, Leonard, Trevethon...etc.

I see us going 4-1 at home, and 3-2 on the road. That gives us a 10-6 record, and AFC Championship. I see us playing 1 game at home in the playoffs, and having to travel to Houston and NE. Anything better than 10-6 would be crazy good football. To make it to 10-6...we have to go 7-3 down the stretch...to think we will do even better than that after starting 3-3...is craziness (Woodyness)!

NO
@ Cinn
@ Car
SD
@KC
TB
@Oak
@Balt
Clev
KC

Go Woody...I love you man!!!

Tombstone RJ
10-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Woody had a few shots before he put this gem together. Way to go Woody!!

TheChamp24
10-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Wow, that's a lot of hope being placed on guys like Carter, Harris, Leonard, Trevethon...etc.

I see us going 4-1 at home, and 3-2 on the road. That gives us a 10-6 record, and AFC Championship. I see us playing 1 game at home in the playoffs, and having to travel to Houston and NE. Anything better than 10-6 would be crazy good football. To make it to 10-6...we have to go 7-3 down the stretch...to think we will do even better than that after starting 3-3...is craziness (Woodyness)!

NO
@ Cinn
@ Car
SD
@KC
TB
@Oak
@Balt
Clev
KC

Did you see that schedule? Heck we have 6(5 teams) games against teams that have a record of 5-22, 3 home and 3 away. Then we have 4 games after that, one against a struggling Tampa team, an injury riddled Baltimore team, a somewhat dangerous Cincy team and the Chargers.

Heck, 10-0 isn't entirely improbable. I don't think we go 10-0, but just seeing the schedule, holy cow. I mean, what team do you have us losing to at home? What two road games do we lose?
Honestly, I see us going 8-2 or 7-3, but it wouldn't surprise me to go 10-0 or 9-1.

Spider
10-21-2012, 09:26 AM
I sure hope to hell woody is right on this one ....

broncocalijohn
10-21-2012, 10:13 AM
I sure hope to hell woody is right on this one ....

He wont be. We will need home field advantage IMO to get to the Super Bowl. Add that I just hope we are upticking while teams like the Ravens and Pats are going down will help out also. SOmehow we will need a big time injury to bring down the Texans.

errand
10-21-2012, 10:20 AM
You won't read any of my posts saying that.

They know who they are....and unfortunately for them, so do we..;D

errand
10-21-2012, 10:23 AM
He wont be. We will need home field advantage IMO to get to the Super Bowl. Add that I just hope we are upticking while teams like the Ravens and Pats are going down will help out also. SOmehow we will need a big time injury to bring down the Texans.

Well, in my opinion we're just as good as those teams are ...

We can beat the Patriots and the Texans even though we didn't. To their credit they played better and smarter that day.....but monday night's second half showed the NFL what Peyton and this team is capable of when all cylinders are firing.

broncocalijohn
10-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Well, in my opinion we're just as good as those teams are ...

We can beat the Patriots and the Texans even though we didn't. To their credit they played better and smarter that day.....but monday night's second half showed the NFL what Peyton and this team is capable of when all cylinders are firing.

We need that we can play the elite teams (and above average teams) and play 4 quarters of good football. We have not done that in those 3 losses and played 2 quarters in the SD game. THey haven't proved it yet. THerefore, saying we will only lose 1 game left in the season is hype. Anything over 10 wins will be a huge complishment but not sure if it is good enough to be top 2 in records.

errand
10-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Reading comprehension alert!

Oops! sorry man....it sounded like you'd rather beat the Pats than win the SB...my mistake.

NFLBRONCO
10-21-2012, 10:36 AM
9-1 finish love it woodro

errand
10-21-2012, 10:39 AM
We need that we can play the elite teams (and above average teams) and play 4 quarters of good football. We have not done that in those 3 losses and played 2 quarters in the SD game. THey haven't proved it yet. THerefore, saying we will only lose 1 game left in the season is hype. Anything over 10 wins will be a huge complishment but not sure if it is good enough to be top 2 in records.

True, but it is possible is it not?

Sure, they've not played a complete game save for the Raiders game....but the 2nd half adjustments made and the way they've been able to come back on those "elite" teams gives me hope and leads me to believe that we're pretty close to playing at a very high level down the stretch....

Rock Chalk
10-21-2012, 11:26 AM
If we can win a tough game on the road (ravens)...i'm drinking the kool aid.

Game aint looking so tough right now.

Houston is murdering Baltimore. Granted it is in Houston but this is just a flat out ass kicking.

Taco John
10-21-2012, 11:27 AM

???

Woody predicted the team to go 16-0 at one point. I'm all for optimism, but I'm not a fan of the false sort.

Mogulseeker
10-21-2012, 01:49 PM
God, Woody Paige is a terrible writer.

peacepipe
10-21-2012, 02:44 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/schedule-and-events/schedule.html

the remaining schedule is nowhere near as tough as the 1st 6 games.
saints
ravens
bengals
are our toughest games. all 3 are definetely beatable.
outside of those games we got
KC 2x
oak 1x
chargers 1x
cleveland
tampa bay
carolina
at worst I see us going 10-6.

Cito Pelon
10-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Eh, the juggernaut theory sounds good to me. There's actually decent evidence the theory can become fact.

go_broncos
10-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Woody paige - just like fans in this site..
After win - we are SB team..
After loss - we are one of the worst teams.

Fact - We are an average team that need lots of improvement.
I will believe in this team when we start playing well from the 1st quarter.

Bacchus
10-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Woody paige - just like fans in this site..
After win - we are SB team..

No_BRONCOS!!!!!!

menonite
10-21-2012, 03:22 PM
no_broncos after a loss - this team sucks
no_broncos after a win - this team sucks but it got lucky

Punisher
10-21-2012, 03:35 PM
The 2nd half of games looks a bit weak so i'll say 11-5 ???

Agamemnon
10-21-2012, 03:42 PM

???

I think it's more an aversion to unwarranted optimism. Teams that can't protect the football don't generally go 12-4 or go to the Super Bowl.

Hamrob
10-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Did you see that schedule? Heck we have 6(5 teams) games against teams that have a record of 5-22, 3 home and 3 away. Then we have 4 games after that, one against a struggling Tampa team, an injury riddled Baltimore team, a somewhat dangerous Cincy team and the Chargers.

Heck, 10-0 isn't entirely improbable. I don't think we go 10-0, but just seeing the schedule, holy cow. I mean, what team do you have us losing to at home? What two road games do we lose?
Honestly, I see us going 8-2 or 7-3, but it wouldn't surprise me to go 10-0 or 9-1.Hey, before the 2nd half comeback against the chargers things were pretty bleak. We could have been 2-4 and in big trouble.

4-1 at home - I think we lose to either N.O. or SD at home.
3-2 on the road - I think we lose to Balt & Car, and Cinn is no slouch, or Arrowhead).

Although, I do think if we can put it all together on Offense...we have a chance at a better record, I'm skeptical. Our defense is just not very good. And if we keep turning the ball over....10-6 will be a gift.

I'm hoping we come out of the bye on fire...but, I'll wait to see what our defense can do against Brees before I get my hopes up too much!

razorwire77
10-21-2012, 03:47 PM
I'd settle for 3 consecutive quarters of consistent play.

spdirty
10-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Who knows?

Some of us are superstitious, and care enough to get frustrated and upset when the team performs poorly.

Go **** yourself fan police.

Bacchus
10-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Some of us are superstitious, and care enough to get frustrated and upset when the team performs poorly.

Well, you just look stupid after the fact when Denver wins and you just got done saying that the defense sucks, the coaching sucks, Need to fire everyone!!!!!!!!

When I get pissed off during a game I will step back away from the computer. Self control. Don't make decisions in haste and you shouldn't type things in haste whether it is on FB, at the office or on a message board.

baja
10-21-2012, 05:50 PM
I like Woody. I think he would be fun to hang out with.

I think he is closer to right than wrong in this article

My concern is how will Peyton handle the coming cold weather.

Bacchus
10-21-2012, 06:44 PM
I like Woody. I think he would be fun to hang out with.

I think he is closer to right than wrong in this article

My concern is how will Peyton handle the coming cold weather.

He was awesome during the '97 season. Denver had lost two in a row late in the season and they lost the division title to KC and had to be a wild card. Woody never gave up hope he had a bunch of "Jagwad" articles saying Denver was going to have payback for '96 loss. He had a lot of optimisim when many people had jumped off the Broncos' bandwagon. I'll always remember him for that. I think he is the one that coined it "The Revenge Tour"

Broncos_OTM
10-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Well, you just look stupid after the fact when Denver wins and you just got done saying that the defense sucks, the coaching sucks, Need to fire everyone!!!!!!!!

When I get pissed off during a game I will step back away from the computer. Self control. Don't make decisions in haste and you shouldn't type things in haste whether it is on FB, at the office or on a message board.agreed.

If denver can win atleast 9 games they'll beat my expectations. Im usually a homer, however the last few years i got sickof the hype and wanted my team to prove it to me.

maven
10-21-2012, 07:03 PM
The Broncos will be the host of a Jan. 13 playoff game and beat the Texans.

They are going to end up with the #1 seed.

maven
10-21-2012, 07:07 PM

I somewhat agree with this. But, what makes me optimistic is Denver hasn't been blown out. Denver had a chance in all of the games. The key is to put in 4 q's worth of football, just like the Raiders game. Show some consistency, and Denver can be well on it's way to the playoffs. That is all I want. Just make it to the big dance.

baja
10-21-2012, 07:12 PM
He was awesome during the '97 season. Denver had lost two in a row late in the season and they lost the division title to KC and had to be a wild card. Woody never gave up hope he had a bunch of "Jagwad" articles saying Denver was going to have payback for '96 loss. He had a lot of optimisim when many people had jumped off the Broncos' bandwagon. I'll always remember him for that. I think he is the one that coined it "The Revenge Tour"

I remember that, I don't get all the Woody hate. Just like I didn't get all the Adam S. hate when he wrote for the DP.

errand
10-21-2012, 08:15 PM

This is your take regardless of whether we win or lose....

errand
10-21-2012, 08:20 PM

So now it was you being superstitious? LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Lie to your parents.....quit lying to me and the rest of us.

Bronco Rob
10-21-2012, 09:25 PM
I miss Bob Kravitz. Was hoping he would return from Indianapolis to follow Manning back to Denver.

Bacchus
10-21-2012, 09:27 PM
I miss Bob Kravitz. Was hoping he would return from Indianapolis to follow Manning back to Denver.

Yeah, he is still there I click on the Star to read some of his stuff.

lonestar
10-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Woody had a few shots before he put this gem together. Way to go Woody!!

more like several visits to a head shop..

nice piece on Rocky mountain high on 60 minutes tonight..

Bronco Rob
10-29-2012, 09:39 AM
After the Broncos marched 98 and 93 yards for touchdowns, the Saints must have been asking: "Who that?" When the Broncos scored in the third quarter for a commanding 31-7 cushion yes, those Broncos were playing from way ahead for a change in the fourth quarter they'd had 31 running plays for 153 yards and a 5.0-yard average. The Broncos finished with 225 yards on the ground on 41 runs.

Manning provided his usual exceptional effort throwing for 305 yards and, for the fourth straight game, three touchdowns. Drew Brees was reduced to a light breeze. He extended his consecutive touchdown streak, but was as ineffective as the rest of the Saints.

Get this: The Saints were 1-of-12 on third downs. They seemed like the old Aints. The Broncos accumulated 531 yards, and the Saints, supposedly the No. 1 overall offensive team in the NFL, were held to a miserable 252. For the past six quarters the Broncos' defense has been the best in the NFL. And, like a two-by-four in the head, the Broncos have gotten the league's attention. The Broncos have outscored opponents 89-6 in the fourth quarter. But, for once, they outscored an opponent 17-7 in the first half, despite the Saints coach saying his team was right where it wanted to be at that point. Who dat?

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_21878314/woody-paige-denver-broncos-marching-another-afc-west?source=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-sports-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%29