PDA

View Full Version : Terrible News

Lycan
10-17-2012, 04:04 AM
Despite losing his starting job, Broncos linebacker Joe Mays remains in the team's future plans.

Despite being replaced by veteran Keith Brooking in Monday Night's 35-24 win over the San Diego Chargers, head coach John Fox insists that he and the organization "haven't give up" on the 27-year-old from North Dakota State. Whether the move to Brooking as the starter is permanent remains to be seen, but the team appears confident that Mays will be part of their future, saying they will "evaluate him moving forward."

http://denver.sbnation.com/2012/10/16/3513994/joe-mays-denver-broncos-2012-john-fox

Thoughts? Here are mine:

http://i.imgur.com/WTh4L.gif

Tim
10-17-2012, 04:12 AM
Part of the team as a backup, I hope.

go_broncos
10-17-2012, 04:51 AM
Despite losing his starting job, Broncos linebacker Joe Mays remains in the team's future plans.

Despite being replaced by veteran Keith Brooking in Monday Night's 35-24 win over the San Diego Chargers, head coach John Fox insists that he and the organization "haven't give up" on the 27-year-old from North Dakota State. Whether the move to Brooking as the starter is permanent remains to be seen, but the team appears confident that Mays will be part of their future, saying they will "evaluate him moving forward."

http://denver.sbnation.com/2012/10/16/3513994/joe-mays-denver-broncos-2012-john-fox

Thoughts? Here are mine:

http://i.imgur.com/WTh4L.gif

Good thing is they accepted the mistake and didn't start him.
They can evaluate him...but, he is not going to change.

TheReverend
10-17-2012, 05:03 AM
He can be valuable situationally... we just need the appropriate depth to KEEP him where he's an asset and not a liability... like how Nolan handled Dawkins in 09.

(no, I'm not comparing Mays and Dawkins, calm down. I'm comparing situational impact)

fontaine
10-17-2012, 05:03 AM
This is one of the reasons why I like John Fox's coaching style.

He's not blaming the guy publicly, he's not promising to start him or bench him permanently, he's just promising to continue to evaluate him.

In other words, "Show me you can play better Joe Mays!"

I'll take that any day over "We're just trying to win a m*******g game!!"

chrisp
10-17-2012, 05:05 AM
Didn't they say something not-dissimilar about tebow shortly before they traded him?

Bottom line is you don't trash a player untill you have their replacement lined up - you may find you need them whether you like it or not. How many times has ANY team ever said "we're benching him becuase we think he sucks and he really has no future with the team"??

We did invest some dollars in the guy so we may be wanting to try to maintain trade value - not sure what the cap hit is if we cut him in the offseason. Plus I also think the Coaches really were enamoured of his brutal hitting and felt he would be an intimidating presence in the middle of the field. Its become clear however that this can't cover up his inadequacies.

he may have a future in goal-line packages and the like. He does have some value but probably not as a starter anywhere anymore...

2KBack
10-17-2012, 05:11 AM
Of course he is still part of the plan....Mays has absolute value on the team, he is just limited in what he can do. He isn't a player worth hating, even if he is one you don't want starting.

Lycan
10-17-2012, 05:29 AM
All I know is I never want to hear the words "Joe Mays in coverage" again.

maher_tyler
10-17-2012, 05:50 AM
Didn't they say something not-dissimilar about tebow shortly before they traded him?

Bottom line is you don't trash a player untill you have their replacement lined up - you may find you need them whether you like it or not. How many times has ANY team ever said "we're benching him becuase we think he sucks and he really has no future with the team"??

We did invest some dollars in the guy so we may be wanting to try to maintain trade value - not sure what the cap hit is if we cut him in the offseason. Plus I also think the Coaches really were enamoured of his brutal hitting and felt he would be an intimidating presence in the middle of the field. Its become clear however that this can't cover up his inadequacies.

he may have a future in goal-line packages and the like. He does have some value but probably not as a starter anywhere anymore...

He should have never started in the first place. He was terrible last year yet we brought in zero. He is good in Special Teams and in a back up roll. Glad they finally realized he isn't as good as they thought he was.

DENVERDUI55
10-17-2012, 05:52 AM
He can be part of the teams plans as a ST player and a backup LB.

LRtagger
10-17-2012, 06:23 AM
Probably should have evaluated how bad he sucked last year before giving him a huge extension

was just about to change my avatar too. Guess I need to leave it up.

Kaylore
10-17-2012, 06:32 AM
Honestly he missed some special teams tackles. This reads like one of those cursed "votes of confidence" that end up showing the guy cut or fired a few weeks later. I'm not sayin Mays is getting cut, but "he's in our plans" and "will be evaluated going forward" doesn't mean he's going to play again anytime soon.

Dr. Broncenstein
10-17-2012, 06:37 AM
Man I was worried that Moreno was going to be activated when I saw the headline. That had me going...

spdirty
10-17-2012, 06:41 AM
Honestly he missed some special teams tackles. This reads like one of those cursed "votes of confidence" that end up showing the guy cut or fired a few weeks later. I'm not sayin Mays is getting cut, but "he's in our plans" and "will be evaluated going forward" doesn't mean he's going to play again anytime soon.

He really did miss ST tackles? Oh goodness, I only rewatched/enjoyed the 2nd half and never paid attention to Mays.

go_broncos
10-17-2012, 06:45 AM
Man I was worried that Moreno was going to be activated when I saw the headline. That had me going...

Moreno should play against chiefs.
he plays well against them.

Dr. Broncenstein
10-17-2012, 06:48 AM
Moreno should play against chiefs.
he plays well against them.

I like your deadpan humor.

go_broncos
10-17-2012, 06:58 AM
I like your deadpan humor.

These are his stats against KC:

ATT Yards
------ ------
21 86
14 50
22 106
23 161
4 52 -- He was hurt and couldn't complete the game

bronco militia
10-17-2012, 07:02 AM
I don't know what the big deal is. This is still the same Joe Mays that missed tackles in 2010 and 2011. Unfortunately, his replacement isn't on the Broncos roster.....yet.

Nwp-Apap
10-17-2012, 07:02 AM
One piece.. Great stuff, but the manga is better

Dr. Broncenstein
10-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Joe Mays is like a scud missile. Designed to blow things up from a distance using a guidence system based upon random chance.

Broncos_OTM
10-17-2012, 07:23 AM
there is no plan b

Smiling Assassin27
10-17-2012, 07:25 AM
Part of the team as a backup, I hope.

Can he return kicks?

WolfpackGuy
10-17-2012, 07:43 AM
Coincidence the defense's two best performances came when he wasn't a part of it?

gunns
10-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Don't EVER put terrible news as the subject headline. I thought someone was hurt. Blood pressure pill time.

razorwire77
10-17-2012, 08:01 AM
He can be valuable situationally... we just need the appropriate depth to KEEP him where he's an asset and not a liability... like how Nolan handled Dawkins in 09.

(no, I'm not comparing Mays and Dawkins, calm down. I'm comparing situational impact)

Absolutely he remains valuable situationally. Good teams have situational players like Joe Mays on their teams. They just don't use them on the 45-yard-line as two or three down Mikes He's useful Firing the A gap on 4th and Goal, thumping people on special teams etc.

Tombstone RJ
10-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Mays will be on the team for this season. All $4m is guaranteed right, so why cut the guy if you still have to pay him? And no other team is going to trade for him unless the Broncos eat a significant portion of his contract. So basically he is back to where he was when he played for the Eagles, a backup MLBer.

I think the Broncos just really like Mays and wanted to give him a shot at being the starting MLB but they now realize he's just too much of a one dimensional player. Perhaps Fox thought that Del Rio could get more out of him or something? Maybe Del Rio just really liked Mays and wanted to see if he could be the guy, who knows? That being said the Broncos are really in a curious situation at LBer as Williams is AWOL/WTF?, Mays is benched, Miller is basically on the LOS all the time, Woodyard is ok but can't cover in space, Trevathan is a rookie, Brooking is older than dirt, and Irving is still an unknown. It's simply wierd that the Broncos didn't make LBer more of a priority on the off season.

The Broncos either need to have 4 guys on the LOS that can get consistent pressure on the QB so it frees up Miller to play more of a traditional SLB position, or they need to make LBer a priority in the offseason. I'd prefer they do both but we shall see. Heck, the secondary still needs work too.

phibacka31
10-17-2012, 08:20 AM
I understand he hasn't been able to beat out Joe Mays, but I still think Nate Irving has a chance to be pretty good. He has gotten big and plays pretty nasty... Wouldn't mind seeing him get a crack at MLB...

Chris
10-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Does anyone have a gif of Joe Mays staring into space like Hannibal Lecter just ate his prefrontal cortex?

broncocalijohn
10-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Of course he is still part of the plan....Mays has absolute value on the team, he is just limited in what he can do. He isn't a player worth hating, even if he is one you don't want starting.

Exactly. The hate is coming because he is thrown in as a starter when he clearly has no business being there. It isn't like he is a top draft pick and is considered a bust because of it. He is a guy that might do well in special teams and be a back up to the back up. His problem is reading coverage and he can't cover. Mike is not his position. If he doesn't improve, he won't be on the roster.

DBroncos4life
10-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Does anyone have a gif of Joe Mays staring into space like Hannibal Lecter just ate his prefrontal cortex?

I felt bad for him when they showed him on the sideline during the game.

broncocalijohn
10-17-2012, 09:23 AM

He would have felt worse if he was allowed to play and his directing the players would have guaranteed a loss for our team. Best he stayed on the sideline and learned by watching.

razorwire77
10-17-2012, 09:24 AM
I understand he hasn't been able to beat out Joe Mays, but I still think Nate Irving has a chance to be pretty good. He has gotten big and plays pretty nasty... Wouldn't mind seeing him get a crack at MLB...

Credit where credit is due, when Von got dinged and he came in for a play he blew **** up. He's also been really solid on special teams. If he develops as a player, I think he's probably going to be more of a Keith Burns type than a starting caliber MLB though.

Chris
10-17-2012, 09:29 AM

Yeah... I did too... but then I thought what's better Joe Mays being happy or my team winning a mother****ing game?!

errand
10-17-2012, 10:56 AM

I didn't ...he's making $4mil and not producing like he should. Special teams could use his big hits. Joe Mays is this team's version of Keith Burns

socalorado
10-17-2012, 12:01 PM

He had that monster tackle when Von went out on Mon night!
Like a freakin heatseaker!

TheReverend
10-17-2012, 12:12 PM
He had that monster tackle when Von went out on Mon night!
Like a freakin heatseaker!

Haha yeah. He got one play to try and make an impact and made the play.

Crushaholic
10-17-2012, 12:20 PM
"Evaluating him" is NOT the same as returning him to a starting job. He's good depth...

Popps
10-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Lay off the Idiot Cannonball. Not his fault they made him a starter. Put him back in a reserve role where he belongs and let him come in and destroy RBs a few times a game. Problem solved.

srphoenix
10-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Lay off the Idiot Cannonball. Not his fault they made him a starter. Put him back in a reserve role where he belongs and let him come in and destroy RBs a few times a game. Problem solved.

This is exactly it. Mays is a great situational run stuffing linebacker, however he is not fast enough in a 4-3 to play in space on passing plays nor to get to the edge to stop stretch runs or tosses.

Irving did have that great backside pursuant tackle, but I'm not sure he is the answer either. We have a borderline great defense and I think a stud MLB could be the last piece of that puzzle.

TheReverend
10-17-2012, 12:40 PM

Amazing how easily you can take this post and apply it to John Engleberger.

gyldenlove
10-17-2012, 01:13 PM

Any of the safeties we have had in the last 6 years not named John Lynch or Brian Dawkins, Nate Webster, Boss Bailey, Amon Gordon, most of the browncos and quite a few DTs over the last 5 years...

Br0nc0Buster
10-17-2012, 01:24 PM
This is exactly it. Mays is a great situational run stuffing linebacker, however he is not fast enough in a 4-3 to play in space on passing plays nor to get to the edge to stop stretch runs or tosses.

Irving did have that great backside pursuant tackle, but I'm not sure he is the answer either. We have a borderline great defense and I think a stud MLB could be the last piece of that puzzle.

Maybe if the situation involves the other team only using the A gaps in the run game

the good thing about Brooking is he is too slow to overrun plays

Rock Chalk
10-17-2012, 02:33 PM

JFC do you have to get Popps started on that guy?

TonyR
10-18-2012, 12:52 PM
This year he has six stops, the worst Run Stop Percentage among qualifying middle linebackers, and an amazingly low nine solo tackles against the run. With the success he has had in the past, one can only expect Maysí stats to get better as the season goes on. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/18/snapshot-run-stop-percentage-linebackers/

BroncoMan4ever
10-18-2012, 01:07 PM
Jesus christ I had no idea Mays was 27. I had thought he was early 30's.

cutthemdown
10-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Be careful Joe Mays dad may be on the site. If you say anything negative about a player whose dad is on the board you have to go be a Chiefs fan.

Signed KUPESDAD

ZONA
10-18-2012, 01:29 PM
What else do you expect them to say, he's done in Denver. They're paying the guy why would you want to kill any value or possibly get him disgruntled. Honestly, I don't even see the reason for this post. It's not even a relevant topic. He's a guy on the team, who doesn't start anymore and everybody in the world knows why and the team would not come out with any kind of statement about any player on the team saying they're not happy with them and they have no future with the team, not in the middle of the season. WTF do you expect to hear?

Kaylore
10-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Be careful Joe Mays dad may be on the site. If you say anything negative about a player whose dad is on the board you have to go be a Chiefs fan.

Signed KUPESDAD

What a stupid post. Didn't you say Kuper sucked or he wouldn't start on other teams or some such nonsense? Then you're mocking a dad defending his son, especially when your point was idiotic.

Quit being a dick.

cmhargrove
10-18-2012, 02:55 PM
We certainly could have been more aggressive looking for linebackers in free agency (especially with the DJ suspension in the works), but i'm not sure there was a ton of top flight talent available in the 2012 draft.

I guess the biggest head scratcher is that we did spend "starter money" on Mays when other options were still on the table. Oh well, this team is still developing. It will be interesting to see how the LB corps changes over the remainder of the season. Lots of season left to play, and the young guys are finally starting to produce.

cutthemdown
10-18-2012, 02:56 PM
What a stupid post. Didn't you say Kuper sucked or he wouldn't start on other teams or some such nonsense? Then you're mocking a dad defending his son, especially when your point was idiotic.

Quit being a dick.

No I said the interior oline stinks, except for maybe kuper when he is healthy, which isn't often is seems lately. Or something like that. So what you are saying is because his dad is on the site he is off limits to critique more then some other player on the board? That seems ludicrous to me. I called him out on saying i never say anything positive then making a personal insult about how my life must be, then saying for me to be a Chiefs fan. Which i find amusing because if his kid went to another team he would follow him.

I never said he sucked but in another thread awhile ago I argued he was not a top 15 or 20 guard or something like that. He would start for some teams and not others, but I stand by the opinion I don't think he is a great player. I never said he sucked though.

Like I said before though if Morenos dad shows up is he off limits then also? Its not fair to call me out just because I said something about someones kid who plays football. He should have a thicker skin then that. Not like I gave him some disparging nickname like slowshon or methwolfe lol. Whatever he is a decent gaurd when hes healthy but we need bigtime help on the interior of our oline.

I will go along with he is better then Koppen, Blake, Rameriz, and Beadles.

Lestat
10-18-2012, 04:13 PM
all that is code for "we messed up, we'll bite the bullet and use him in the best way possible... but then, HE GONE!"

cutthemdown
10-18-2012, 04:27 PM
all that is code for "we messed up, we'll bite the bullet and use him in the best way possible... but then, HE GONE!"

I like mays when he can just run full speed into people. Best to just send him at the QB or a pre determined gap for a run blitz in my opinion. Keep his angles and decision making to a minimum. Your right though not the full time linebacker broncos paid him to be.

Lestat
10-18-2012, 05:29 PM
if he was making 900K and was the back up who rarely saw the field that would be one thing. but this dude is making over 4 mil and he's supposed to be the starter.

he's so limited it's not funny. we have got to get an upgrade either in FA or through the draft.

broncosteven
10-18-2012, 05:53 PM

They should have him gain 40-50lbs and move him to DT

broncosteven
10-18-2012, 05:54 PM
I like mays when he can just run full speed into people. Best to just send him at the QB or a pre determined gap for a run blitz in my opinion. Keep his angles and decision making to a minimum. Your right though not the full time linebacker broncos paid him to be.

So he can be half a step late and get flagged for roughing?

cutthemdown
10-19-2012, 01:07 PM
So he can be half a step late and get flagged for roughing?

Ya i guess lol.

kupesdad
10-19-2012, 03:57 PM
No I said the interior oline stinks, except for maybe kuper when he is healthy, which isn't often is seems lately. Or something like that. So what you are saying is because his dad is on the site he is off limits to critique more then some other player on the board? That seems ludicrous to me. I called him out on saying i never say anything positive then making a personal insult about how my life must be, then saying for me to be a Chiefs fan. Which i find amusing because if his kid went to another team he would follow him.

I never said he sucked but in another thread awhile ago I argued he was not a top 15 or 20 guard or something like that. He would start for some teams and not others, but I stand by the opinion I don't think he is a great player. I never said he sucked though.

Like I said before though if Morenos dad shows up is he off limits then also? Its not fair to call me out just because I said something about someones kid who plays football. He should have a thicker skin then that. Not like I gave him some disparging nickname like slowshon or methwolfe lol. Whatever he is a decent gaurd when hes healthy but we need bigtime help on the interior of our oline.

I will go along with he is better then Koppen, Blake, Rameriz, and Beadles.

I guess he gets voted as offensive captain by his teammates because he brings cookies to practice... is he a gourd or a guard?

OBF1
10-19-2012, 04:06 PM
I guess he gets voted as offensive captain by his teammates because he brings cookies to practice... is he a gourd or a guard?

This shiat just got real. For what it is worth, I think Kupe is our best guard hands down.

fontaine
10-19-2012, 04:24 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/18/snapshot-run-stop-percentage-linebackers/

I find it equally hilarious that McClain is just as awful against the run as Mays according to that link.

Aren't there posters here who still complain the FO didnt' sign him?

ROFL!

Slightly Soiled
10-19-2012, 04:35 PM
My son and his high school team played a playoff game in the Fargo Dome in Mays's Sr year. The game was after the Bison played so the kids got to meet the players and Mays gave them a little pep talk and was extreemly cool with those kids. My son is not a broncos fan but he watches for Mays.

The deal is Mays is not starter material just because Fox and Del Rio thought he was sure as hell doesn't make it his fault for taking the money.He got to the NFL by flying around taking guys heads off, hard to fault him for that.

cutthemdown
10-19-2012, 04:48 PM
This shiat just got real. For what it is worth, I think Kupe is our best guard hands down.

I will agree with that 100% What I had said was I didn't think he was among the elite guards in the NFL. I never said he wasn't worthy of being an NFL starter or a team captian. Obviously he plays hard, works hard, stays out of trouble so his teammates liked him enough to give him that honor.

I took issue with the fact if you critique a player, or say something about a player its ok, unless that players dad frequents the board. Then I made a few jokes that its good joe mays dad isn't on the board. Big deal.

I never said anything about Chris Kuper or his dad as people, but he felt the need to respond that way. So I had a good time with it because its my personality to deal with things in a lighthearted manor most times. At least I try to. What I won't do is say your life must suck, go be a Chiefs fan. I have been a loyal Broncos fan since 1977 when i was 7 yrs old. Do I get to into it? Hell yes. Do I get too pissed off when the team plays poorly? yes just like a whole lot of other fans do.

Lets not get carried away with whats said about one player because his dad is on the board. When Kuper maks an all pro team I will retract what I said about him being an avg NFL starting calibar guard. Which is still pretty damn good considering only 64 men get to say I am an NFL starting guard. Only 32 if you break it down to his RG spot. So I guess its how you look at it. IMO he probably is in the top half of that 64 which IMO is saying he is a pretty good football player.

baja
10-19-2012, 04:56 PM
I find it equally hilarious that McClain is just as awful against the run as Mays according to that link.

Aren't there posters here who still complain the FO didnt' sign him?

ROFL!

Dude you been here 10 years don't you know by now that the player is bad because he plays for another team and as soon as he is a Bronco he will automatically become an all pro.