PDA

View Full Version : Esquire write-up on the glorious San Diego game

BowlenBall
10-16-2012, 10:58 AM
"And it's true: The game appeared kaput at half. I was playing Draw Something on my iPhone at the time, nailing tons of coins by drawing pictures of Jessica Alba and ambulances with my thumbpad. I'd quit watching. But then, in the first minutes of the second half, there was Peyton, suddenly, somehow being Peyton again: the traffic directions, the whispering to the linemen, the little hop-step in a hot pocket, the uncanny string of receptions. For the first time in a season and a half, since he broke his neck for chrissakes, Peyton Manning became himself again. And while it was easy to think it might only last a minute or two, and really even that was fun enough, it started to feel very real when the Broncos' secondary started in with their super-sticky interceptions of the putz's dopey rainbows. It started to feel like Peyton was giving birth to a team, right in front of us, by force of will and without an epidural, just as he did time and again in Indy."

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/broncos-chargers-monday-night-football-2012-13780038#ixzz29UCGjbKx

menonite
10-16-2012, 11:07 AM
"It started to feel like Peyton was giving birth to a team, right in front of us, by force of will and without an epidural"

Poetry. I guess the editor nixed the "Philip Rivers rectum prolapsed at midfield" line.

Garcia Bronco
10-16-2012, 11:17 AM
LOL..."Putz's dopey rainbows".

Irish Stout
10-16-2012, 11:28 AM
That dude hates Phyllis as much as I do. Great piece.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-16-2012, 11:33 AM
I dont understand why the football world considers our receivers "sub par."

McDman
10-16-2012, 11:38 AM
I dont understand why the football world considers our receivers "sub par."

They are talented but dropped passes, fumbles, ridiculous slides, and tripping in the open field probbaly have something to do with it.

SonOfLe-loLang
10-16-2012, 11:40 AM
They are talented but dropped passes, fumbles, ridiculous slides, and tripping in the open field probbaly have something to do with it.

Flawed and "sub par" are two very different things.

Tombstone RJ
10-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Espuire, really? Why not grab a Cosmopolitan or a Vanity Fair for your sports reading enjoyment? Hell, I bet the New Yorker has some quality sports commentary too.

BowlenBall
10-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Espuire, really? Why not grab a Cosmopolitan or a Vanity Fair for your sports reading enjoyment? Hell, I bet the New Yorker has some quality sports commentary too.

A man gets tired of reading Woody Paige all the time.

A man thinks something like this is amusing:

"I started to feel lucky I was watching football at 11:15 on a Monday night. Because this is why they have Monday Night Football: so you can be a part of this unlikely event, unfolding at this unlikely time of day, when most people have given in, to sleep, to their sense of the inevitable, to a good book and to be able to talk about it the next day."

Tombstone RJ
10-16-2012, 11:54 AM
A man gets tired of reading Woody Paige all the time.

A man thinks something like this is amusing:

"I started to feel lucky I was watching football at 11:15 on a Monday night. Because this is why they have Monday Night Football: so you can be a part of this unlikely event, unfolding at this unlikely time of day, when most people have given in, to sleep, to their sense of the inevitable, to a good book and to be able to talk about it the next day."

Woodrow does suck.

gunns
10-16-2012, 12:40 PM
LOL..."Putz's dopey rainbows".

No kidding! Nothing worse than ROTFLMAO at work

broncocalijohn
10-16-2012, 01:17 PM
"And it's true: The game appeared kaput at half. I was playing Draw Something on my iPhone at the time, nailing tons of coins by drawing pictures of Jessica Alba and ambulances with my thumbpad. I'd quit watching....

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/broncos-chargers-monday-night-football-2012-13780038#ixzz29UCGjbKx

Esquire. Where real men go to get their sports fix.

jerseyboiler120
10-16-2012, 03:41 PM

All the new york forms of media are just talking about the yankees. I live in jersey right across the hudson, and people think I'm making it up that the game was the greatest comeback in monday night football history. They're too worried about a-rod's overpaid a--.

OrangeSe7en
10-16-2012, 03:47 PM
"It started to feel like Peyton was giving birth to a team, right in front of us, by force of will and without an epidural"

Poetry. I guess the editor nixed the "Philip Rivers rectum prolapsed at midfield" line.

Haha! That was awesome!

nyuk nyuk
10-16-2012, 04:28 PM

I like yours better.

extralife
10-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Hell, I bet the New Yorker has some quality sports commentary too.

yes, it does (on occasion)