PDA

View Full Version : Must Win Game?

fwf
09-26-2012, 07:07 AM
Considering we're on the road the next two weeks to NE and SD.. And this is a home division game.. And its a rally the troops,, get our confidence back,, if you lose to the Raiders at home then who can you beat game?

I hate to say must win in week 4, but I cant think of another team in the league with more pressure on their back to show up.

F*@k the Raiders!

Beantown Bronco
09-26-2012, 07:25 AM
It's easy to tell the people that suck at math. They are the first ones to throw around the phrase "must win game" before December.

I cant think of another team in the league with more pressure on their back to show up.

New Orleans.....come on down!

fwf
09-26-2012, 07:35 AM
It's easy to tell the people that suck at math. They are the first ones to throw around the phrase "must win game" before December.

New Orleans.....come on down!

The saints kind of have an excuse, and no one is really expecting them to beat GB this week. The Broncos on the other hand are a bit of a mystery. This weeks game says a lot about who we are and where we're going. A team that falls to 1-3 and loses at home to a division rival could lose their mo-jo...Start doubting themselves. Start thinking.. 1-5 and a wasted season is right around the corner.

Im calling it a must win. You call it what you want. We're going to find out who we really are this week.

Not mention that their coach is going to know, to the T, exactly how to defend us. We're very close to a wasted season people. Sorry, thats the truth.

ColoradoDarin
09-26-2012, 07:39 AM
If you were expecting 12-4, then yes, it's a must win.

9-7, not so much.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-26-2012, 07:44 AM
I think it's a must win as well. Division games are important, and starting the divisional campaign 0-1 (with a home loss to probably the weakest team in the division) and conference campaign 1-2 (with two home losses) is not a good indicator.

Gotta win divisional games regardless, but this is as "must win" as a week 4 game gets. I really don't want to be 1-4 after our trip to New England.

go_broncos
09-26-2012, 07:45 AM
If we lose this game..then we are done..Unfortunately,we have to factor in the ref's as well..Just hoping that ref's are Bronco supporters.

Beantown Bronco
09-26-2012, 07:46 AM
If you were expecting 12-4, then yes, it's a must win.

Not even then.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-26-2012, 07:47 AM
Not even then.

So if we lose to the Raiders and Pats, we'll be 1-4... we're just going to run the table and go 12-4?

Beantown Bronco
09-26-2012, 07:48 AM
The only must win regular season games are the ones that mathematically eliminate you from the playoffs if you lose. Does this one meet that criteria? Nope.

Beantown Bronco
09-26-2012, 07:49 AM
So if we lose to the Raiders and Pats, we'll be 1-4... we're just going to run the table and go 12-4?

I'm not psychic.

All I'm saying is that it's mathematically possible.

(But I do love how everyone appears to be conceding the Pats game already. Strange....)

edog24
09-26-2012, 07:54 AM
I think all division games are must win, the importance of this was shown last year.

Beantown Bronco
09-26-2012, 07:57 AM
I think all division games are must win, the importance of this was shown last year.

Bad example. The Giants won the SB last year after going 3-3 in their division. They actually lost both times to the worst team in it.

fwf
09-26-2012, 08:00 AM
The last team to start the season 1-4 and make the playoffs were the
2002 NY Jets

Beantown Bronco
09-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Giants also went 3-3 in their division when they won the SB in 2007.
Packers didn't run the division table in 2010 when they won the SB.
Steelers went 2-4 in their division in 2009 when they won the SB.

Beantown Bronco
09-26-2012, 08:01 AM
The last team to start the season 1-4 and make the playoffs were the
2002 NY Jets

Again......conceding two more games when all we're talking about here is one.

Rohirrim
09-26-2012, 08:02 AM
At home, against the Raiders, is always a must-win situation.

fwf
09-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Again......conceding two more games when all we're talking about here is one.

Im not conceding sh!t. Im saying if we start 1-4 were not making the playoffs. We need to win one of the next two.. how about that. I like our chances in this one more then the New England one on the road

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Giants also went 3-3 in their division when they won the SB in 2007.
Packers didn't run the division table in 2010 when they won the SB.
Steelers went 2-4 in their division in 2009 when they won the SB.

Those are clearly the rule, rather than the exceptions.

Pats do look beatable, I'll give you that. But I'm not sure they'll be able to afford a loss in two weeks, either.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-26-2012, 08:24 AM
At home, against the Raiders, is always a must-win situation.

Thank you.

Beantown Bronco
09-26-2012, 08:26 AM
Those are clearly the rule, rather than the exceptions.

If you're being sarcastic, you'd be wrong. Most SB winners DO NOT go undefeated in their division games.

fwf
09-26-2012, 08:29 AM
If you're being sarcastic, you'd be wrong. Most SB winners DO NOT go undefeated in their division games.

ugh. we got it dude. youre missing the point

DENVERDUI55
09-26-2012, 08:30 AM
This is a must win to be considered a decent to good team.

Tombstone RJ
09-26-2012, 08:32 AM
IMHO it's a statement game of sorts. It's a home game against a division opponent and a team that we "should" beat, especially at home. If the Broncos can get to 2-2 with 2 games remaining in this 6 game monster part of the schedule I think it bodes well for team.

Drunken.Broncoholic
09-26-2012, 08:36 AM
Normally I wouldn't say that this early, but with a ridiculous schedule all the division games are must win games. It's the way to get into the playoffs.

I understand the arguement about teams going to the SB when having a less than stellar division record. But those teams didn't play ridiculous schedules. They had some easy teams to chew on outside the division. We play teams that are better than teams in our division, which make these division games more important.

Beantown Bronco
09-26-2012, 08:37 AM
ugh. we got it dude. youre missing the point

Not missing anything. It's just a pet peeve of mine when people use the term "must win" in a non literal sense.

Look.....in the NFL, the players obviously should approach every game like a must-win game. They don't go into any game hoping to lose. That's just common sense. But the literal fact remains: not every game is truly a must win.

Sure if you want to appear to be a contender and want to be ranked high in the various power rankings that are published every Tuesday, then sure, it's a must win. And yes, it's a home division game against a major rival, so it has more juice than the average game. It means a lot. I'm not conceding that.

I'm just trying to express my frustration with the thought that if we lost on Sunday, the season would be over. That is what must win means. Of course, things will look bleak for a while if we lost on Sunday. But it wouldn't be the end of our season or somehow eliminate us from playoff contention.

All that matters is that we make the playoffs and peak at the right time (December....not September). The record really doesn't matter. You can play ugly in September and October. Just get there. That's the recipe that has won most of the Super Bowls in the last 10 years.

fwf
09-26-2012, 08:43 AM
All that matters is that we make the playoffs and peak at the right time (December....not September). .

This for sure!

Especially in this league right now. But if we're not good enough to beat the Raiders this week then that tells us a whole lot.. as fans. Thats my main point.

Drunken.Broncoholic
09-26-2012, 08:51 AM
All that matters is that we make the playoffs and peak at the right time (December....not September). The record really doesn't matter. You can play ugly in September and October. Just get there. That's the recipe that has won most of the Super Bowls in the last 10 years.

Signed, the 2011 Carolina panthers.

Played ugly in September kicked azz in November December. Failed to make the playoffs.

When there's only 16 games in a season they all are equally important. You can say the chiefs game at the end of the year was the reason they might not have gone to the playoffs. I could say it was ortons fumble game in September. When a division comes down to a tie breaker, which it has now for 2 years, these are the most important games.

Rohirrim
09-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Back in the 80s, when McCartney took over the Buffs, he would take a calendar and color in red the day after Thanksgiving, when the Buffs would play the Huskers. That was the target game for the season and the Buffs would get fired up for it. It used to be that way for the Broncos in this game too.

I still do that for the Raiders game at Mile High. I always consider that the bellwether game of the season, since the 70s. I think part of the reason Shanahan got the axe is because of the Broncos failure in those games. If you can't beat the Raiders at home, what else is there? ???

Beantown Bronco
09-26-2012, 08:54 AM

Played ugly in September kicked azz in November December. Failed to make the playoffs.

I think you need to read my post again.

pricejj
09-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Beat the Raiders.

Losing this game is not an option. The Broncos would be 1-3 (likely last place in the AFC West) heading into road games at New England and San Diego.

Crushaholic
09-26-2012, 09:02 AM
It's a "must win", for our confidence. We can lose this game, and still make the playoffs. However, losing breeds more losing. You get in that mentality, and it's hard to escape it...

NFLBRONCO
09-26-2012, 09:09 AM
A team that has struggled to win at home lately its a must win. A team with no identity trying to gel its a must win. A team of late has only played well part of the last two games its a must win. I'd like to see less 3 and outs this game from our offense.

I want to earn the division by earning it not by default again.

BroncoBeavis
09-26-2012, 09:11 AM

When there's only 16 games in a season they all are equally important. You can say the chiefs game at the end of the year was the reason they might not have gone to the playoffs. I could say it was ortons fumble game in September. When a division comes down to a tie breaker, which it has now for 2 years, these are the most important games.

To be fair, Carolina "kicking ass" towards the end meant 2 wins out of the last 4, or 4 wins out of their last 8.

If you follow a ****ty start with .500 ball, sure it's an improvement. But that's not really the kind of 'peaking' they're talking about.

And to the thread topic...It's the Fade. Must Win. :)

fwf
09-26-2012, 09:17 AM
A team that has struggled to win at home lately its a must win. A team with no identity trying to gel its a must win. A team of late has only played well part of the last two games its a must win. I'd like to see less 3 and outs this game from our offense.

yep. and A turnover or 3 would be nice. maybe a couple sacks for a change.

Drunken.Broncoholic
09-26-2012, 09:19 AM
To be fair, Carolina "kicking ass" towards the end meant 2 wins out of the last 4, or 4 wins out of their last 8.

If you follow a ****ty start with .500 ball, sure it's an improvement. But that's not really the kind of 'peaking' they're talking about.

It's the Fade. Must Win. :)

I was thinking 4 out of their last 6 were wins. That's kicking ass for a team who won 2 games the year before, and 2 games in all of September/October.

DenverBroncosJM
09-26-2012, 09:31 AM
It would be nice to win all of the home games you know like we used too

BroncoBeavis
09-26-2012, 09:34 AM
I was thinking 4 out of their last 6 were wins. That's kicking ass for a team who won 2 games the year before, and 2 games in all of September/October.

Hey, like I said. It was definitely a step up. But most playoff teams win at about that 4 for 6 pace all year. If you start out 2 for 8 in the first half, you've got to do better than 4 for 8 in the second half. Especially considering .500 ball by itself will land you at home in January 9 times out of 10.

Rabb
09-26-2012, 09:35 AM
I hate the term "must win" because it's sort of relative and sort of stupid. Every game is really a must win in the NFL, I doubt anyone would be happy with a game that "we can afford to lose".

spiralism
09-26-2012, 09:58 AM
It's the ****ing Raiders at home, its always must win. I don't care if we're 15-0 going into the last game of the year against them, losing to those dicks is unacceptable. Remember how 59-14 felt?