PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Ticket BS

DomCasual
09-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Okay, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

My late local game yesterday was Broncos-Texans. So, the 700s Sunday Ticket channel was blacked out. I always thought that was a pain in the butt, but whatever. I guess I get it.

So, the early game gets done before the Broncos game, and CBS switches to the Chiefs-Saints game. As you know, that game went into OT. Instead of switching it to the Broncos-Texans game as soon as it started, the local affiliate leaves it with Chiefs-Saints until it ends. So, I have a blacked-out 700s channel Sunday Ticket Broncos-Texans feed, and I have Chiefs-Saints on my local CBS affiliate for the entire 1st Quarter of Broncos-Texans.

This has happened before - but never for longer than half the 1st Quarter (still completely unacceptable, when you are forking out the ridiculous Sunday Ticket money).

I was as mad as I am capable of getting.

Then, Chiefs-Saints ends. Thank God! So, what does CBS do? They change it to Jets-Dolphins.

Words can't describe.

Jets-Dolphins finally ends, and what do these imbeciles do? They show FIVE MINUTES of commercials - including a promo for, wait for it, Broncos-Texans.

I wanted to kill.

So, my local CBS affiliate says they have no control over the situation. What's funny is in the past, they've told me that they just messed up, and didn't get it switched in time. Has anyone here had any luck with figuring this BS out?

Denver Bronco56
09-24-2012, 12:59 PM
I had this problem( the game not starting after the early games) but i was able to turn to direct TV and watch it

Garcia Bronco
09-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Because you were waiting for the national audience to switch over to the late game. Here in Denver...due to contractual obligations...it switches right over at the start of the Bronco game.

Tombstone RJ
09-24-2012, 01:10 PM
I had this problem( the game not starting after the early games) but i was able to turn to direct TV and watch it

You must be the magic guy b/c like the OP says, DTV NFL Sunday Ticket blacks out the channels that had the Texans/Broncos game because it's the national game showing on the CBS local affiliate. So what does the dumbass douchebags at CBS do? Well they show all the OT AFC games before switching over to the Texan/Broncos game.

yes, this happened in Wyoming too because the local CBS affilitiate is out of Salt Lake City, UT so the NFL Sunday Ticket won't allow the game to be shown so that people have to watch the local CBS feed.

I hate CBS, it's total crap. Total and utter crap. Especially when the game before the late game ends and then instead of going to the late game (Texans/Broncos) these assclowns cut to another OT game.

maher_tyler
09-24-2012, 01:11 PM
A few of us were in the same boat as you, myself included. I was pretty livid. I'm sure there were many more as well. The game should be shown on the Sunday Ticket channel until CBS makes the obvious switch to our game. If those games weren't originally in our viewing area, why would they switch to those games if the late game that is in our viewing area has started? It makes no sense!

DomCasual
09-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Because you were waiting for the national audience to switch over to the late game. Here in Denver...due to contractual obligations...it switches right over at the start of the Bronco game.

I understand this. But it's still utter BS. If you are going to keep the national audience on the early games, then you open up the 700s Sunday Ticket feed.

I'm angry enough that I want to bitch at someone. I'm just wondering who makes the ultimate call on this. It could be the NFL. It could be CBS national. It could be CBS local. It could be DirecTv.

The other thing that pisses me off is when there's a local news story that breaks into the game (which ALSO happened yesterday).

Honestly, I hate DirecTv, and I hate Sunday Ticket. That said, I can't quit them. It's like having a girlfriend that is making you an obvious cuckold. You know you're getting worked; but you realize that in your small town, there are no other available girls. So, you can be a cuckold, or you can be celibate.

LetsGoBroncos
09-24-2012, 01:13 PM
I think if the game is blacked out because you are getting it on the local channel but the local channel shows the end of other games like they did yesterday you will get it on the Sunday ticket channel until the local channel starts showing it

Pontius Pirate
09-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Don't have these problems with Red Zone.

I pretty much only watch Red Zone on Sunday's now. 6 hours of commercial free football, curated only to show you the important stuff. It's amazing.

Tombstone RJ
09-24-2012, 01:17 PM
I understand this. But it's still utter BS. If you are going to keep the national audience on the early games, then you open up the 700s Sunday Ticket feed.

I'm angry enough that I want to b**** at someone. I'm just wondering who makes the ultimate call on this. It could be the NFL. It could be CBS national. It could be CBS local. It could be DirecTv.

The other thing that pisses me off is when there's a local news story that breaks into the game (which ALSO happened yesterday).

Honestly, I hate DirecTv, and I hate Sunday Ticket. That said, I can't quit them. It's like having a girlfriend that is making you an obvious cuckold. You know you're getting worked; but you realize that in your small town, there are no other available girls. So, you can be a cuckold, or you can be celibate.

exactly, wtf are you paying DTV for if you can't watch the game you want to watch! DTV should absolutely let you view the late game that you want to view, especially if the early game goes into OT. Then once the local affiliate switches to the late game, end the DTV feed so people have to switch over to the local affiliate feed.

how hard is this.

Dom, you should chew out your DTV provider. Get on the phone and chew ass. You might even get some free service out of it.

TheReverend
09-24-2012, 01:18 PM
I was seeing-red angry over CBS showing the OT games instead of Broncos-Texas and missed almost the whole first quarter

Endy
09-24-2012, 01:18 PM
I had the same problem. However it did become "unblocked" on channel 715 during the first quarter and then became reblocked at halftime. I'm guessing they unblocked it because of the OT games. I was pretty pissed too. Actually started rooting for the Chiefs just so the game would be over.

Tombstone RJ
09-24-2012, 01:19 PM
I think if the game is blacked out because you are getting it on the local channel but the local channel shows the end of other games like they did yesterday you will get it on the Sunday ticket channel until the local channel starts showing it

Apparently not is Salt Lake UT, home of the Mormon morons. Yah, I blame the Mormons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fwf
09-24-2012, 01:22 PM
man, when they switched over to 2nd ot game and the refs blew that call that you knew was going to add another 10 mins I literally lost it. that was the maddest ive been in a while. the f'd up part is that- had the bronco game started at 4:05 like it does sometimes instead of 4:25 we might have missed the whole 1st half.

ant1999e
09-24-2012, 01:23 PM

I pretty much only watch Red Zone on Sunday's now. 6 hours of commercial free football, curated only to show you the important stuff. It's amazing.

Call me crazy but sometimes I like to watch a Broncos game...

maher_tyler
09-24-2012, 01:23 PM

Not how it works. It works exactly how the OP said it does...i had this exact issue yesturday.

Denver Bronco56
09-24-2012, 01:25 PM
You must be the magic guy b/c like the OP says, DTV NFL Sunday Ticket blacks out the channels that had the Texans/Broncos game because it's the national game showing on the CBS local affiliate. So what does the dumbass douchebags at CBS do? Well they show all the OT AFC games before switching over to the Texan/Broncos game.

yes, this happened in Wyoming too because the local CBS affilitiate is out of Salt Lake City, UT so the NFL Sunday Ticket won't allow the game to be shown so that people have to watch the local CBS feed.

I hate CBS, it's total crap. Total and utter crap. Especially when the game before the late game ends and then instead of going to the late game (Texans/Broncos) these assclowns cut to another OT game.

Yeah i was stuck on my local channel watching the OT of the other games, but I was able to watch the game on my PS3's Sunday Ticket app as well as my phones until my local channel switched.

Tombstone RJ
09-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Yeah i was stuck on my local channel watching the OT of the other games, but I was able to watch the game on my PS3's Sunday Ticket app as well as my phones until my local channel switched.

I'm just gonna watch all the Broncos games on my puter, screw Sunday Ticket. The Broncos always, always, always, always are the late game and for whatever reason the CBS early games always, always, always, always seem to go into over time. Not the late games, just the early games.

CBS sucks.

DomCasual
09-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Apparently not is Salt Lake UT, home of the Mormon morons. Yah, I blame the Mormons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can actually blame the Mormons for most stuff. Even I do it.

So, you get the SLC feed? When they broke for that story about the dumbass who had put bombs on his neighbor's porch, I was going to lose my mind. Fortunately, they didn't miss an actual play, for that one.

That said, that dumbass is pretty funny. If you haven't seen any of his YouTube diatribes, you should check him out. He's running for President. I might just vote for him!

Dr. Broncenstein
09-24-2012, 01:30 PM
My local CBS station had the cheifs early as well. Initially my Sunday ticket channel was blacked out for thirty seconds or so... long enough for me to start hulking out.. but then the blackout went away for the first half. I had to switch back to my local channel at halftime.

rodr88
09-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Not sure how it's supposed to work, but in Albuquerque I was able to switch to 715 and watch the game until halftime, then went to the local CBS station and all was good. I would think they would be doing this for everyone, but sounds like they weren't.

DomCasual
09-24-2012, 01:32 PM
My local CBS station had the cheifs early as well. Initially my Sunday ticket channel was blacked out for thirty seconds or so... long enough for me to start hulking out.. but then the blackout went away for the first half. I had to switch back to my local channel at halftime.

My Sunday Ticket channel never un-blacked (no racism intended). I checked every two minutes, or so. With each time "checking," I got a little more worked up. Honestly, by the time I finally could watch the game, I was ready to put my fist through a wall.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Not sure how it's supposed to work, but in Albuquerque I was able to switch to 715 and watch the game until halftime, then went to the local CBS station and all was good. I would think they would be doing this for everyone, but sounds like they weren't.

This is what happened for the Tulsa area.

Tombstone RJ
09-24-2012, 01:34 PM
You can actually blame the Mormons for most stuff. Even I do it.

So, you get the SLC feed? When they broke for that story about the dumbass who had put bombs on his neighbor's porch, I was going to lose my mind. Fortunately, they didn't miss an actual play, for that one.

That said, that dumbass is pretty funny. If you haven't seen any of his YouTube diatribes, you should check him out. He's running for President. I might just vote for him!

Yes, I'd love for the local ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox affiliate be out of Denver, but NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! It's out of SLC, UT.

ColoradoDarin
09-24-2012, 01:34 PM
This is the NFL TV rules, very annoying.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-24-2012, 01:37 PM
My Sunday Ticket channel never un-blacked (no racism intended). I checked every two minutes, or so. With each time "checking," I got a little more worked up. Honestly, by the time I finally could watch the game, I was ready to put my fist through a wall.

I think you could have roughed it on a mobile device, the gamemix channel, or the redzone. But I feel your pain. Seems like DTV is getting better about this but it should never ever happen.

Phantom
09-24-2012, 01:39 PM

This has been my experience in Omaha on Sunday and in the past. The 700 channel will be un-blocked until local coverage is switched. I was watching on 715 yesterday until local broadcasting switched over. Strange why this isn't the case for everyone. I would have been pissed.

ColoradoDarin
09-24-2012, 01:41 PM
I was pumped that it was on regular TV because the wife wanted to go out to dinner for our anniversary (it's technically today) and I could just record it and catch up after we got back. Oh well, back to hooking up the laptop to the medium screen TV next week.

DomCasual
09-24-2012, 01:42 PM
I think you could have roughed it on a mobile device, the gamemix channel, or the redzone. But I feel your pain. Seems like DTV is getting better about this but it should never ever happen.

What I ended up doing was watching it on Game Mix. That kept me from rupturing a vein. Unfortunately, I didn't think of it until about 6:00 left in the 1st Quarter.

But I have a projector, projecting a 120-inch picture. Watching it on the equivalent of a 15-inch screen is irritating. I realize this could be a thing for that "First World Problems" meme; but I make no apologies.

BroncoBeavis
09-24-2012, 01:43 PM
At first I was pretty pissed when they switched to Jets/Phins. I understood letting the scheduled game play to the end, but why preempt your regional game for just some other stupid game that went to overtime?

I almost boiled over with Mormonesque rage until I remembered that I'd been summarily declared a Jets fan here on the OM. That gave me an odd peace about the whole thing. :)

Dr. Broncenstein
09-24-2012, 01:43 PM
This has been my experience in Omaha on Sunday and in the past. The 700 channel will be un-blocked until local coverage is switched. I was watching on 715 yesterday until local broadcasting switched over. Strange why this isn't the case for everyone. I would have been pissed.

DTV used to be terrible about this. Even worse were the times that the locals weren't carried in HD. Blacked out superfan for low def locals made me homicidal.

DomCasual
09-24-2012, 01:45 PM
At first I was pretty pissed when they switched to Jets/Phins. I understood letting the scheduled game play to the end, but why preempt your regional game for just some other stupid game that went to overtime?

I almost boiled over with Mormonesque rage until I remembered that I'd been summarily declared a Jets fan here on the OM. That gave me an odd peace about the whole thing. :)

Mormonesque rage! Ha!

I'll show you a little Mormonesque rage!

DomCasual
09-24-2012, 01:45 PM
DTV used to be terrible about this. Even worse were the times that the locals weren't carried in HD. Blacked out superfan for low def locals made me homicidal.

Oh, I remember those days. Thank the good Lord they're all HD now.

MortonToMoses
09-24-2012, 01:48 PM
My understanding is that DTV is supposed to unblock the game until the local channel starts actually showing it. I was fortunate enough to have the Steelers vs. Raiders game as the local game yesterday, and I noticed that it was blocked the whole time.

55CrushEm
09-24-2012, 02:00 PM
A few of us were in the same boat as you, myself included. I was pretty livid. I'm sure there were many more as well. The game should be shown on the Sunday Ticket channel until CBS makes the obvious switch to our game. If those games weren't originally in our viewing area, why would they switch to those games if the late game that is in our viewing area has started? It makes no sense!

Mine was. I'm in the Boston market.....and I received the game on 715, until the Jets game was over.....THEN I switched over to the local channel.

Never missed a snap.

BroncoHI
09-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Not sure how all the rules work, I live in Hawaii and watched the Game from the Start on Directv 715, never was blacked out.

Funny thing was here the Late game televised was Bronco Houston Game.

I never checked to see if it was playing the OT games before switching to the Bronco Game.

broncocalijohn
09-24-2012, 02:04 PM

then please dont jump into threads where it takes more than "The red zone" to know what the **** we are talking about. Cliff notes for the die hard football fan...yeah right.

broncocalijohn
09-24-2012, 02:07 PM
BTW, anyone feel bad for the SoCal Chargers' fan who looked in their local newspaper and saw their game wasn't on regular tv so they came down to a sports bar, ordered beer and food and then learned that their game was blacked out because they cannot support their 2-0 team?

I laughed and didn't say a damn word as they sat there in their Rivers jersey just waiting for kickoff...that never came for them. LOL!

SonOfLe-loLang
09-24-2012, 02:24 PM
This has happened to me a few time sin the past, ive complained to DirectTV and got stuff out of them at least

Pontius Pirate
09-24-2012, 02:50 PM
then please dont jump into threads where it takes more than "The red zone" to know what the **** we are talking about. Cliff notes for the die hard football fan...yeah right.

Sensitive, your butthole is. Listen to the force, young butthurt jedi - switch to the Red Zone. Trust your instincts!

DeuceOfClub
09-24-2012, 03:00 PM
The most upsetting thing about the whole situation is while the early games are still on, CBS will not run commercials (waiting for national audience) which speeds the game considerably.

Nice of them to 'unblock' it though.

DENVERDUI55
09-24-2012, 03:31 PM
This has always been a problem with Direct TV. I can't count how many times I have missed first quarter of the broncos game. Just think yesterday was moved to 25 past the hour or you probably would of missed the first half.

WolfpackGuy
09-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Why don't they just let us buy games of the teams we want to watch over the innerwebz?

That's where everything's going anyway, so make it happen already.

maher_tyler
09-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Why don't they just let us buy games of the teams we want to watch over the innerwebz?

Or allowing me to have Denver local channels with DTV in Arizona.

Pontius Pirate
09-24-2012, 04:38 PM

My hunch is that this aint an option because the broadcasters (CBS, Fox) would oppose it and/or it would reduce negotiating power that the NFL has with them

broncosteven
09-24-2012, 05:00 PM
I had the same problem. However it did become "unblocked" on channel 715 during the first quarter and then became reblocked at halftime. I'm guessing they unblocked it because of the OT games. I was pretty pissed too. Actually started rooting for the Chiefs just so the game would be over.

Yep, I have seen them do this before, you have to scan the channels to find one with the game showing, it is stupid, we pay to watch every game and if we are not in the market we should get it at kick off.