PDA

View Full Version : We've lost to the NFL's best two teams; by a combined 12 points

canadianbroncosfan
09-24-2012, 09:37 AM
I know it's not the OrangeMane way but no need to push the panic button yet.

We knew we had a tough schedule, and personally I'll be happy going into our bye week at 3-3. The schedule gets a lot easier in our last 10 games we only play 3 teams that currently have a winning record. So let's all just sit back, relax, and look forward to beating the ****ing Raiders Sunday.

mwill07
09-24-2012, 09:46 AM
pro-football-reference.com has a metric called SRS (simple rating system) which combines strength of schedule and margin of victory. Per that metric, we are the #2 team in the AFC behind houston, and behind Atlanta, Seattle, and Arizona in the NFC.

Our SRS score is 17.5, whereas the closest AFCW team is SD @ 2.1.

canadianbroncosfan
09-24-2012, 09:50 AM
pro-football-reference.com has a metric called SRS (simple rating system) which combines strength of schedule and margin of victory. Per that metric, we are the #2 team in the AFC behind houston, and behind Atlanta, Seattle, and Arizona in the NFC.

Our SRS score is 17.5, whereas the closest AFCW team is SD @ 2.1.

That's awesome actually, so I'm not biased ha-ha

It doesn't mean wins but it also doesn't mean to panic

Rabb
09-24-2012, 09:53 AM
agreed, it's not time to panic at all

mwill07
09-24-2012, 09:57 AM
That's awesome actually, so I'm not biased ha-ha

It doesn't mean wins but it also doesn't mean to panic

yeah - I forgot to mention - per SRS, Atlanta and Houston are 1 and 2 - a case can be made that these are the two best teams in the league right now, purely looking at the numbers.

TheReverend
09-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Too many unknowns for the time being.

Is Houston really that good...? They very well could be a product of ****ty competition. The other teams they've beaten were Miami (Tannehill's first ever game, no less) and Jacksonville, and quite frankly, they were handling Denver even more dramatically IN DENVER through 3 quarters.

edog24
09-24-2012, 09:58 AM
You guys know the only reason we were close the last two weeks was because of garbage time right?

DenverBroncosJM
09-24-2012, 10:20 AM
This week is the real test as dumb as that sounds, division rival at home and we "should" be the better team. If we do not curb stomp them we have a problem.

bronco militia
09-24-2012, 10:22 AM
there are no moral victories in the NFL.

bombquixote
09-24-2012, 10:23 AM
We all knew the first part of schedule was going to be murderer's row. We've been competitive in all three games. Manning's still knocking off rust, and the offense has yet to gel. The D is built to play with a lead, so if we can start scoring earlier and put the D in a better position, things will get better.

What concerns me more than anything about yesterday's loss was the conservative approach on offense. Manning's strength, and the reason we bought him, is his ability to read the D and improvise a play at the LOS...particularly in the no huddle. If Fox can grow the nuts to let manning loose, we'll be fine.

I'll only start worrying if we lose to the Raiders at home next week.

ludo21
09-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Agree with bombquixote. A loss to the Raiders and Ill start worrying about the team moving forward.

They just need to loosen up in the 1st half offensively, let if fly, and obviously catch the ball with some consistency to make some drives more sustained.

eddie mac
09-24-2012, 10:57 AM
You guys know the only reason we were close the last two weeks was because of garbage time right?

Garbage time is whenver a team has no hope of coming back. Denver technically could've won both games in the 4th quarter but missed opportunities that is certainly not garbage time.

maher_tyler
09-24-2012, 11:00 AM
We all knew the first part of schedule was going to be murderer's row. We've been competitive in all three games. Manning's still knocking off rust, and the offense has yet to gel. The D is built to play with a lead, so if we can start scoring earlier and put the D in a better position, things will get better.

What concerns me more than anything about yesterday's loss was the conservative approach on offense. Manning's strength, and the reason we bought him, is his ability to read the D and improvise a play at the LOS...particularly in the no huddle. If Fox can grow the nuts to let manning loose, we'll be fine.

I'll only start worrying if we lose to the Raiders at home next week.

Pretty much my thoughts. If we lose to the Raiders i'll be much more worried.

razorwire77
09-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Not a cause for panic yet, but playing one quarter of quality football and three quarters of mistake filled football with this schedule = 6-10.

You certainly see hints of potential, but there are also some disturbing patterns that are reemerging. I know early in the season blah blah blah, no game more important than the next blah, blah, blah; but this is an absolutely critical game for this team and the direction of the season. Getting beat by Oakland at home with this schedule would be devastating.

DENVERDUI55
09-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Who knows where we are at. Oakland at home is must win. All the formulas and ratings really mean nothing in NFL since the gap between top and bottom teams in NFL is so small. I would be happy winning 2 of next 3 to be 3 and 3 at bye. Going to be a tough road though.

NFLBRONCO
09-24-2012, 11:09 AM
It also shows Denver STILL can't make that play when they need too its been our problem forever. Denver should be 3-0 honrstly but, sloppy play dropped balls not enough clutch stops we aren't.

Bacchus
09-24-2012, 11:09 AM
there are no moral victories in the NFL.

no moral victories but no need in hitting the panic button. Denver is 1-2 right now and if they are as good as we beleive they will be 2-2 after next Sunday.

dictionary
09-24-2012, 11:22 AM
no moral victories but no need in hitting the panic button. Denver is 1-2 right now and if they are as good as we beleive they will be 2-2 after next Sunday.

I agree. I am not panicking although I was rather frustrated last night. We lost to two really good teams in a competitive manner. We were getting blown out by those types of teams last year. I suspect we will beat Oakland. I expect that we will get out to an early start/lead, and we will witness, for the first time, a complete game from our team.

DenverBroncosJM
09-24-2012, 11:34 AM
It also shows Denver STILL can't make that play when they need too its been our problem forever. Denver should be 3-0 honrstly but, sloppy play dropped balls not enough clutch stops we aren't.

I'm not so sure I agree with this. Denver has outscored opponents like 44 to 6 in the 4 th quarter. They are making the plays they need to they are missing one more each game to win it.

bronco militia
09-24-2012, 11:34 AM
no moral victories but no need in hitting the panic button. Denver is 1-2 right now and if they are as good as we believe they will be 2-2 after next Sunday.

no panic...I'm prepared to watch the opposing teams rape our safeties and LB's for the next 13 weeks.

maybe broncos fans should thinkg about registering as sex offenders :cuss:

Beantown Bronco
09-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Garbage time is whenver a team has no hope of coming back. Denver technically could've won both games in the 4th quarter but missed opportunities that is certainly not garbage time.

Interesting. Whenever this argument was made during the Orton years, it fell on deaf ears or was met by laughter.

Heyneck
09-24-2012, 11:42 AM
I know it's not the OrangeMane way but no need to push the panic button yet.

We knew we had a tough schedule, and personally I'll be happy going into our bye week at 3-3. The schedule gets a lot easier in our last 10 games we only play 3 teams that currently have a winning record. So let's all just sit back, relax, and look forward to beating the ****ing Raiders Sunday.

Yeah... we managed to close the gap on garbage time again.... woop de doo!!

Garcia Bronco
09-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Re the op title:
In games we were never in after the first quarter.

2KBack
09-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Re the op title:
In games we were never in after the first quarter.

10 points at the half isn't in the game? I didn't realize 10 points was such an insurmountable lead

canadianbroncosfan
09-24-2012, 03:49 PM
10 points at the half isn't in the game? I didn't realize 10 points was such an insurmountable lead

No ****, I guess if you're down 10 at the half might as well put one in the "L" column.

Apparently I missed when these scab refs started calling games at the half. They're much worse than I thought.

canadianbroncosfan
09-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Yeah... we managed to close the gap on garbage time again.... woop de doo!!

So in both the Atlanta and Houston game, if we stop them on 3rd down with over two minutes to go and get a chance to run our two minute offence to win the game it's garbage time?

Sorry garbage time is when other teams put their back ups in because a loss is impossible. Not by less than a score. Houston wanted the completion to Houston on 3rd down more than the Broncos did, because they knew we were still in it.