PDA

View Full Version : NFL Goal Posts

Vine
09-23-2012, 10:01 PM
If you watched the end of the NE/BAL game you'll know what I am talking about. Why don't the uprights of NFL goal posts go up at least another 30 or 50 feet so there is absolutely no disputing if a field goal is good or not. A goal post should be high enough so that field goals cannot possibly be kicked over the top of the uprights.

If they don't want to make the goal posts higher, they should suspend a camera hanging from a cable thats stretched across the top of the stadium in such a way so that you can get an overhead shot looking straight down at the top of the upright. That would give a conclusive view if field goals are good or not.

Why should we have to trust these refs?

Having said that, I am glad to see the Patriots lose. I don't like them.

Kid A
09-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Lasers. Shooting straight up from on the top of the poles. Extending up into forever. And then, after touchdowns, they could start spinning and shooting out all over in 20 different colors as Pink Floyd plays over the PA. Make it happen, Goodell.

theAPAOps5
09-23-2012, 10:05 PM
I am assuming the physics of building them higher would require beefed up bases and additional structure. Given that disputes like tonight do not happen often enough it probably is overkill.

That said, the league needs to focus on getting rid of these abysmal replacement refs rather than fixing the upright issue. Refs are pathetic.

Vine
09-23-2012, 10:09 PM
I am assuming the physics of building them higher would require beefed up bases and additional structure. Given that disputes like tonight do not happen often enough it probably is overkill.

That said, the league needs to focus on getting rid of these abysmal replacement refs rather than fixing the upright issue. Refs are pathetic.

I wondered about the physics, but I disagree about how often you see FG's kicked over the top of uprights. It seems like I have seen several such FG's attempted every year.

houghtam
09-23-2012, 10:10 PM

Yeah.

I'm really amazed at how much talk (not just on this site) is about "X or Y rule should be changed." The current NFL refs can barely get the current rules straight, let's not put the horse before the cart.

FIRST get refs who know their ass from a hole in the ground. THEN evaluate the legitimacy of current NFL rules.

Hell, maybe if they made the refs full time positions they'd have an opinion on what can be done with the current rules instead of just letting the competition committee try and deal with them.

Vine
09-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Lasers. Shooting straight up from on the top of the poles. Extending up into forever. And then, after touchdowns, they could start spinning and shooting out all over in 20 different colors as Pink Floyd plays over the PA. Make it happen, Goodell.

This could be a solution. Activate the lasers on FG attempts. Deactivate them during all other parts of games so not to be unnecessary distractions.

theAPAOps5
09-23-2012, 10:15 PM

Well that isn't a bad idea, the laser part. Screw pink floyd though, it should be the Doors!

The problem with lasers is you need an end reference to help tell a system that a ball broke the plane. Think garage door sensors that stop a door from closing if something breaks the beam on the bottom. You could do it in closed roof stadiums but ones like Mile High there is no roof to place an end sensor.

I am sure there is technology out there that could be used though. Maybe a GPS based system. The ones in our phones or car navigation aren't accurate enough as they can have an error of several feet. But they could use a GPS like land surveyors use where it ties to a base unit that sets a ground reference and triangulates the location and gives a much more accurate location, within centimeters. Or maybe use WAAS or LAAS technology.

Okay, I have thought about this way too much now!

Chris
09-23-2012, 10:17 PM
The problem with lasers is you need an end reference to help tell a system that a ball broke the plane.

Here's your end reference

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/lunar_orbiter/images/moon.jpg

theAPAOps5
09-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Dude, genius. Just send Superman up with receiver and have him use his laser eye power to calibrate.

Great use of "out of the box thinking"!

:)

El Guapo
09-24-2012, 01:02 AM
It goes back to the old idea of wiring up the ball/stadium. Kind of takes the fun out of it (imho) if it gets too precise.

menonite
09-24-2012, 01:14 AM

Good luck with that. Goodell would probably hire "Fink Ployd," a high school cover band. Sure they don't know all of the songs or even how to play all of their instruments - but Roger Waters hit a wrong note just last year. So they're exactly as good.

ZONA
09-24-2012, 01:38 AM
It's completely stupid they can't make them longer. With the materials of today, they could easily be longer and not add any additional weight and still be just as strong.

menonite
09-24-2012, 01:41 AM
Call me crazy but can't cameras pretty much pinpoint whether it's good or not? It isn't like they're analyzing the Zapruder film or a Bigfoot video or something.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-24-2012, 02:23 AM
I'm for whatever makes Belichick loose his shiat. Lower them if necessary.

Broncomutt
09-24-2012, 04:15 AM
Don't think the FAA would be happy about the laser idea.

Garcia Bronco
09-24-2012, 07:29 AM

lol...Nice!

Bronco Boy
09-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Aren't all scoring plays supposed to be reviewed anyway?

BroncoMan4ever
09-24-2012, 09:27 AM

Laser Floyd and football, faces would melt.

BABronco
09-24-2012, 09:31 AM

Love this idea. But as previous poster pointed out it does have flaws. I think that could be easily fixed with a cable extended way above the crossbar with laser attached.

I'd also like to have smart fields. Lasers rigged all up and down the field with a chip in the ball. If there is any question whatsoever as to where the ball is down the system already knows. No more reason to measure for a first down because the system would already know. Do you want to know if the ball crossed into the endzone? Consult the system. Just take that much more ref influence out of the game.

canadianbroncosfan
09-24-2012, 09:41 AM
In tennis, by use of cameras, they can determine to the millimeter where the ball landed on challenges, the same technology isn't available to the NFL?

Kaylore
09-24-2012, 09:44 AM

This.

Pick Six
09-24-2012, 09:54 AM
A friggin' "laser"...;D

Rother8
09-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Love this idea. But as previous poster pointed out it does have flaws. I think that could be easily fixed with a cable extended way above the crossbar with laser attached.

I'd also like to have smart fields. Lasers rigged all up and down the field with a chip in the ball. If there is any question whatsoever as to where the ball is down the system already knows. No more reason to measure for a first down because the system would already know. Do you want to know if the ball crossed into the endzone? Consult the system. Just take that much more ref influence out of the game.

Put something in the whistles so that when the play is dead the ball knows it. Otherwise players doing spikes and shi* with the ball after the play would get annoying.

DaFace
09-24-2012, 10:22 AM
It's only a controversial call for those who don't matter (everyone but the refs). It's pretty clear whether the ball's in or not when you're standing directly under the goal post.

Tombstone RJ
09-24-2012, 10:36 AM
If you watched the end of the NE/BAL game you'll know what I am talking about. Why don't the uprights of NFL goal posts go up at least another 30 or 50 feet so there is absolutely no disputing if a field goal is good or not. A goal post should be high enough so that field goals cannot possibly be kicked over the top of the uprights.

If they don't want to make the goal posts higher, they should suspend a camera hanging from a cable thats stretched across the top of the stadium in such a way so that you can get an overhead shot looking straight down at the top of the upright. That would give a conclusive view if field goals are good or not.

Why should we have to trust these refs?

Having said that, I am glad to see the Patriots lose. I don't like them.

Actually, theres an easy solution. Put a sensor like a laser on the goal posts. This laser points directly up toward the sky, one laser on each post. You only turn the laser on when there's a kick. If the Ball goes above one of the tops of the posts the laser is triggered. If more than 50% of the ball is on the inside of the laser the kick is good. If more than 50% of the ball is on the outside of the laser, the kick is not good.

BroncoBeavis
09-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Don't think the FAA would be happy about the laser idea.

I think occupied major stadiums are pretty much no fly zones anyway, aren't they.

Bring on the frickin laser beams.

gyldenlove
09-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Put a camera in the goalpost with a red-dot sight type lens that indicates the inside edge of the goal post - if any part of the ball passes over the dot the kick is no good.

You can't put lasers up as it could interfere with airline traffic in some places, and extending the goal posts could cause problems in places with high winds.

I remember this exact same debate came up last year and the year before because of similar situations.

broncosteven
09-24-2012, 11:38 AM
If this was such a big deal Cleveland would have petitioned the NFL for some sort of change back after the Drive. We won that game on the same type of FG.

broncocalijohn
09-24-2012, 11:40 AM

Easy enough. I thought of something like this but just with a piece like an antenna on a boat or building. Skinny, tall and balanced (it is isnt windy). Lasers don't move unless the goalposts do so should be done!

Chris
09-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Dude, genius. Just send Superman up with receiver and have him use his laser eye power to calibrate.

Great use of "out of the box thinking"!

:)

Let's take it a step further. The solution to the concussion crisis is to play on the moon.

TheChamp247
09-24-2012, 12:27 PM

^this...this needs to happen

TheChamp247
09-24-2012, 12:32 PM
The main problem i see with the lasers being triggered by the ball going over is (and especially in Denver) the whole 'bird' issue. lol just release all the damn pigeons over the Denver goal post and watch the scoreboard tick up

Chris
09-24-2012, 12:40 PM
The main problem i see with the lasers being triggered by the ball going over is (and especially in Denver) the whole 'bird' issue. lol just release all the damn pigeons over the Denver goal post and watch the scoreboard tick up

Put Randy Johnson on guard below the posts. Problem solved.

BroncoBeavis
09-24-2012, 01:22 PM

I say they line up some of those 100,000 watt experimental military lasers on the outside of the goalposts. If the ball (or pigeon) goes on the outside of the post, it ceases to exist.

Rock Chalk
09-24-2012, 01:23 PM
The problem with lasers is you need an end reference to help tell a system that a ball broke the plane.

Um, no you dont.

El Guapo
09-24-2012, 02:30 PM

It goes back to the old idea of wiring up the ball/stadium. Kind of takes the fun out of it (imho) if it gets too precise.

Broncomutt
09-24-2012, 03:34 PM
I think occupied major stadiums are pretty much no fly zones anyway, aren't they.

Bring on the frickin laser beams.

I don't know for sure of course, but since most airlines fly in predefined corridors, I doubt the FAA changes those corridors every Saturday and Sunday in the Fall. And when planes divert due to weather, pretty sure the pilots don't pull out a football schedule to see where they can and can't fly.

Having said that, the real danger is during take off and landing when these could blind or distract the pilot at critical moments, so for stadiums not near a runway it probably wouldn't matter.

I fly alot, don't want any laser beams shootin' down my plane.

houghtam
09-24-2012, 03:37 PM
"Just give 'em the damn laser beans!"

Houshyamama
09-24-2012, 03:55 PM
We just need to hire 4 more replacement refs per game. Put 1 of them on each goalpost. Sharpen the tip and drop the ref on top so he is impaled. Then just have them look straight up the whole game. We could just leave them up there during the week.

crush17
09-24-2012, 04:04 PM

This is obviously the only answer worth reading.
Thread stopped for me after this.

extralife
09-24-2012, 04:06 PM
I cant' believe we have a serious thread on whether or not to put lasers on the ****ing goalposts. are you guys twelve years old or what

BroncoBeavis
09-24-2012, 04:15 PM
I don't know for sure of course, but since most airlines fly in predefined corridors, I doubt the FAA changes those corridors every Saturday and Sunday in the Fall. And when planes divert due to weather, pretty sure the pilots don't pull out a football schedule to see where they can and can't fly.

Having said that, the real danger is during take off and landing when these could blind or distract the pilot at critical moments, so for stadiums not near a runway it probably wouldn't matter.

I fly alot, don't want any laser beams shootin' down my plane.

I'm guessing major stadium corridors are avoided most of the time, whether there's a game or not, just as a matter of practice.

But I know flight over a major stadium airspace during a game is heavily restricted.

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/tsnm/general_aviation/programs_aw.shtm#major2

If someone wants to apply for a waiver to fly over our frickin' laser equipped stadium, they'll just have to deal with the consequences. :)

TheChamp247
09-24-2012, 04:16 PM
I cant' believe we have a serious thread on whether or not to put lasers on the ****ing goalposts. are you guys twelve years old or what

this is the best thing on the internet right now. would you rather us go back to the tebow or even plummer days where after a loss this place was like a prison lunch room after someone rips the ass out of their jeans?

menonite
09-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Not only would this allow us to erase the uncertainty surrounding field goals it would also enable us to eliminate the pigeon problem, provide free lasik surgery to myopic scab ref's and possible destroy Alderaan should the need arise. And it will. You know it will.

BroncoBeavis
09-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Not only would this allow us to erase the uncertainty surrounding field goals it would also enable us to eliminate the pigeon problem, provide free lasik surgery to myopic scab ref's and possible destroy Alderaan should the need arise. And it will. You know it will.

There's no way this

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/using-lasers-to-zap-mosquitoes/

Can't be adapted to handle foul field goals, stray pigeons and the occasional raider fan.