PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mays roughing the passer

Vine
09-23-2012, 06:34 PM
This is the 2nd of those roughing plays in a row, when Schaub's helmet flew off his head.

I didn't think that was roughing the passer. Mays ran into Schaub just after Schaub got rid of the ball, the hit was not late, and Schaub's helmet hit Mays in the chest, yet the dumbass announcer said it was helmet to helmet. It was not! Was it a violent hit? Yes, but it was not dirty.

WolfpackGuy
09-23-2012, 06:35 PM
BS call by the refs and announcers.

It was helmet to upper chest, not helmet to helmet.

oubronco
09-23-2012, 06:36 PM
It was a bad call for sure but it was expected

houghtam
09-23-2012, 06:37 PM
He put the crown of his helmet right into Schaub's chest. It would have been flagged in any league, not just the NFL.

Vine
09-23-2012, 06:39 PM
He put the crown of his helmet right into Schaub's chest. It would have been flagged in any league, not just the NFL.

I'll see if I can watch that play again, somehow, but I don't recall any part of Mays helmet hitting Schaub. How could it, when Mays was running fully upright at him, thus causing Schaub's helmet to contact Mays' chest?

orinjkrush
09-23-2012, 06:43 PM
was it payback for the nasty hit on manning?

razorwire77
09-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Lol. Mays tried to decapitate him. That would have been flagged in the XFL.

oubronco
09-23-2012, 06:45 PM
If you just seen the hit by Reed on Gonzales then Mays hit was absolutely legal

bronco militia
09-23-2012, 06:54 PM
WTF?....this was an easy call and mays will be getting fined.

AmericanBroncFan
09-23-2012, 06:58 PM
The only problem with that hit is schaub got up. Mays needs to grow a pair and end QB's seasons

houghtam
09-23-2012, 06:58 PM

Excuse me. It wasn't crown of helmet to chest, it was crown of helmet to shoulder.

Replay is up on nfl.com if anyone cares to dispute it, but it's pretty obvious that Mays was looking at the ground and not Schaub when he made that hit.

Agamemnon
09-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Not a penalty? Lay off the crack Vine. Hilarious!

WolfpackGuy
09-23-2012, 06:59 PM
What was unreal about the play was how the pass was almost completed to Johnson in the end zone.

Bailey's heel broke it up.

Rock Chalk
09-23-2012, 07:00 PM

This.

God damn you homers are amazing. This was way worse than what Von Miller did on the previous play. Whether you like the rules or not, thats going to get called.Every.Single.Time.

AmericanBroncFan
09-23-2012, 07:01 PM
What was unreal about the play was how the pass was almost completed to Johnson in the end zone.

Bailey's heel broke it up.

Bailey got owned by Johnson today

houghtam
09-23-2012, 07:02 PM
This.

God damn you homers are amazing. This was way worse than what Von Miller did on the previous play. Whether you like the rules or not, thats going to get called.Every.Single.Time.

Where is AmurricanBroncoFan to tell us all how much of a pussy the game is now and how quarterbacks wear skirts and how he wants half our team to get injured?

bronco militia
This.

yeah seriously...I don't like it, but it's been 7 years since we've been through all this with john lynch. they are going to call this every single time weather we like it or not.

Agamemnon

LOL, no he didn't. Johnson mostly disappeared once Champ was assigned to follow him at all times.

razorwire77
09-23-2012, 07:05 PM
This.

It's laughable. Maybe you get away with that in 1983. My guess is he gets a big ass fine too.

AmericanBroncFan
09-23-2012, 07:06 PM
LOL, no he didn't. Johnson mostly disappeared once Champ was assigned to follow him at all times.

When it mattered Chump was a puss

AmericanBroncFan
09-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Where is AmurricanBroncoFan to tell us all how much of a p***Y the game is now and how quarterbacks wear skirts and how he wants half our team to get injured?

Mays F ed up by not ending schaubs season that play

houghtam
09-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Johnson had two receptions. You are a tool.

bombay
09-23-2012, 07:09 PM
It looked like a dirty hit to me, and I don't want to see any player injured.

Agamemnon
09-23-2012, 07:09 PM
When it mattered Chump was a puss

No corner in the history of football could have stopped that final play. Grow a brain.

NUB
09-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Champ blanketed Johnson. Even on the Mays' hit play Johnson tried to stutter step and Bailey was with him the entire way, perfect coverage (almost beaten by a perfect pass). The only time Johnson got him was at the end with the short out, a pretty difficult route to defend. Pretty sure if you want to talk about defensive backs getting owned the safeties should be on your list, not Bailey.

AmericanBroncFan
09-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Champ blanketed Johnson. Even on the Mays' hit play Johnson tried to stutter step and Bailey was with him the entire way, perfect coverage (almost beaten by a perfect pass). The only time Johnson got him was at the end with the short out, a pretty difficult route to defend. Pretty sure if you want to talk about defensive backs getting owned the safeties should be on your list, not Bailey.

If Chump ever decides to look for the football ever again he would have a few INT's but he doesn't care to. He's got his money and homer fans that think he's elite

spdirty
09-23-2012, 07:19 PM
If Chump ever decides to look for the football ever again he would have a few INT's but he doesn't care to. He's got his money and homer fans that think he's elite

I guess opposing quarterbacks are Champ homers too. Thats why they hardly ever throw his way. ****in idiot.

houghtam
09-23-2012, 07:23 PM
I guess opposing quarterbacks are Champ homers too. Thats why they hardly ever throw his way. ****in idiot.

This guy's made his support of the team well-known by wishing injury on its own players. I always thought wishing injury on people on the team was a bannable offense, but...here we are!

:welcome:

AmericanBroncFan
09-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Chump is just one the many Shanny entitled women left on this team surrounded by mcd BUSTS. BTW Michigan st girl, I'm not the only one who wanted moreno ended

spdirty
09-23-2012, 07:34 PM
This guy's made his support of the team well-known by wishing injury on its own players. I always thought wishing injury on people on the team was a bannable offense, but...here we are!

:welcome:

Yeah but if its Moreno, that doesn't count. Ban this clown anyway for being Bobs little sister.

DenverBroncosJM
09-23-2012, 07:49 PM
How did Schaub not have to take the concussion review/test?

edog24
09-23-2012, 07:57 PM
It was a great hit. In today's nfl it will get called and he will get fined for sure. The refs would have been negligent to not call that, but it was still sweet.

rbackfactory80
09-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Dirty or not it helped us get back in the game.

nyuk nyuk
09-23-2012, 07:59 PM
They're reporting that Schaub lost a chunk of ear.

Rock Chalk
09-23-2012, 09:22 PM

Someone ban this ****ing sock.

Jason in LA
09-23-2012, 09:28 PM
I don't think these rules are very clear. Looking at the replays, and I couldn't tell for sure, but it did not look like there was any helmet to helmet contact. But it was a vicious hit. A hit so hard and nasty that it looked like a roughing penalty. So what is the rule? You can't hit the QB is hard that his helmet pops off?

Now if the helmets did make contact, then it is a penalty. But I couldn't tell if the helmets did meet.

broncocalijohn
09-23-2012, 09:41 PM

So who else gave him one of those rare neg reps?

Could this be the infamous Usedupbraids?

nyuk nyuk
09-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Miller likes to take late hits at QBs. He did the same with Sanchez last year. Pretty flagrant and it's not helping.

Tim
09-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Miller likes to take late hits at QBs. He did the same with Sanchez last year. Pretty flagrant and it's not helping.

They really don't bother me

errand
09-23-2012, 10:30 PM

johnson was limited today, but he had two of the biggest plays...60 yard TD, and crucial 1st down conversion to enable Texans to kill about 2 minutes of clock....hard to stop a guy like him from making plays...he's a great player too.

AmericanBroncofan is just a douche.....

Boltjolt
09-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Mays F ed up by not ending schaubs season that play

Only somebody who has never played a sport in his life, sitting on his couch slugging beer and smoking cigs would wish an injury to another player.

Man what kind of fan are you? A stupid one from where i sit. And yes, that was an obvious penalty that will get called everytime.

Sorry guys but thats just ridiculous.

nyuk nyuk
09-23-2012, 11:36 PM
They really don't bother me

I can understand why he's doing it, but when we're already bleeding yards, does he need to add to it?

nyuk nyuk
09-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Only somebody who has never played a sport in his life, sitting on his couch slugging beer and smoking cigs would wish an injury to another player.

Man what kind of fan are you? A stupid one from where i sit. And yes, that was an obvious penalty that will get called everytime.

I actually posted an apology to Schaub's twitter page and the Texans' Facebook. Mays is a ****head.

TonyR
09-24-2012, 06:54 AM
I don't think these rules are very clear. Looking at the replays, and I couldn't tell for sure, but it did not look like there was any helmet to helmet contact. But it was a vicious hit. A hit so hard and nasty that it looked like a roughing penalty. So what is the rule? You can't hit the QB is hard that his helmet pops off?

Now if the helmets did make contact, then it is a penalty. But I couldn't tell if the helmets did meet.

^ This is where I'm at. Those making definitive statements one way or the other must be seeing more than I'm seeing. Other than Schaub getting hit really hard and his helmet flying off I can't really make out exactly what happened. Could have been a perfectly legal hit, and then again maybe not.

2KBack
09-24-2012, 07:06 AM

That guy is one of the worst posters we currently have, don't judge the rest of us by his drivel.

teknic
09-24-2012, 08:00 AM
^ This is where I'm at. Those making definitive statements one way or the other must be seeing more than I'm seeing. Other than Schaub getting hit really hard and his helmet flying off I can't really make out exactly what happened. Could have been a perfectly legal hit, and then again maybe not.

In the live view, I didn't think there was any helmet contact at all. Shouldn't have been a flag. Injuries draw flags every time though, and the little b**** Schaub pointed to his head to draw the flag immediately. Maybe he should wear his helmet properly and it wouldn't fly off when he gets hit.

Regardless, it was an unnecessary risk for Mays to take. We were just flagged for 15, why risk getting flagged again?

Jason in LA
09-24-2012, 08:20 AM

I'd like to see a replay in slow motion. I'm surprised that it was never shown in slow motion, seeing that they show everything in slow motion. I want to see if Mays' helmet made contact with Schaub's facemask, which could cause the helmet to pop off, and by rule, would be a penalty. But if it was just helmet to chest, what's the penalty? There is no rule, and there should not be one, that you can't legally hit a QB so hard that his helmet pops off.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that a part of this penalty is because Mays led with the crown of his helmet. I'd say that is a horrible tackling technique, because it can really injury the tackler. But is there a rule that a tackler cannot lead with the crown of his helmet? If there was a rule on that, then there should be way more flags per game.

The hit on Schaub looked so vicious that most people would think that it should be flagged, but from the replays that I saw it did not look like a rule was broken. The NFL can't legislate hard hitting out of the game.

Jason in LA
09-24-2012, 08:23 AM
In the live view, I didn't think there was any helmet contact at all. Shouldn't have been a flag. Injuries draw flags every time though, and the little b**** Schaub pointed to his head to draw the flag immediately. Maybe he should wear his helmet properly and it wouldn't fly off when he gets hit.

Regardless, it was an unnecessary risk for Mays to take. We were just flagged for 15, why risk getting flagged again?

The perception at live speed of that hit looked way worse than the reality of it. Looked like a knee jerk reaction to flag it.

As for an unnecessary risk, looked like Mays hit him a split second after the ball was thrown. I didn't think it was a late hit at all. If Mays isn't making that hit, then he isn't trying to get after the quarterback. It's just the nature of the game.

Stan
09-24-2012, 08:31 AM
From the replays that I have I don't see that it was an obvious flagrant foul. It looked more like a really HARD hit. Even one of the announcers after watching replays said that he wasn't sure that Mays didn't hit him with his pads but it was so hard that it knocked his helmet off. Watching live it looked bad and an obvious penalty but watching replays not so much. Even Mays is saying that he expects a fine coming but that Schaub ducked a bit at the last second so that he hit his facemask which caused it to come off. I don't see this was a stupid play on Mays' part. It wasn't as bad as Miller's the play before, he could easily have stopped short of taking him to the ground, it just looked worse because how hard he hit him.

TheReverend
09-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Johnson had two receptions. You are a tool.

This. And only one was on Champ.

bronco militia
09-24-2012, 08:38 AM
you guys are ****ing morons if you think the refs blew this call.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GCYTPluR1hI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GCYTPluR1hI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Eldorado
09-24-2012, 09:34 AM

OMFG!

http://www.myteespot.com/images/Images_d/img_grjEDD.jpg

Tombstone RJ
09-24-2012, 09:52 AM
you guys are ****ing morons if you think the refs blew this call.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GCYTPluR1hI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GCYTPluR1hI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

how come all these camera angles are ground level angles? There's not one angle from a camera above the action, that is, a regular tv view of the hit. Every single time they show this hit it's from ground level

why?

houghtam
09-24-2012, 10:22 AM
I spent about ten minutes screwing around with Paint trying to get a video cap, but either the file was too big to copy, or it would have been too blurry after cutting the image down enough to make anything out.

However, if you slow down the video, just as Mays makes the hit, you see his head dip down, and from behind him you can only see the back of his helmet, and the numbers and padding toward the bottom are the only thing visible.

He's face down.

He hit Schaub with the crown of his helmet, and deserves everything he gets as a result, including the fine and penalty.

Tombstone RJ
09-24-2012, 10:25 AM
I'd like to see an angle from above because yes, it was a bad hit by Mays but he got there right at the same time as Unrein. There's a definite sandwich effect to the hit with Unrein going low and Mays hitting up top.

but why no camera angle from above? Why? Why? Why?

DaFace
09-24-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm convinced that a majority of football fans have no clue what's legal and what's not anymore. Every time I see one of these conversations, everyone gets hung up on whether it's "helmet to helmet." That hasn't mattered for at least the past five years. You can't lead with your helmet anymore regardless of where you hit a QB or WR, period.

In this case, the only question to me is how severe the punishment will be. Mays is in for a hefty fine at a minimum, and I'd say there's a small chance it was bad enough that he could even be suspended.

houghtam
09-24-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm convinced that a majority of football fans have no clue what's legal and what's not anymore. Every time I see one of these conversations, everyone gets hung up on whether it's "helmet to helmet." That hasn't mattered for at least the past five years. You can't lead with your helmet anymore regardless of where you hit a QB or WR, period.

In this case, the only question to me is how severe the punishment will be. Mays is in for a hefty fine at a minimum, and I'd say there's a small chance it was bad enough that he could even be suspended.

This. Rep.

bronco militia
09-24-2012, 10:37 AM
I think the rule sucks and I don't think Joe mays is a dirty player, but he should know better by now.

Gort
09-24-2012, 10:47 AM
The only problem with that hit is schaub got up. Mays needs to grow a pair and end QB's seasons

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/monday-motivate-10.jpg

DomCasual
09-24-2012, 10:56 AM
I'm actually torn on it. Mays is 5'11". Schaub is 6'5". If they stood face-to-face, Mays head would come to Schaub's chin. The replays showed Mays slightly dipping his head when he made the tackle, so it was probably the correct call. Still, it's not as cut-and-dry as some want to make it.

Popps
09-24-2012, 12:07 PM
The more important item is that Mays guessed wrong all day on Sunday. He's supposed to at least play the run well, and he didn't. He consistently shot the wrong gaps. Idiot Cannonball is about to lose his place in my Avatar, even if it was kind of tongue in cheek in the first place.

LB was a big area of concern to start the season, and that's pretty much played out to be correct.

Garcia Bronco
09-24-2012, 12:08 PM
By techincal definiton it was illegal, but I thought it was a bull**** call. Especially when Swab stepped into it.

Bacchus
09-24-2012, 12:13 PM
It was a great hit and well worth the 15 yards.

dictionary
09-24-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm actually torn on it. Mays is 5'11". Schaub is 6'5". If they stood face-to-face, Mays head would come to Schaub's chin. The replays showed Mays slightly dipping his head when he made the tackle, so it was probably the correct call. Still, it's not as cut-and-dry as some want to make it.

With the Ginger Eye of Sauron still on Denver after the Fox/JDR ref comments, it honestly wouldnt surprise me if Mays gets a 50k fine. If he does another one, then at most a one game suspension plus more monetary fines.

maher_tyler
09-24-2012, 12:31 PM

I agree. They were hitting Manning. Need to send a message that you can't keep doing those bootlegs and not have some sort of consequence. Sucks we got the 15 yarder. Its not like he was super late getting there, he hit him as soon as the ball left his hand.

Edit: Watched that video, he def lowers his head...

DomCasual
09-24-2012, 12:53 PM
There is a thread about this is a thread on ChefsPlanet about it. Several people comment about how cheap Mays is - especially considering the "cheap shot" he put on Tony Moeaki a few years ago. I assume they're talking about the hit on the onside kick - where Moeaki got knocked out. That hit = Tony Moeaki being a lazy dumbass and not protecting himself. No penalty. No fine.

manchambo
09-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Klatt said this morning that he thinks he will get a one game suspension considering he's already been fined this year. I was on the fence about it, but looking at the replay above, I agree that he should be suspended

houghtam
09-24-2012, 01:11 PM
There is a thread about this is a thread on ChefsPlanet about it. Several people comment about how cheap Mays is - especially considering the "cheap shot" he put on Tony Moeaki a few years ago. I assume they're talking about the hit on the onside kick - where Moeaki got knocked out. That hit = Tony Moeaki being a lazy dumbass and not protecting himself. No penalty. No fine.

Could they be talking about the Dec. 5th game where he actually aims for Moeaki's head?

Drunken.Broncoholic
09-24-2012, 01:28 PM
It's not about if the refs made the correct call or not. It's the inconsistency the refs bring to the game. Hawyard-bey was almost paralyzed for life and no flag was thrown. A player sees he can hit someone that way with no flag? They are gonna hit another player the same way thinking its legal. The refs job is to keep it safe, and being inconsistent in calling these plays is flat out dangerous. It wouldn't be totally insane to see a player get a career ending injury due to a refs inability to perform his job, resulting in a negligible lawsuit against the NFL.

houghtam
09-24-2012, 02:11 PM
If a player gets injured as a direct result of the refs, they are going to have a hell of a time using the "player safety is concern number one" defense in the concussion lawsuit.

Forget individual games, it's only a matter of time before these replacement refs determine the future of the NFL one way or the other.

DomCasual
09-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Could they be talking about the Dec. 5th game where he actually aims for Moeaki's head?

I don't remember that one. What was the play?

bronco militia
09-24-2012, 02:20 PM
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9biPfmRxOK0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9biPfmRxOK0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

maven
09-24-2012, 02:20 PM

I don't have a problem with him trying to make a play. He blew him up. This defense needs more nasty.

http://i.minus.com/igjwi8mRUiVCa.gif

Eldorado
09-24-2012, 02:22 PM
I don't have a problem with him trying to make a play. He blew him up. This defense needs more nasty.

http://i.minus.com/igjwi8mRUiVCa.gif

Jebus. Mays is gonna get suspended.

DomCasual
09-24-2012, 02:25 PM
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9biPfmRxOK0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9biPfmRxOK0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

This is the one I remember. This one is on Moeaki. I don't think there was a flag or fine. Moeaki won't mess around on a play like that again.

Sideburn
09-24-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm so sick of what this league is becoming every day. According to the rules, the hit was illegal. Punish Mays and move on...

What I do have a problem with is the constant rule changes to increase scoring output to bring in more fans, thus more money for owners and league officials. Too me it's the same as when MLB turned a blind eye to the juiced balls and players because scoring was increased along with ticket sales and advertising dollars.
You pretty much can't hit a qb or wr at all, man to man coverage is becoming more of a thing of the past due to restrictive rules on the defense, and missed tackles are all the rage now because the technique of tackling that has been taught for over 80 years is now changing to adapt to new rules.
Look, it's never smart to hit with the crown of your helmet, we've all known that for the last 50 years. But even going facemask to facemask is a penalty now. If the qb lowers his head, most of the time he's going to get hit in the head...it's a product of being 6'2" - 6'5" while most defenders are 5'10"- 6'1". When a defender is rushing the qb, as soon as he sees the arm go back he's taught to throw his arms in the air to bat down the pass...if you're also trying to get a sack, where are those hands going to hit? Protection is one thing, out right changing the game to create more revenue is something else.

Just a bunch of pussies...and in advance, **** anyone that cries about hits on either side. It's football, not grab-ass

gyldenlove
09-24-2012, 02:33 PM
So, having disected the video I can say the penalty was bull-****. The call was a personal foul striking the QB in the head - from the clip it is very obvious that Schaubs head snaps forward as he is drilled - which is what it would do if he was struck in the chest, but the exact opposite of what it would do if he was hit in the head. I believe his helmet comes off as a result of his facemask impacting on the back of Mays helmet.

Having said that, it was definitely a penalty, although it should have been roughing the passer leading with the helmet, which is also illegal. Mays is going to get fined around 25k at least, possibly 50k.

edog24
09-24-2012, 02:40 PM
The rules are becoming impossible for the players to play within. Can you imagine running flat out with helmet, pads, defenders grabbing at you and then you are expected to pull up at the last minute? If John Lynch were playing today, he would have to be PR/KR, all of his hits would have been flagged for sure.

DaFace
09-24-2012, 02:41 PM
So, having disected the video I can say the penalty was bull-****. The call was a personal foul striking the QB in the head - from the clip it is very obvious that Schaubs head snaps forward as he is drilled - which is what it would do if he was struck in the chest, but the exact opposite of what it would do if he was hit in the head. I believe his helmet comes off as a result of his facemask impacting on the back of Mays helmet.

Having said that, it was definitely a penalty, although it should have been roughing the passer leading with the helmet, which is also illegal. Mays is going to get fined around 25k at least, possibly 50k.

According to the NFL's definition, a blow to the facemask is a blow to the head. Not that it matters as you mentioned.

gyldenlove
09-24-2012, 02:47 PM
According to the NFL's definition, a blow to the facemask is a blow to the head. Not that it matters as you mentioned.

Technically Mays didn't hit Schaubs facemask, Schaub's facemask hit Mays.

edog24
09-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Technically Mays didn't hit Schaubs facemask, Schaub's facemask hit Mays.

And his ear chunk hit the grass :wiggle:

houghtam
09-24-2012, 03:04 PM
The rules are becoming impossible for the players to play within. Can you imagine running flat out with helmet, pads, defenders grabbing at you and then you are expected to pull up at the last minute? If John Lynch were playing today, he would have to be PR/KR, all of his hits would have been flagged for sure.

No one is expecting anyone to pull up at the last minute. All you need to do is look at who you're tackling and don't aim for their head or knees if they're the QB in the act of throwing. Mays did not look the tackle in. He lowered his head. If he had driven his facemask into Schaub's shoulder, and you know, made an attempt to wrap up instead of turning himself into a missile and launching, there likely wouldn't have been a call.

Now, with the replacement refs, I can't guarantee that, but Mays put himself in that position by not playing fundamental football. He has no one to blame but himself, or perhaps the good folks at Hyde Park HS and North Dakota State (not to mention Denver and Philadelphia) for never teaching him sound technique.

houghtam
09-24-2012, 03:07 PM
I don't remember that one. What was the play?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4gD0Ofib-Fo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wouldn't go so far as to say Joe Mays is a dirty player. I think he's got serious deficiencies in his tackling and play recognition skills, and he's not very agile. He'd make a better FB than LB, IMO.

bronco militia
09-24-2012, 03:08 PM
http://photos.denverpost.com/2012/09/23/photos-broncos-vs-texans/#61

Sideburn
09-24-2012, 03:11 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4gD0Ofib-Fo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wouldn't go so far as to say Joe Mays is a dirty player. I think he's got serious deficiencies in his tackling and play recognition skills, and he's not very agile. He'd make a better FB than LB, IMO.

If people are saying that hit was dirty then the sport I love is officially dead. Is it bad technique...absolutely. But I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I want our defenders to hit the opposition so hard that their grandma dies from the impact.

houghtam
09-24-2012, 03:20 PM
If people are saying that hit was dirty then the sport I love is officially dead. Is it bad technique...absolutely. But I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I want our defenders to hit the opposition so hard that their grandma dies from the impact.

It was a hard hit.

It was also a hit aimed at the guy's head.

I have no problem with hard hits. You can have them and still be technically sound while teaching a lesson.

Going for the big hit (especially the head) hurts you and your team more than it hurts the other player more often than not. Not to mention it leads to more missed tackles than trying to wrap up does.

What teaches a lesson more effectively? Knowing that if you go over the middle you will get stopped every time? Or knowing that if you go over the middle, someone's going to try taking out your head, and will likely get a 15 yard penalty and may not even make the tackle anyway.

Give me boring players on defense who can wrap up any day over exciting heavy hitters who hurt the team more than they help it.

gyldenlove
09-24-2012, 03:29 PM
And his ear chunk hit the grass :wiggle:

Guess we have to start calling Iron Joe Tyson or something....

houghtam
09-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Guess we have to start calling Iron Joe Tyson or something....

Hey, if Joe Mays wants to get a facial tattoo and punch Ed Helms in the face, I'm all for it. :)

TheReverend
09-24-2012, 04:07 PM
NFL considering a one game suspension for Mays for the hit per Schefter

ghwk
09-24-2012, 04:18 PM
http://photos.denverpost.com/2012/09/23/photos-broncos-vs-texans/#61

Before the blood starts....

The Joker
09-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Couldn't argue with a suspension at all.

It was an unnecessary, vicious hit that was designed to hurt Schaub. Vintage 'Idiot Cannonball'.

Fortunately for us Mays is complete and utter garbage and even with our horrific LB corp we won't miss him at all if he misses out.

ghwk
09-24-2012, 04:25 PM

It would be an interesting experiment to try him at FB. Not necessarily good, but interesting.

Eldorado
09-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Did manning take a hit before the von-mays back to back hit to kill?

El Minion
09-24-2012, 04:29 PM
http://www.trbimg.com/img-506085fb/turbine/la-sp-sn-matt-schaub-ear-20120924-001/600

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Matt-Schaub-Ear.jpg

houghtam

It was an unnecessary, vicious hit that was designed to hurt Schaub. Vintage 'Idiot Cannonball'.

Fortunately for us Mays is complete and utter garbage and even with our horrific LB corp we won't miss him at all if he misses out.

Addition by subtraction IMO.

Turd_Ferguson

Typically I hate it when they cry and complain every time there is a big hit. Particularly when they call every big hit "helmet to helmet", even when it clearly isn't helmet to helmet, but this hit was extremely unnecessary. As you can see in the photo above Mays has his chin tucked to his chest his arm up in the air. Had he put his shoulder in Shaub's stomach and his hands were on the back of Shaub's legs I would totally defend him, but this appeared to be a hit meant solely to injure. Had this been a hit on a Broncos QB I would have expected the O line to start a huge brawl at mid field.

Sideburn
09-24-2012, 04:38 PM
It was a hard hit.

It was also a hit aimed at the guy's head.

I have no problem with hard hits. You can have them and still be technically sound while teaching a lesson.

Going for the big hit (especially the head) hurts you and your team more than it hurts the other player more often than not. Not to mention it leads to more missed tackles than trying to wrap up does.

What teaches a lesson more effectively? Knowing that if you go over the middle you will get stopped every time? Or knowing that if you go over the middle, someone's going to try taking out your head, and will likely get a 15 yard penalty and may not even make the tackle anyway.

Give me boring players on defense who can wrap up any day over exciting heavy hitters who hurt the team more than they help it.

On phone so forgive typos please.

Wtf video did you watch? I see mays hittistng a tightend who is making a catch past the line of scrimmage. I see that tightend attempting to shrink his body, lower his head, and absorb and reciprocate a hit. That hit was a fine hit. It even looks like the shoulder plants firmly into his chest. Should he try to wrap up? Sure. I'm pretty sure I agreed with bad technique. How in anyway is a flag or fine or even any contempt for that play be justified? The only problem with the hit is that he held onto the ball.

houghtam
09-24-2012, 04:44 PM
On phone so forgive typos please.

Wtf video did you watch? I see mays hittistng a tightend who is making a catch past the line of scrimmage. I see that tightend attempting to shrink his body, lower his head, and absorb and reciprocate a hit. That hit was a fine hit. It even looks like the shoulder plants firmly into his chest. Should he try to wrap up? Sure. I'm pretty sure I agreed with bad technique. How in anyway is a flag or fine or even any contempt for that play be justified? The only problem with the hit is that he held onto the ball.

Watched the same video you did. He didn't make any attempt to get low. What do you do when someone is aiming at your head? You duck.

DENVERDUI55
09-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Talk is Mays might get a one game suspension.

AmericanBroncFan
09-24-2012, 05:18 PM

This is the BEST ever. This is what should've happened to schaub.

swaiy
09-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Well... he'll think twice about trying to Gogh after the quarterback now.

crush17
09-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Gogh Mays.

Hahahah that's fantastic.

BABronco
09-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Just want to go on record and say that I don't have a problem with the hit. Definitely don't think he should be suspended. I agree in todays nfl that is a flag 9/10 times.. but 10 years ago (pre manning/brady era) that number is probably closer to 5/10 times maybe even less.

cutthemdown
09-24-2012, 06:31 PM
I can't see how Mays should be suspended unless I am forgetting about him having other incidents.

If he gets suspended Broncos are sort of screwed. They are already at linebacker IMO but that would make it worst.

cutthemdown
09-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Thats awesome his ear came off though. He will remember Broncos forever now.

barryr
09-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Looked to me Schaub as he throws, his head lowers just as Mays is about to hit him and that contributed to what happened. So really no one's fault, but the NFL wants to protect QB's, so Mays will get a big fine, but it was not a dirty play on his part IMO.

gyldenlove
09-24-2012, 06:54 PM
Looked to me Schaub as he throws, his head lowers just as Mays is about to hit him and that contributed to what happened. So really no one's fault, but the NFL wants to protect QB's, so Mays will get a big fine, but it was not a dirty play on his part IMO.

It wasn't a dirty play, it was a stupid play. He has plenty of time and is in balance, all he has to do is lower the shoulder and put it right in his sternum and knock his ass down. Instead he does in with the head right below the chin, poor form and very risky.

Having seen it again, he also whips his arm up which at least contributes to the knocking of the helmet.