PDA

View Full Version : Fan Violence

elsid13
09-22-2012, 07:16 AM
Last night I caught this story on HBO Real Sports (http://www.hbo.com/real-sports-with-bryant-gumbel/index.html#/real-sports-with-bryant-gumbel/episodes/0/186-episode/video/186-fan-violence.html/eNrjcmbOUM-PSXHMS8ypLMlMDkhMT-VLzE1lzmcu1CzLTEnNh8k45+eVpFaUsDFyMjKySSeWluQX5CRW 2pYUlaayMQIAUmYXOA==) about the increased amount of fan violence occurring at professional games and couldn't believe how bad it's gotten. I have been to about 10 to 15 MLB games (Nationals and Red Sox) this year but never experienced anything like this. Do you think it being overblown by the media or our games starting to see "soccer hooliganism" slip into our national past times.

AmericanBroncFan
09-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Not overblown. Last time I went to arrowcrap the Broncos won big. We got out of the stadium just fine but was given the finger and swurved in front of going 80mh down the interstate. This is with my two boys in the backseat ages 7 and 9. We just slowed down to put distance between us and laughed about it but just think how bad it could've been.
There was one guy in the stadium that kept coming and going for beer. By the end of the game he would stop in front of my smiling face and pause for a moment. I was just waiting for it but at the same time I'm glad it didn't happen with my wife and kids right next to me.

Pontius Pirate
09-22-2012, 03:56 PM
I don't know if it's overblown or not, but it is NOT on par with soccer hooliganism. The hooligan culture is unlike anything we have or ever will see in fan violence in the U.S. Hooliganism is basically organized crime.

Hooligans travel in large groups (thousands, sometimes) to where their team is playing and have leaders who organize when the violence is going to strike. Often times they will terrorize an entire city - raiding hotels & shops, vandalizing cars all along their "march," and will often times simply result in a riot that has to be contained by the reserve army. Soccer riots take on national pride as well, which turns into ugly racism.

Hooligan crime is mass scale. The violence you're talking about in the U.S. is random sporadic conflicts. We'll never have a fan violence problem even remotely close to hooliganism.

gyldenlove
09-22-2012, 04:03 PM
I don't know if it's overblown or not, but it is NOT on par with soccer hooliganism. The hooligan culture is unlike anything we have or ever will see in fan violence in the U.S. Hooliganism is basically organized crime.

Hooligans travel in large groups (thousands, sometimes) to where their team is playing and have leaders who organize when the violence is going to strike. Often times they will terrorize an entire city - raiding hotels & shops, vandalizing cars all along their "march," and will often times simply result in a riot that has to be contained by the reserve army. Soccer riots take on national pride as well, which turns into ugly racism.

Hooligan crime is mass scale. The violence you're talking about in the U.S. is random sporadic conflicts. We'll never have a fan violence problem even remotely close to hooliganism.

I don't know where you got this information from, but I suggest you ask that person to put down the crack-pipe and open the windows, the fogs have clearly gone to their head.

broncocalijohn
09-22-2012, 04:06 PM
I dont see too many brawls at baseball games. Well, unless you are walking out as a Giants fan at Dodgers' stadium.

SouthStndJunkie
09-22-2012, 04:13 PM
I think it's being somewhat overblown....it happens, but it's been happening for a long time and is not a new phenomenon.

Anytime people drink for long periods of time and then sit elbow to elbow next to each other in a cramped setting, watching a game that get people emotionally riled up, you have to expect there will some altercations.

There are also people that go to games that are simply the kind of people that want to get into confrontations and use their team and the game as an excuse to **** with someone else.

Pontius Pirate
09-22-2012, 04:55 PM
I don't know where you got this information from, but I suggest you ask that person to put down the crack-pipe and open the windows, the fogs have clearly gone to their head.

Among the Thugs by Bill Buford. He spent 8 years researching soccer hooliganism - attending matches with hooligans and infiltrating several firms. Just finished it. Great read.

What specifically do you disagree with?

RhymesayersDU
09-22-2012, 04:57 PM
There are also people that go to games that are simply the kind of people that want to get into confrontations and use their team and the game as an excuse to **** with someone else.

I tend to agree with this. Maybe it's because I don't go to a bunch of away games, but I never see anything at Mile High. Then again, I'm also in the vast majority.

But besides that, SS is right; there's always going to be "likes to fight guy" at places. Whether it be a game, a bar, a concert, etc.

errand
09-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Among the Thugs by Bill Buford. He spent 8 years researching soccer hooliganism - attending matches with hooligans and infiltrating several firms. Just finished it. Great read.

What specifically do you disagree with?

I'm guessing because it paints soccer in an unflattering light.....and he's a fan.

errand
09-22-2012, 05:07 PM
I tend to agree with this. Maybe it's because I don't go to a bunch of away games, but I never see anything at Mile High. Then again, I'm also in the vast majority.

But besides that, SS is right; there's always going to be "likes to fight guy" at places. Whether it be a game, a bar, a concert, etc.

I'm sure alcohol is generally involved as well....amazing how people tailgate for hours drinking before the game, and then get pissy when the stadium stops selling beer in the 3rd qtr...****ing drunks, LOL

Pontius Pirate
09-22-2012, 05:18 PM
I'm guessing because it paints soccer in an unflattering light.....and he's a fan.

The sport of soccer (football, whatever) is great.

But the fans of soccer in West & Eastern Europe are insane. It's not even about the sport so much as it's about pride in the city or the country. When we see a fight in the stands at a U.S. football game, it can be jarring, but it's usually an isolated incident.

Violence in European, Russian, and Middle-Easter soccer matches is completely different than U.S. sport violence. It's mob violence. And it's often times coordinated. It's the mindset of middle-class and lower-class European football supporters. The violence is what they are interested in. They will travel from Manchester to Sardinia just to take part in a march before the game, get in on the violence pre-game, and never even make it to the game.

Take a look at the clips from Russia vs. Poland 2012 on youtube. Any worries that we have fan violence problems will subside immediately after you watch it.

Or, here you go, England vs. Germany in 2006:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ewCYi8JCaH4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

broncosteven
09-22-2012, 05:50 PM
There have been 2 instances here in Chicago where "fans" have attacked team coaches or umps. The Ligue father and son team are the most notorious examples.

They were drunk and decided to take their anger out on Tom Gamboa of the KFC Royals.

One look at this punk and you think Punk not upstanding citizen.

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/6YBiFQB9PcpFeBad2_inCA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusmlbexperts/ligues919.jpg

I think this type of stuff has been around for a long time, I have been at games where you instantly see a guy and get a bad vibe from him and it only takes one thing for things to go south. There are people that want to throw down anywhere any time, putting them in with 40k+ and you get trouble.

broncosteven
09-22-2012, 06:05 PM
There have been 2 instances here in Chicago where "fans" have attacked team coaches or umps. The Ligue father and son team are the most notorious examples.

They were drunk and decided to take their anger out on Tom Gamboa of the KFC Royals.

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/6YBiFQB9PcpFeBad2_inCA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusmlbexperts/ligues919.jpg

I think this type of stuff has been around for a long time, I have been at games where you instantly see a guy and get a bad vibe from him and it only takes one thing for things to go south. There are people that want to throw down anywhere any time, putting them in with 40k+ and you get trouble.

lonestar
09-22-2012, 08:43 PM

sounds like profiling to me..

we should be doing more of it..:thumbsup:

oubronco
09-22-2012, 09:04 PM
One look at this punk and you think Punk not upstanding citizen

I'm curious to what your refering to here

lonestar
09-22-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm curious to what your refering to here

I'm going to venture a guess.. he does not look like the pictures YOU post in another are of this forums butts and all..

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

oubronco
09-22-2012, 09:17 PM
LOL I was wondering if it was because he has tattoos

lonestar
09-22-2012, 09:30 PM
LOL I was wondering if it was because he has tattoos

probably that and the starting of a beer gut, plus he dos not look happy at all..

still not the same tats on those butts you post..

oubronco
09-22-2012, 09:33 PM
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Nice_b5a505_2736847.jpg

lonestar
09-22-2012, 09:35 PM
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Nice_b5a505_2736847.jpg

well that was incetfull..

NUB
09-22-2012, 10:11 PM
Been to some Denver games in Dallas -- never had a problem. Course one of those was in VIP seating, but the other was out with the riff-raff/peasants/plebs. Maybe it's a Texas thing, though, as Texans are pretty hospitable generally speaking. I can gather just by the T.V. that rooting for the other team in Philly is probably gonna lead to some trouble. But I think everything leads to trouble in cities like that. (Never had a problem in Denver, either, but Colorado is full of either nice old people or laid back hippies.) Worst thing I've seen at a game was security bullying a guy -- right in front of his family -- for no reason. Just a power-tripping ass.

Vulcano
09-23-2012, 08:36 AM
The sport of soccer (football, whatever) is great.
Violence in European, Russian, and Middle-Easter soccer matches is completely different than U.S. sport violence.
It's mob violence. And it's often times coordinated. It's the mindset of middle-class and lower-class European football supporters. The violence is what they are interested in.

I agree with you with the difference of european fan violence and U.S. fan violence.:approve:
But donīt mention middle and lower class soccer fans in the same sentence with "Ultraīs" fangroups, which visit the Stadium to make trouble.:pity:

european trouble (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk7494XVX6Q)

hooligans (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcFjMqTC044)

Broncos_OTM
09-23-2012, 08:50 AM
born again hooligan, you will see me again... you don't know jack about hooligans