PDA

View Full Version : Did Falcons get away with illegal play to extinguish rally by Broncos?

Bronco Rob
09-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Atlanta cheated Monday to beat Denver in a prime example of how the sport's integrity and the league standings are being compromised by substandard officiating.

With the game's outcome in the balance, Atlanta gained a first down, squelched a furious rally by the Broncos and iced a 27-21 victory with a pass play where the Falcons were obviously guilty of offensive pass interference that went unpunished by inexperienced NFL refs. Commissioner Roger Goodell should cringe with embarrassment if he inspects the third-down play by Atlanta with 2 minutes, 35 seconds remaining and the Falcons on their own 25-yard line.

Atlanta receiver Roddy White committed offensive pass interference against Denver cornerback Champ Bailey on a classic, illegal pick play that resulted in a six-yard catch by Julio Jones, the beneficiary of the Falcons' disregard for the rules in a situation where replacement officials would naturally be hesitant to make a crucial call certain to be unpopular with the home crowd.

Needing five yards to keep the drive alive and avoid punting to give Denver quarterback Peyton Manning a chance at late-game heroics, the Falcons set two illegal picks to free Jones on an underneath route

The failure of zebras who haven't earned their stripes cost Manning a shot to complete one of the greatest comebacks in the history of "Monday Night Football."

Read more: Did Falcons get away with illegal play to extinguish rally by Broncos? - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/lunchspecial/ci_21601368/did-falcons-get-away-illegal-play-extinguish-rally#ixzz279xs0zU4
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

menonite
09-21-2012, 08:03 PM
"cheated" seems a bit harsh.

gyldenlove
09-21-2012, 08:20 PM
Pick plays can't get me upset anymore, they happen so frequently and never gets punished. Hell, in the other thread about the Texans one of the plays highlighted is a classic pick play, I know we pulled a few of them against the Falcons.

UberBroncoMan
09-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Was a risk they took and it paid off.

Makes sense considering how absurdly open Jones was.

Captain 'Dre
09-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Somehow, Ed Hochuli must be involved! ugh!~

ColoradoDarin
09-21-2012, 08:39 PM
It's not illegal if they don't call it.

TheReverend
09-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Eh... there's several spots I'd gripe over long before that play.

GreatBronco16
09-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Denver got away with a pick play in that very same game.

spdirty
09-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Doesn't come close to the outrage I felt at the fumble and the pass interference on Carter that let them score their last TD.

BowlenBall
09-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Meh. The phantom fumble and some of the bogus P.I. calls were much more egregious than that pick.

We got jobbed in that game... but it's time to move on.

Punisher
09-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Falcons got away with a lot of **** that night

maven
09-21-2012, 10:00 PM
meh...

cmhargrove
09-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Get over it. On to the Texans...

uplink
09-21-2012, 11:21 PM
I really think Denver wins the game if the regular refs would have called it. So many crutial bad calls during the game. The fumble recovery took away broncos points, the phantom PI on Carter allowed an Atlanta drive to continue towards their last TD. That was the worst PI call ever, Carter was 5 never within 3 yards of the receiver. Could go on and on with the bad calls that seemed to all go against the broncos.

ZONA
09-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Yeah, the fumble play was much more worthy of an article.

KipCorrington25
09-22-2012, 12:07 AM
Hey, the NFL owners saved a couple hundred thousand so eff all you fans complaining.

FantomForce
09-22-2012, 12:25 AM
meh, we lost the game. Peyton came out and threw 3 picks. We were lucky to come back I'm just glad our team didn't fold and give in

fontaine
09-22-2012, 04:38 AM
Screw that. Coaches around the league are asking their plays to hold/push and do all that stuff because the refs aren't calling it.

No sense bitching about it when we lose and glossing over it when we win.

Lolad
09-22-2012, 05:45 AM
I don't care about the play. Give me the phantom PI call back on Carter, and the fumble and we win

Broncoman13
09-22-2012, 06:36 AM
The NFL sent out a letter concerning conduct toward the officials and highlighted Fox and JDR. That tells you how much they care about the bad calls. In other words, coaches and fans need to just live with it. NFL is dropping the ball on this one big time.

rmsanger
09-22-2012, 06:44 AM
people always love to make excuses for their team or what have you in life. really it pisses me off how weak people are... We lost, it wasn't the refs' fault, an illegal play from Atl, or a stinky fart from the commish's office.

uplink
09-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Fans should petition that theses games go down in the record books with an asterisks to note that the officiating was not on par. That would get the league thinking.

DivineLegion
09-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Fans should petition that theses games go down in the record books with an asterisks to note that the officiating was not on par. That would get the league thinking.

Should we go ahead and put an asterisk next to the Steelers 05' Super Bowl?

BABronco
09-22-2012, 09:24 AM

I like your thinking DivineLegion. But thats only just the start. Take away every pat superbowl that they didnt win by more than 4 points. Take away half of the steelers and cowboy sbs.

And miamis sbs but not because I think they cheat. Just because they are dbags.

DivineLegion
09-22-2012, 09:31 AM
I like your thinking DivineLegion. But thats only just the start. Take away every pat superbowl that they didnt win by more than 4 points. Take away half of the steelers and cowboy sbs.

And miamis sbs but not because I think they cheat. Just because they are dbags.

If you consider cocaine a PED you disqualify the efforts of Mercury Morris and Michael Irvin, that would take care of the Dolphins and Cowboys.

ColoradoDarin
09-22-2012, 09:33 AM
If you consider cocaine a PED you disqualify the efforts of Mercury Morris and Michael Irvin, that would take care of the Dolphins and Cowboys.

I don't know if it's a PED, but it's a hell of a drug!

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/wfgr.com/files/2011/03/chappelle-as-rick-james-300x225.jpg

DivineLegion
09-22-2012, 09:45 AM
http://chorpenning.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/dr-rockso-the-rock-and-roll-clown-dr-rockso-dethklok-cocaine-demotivational-poster-1248934729.jpg

dictionary
09-22-2012, 11:11 AM
http://chorpenning.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/dr-rockso-the-rock-and-roll-clown-dr-rockso-dethklok-cocaine-demotivational-poster-1248934729.jpg

I love cocaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaine! I miss that show.

jerseyboiler120
09-22-2012, 11:20 AM
The game was chok full of bad calls, the majority of which went against us. I'm proud of the way our defense kept us in the game and the way the offense came back and really had craplanta on the ropes.

jerseyboiler120
09-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Think I spelled "chok" wrong.

BroncoBuff
09-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Atlanta cheated Monday to beat Denver in a prime example of how the sport's integrity and the league standings are being compromised by substandard officiating.

With the game's outcome in the balance, Atlanta gained a first down, squelched a furious rally by the Broncos and iced a 27-21 victory with a pass play where the Falcons were obviously guilty of offensive pass interference that went unpunished by inexperienced NFL refs. Commissioner Roger Goodell should cringe with embarrassment if he inspects the third-down play by Atlanta with 2 minutes, 35 seconds remaining and the Falcons on their own 25-yard line.

Atlanta receiver Roddy White committed offensive pass interference against Denver cornerback Champ Bailey on a classic, illegal pick play that resulted in a six-yard catch by Julio Jones, the beneficiary of the Falcons' disregard for the rules in a situation where replacement officials would naturally be hesitant to make a crucial call certain to be unpopular with the home crowd.

Needing five yards to keep the drive alive and avoid punting to give Denver quarterback Peyton Manning a chance at late-game heroics, the Falcons set two illegal picks to free Jones on an underneath route

The failure of zebras who haven't earned their stripes cost Manning a shot to complete one of the greatest comebacks in the history of "Monday Night Football.

Read more: Did Falcons get away with illegal play to extinguish rally by Broncos? - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/lunchspecial/ci_21601368/did-falcons-get-away-illegal-play-extinguish-rally#ixzz279xs0zU4
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

It was definitely an illegal pick. But what impresses me most is how you've turned one non-call on a 6-yard play deep in their own territory into a last-straw indictment of corrupt officiating that threatens to cut this once-proud sport down to the level of Professional Team Table Tennis. Very impressive.

BroncoBuff
09-22-2012, 04:30 PM

Already done here in Seattle. Did you know three years later the same officiating crew was here to ref a training camp scrimmage, and two of them did an interview admitting there were "multiple" officiating errors that "affected the outcome" of that Super Bowl. This town went nuts, it led the newscasts, Goodell (or maybe Tagliabue then) muzzled the crew. It was pretty funny, TV news was doing live shots "outside the hotel where the offials are staying .... " :~ohyah!:

broncocalijohn
09-22-2012, 05:11 PM
"cheated" seems a bit harsh.

Completely but hard to tell if it is Bronco Rob's feelings or that is how the article was written. Getting him to put his feelings on such a thread starter is really tough.

Cheating? I guess every penalty should be considered cheating. Good grief! Blame the refs for it.