PDA

View Full Version : OT- Pic of Space Shuttle going over my house!

cutthemdown
09-21-2012, 02:03 PM
AMERICA **** YEAH!

TheReverend
09-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Seems like a big waste of money when we already have anti-gravity technology.

oubronco
09-21-2012, 02:08 PM
That's fuggin Awesome!!

Tim
09-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Bars and stars F yea

cutthemdown
09-21-2012, 02:17 PM
They flew low all over Long Beach letting the whole city get a look at it. Very cool day to be an American in Long Beach! Going to miss the Space Shuttle. If your my age then like me you watched it grow up, and now be retired. What a monument to what America can accomplish when we put our minds to something.

I'm more convinced then ever we will be the first country to put a person on Mars, mine an asteriod, and have someone living on the moon.

Chris
09-21-2012, 02:22 PM
http://brojsimpson.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/dogs_humping2.jpg

maher_tyler
09-21-2012, 02:31 PM
They flew low all over Long Beach letting the whole city get a look at it. Very cool day to be an American in Long Beach! Going to miss the Space Shuttle. If your my age then like me you watched it grow up, and now be retired. What a monument to what America can accomplish when we put our minds to something.

I'm more convinced then ever we will be the first country to put a person on Mars, mine an asteriod, and have someone living on the moon.

Didn't they cut spending on NASA??

Bad ass pic either way...

cutthemdown
09-21-2012, 02:39 PM

Yeah but even with it low we managed to send curiosity to Mars and we won't always be broke at the federal level IMO.

You coul dbe right though in that no one country alone can affrord to do those things. If that is the case I still feel America will be leading the way in an international effort.

Who knows maybe something like a bunch of countries working together to send men to mars could be something that brings the world together.

No muslim countries get to play because they are poor like Kenny on Southpark.

enjolras
09-21-2012, 02:59 PM

They did, but NASA turned around and invested heavily in private efforts. I'm not always a fan of blanket privatization, but in this case it makes a ton of sense. What the private guys have been able to do is amazing, and NASA is contracting the next generation of space exploration out to them.

It's a running joke in the tech startup world. We measure how expensive something is by the number of "Space X's" it's worth. For instance, Google paid roughly 12 Space X's to buy Motorola. Or Facebook could have built a freaking space program for less than it paid for instagram :)

The future of private space exploration sure looks good right now.

orangeatheist
09-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Damn that's awesome. Once in a lifetime. Wow!

Los Broncos
09-21-2012, 03:07 PM
I seen it down here in the OC...pretty sweet.

maher_tyler
09-21-2012, 03:10 PM
They did, but NASA turned around and invested heavily in private efforts. I'm not always a fan of blanket privatization, but in this case it makes a ton of sense. What the private guys have been able to do is amazing, and NASA is contracting the next generation of space exploration out to them.

It's a running joke in the tech startup world. We measure how expensive something is by the number of "Space X's" it's worth. For instance, Google paid roughly 12 Space X's to buy Motorola. Or Facebook could have built a freaking space program for less than it paid for instagram :)

The future of private space exploration sure looks good right now.

Thats good. I don't think we should ever give up on getting to another planet or figureing out how to get out of our own solar system etc. I feel like giving up on the space program would be like giving up as mankind. As much money as it takes, i think it is the right thing to do.

DBroncos4life
09-21-2012, 03:14 PM
My friend was on board that plane!

WolfpackGuy
09-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Saw the Enterprise shuttle up close last week on the Intrepid in NYC.

Impressive doesn't do those birds justice.

Fedaykin
09-21-2012, 03:21 PM

SpaceX et al have done great things -- but let's not forget that none of that would have been possible (on the time & resources used) without decades of work and hundreds of billions of NASA and other government research.

Paladin
09-21-2012, 03:27 PM
And all those workers received Government Checks!

Think about it.

Kaylore
09-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Am I the only one who was hoping there was a third, smaller vessel on the shuttle?

cutthemdown
09-21-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm lucky. I got to see a shuttle at Edwards air force base land, got to see one up close being built out out Rockwells Palmdale facility where the final assembly was done and got to watch it blast off.......on tv. Well 2 of 3 ain't bad. I guess some people way luckier though.

Chris
09-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Am I the only one who was hoping there was a third, smaller vessel on the shuttle?

Quick someone make an image with 8 successively smaller planes stacked on top of each other. That's how the Russians do it.

ludo21
09-21-2012, 04:00 PM
saw a pic this morning. very very cool.

Awesome picture!!

Did anyone see the project they had to do in LA to get it to the museum?: Cut down all the trees and power lines.

A $10 Million dollar project supposedly...

maher_tyler
09-21-2012, 04:14 PM
saw a pic this morning. very very cool.

Awesome picture!!

Did anyone see the project they had to do in LA to get it to the museum?: Cut down all the trees and power lines.

A $10 Million dollar project supposedly...

You think they would have put it in Houston or Florida.

cutthemdown
09-21-2012, 04:58 PM
You think they would have put it in Houston or Florida.

Pretty sure they got one also. Southern Calif built the Space Shuttle at Downey and Palmdale facilities so really its sort of coming home. So Calif a great place for one of the shuttles.

cutthemdown
09-21-2012, 04:59 PM
I guess some people feel Houston should have gotten the one that went to NYC. But So Calif for sure deserved theres. Plus lots of people here to go see it.

chawknz
09-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Yeah they had to cut down something like 400 trees along a 12 mile stretch to get the shuttle to the museum. Lame.

Beautiful picture, however!

Pontius Pirate
09-21-2012, 08:03 PM
http://mestadelsbilder.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/masterblaster.jpg

Ratboy
09-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Yeah they had to cut down something like 400 trees along a 12 mile stretch to get the shuttle to the museum. Lame.

and they will replant 800...

Rock Chalk
09-22-2012, 06:38 AM
I didnt have a great angle, and I didnt know it was coming so this was the best I got when it flew over my office.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/548523_10151158894399485_1016738343_n.jpg

rugbythug
09-22-2012, 10:22 AM
http://mestadelsbilder.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/masterblaster.jpg

This is actually your best OM post

jerseyboiler120
09-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Master Blaster pic! Funny as shyt.

DENVERDUI55
09-22-2012, 10:35 AM

It's California so they didn't cut them down they "relocated!'

cutthemdown
09-22-2012, 12:28 PM

What would your suggestion be? Take of the wings of the shuttle and then reassemble?

broncosteven
09-22-2012, 12:38 PM
SpaceX et al have done great things -- but let's not forget that none of that would have been possible (on the time & resources used) without decades of work and hundreds of billions of NASA and other government research.

Guys like this dude!

http://images.cdn.fotopedia.com/kali-iWLln8qAFIs-hd.jpg

Personally I think the shuttle was a compromise from the start between the government and Air Force and should have been replaced about 10-15 years ago but it did do some great things.

I also morn the loss of both Challenger and Columbia, in both cases human error cost the lives of the crews but there were changes implemented after both tragedies that made the program safer.

The shuttle program proved that humans learn from their mistakes.

It built the ISS, and launched and fixed Hubble, not feats equal to Apollo but feats that progressed mankind.

Here is to hoping that the private companies can make orbital trips cheaper and that we continue to fund deep space Manned missions. We need to reach out to the stars and do the other things not because they are easy but because they are hard.

Quoydogs
09-22-2012, 01:21 PM
I read an article awhile back that said that thing is only held on to the plane by 9 half inch bolts. I thought that was pretty interesting.