PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Safety

Binkythefrog
09-21-2012, 10:30 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/21/sports/football/despite-risks-nfl-leaves-helmet-choices-in-players-hands.html

Interesting look into helmet decisions - looks like a lot of players just wear what looks good.

I think the NFL should mandate the safer helmets - i think by not doing so they put themselves at risk for being held liable on concussions.

One tidbit about our second favorite (or third) team to talk about on the Mane - the Chefs:

There have also been accusations that teams have failed to obtain requested models in a timely manner, according to the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the issue publicly.

The Cincinnati Bengals and the Kansas City Chiefs were two of the teams cited, the official said. Rivers, who spent four seasons with the Bengals before joining the Giants, said that in Cincinnati “our team had used a lot of Riddells, and I wanted a Schutt, so I had to complain for a while.”

“I finally got one like weeks and weeks later,” he said. “Here, you say what you want and you get it.”

It's pretty sad that the Chiefs are on this list - but given their organizational track record on the field the past few years I'm not surprised.

Bronco Boy
09-21-2012, 10:33 AM
The NFL doesn't care about the safety of its players.

Chris
09-21-2012, 10:57 AM
The NFL doesn't care about the safety of its players.

They care about looking like they care so they're not liable.

manchambo
09-21-2012, 11:52 AM
They care about looking like they care so they're not liable.

They're doing a pathetic job even at that. How is it going to play in this lawsuit that they haven't even recommended, much less required, that players wear the safest helmets. And that they've done a mediocre at best job of even informing the players which ones are best. And that some players have trouble even getting the helmets they want?

I smell a billion dollar verdict on the wind.

KipCorrington25
09-21-2012, 05:51 PM
The Chiefs are cheap about everything sort of why the employees are expected to pick up candy wrappers in the stairwells so they don't have to hire a janitor.