PDA

View Full Version : Iceberg Ahoy! - Life without Hue Jackson not going so well for Raider Nation

Bronco Rob
09-20-2012, 09:16 AM
NFL power rankings: Life without Hue Jackson not going so well for Raider Nation

Michael Silver

When Mark Davis made his first major move as the Raiders' owner last January, hiring Reggie McKenzie as the team's general manager and firing coach Hue Jackson after a solitary, 8-8 season, some of us blasted the decision like Jack Tatum lighting up a defenseless receiver back in the day.

In my column likening the late Al Davis' son to "Tommy Boy", I called Jackson's firing an astonishingly dumb move. Then-Raiders wideout T.J. Houshmandzadeh was among those who shared that opinion, telling me, "I'll bet you San Diego, Kansas City and Denver like this move, because we would have been good next year with Hue."

Well, next year is here, and it's indeed a horror show: Two weeks into the 2012 season, the Raiders are the worst team in football and the obvious occupant of the lowest rung on our 32 Questions status-interpretation ladder. They have taken the term ugly early to a new level, having been blown out last Sunday by the Dolphins, for whom the ignominious 32nd question was saved a week ago.

Or, to put it another way: The Romney campaign has had a better September than the Raiders.

I take no joy in the misery of Raider Nation. Oakland hasn't had a winning season since 2002, and an extensive rebuilding process is a lot to ask of this particular fan base, especially when its rival across the Bay to whom our first question is dedicated for the second consecutive week looks like the class of football a year after a rookie coach provoked a dramatic turnaround.

So far, Allen is the anti-Jim Harbaugh. On a positive note, the Raiders' new coach is quite docile in news conferences ("We've got to coach better, we've got to play better") and keeps his grooming habits to himself.

If his unmanicured hand can guide the Raiders out of this Black Hole anytime soon, there's no question I'll be forced to reassess my view of the situation. Until then, I miss Hue and whether they admit it, I suspect a lot of Raiders fans do, too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--nfl-power-rankings--life-without-hue-jackson-not-working-so-well-for-raider-nation.html

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa444/Paxil_Rose/hue_zpsa35a5e4b.jpg

:thumbsup:

bowtown
09-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Top 5 offense in the AFC West.

Ray Finkle
09-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Top 5 offense in the AFC West.

but there are only 4 teams????

or wait....I get jokes :D

Chris
09-20-2012, 09:38 AM
http://gifstumblr.com/images/titanic-sinking_756.gif

http://www.chargertom.com/RaiderPicKiss.jpg

Captain 'Dre
09-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Hue Jackson is the guy who orchestrated trading 1st and 2nd round picks for Carson Palmer, which-- considering the Raiders' abysmal cap situation-- set the team's future back in a desperate attempt at success NOW.

Seems to me that Jackson's vision for the team's direction was VERY different from Mark Davis and Reggie McKenzie's.

When the Raiders needed a couple of wins to get into the playoffs last year, they failed to get them... and that was under the *leadership* of Hue Jackson.

Hue Jackson treated Mark Davis dismissively, which was a factor in his dismissal. He has no one to blame but himself.

Bacchus
09-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Jackson needed to get fired for sending the Bengals a 1st and 2nd for Palmer. That is unforgivable.

That One Guy
09-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Hue Jackson treated Mark Davis dismissively, which was a factor in his dismissal. He has no one to blame but himself.

I think it was important to do what he did. If he'd just let them hire a GM and tried to play good soldier, you'd have had a power struggle. He made the new boss chose between the old coach or a new GM and he chose a new GM. At least they're united in a single direction at that point. A divided club would've been much worse.

fontaine
09-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Hue Jackson is the guy who orchestrated trading 1st and 2nd round picks for Carson Palmer, which-- considering the Raiders' abysmal cap situation-- set the team's future back in a desperate attempt at success NOW.

Seems to me that Jackson's vision for the team's direction was VERY different from Mark Davis and Reggie McKenzie's.

When the Raiders needed a couple of wins to get into the playoffs last year, they failed to get them... and that was under the *leadership* of Hue Jackson.

Yes, Hue's plan worked.

What? Did you think a Head Coach wants to stay in Oakland?

:spit:

TheReverend
09-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Only you, Oakland.

Only you.

broncosteven
09-20-2012, 12:31 PM
But they picked up their nickle CB after rummaging through the NFL garbage and I thought they were going to now have the best D in the league?

Pick Six
09-20-2012, 12:33 PM
The AFC West has two defensive coordinators who are delusional enough to think they can be head coaches, in Romeo Crennel and Dennis Allen. It's no wonder that Denver will be battling San Diego for the AFC West crown...

bronco militia
09-20-2012, 12:39 PM
The AFC West has two defensive coordinators who are delusional enough to think they can be head coaches, in Romeo Crennel and Dennis Allen. It's no wonder that Denver will be battling San Diego for the AFC West crown...

what.....how can the coaches be delusional when they were both offered the job?

Pick Six
09-20-2012, 12:46 PM
what.....how can the coaches be delusional when they were both offered the job?

Ok. The GMs are delusional. My point is that it's starting to play out exactly like it should (even though it is early, in the season)...

Tim
09-20-2012, 12:50 PM
for a minute last season I was worried when they had Mcfadden, just got palmer, and Hue was coaching... then it turned into a comedy movie. The Fade suck

fdf
09-20-2012, 02:39 PM
NFL power rankings: Life without Hue Jackson not going so well for Raider Nation

Michael Silver

When Mark Davis made his first major move as the Raiders' owner last January, hiring Reggie McKenzie as the team's general manager and firing coach Hue Jackson after a solitary, 8-8 season, some of us blasted the decision like Jack Tatum lighting up a defenseless receiver back in the day.

In my column likening the late Al Davis' son to "Tommy Boy", I called Jackson's firing an astonishingly dumb move. Then-Raiders wideout T.J. Houshmandzadeh was among those who shared that opinion, telling me, "I'll bet you San Diego, Kansas City and Denver like this move, because we would have been good next year with Hue."

Well, next year is here, and it's indeed a horror show: Two weeks into the 2012 season, the Raiders are the worst team in football and the obvious occupant of the lowest rung on our 32 Questions status-interpretation ladder. They have taken the term ugly early to a new level, having been blown out last Sunday by the Dolphins, for whom the ignominious 32nd question was saved a week ago.

Or, to put it another way: The Romney campaign has had a better September than the Raiders.

I take no joy in the misery of Raider Nation. Oakland hasn't had a winning season since 2002, and an extensive rebuilding process is a lot to ask of this particular fan base, especially when its rival across the Bay to whom our first question is dedicated for the second consecutive week looks like the class of football a year after a rookie coach provoked a dramatic turnaround.

So far, Allen is the anti-Jim Harbaugh. On a positive note, the Raiders' new coach is quite docile in news conferences ("We've got to coach better, we've got to play better") and keeps his grooming habits to himself.

If his unmanicured hand can guide the Raiders out of this Black Hole anytime soon, there's no question I'll be forced to reassess my view of the situation. Until then, I miss Hue and whether they admit it, I suspect a lot of Raiders fans do, too.

Yes. But on the other hand, Davis' son has the best haircut in pro football. Despite that, and in contrast to the article, I do take pleasure in the misery of Raider's fans.

Bronco Rob
09-20-2012, 07:44 PM
Yes. But on the other hand, Davis' son has the best haircut in pro football. Despite that, and in contrast to the article, I do take pleasure in the misery of Raider's fans.

http://espn.go.com/photo/2012/0508/nfl_u_davis_wm_400.jpg

:thumbsup:

Mogulseeker
09-20-2012, 08:06 PM
They were going places with Cable, then they cut him off. Funny how the Raiders front office is still dysfunctional.

maven
09-20-2012, 08:19 PM
http://espn.go.com/photo/2012/0508/nfl_u_davis_wm_400.jpg

I keep seeing that picture posted, and it just makes me laugh

hahahaahahahahaha

bronco militia
09-20-2012, 08:23 PM
http://d3ny4pswk2x1ig.cloudfront.net/55aa7c0ad39481abb31ed607ac6bc61a8bcab9573eb6e6bf57 7315a0.jpg

menonite
09-20-2012, 08:27 PM
"Today in Astronomy news, a giant white camel toe was discovered in a black hole."

Kaylore
09-20-2012, 08:39 PM
What did Mark Davis do before he got his dady's team?

Punisher
09-20-2012, 08:50 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nXOE6EQtKcU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>