PDA

View Full Version : Who still wants to move Franklin to G?

MagicHef
09-19-2012, 09:13 AM
PFF has Franklin rated as the #1 RT in the league.

Clady is the #7 LT
Beadles is the #7 LG
Walton is the #6 C
Ramirez is the #18 RG

I guess knowing what you're supposed to be doing is helpful to an OL.

In case anyone isn't familiar with PFF, this isn't just someone's opinion. They break down every play, looking at the responsibilities of each player and determining how well each player is doing what they are asked to do.

Tombstone RJ
09-19-2012, 09:14 AM
The Manning effect...

ColoradoDarin
09-19-2012, 09:18 AM
The Manning effect...

The Well Known Manning Effect.

enjolras
09-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Franklin has made amazing improvement with his footwork. He's the best offensive lineman on the team. If Kuper can come back at 100% this is the best line in the whole league. Hell even Walton looks to be really improved.

bronco militia
09-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Clady is going to be a very rich man

Bigdawg26
09-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Yeah that is the Manning effect! He gets the ball out alot quicker than Tebow and Orton who don't get rid of the ball at all!

gyldenlove
09-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Franklin has been absolutely solid, he has held up against the pass rush very well even against speed rushers who really gave him fits last year and he is still a beast in run blocking.

Kaylore
09-19-2012, 09:39 AM
The Well Known Manning Effect.

:thumbsup:

broncocalijohn
09-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Franklin is lights above his rookie season...he gets it! One reason to not judge too quickly on some positions during a player's rookie season. I think cornerback is one tough position to adjust from college.

Bacchus
09-19-2012, 09:50 AM
PFF has Franklin rated as the #1 RT in the league.

Clady is the #7 LT
Beadles is the #7 LG
Walton is the #6 C
Ramirez is the #18 RG

I guess knowing what you're supposed to be doing is helpful to an OL.

In case anyone isn't familiar with PFF, this isn't just someone's opinion. They break down every play, looking at the responsibilities of each player and determining how well each player is doing what they are asked to do.

I do not want to tell everyone i told you so but......

The line was not nearly as bad as everyone was saying. Tim Tebow was the problem, not the offensive line. A real QB does wonders for how we the public perceives the OL and how they are playing.

BroncoLifer
09-19-2012, 09:53 AM
He's good at recovering fumbles, too. Oh, wait.........

Pick Six
09-19-2012, 09:56 AM

The line was not nearly as bad as everyone was saying. Tim Tebow was the problem, not the offensive line. A real QB does wonders for how we the public perceives the OL and how they are playing.

It's amazing how well it helps, when the offensive line doesn't have to hold their blocks. We just need to work on the WR routes, and we'll be solid...:notworthy

BroncoMan4ever
09-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Franklin has made amazing improvement with his footwork. He's the best offensive lineman on the team. If Kuper can come back at 100% this is the best line in the whole league. Hell even Walton looks to be really improved.

Franklin has looked awesome, but Beadles has been beastly so far this season.

R8R H8R
09-19-2012, 10:27 AM
None of this surprises me. Obviously, the coaches see Franklin everyday in practice and knew his only problem was getting experience. Same thing with Beadles and Walton.

But the experts on this board watches a rookie in preseason and already expect him to be playing at the level of a solid veteran. I.E., we have countless threads and posts asking, or demanding, that Franklin gets kicked inside to guard because he struggled in preseason as a rookie & had growing pains as a starter. Not everyone can play like Clady as a rookie. That's why Clady was a high #1 pick and Orlando was a mid-to-low 2nd round pick.

Phillip Blake is already a bust to some because he struggled as a rookie. I will not believe it until he is cut from the team. He was stashed on IR because he just isn't ready, but they want to give him another year to improve. I don't believe for a minute that he was drafted to start this year. They are obviously, very happy with Walton and Beadles.

These Broncos coaches are good, folks, real good; esp. Maguzu & JDR. Which is why I won't worry about Rahim Moore until the coaches themselves give up on him and cut him.

Mogulseeker
09-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Franklin has looked awesome, but Beadles has been beastly so far this season.

It's only been two games into the season, but I'm just baffled as to the Pro-Bowl season Beadles is having so far, given his performance last year.

Lestat
09-19-2012, 10:45 AM
i never had an issue with Franklin. i don't know if it's Elway or Elway listening to his people, but dude is beastly at drafting.
it's kinda starting to freak me out with the players he's brought in in just two drafts.
but i must wholeheartedly apologize to Zane Beadles.
i dogged that man out something fierce last season and he and Franklin have been beasts this season.

i don't know what happened to Zane, if the change in offense is helping him, studying with Manning or he just finally "gets it." but the boy has been a bad, bad man this year.

BowlenBall
09-19-2012, 10:51 AM
I've got to admit... hated when the Broncos drafted Franklin. Then, I wanted them to move him to guard. But after the first two games, he's been great at right tackle. Great pick by the Broncos, gotta give credit where credit is due.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lcSO69qyKPs/TMW-OvIonaI/AAAAAAAACGk/MOtJWm3yTeA/s1600/EatingCrow1.jpg

lonestar
09-19-2012, 10:52 AM
None of this surprises me. Obviously, the coaches see Franklin everyday in practice and knew his only problem was getting experience. Same thing with Beadles and Walton.

But the experts on this board watches a rookie in preseason and already expect him to be playing at the level of a solid veteran. I.E., we have countless threads and posts asking, or demanding, that Franklin gets kicked inside to guard because he struggled in preseason as a rookie & had growing pains as a starter. Not everyone can play like Clady as a rookie. That's why Clady was a high #1 pick and Orlando was a mid-to-low 2nd round pick.

Phillip Blake is already a bust to some because he struggled as a rookie. I will not believe it until he is cut from the team. He was stashed on IR because he just isn't ready, but they want to give him another year to improve. I don't believe for a minute that he was drafted to start this year. They are obviously, very happy with Walton and Beadles.

These Broncos coaches are good, folks, real good; esp. Maguzu & JDR. Which is why I won't worry about Rahim Moore until the coaches themselves give up on him and cut him.
I do not even know how many times I said much the same thing.

Whe it comes down to OL play in particular it is knowing and trusting the guy next to you. Absolutely knowing what the guy next to you will do in every situation. Trusting it will happen. That does not come in a few games. In some cases years look at the really great OLs KC had one in front of Trent green they led the league in running and pass protect hell it was so good TY was all pro a few years. They did not have the best talent but it was good and they were together for almost a decade at the end.

But alas they all got old at the same time and one of the huge reasons that led to the chefs sucking like they do today.

Instead of infusing a new guy every few years to keep them less than ancient.

What we have in DEN is good if they all stay healthy. Lupe has a area more great years in him then it is time to make him a backup and put a stud in there. Give it a couple of years after that and do the same with Clady.

IMO LOS talent should be drafted #1 like every other year. One year OL and next time DL. Keeps the talent young that way.

Br0nc0Buster
09-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Doesnt this show what kind of a joke PFF is?

According to them we had a terrible line last year
I think Walton, Franklin, and Beadles were all ranked like among the worst of their position
And Clady was garbage to according to them

All of a sudden they are among the best?

I do not think any line could effectively block for the player nicknamed "pocket sloth" and the guy who takes 8 seconds to throw like our guys were asked to do last year

Line looks good though, very happy with Franklin
Still not convinced Beadles and Walton can be long term starters, but they will have time to prove it

lonestar
09-19-2012, 10:55 AM
i never had an issue with Franklin. i don't know if it's Elway or Elway listening to his people, but dude is beastly at drafting.
it's kinda starting to freak me out with the players he's brought in in just two drafts.
i dogged that man out something fierce last season and he and Franklin have been beasts this season.

i don't know what happened to Zane, if the change in offense is helping him, studying with Manning or he just finally "gets it." but the boy has been a bad, bad man this year.

Being a third year guy having a real offseason this year to get the weight room reps in with guidance from professionals. Having a real OL coach and manning behind him have all helped.

R8R H8R
09-19-2012, 11:17 AM

It's a combo of both. To his credit, last year he put his ego aside and was willing to learn the job. He took-in tremendous input from Matt Russel, Fox, and yes, Xanders. I assure you that taking Von Miller instead of Marcell Dareous(the consensus pick) and Wolfe before all the usual suspects is because he listens to Fox & the scouts, esp on defense.

Two things: Maguzu & time. Believe me on this, Maguzu is the 2nd best OL coach the Broncos has ever had, behind Alex Gibbs, and the gap is closing.

Quoydogs
09-19-2012, 11:34 AM
I don't know about the best O-lineman but he has been pretty damn good.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=31513&stc=1&d=1348078173

and he reminds me of this dude which in one bad mother f*****er

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=31514&stc=1&d=1348079604

Drunken.Broncoholic
09-19-2012, 12:18 PM
You could cut his head off and send that head into the game and it would block a defender.

Lestat
09-19-2012, 12:21 PM
It's a combo of both. To his credit, last year he put his ego aside and was willing to learn the job. He took-in tremendous input from Matt Russel, Fox, and yes, Xanders. I assure you that taking Von Miller instead of Marcell Dareous(the consensus pick) and Wolfe before all the usual suspects is because he listens to Fox & the scouts, esp on defense.

Two things: Maguzu & time. Believe me on this, Maguzu is the 2nd best OL coach the Broncos has ever had, behind Alex Gibbs, and the gap is closing.

i know Maguzu is good, i just thought Walton and Beadles were a lost cause.
Beadles has become a beast though so far. he and Kuper will be a very nice guard tandem to go along with a very nice tackle tandem of Clady and Franklin.

i kind of figured it was a combo of both. he's been really smart in most of his decisions and has been money on them for the most part.
we just need a MLB and a DT and we'll be set on D.

srphoenix
09-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Cant wait to see Kuper back in that line, then we'll be a top 5-10 line for sure and moving upward quickly.

fontaine
09-19-2012, 12:58 PM
I've been saying this since his rookie season.

Franklin has all the tools to be a great RT. All he needs is time and experience. Even in his rookie season he had tremendous footwork/knee bend and mobility for a big guy and he steadily got better during his rookie season.

DENVERDUI55
09-19-2012, 02:29 PM
PFF isn't a valid source according to almighty REV.

maven
09-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Cant wait to see Kuper back in that line, then we'll be a top 5-10 line for sure and moving upward quickly.

when is he back?

lonestar
09-19-2012, 03:08 PM

I think Walton, Franklin, and Beadles were all ranked like among the worst of their position

I do not think any line could effectively block for the player nicknamed "pocket sloth" and the guy who takes 8 seconds to throw like our guys were asked to do last year

Still not convinced Beadles and Walton can be long term starters, but they will have time to prove it

Yet the coaching staff think otherwise.. guys that make a living at knowing talent..

now they may never be all Pro players but then most OLs do not have 5 of them on a team either..

I know I have seen significant improvement over the past two games from Beadles and in fact his blocking down field is something to write home about.. as for JD he is a work in progress .. Having to learn YET another Blocking scheme (3rd in 3 years) while calling OL blocking assignments a bit daunting for experienced guys..

I'd have loved to have Saturday come in for a the next year or so to teach the kid while he matures and gets bigger.. But that did not happen..

lonestar
09-19-2012, 03:10 PM
I've got to admit... hated when the Broncos drafted Franklin. Then, I wanted them to move him to guard. But after the first two games, he's been great at right tackle. Great pick by the Broncos, gotta give credit where credit is due.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lcSO69qyKPs/TMW-OvIonaI/AAAAAAAACGk/MOtJWm3yTeA/s1600/EatingCrow1.jpg

:thumbs:

most folks do not have the BALLS to admit they were stupid or wrong..

GoBroncos84
09-19-2012, 03:14 PM
I follow PFF on twitter, and they have mentioned how blown away they are in the improvement from Beadles and Walton so far. Both graded positive in both games so far, after being ranked amongst the worst at their positions last year. Manning definitely impacts that style wise compared to the offense we ran last year, but there has also been significant growth from them. Agreed, when Kuper gets in there for Ramirez we should be very solid up front.

ZONA
09-19-2012, 03:14 PM
I agree, when Kup comes back, things will get even better. I wish he was back next week.

The Broncos are preparing for the chance that they will once again be without nickel cornerback Chris Harris Sunday against Houston.
Harris, who sprained his ankle on Sept. 9, participated in the stretching portion of practice with his teammates Wednesday, but did conditioning work rather than participate in individual drills. Harris was inactive in Monday's game at Atlanta, and was replaced by Tony Carter.
Right guard Chris Kuper also went through on-field conditioning work in the early portion of Wednesday's practice. It was the first time Kuper has done anything during the portion of practice that is open to the media since breaking a bone in his forearm in mid-August.
Kuper has had his cast removed and is likely at least one more week away from returning to practice. His initial recovery timeline had him pegged to return in late September.

lonestar
09-19-2012, 03:15 PM

Now is I disagree with while Gibbs was the master at flim flam with the ZBS, it is not a real blocking scheme has not won any titles since ours. likely will not after PIT exposed it in the AFCCG years ago..

while it is effective outside the RZ inside it there is less room to worry about defensively and people stay at home..

Most ZBS teams use it because they have undersized OL guys and frankly they can't move the DL when they dig in.. ..

It was nice while it lasted but smoke and mirrors gets exposed deep in the playoffs when real teams meet..

lonestar
09-19-2012, 03:18 PM
I agree, when Kup comes back, things will get even better. I wish he was back next week.

The Broncos are preparing for the chance that they will once again be without nickel cornerback Chris Harris Sunday against Houston.
Harris, who sprained his ankle on Sept. 9, participated in the stretching portion of practice with his teammates Wednesday, but did conditioning work rather than participate in individual drills. Harris was inactive in Monday's game at Atlanta, and was replaced by Tony Carter.
Right guard Chris Kuper also went through on-field conditioning work in the early portion of Wednesday's practice. It was the first time Kuper has done anything during the portion of practice that is open to the media since breaking a bone in his forearm in mid-August.
Kuper has had his cast removed and is likely at least one more week away from returning to practice. His initial recovery timeline had him pegged to return in late September.

as for the OL it should be pretty damned good BUT Razor thin if anyone gets hurt could have major issues..

ZONA
09-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Now is I disagree with while Gibbs was the master at flim flam with the ZBS, it is not a real blocking scheme has not won any titles since ours. likely will not after PIT exposed it in the AFCCG years ago..

while it is effective outside the RZ inside it there is less room to worry about defensively and people stay at home..

Most ZBS teams use it because they have undersized OL guys and frankly they can't move the DL when they dig in.. ..

It was nice while it lasted but smoke and mirrors gets exposed deep in the playoffs when real teams meet..

Our effectiveness with the ZBS had many factors in addition to it. TD was a huge reason why it had so much success. Sure you had other RB's who had some good seasons with it but not nearly as dominating as it was when TD was back there. Give some credit to the runner. And having Elway back there didn't hurt things either, lol.

lonestar
09-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Our effectiveness with the ZBS had many factors in addition to it. TD was a huge reason why it had so much success. Sure you had other RB's who had some good seasons with it but not nearly as dominating as it was when TD was back there. Give some credit to the runner. And having Elway back there didn't hurt things either, lol.

Absolutely without TD, John, Rod and Eddie mac and add in Sharpe it would have never gotten off the ground and certainly would not have lasted as long as Tanahan pushed it here in town..

TheReverend
09-19-2012, 03:43 PM
PFF isn't a valid source according to almighty REV.

...this never gets creepy. Even after every thread.

gyldenlove
09-19-2012, 03:47 PM

Green Bay disagrees with you, they won with the ZBS.

lonestar
09-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Green Bay disagrees with you, they won with the ZBS.

epic fail.. :thumbs:

If so what is the size of their OL and frankly they are a passing team..

that fifty yards rushing was something to write home about..

Drunken.Broncoholic
09-19-2012, 04:03 PM
We will see first hand this weekend if the ZBS is successful

lonestar
09-19-2012, 04:05 PM

yes HOU does play it and IIRC quite well with a super talented guy..

should be interesting if we can stop them..

TheReverend
09-19-2012, 04:10 PM

I went to watch them against the Jags D on Sunday, and I'll be damned if it isn't a trip... almost exactly like watching the Broncos 10 years ago.

R8R H8R
09-19-2012, 05:10 PM
I went to watch them against the Jags D on Sunday, and I'll be damned if it isn't a trip... almost exactly like watching the Broncos 10 years ago.

Yep, except with a much better QB & defense than the Broncos had 10 yrs ago. They are close to getting scary good, but Schaub needs to stay healthy.

Drunken.Broncoholic
09-19-2012, 05:17 PM

Ya the broncos south! It's like a sister team. Bronco blood has rolled through that organization. It's hard to root against that team sometimes but dammit I'll be cussin them out this weekend

Lestat
09-19-2012, 06:21 PM
epic fail.. :thumbs:

If so what is the size of their OL and frankly they are a passing team..

that fifty yards rushing was something to write home about..

McCarthy has had the Packers using some form of ZBS since he's been the Packers coach. Jagodzinski brought it with him from the Falcons where he learned it from Gibbs. he's moved more to a no huddle up tempo pace but they still retain ZBS concepts. they also seek out ZBS one cut and go type RB's.

Bacchus
09-19-2012, 06:50 PM

I think it says more about the OL being young last year, having Tebow at QB, and them keeping the continuety together way more than anything you might read into PFF doing the analysis.

TheReverend
09-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Ya the broncos south! It's like a sister team. Bronco blood has rolled through that organization. It's hard to root against that team sometimes but dammit I'll be cussin them out this weekend

Quite frankly they play more "Broncos" than the Broncos do Ha!

Lestat
09-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Quite frankly they play more "Broncos" than the Broncos do Ha!

shush you blasphemer!

TheReverend
09-19-2012, 07:17 PM
shush you blasphemer!

I love our current team... but it's like running into your ex-girlfriend and she's doing great without you. Brings up some weird feelings

Bacchus
09-19-2012, 08:03 PM
I love our current team... but it's like running into your ex-girlfriend and she's doing great without you. Brings up some weird feelings

It's been a long road for the TExans. Kubes has been almost fired 2 years in a row until last year.

BowlenBall
09-19-2012, 08:12 PM
:thumbs:

most folks do not have the BALLS to admit they were stupid or wrong..

Thanks... I think.

http://troll.me/images/futurama-fry/not-sure-if-compliment-or-really-big-insult.jpg

Lestat
09-19-2012, 09:02 PM

i wouldn't say weird, but you always sorta hope they're doing crappy without you.

It's been a long road for the TExans. Kubes has been almost fired 2 years in a row until last year.

he's been almost fired since he became the head coach.
they were always better than their record showed and on the cusp only to not make it.

cmhargrove
10-08-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm not big on pointing out "one bad game," but Franklin got whipped most of the day yesterday. You could almost say he was playing like a Guard.

If you wanted to say that kind of thing...

To be honest, Clady didn't do a very good job either, we were bringing in Tight End help to keep Manning upright. I'm a little concerned about Clady's feet recently. Oh well, I just hope we keep it together, and we certainly don't have any other options at this point. It's just that our Tackles got bullied pretty good yesterday, and I didn't expect that against New England's "no name" defensive ends.

BroncoBen
10-08-2012, 09:33 AM

Yep... I got some grief on the board because I posted that John Madden at the end of last season had the Broncos offensive line in his top 5.

Play2win
10-08-2012, 09:41 AM
I'm not big on pointing out "one bad game," but Franklin got whipped most of the day yesterday. You could almost say he was playing like a Guard.

If you wanted to say that kind of thing...

To be honest, Clady didn't do a very good job either, we were bringing in Tight End help to keep Manning upright. I'm a little concerned about Clady's feet recently. Oh well, I just hope we keep it together, and we certainly don't have any other options at this point. It's just that our Tackles got bullied pretty good yesterday, and I didn't expect that against New England's "no name" defensive ends.

It will be interesting to see how NE plays the rest of the year. They could just be waking up. Once we get Kupes back in there, the whole line is twice as good.

cmhargrove
10-08-2012, 10:00 AM
It will be interesting to see how NE plays the rest of the year. They could just be waking up. Once we get Kupes back in there, the whole line is twice as good.

Kuper will definitely make us better, and Ramirez' time staring is a huge plus for depth. However, the issue yesterday was our Tackles not being able to handle fast edge rushers. Kuper won't help that.

Unfortunately, it means that we might even have a difficult time protecting Manning against Kansas City's edge rushers. Clady historically has his worst games against Hali, and Houston certainly looks too fast for Franklin at this point. Hopefully, we get this fixed asap.

Play2win
10-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Kuper will definitely make us better, and Ramirez' time staring is a huge plus for depth. However, the issue yesterday was our Tackles not being able to handle fast edge rushers. Kuper won't help that.

Unfortunately, it means that we might even have a difficult time protecting Manning against Kansas City's edge rushers. Clady historically has his worst games against Hali, and Houston certainly looks too fast for Franklin at this point. Hopefully, we get this fixed asap.

I think the dude is just finally getting fully healed.

cmhargrove
10-08-2012, 11:07 AM
I think the dude is just finally getting fully healed.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but if he wasn't "fully healed" a year ago, this is what he is. There is no more "healing" to be done after two and a half years. From this point, it is only his individual training regimen that will make any difference.

ZONA
10-08-2012, 11:41 AM
You will never have a steel curtain. The OL played well enough to win that game yesterday. McGahee had huge chunks, Manning had a ton of yards passing. Make no mistake, the only reason we lose that game is our turnovers and our 3rd down play by the defense.

In other words, we beat ourselves. Turnovers on offense and sloppy tackling, bad angles, bad reads whatever you want to call it on 3rd down defense, all adjectives would work.

enjolras
10-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Yep.. this team has real turnover issues. Against both Atlanta and New England we gave up any shot of winning with awful turnovers at really bad times. Last week against Oakland we gave up 7 points with a turnover.

This week we gave up between 13 and 21 points:

Thomas's fumble was well within field goal range.
McGahee's fumble was a chip-shot field goal.
Manning's fumble gave the Pats 7 easy points.

In two losses critical turnovers have been the difference in the game. Our defense doesn't force many and our offense coughs the ball up far too often.

The good news is, those are things that will get better. This is the first time Thomas has consistently gotten the ball in space and he honestly looks like the raw prospect he is. I'm confident he'll learn ball security and put this behind him. If no one else but him gets better, we're at least 3-2 at this point.

Play2win
10-08-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but if he wasn't "fully healed" a year ago, this is what he is. There is no more "healing" to be done after two and a half years. From this point, it is only his individual training regimen that will make any difference.

it was a nasty injury for an OLman...

My hope are high... some things take time... yes, that much time.