PDA

View Full Version : NYT: With replacement officials is nfl making a mockery of the game?

Chris
09-18-2012, 08:42 AM
It’s not working. Anyone who watched the Falcons-Broncos game on Monday night could see that. The replacement officials are not at fault; the N.F.L. has put them in an almost impossible situation.

Michael David Smith of ProFootballTalk.com wrote:

There’s no sugar-coating it: The replacement officials working Monday Night Football are an embarrassment. In an ugly first quarter that lasted a full hour, the officials showed themselves to be completely incapable of keeping a game moving and keeping up with the fast-paced, stressful job that is officiating in the NFL.
Bill Polian, the ESPN analyst and former Colts executive, said the game was “chaotic.”

Trent Dilfer, the ESPN analyst and former quarterback, described the situation as “out of control,” saying the N.F.L. was hypocritical for talking up player safety measures while using replacement officials who could put players in danger.

The former 49ers star Steve Young, who joined Polian and Dilfer in ESPN’s postgame analysis (in the YouTube video at top), said the N.F.L. “doesn’t care” because fans will watch no matter what.

More here...

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/18/with-replacement-refs-is-n-f-l-making-mockery-of-the-game/

lolcopter
09-18-2012, 08:47 AM
A disgrace to the game.

Smiling Assassin27
09-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Without a doubt.

Rohirrim
09-18-2012, 08:56 AM
This will be a major test of Goodell's leadership. If he can't deal with it, the owners have to start looking for somebody who will. The NFL is becoming an embarrassment.

Chris
09-18-2012, 08:58 AM
As the storm rages regarding the replacement officials and the NFL wagons continue to circle tightly, Eagles running back LeSean McCoy has pried open the latest can of worms in this never ending conundrum.

McCoy told 94WIP in Philly that, during Sunday’s win over the Ravens, a replacement official told McCoy, “I need you for my fantasy team.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/18/lesean-mccoy-replacement-ref-said-i-need-you-for-my-fantasy-team/

The replacement officials in the Monday Night Football game between the Atlanta Falcons and Denver Broncos exhibited the usual blend of Three Stooges hi-jinks and Keystone Kops "kraziness" -- though they were not nearly as humorous in either case. Several delays stretched the game beyond the breaking point of patience, but the two most embarrassing instances of officiating misconduct came in cases where nobody on the crew, led by referee Ken Roan, quite understood just how the ball should be spotted after a penalty.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/officials-fail-miserably-penalty-spots-falcons-broncos-game-041656126--nfl.html

go_broncos
09-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Worst thing to happen to NFL is Roger Goodell.

Irish Stout
09-18-2012, 09:04 AM
For whatever its worth, I came upon this today: http://www.change.org/petitions/nfl-commissioner-bring-back-the-real-referees

I signed the petition and have been passing it around. I think if a lot of fans can take a few minutes to sign a petition like this and Goodell takes notice of the fan position... well it can't hurt. Probably won't help.

Br0nc0Buster
09-18-2012, 09:20 AM
They are an embarrasment

And I have not seen a team get shafted the way we did in a while

Kaylore
09-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Worst thing to happen to NFL is Roger Goodell.

Thanks for the Waltonism, Denethor.

I will say I have no idea what the total amount of money the NFL is locking the officials out over, but it certainly doesn't seem like it's worth destroying their product for.

Chris
09-18-2012, 09:26 AM
#NFLfail is officially a thing on twitter now

http://twitter.com/#!/search/?q=%23NFLFail&src=hash

Drunken.Broncoholic
09-18-2012, 09:31 AM
I kept on watching the entire game. But I know a lot of people turned it off, not because the broncos dug a big hole, but cause the refs looked inept

Stan
09-18-2012, 09:31 AM
If you haven't yet, watch the video in the link. Steve Young hit the nail on the head. The bottom line is the NFL doesn't care. We can all bitch and moan about what a travesty last night's officiating was but when it comes down to it are any of us not going to watch the Broncos this coming Sunday because of it? It is almost the opposite. I think some are going to watch other games just to see how awful they are. The NFL knows that this is not going to cost them anything monetarily other than the embarrassment of having to downplay how horrid it has been. They have decided to break the refs' union and I don't see them backing down anytime soon.

Beantown Bronco
09-18-2012, 09:54 AM
I kept on watching the entire game. But I know a lot of people turned it off, not because the broncos dug a big hole, but cause the refs looked inept

I was one of them. Tough to stay up on the East Coast when the game stunk, the refs were worse, and the first quarter didn't end until after 9:30 because of all the delays. I made it until halftime and then tapped out.

Drunken.Broncoholic
09-18-2012, 10:04 AM
I was one of them. Tough to stay up on the East Coast when the game stunk, the refs were worse, and the first quarter didn't end until after 9:30 because of all the delays. I made it until halftime and then tapped out.

It's gotta be tough out there. I've never had to deal with prime time games starting that late. Just like it probably would feel weird for you watching football on Sunday while eating breakfast. Ha!

Rock Chalk
09-18-2012, 10:09 AM
The first quarter took an hour. A ****ing hour. I was irritated at the turnovers but I was more irritated that the flow of the game absolutely sucked ass.

A football game, with commercials and halftime should NEVER take more than 3 hours (sans overtime).