PDA

View Full Version : D played out of their minds

Doggcow
09-17-2012, 10:23 PM
They definitely played an awesome game. Not much more they could do when there was a flag every good defensive stop.

Awesome game D.

We have a really good team. We are definitely one of the best in the NFL.

Out of Conference at least.

Jekyll15Hyde
09-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Except they cant get any pass rush without blitzing. That aint gonna work if we want to go anywhere this year

TD4HOF
09-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Right on. Would like to see more pass rush from others not named Von.

spdirty
09-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Didn't get any turnovers. Rahim Moore could have won the game for us had he not dropped those...anyway, they were much better than I expected. We are in good shape.

The Joker
09-17-2012, 10:28 PM
If Dumervil would be so good as to remove his head from his ass we might start to look really good.

I think we should seriously consider trading for a good linebacker too. They can't cover at all, receivers were wide open down the middle of the field all day.

Run defense is very good though, that's been really encouraging so far. Big test for them against the Texans though.

maher_tyler
09-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Pass D and getting some pressure are the only things I see that need to get better. Why does Doom line up so wide?

Doggcow
09-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Didn't get any turnovers. Rahim Moore could have won the game for us had he not dropped those...anyway, they were much better than I expected. We are in good shape.

We had what? 3 Dropped Pick 6's? We just couldn't buy a break. Emphasis on buying breaks tonight, because the new refs are for sale.

maher_tyler
09-17-2012, 10:32 PM
Also, DBs need to make a play when the ball hits them in the hands...

Bacchus
09-17-2012, 10:32 PM
The defense played a great game. With 4 turnovers one at the one yard line and only giving up 27 points is a hell of an effort.

go_broncos
09-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Great effort..It's our offense and Refs that caused this loss

Jekyll15Hyde
09-17-2012, 10:33 PM
The other thing I didnt like was knowing all week that Ryan was going to run no-huddle most of the game, there was no attempt to do any pre-snap shifting to not let him have a clean read of what we are doing. Obviously it worked well against our no huddle

Broncos_OTM
09-17-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm proud of our guys. put up a good fight. pissed off but proud

bpc
09-17-2012, 10:35 PM
We lost but left too many plays on the field. Like where we're heading and an early season loss puts over confidence in check early. Hopefully this better prepares us to beat Houston which will have playoff implications.

Lycan
09-17-2012, 10:50 PM
No pass rush outside of Miller, can't cover TE's to save their lives and no turnovers.

They played okay considering the turnovers early, but definitely not "out of their minds".

Doggcow
09-17-2012, 10:53 PM
No pass rush outside of Miller, can't cover TE's to save their lives and no turnovers.

They played okay considering the turnovers early, but definitely not "out of their minds".

The D played well enough that if either the fumble, or the bad PI call, were called correctly, we win a game with a -3(or -4) turnover ratio. Against a very good offense.

That's out of their minds.

SoCalBronco
09-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Doom is still largely invisible and the loss of Warren forced them to push Methwolfe inside. He's clearly more comfortable at DE.

Bigdawg26
09-17-2012, 10:55 PM
I think Porter might have dropped a pick 6 too. I defense did pretty well, but you can't win with 4 turnovers and horrible ref's.

Doggcow
09-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Doom is still largely invisible and the loss of Warren forced them to push Methwolfe inside. He's clearly more comfortable at DE.

Yeah. Our DLine is weak... Still played pretty well. We really need someone that can collapse the pocket.

BowlenBall
09-17-2012, 10:57 PM

Great insight there, SoCal -- MethWolfe is much more impactful at the DE position, he was getting owned when playing in the middle tonight. Just don't think he quite has enough mass to be effective there (maybe next year, but not yet).

NFLBRONCO
09-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Moore and Adams SUCKED and our D isn't good enough to have no show Doom.

sgbfan
09-17-2012, 11:00 PM
I can't tell if our pass D is bad or the teams we played are really good. There was no time to get a pass rush most of the time, and the receivers were catching everything tonight.

Action
09-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Defense played very well against a team that simply doesn't like to turn the ball over. Wouldn't say great (considering Moore dropped that int TD)...

That Tony Carter PI really ****ed **** up in my opinion... perfect coverage.

THis is the run defense everyone is asking for and IMO, the type of run defense you need to be elite in the league. We're stopping the run without overloading anyone in the box, which is exactly how the Niners play. This IS the 1st step to becoming a dominate defense.

Moore needs to read plays a bit quicker but hopefully this comes with time.

I'm not sure what happened there on the last 3rd down conversion... It was either man or cover 2 that's it so someone blew the coverage... I think Tony Carter was supposed to be trailing Julio but I could be wrong. No one was in the vicinity of where he caught the ball, Moore had to come in at the last minute (which is why I thought it was a man with safety help).

Doggcow
09-17-2012, 11:07 PM
Defense played very well against a team that simply doesn't like to turn the ball over. Wouldn't say great (considering Moore dropped that int TD)...

That Tony Carter PI really ****ed **** up in my opinion... perfect coverage.

THis is the run defense everyone is asking for and IMO, the type of run defense you need to be elite in the league. We're stopping the run without overloading anyone in the box, which is exactly how the Niners play. This IS the 1st step to becoming a dominate defense.

Moore needs to read plays a bit quicker but hopefully this comes with time.

I'm not sure what happened there on the last 3rd down conversion... It was either man or cover 2 that's it so someone blew the coverage... I think Tony Carter was supposed to be trailing Julio but I could be wrong. No one was in the vicinity of where he caught the ball, Moore had to come in at the last minute (which is why I thought it was a man with safety help).

I hope no one is putting that last play on Moore. He was definitely not the person supposed to be on Julio. Surprised he was almost close enough to make the play.

Action
09-17-2012, 11:14 PM
I hope no one is putting that last play on Moore. He was definitely not the person supposed to be on Julio. Surprised he was almost close enough to make the play.

Exactly, the only thing he could have done better there was go high and drive him back... that wasn't his man so can't really blame him.

Doggcow
09-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Exactly, the only thing he could have done better there was go high and drive him back... that wasn't his man so can't really blame him.

If he goes high he gets fined and flagged...

BroncoMan4ever
09-17-2012, 11:29 PM

Moore had at least 3 in his grasp, Porter had 2. Get 2 of those possible picks and this game looks completely different

Action
09-17-2012, 11:29 PM
If he goes high he gets fined and flagged...

Yeah, it's retarded but you have to tackle with a technique that drives the runner back to really be a physical team. Moore has improved immensely in his tackling no doubt... he goes for the legs/feet all the time now.

Vegas_Bronco
09-17-2012, 11:43 PM

This...we dropped 2 last week and 3the this week...they suck at catching even for a defensive claw.

maven
09-17-2012, 11:45 PM
I think DJ will be a big help when he returns.

bombquixote
09-18-2012, 12:25 AM
Agree that we need better coverage. But as far as getting better pressure, Atlanta's game plan was for Ryan to get the ball out of his hands QUICKLY, and he did a great job. Another half-second on most of those drop backs and either Doom or Von would've been there nearly every time. I think we'll see some real pressure when we play a team that relies more heavily on five-step drops.

pricejj
09-18-2012, 12:53 AM

The loss of Warren enables the OL to double team either Miller or Dumervil, which gives us no pass rush on 1st or 2nd down...

Wolfe was able to collapse the pocket from the UT position...so not sure what you're talking about.

SoCalBronco
09-18-2012, 12:59 AM
The loss of Warren enables the OL to double team either Miller or Dumervil, which gives us no pass rush on 1st or 2nd down...

Wolfe was able to collapse the pocket from the UT position...so not sure what you're talking about.

I'll go back and rewatch the film later but I didn't see the pocket getting collapsed from the inside hardly at all. Miller was the only one getting any kind of push and it was obviously off the edge. Methwolfe is obviously a better run defender than pass rusher at this point, but I think his pass rushing abilities are nonetheless better showcased at end so far....a luxury that we apparently can no longer afford.

pricejj
09-18-2012, 01:00 AM
The D played well enough that if either the fumble, or the bad PI call, were called correctly, we win a game with a -3(or -4) turnover ratio. Against a very good offense.

That's out of their minds.

This.

Matt Ryan's No-Huddle is no joke. That is a top 7 (or better) NFL Offense, that the Defense basically held to 20 points.

And yes, we did collapse the pocket...Matt Ryan got rid of the ball real quick like. He had hands in his face, and was hit often.

pricejj
09-18-2012, 01:07 AM
I'll go back and rewatch the film later but I didn't see the pocket getting collapsed from the inside hardly at all. Miller was the only one getting any kind of push and it was obviously off the edge. Methwolfe is obviously a better run defender than pass rusher at this point, but I think his pass rushing abilities are nonetheless better showcased at end so far....a luxury that we apparently can no longer afford.

Losing Warren gives the Broncos a fairly average DL, but they actually still do get a lot of pressure for just rushing 4. Matt Ryan is just good.

I would like to see more production out of Dumervil, and Wolfe...this is something the will have to work out, or they won't win the Super bowl...I don't see how JDR can expect any production out of Wolfe, by playing him every single snap. The guy needs to play passing situations at UT...or forget about it. WAY overutilized for a 22-year old on the DL.

I don't remember seeing any blitzes, nor any disguises. JDR ain't no Nolan, but I don't mind that. Falcons are top flight, and we were a couple of bad calls from winning in the Georgia Dome.

BowlenBall
09-18-2012, 01:22 AM
This.

Matt Ryan's No-Huddle is no joke. That is a top 7 (or better) NFL Offense, that the Defense basically held to 20 points.

And yes, we did collapse the pocket...Matt Ryan got rid of the ball real quick like. He had hands in his face, and was hit often.

Maybe you're right, but people were also saying "Rapelisberger is just a great QB" after he owned us on third down last week.

Just to be preemptive, which of the following quarterbacks/offenses are also top 7 (or better) in the rest of our schedule?

Week 3: Houston Texans (Matt Schaub)
Week 4: Oakland Raiders (Carson Palmer)
Week 5: New England Patriots (Tom Brady)
Week 6: San Diego Chargers (Phylis Rivers)
Week 7: BYE
Week 8: New Orleans Saints (Drew Brees)
Week 9: Cincinnati Bengals (Andy Dalton)
Week 10: Carolina Panthers (Cam Newton)
Week 11: San Diego Chargers (Phylis Rivers)
Week 12: Kansas City Chiefs (Matt Cassel)
Week 13: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Josh Freeman)
Week 14: Oakland Raiders (Carson Palmer)
Week 15: Baltimore Ravens (Joe Flacco)
Week 16: Cleveland Browns (Brandon Weeden)
Week 17: Kansas City Chiefs (Matt Cassel)

Vegas_Bronco
09-18-2012, 01:39 AM
There is always an escape lane to the left in our pass rush...both ben and matt were stepping out of pressure to their left. We did a good job controlling their offense and i like our chances in a repeat.

Ziggy
09-18-2012, 01:48 AM
Rather than start another thread, I'll just post this in here:

How the D ranks after 2 weeks:

Total Yards: 8th
Rushing Yards: 9th
Yards per Carry: 2nd
Passing Yards: 9th
Yards per Catch: 5th
Sacks: 6th
Scoring: 16th
3rd Down %- 28th

We are -4 on the turnover ratio as well, which is a big reason why the Broncos are 16th in scoring defense. Overall, I think Del Rio has done a good job handling a defense that has huge problems at LB and safety. For some reason, Doom has gone MIA. Von Miller is no longer a superstar in the making. He's a superstar. If we can get him any help at all in the pass rush department he may break 20 sacks this season. His talent and Del Rio's schemes will only be able to cover for Joe Mays and Rahim Moore for so long. Wolfe was invisible in this game, not even registering a tackle. I'm not a fan of sitting back in a soft zone and not blitzing most of the time in passing situations. I think it's a big factor in our 28th ranking on 3rd downs. JDR is going to have to find a way to get this team off of the field on 3rd downs. Losing Ty Warren was a big blow once again. Someone needs to step up in the middle of that Dline. Love or hate DJ Williams, he's the best linebacker on this team not named Von Miller, and will improve this D if he gets back on the field.

Punisher
09-18-2012, 03:17 AM
Agree Defense did one hell of a job

Action
09-18-2012, 03:20 AM
Just watched that last play on 3rd down again... blown coverage by Tony Carter.... stayed in zone when it was supposed to be man.

ward63
09-18-2012, 06:01 AM
Del Rio has abandoned just about any blitz the last 6 quarters. Doing stunts with your front 4 is not going to cut it in the NFL. The refs did not help and obviously the hole we dug initially was not good at all.

go_broncos
09-18-2012, 06:08 AM
One play..if the defense had stopped it...I am sure we would have won the game.
It's the offense that was the problem..
I feel our team really struggle to score points during the initial part of the game.
The same happened last year also.
Need to change that..Have to score early..

Garcia Bronco
09-18-2012, 06:22 AM
Run D played great and the O got it together in the 4th. We were down 20 to zip and could have one the game at that end. I am not discouraged at all.

pricejj
09-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Maybe you're right, but people were also saying "Rapelisberger is just a great QB" after he owned us on third down last week.

Rapelisberger is an elite QB...we won. Matty Ice in the Georgia Dome was 26-6...we almost won (against 4 TO's, and 3 blown calls (fumble, PI, defensive holding).

The Defense was basically missing 4 starters (Williams, Hunter, Warren, Harris).

I figured that pass rush on 1st and 2nd down was going to be a problem, going into the game...not sure how it gets fixed with this team...but it seems like we're close.

pricejj
09-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Don't get it twisted, Manning made horrible decisions on those 3 interceptions, putting us in a huge hole.

Throwing into triple coverage when their are guys open underneath is dumb. Manning should have huddled early, and went no-huddle as we became acclimated to what they were doing defensively.

Stan
09-18-2012, 10:06 AM
I guess I don't understand all the hate on Moore in this game. At some point though he has got to start making the great play instead of almost making it. My only overall concern with the D in this game was the overall lack of any real pass rush. Ryan was only hurried a couple of times the whole game. I don't think last week was a whole lot better save for the last drive. I felt like Mike Nolan was the difference in this game. Atlanta did some things on D that Denver just wasn't prepared for.

CEH
09-18-2012, 10:11 AM
13 points off 4 turnovers with one a 7 point gimme is pretty encouraging

Jekyll15Hyde
09-18-2012, 10:32 AM

Doom is practically never getting double teamed and is not getting pressure. His actual salary is top 5 in the entire league this year....

That One Guy
09-18-2012, 10:42 AM
LOL @ "Played out of their minds"

They were decent but ATL basically coasted offensively for most of the game. They never had much success rushing the ball yet did it repeatedly - probably because they knew the only way the Broncos were likely getting back in the game was turnovers.

It sounds like Doom is giving up the pass rush to play the run.

None of the DBs can catch an INT.

Check that, none of the D is forcing turnovers of any sort.

Guys are continually left wide open in what appears to be confusion on assignments.

So, aside from the DL doing a pretty good job of containing a predictable run game (until it absolutely mattered, of course), what in the world did they do that was out of their minds? The fact that ATL didn't score a lot of points probably had something to do with the fact that the Broncos didn't have many points for 3 quarters so ATL didn't need to score. It seemed when we moved the ball and they needed to move the ball (basically just 3rd quarter), they moved the ball.

Bigdawg26
09-18-2012, 10:45 AM

I thought Wolfe had a good game considering, he is what he is. He's a big body that can collapse the pocket and stuff the run (the same as J.J. in houston, Justin Smith, Kevin Williams early in his career, Richard Seymour, and Will Smith at this point of his career). He's not a 10 sack kind of guy, but maybe a 5-7 sacks.

Also, people are ridding Moore about his tackling, but he is a small guy. He's doesn't have the size of Dawkins. Yeah he tackles low right now, but he's bringing guys down. He's tackling has improved since last year because at least he's bringing guys down.

cabronco
09-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Doom is practically never getting double teamed and is not getting pressure. His actual salary is top 5 in the entire league this year....

Well that is depressing..Like someone already mentioned, he looks slow and out of shape. Usually the start of a new season you're fresh and ready to go, barring any injury. I hope this is just a slow start and he picks up traction.

edog24
09-18-2012, 10:54 AM
I thought our secondary played great. We had to deal with Roddy White, Jones and Gonzales, with an accurate qb and on short fields most of the time. Two years ago this would have been a 3-4 score blowout.

Dedhed
09-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Just watched that last play on 3rd down again... blown coverage by Tony Carter.... stayed in zone when it was supposed to be man.

Carter was hands down the weak link on the defense last night. Losing Harris had a major impact on this game.

Action
09-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Carter was hands down the weak link on the defense last night. Losing Harris had a major impact on this game.

Carter played fine. He was tight on coverage, and to have someone like him come in due to injury is encouraging. The weak link was the pass rush.

Porter gave up more yardage than Carter folks.

NFLBRONCO
09-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Atl played super conservative in 2nd half for whatever reason that kept this game close and made the D look alot better.

Action
09-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Atl played super conservative in 2nd half for whatever reason that kept this game close and made the D look alot better.
.... so now that we actually can stop the run on a consistent basis so teams can't play this milk man ball on us, people still won't give Denver credit?

Ziggy
09-18-2012, 02:10 PM

So our 4th corner was the weak link on defense? Seems acceptable to me, though I'd still say that Joe Mays and Rahim Moore were worse. That touchdown to Gonzalez was a perfect example of why Mays needs to be taken off of the field. He just let him run right by while he stood and tried to locate the ball.

Action
09-18-2012, 02:12 PM
So our 4th corner was the weak link on defense? Seems acceptable to me, though I'd still say that Joe Mays and Rahim Moore were worse. That touchdown to Gonzalez was a perfect example of why Mays needs to be taken off of the field. He just let him run right by while he stood and tried to locate the ball.

We have no idea the play call on that... so to blame Mays is ridiculous on that play.

BroncoFanDoug
09-18-2012, 02:59 PM
13 points off 4 turnovers with one a 7 point gimme is pretty encouraging

This.

Atlanta is a top tier offense and they were playing at home. And we in effect held them to 20 points even while we provided them excellent field position throughout the evening through turnovers.

I read some of the posts and I get the idea that unless the other team gets zero yards that we are not any good. Yes the LBs are only good not great (although a lot of youth). Yes Doom seems mia. Yes I would love to have a monster in the middle of the DL.

But I look at what we have done in the last 2 weeks against killer offenses, and I say bravo! We have ourselves a top 10 D.