PDA

View Full Version : "The Best OL Peyton Manning has ever had."

Bacchus
09-16-2012, 04:28 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/atlanta-falcons/0ap2000000061575/Playbook-Broncos-vs-Falcons

Well, his lines in Indy were always "underrated" and maybe in reality they just were not that good. I know in 2010 his line was horrible and he was getting blitzed up the middle constantly.

The Joker
09-16-2012, 05:49 AM
Let's see how they do over the year before we get too carried away.

Looking forward to getting Kuper back in there. Ramirez seems to be doing well enough in his place but obviously Kuper at 100% will be a real upgrade.

There's certainly a lot of talent on our line, the question is whether or not Beadles, Walton and Franklin can realise their potentials. All three were highly rated prospects coming ur of college. If those three can work out it'll be massive for Peyton's chances of winning a Superbowl in Denver.

Bacchus
09-16-2012, 06:31 AM
Let's see how they do over the year before we get too carried away.

Looking forward to getting Kuper back in there. Ramirez seems to be doing well enough in his place but obviously Kuper at 100% will be a real upgrade.

There's certainly a lot of talent on our line, the question is whether or not Beadles, Walton and Franklin can realise their potentials. All three were highly rated prospects coming ur of college. If those three can work out it'll be massive for Peyton's chances of winning a Superbowl in Denver.

Yeah I agree, I was just surprised when they said that. You do have to admit this OL is young, big and, mobile. They will improve maybe more than any unit as the year goes on.

Drek
09-16-2012, 06:37 AM
Yeah I agree, I was just surprised when they said that. You do have to admit this OL is young, big and, mobile. They will improve maybe more than any unit as the year goes on.

They also just got their first real off-season of coaching together, and for Beadles, Walton, and Franklin it's their first real off-season of coaching period.

Add a QB who's pre-snap calls give them a major edge and you've got a recipe for the Broncos OL to take a big step forward.

Garcia Bronco
09-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Peytonmakeseverybodybetter

AmericanBroncFan
09-16-2012, 07:23 AM
This is the best Oline and WR's he's ever played with. He's never had a Clady or a D. Thomas. Lets be honest here. If the colts weren't a food stamp franchise Manning would have 4 or 5 rings instead of just 1.

bowtown
09-16-2012, 07:26 AM
This is the best Oline and WR's he's ever played with. He's never had a Clady or a D. Thomas. Lets be honest here. If the colts weren't a food stamp franchise Manning would have 4 or 5 rings instead of just 1.

Sorry no

Harrison, Wayne > Thomas, Decker

AmericanBroncFan
09-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Sorry no

Harrison nd wayne are little girls compared to the size of Decker/Thomas

Br0nc0Buster
09-16-2012, 07:33 AM
Considering how bad his lines were in Indy it was not much of a stretch to say this is his best line

Best running game since Edge

Best defense as well

Overall this is definitely the best team he has been on in a while, if not ever

bowtown
09-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Harrison nd aayne are little girls compared to the size of Decker/Thomas

Size does not always equal better.

AmericanBroncFan
09-16-2012, 07:48 AM
Size does not always equal better.

Is that what your wife says to make you feel better? Hilarious!

colts are a food stamp organization. If Manning played in his prime with targets like Thomas and Decker while having lineman like Clady he would've won 4 rings if not more

errand
09-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Sorry no

Well you're basing this on the fact that the Colts pair have played almost their entire career with Manning as their QB...and Thomas/Decker have not....

I think that Thomas and Decker will put up similar numbers now that they're playing with Manning....

In Wayne's last season with Manning, he had 111 receptions for 1355 yards and 6 TD's....without Manning his numbers became more pedestrian with 75 for 960 with 4 TD's....on a team that was behind almost every minute of every game last year. Not saying he's not a talented WR...just pointing out that the quality of play from the QB position matters more than people think.

Decker had 22 receptions in 5 games with Orton as his QB...and 22 in 11 games with Tebow....he's on pace for 80 receptions for 864 yards now that his QB is much better than the guys he's had before. Again the quality of play from QB matters...and Peyton plays the QB position at a very high level.

Karenin
09-16-2012, 09:35 AM

WTF is this ****? Did you just compare two likely Hall of Famers (Harrison and Wayne) to ****ing Eric Decker and Demaryius Thomas? Stop now, you're embarrassing yourself.

AmericanBroncFan
09-16-2012, 09:52 AM
WTF is this ****? Did you just compare two likely Hall of Famers (Harrison and Wayne) to ****ing Eric Decker and Demaryius Thomas? Stop now, you're embarrassing yourself.

As targets for an accurate QB, BIGGER is BETTER. They are nowhere near career totals and won't be when Manning retires but as far as TARGETS, Manning has never had these types.

DENVERDUI55
09-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Sorry no

Agreed plus Stokes was in his prime.

barryr
09-16-2012, 09:55 AM
It probably is since Saturday was really only the higher level OL that Manning had with the Colts. The rest were just average guys it seemed. The year the Colts won the Super Bowl, their starting OL was Glenn, Gandy, Saturday, Scott, and Diem. Glenn had his moments here and there and actually that year was his last in the NFL, and other than Saturday, the rest are really nothing to get excited about. The Broncos have better personnel compared to what the Colts had at OL.

AmericanBroncFan
09-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Agreed plus Stokes was in his prime.

If Manning had big targets like Thomas to throw to in his prime he would have more than 1 ring.

Hamrob
09-16-2012, 10:09 AM
I do believe that this line is the best that Manning has ever had. This board doesn't see the talent...because its used to watching Kyle "sloth" Orton, and Tim "10 second" Tebow.

I like everyone of our guys up front, and then add to that Kuper and Koppen....this line is absolutely terrific. While watching the Bears game the other night, I could not wonder what Cutler's thoughts are about the line he had in Denver vs. the one he has had in Chicago. Night and Day difference.

I happen to believe that Thomas/Decker are equally as talented as Harrision/Wayne...but they have miles to walk before they can be compared equally.

SportinOne
09-16-2012, 10:15 AM
See errand's post above.. Do you really think harrison and wayne woulda had those numbers with a lesser qb? They were very good, but Peyton made them elite. All you saw was sportscenter and "starvin marvin" runnin down the field for a touchdown but after watching how peyton works its pretty obvious that he was the one responsible for 99% of making that happen. All harrison had to do was run down the field and make a catch on a perfectly thrown ball. Peyton is playing chess out there. He was the colts. He was probably calling plays on defense too when he thought a certain play may indirectly influence the other head coaches thought process. Hes out there playing god damn chess and you want to call Reggie Wayne a hall of famer. Jesus christ. Has Reggie Wayne ever had a single play as impressive as DTs screen TD last week?

AmericanBroncFan
09-16-2012, 10:20 AM
See errand's post above.. Do you really think harrison and wayne woulda had those numbers with a lesser qb? They were very good, but Peyton made them elite. All you saw was sportscenter and "starvin marvin" runnin down the field for a touchdown but after watching how peyton works its pretty obvious that he was the one responsible for 99% of making that happen. All harrison had to do was run down the field and make a catch on a perfectly thrown ball. Peyton is playing chess out there. He was the colts. He was probably calling plays on defense too when he thought a certain play may indirectly influence the other head coaches thought process. Hes out there playing god damn chess and you want to call Reggie Wayne a hall of famer. Jesus christ. Has Reggie Wayne ever had a single play as impressive as DTs screen TD last week?

:thumbsup:

DENVERDUI55
09-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Has Reggie Wayne ever had a single play as impressive as DTs screen TD last week?

Your a Bronco fan right? He had several in a playoff game couple years ago against Denver.

Nwp-Apap
09-16-2012, 10:29 AM

This. A thousand times over, this. Manning made his receivers.

AmericanBroncFan
09-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Your a Bronco fan right? He had several in a playoff game couple years ago against Denver.

Wayne is nothing without Manning. Wayne was being covered by Dre Bly so that should'nt count as making plays. haha

Rock Chalk
09-16-2012, 10:59 AM

Your premise that you can't compare our WRs to Harrison and Wayne is accurate.

But there is no ****ing way in hell either are Hall of Fame bound.

Old Dude
09-16-2012, 11:00 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Walton replaced by mid-season.

Lestat
09-16-2012, 11:35 AM
i would agree that this is the best WR group he's had in terms of size and catch radius. their size can erase a lot of mistakes, granted that Manning doesn't make many as a passer.

but a lot of seasons have to pass before the claim can be made that this is the best group he's had overall. Manning had 3 1,000 WR's in Indy with that record season he had.

if Caldwell can step it up and add to our depth and talent then yes as a group in terms of overall depth it would be the best he's had.
though it wouldn't shock me to see the front office draft a WR early next season to add to the weapons for Manning.

extralife
09-16-2012, 03:52 PM
this might be the most homer thread I've ever seen

ERIC DECKER IS BETTER THAN MARVIN HARRISON LOOK HE'S GOT LIKE AN INCH AND A HALF IN HEIGHT ON HIM THAT **** IS UNREAL HEY I BET IF WE SIGN THE BIG SHOW FROM WWE WE'LL BE UNSTOPPABLE

Agamemnon
09-16-2012, 03:55 PM
His lines generally were kind of bad in Indy. So yeah our line is probably an upgrade. It should be noted that Walton and Beadles actually looked like quality starters last game, in both the run and the pass.

Agamemnon
09-16-2012, 03:57 PM

ERIC DECKER IS BETTER THAN MARVIN HARRISON LOOK HE'S GOT LIKE AN INCH AND A HALF IN HEIGHT ON HIM THAT **** IS UNREAL HEY I BET IF WE SIGN THE BIG SHOW FROM WWE WE'LL BE UNSTOPPABLE

The truth is that we really don't know how good Decker and Thomas can be. They're just now coming into third season which is usually when young receivers really hit their stride.

Lycan
09-16-2012, 03:58 PM

http://www.wrestlescoop.com/animated_gifs/big_show_suck_it.gif

Bacchus
09-16-2012, 04:00 PM

I recognize that dance, is that Marcus Thomas?

DENVERDUI55
09-16-2012, 04:05 PM
:blueflameWayne is nothing without Manning. Wayne was being covered by Dre Bly so that should'nt count as making plays. haha

Are you sure that it wasn't Roc Alexadander? Are you as sure as I am that Denver never made the playoffs with Bly as a CB? I take your takes as BS because of your above statement.

R8R H8R
09-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Sorry no

At their peak, you may be right, but DT & Decker have just scatched the surface. DT is so unique in his speed/size that he gives PM a deminsion he hasn't had.

bowtown
09-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Wayne is nothing without Manning. Wayne was being covered by Dre Bly so that should'nt count as making plays. haha

You mean like this year, when he's a top 5 receiver with a rookie QB so far?

Punisher
09-16-2012, 05:09 PM
I know Clady is the best LT Manning ever played with

maven
09-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Sanchez with a Tebow like pass. Jets fell back to earth today.

maven
09-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Tebow blockin hard on punt coverage.

Br0nc0Buster
09-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Wayne and Harrison were studs
Wayne still is

Decker and Thomas are not on that level and prolly never will be
But they are still very talented and are more than good enough to be factors

Thomas especially has the chance to be an elite player

gyldenlove
09-16-2012, 06:51 PM
I know Clady is the best LT Manning ever played with

That is true.

gyldenlove
09-16-2012, 06:57 PM
This team has some way to go to prove their greatness, but undoubtedly there is a lot of talent.

Thomas has a freakish combination of size, speed, strength and explosion, if he gets the mental part of the game and the consistency down he can become a dominant player, certainly he has the most pure physical ability of any WR Manning has played with. It has yet to be seen if he can convert that ability into production.

Orlando Franklin has come a long way, he pretty much stonewalled Woodley 1 on 1 through the entire game and Woodley may just be the most dangerous pass rusher playing across from the RT in the league - last year Franklin would have been burned.

Clady can be dominant, we have seen it, he can utterly shut down the pass rush from the left. I noticed one bad play on Clady against the Steelers, they blitzed 2 from the left with the defensive line all pushing right, Clady went to chip the DE heading for Beadles and ended up leaving Moreno to block both blitzers.

R8R H8R
09-16-2012, 07:32 PM
I don't know if this OL is quite at the level of the best colts lines yet, but much like the comments that our wr's have the potential to be better than best colts wr's, this OL certainly has that same potential.

Not only are they young in age, they are also young in the system, and they will only get better with time. Last year we saw they can be dominate run blockers, something Manning didn't have, IMO, but they are playing well within a brand new system for them, and that is good news.

Heyneck
09-16-2012, 07:57 PM

Don't get carried away about the WR part. It's still way too early. He played with 2 future hall of famers in Indy.

Heyneck
09-16-2012, 07:59 PM
At their peak, you may be right, but DT & Decker have just scatched the surface. DT is so unique in his speed/size that he gives PM a deminsion he hasn't had.

DT yes... but Decker is nowhere near the talent that Marvin was or Wayne is.

nyuk nyuk
09-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Indy must have really sucked, then. Sure, they've improved since last year, but I can't see them as being that great so quickly. Time will tell.

They did get away with some naughties last week... Two infractions by Beadles, technically. The jersey grab followed by a push on the same play. This was on the long Thomas TD.

We're lucky those scrubs didn't flag it.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2m45dte.png

http://i46.tinypic.com/zilgnn.png

R8R H8R
09-16-2012, 09:22 PM
DT yes... but Decker is nowhere near the talent that Marvin was or Wayne is.

My comment is regarding them as a tandem, not individually. I think that if DT becomes the elite wr his talent/potential suggests, then Decker would benefit and maybe take his game to another level. But all of this relies on if...

Lestat
09-16-2012, 09:27 PM

lol it would be interesting to see if he ever became serious and got a legit push.

that said, if he was signed for football that mother would get holding and illegal hands to the face calls all game long.

razorwire77
09-16-2012, 10:49 PM
I'm all for a good ol' fashion homer party from time to time, but Decker and DT are nowhere near the level of prime Harrison and Wayne. Hell, Wayne is better than Eric Decker now.

Kaylore
09-16-2012, 10:51 PM

:spit: Yeah anyone that thinks Bey Bey and McCaffrey 2.0 are as good as Wayne and Harrison are definitely homering out of their minds.

IBeWriteGood
09-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Indy must have really sucked, then. Sure, they've improved since last year, but I can't see them as being that great so quickly. Time will tell.

They did get away with some naughties last week... Two infractions by Beadles, technically. The jersey grab followed by a push on the same play. This was on the long Thomas TD.

We're lucky those scrubs didn't flag it.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2m45dte.png

http://i46.tinypic.com/zilgnn.png

Holding happens on every play. I know it's cliche, but it's the truth.

Go back and watch in full speed and you can clearly see Beadles grab and let go. If you do that, you won't never be called for holding. He did exactly as he's coached on a defender that he can't get a good grasp on.

God forbid the Broncos not get credit for a play. Are you even looking at the screen shot you just posted? DT is in full speed, 1 yard deep (at most) behind the defender and you think the defender has a chance to get turn around and make a play on a 4.4 receiver running perpendicular to the goal line, even without the alleged hold and alleged bump? Hogwash.

I don't know why the **** some people even act like Broncos fans. Lol.

HAT
09-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Don't get carried away about the WR part. It's still way too early. He made 2 future hall of famers in Indy.

Fixed

extralife
09-17-2012, 01:49 AM
The truth is that we really don't know how good Decker and Thomas can be. They're just now coming into third season which is usually when young receivers really hit their stride.

and there have been thousands and thousands of wide receivers that have hit year three in the history of the NFL. maybe 5 or 10 of them ended up as good as Marvin Harrison.

menonite
09-17-2012, 02:46 AM
Marvin Harrison was way better than either of these guys. Top five wide receiver? maybe. Besides Rice who is better in he last 20 years? Moss and T.O.? Who would you rather have on your team?

Marvin Harrison was an amazing player. And i'm not just saying that becasue I'm afraid he'll shoot me if I say otherwise.

go_broncos
09-17-2012, 03:06 AM
Don't Jinx it..It's only one game.

Bacchus
09-17-2012, 04:37 AM
Marvin Harrison was way better than either of these guys. Top five wide receiver? maybe. Besides Rice who is better in he last 20 years? Moss and T.O.? Who would you rather have on your team?

Marvin Harrison was an amazing player. And i'm not just saying that becasue I'm afraid he'll shoot me if I say otherwise.

Harrison had Manning at QB. Lets see what Decker and Thomas can be with Peyton at QB. Dating back to last year Thomas is 3rd in the NFL the last 7 games in yards receiving.

Six of those games Tebow was throwing him the ball.

v2micca
09-17-2012, 06:23 AM
Harrison had Manning at QB.

And Jerry Rice had Joe Montana and Steve Young throwing him the ball most of his career. Doesn't matter. He was still one of the greatest receivers to play the game. Seriously, its like trying to dismiss TD as a great player because he spent his entire career running behind Denver's dominant Zone-blocking scheme.

Atwater His Ass
09-17-2012, 06:37 AM
Anyone trying to compare Harrison and Wayne to Decker and Thomas is out of their minds. Both Harrison and Wayne have more career receptions than Rod Smith and Shannon Sharpe, the two most prolific pass catchers in Bronco history, who by the way, played most of their career with a quarterback named John Elway; not a bad guy to be chucking the ball around. Not to mention Harrison is 3rd all time in receptions, 6th in yards, 5th in receiving TD's. Not a lock for the hall what?

On top of that, Rod Smith had his most productive seasons playing with Brain Griese, while Sharpe was still very productive in Baltimore with guys like Trent Dilfer, Tony Banks and Elvis Grbac. So although having great QB's is a boon, it's not necessarily the be all end all of the discussion.

There is no way no how that Decker and Thomas are even in the same ballpark as Harrison and Wayne. Show some respect to players that have actually achieved something, rather than masturbating over potential.

Bacchus
09-17-2012, 07:03 AM
Anyone trying to compare Harrison and Wayne to Decker and Thomas is out of their minds. Both Harrison and Wayne have more career receptions than Rod Smith and Shannon Sharpe, the two most prolific pass catchers in Bronco history, who by the way, played most of their career with a quarterback named John Elway; not a bad guy to be chucking the ball around. Not to mention Harrison is 3rd all time in receptions, 6th in yards, 5th in receiving TD's. Not a lock for the hall what?

On top of that, Rod Smith had his most productive seasons playing with Brain Griese, while Sharpe was still very productive in Baltimore with guys like Trent Dilfer, Tony Banks and Elvis Grbac. So although having great QB's is a boon, it's not necessarily the be all end all of the discussion.

There is no way no how that Decker and Thomas are even in the same ballpark as Harrison and Wayne. Show some respect to players that have actually achieved something, rather than masturbating over potential.

Thomas will put up numbers comparable to Marvin Harrison and or Reggie Wayne.

v2micca
09-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Thomas will put up numbers comparable to Marvin Harrison and or Reggie Wayne.

When he does, we will put him in the same discussion as Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison. Until then, he is one nasty hit away from being another talented what-if story. Staying healthy long-term in the NFL is no easy task. And it is one that Thomas has already struggled with in his first 3 season.

Atwater His Ass
09-17-2012, 07:24 AM
So now we have a predication that Thomas is a hall of fame WR, just because he maybe will get to play with Manning for 2-3 seasons. lmfao.

Do you have any idea how many WR/TE's have put up huge single season numbers? And you're trying to compare that to a career body worth of work? Btw, that career year for Thomas, has yet to even happen.

Oh yeah, I'll give you one guess who holds the nfl record for single season receptions. And it's not even close.

jerseyguy4
09-17-2012, 07:32 AM

I was a Colts fan through Peyton's entire time there. Harrison and Wayne are great receivers, there is no doubt. But any HOF receiver needs something to set them apart from the other great receivers. In their case, I point at 3 things:
1) Great hands
2) Fantastic amount of balls thrown their way
and by far the most important:
3) The time they spent with Manning year round that enabled them to excel.

Back in the day, Madden used to show tape of Harrison/Peyton. Harrison would run a post. Peyton would release the ball prior to Harrison breaking on the post. It was quite beautiful.

Unfortunately, Decker and Thomas probably won't have the time with Peyton that those guys did. But they are right now in a great position to become A-rank WR's.

One note about O-line - The Colts did have some very good O-lines if you go back to the middle/end of the Tarik Glenn era. Like 04, 05. They were solid. I have a hard time saying today's o-line is better than that. Colts also had Howard Mudd as o-line coach. He is an o-line God.

BroncoBeavis
09-17-2012, 08:11 AM

If it weren't for Marvin's off-the-field issues, he'd probably be first ballot here in a couple years when he's eligible.

TheReverend
09-17-2012, 08:35 AM
I think people forget that Marvin is #6 All-Time in receiving... that puts him in very rare air (In fact, he's more than 3000 yards over own beloved Rod Smith)

Oh he's also #2 all-time in receptions for WRs and #5 in TDs

Soooooooooooooooooooooo... let's see Demaryius play 1 full season before we get crazy, okay?

bowtown
09-17-2012, 09:17 AM
I think people forget that Marvin is #6 All-Time in receiving... that puts him in very rare air (In fact, he's more than 3000 yards over own beloved Rod Smith)

Soooooooooooooooooooooo... let's see Demaryius play 1 full season before we get crazy, okay?

I don't think you fully appreciate how tall DT is. I predict he will surpass Harrison in both those categories by the bye week.

TheReverend
09-17-2012, 09:40 AM
I don't think you fully appreciate how tall DT is. I predict he will surpass Harrison in both those categories by the bye week.

You make an excellent argument but the real question is wtf are we starting Peyton Manning over Brock Osweiler?

jerseyguy4
09-17-2012, 09:50 AM
DT is seven feet tall. Kills men by the 100's. He'll consume the Falcons with fireballs from his eyes, and lightning bolts from his arse.

Beantown Bronco
09-17-2012, 09:53 AM
This can't be DT. I'm prettier than this man.

bowtown
09-17-2012, 10:00 AM
You make an excellent argument but the real question is wtf are we starting Peyton Manning over Brock Osweiler?

Well it's a tough decision. Do you go with the clear height advantage in Brock, or the enormous head of Peyton. Clearly the FO has put more value at this point in helmet area over pant length, but we can only wait to see how that plays out. One thing is for certain though, neither QB has ever had 2 black tackles on the line before, so that can only mean good things.

bowtown
09-17-2012, 10:00 AM
DT is seven feet tall. Kills men by the 100's. He'll consume the Falcons with fireballs from his eyes, and lightning bolts from his arse.

While all this may be true, it's still a question as to whether he has matured enough to eat a baby.

broncocalijohn
09-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Harrison nd wayne are little girls compared to the size of Decker/Thomas

You smoking dope. Don't jump the gun homer.

As for the OL, Frankin is so much better than last season. What we really need is the opportunity to not complain about Beadles. These two play at a good starters level, there is no reason for this OL to dominate for McGahee and Manning.

kappys
09-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Marvin Harrison was simply incredible as a receiver - it was his talent that also helped shape Peyton Manning into what he became.

I am less convinced of Reggie Wayne. I'll be interested to see how this year progresses. He is a top a receiver no doubt but despite his numbers I just don't see him as a HOF guy like Marvin Harrison.

jerseyguy4
09-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Marvin Harrison was simply incredible as a receiver - it was his talent that also helped shape Peyton Manning into what he became.

I am less convinced of Reggie Wayne. I'll be interested to see how this year progresses. He is a top a receiver no doubt but despite his numbers I just don't see him as a HOF guy like Marvin Harrison.
Not fair.

Marvin played 13 season (all as a Colt), with his last 11 seasons being ONLY with Peyton. They learned together what a tight QB/WR relationship meant, and they did it better than anyone, ever.

Reggie played his first 10 seasons with Manning. 8 of those Marvin was still there, and he was living under Marvin's shadow for at least 4 of those 8. He had a lot of catches and yards, mostly because he was facing #2 CB's. As Marvin aged, Reggie took over. They made the transition appear seemless, and it was great to be a fan and watch.

You can't expect Reggie to produce the way he did under Peyton. He'll never have the relationship with another QB the way he did with Peyton. And it was that relationship that made him (and Marvin) what they were. But make no mistake, Reggie is awesome. I believe that had Marvin never been there, all those Manning/Harrison records would say Manning/Wayne.

kappys
09-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Not fair.

Marvin played 13 season (all as a Colt), with his last 11 seasons being ONLY with Peyton. They learned together what a tight QB/WR relationship meant, and they did it better than anyone, ever.

Reggie played his first 10 seasons with Manning. 8 of those Marvin was still there, and he was living under Marvin's shadow for at least 4 of those 8. He had a lot of catches and yards, mostly because he was facing #2 CB's. As Marvin aged, Reggie took over. They made the transition appear seemless, and it was great to be a fan and watch.

You can't expect Reggie to produce the way he did under Peyton. He'll never have the relationship with another QB the way he did with Peyton. And it was that relationship that made him (and Marvin) what they were. But make no mistake, Reggie is awesome. I believe that had Marvin never been there, all those Manning/Harrison records would say Manning/Wayne.

I don't deny that Wayne is a very talented receiver but asserting that if Harrison hadn't been there he would have the records just doesn't fly when it comes to HOF consideration.

brncs_fan
09-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Silly WR argument is silly. I know we are all jacked for the game tonight, especially after last week, but let's not let the cart run over the horses here.

Bacchus
09-17-2012, 11:22 AM
When he does, we will put him in the same discussion as Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison. Until then, he is one nasty hit away from being another talented what-if story. Staying healthy long-term in the NFL is no easy task. And it is one that Thomas has already struggled with in his first 3 season.

We? I'll put him in whatever category I want to. The last 7 games he is 3rd in the NFL in yardage. I'm going to put him in Harrison's category now.:welcome:

Bacchus
09-17-2012, 11:25 AM

Yes, he was a fine WR. However, Peyton MF Manning was his QB. He ran the routes and Peyton delivered him the ball. WHoever Peyton was throwing to would put up HOF type numbers.

brncs_fan
09-17-2012, 11:26 AM
We? I'll put him in whatever category I want to. The last 7 games he is 3rd in the NFL in yardage. I'm going to put him in Harrison's category now.:welcome:

Because 7 games and an entire career are totally comparable.

Bacchus
09-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Because 7 games and an entire career are totally comparable.

Dude it's my opinion I can say whatever I want.

jerseyguy4
09-17-2012, 11:32 AM
I don't deny that Wayne is a very talented receiver but asserting that if Harrison hadn't been there he would have the records just doesn't fly when it comes to HOF consideration.

Manning/Wayne tandem stats
- 2nd in total completions (#1 is Manning/Harrison)
- 2nd tandem in NFL history to surpass 10k yds receiving (1st was Harrison/Manning)
- 4th most duo TDs (#1 is Manning/Harrison)

http://www.colts.com/team/roster/Reggie-Wayne/a394623a-9a60-46b5-ad7a-4867d1c2028e

Read all his personal stats/records. He's a HOF.

brncs_fan
09-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Dude it's my opinion I can say whatever I want.

Yes you can. And the rest of us can point out just how incredibly ridiculous it is.

Bacchus
09-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Yes you can. And the rest of us can point out just how incredibly ridiculous it is.

well, we agree than!!!

Mountain Bronco
09-17-2012, 04:46 PM

Um, he had Marvin Harrison who is a HOF candidate and Reggie Wayne. Lets not get carried away by Thomas yet.

DENVERDUI55
09-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Is that what your wife says to make you feel better? Hilarious!

colts are a food stamp organization. If Manning played in his prime with targets like Thomas and Decker while having lineman like Clady he would've won 4 rings if not more

Well manning palyed with 2 HOF wr and you are saying 2 wr that never in there life have had 1000 yd season. Your theory is a joke.

fdf
09-17-2012, 09:16 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/atlanta-falcons/0ap2000000061575/Playbook-Broncos-vs-Falcons

Well, his lines in Indy were always "underrated" and maybe in reality they just were not that good. I know in 2010 his line was horrible and he was getting blitzed up the middle constantly.

And then, they played Atlanta.

go_broncos
09-17-2012, 10:30 PM
So much hype after one game..

Bacchus
09-17-2012, 10:35 PM
So much hype after one game..

NO_Broncos