Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

SoCalBronco
09-15-2012, 10:25 PM
So we're 23 minutes into the lockout....please end it, soon. :(

Oh and Let's Go Pens!

http://www.nhlsnipers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Crosby-and-Malkin1.jpg

24champ
09-15-2012, 10:36 PM
End the lockout so the Kings can repeat!

SoCalBronco
09-15-2012, 10:40 PM
IMO, we'll lose about one month of the regular season.

DHallblows
09-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Well this lockout can't be any worse than in 2005. Unless this one somehow manages to ruin/drastically change hockey as we know it again...

Goobzilla
09-15-2012, 11:54 PM
This feels like a lost season to me, but both sides aren't that stupid are they?

Broncos_OTM
09-16-2012, 05:01 AM
if they miss one game I'm gonna and won't ever come back. I'll just watch my cjtthroats :-)... only so many times the NHL will do this to me

canadianbroncosfan
09-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Last time there was a lock out Canada started allowing gay marriage.

And no I'm not knocking gay marriage, it's actually beneficial to see what our country can accomplish when we have six months in the winter with nothing else to do.

DivineLegion
09-16-2012, 08:14 AM
The Canes load up on talent for the first time in 6 years, and we get locked out.

SoCal this is Sids fault! Gary Bettman is giving his poster boy another year to recover with no pressure to return, there is no other logical explanation for this. -JK

I miss Hockey.

gyldenlove
09-16-2012, 09:03 AM
If they miss 1 regular season game I am just going to stop watching the NHL, if they are that determined to **** up the game I say let them, but it won't be on my dime.

SoCalBronco
09-16-2012, 11:54 AM
The Canes load up on talent for the first time in 6 years, and we get locked out.

SoCal this is Sids fault! Gary Bettman is giving his poster boy another year to recover with no pressure to return, there is no other logical explanation for this. -JK

I miss Hockey.

I miss hockey too...I want to see Sid. He's 100% now and has been working out a ton this offseason, so I think he's back in beast mode if we can just get the games to start.

Carolina will be really strong this year with the additions they have made. I am going to miss Jordan but I don't hold it against him for leaving to be with his brother. He is a great defensive center and as you could see last year his offensive game is evolving as well. He's a really good player and will be a No. 1 center soon. Semin will be really dangerous on that team, too and Carolina has some great defensemen coming up in their system. I wouldn't be surprised if they won the Southeast this year.

I'm hoping for some good production from Sutter and maybe Dumoulin if he can crack the roster this year.

KipCorrington25
09-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Remember people this is the NHL here we are dealing with the bushest of the bush leagues, there's no telling how bad they will cock this up. I could see a prolonged holdout that leads to no benefit to anyone.

Typical NHL.

Baba Booey
09-16-2012, 12:34 PM
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i403/dperry7/snipe.jpg

Beantown Bronco
09-16-2012, 12:36 PM
End the lockout so the Kings can repeat!

The Kings are the #1 beneficiary of this IMO. Stanley Cup hangover as a result of a short summer is for real and if there's a lockout (with significant games cancelled), they'll catch up on all that rest.

I wish the B's had the benefit of a lockout last off season.

txtebow
09-16-2012, 07:12 PM
The pens suck, Crosby is a whiny girl who will again be owned by my Orange clad flyers and the games will begin in December. Giroux for MVP!

SoCalBronco
09-16-2012, 07:15 PM
With injuries and guys who left, the Flyers defense is now even worse than the Pens....if that's even possible. LOL

Actually I heard Homer was trying to trade for PK Subban. He would be a perfect Flyer, cause he's physical and a straight up dirty player.

maher_tyler
09-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Why another lock out? This is irritating even though I'm not happy about the Avs giving Sacco an extension.

BroncosSR
09-16-2012, 07:33 PM
With injuries and guys who left, the Flyers defense is now even worse than the Pens....if that's even possible. LOL

Actually I heard Homer was trying to trade for PK Subban. He would be a perfect Flyer, cause he's physical and a straight up dirty player.

Pot to Kettle... "You're black."

24champ
09-16-2012, 07:36 PM
The Kings are the #1 beneficiary of this IMO. Stanley Cup hangover as a result of a short summer is for real and if there's a lockout (with significant games cancelled), they'll catch up on all that rest.

I wish the B's had the benefit of a lockout last off season.

Valid point, BB.

Meanwhile, I will be content just watching replays Game 5 of the WCF and Game 6 of the SCF on NHL network.;D

broncocalijohn
09-16-2012, 09:07 PM
I am not a big basketball fan until the playoffs so hockey is my sport since the Broncos play once a week. I cannot survive on 1 game a week. October to April is nothing but football and hockey. If this happens, I hope the Broncos are playing into February or it is a long winter for me.

Aftermath
09-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Im pretty bummed.... I really hope all the Flyers young guys dont lose a year off their careers.

chadta
09-17-2012, 05:01 AM
When I saw the picture on the first post in the thread I thought it was another post on gay marriage, then i realized it was the pengirls.

Not sure the Flyer D got worse at all, sure they didnt get webber but they did add schenn, mez will be back, a shorter season helps Kimmo, coburn has been a horse, i can live with a third pair that includes two of gervais, grossman, lilja, gustafson.

Besides what does a pens fan care about how bad our D is, as long as you have MAF in net we could play 5 forwards, and still out score you guys.

Unfortunately, i dont think we see hockey this year, im hoping Bryzaster will go play in russia, and will like it so much that he will stay there.

Beantown Bronco
09-19-2012, 10:36 AM
The NHL released the following statement to its fans last Sunday morning, hours after the third league-imposed lockout in 18 years began at midnight on Saturday.

The letter was posted on NHL.com and individual team websites.

“Despite the expiration of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the National Hockey League has been, and remains, committed to negotiating around the clock to reach a new CBA that is fair to the Players and to the 30 NHL teams

Committed to negotiating around the clock? Except for the last week or so where there hasn't been a single meeting. That must be what they meant to say.

Reminds me of that scene from The Naked Gun:

"Wilma, I promise you; whatever scum did this, not one man on this force will rest one minute until he's behind bars. Now, let's grab a bite to eat."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n08mNz9f0FQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gyldenlove
09-19-2012, 10:37 AM
The NHL released the following statement to its fans last Sunday morning, hours after the third league-imposed lockout in 18 years began at midnight on Saturday.

The letter was posted on NHL.com and individual team websites.

“Despite the expiration of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the National Hockey League has been, and remains, committed to negotiating around the clock to reach a new CBA that is fair to the Players and to the 30 NHL teams

Committed to negotiating around the clock? Except for the last week or so where there hasn't been a single meeting. That must be what they meant to say.

Reminds me of that scene from The Naked Gun:

"Wilma, I promise you; whatever scum did this, not one man on this force will rest one minute until he's behind bars. Now, let's grab a bite to eat."

Bettman knows the only weapon he has is time - the players will be wanting their salary before the owners (most of the owners) will default on their loans.

24champ
09-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Kings ownership company AEG is up for sale.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-anschutz-aeg-sale-20120918,0,754304.story

They are going to try and make a full on run for an NFL team in LA.

DivineLegion
09-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Bettman knows the only weapon he has is time - the players will be wanting their salary before the owners (most of the owners) will default on their loans.

Not really, half the players in the league have already committed to Russian or Sweedish franchises. If I were a wealthy European who loved hockey I would try and unite the various German, Ukranian, Russian, and Sweedish leagues thereby stealing ALL the talent the NHL had, and putting Gary Bettman to rest. I hate how the NHL goes about their buisness. The sport is growing, it netted its largest profits ever last season, and the owners won't treat the players with an iota of respect. The NHL is shooting its self in the foot on this one.

BroncoLifer
09-19-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm embarrassed to admit that until yesterday I didn't realize that Donald Fehr is now the Director of the NHLPA. My hopes for a quick settlement just got a lot dimmer.

gyldenlove
09-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Not really, half the players in the league have already committed to Russian or Sweedish franchises. If I were a wealthy European who loved hockey I would try and unite the various German, Ukranian, Russian, and Sweedish leagues thereby stealing ALL the talent the NHL had, and putting Gary Bettman to rest. I hate how the NHL goes about their buisness. The sport is growing, it netted its largest profits ever last season, and the owners won't treat the players with an iota of respect. The NHL is shooting its self in the foot on this one.

Most of them will be making a pittance compared to their normal salary, not to mention the loss of sponsorship revenue due to lost tv exposure.

Guys like Nash and Thornton are both making around 7 mill a year in the NHL, they will be making less than 1 mill each in Switzerland if they play the whole season.

The money and infrastructure to create 1 big league is simply not in place, the entire foundation of the league would be players most of whom would have to return to the NHL once the lockout is over.

Tombstone RJ
09-19-2012, 12:05 PM
The NHL expanded way too quickly the last 20 years or so and that is squarely on the owners. Before the last CBA the players were making way more money than the small market teams could realistically afford and the players capitulated. Contracts leveled out or shrunk. Then certain teams (owners again) started skirting the CBA by doing assinine contracts like the contracts where a team signs a player for $100m and 15 years or some such crap.

Meh, it's like the owners are too stupid to realize that they have a great product, but a very limited market (comparatively speaking to the NFL, NBA, MLB). What they have to do is shrink the league, get rid of some teams (Phoenix? Atlanta? the Florida teams? really?) and maximize the product (less players, but better player, get rid of the Eurotrash) and let the game get really popular again in the cities that have the teams.

Really, how hard is this crap?

gyldenlove
09-19-2012, 01:01 PM
The NHL expanded way too quickly the last 20 years or so and that is squarely on the owners. Before the last CBA the players were making way more money than the small market teams could realistically afford and the players capitulated. Contracts leveled out or shrunk. Then certain teams (owners again) started skirting the CBA by doing assinine contracts like the contracts where a team signs a player for $100m and 15 years or some such crap.

Meh, it's like the owners are too stupid to realize that they have a great product, but a very limited market (comparatively speaking to the NFL, NBA, MLB). What they have to do is shrink the league, get rid of some teams (Phoenix? Atlanta? the Florida teams? really?) and maximize the product (less players, but better player, get rid of the Eurotrash) and let the game get really popular again in the cities that have the teams.

Really, how hard is this crap?

Yes, clearly we need to get rid of guys like Malkin, Kovalchuk, Karlson, Lundquist, Rinne, the Sedin's, Datsyuk and Kopitar - they bring nothing to the league at all and just dilute the product. Lets get rid of Atlanta, they have had a team for far too long, we could move it to a real hockey market in Canada.

DivineLegion
09-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Most of them will be making a pittance compared to their normal salary, not to mention the loss of sponsorship revenue due to lost tv exposure.

Guys like Nash and Thornton are both making around 7 mill a year in the NHL, they will be making less than 1 mill each in Switzerland if they play the whole season.

The money and infrastructure to create 1 big league is simply not in place, the entire foundation of the league would be players most of whom would have to return to the NHL once the lockout is over.

I thought some of the Russian leagues paid pretty well. At least a European league would generate more interest on an all inclusive base. The NHLs obsession with southern markets is ridiculous. Two teams in Florida? 06' cup finals I was at the RBC center for the first Edmonton game, and after Edmonton scored I heard a guy behind me scream " kill em dead"; that's southern Hockey fans. The overall fan base has grown exceptionally well in Raleigh, but it's still a struggling market. Peter Karmanos and Jim Rutheford had a self imposed cap 10 million below the cap until this year, because the Canes couldn't afford to be competitive in the free agent market. At least you could find a base of Hockey interested markets in Europe, and build off of what is already in place. So far every NHL game played in Europe has been sold out. Finland, Germany, Russia, Sweeden, Switzerland, and The Chech Republic are all primed for the foundation of a Eurocentric hockey league.

gyldenlove
09-19-2012, 01:38 PM
I thought some of the Russian leagues paid pretty well. At least a European league would generate more interest on an all inclusive base. The NHLs obsession with southern markets is ridiculous. Two teams in Florida? 06' cup finals I was at the RBC center for the first Edmonton game, and after Edmonton scored I heard a guy behind me scream " kill em dead"; that's southern Hockey fans. The overall fan base has grown exceptionally well in Raleigh, but it's still a struggling market. Peter Karmanos and Jim Rutheford had a self imposed cap 10 million below the cap until this year, because the Canes couldn't afford to be competitive in the free agent market. At least you could find a base of Hockey interested markets in Europe, and build off of what is already in place. So far every NHL game played in Europe has been sold out. Finland, Germany, Russia, Sweeden, Switzerland, and The Chech Republic are all primed for the foundation of a Eurocentric hockey league.

The Russian league pays stars pretty well because they pay no taxes and have very low expenses comparatively, but it is largely a money pit driven by Russian oil tycoons.

There is no infrastructure in terms of TV deals or even TV markets that would allow for a pan European league, the strength of the North American market is that 1 TV deal can cover everything - if you created a league with say 4 Swedish, 2 Finnish, 3 German, 2 Czech and 5 Russian teams you would need at least 5 national TV deals and with them sponsorships, you would need to sell the league to other nations including Denmark, Slovakia, Latvia, Switzerland and Norway as well.

I agree that the focus on getting into large TV markets in Florida, California, Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta have really created a tiered situation and looking at the attendence problems of teams like the Islanders, Coyotes and Panthers really shows how important it is to catch up those small markets.

The NHL really needs to revamp the revenue sharing model, right now the big teams like Toronto, Vancouver, Chicago, Detroit and Montreal are knee deep in cash while the small market teams, even the successful ones like Nashville are really struggling and taking losses. The idea of the last CBA was to create competitive balance to increase the value of the small market teams and it has worked, Carolina, Tampa Bay and Anaheim have taken home championships and the overall value of the league has inreased a lot including some sweet new TV deals. The next step has to be to share revenue to solidify the league - right now Phoenix, Dallas, New Jersey and last year Atlanta and fairly recently Tampa Bay have been in ownership limbo.

The owners have tried to redefine hockey revenue in a way that would allow the big market teams to push profit into those streams which would reduce the salary cap and the players compensation - Donald Fehr didn't go for it and has instead been pushing revenue sharing like the models used in NFL and NBA.

DENVERDUI55
09-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Shouldn't this be in the other sports forum?

Beantown Bronco
09-19-2012, 02:25 PM
[sarcasm]
Yes, clearly we need to get rid of guys like Malkin, Kovalchuk, Karlson, Lundquist, Rinne, the Sedin's, Datsyuk and Kopitar - they bring nothing to the league at all and just dilute the product.

Seriously. The Bruins would be without their #1 and #2 defenders in Chara and Seidenberg. Not to mention their starting goalie (Rask) and #1 center (Krejci). But let's just get rid of all those scrub Europeans.....

Beantown Bronco
09-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Shouldn't this be in the other sports forum?

Walk away.

gyldenlove
09-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Seriously. The Bruins would be without their #1 and #2 defenders in Chara and Seidenberg. Not to mention their starting goalie (Rask) and #1 center (Krejci). But let's just get rid of all those scrub Europeans.....

The Red Wings would be without 3 of the top 6 D including the number 1, and at least half of the forwards including the top 4 - not to mention one of the 3 greatest defensemen to ever play the game would never have worn that jersey and would never have won 7 Norris trophies, 1 Conn Smythe, 4 Stanley cups...

I feel like we can dismiss the idea as nonsense.

Tombstone RJ
09-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Yes, clearly we need to get rid of guys like Malkin, Kovalchuk, Karlson, Lundquist, Rinne, the Sedin's, Datsyuk and Kopitar - they bring nothing to the league at all and just dilute the product. Lets get rid of Atlanta, they have had a team for far too long, we could move it to a real hockey market in Canada.

I'm not saying there aren't great Euro players because obviously there are. However, I think if the league got rid of some teams it would purge some of the Euro guys out (some Americans, some Canadians too) and keep the best. The expansion of the Euro players has coincided with the expansion of the NHL.

Tombstone RJ
09-19-2012, 02:37 PM

It'd be pretty cool if the NHL could do the Stanely Cup finals and then have that team go to play the equivolent Euro team for a World Cup finals or something like that. Shorten the overal NHL season to allow for this.

epic.

DivineLegion
09-19-2012, 02:47 PM
It'd be pretty cool if the NHL could do the Stanely Cup finals and then have that team go to play the equivolent Euro team for a World Cup finals or something like that. Shorten the overal NHL season to allow for this.

epic.

There's an idea, and right in line with what I was proposing. Glen made a good point about unanimous TV deals, but a cross function world hockey federation playing for a world cup, or chaplains leagueesque title would be sweet.

Tombstone RJ
09-19-2012, 02:54 PM
There's an idea, and right in line with what I was proposing. Glen made a good point about unanimous TV deals, but a cross function world hockey federation playing for a world cup, or chaplains leagueesque title would be sweet.

Yah, I can see an equivolent NHL Euro league where professional teams are planted in cities that love hockey and have ownership that would build teams based on Euro players (hell, they could bring in Canadians and Americans if they wanted to pay those guys too) but overall these teams are made up of European talent. They have their season, the NHL North America has it's season. Each league has their own championship (called the Stanley Cup in North America) and the winners go and play one final for the World Cup or the NHL Cup or whatever you want to call it.

chadta
09-19-2012, 03:03 PM
The NHL really needs to revamp the revenue sharing model, right now the big teams like Toronto, Vancouver, Chicago, Detroit and Montreal are knee deep in cash while the small market teams, even the successful ones like Nashville are really struggling and taking losses. The idea of the last CBA was to create competitive balance to increase the value of the small market teams and it has worked, Carolina, Tampa Bay and Anaheim have taken home championships and the overall value of the league has inreased a lot including some sweet new TV deals. The next step has to be to share revenue to solidify the league - right now Phoenix, Dallas, New Jersey and last year Atlanta and fairly recently Tampa Bay have been in ownership limbo.

The owners have tried to redefine hockey revenue in a way that would allow the big market teams to push profit into those streams which would reduce the salary cap and the players compensation - Donald Fehr didn't go for it and has instead been pushing revenue sharing like the models used in NFL and NBA.

Really ?

in toronto you have to have a ticket left to you in a will to get it, parking at the arena costs more than the combo deal in phoenix that gets you 2 tickets, 2 hotdogs, 2 ball caps, 2 beers, a flag, and permission to drop the opening faceoff, and you think they should just give that money away to share with the other teams ?

If they are going to split all the money evenly, they should have league wide pricing, so tickets in toronto that now cost $400.00 each, would be the same price as the tickets that now cost $29.99 in phoenix, probably somewhere around the $150 mark seems fair, what do you think that would do to demand in these markets that never should have been ?

http://www.ranker.com/list/nhl-teams-values-2012/w1z1k

Leafs operating income of 82 million is almost as much as the #2 and #3 teams combined, no wonder they dont want a team in hamilton, or another team in toronto. But why hasnt the league made it happen ?

only 12 teams had a positive operating income last year, 6 of them were Canadian. Why are we trying to sell hockey to people that watch cars make left turns all day ?

The only Canadian team that didnt make money was the winnipeg, and the arena they have is way to small, they never should have gotten a team. I dont see how losing 5 million in winnipeg is any better than losing 5 million in atlanta. Expand the rink, or fold them too.

We miss another year of hockey to try and save teams for people that dont care about the game, and its stupid, fold the teams, and give us our gameback.

gyldenlove
09-19-2012, 03:19 PM
Really ?

in toronto you have to have a ticket left to you in a will to get it, parking at the arena costs more than the combo deal in phoenix that gets you 2 tickets, 2 hotdogs, 2 ball caps, 2 beers, a flag, and permission to drop the opening faceoff, and you think they should just give that money away to share with the other teams ?

If they are going to split all the money evenly, they should have league wide pricing, so tickets in toronto that now cost $400.00 each, would be the same price as the tickets that now cost $29.99 in phoenix, probably somewhere around the $150 mark seems fair, what do you think that would do to demand in these markets that never should have been ?

http://www.ranker.com/list/nhl-teams-values-2012/w1z1k

Leafs operating income of 82 million is almost as much as the #2 and #3 teams combined, no wonder they dont want a team in hamilton, or another team in toronto. But why hasnt the league made it happen ?

only 12 teams had a positive operating income last year, 6 of them were Canadian. Why are we trying to sell hockey to people that watch cars make left turns all day ?

The only Canadian team that didnt make money was the winnipeg, and the arena they have is way to small, they never should have gotten a team. I dont see how losing 5 million in winnipeg is any better than losing 5 million in atlanta. Expand the rink, or fold them too.

We miss another year of hockey to try and save teams for people that dont care about the game, and its stupid, fold the teams, and give us our gameback.

With more revenue sharing, I would propose starting at sharing evenly the first 38% of all revenue independent of source there would be less incentive for the teams that sell out like Montreal and Toronto to squeeze the prices since part of the money they would make would be shipped off to the south.

The reason so many teams are bleeding money is because of teams like Toronto and Montreal, a team like Nashville can operate at around 38 million dollars in player expenses and break even, but thanks to the high revenue of the original 6 they are not allowed to pay any less than 55 million - that drives up salaries of mediocre players and forces mid- and small-market teams to spend beyond their means.

The NFL has strong revenue sharing, and they are sharing a much larger pie with even bigger differences betweens the haves and have-nots.

chadta
09-19-2012, 07:13 PM
With more revenue sharing, I would propose starting at sharing evenly the first 38% of all revenue independent of source there would be less incentive for the teams that sell out like Montreal and Toronto to squeeze the prices since part of the money they would make would be shipped off to the south.

Sure, I would agree with that.

The reason so many teams are bleeding money is because of teams like Toronto and Montreal, a team like Nashville can operate at around 38 million dollars in player expenses and break even, but thanks to the high revenue of the original 6 they are not allowed to pay any less than 55 million - that drives up salaries of mediocre players and forces mid- and small-market teams to spend beyond their means.

I agree, sort of, get rid of the cap floor, get rid of average cap hit, make it so that contracts must be same value at the start and the end, and dont let teams bury bad contracts in the minors. I have often wondered if the cap floor wasnt a way to make sure poor teams failed.

The NFL has strong revenue sharing, and they are sharing a much larger pie with even bigger differences betweens the haves and have-nots.

They really arent tho, you cant compare the 2, the NFL started sharing gate revenue in the 60s, they also only play 8 home games. They also get almost 50% of the money as a league from TV contracts. Its alot easier to share money that comes into the league and not to each team.

I asked on a hockey board what the financial situation would look like if we applied the NFL model to the NHL, 40% of gate to visitor, but that info just isnt readily available, it would penalize detroit, for being in a division with nashville and colmubus, what about the south eastern division, carolina, florida and tampa, who gains there ? so now you have to change the schedule. it starts to get real confusing.

24champ
01-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Things are progressing. It looks like there is a chance the lockout ends soon.

Pensions and the cap number, are a couple sticking points both sides are far apart on.

Meanwhile NHL clubs are quietly planning training camp schedules.

bronco militia
01-03-2013, 12:41 PM
if they are not back by the Superbowl, then hello NBA.

Hopefully the nugggets have fired Bernie Bickerstaff by now.

SoCalBronco
01-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Pension issues and 2nd year cap will prolly take one more week to resolve. The two buyout proposal from the league will really benefit the large market teams.....IMO unfairly. Limit it to one buyout per team.

Lestat
01-03-2013, 09:40 PM
the cap floor while somewhat unfair to smaller market teams is in place to avoid squatting owners who are only interested in owning the team and using it to make money while never truly improving the product.
or in layman's terms, it's to avoid those ****ers like Jeffrey Loria of the Miami Marlins.

the real problem is owners refusing to divvy up the pie in a fair manner amongst each other and then dishing out ridiculous contracts that shouldn't be on the table to begin with. they scream cost control and then wiggle through rules to go beyond what they themselves asked for and than demand better cost control measures only to do the same damn thing all over.
they wanted to stop the bad contracts so they put in the salary cap, well once the cap was in place they wanted a way to sign key guys so they started dishing out crazy 12+ year deals and now get pissed when they get stuck with them.

Lestat
01-03-2013, 09:45 PM

Bettman is too concerned with crushing the NHLPA to put the good of the league and it's fans into consideration.
he thought if he pushed the NHLPA they'd cave like they did last time when they missed the season and bent over for the owners.

that's one of the reason Fehr was made head of the NHLPA.
because he is too prideful to ever lay down to the NHL and will push for a really fair deal for the players.

Beantown Bronco
01-04-2013, 07:18 AM
the cap floor while somewhat unfair to smaller market teams is in place to avoid squatting owners who are only interested in owning the team and using it to make money while never truly improving the product.
or in layman's terms, it's to avoid those ****ers like Jeffrey Loria of the Miami Marlins.

This is where I say: let the market work. Don't penalize 15-20 other small market owners for the bad acts of 1 or 2 owners. Do away with the cap floor and if the owners are THAT bad and aren't doing anything beside collecting money, the fans will stop going and there will be no profit. They'll be forced to keep losing money or they'll sell the team to someone who IS interested in doing it the right way and the problem will solve itself.

RedskinBronco
01-04-2013, 07:26 AM
How does bettman survive 3 lockouts. I'd like to know of one CEO who has survived that situation.

Fire his ass you monkeys

Beantown Bronco
01-04-2013, 07:40 AM
How does bettman survive 3 lockouts. I'd like to know of one CEO who has survived that situation.

Fire his ass you monkeys

Ummmm, because he's doing EXACTLY what his employers (the owners) want him to do and ordered him to do. This was never HIS choice.

RedskinBronco
01-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Ummmm, because he's doing EXACTLY what his employers (the owners) want him to do and ordered him to do. This was never HIS choice.

I unerstand that but that's why I said monkeys; morons are losing $$

Edit: it's their fault; they cry poor and then hand out ridiculous contracts

Broncos_OTM
01-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Doooooonnnnnnttttttt caaaaaarrreeeee. NHL lost me this time around for good.

SoCalBronco
01-05-2013, 04:42 PM
I know its only Eklund but he says very close to a deal. Most of the time he BSs but he does have a good track record when he puts an E5 on it....which is the case here. I hope he is right. Owners made a concession on next years cap today.

Lestat
01-05-2013, 05:38 PM
This is where I say: let the market work. Don't penalize 15-20 other small market owners for the bad acts of 1 or 2 owners. Do away with the cap floor and if the owners are THAT bad and aren't doing anything beside collecting money, the fans will stop going and there will be no profit. They'll be forced to keep losing money or they'll sell the team to someone who IS interested in doing it the right way and the problem will solve itself.

LOL this never happens. they'll complain, they swear they're done with the team but the reality is that fans would rather suffer through a bad franchise and be entertained so that they can say they were there through all the bad than to actually take their money away and force the team to improve.

look at almost any sport and pathetic franchises. fans won't give up something they enjoy to enact change.

24champ
01-05-2013, 06:18 PM
I know its only Eklund but he says very close to a deal. Most of the time he BSs but he does have a good track record when he puts an E5 on it....which is the case here. I hope he is right. Owners made a concession on next years cap today.

Yeah, the deal will get done.

Aftermath
01-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Heard owners agreed to cap of 65m(which is what players wanted). Looks promising if owners are giving players something.

SoCalBronco
01-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Heard owners agreed to cap of 65m(which is what players wanted). Looks promising if owners are giving players something.

If they did agree to 65 that would be huge.....also would suggest no buyouts.

Baba Booey
01-05-2013, 06:38 PM
@RealKyper: Cap # for 2013-14 season closing in. Confirmed #NHL offer up to 62.5M. Some suggest #NHLPA might settle at 64.3M which is last yrs Cap hit

Lestat
01-05-2013, 06:47 PM
not sure why in the hell the owners thought the players would settle for a big dip in the cap. takes too much money off the table for them.

Baba Booey
01-06-2013, 08:00 AM
@NHL: The NHL and NHLPA have reached a tentative agreement on the framework of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. http://t.co/p7emJGgQ

And we're back. Let's go Devils.

maher_tyler
01-06-2013, 09:42 AM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=649086

GAME ON!!!

24champ
01-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Kings will repeat!

Looking forward to banner night!

cabronco
01-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Glad to hear the news! Do it again Kings !! Woot

WABronco
01-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Just get me to the playoffs nucks...live for that ****.

Not that I've looked too hard to find out, but does anyone know what the scheduling will be like? If the Avs don't host Vancouver I'm going to be quite sad...

Lestat
01-06-2013, 11:49 AM
finally the Avs can play hockey! now i just need them to stop being cheap and get a top tier defenseman to pair with EJ and another scorer on the wing.

Lestat
01-06-2013, 11:49 AM

Not that I've looked too hard to find out, but does anyone know what the scheduling will be like? If the Avs don't host Vancouver I'm going to be quite sad...

don't think the schedule is set quite yet. season to be no shorter than 48, no longer than 52 games.

24champ
01-06-2013, 11:58 AM

Rumor is 50 games. 20 divisional games and 30 conference games.

So you are likely to see Avs and Canucks a few times.

Tombstone RJ
01-06-2013, 12:05 PM
wow, good news and go Avs!!

canadianbroncosfan
01-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Let's go HAWKS!!!!!

WABronco
01-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Most excellent...I'll be rocking the old school Linden. WOOT

SoCalBronco
01-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Lets go Pens!

24champ
01-06-2013, 01:21 PM

So you want to see this again?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R0Y5gLb0SgQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lestat
01-06-2013, 01:22 PM
oh how i love seeing Canuck misery.

ElwayMD
01-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Let's go Pens!

DivineLegion
01-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Can't wait to see Staal^3 in Red and Black!

Lestat
01-06-2013, 01:39 PM
can't wait to see Ovie and the Caps. my 2nd fav team and hopefully they finally hoist the cup.

DivineLegion
01-06-2013, 01:48 PM
can't wait to see Ovie and the Caps. my 2nd fav team and hopefully they finally hoist the cup.

Well they won't have a full season to fall apart like usual, so maybe. You have to get past the rebuilt Canes first. I would wish them good luck, but I don't have it in me. It's going to be fun watching Skinner, and Semin snipe the Caps. I can't wait!

WABronco
01-06-2013, 01:53 PM
So you want to see this again?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R0Y5gLb0SgQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

oh how i love seeing Canuck misery.

The hardships will only make it sweeter.

Lestat
01-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Well they won't have a full season to fall apart like usual, so maybe. You have to get past the rebuilt Canes first. I would wish them good luck, but I don't have it in me. It's going to be fun watching Skinner, and Semin snipe the Caps. I can't wait!

i wanted Semin on the Avs but the bastards were being cheap.
Ovie with Oates as coach should become better than ever.
now if the Avs could get a coach...

Lestat
01-06-2013, 01:56 PM
The hardships will only make it sweeter.

make what sweeter? being the San Diego Chargers of the NHL? ROFL!

WABronco
01-06-2013, 02:15 PM
make what sweeter? being the San Diego Chargers of the NHL? ROFL!

Wish I was cool enough to have two favorite teams!

Requiem
01-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Penguins will win it all.

broncocalijohn
01-06-2013, 02:17 PM
don't think the schedule is set quite yet. season to be no shorter than 48, no longer than 52 games.

Didnt think we would see that many games if a deal got done. Interesting to see this schedule. Training camp will be short as most of these guys were playing or at least staying in shape.

SoCalBronco
01-06-2013, 02:22 PM

QFT

Lestat
01-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Wish I was cool enough to have two favorite teams!

i greatly dislike the Canucks but it's true. they have been arguably the most talented team in the NHL the past 4-5, they had one of the top 2 goalies in the league and kept choking in some way in the playoffs.

SoCalBronco
01-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Excited to see what a healthy Sid can do. We need another defenseman tho and possibly another winger.

RedskinBronco
01-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Excited to see what a healthy Sid can do. We need another defenseman tho and possibly another winger.

the bolded is just never a true statement ;)

He is injury prone.

btw, I was at fedex today and people start chanting C-A-P-S caps caps caps in the 4th quarter and after game had ended.

I was thinking to myself; "I guess it's been so long that people forgot about the choke jobs" Thought you would like that as a pens fan lol

RedskinBronco
01-06-2013, 09:03 PM

FWIW, Brett Hull believes Ovie will blow up under Oates. Like 70+ goals blow up.

I forgot the exact article but it read like Ovie + Oates = deadly

RedskinBronco
01-06-2013, 09:04 PM

Is buttman fixing the outcome again? ;)

SoCalBronco
01-06-2013, 09:04 PM
the bolded is just never a true statement ;)

He is injury prone.

btw, I was at fedex today and people start chanting C-A-P-S caps caps caps in the 4th quarter and after game had ended.

I was thinking to myself; "I guess it's been so long that people forgot about the choke jobs" Thought you would like that as a pens fan lol

I don't think he is injury prone...he has only had the concussion issue and a high ankle sprain issue back in 08. He should be good to go now.

Not sure how good Washington will be this year. They lost Semin...but he also brought negatives to the team. PIT needs to add a winger and one more get defenseman.

RedskinBronco
01-06-2013, 09:12 PM
I don't think he is injury prone...he has only had the concussion issue and a high ankle sprain issue back in 08. He should be good to go now.

Not sure how good Washington will be this year. They lost Semin...but he also brought negatives to the team. PIT needs to add a winger and one more get defenseman.

He seems tentative to me, but we will find out. I do think this lockout helped him out from concussion standpoint.

As for the caps, fringe playoff team and need a deadline scoring winger acquisition IMO to be legit contender. Im glad they got rid of Semin, it was time to cut ties. Although, things always seem to work out for guys who go to Carolina and you can't go wrong with double Staal down the middle so I expect them to be at top of Southeast with TB/WSH fighting for 2nd.

maher_tyler
01-06-2013, 09:13 PM
i wanted Semin on the Avs but the bastards were being cheap.
Ovie with Oates as coach should become better than ever.
now if the Avs could get a coach...

You ready for another year of dump and chase hockey?? I can't stand Sacco...I almost didn't care there wasn't any hockey for that reason. I want to see major strides from Duchene. He was pretty disappointing last year.

RedskinBronco
01-06-2013, 09:13 PM
btw SoCal, is Fleury over his meltdown or are you guys still uneasy about what transpired last playoff?

SoCalBronco
01-06-2013, 09:18 PM
btw SoCal, is Fleury over his meltdown or are you guys still uneasy about what transpired last playoff?

People are uneasy. The Flower has been great in the regular season he last few years but outside of the TB series he has struggled recently in the postseason (MTL and PHI).

Actually PIT will have a great defense pretty soon to help him....but prolly not this year as most of our stud prospects are prolly a year away from making a meaningful contribution. They need Martin to get a lot better and fast.

Lestat
01-06-2013, 09:58 PM
You ready for another year of dump and chase hockey?? I can't stand Sacco...I almost didn't care there wasn't any hockey for that reason. I want to see major strides from Duchene. He was pretty disappointing last year.

Sacco is just a bad coach. his strategy and doghouse issues are wildly frustrating.
if he'd have more of a freed offensive system and less distinct restriction and dump hockey the team would play a lot better.

Goobzilla
01-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Still spending my $$$ on the Colorado Eagles. It will take me a while to get over this stoppage, regardless of who was at fault.

maher_tyler
01-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Sacco is just a bad coach. his strategy and doghouse issues are wildly frustrating.
if he'd have more of a freed offensive system and less distinct restriction and dump hockey the team would play a lot better.

I'm hoping most of it is just being a young team. At some point guys need to start producing. When your highest scorer has 55 points and the 18 year old rookie leads the team in goals, it usually means another year of no playoffs. Like I said earlier...I'm hoping for big things out of Duchene and Landeskog.

RedskinBronco
01-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Still spending my $$$ on the Colorado Eagles. It will take me a while to get over this stoppage, regardless of who was at fault.

Kudos to you. I gave up my caps season tickets to another STH. No obligations this year for that and I don't know when I will go back, if I do.

maher_tyler
01-06-2013, 10:29 PM

Your missing out. Hockeymonkey.com had killer deals on customized authentic jerseys.

Lestat
01-06-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm hoping most of it is just being a young team. At some point guys need to start producing. When your highest scorer has 55 points and the 18 year old rookie leads the team in goals, it usually means another year of no playoffs. Like I said earlier...I'm hoping for big things out of Duchene and Landeskog.

it's not just a young team. the only guy who got significantly better is ROR.
the rest either regressed or stayed the same.

Broncosman
01-08-2013, 05:56 AM
Your missing out. Hockeymonkey.com had killer deals on customized authentic jerseys.

how much did they charge ? i heard that weike charge 100 dollars for one .

BroncoLifer
01-08-2013, 10:57 AM
So I've been looking (hfboards mostly) trying to figure out what either side got out of the deal that required losing half the season. So far as I can tell, the final agreement is very close to what the sides had on the table back in Sep/Oct and whatever gain either side may have made was offset by the loss of half a year's revenue/salaries.

Is that wrong? In the end, was there really anything other than personalities that lost us so many games?

Beantown Bronco
01-08-2013, 11:04 AM
So I've been looking (hfboards mostly) trying to figure out what either side got out of the deal that required losing half the season. So far as I can tell, the final agreement is very close to what the sides had on the table back in Sep/Oct and whatever gain either side may have made was offset by the loss of half a year's revenue/salaries.

Is that wrong? In the end, was there really anything other than personalities that lost us so many games?

It's not just you. The 50/50 by year 4 and 7/8 year max contracts were all pretty much a given, despite what they were saying publicly.

I really thought the holdup was going to be over years of service before FA, guaranteed contracts and arbitration.....the REAL big issues IMO. But those never even came up and all are completely unchanged. It's really stupid how this all went down and there was absolutely no need for it to drag out this long given how few items they really addressed.

bronco militia
01-08-2013, 11:05 AM

ask the owners...they are the ones that locked out the players

24champ
01-08-2013, 02:29 PM
It's not just you. The 50/50 by year 4 and 7/8 year max contracts were all pretty much a given, despite what they were saying publicly.

I really thought the holdup was going to be over years of service before FA, guaranteed contracts and arbitration.....the REAL big issues IMO. But those never even came up and all are completely unchanged. It's really stupid how this all went down and there was absolutely no need for it to drag out this long given how few items they really addressed.

Right and we'll be right back in the same situation when the new CBA expires.

SoCalBronco
01-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Brian Burke fired.

Beantown Bronco
01-10-2013, 03:13 PM
Socal:

How did I beat you to this? Lockout Damage Control/Fan appreciation in Pittsburgh.

From NHL.com...

The Pittsburgh Penguins will offer FREE selected concession items and “half off” all merchandise at the team’s first four games at CONSOL Energy Center.

Every fan attending each of those games will receive a voucher for three free concession items. Fans may choose from among hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches, nachos, popcorn, pretzels, salads and fountain drinks.

All merchandise at “PensGear” stores will be half off for the first four games. The PensGear store in the main lobby of CONSOL Energy Center and PensGear at SouthSide Works will offer the half-off discount throughout the day on the first four home dates.

In addition, the Penguins will hold a week-long program of contests for fans to win exciting prizes leading up to the home opener. The contests will be held via social media and the team’s website. Prizes include:

A pair of tickets to every home game during the 2013 regular season
A road trip for two to see the Penguins play the Rangers in New York City (airfare, accommodations, tickets)
Three autographed jerseys – one each from Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Marc-Andre Fleury
Four seats in the first row at the home opener, including dinner in the Lexus Club and limo service to and from the game
Two five-game mini-plans
Six lower bowl tickets to any regular season game
$700 of merchandise at PensGear
Training camp sessions at CONSOL Energy Center will be open to the public (free admission).

The Penguins will distribute promotional items at each of the first 15 home games. All fans attending the home opener will receive a gold “Great Day For Hockey” t-shirt.

The team will provide single-game ticket information as soon as the NHL schedule is released. Updates about fan initiatives will be announced in the coming days.

SoCalBronco
01-10-2013, 03:25 PM
That's very nice. I wish the discount on stuff applied to the team website too.

Beantown Bronco
01-10-2013, 03:35 PM
That's very nice. I wish the discount on stuff applied to the team website too.

Bruins boards are lighting up with this and some of the other teams' promotions. They're all assuming Jacobs, the cheap bastage, will either give out 500 mini team posters or a free bag of popcorn at a 2013-2014 preseason game.

maher_tyler
01-10-2013, 05:46 PM
how much did they charge ? i heard that weike charge 100 dollars for one .

$170 including shipping & handling. It's a legit authentic jersey and has my name on it. I'm seeing Ads for this website on NHLN now. They sell everything from jerseys to sticks to skates. Awesome website.

RedskinBronco
01-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Per Darren Dreger, the Kings are giving back $1M to the LA Community.

Tampa Bay is offering 200 season ticket packages for $200 each. Something like $8 per ticket. Not sure if they sold out of those yet...

Beantown Bronco
01-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Tampa Bay is offering 200 season ticket packages for $200 each. Something like $8 per ticket. Not sure if they sold out of those yet...

If they didn't sell out in 5 minutes, they should be contracted from the NHL......immediately.

Baba Booey
01-10-2013, 06:56 PM
This whole Kovalchuk situation...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IPxYI_hh-mc/UCfxYWJBlOI/AAAAAAAAALM/rAyk0FoJC4c/s1600/sp_1007_03_v6.jpg

Bronco X
01-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Per Darren Dreger, the Kings are giving back $1M to the LA Community.

Perhaps insignificant, but I'd appreciate the gestures as fans of those teams. Why do I get the feeling that here in Denver the ambivalent owner would be more likely to try and milk more money from the fans to offset lost revenue than offer any gesture or token of reconciliation.

oubronco
01-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Went to a hockey game in Tulsa last week with some buds we didn't understand why when a guy has the puck and is breaking away down court or whatever when they get past midwhatever why the ref kept blowing the play dead

What gives?

Bronco X
01-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Went to a hockey game in Tulsa last week with some buds we didn't understand why when a guy has the puck and is breaking away down court or whatever when they get past midwhatever why the ref kept blowing the play dead

What gives?

Probably an "offsides" call (player entering offensive zone --the blue line-- before the puck).

RedskinBronco
01-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Perhaps insignificant, but I'd appreciate the gestures as fans of those teams. Why do I get the feeling that here in Denver the ambivalent owner would be more likely to try and milk more money from the fans to offset lost revenue than offer any gesture or token of reconciliation.

Tell me about it, lots of complaints in the DC area about Leonsis recently; guess snyder is now getting a break.

He is reportedly to have been one of the guys that had a big role from the owners' side and he has received a lot of criticism, so much that he apologized today for his role.

In addition, with the criticism of him vetoing a James Harden trade because he didn't want to give the 5 yr 80M extension; he is also getting criticized for milking the caps fan base with high ticket prices. Face value for upper deck is anywhere between $65 (for crappy teams) to $95 for traditional rivals (Pens, Flyers, etc.)

Just to give you an idea, that's more than the redskins upper deck price of $64 per game.

Ted Leonsis is not in good standing right now...he had better hope the caps don't implode or he is screwed between the wizards/caps and an empty arena.

24champ
01-10-2013, 10:42 PM
This whole Kovalchuk situation...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IPxYI_hh-mc/UCfxYWJBlOI/AAAAAAAAALM/rAyk0FoJC4c/s1600/sp_1007_03_v6.jpg

It's always something with Kovie. Glad he did not sign with the kings.

Baba Booey
01-16-2013, 01:41 PM
It's always something with Kovie. Glad he did not sign with the kings.

Turns out he had the Devils' permission to stay until after the all star game all along, so there wasn't much of a situation at all. Aside from that he's an incredible teammate by all accounts.

Devils just resigned Zajac to an eight-year extension at $5.75 per. Great deal as it was absolutely essential to get him locked up for the long term.

socalorado
01-16-2013, 01:47 PM
http://www.imadm.com/blog/images/cartman_kings-b.jpg

SoCalBronco
01-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Turns out he had the Devils' permission to stay until after the all star game all along, so there wasn't much of a situation at all. Aside from that he's an incredible teammate by all accounts.

Devils just resigned Zajac to an eight-year extension at $5.75 per. Great deal as it was absolutely essential to get him locked up for the long term.

Zajac is an excellent player...smart move

Beantown Bronco
01-16-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm starting to get fired up about this season now. I managed to get tix to this Saturday's B's opener vs the Rangers and it's finally starting to sink in now that we're actually going to have a season.

Jacobs actually caved and is giving out tshirts, free food and drinks and giveaways before and during the game. I'm all about the free stuff. They're even doing a "shirt off the back" ceremony after the game too. Those are always fun.

It's Tuukka time!

underrated29
01-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Zajac is an excellent player...smart move

Yes he is. I watched his younger brother play the other day when cornell played DU. It was a good game. DU swept the two game stand but there was some good hockey there.

Will be interesting to see how his lil bro develops.

underrated29
01-16-2013, 02:34 PM
$170 including shipping & handling. It's a legit authentic jersey and has my name on it. I'm seeing Ads for this website on NHLN now. They sell everything from jerseys to sticks to skates. Awesome website.

Yeah, their prices are usually really good too. I typically find what I want on their site and then go into my local playersbench and have them match it. I would like to give it to hockeymonkey, but I need to support my local business.

Every now and then when I need things I dont have to try or get a feel for- like laces, tape, new bag or cage for my helmet i will order it from monkey.

Baba Booey
01-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Yes he is. I watched his younger brother play the other day when cornell played DU. It was a good game. DU swept the two game stand but there was some good hockey there.

Will be interesting to see how his lil bro develops.

His other two younger brothers have already signed with the Devils. Darcy plays for their AHL affiliate in Albany and Kelly plays in the ECHL. Both are centers like Travis.

Nolan is the one that plays for DU, but he's a defenseman. He was scheduled to come to Devils prospect camp this past summer but I think he was already taking summer classes or something and couldn't make it.

24champ
01-18-2013, 11:25 AM
TSN season preview show say they see a Kings/Pittsburgh Finals with the Pens winning. However, it was the consensus but a couple of the panelists expect the Kings to repeat.

SoCalBronco
01-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Who was the genius who scheduled the LA/CHI game at the same time and channel as PIT/PHI....I'm sure I will get the Kings game. I have Center Ice but they won't play a game that is on NBC. So how the **** can I watch the game now?

Beantown Bronco
01-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Who was the genius who scheduled the LA/CHI game at the same time and channel as PIT/PHI....I'm sure I will get the Kings game. I have Center Ice but they won't play a game that is on NBC. So how the **** can I watch the game now?

Catch a last minute flight and tix to the game. :)

Lestat
01-18-2013, 12:07 PM
glad hockey is back. now i need Ryan O'Reilly to get his head out of his ass and sign a new deal with the Avs.

LetsGoBroncos
01-18-2013, 12:23 PM
glad hockey is back. now i need Ryan O'Reilly to get his head out of his ass and sign a new deal with the Avs.

That is the Avs fault...they gotta quit being cheap. Dude is their leader. He runs stairs after games, time to pay up.

Lestat
01-18-2013, 12:50 PM
That is the Avs fault...they gotta quit being cheap. Dude is their leader. He runs stairs after games, time to pay up.

i was on his side before it was reported he turned down 5 years and 17 mil and wants closer to 5 mil a year on a new deal.
that **** ain't gonna happen when you're a RFA and you you only have 1 season over 30 pts.
you can't demand more than Duchene when he has 2 good seasons to your 1.

24champ
01-18-2013, 01:00 PM

They would have showed them early, at 9am our time but tradition is that the Cup winner kicks off the season.

You could probably watch the game via first row sports.

Beantown Bronco
01-18-2013, 02:12 PM
B's pre-game pub crawl starts at 1:00PM tomorrow. Game at 7.

Things could get ugly.

Baba Booey
01-18-2013, 05:48 PM
B's pre-game pub crawl starts at 1:00PM tomorrow. Game at 7.

Things could get ugly.

Is that the one Barstool is doing? Should be fun.

SoCalBronco
01-19-2013, 12:07 AM
TSN season preview show say they see a Kings/Pittsburgh Finals with the Pens winning. .

I'd love to see this.....but I dont know if they can do it with the defense. Pittsburgh's defense should be among the league's very best....in a year or two considering we have probably the deepest group of high level defenseman prospects in the league, but none of them are really ready yet, so the 2013 unit will likely continue to struggle. Despres will play this year....likely on the third pairing, but guys like Morrow, Harrington, Dumoulin etc will require another year of seasoning before hitting the big leagues.

I do expect Robert Bortuzzo to surprise this year though. Not sure if the rest of the veteran group can be relied on for a Cup run.

Beantown Bronco
01-19-2013, 07:06 AM
Is that the one Barstool is doing? Should be fun.

Yup. Those guys are maniacs.

Baba Booey
01-19-2013, 07:28 AM
Yup. Those guys are maniacs.

Yeah luckily I went to their event at my school (UNH) before they banned them haha. That was way back in like '09.

RedskinBronco
01-19-2013, 10:31 AM
It's funny to me that all the experts expect crosby to stay healthy and the pens obliterate everyone but yet they raise past injury/concussion issues for reasons why all other teams won't win.

I mean I get it; crosby = canada's golden child; but no one is as big homers as canada is when it comes to hockey.

Pens don't win anything without Malkin. He is the key IMO.

Baba Booey
01-19-2013, 11:07 AM
I read a stat the other day that said in his last ~79 games (NHL or KHL), Malkin has like 133 points.

SoCalBronco
01-19-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm really ****ing angry I can't watch this game. WTF is the point of Center Ice if they won't show the ****ing game? This is ****ing ridiculous

Ray Finkle
01-19-2013, 02:22 PM
I'd love to see this.....but I dont know if they can do it with the defense. Pittsburgh's defense should be among the league's very best....in a year or two considering we have probably the deepest group of high level defenseman prospects in the league, but none of them are really ready yet, so the 2013 unit will likely continue to struggle. Despres will play this year....likely on the third pairing, but guys like Morrow, Harrington, Dumoulin etc will require another year of seasoning before hitting the big leagues.

I do expect Robert Bortuzzo to surprise this year though. Not sure if the rest of the veteran group can be relied on for a Cup run.

HHAHAHAHAHA.....they'll be better than Staal, Girardi, Mac, Del Zotto.....not to mention the guys they in the minors?

chadta
01-19-2013, 03:16 PM
HHAHAHAHAHA.....they'll be better than Staal, Girardi, Mac, Del Zotto.....not to mention the guys they in the minors?

yeah but you guys have a goalie

Ray Finkle
01-19-2013, 04:03 PM
yeah but you guys have a goalie

and more North American based players than European......always a recipe for success.

SoCalBronco
01-19-2013, 04:11 PM
PIT 3 PHI 1

Was able to watch the last two periods on the NBC Sports Live app on my IPad. I don't think we played particularly well but it is always good to get a win on the road in the division especially against a rival. Sutter Flower and Neal are my 3 stars. Sutter looks like a good replacement for Staal.

SoCalBronco
01-19-2013, 04:12 PM
PIT 3 PHI 1

Was able to watch the last two periods on the NBC Sports Live app on my IPad. I don't think we played particularly well but it is always good to get a win on the road in the division especially against a rival. Sutter Flower and Neal are my 3 stars. Sutter looks like a good replacement for Staal.

canadianbroncosfan
01-19-2013, 04:14 PM
I'm really ****ing angry I can't watch this game. WTF is the point of Center Ice if they won't show the ****ing game? This is ****ing ridiculous

Well at least you got the third period, man that **** pisses me off.

Oh well, at least they did it because the 'Hawks were up by three.

Great start to the season, knocking off the defending champs.

chadta
01-19-2013, 06:24 PM
PIT 3 PHI 1

I gotta start watching games like that, cuz i swear, this team takes the first period off more than this years broncos, its brutal, there was a stretch last year of like 11 games in a row where the other team scored first.

right back at it tommorrow, in buffalo, may actually go to the game, buddy of mine has an extra ticket, Im on call tho so if i cant get coverage it aint gonna happen. Son is kind of upset that he doesnt have 2 extras, so i may just skip it and wait till the april game so i can take the whole family.

Aftermath
01-19-2013, 09:51 PM

Yea, GameCenter wouldnt work for most the day either. Supposedly it was because there was a free trial and they had way more people than they expected. Either way I think its complete bu11sh1t to screw over us who paid. Once it started working though I was able to watch like 6 games today.

Aftermath
01-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Oops. I just noticed you were probably talking about the blackout. Yes, that is stupid as well. Flyers have like 20 games this year that I wont be able to watch on Gamecenter because they will be on NHLN or NBC or NBCS. I work nights and dont have a TV so I bought gamecenter so I could watch the Flyers on my phone at work, and for those nights Im screwed. effing stupid.

maher_tyler
01-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Ugh...same ole Avs. As I watch former Avs players lighting up score sheets across the league. Wtf does the Avs organization see in Sucko??? Its clearly the coaching yet they signed him to an extension...if we some how make the playoffs i'll be shocked!

Chris Stewart 2 goals
Shattenkirk 2 assists
Fleischmann 1 assist
Mueller 1 assist
Wolski 1 goal 1 assist
Winnik 2 goals
Anderson 1 ga 96.4 save%

Lestat
01-19-2013, 10:37 PM
Ugh...same ole Avs. As I watch former Avs players lighting up score sheets across the league. Wtf does the Avs organization see in Sucko??? Its clearly the coaching yet they signed him to an extension...if we some how make the playoffs i'll be shocked!

Chris Stewart 2 goals
Shattenkirk 2 assists
Fleischmann 1 assist
Mueller 1 assist
Wolski 1 goal 1 assist
Winnik 2 goals
Anderson 1 ga 96.4 save%

Flash was a health issue. he couldn't stay in Colorado, it was threatening his life.
Stewart is lazy as **** and while i hated losing Shattenkirk the value we got on that trade was insane.
Mueller should still be an Av.
Wolski is never consistent so he's a non starter.
Winnik wanted way more money than he's worth and the traded netted us McGinn and prospects.
Anderson caught a yeast infection about his contract and quit on the team.
i'll take Varly over him any day.

maher_tyler
01-19-2013, 10:52 PM
Flash was a health issue. he couldn't stay in Colorado, it was threatening his life.
Stewart is lazy as **** and while i hated losing Shattenkirk the value we got on that trade was insane.
Mueller should still be an Av.
Wolski is never consistent so he's a non starter.
Winnik wanted way more money than he's worth and the traded netted us McGinn and prospects.
Anderson caught a yeast infection about his contract and quit on the team.
i'll take Varly over him any day.

Wolski for Mueller in hind sight was a bad trade. I thought Wolski was playing his best hockey when we traded him. Now we don't have either one. I like Johnson he came on strong the last half of last year. I liked Winnik but like McGinn more. Avs keep being cheap asses and they'll end up losing O'Rielly. I was pointing former Avs players playing well after leaving...saying Sacco is not getting the best out of the players. It's frustrating...

Beantown Bronco
01-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Jesus, I'm still drunk from last night's game.

Baba Booey
01-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Marty and the Devils' D were in mid-season form last night.

RedskinBronco
01-20-2013, 11:23 AM
I have watched 4 games and a few highlights so far and I am not really impressed with any team.

Maybe it's just the long lay off and a lot of these guys not being in game shape, etc.

But damn every team thus far looks average to below average with MANY mistakes/breakdowns.

chadta
01-20-2013, 11:32 AM
2nd game in a row down in the first 10 minutes of the game, kinda glad im watching the game from the comfort of my basement and not at the rink

BroncosSR
01-20-2013, 12:23 PM
2nd game in a row down in the first 10 minutes of the game, kinda glad im watching the game from the comfort of my basement and not at the rink

Yep. New year, same team. G looks good but definitely missing Briere on PP. Need to be putting more pressure on PK.

gyldenlove
01-20-2013, 02:34 PM
My NHL thoughts:

WC:

Locks to make playoffs: St Louis, Vancouver, Chicago, San Jose, Los Angeles
Bubble teams: Detroit, Calgary, Anaheim, Minnesota
Not making it: Edmonton, Columbus, Nashville, Dallas, Phoenix, Colorado

EC:

Locks: Rangers, Philadelphia, Boston, Pittsburgh, New Jersey
Bubble teams: Washington, Tampa Bay, Ottawa, Carolina
Not making it: Toronto, Montreal, Islanders, Buffalo, Florida, Winnipeg

I think we will look back at this season and consider it a footnote in the history books, no significant records, no great play and poor playoffs. I think for a lot of teams it would be advantageous to not make the playoffs or lose quickly in round 1, the playoffs this year will go very long and they will want to begin next years season early to make room for the Olympic break, so teams going deep in the playoffs will have almost no summer and very little time to heal and rest.

My prediction is that at least one of the teams in the Stanley cup final this season will miss next seasons playoffs entirely and none of the teams in this years cup final will make it out of round 2 in next seasons playoffs.

RedskinBronco
01-20-2013, 03:30 PM
My NHL thoughts:

WC:

EC:

I think we will look back at this season and consider it a footnote in the history books, no significant records, no great play and poor playoffs. I think for a lot of teams it would be advantageous to not make the playoffs or lose quickly in round 1, the playoffs this year will go very long and they will want to begin next years season early to make room for the Olympic break, so teams going deep in the playoffs will have almost no summer and very little time to heal and rest.

My prediction is that at least one of the teams in the Stanley cup final this season will miss next seasons playoffs entirely and none of the teams in this years cup final will make it out of round 2 in next seasons playoffs.

Only thing I don't agree with here is in the EC. NJ Devils lost a lot and I think they miss.

I also am really skeptical of philly. The thing is, even if they aren't as good as years past, not many teams improved enough to knock them out of the top 8.

For sure: Rangers, Bruins, Pens

The other 5 will be any combination of Sens, Lightning, Canes, Caps, Sabres, Panthers, Devils, flyers

I see Isles, Jets, Canadiens and Leafs as having no chance at all.

i really have no clue which of those 5. I am not high on panthers, flyers, caps or devils this year.

I think sabres get back in this year so they probably replace devils from last year's top 8 and then it's a matter of who of panthers, flyers, and caps drops out. I don't believe sens will drop out.

So 4 potential new spots up for grabs IMO

maher_tyler
01-20-2013, 04:35 PM
My NHL thoughts:

WC:

EC:

Pretty bold considering how bad Vancouver played. I'd put Minnesota in before Vancouver and San Jose.

gyldenlove
01-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Pretty bold considering how bad Vancouver played. I'd put Minnesota in before Vancouver and San Jose.

Vancouver will need a couple of weeks to get going, most of their top guys didn't play during the lockout, but they have too much talent up and down the roster. Minnesota is a really dangerous team, I don't like them, their top players have never played together, they have very little good leadership, every player on the team aside from Koivu is a follower, not a leader. They also travel a LOT, I think they have the most travel miles of any team this season which is never good, too many west coast swings.

The Devils will do what they have done for 20 years, ride Martin Brodeur to the playoffs, with a short season he will hold up better than usual and I fully expect that to be good enough, it almost always is.

Flyers are an easy team to put in, they can score with any team in the league, they don't travel very far given their location and they have a pretty solid home ice advantage.

I don't like the Caps much, but I do think they are the best of the southleast division at least until Tampa Bay or Carolina proves otherwise. Florida is a team I don't like at all, I am guessing they will win some early but then fade away as the going gets tough.

I have Toronto, Columbus and Montreal as my bottom 3 in the league.

Lestat
01-20-2013, 05:12 PM
i want Sacco gone badly. he's a terrible coach and bull****s with the lineup and putting people in the dog house too much.
i think bringing Quinn up to the bench helps develop the players more and end up getting more out of them.

maher_tyler
01-20-2013, 05:24 PM
i want Sacco gone badly. he's a terrible coach and bull****s with the lineup and putting people in the dog house too much.
i think bringing Quinn up to the bench helps develop the players more and end up getting more out of them.

I thought for sure he was as good as gone after last year. Then they gave him an extension. I guess the FO is cool with watching dump and chance uninspired hockey.

SoCalBronco
01-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Pens playing very well so far outside of stupid penalties. Sid looks very active tonight. Despres and Martin are struggling.

Lestat
01-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Sacco is akin to McDaniels for me. we'll never get to the next level until he's gone.
but for some damn reason to team loves him.

chadta
01-20-2013, 06:16 PM
So just days before the lockout, the wild spend almost 200mil on 2 players, then cry broke, now just days after the lockout, zajac and lupul both get contracts over 5 mil per year, good god, 8 years until the next lockout. Dont get me wrong, they are both nice players, and maybe with a 70 mil cap they may almost be worth 5 mil.

I had an arguement with scott hartnell ( or the person that reps him on facebook) about why a 60 point player should not get 4.5 mil a year, well thanks to these 2 signings i just lost argument, i mean lupuls got 60 points once, zajac has done it twice and they get a mil more than an overpaid hartnell.

That being said, the good news is the flyers have yet to give up a 5 on 5 goal, the bad news is they have given up 5 power play, 2 empty net, and 1 4 on 4 goals.

RedskinBronco
01-20-2013, 06:25 PM
So just days before the lockout, the wild spend almost 200mil on 2 players, then cry broke, now just days after the lockout, zajac and lupul both get contracts over 5 mil per year, good god, 8 years until the next lockout. Dont get me wrong, they are both nice players, and maybe with a 70 mil cap they may almost be worth 5 mil.

I had an arguement with scott hartnell ( or the person that reps him on facebook) about why a 60 point player should not get 4.5 mil a year, well thanks to these 2 signings i just lost argument, i mean lupuls got 60 points once, zajac has done it twice and they get a mil more than an overpaid hartnell.

That being said, the good news is the flyers have yet to give up a 5 on 5 goal, the bad news is they have given up 5 power play, 2 empty net, and 1 4 on 4 goals.

Exactly on the wild crying poor and then spending all the $$$; they need to stfu.

Also when someone like lupul gets 5 yrs at 5.25M per you expect fans not to be upset about the lockout.

It's complete bull ****, they keep spending but the cry every 5 years. **** off

SoCalBronco
01-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Hank gets pulled....haha.

SoCalBronco
01-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Wow...this is beautiful puck possession in the offensive zone.

SoCalBronco
01-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Kneel before your masters, Finkle.

Kneel.

Lestat
01-20-2013, 06:45 PM
i said it during every sports lockout. owners are the cause of crazy salaries and deals.
they make the issues and then cry for cost certainty and then when they get it, they give out the exact same contracts that got them into the mess to begin with.

gyldenlove
01-20-2013, 07:04 PM

The owners always bargain from a position of strength when they do the CBA, but when it comes to bargaining with individual players the owners lose every time. 5+ million for Lupul and Zajac is outrageous, contracts like the Wade Redden, Jeff Finger, Mike Cammalleri, Jiri Hudler, Dennis Wideman are just bad jokes.

Ray Finkle
01-20-2013, 07:26 PM

Kneel.

you must be confusing me with the cork slurping Cyndei.....Finkle don't kneel.

SoCalBronco
01-20-2013, 07:31 PM
you must be confusing me with the cork slurping Cyndei.....Finkle don't kneel.

5-2....you're already kneeling.

brncs_fan
01-20-2013, 07:36 PM
I am about 99.9% sure that I am going to watch a Hockey game this year!

SoCalBronco
01-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Nice 6-3 beat down for PIT. 2 division road wins to start the year. Huge.

Requiem
01-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Flying so high.

gyldenlove
01-21-2013, 08:29 PM
I have never seen a Mike Babcock team play this stupid, undisciplined and lazy. I understand that the passing game is not going to as crisp as it was, when you replace Nicklas Lidstrom and Brad Stuart with Carlo Coliacovo and Kyle Quincey, you lose almost a year of hockey and you add in several guys who have never played with the team before, there will be some rust. But I have never seen players at this level make so many stupid plays, 4 Red Wings carry the puck out the zone, all skating on a straight line across the ice, nobody curls back and gives a passing outlet, nobody drops to the far boards, they just happily keeps skating in straight lines so one opponent can block all passing lanes.

This Red Wings team is taking so many stupid penalties because of lazy play and poor positioning.

RedskinBronco
01-21-2013, 09:33 PM
I have never seen a Mike Babcock team play this stupid, undisciplined and lazy. I understand that the passing game is not going to as crisp as it was, when you replace Nicklas Lidstrom and Brad Stuart with Carlo Coliacovo and Kyle Quincey, you lose almost a year of hockey and you add in several guys who have never played with the team before, there will be some rust. But I have never seen players at this level make so many stupid plays, 4 Red Wings carry the puck out the zone, all skating on a straight line across the ice, nobody curls back and gives a passing outlet, nobody drops to the far boards, they just happily keeps skating in straight lines so one opponent can block all passing lanes.

This Red Wings team is taking so many stupid penalties because of lazy play and poor positioning.

I feel like they will have a down year this year and really struggle. Only so much Babcock can do IMO.

They will go as far as Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Kronwall take them. Franzen is always hurt and the other guys are complimentary type guys.

I'm just not sure 40 and 13 have the energy to carry the team. Two guys that are so good and very competitive but I just see Detroit struggling this year.

SoCalBronco
01-21-2013, 10:00 PM
I was certainly shocked to see Ken Holland say they might not make the playoffs this year. I could never imagine Holland saying something like that.

24champ
01-21-2013, 11:53 PM
Ducks are looking pretty dangerous, granted its only 2 games but they are showing some serious firepower.

Overall, lots of rust across the league and injuries are already popping up. Kings lost Matt Greene for the season.

Aftermath
01-22-2013, 01:36 AM
Blues probably my favorite to come out the West. That team is stacked. Add Tarasenko (Tank) and Schwartz to the mix. My god.

socalorado
01-22-2013, 06:57 AM
Ducks are looking pretty dangerous, granted its only 2 games but they are showing some serious firepower.

Overall, lots of rust across the league and injuries are already popping up. Kings lost Matt Greene for the season.

Ducks got big. Added some serious bulk, and now they are throwing it around. They also went to 4 lines, and the Koivu line is scorching hot.

gyldenlove
01-22-2013, 08:07 AM
I feel like they will have a down year this year and really struggle. Only so much Babcock can do IMO.

They will go as far as Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Kronwall take them. Franzen is always hurt and the other guys are complimentary type guys.

I'm just not sure 40 and 13 have the energy to carry the team. Two guys that are so good and very competitive but I just see Detroit struggling this year.

Franzen has not been playing well since the playoffs a few years ago, he is more than willing to play in that space in front of the net but he doesn't have the reaction time to make big plays in that area and away from the net he is surely turning into Thomas Holmstrom, slow and not very strong on the puck - his decline has really been dramatic.

One problem I am seeing with this team is the reliance on experienced players, there are young players in the system who provide energy and speed, which the roster is very thin on currently, but over the last 3 years we have seen the young players again and again be benched in favour of older and slower players.

Detroit will definitely struggle this year, the team is traditionally slow starters who ramp up this time of year. I think the team needs to rethink a lot of their strategies, especially the special teams seem to to completely out of tune with what is current. The power play has only 1 point man which results in a lot of shots from the half boards where the angle is cut way down and a lot of moving the puck up and down the boards instead of side to side. On special teams the reliance on the tight square formation means giving up a ton of shots from just above the circles since the box collapses completely around the net when the puck is low and then when it is moved back to the point they can't expand quickly enough to get in shooting lanes. If they went with the diamond formation instead and kept one guy higher to harass the point more consistently I believe they could force shots to come from worse angles.

gyldenlove
01-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Blues probably my favorite to come out the West. That team is stacked. Add Tarasenko (Tank) and Schwartz to the mix. My god.

I like the Blackhawks from the West.

broncocalijohn
01-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Ducks got big. Added some serious bulk, and now they are throwing it around. They also went to 4 lines, and the Koivu line is scorching hot.

Very much so. Visnousky was shown the door to bulk up on power plays. Getting pushed around doesn't help a high % scoring opportunity. Blowing out Vancouver was huge and still chugging along in Canada against the Flames. Key is selanne still kicking ass at 42 (short season should help) andGetzlaf stop sucking as a captain.

socalorado
01-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Very much so. Visnousky was shown the door to bulk up on power plays. Getting pushed around doesn't help a high % scoring opportunity. Blowing out Vancouver was huge and still chugging along in Canada against the Flames. Key is selanne still kicking ass at 42 (short season should help) andGetzlaf stop sucking as a captain.

Rumors abound that the Sharks are looking to dump Ryan Clowe. Cap issues.
Man, if the Ducks could throw a goalie and a player at them , that would be huge. Ducks are literally loaded at goalie. Keep Gibson though.
Hard to trade or move players in the division though.

Lestat
01-22-2013, 11:38 AM
the Blues scare the crap out of me in the west. just stacked at every level. no elite goalie but two really good ones.

oubronco
01-22-2013, 07:33 PM
Yea Hockey

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/yHUcHYIz5GBSEKq9NdwryA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00OTU7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_US/Sports/USA_Today/20130119_jla_se7_341-398348fcf12d80c4c13f8da44ab8750c

SoCalBronco
01-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Washington looks punch less so far. Bad loss at home to Winnipeg to go to 0-2. Still early.

Philly is a few minutes away from 0-3....in a 48 game season that is not good.

chadta
01-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Washington looks punch less so far. Bad loss at home to Winnipeg to go to 0-2. Still early.

Philly is a few minutes away from 0-3....in a 48 game season that is not good.

3rd game in a row down by a goal in the first 5 minutes, going back to last year i think thats like 20 out of the last 25 games.

As bad as the D has been, Bryz hasnt really been that bad, when you only score 3 goals in 3 games you arent going to win many.

Weve had 4 goals go into our net off our own players, and weve had 3 goals called back by the refs.

This year is already starting to remind me of the year we were so bad we lost the draft lottery. Can we have the lockout back.

SoCalBronco
01-22-2013, 09:55 PM
3rd game in a row down by a goal in the first 5 minutes, going back to last year i think thats like 20 out of the last 25 games.

As bad as the D has been, Bryz hasnt really been that bad, when you only score 3 goals in 3 games you arent going to win many.

Weve had 4 goals go into our net off our own players, and weve had 3 goals called back by the refs.

This year is already starting to remind me of the year we were so bad we lost the draft lottery. Can we have the lockout back.

I think Briere is still out so thats a factor, offensive production will improve when he returns.

Requiem
01-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Sid and Geno are going to be drinking Patron out the Stanley Cup.

24champ
01-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Kings blow it in the third period. Oy.

maher_tyler
01-22-2013, 11:12 PM

Have you seen Chicago? They've looked good in all 3 games they've played. Nice win by the Avs tonight. Though I fully expect them to play like ass their next game. If really hope the prove me wrong but its been the same story for the Avs the last 2 years.

bronco militia
01-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Kings blow it in the third period. Oy.

the kings first blown lead after two periods in 3 seasons..

GO AVS! :charge:

bronco militia
01-23-2013, 09:34 PM
ooooof!...the avs lost steve downie for the year with a torn ACL

maher_tyler
01-23-2013, 09:51 PM
ooooof!...the avs lost steve downie for the year with a torn ACL

Seems like the Avs get hit with the injury bug every year. Maybe they need some of those Power Plates.

SoCalBronco
01-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Sid with a goal and assist.....unfortunately almost no one else showed up against Toronto.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-25-2013, 10:28 AM

Because they are a very bad team. 3 bad losses to 3 non-playoff teams from last year.

GMGM sucks. Time to clean house.

underrated29
01-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Im so happy to see detroit sucking. My least favorite and most hated team of any sport ever! Last time they came out of the lockout waaaaaaaay ahead of everyone else.
Now its nice to see the tables might have turned a little bit. Thomas did have a ridiculous save the other night though.

Ray Finkle
01-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Because they are a very bad team. 3 bad losses to 3 non-playoff teams from last year.

GMGM sucks. Time to clean house.

Ovie's ran 3 coaches out of town.....it's not hard to see the root of the problem. If he and Green weren't out boozing in Arlington all the time, maybe Ovie would be in better shape.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-25-2013, 12:59 PM
This isn't an Ovy thing, it's a GM that's hired 5 head coaches in his tenure and none have ever been a HC at the NHL level before.

It's a soft, unskilled team that's still immature because he thought they could all grow up together and none of them grew up.

Ray Finkle
01-25-2013, 01:11 PM
This isn't an Ovy thing, it's a GM that's hired 5 head coaches in his tenure and none have ever been a HC at the NHL level before.

It's a soft, unskilled team that's still immature because he thought they could all grow up together and none of them grew up.

and I believe that falls a lot on Ovie. He wants to do, what he wants to do. The first tough coach he had was Hunter. Hunter couldn't wait to get out of DC.....

What needed to be done was to give him a Mike Keenan/Hitchcock style head coach early on instead of letting him just be Ovie.

I think if that happened, he career would have gone more like Steve Yzerman than the current projectory of Alex Kovalev.

gyldenlove
01-25-2013, 01:44 PM
and I believe that falls a lot on Ovie. He wants to do, what he wants to do. The first tough coach he had was Hunter. Hunter couldn't wait to get out of DC.....

What needed to be done was to give him a Mike Keenan/Hitchcock style head coach early on instead of letting him just be Ovie.

I think if that happened, he career would have gone more like Steve Yzerman than the current projectory of Alex Kovalev.

Hunter was only going to stay in DC if he got to the finals, he has a good thing going here in London and really seems to thrive in the OHL. Ovie was never a leader, he needs a strong leader on the field, not necessarily a Sakic but certainly no less than a Toews or Chara. I don't think a coach can truly control Ovy without rocking the boat too much, the only thing a coach can do is bench him which is counterproductive. A leader on the ice who can beat some sense into him is what he needs.

Ray Finkle
01-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Hunter was only going to stay in DC if he got to the finals, he has a good thing going here in London and really seems to thrive in the OHL. Ovie was never a leader, he needs a strong leader on the field, not necessarily a Sakic but certainly no less than a Toews or Chara. I don't think a coach can truly control Ovy without rocking the boat too much, the only thing a coach can do is bench him which is counterproductive. A leader on the ice who can beat some sense into him is what he needs.

now, yes, that is what is needed. They tried by brining the Arnott's and Knuble's but that didn't help

Hercules Rockefeller
01-25-2013, 02:42 PM

Yes, they did.

It's just such a poorly constructed organization right now. Leonsis has allowed McPhee the opportunity to hire 5 coaches despite only 3 playoff series wins during a tenure that included 3 Division titles and a President's Trophy. McPhee was content to hope the young players matured together, he's refused to hire a HC with NHL experience, his FA signings are bargin basement and the ones he spends money on suck, and he can't draft for **** outside the 1st round.

I would honestly love to see them gut the team at the deadline except for a few players (Ovy, Backstrom, Alzner, and Carlson), fire GMGM, and hire someone like Burke to start over. McPhee isn't going to take them anywhere.

gyldenlove
01-25-2013, 04:17 PM
now, yes, that is what is needed. They tried by brining the Arnott's and Knuble's but that didn't help

Arnott wasn't a good enough player and Knuble was just old, not a leader. They need someone who is good enough as a player and strong enough as a leader to really put him in his place.

Ray Finkle
01-25-2013, 04:46 PM
Arnott wasn't a good enough player and Knuble was just old, not a leader. They need someone who is good enough as a player and strong enough as a leader to really put him in his place.

I disagree completely on those two. Arrnott was brought there for his leadership and had nothing good to say about the locker room when he left. There were too many people that cared only about their stats. Knuble was brought into be a veteran locker room guy and help on the power play.

SoCalBronco
01-25-2013, 05:26 PM
Knuble is totally washed up.

gyldenlove
01-25-2013, 05:58 PM
I disagree completely on those two. Arrnott was brought there for his leadership and had nothing good to say about the locker room when he left. There were too many people that cared only about their stats. Knuble was brought into be a veteran locker room guy and help on the power play.

Being a leader is more than being old, it is about commanding the respect of other players, neither Knuble nor Arnott was in a position to command the respect of the locker room when they were in DC. There is a reason guys like Sakic, Chara, Toews, Lidstrom are such good leaders, they are strong personalities who have a talent level that other players look up and respect.

Ray Finkle
01-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Being a leader is more than being old, it is about commanding the respect of other players, neither Knuble nor Arnott was in a position to command the respect of the locker room when they were in DC. There is a reason guys like Sakic, Chara, Toews, Lidstrom are such good leaders, they are strong personalities who have a talent level that other players look up and respect.

I again disagree. Arnott was sought at the trading deadline to be veteran leadership. Leaders lead regardless of age or personality....while the guys you listed above are captains and leaders, it is not for their strong personality (save maybe Toews) they are leaders by example.

Your Messiers, Yzerman's, Steven's were leaders that were strong personalities as well.

gyldenlove
01-25-2013, 07:54 PM
Wings finally seemed to click in the 3rd period against the Wild, the passing was crisp and even Johan Franzen seemed to play NHL hockey. I hope it lasts, but I am not taking anything for granted.

Beantown Bronco
01-25-2013, 07:58 PM
B's just keep on rolling. 7 out of possible 8 pts so far.

All I have to say is.....Dougie freakin Hamilton. This kid is unreal.

DivineLegion
01-25-2013, 08:41 PM
Happy Birthday to me! The Canes get it together and sweep the home and home with the Slugs!!!

FU Buffalo!

Lestat
01-25-2013, 09:11 PM
the problem with Washington is they're the Don Nelson version of the Dallas Mavericks.
they love running up and down and having shoot outs.
but the team doesn't play the type of game that wins in the post season. they'll thrive in the regular season and get a top seed, but they lack that grit, that toughness, that dog mentality to get them over the hump and through the wall.

it's not a Ovy problem, it's the entire organization.
Ovy's role is to be one of the most lethal scorers in the NHL and help the team score goals.
you don't try to make him something he's not and get mad when he doesn't respond like Boudreau and Hunter did.

SoCalBronco
01-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Damn Pens wasted a 2 goal night by Sid and a 2-0 lead. Tons of turnovers. Get it together boys. Need a win on Sunday to get to 3-2.

DivineLegion
01-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Damn Pens wasted a 2 goal night by Sid and a 2-0 lead. Tons of turnovers. Get it together boys. Need a win on Sunday to get to 3-2.

Just from glancing at the stat sheets it looks like Malkins line was having some problems defensively. Is that a result of the blue line, or is that line having trouble getting back? BTW I watched the Philly game, and all I can say is, I want Sutter back. I really miss that kid.

Ray Finkle
01-26-2013, 09:28 PM

and you see why it makes no sense to brag about be 2-0?

chadta
01-27-2013, 07:19 AM
and you see why it makes no sense to brag about be 2-0?

its in the DNA of pens fans

they are the loudest people on the planet when the team is winning.

BroncosSR
01-27-2013, 07:36 AM
its in the DNA of Pittsburgh fans

Fixed.

chadta
01-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Fixed.

agreed, I thought that after I posted but couldnt be bothered to correct it

SoCalBronco
01-27-2013, 01:29 PM
I'm sure it was just a coincidence you started talking after you won 2 in a row.

chadta
01-27-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm sure it was just a coincidence you started talking after you won 2 in a row.

You sure have me pegged, do any of these look fimiliar.

Kneel.

Nice 6-3 beat down for PIT. 2 division road wins to start the year. Huge.

Flying so high.

Pens fans after 2 wins

its in the DNA of pens fans

Im the one who started talking after 2 wins ? Im not a pens fan, I know 2 wins don't mean squat.

Sorry i didnt get into the 2 page nut slobbering over how much of a good deal Zajac was, the nicest thing i could think of sayin was that it makes hartnells contract look good, next time ill post something just so you dont think im being a fair weather fan.

SoCalBronco
01-27-2013, 01:44 PM
If you were trying to show I posted only after wins you would be wrong. I have posted after each game win or loss. I did so after Toronto and Winnipeg.

Fail.

Ray Finkle
01-27-2013, 01:54 PM
If you were trying to show I posted only after wins you would be wrong. I have posted after each game win or loss. I did so after Toronto and Winnipeg.

Fail.

Sorry, Chadta pretty much owned you in the post above.....

Requiem
01-27-2013, 01:55 PM
Shut up, chadta.

Ray Finkle
01-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Shut up, chadta.

The only thing Cydnei and Geno are drinking Patron out of is each others ass caves...

Requiem
01-27-2013, 01:58 PM
The only thing Cydnei and Geno are drinking Patron out of is each others ass caves...

http://pichars.org/store/404_original_gmzHZ.

Ray Finkle
01-27-2013, 02:01 PM
http://pichars.org/store/404_original_gmzHZ.

isn't that hanging over Cydnei's locker?:~ohyah!:

SoCalBronco
01-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Sorry, Chadta pretty much owned you in the post above.....

Lulz. Thanks for disproving my actual post. Oh wait you didn't.

chadta
01-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Shut up, chadta.

says the guy with a big mouth and no balls

want to bet anything this year ? or are you still a chicken **** ?

chadta
01-27-2013, 03:12 PM

Fail.

what if i was meerly trying to show you were way to high after w nothing win, but normal after a loss. I never said you disappear, you and josh are the only 2 somewhat normal pens fans, sometimes that is.

that other clown, well he is way to high after a win, and disappears after a loss, just like almost everyother pissburg fan.

I forgot about this game 2 gem.

Hes been pretty quiet since then tho, I wonder why

Ray Finkle
01-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Lulz. Thanks for disproving my actual post. Oh wait you didn't.

Pens fans are the NHL version of Skins fans...

bronco militia
01-27-2013, 03:42 PM
WTF? pens fans=steeler fans

SoCalBronco
01-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Lucky to be up 1-0...not a well played period. They really need to get another winger.....SIds line mates are flubbing too many chances. Kunitz is not the same. Maybe bring up Bennett.

SoCalBronco
01-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Lucky to be up 1-0...not a well played period. They really need to get another winger.....SIds line mates are flubbing too many chances. Kunitz is not the same. Maybe bring up Bennett.

Requiem
01-27-2013, 04:06 PM
says the guy with a big mouth and no balls

want to bet anything this year ? or are you still a chicken **** ?

I will bet you a thousand dollars your team doesn't win the Stanley Cup.

Ray Finkle
01-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Watch a game in DC. Skins fans are worse.

Tombstone RJ
01-27-2013, 04:41 PM
lulz, 10 pages in and we already have poster rage and fan cards being thrown around. Does this season even exist? Seems to me the owners and players accomplished little and it's all heading for another stoppage. But, I'll root for my Avs nontheless...

SoCalBronco
01-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Good to get the shoot out win. Much better defensive effort in the 2nd and 3rd. Ottawa played very well too. Flower and Anderson both sharp.

Aftermath
01-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Flyers playing like absolute garbage through 2 periods against the Lightning. Cant wait to watch Tarasenko in about 10 mins.

Requiem
01-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Good to get the shoot out win. Much better defensive effort in the 2nd and 3rd. Ottawa played very well too. Flower and Anderson both sharp.

Stop posting after wins dude, it isn't cool.

SoCalBronco
01-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Stop posting after wins dude, it isn't cool.

Lol.

chadta
01-27-2013, 06:05 PM
I will bet you a thousand dollars your team doesn't win the Stanley Cup.

I don't recall ever saying they would. You on the other hand have, so how about it ?

$20 bucks says pissburg doesn't win the cup, have you grown a set ?

I know at the start of the playoffs last year you didn't have the balls to bet 20 bucks on winning one round, with the money going to charity, so im going to go out on a limb and guess that you wont be betting on the cup.

Altho to be honest, even if you did bet, I wouldn't expect you to pay any more than I would expect bob to pay on a bet, so I'm really not sure there is a point.

Aftermath
01-27-2013, 06:10 PM
I cant believe the Stars got Jamie Benn for 5 yr / 26.25 m (5.25). Guy is so underrated. Id much rather have him than Lupul or Zajac.

Ray Finkle
01-27-2013, 06:11 PM
I cant believe the Stars got Jamie Benn for 5 yr / 26.25 m (5.25). Guy is so underrated. Id much rather have him than Lupul or Zajac.

That's a great deal.....they played their hand well.

Requiem
01-27-2013, 06:14 PM
I don't recall ever saying they would. You on the other hand have, so how about it ?

You said bet anything. I offered the bet that if your team doesn't win the cup, you owe me a grand. If they do, I owe you a grand.

$20 bucks says pissburg doesn't win the cup, have you grown a set ?

I was born with a beautiful set of testicles that have been on the faces of women the world over. The love my red pubes.

I know at the start of the playoffs last year you didn't have the balls to bet 20 bucks on winning one round, with the money going to charity, so im going to go out on a limb and guess that you wont be betting on the cup.

It doesn't seem like you are interested in doing a bet for $1,000 on your team winning the cup, so I'm going to go out on a lumb and guess that you won't be betting on the cup.

Altho to be honest, even if you did bet, I wouldn't expect you to pay any more than I would expect bob to pay on a bet, so I'm really not sure there is a point.

http://static2.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/And+this+is+important...+how+_08e5db395d3de979f487 0046e09854aa.gif

Aftermath
01-27-2013, 06:17 PM
That's a great deal.....they played their hand well.

I think it was more about the term. I think he wanted 3 years.

chadta
01-27-2013, 06:28 PM
You said bet anything. I offered the bet that if your team doesn't win the cup, you owe me a grand. If they do, I owe you a grand.

I never said they would win, so why would i bet that they will ?

you have, put up or shut up.

By the fact that you are here posting im going to guess the pengals won today