PDA

View Full Version : 2012-2013 General NHL Hockey Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

DivineLegion
02-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Matt Cooke is a piece of ****. And so is any other player that is similar to him. Players like Matt Cooke should be kicked out of this league. Ridiculous. Look at the replay; anyone with a brain can see Cooke's intent to stomp Karlsson. **** that little b****. We don't need players like that b**** taking out star players with intent. I'm furious

I agree, that's pretty much the Sens season right there. There is no way they can recover from losing Spetza and Karlson. I know Anderson is playing at an all world clip, but you can't win hockey games 0-0, and without those two that's the reality Ottowa has to face.

SoCalBronco
02-13-2013, 09:26 PM
I've watched it a few times now...with Cooke he has an awful history with the exception of last year when he totally turned his game around although this year he has kinda gone back to his old ways a bit. They were jostling for the puck but there is no need to lift the skate. I don't support that at all. Very unfortunate for Karlsson.

RedskinBronco
02-13-2013, 09:32 PM
There is nothing Matt Cooke does that is not intentional.

And this is coming from a guy that was pissed off the caps let him go. Then again, on the caps he would have been kicked out of the league by now. He is protected by wearing the pens jersey.

He should have been kicked out of the league after the Savard fiasco, and for sure after the McDonough incident.

Edit: Let's put it this way; imagine the crusade against Chris Neil if it was him who "accidentally" did to Crosby what Cooke did to Karlsson. Of course, there won't be a peep about this because it's the pens, except maybe a little from the Canadian Media, although it won't be with as much force as say if the team involved was Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal.

Ray Finkle
02-14-2013, 05:59 AM
I've watched it a few times now...with Cooke he has an awful history with the exception of last year when he totally turned his game around although this year he has kinda gone back to his old ways a bit. They were jostling for the puck but there is no need to lift the skate. I don't support that at all. Very unfortunate for Karlsson.

Cooke is a douche of the highest douche canoe level....

If this was say Avery doing this to Letang or kid swan dive, you'd be rioting in the streets...

Ban the F'n Fer....

Baba Booey
02-14-2013, 06:53 AM
Cooke is dirty brown water trash. Not surprised one bit.

DivineLegion
02-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Oh dear lord! Canes playing the leads tonight with 5 defenseman, as Gleason and Pitkanen deal with lower body injuries. Two of our top 4 out, and Ellis in net. Canes need to be on top of their offensive game to make this one happen.

chadta
02-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Cooke is a douche of the highest douche canoe level....

If this was say Avery doing this to Letang or kid swan dive, you'd be rioting in the streets...

Ban the F'n Fer....

while i agree that cooke is one of the biggest POS in the league, i ahve a tough time thinking it was on purpose, I think he may have been going for a slew foot, or something along those lines.

But since the NHL rules by result and not intent, and he has a record as a repeat offender, he should be done for the year at the very least.

Lestat
02-14-2013, 02:49 PM
while i agree that cooke is one of the biggest POS in the league, i ahve a tough time thinking it was on purpose, I think he may have been going for a slew foot, or something along those lines.

But since the NHL rules by result and not intent, and he has a record as a repeat offender, he should be done for the year at the very least.

no action will be taken towards him by the NHL. but you can bet the Sens have his ass lined up when they meet again.
their best player is out for the season over some really dumb crap.
Cooke likely didn't mean to come down on the back of his heel but he definitely was trying use his skate to force him further into the board.

DivineLegion
02-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Watch out Leafs the Canes call up Michael Jordan.

RedskinBronco
02-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Watch out Leafs the Canes call up Michael Jordan.

I saw that, I was sending that joke around to everyone I knew this AM.

Reminds me of that Michael Jordan ESPN commercial. He's probably in that age range where his parents named him after MJ LOL

RedskinBronco
02-14-2013, 04:20 PM
no action will be taken towards him by the NHL. but you can bet the Sens have his ass lined up when they meet again.
Cooke likely didn't mean to come down on the back of his heel but he definitely was trying use his skate to force him further into the board.

That's how we know it was intentional. Maybe he didn't want to tear his achilles but he intended to bring pain or hurt him in some way.

No one who plays hockey comes in like that lifting their skate, unless they are trying to do something to the opponent (e.g., slewfoot).

He meant to do what he did. He would have been banned a long time ago, fortunately for him he plays for Mario's organization which gives you lifetime benefits with Bettman.

gyldenlove
02-14-2013, 05:08 PM

Cooke needs to go for the rest of the year. That is a super dangerous play and even if he didn't intend to sever Karlsons foot that kind of **** is exactly what needs to be taken out of the game. If he doesn't get suspended, if I was head coach of the sens I would call up a minor league goon for the next game against the Pens and just have him Chris Simon the **** out of Matt Cooke's ugly face.

Ray Finkle
02-14-2013, 05:56 PM
No fine or suspension for Cooke. Team dirt bag skates again

Slew Foot Malkin
Cheap Shot Cooke
Swan Dive Princess
Head Hunt Orpik

Lovely.

DivineLegion
02-14-2013, 06:06 PM
I saw that, I was sending that joke around to everyone I knew this AM.

Reminds me of that Michael Jordan ESPN commercial. He's probably in that age range where his parents named him after MJ LOL

It's too bad this game isn't in Toronto, then we could say Michal Jordan gets first NHL start in the ACC.

Air Canada Centre.

SoCalBronco
02-14-2013, 06:34 PM
No fine or suspension for Cooke. Team dirt bag skates again

Slew Foot Malkin
Cheap Shot Cooke
Swan Dive Princess
Head Hunt Orpik

Lovely.

Someone is bitter about the standings. :)

Lestat
02-14-2013, 08:21 PM
That's how we know it was intentional. Maybe he didn't want to tear his achilles but he intended to bring pain or hurt him in some way.

No one who plays hockey comes in like that lifting their skate, unless they are trying to do something to the opponent (e.g., slewfoot).

He meant to do what he did. He would have been banned a long time ago, fortunately for him he plays for Mario's organization which gives you lifetime benefits with Bettman.

i get the feeling that he might get the Joey Hishon treatment next time those teams play(if you have never seen the hit by Brayden McNabb that has cost him two seasons, google it)

RedskinBronco
02-14-2013, 09:02 PM

Come on dude, it has nothing to do with standings. I even trash the caps when I know they are a clown show.

He's 100% right about the pens and how they get away with it. Try being a little more objective ;)

Do you not ever notice how every team (except maybe philly, because they dont give a ****) lets up on a Crosby body check? The pens get away with a lot of infractions.

The pens are an NHL favored franchise; otherwise they would have been gone years ago with all the financial issues.

Doesn't mean they aren't a good team, but ray finkle is right.

RedskinBronco
02-14-2013, 09:05 PM
It's too bad this game isn't in Toronto, then we could say Michal Jordan gets first NHL start in the ACC.

Air Canada Centre.

WTF were the leafs doing on that 2nd goal lol. Talk about a freebie.

On another note, good to see the avs battle back for 2 points in minny. They needed that.

I don't know what happened to TB since that start. Caps at least look more cohesive recently, although Holtby = yikes.

RedskinBronco
02-14-2013, 09:10 PM
i get the feeling that he might get the Joey Hishon treatment next time those teams play(if you have never seen the hit by Brayden McNabb that has cost him two seasons, google it)

Holy **** I just saw that.

If I was the sens, I would have Chris Neil go after one of the big four: Malkin, Crosby, Letang or Neal.

I'm a big believer in an eye for an eye when it comes to hockey.

Want cooke out of the league? Punish the organization that employs him by taking out one of their best players like he did to the sens. I guarantee the pens would cut Cooke and no other team would ever pick him up because of his history and knowing that the preferential treatment would not continue in another jersey.

RedskinBronco
02-14-2013, 09:36 PM
One more post for my fellow hockey nuts lol. So FWIW, I hear Mcphee has been going hard on O'Reilly for 2 weeks now. HOWEVER, I do see the following tweet. I swear if Shero lands O'Reilly, I will be extremely pissed. I'm sure Dick Patrick will veto any deal Mcphee gets done with Sherman. I can't stand the mgmt group in DC.

Michael Russo
‏@Russostrib
#penguins GM Ray Shero is in Minnesota scouting tonight's #mnwild #avalanche game. Pens looking for top-6 winger

Ray Finkle
02-14-2013, 09:36 PM

Please, in a strike shortened season, it does not matter what the standings are as long as you make the playoffs.

Lestat
02-14-2013, 09:45 PM
One more post for my fellow hockey nuts lol. So FWIW, I hear Mcphee has been going hard on O'Reilly for 2 weeks now. HOWEVER, I do see the following tweet. I swear if Shero lands O'Reilly, I will be extremely pissed. I'm sure Dick Patrick will veto any deal Mcphee gets done with Sherman. I can't stand the mgmt group in DC.

Michael Russo
‏@Russostrib
#penguins GM Ray Shero is in Minnesota scouting tonight's #mnwild #avalanche game. Pens looking for top-6 winger

i will throw up if we deal him to the Pens. they don't have what we need.
we need a good young roster player, a top prospect and a pick.
the Pens picks suck, the moveable roster guys are mostly older or not a top 6 potential type. the prospects they have aren't exactly the best.
Bennett is solid but him alone won't get O'Reilly.

RedskinBronco
02-14-2013, 10:08 PM
the Pens picks suck, the moveable roster guys are mostly older or not a top 6 potential type. the prospects they have aren't exactly the best.

You think the Avs would do a Filip Forsberg and pick type deal? It would essentially end up being Varlamov, Forsberg, pick for O'reilly lol.

There was a deal of Marcus Johansson and Michal Neuvirth for Luongo and Raymond but Leonsis doesn't want that Luongo contract. I say do it and figure it out later with the amnesty thing coming into play this offseason.

Caps would look much better with O'Reilly in the top 6, Laich returning and Luongo in net.

None of it is going to happen probably, but I would pull the trigger on those deals if I was the caps. Hate to give up Forsberg but Sherman can save face on that trade, even though I didn't think it was THAT bad. Varlamov was always the best of the Holtby, Neuvirth, himself trio.

edit: I guess if the avs are looking for NHL ready talent maybe they go for Forsberg/Brooks Laich (a little steep) or Forsberg/Marcus Johansson

re: Luongo, Vancouver was also willing to eat some of the salary. Seems like a no brainer to me given the crap goaltending in DC. I would have pulled the trigger.

SoCalBronco
02-14-2013, 10:20 PM
Come on dude, it has nothing to do with standings. I even trash the caps when I know they are a clown show.

He's 100% right about the pens and how they get away with it. Try being a little more objective ;)

Do you not ever notice how every team (except maybe philly, because they dont give a ****) lets up on a Crosby body check? The pens get away with a lot of infractions.

The pens are an NHL favored franchise; otherwise they would have been gone years ago with all the financial issues.

Doesn't mean they aren't a good team, but ray finkle is right.

You don't know my history with Ray MF Finkle. We live to needle each other about various things. It's always in good fun. I'm a huge fan of Ray Finkle and I enjoy getting under his skin...and he does the same back. :)

Anyway Bennett got called up today. I'm going to be really pissed if he is paired with Geno and Neal. I'm tired of this ****. Sid needs to play with a decent player for once. I'm tired of the Kunitz/Dupuis crap. Yes they are producing but it could be so much more. Geno needs to just grind his way out of his slump. He already has Neal give Sid some help.

Put Kunitz back with Geno and Neal...that was a great line last year...give Bennett to Sid.

RedskinBronco
02-14-2013, 10:22 PM
You don't know my history with Ray MF Finkle. We live to needle each other about various things. It's always in good fun. I'm a huge fan of Ray Finkle and I enjoy getting under his skin...and he does the same back. :)

haha fair enough.

So it sucks that I never could send you that Shanahan jacket, maybe next year ;)

SoCalBronco
02-14-2013, 10:25 PM

Actually our defensive prospects are the cream of the crop. There is a ton of talent there. Despres and Morrow aren't going anywhere. They might give up one of Dumoulin or Harrington....although they need those guys as we have too many puck overs and not enough real defenseman. Pouliot isn't going anywhere....they could part with Maata tho. Burtuzzo might get moved even tho he has been a pleasant surprise but there is too much talent in the system coming up so he could be holding the bag.

I would prefer to keep all those guys...our D will be lights out pretty soon.

SoCalBronco
02-14-2013, 10:28 PM
haha fair enough.

So it sucks that I never could send you that Shanahan jacket, maybe next year ;)

We will have dinner in Canton when Shanny is inducted. :)

Lestat
02-14-2013, 10:42 PM
You think the Avs would do a Filip Forsberg and pick type deal? It would essentially end up being Varlamov, Forsberg, pick for O'reilly lol.

There was a deal of Marcus Johansson and Michal Neuvirth for Luongo and Raymond but Leonsis doesn't want that Luongo contract. I say do it and figure it out later with the amnesty thing coming into play this offseason.

Caps would look much better with O'Reilly in the top 6, Laich returning and Luongo in net.

None of it is going to happen probably, but I would pull the trigger on those deals if I was the caps. Hate to give up Forsberg but Sherman can save face on that trade, even though I didn't think it was THAT bad. Varlamov was always the best of the Holtby, Neuvirth, himself trio.

edit: I guess if the avs are looking for NHL ready talent maybe they go for Forsberg/Brooks Laich (a little steep) or Forsberg/Marcus Johansson

re: Luongo, Vancouver was also willing to eat some of the salary. Seems like a no brainer to me given the crap goaltending in DC. I would have pulled the trigger.

i'd be cool with that. another Forsberg for the Avs would be awesome.

Lestat
02-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Actually our defensive prospects are the cream of the crop. There is a ton of talent there. Despres and Morrow aren't going anywhere. They might give up one of Dumoulin or Harrington....although they need those guys as we have too many puck overs and not enough real defenseman. Pouliot isn't going anywhere....they could part with Maata tho. Burtuzzo might get moved even tho he has been a pleasant surprise but there is too much talent in the system coming up so he could be holding the bag.

I would prefer to keep all those guys...our D will be lights out pretty soon.

most of your defensive guys are offensive power play QBing types. the Avs already have that in Elliot,Barrie and Chouinard. we need a defensive ace type who is physically imposing and can help out on O.
the Pens top guys aren't that.

Ray Finkle
02-15-2013, 06:16 AM

True, it started when you mistakenly posted a picture of you, Geno, and Swan Dive at the Blue Oyster.....

or maybe it was when we found we both had no clue what Mock was saying half the time. I miss that goofy bastard.

gyldenlove
02-15-2013, 08:03 AM
I love that Minnesota sucks big hairy monkeynuts.

Baba Booey
02-15-2013, 09:20 AM

So do I. Parise can lick my bag.

Devils need a win tonight. Throw the records out when the Flyers come to town.

bronco militia
02-15-2013, 09:34 AM

no doubt...that might have been the least physical team the avs have played against this year.

and welcome back Matt Duchene!

Hercules Rockefeller
02-15-2013, 09:36 AM

Those trades are absolutely brutal for the Caps, and I'm not even big fans of either MoJo or Laich. O'Reilly isn't worth Forsberg (or Kuznetsov for that matter) straight up, let alone Forberg + when you factor in current contracts, O'Reilly's demands, and the length of time the Caps control any of the 3 players you mentioned.

And I don't believe for a second that the Caps turned down a Luongo/Raymond deal for only Mojo/Neuwirth especially with the Canucks agreeing to eat some of the contract.

RedskinBronco
02-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Those trades are absolutely brutal for the Caps, and I'm not even big fans of either MoJo or Laich. O'Reilly isn't worth Forsberg (or Kuznetsov for that matter) straight up, let alone Forberg + when you factor in current contracts, O'Reilly's demands, and the length of time the Caps control any of the 3 players you mentioned.

And I don't believe for a second that the Caps turned down a Luongo/Raymond deal for only Mojo/Neuwirth especially with the Canucks agreeing to eat some of the contract.

I do agree the o'reilly deals are overpayment I was just spitballing.

As for luongo deal; I heard it from pretty reputable source who called the hannan/flash trade before it happened and Dale hunter hiring/ Boudreau firing.

Take it fwiw, gillis was in dc. Leonsis shot down because he didn't want to take on the contract. He's pissed with ovie and backstrom and doesn't want to give out anymore long term deals. He has become a huge cheap ass.

SoCalBronco
02-15-2013, 10:52 AM
True, it started when you mistakenly posted a picture of you, Geno, and Swan Dive at the Blue Oyster.....

or maybe it was when we found we both had no clue what Mock was saying half the time. I miss that goofy bastard.

Lol.....I'm just glad you didn't repeat that story of Mario Kevin Stevens and myself doing coke at a table at the Blue Oyster......and Barrasso was the table. Good times back in 93.

I miss Mock too. Dude called the Matteau wrap around at the intermission... props.

Ray Finkle
02-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Lol.....I'm just glad you didn't repeat that story of Mario Kevin Stevens and myself doing coke at a table at the Blue Oyster......and Barrasso was the table. Good times back in 93.

I miss Mock too. Dude called the Matteau wrap around at the intermission... props.

that was a gem.....

Mock called the Ducks winning the cup....in 85....

SoCalBronco
02-16-2013, 12:35 AM
Flower stood on his head tonight. Liked what I saw,from Bennett for the most part.

Ray Finkle
02-16-2013, 07:06 AM
Flower stood on his head tonight. Liked what I saw,from Bennett for the most part.

Flower is used to standing on his head....makes he's rear easier a target for the guys in the locker room.

Baba Booey
02-16-2013, 10:29 AM
I was worried after the first last night - then I remembered that they were facing Bryzgalov.

maher_tyler
02-16-2013, 11:25 AM
most of your defensive guys are offensive power play QBing types. the Avs already have that in Elliot,Barrie and Chouinard. we need a defensive ace type who is physically imposing and can help out on O.
the Pens top guys aren't that.

I'd take James Neal for O'Reilly straight up. Avs don't need anymore prospects. As long as we don't give him away like we did Tanguay, Drury, Liles etc I'll be happy.

Baba Booey
02-16-2013, 02:33 PM
Why would Pittsburgh ever do that?

SoCalBronco
02-16-2013, 03:23 PM
I'd take James Neal for O'Reilly straight up. Avs don't need anymore prospects. As long as we don't give him away like we did Tanguay, Drury, Liles etc I'll be happy.

Lulz. Neal is part of the core...he isn't going anywhere.

Looks like Shero is actually looking at MIN rather than COL as a trade partner now.

maher_tyler
02-16-2013, 09:45 PM
Lulz. Neal is part of the core...he isn't going anywhere.

Looks like Shero is actually looking at MIN rather than COL as a trade partner now.

Just saying I don't want to get dicked over on another trade. Other than the Eric Johnson trade I can't remember many trades in the last 10 years roughly that the Avs have come out winners or even on. I don't know anyone outside of O'Reilly the Pens would want that they don't already have?

bronco militia
02-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Ooof..avs suck.

Obrien and obyrne have got to go

Lestat
02-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Just saying I don't want to get dicked over on another trade. Other than the Eric Johnson trade I can't remember many trades in the last 10 years roughly that the Avs have come out winners or even on. I don't know anyone outside of O'Reilly the Pens would want that they don't already have?

Varlamov trade, overpayment then, straight up theft now,
McGinn trade, we got McGinn plus two prospects, one of which is gonna be a beast(Sgarbossa)
Steve Downie trade, used Quincey(Quincey was part of the Smyth salary dump trade) to get him.

Lestat
02-16-2013, 11:19 PM
Ooof..avs suck.

but Sacco loves them, because they're grinders. so he continues to play them above their station.
Barrie and Elliot need to be playing and getting experience, if they screw up then so be it but we need to develop them instead of continuously shoveling crap on the ice and calling it defense.
EJ is getting ****ed over royally and then fans expect him to be some kind of freakish 50 pt scoring shut down D man. how? the man is handicapped every night.

SoCalBronco
02-16-2013, 11:28 PM
Tyler Kennedy, Bortuzzo and a 3rd for O'reilly.

Git R done, Ray. :)

maher_tyler
02-17-2013, 02:00 AM
Varlamov trade, overpayment then, straight up theft now,
McGinn trade, we got McGinn plus two prospects, one of which is gonna be a beast(Sgarbossa)
Steve Downie trade, used Quincey(Quincey was part of the Smyth salary dump trade) to get him.

Doesn't make up for the Liles trade, letter Fleisman go, letting Mueller go, same with Lappy when he was here. Now this issue with O'Reilly. How can you justify paying Jones(in with a killer 2 points and -9 in 11 games so far)$4M and not paying a much better player at least the same? Jones is ridiculously over paid! His best season ever was a insane 45 points. O'Reilly leads the team in points with 55 and is only 22 years old. Not to mention a beast on the PK. Great team guy. The guy has worked his ass off.

maher_tyler
02-17-2013, 02:11 AM
Ooof..avs suck.

The guys at Altitude are such homers they actually think O'Brien is a good dman. Not Kyle Keefe but the other guy said he thinks he's a good dman and is going to stick around for quite awhile. I almost wonder if Sacco doesn't give a ****, how could he pair those two together? It's twiddle dee(O'Brien)and twiddle dumb(O'Bryne). Guess whos #3 and #4 on the Avs in penalty minutes? One of them only 10 minutes behind the guy that seems to get in a fight every game in Mcleod. Worst D in the league over all. Not one defenseman has a goal.

Lestat
02-17-2013, 05:28 AM
Doesn't make up for the Liles trade, letter Fleisman go, letting Mueller go, same with Lappy when he was here. Now this issue with O'Reilly. How can you justify paying Jones(in with a killer 2 points and -9 in 11 games so far)$4M and not paying a much better player at least the same? Jones is ridiculously over paid! His best season ever was a insane 45 points. O'Reilly leads the team in points with 55 and is only 22 years old. Not to mention a beast on the PK. Great team guy. The guy has worked his ass off.

the 2nd that was acquired in the Liles trade went to the Caps for Varlamov.
Flash had a health condition that made playing a full season for the Avs damn near lethal, the mile high air did the similar things to him and amped up his condition as it did to Ryan Clark for the Steelers.
the last two, come on now, Lappy was past his prime and not needed for the salary he was asking, Mueller couldn't stay on the ice to save his life.
Jones was a unrestricted FA who could sign with any other team and was coming off of back to back 20+ goal seasons.

ROR has one good, not even great, one good season out of 3 and this bitch thinks he should get more than Duchene,EJ,Jones,Varly and etc?
**** him and his hippie dad and his dumb ass "he's one of the best defensive players of all time" agent

there is no way to justify paying ROR more than others on the team when he is a RFA, has no other offers and his leverage was a prorated 4 mil contract from the KHL and his dumb ass got injured while playing over there so he'd still be out due to the ankle injury.

RedskinBronco
02-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Tyler Kennedy, Bortuzzo and a 3rd for O'reilly.

Git R done, Ray. :)

Hopefully Sherman isn't as dumb as Joe Nieuwendyk

maher_tyler
02-17-2013, 03:40 PM
the 2nd that was acquired in the Liles trade went to the Caps for Varlamov.
Flash had a health condition that made playing a full season for the Avs damn near lethal, the mile high air did the similar things to him and amped up his condition as it did to Ryan Clark for the Steelers.
the last two, come on now, Lappy was past his prime and not needed for the salary he was asking, Mueller couldn't stay on the ice to save his life.
Jones was a unrestricted FA who could sign with any other team and was coming off of back to back 20+ goal seasons.

ROR has one good, not even great, one good season out of 3 and this b**** thinks he should get more than Duchene,EJ,Jones,Varly and etc?
**** him and his hippie dad and his dumb ass "he's one of the best defensive players of all time" agent

there is no way to justify paying ROR more than others on the team when he is a RFA, has no other offers and his leverage was a prorated 4 mil contract from the KHL and his dumb ass got injured while playing over there so he'd still be out due to the ankle injury.

Jones is not a $4 million per year type player. I could careless about his 2 seasons of 20+ goals. He isnt the type of guy who will be able to take over a game or make guys around him better. There is more to being a good player than scoring goals. Maybe it's coaching but he doesn't look to be more than a 3rd line guy to me on most other teams.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=77928#&navid=nhl-search

Avs gave up more than a 2nd. They gave up a 1st and 2 second rounders for Varly. Could have just paid Anderson and kept the draft picks. Considering how terrible the Avs are they could use all the draft picks they can get. IMO it was a bad trade even though I like Varly.

Lestat
02-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Jones is not a $4 million per year type player. I could careless about his 2 seasons of 20+ goals. He isnt the type of guy who will be able to take over a game or make guys around him better. There is more to being a good player than scoring goals. Maybe it's coaching but he doesn't look to be more than a 3rd line guy to me on most other teams.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=77928#&navid=nhl-search

Avs gave up more than a 2nd. They gave up a 1st and 2 second rounders for Varly. Could have just paid Anderson and kept the draft picks. Considering how terrible the Avs are they could use all the draft picks they can get. IMO it was a bad trade even though I like Varly.

Jones is a 4 mil player based upon the market he was able to garner interest from. he'd be a 3.25 mil guy in this market but he was a UFA with leverage and the Avs don't really want to spend money right now so keeping him instead of signing a guy like Semin made sense for them.
when you go to UFA you are likely to get overpaid by some team, so i have no issue with Jones getting 4 mil since he was a UFA. i don't think he's worth it but he had a stronger case than ROR.
yes it takes a lot more than goal scoring to be a good player but goal scoring ablity gets you paid in FA. kinda like sacks do in the NFL.

i'm aware of what we gave up overall for Varly, still a good trade and the trade of Liles helped us land Varly, that's a win to me.

no we couldn't have just paid Anderson, he wanted more years than he earned and he still ended up signing for less than he demanded.
he quit on the damn team because he was mad about the length of the offer. he wanted something like 5 years and the Avs offered two. he got mad, pouted and then got his ass shipped out of town and still isn't playing at the same level as before.

maher_tyler
02-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Jones is a 4 mil player based upon the market he was able to garner interest from. he'd be a 3.25 mil guy in this market but he was a UFA with leverage and the Avs don't really want to spend money right now so keeping him instead of signing a guy like Semin made sense for them.
when you go to UFA you are likely to get overpaid by some team, so i have no issue with Jones getting 4 mil since he was a UFA. i don't think he's worth it but he had a stronger case than ROR.
yes it takes a lot more than goal scoring to be a good player but goal scoring ablity gets you paid in FA. kinda like sacks do in the NFL.

i'm aware of what we gave up overall for Varly, still a good trade and the trade of Liles helped us land Varly, that's a win to me.

no we couldn't have just paid Anderson, he wanted more years than he earned and he still ended up signing for less than he demanded.
he quit on the damn team because he was mad about the length of the offer. he wanted something like 5 years and the Avs offered two. he got mad, pouted and then got his ass shipped out of town and still isn't playing at the same level as before.

Can't argue there. Although Anderson is playing lights out right now.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20122013&gameType=2&team=&position=G&country=&status=&viewName=summary#?navid=nav-sts-indiv

Lestat
02-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Can't argue there. Although Anderson is playing lights out right now.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?season=20122013&gameType=2&team=&position=G&country=&status=&viewName=summary#?navid=nav-sts-indiv

he'll slow down soon and he's missing his best defender for the rest of the season. no one on the Sens would be more pissed than me if i was Anderson right now. Matt Cooke would get got!

socalorado
02-18-2013, 07:52 AM
Ah, you guys and your goofy trades.

Meanwhile.........8-0-0
http://www.kffl.com//images/media/viktor-fasth-580x316-20130208.jpg

chadta
02-20-2013, 03:34 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416441

sabres fire ruff

gyldenlove
02-20-2013, 07:37 PM

sabres fire ruff

I can think of 10 teams who could instantly upgrade by hiring Lindy (and yes, Colorado is one of them).

Lestat
02-20-2013, 08:00 PM

sabres fire ruff

i said it when the Ducks fired Carlisle, i said it when the Caps fired Boudreau and i'm saying it again with Ruff.
why the hell is he not already the new Avs coach?

RedskinBronco
02-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Ruff is a good coach, it was just time in Buffalo. I would say they were a couple of years late on the firing.

SoCalBronco
02-20-2013, 10:01 PM
Congrats Chadta......can we ever beat you guys at CEC?

bronco militia
02-20-2013, 10:44 PM
What a sick night of hockey.....just awesome with the flyers pens and avs blews

socalorado
02-21-2013, 08:01 AM
Lindy who!?!?! More importantly,

Ducks sign G Fasth to extension
The Anaheim Ducks signed Viktor Fasth to a two-year, $5.8 million contract extension on Wednesday, rewarding the Swedish goalie for his 8-0-0 start to his first NHL season. Fasth earned a new contract after just nine unbeaten appearances with the Pacific Division-leading Ducks, who have the NHL's second-best record at 12-2-1. He'll make $2.4 million next season and $3.4 million in 2014-15.
''You always try to do your best and play your best, try to help the team as much as you can,'' Fasth said in a phone interview. ''That's what I've been trying to focus on, and that's what I have to keep doing, to do my part.''
http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/anaheim-ducks-sign-goalie-viktor-fasth-to-2-year-contract-extension-022013

socalorado
02-21-2013, 08:07 AM
Erik Sixten Viktor Fasth
http://www.durangoherald.com/storyimage/DU/20130206/SPORTS01/130209724/AR/0/AR-130209724.jpg&ExactW=620

DivineLegion
02-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Skinner out indefinitely with a concusion, Brent to IR, no word on Gleason, and now Jamie McBain is hurt. Add to that Rutuu being done until May, and the Canes are in a world of hurt right now. What ever chances we had at a southeast crown just went spiraling down the toilet. That's two top six wingers, 3 top 4 Defensemen, and our outstanding fourth line center/PP point man.

Baba Booey
02-21-2013, 09:02 PM
Wasn't pretty, but the Devils needed that win

Beantown Bronco
02-22-2013, 06:19 AM
Nathan Horton continues his ownage of the Lightning. I swear that one team has made him an extra million a year.

socalorado
02-22-2013, 06:39 AM
Wasn't pretty, but the Devils needed that win

Henrique is the man.
I would take him over 10 Ovechkins any day.

Baba Booey
02-22-2013, 07:23 AM
Henrique is the man.

Yeah, he's become a huge part of the team. His development is a huge part of why they'll be just fine without Parise.

chadta
02-23-2013, 04:21 AM
I cant believe nobody mentioned that the islanders placed Rick Dipetro on waivers.

Beantown Bronco
02-23-2013, 06:14 AM
I cant believe nobody mentioned that the islanders placed Rick Dipetro on waivers.

Probably because it's a non-event. It's not like anyone's even going to pretend to pick up that ridiculous contract.

chadta
02-23-2013, 07:51 AM
Probably because it's a non-event. It's not like anyone's even going to pretend to pick up that ridiculous contract.

ok well then onto something a little more relevant

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/WDmfJwDZP48ffyhM1WZq9A--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en-CA/blogs/north-stars/121122b_sydney_crosby.jpg

http://ca.omg.yahoo.com/blogs/north-stars/sidney-crosby-teased-attending-justin-bieber-concert-pittsburgh-170632080.html

If this doesnt prove cindy is gay I dont know what does

gyldenlove
02-23-2013, 08:27 AM

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/WDmfJwDZP48ffyhM1WZq9A--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en-CA/blogs/north-stars/121122b_sydney_crosby.jpg

http://ca.omg.yahoo.com/blogs/north-stars/sidney-crosby-teased-attending-justin-bieber-concert-pittsburgh-170632080.html

Well he is surrounded by 3 adolescent girls with a Justin Bieber fixation so he is either ghey or a secret member of the clergy.....

Lestat
02-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Henrique is the man.

foolishness. Ovie is one of the top 3 players in the game and is so explosive on O it's not even funny.
he's not the full on leader you desire from a franchise player but he is the dude that ignites the franchise, the fans and his teammates.

Crosby,Malkin and Ovie are the only players in the NHL that can be taken over the other. Stamkos,Giroux and Tavarres are making a case to get in the discussion though.

SoCalBronco
02-23-2013, 12:42 PM

Dammit I wish I was in that pic with Sid. ;D

In less amusing news looks like Geno has a concussion.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-23-2013, 12:44 PM
3 and 1 for Ovy today.

broncosteven
02-23-2013, 12:46 PM
With their 2-1 win over San Jose, the Blackhawks completed their 17th game without a regulation loss, the best start in NHL history!

Lestat
02-23-2013, 01:15 PM
if the Hawks hoist the cup again it will be huge for Chicago.
and thankfully put more pressure on the Bulls to make some moves.

SoCalBronco
02-23-2013, 01:24 PM

Thibs should be coach of the year again for the job they have done this year without Rose and a good part of the bench mob. I like how he has developed Butler.

broncosteven
02-23-2013, 01:26 PM

I can't watch Basketball, the Bulls are a non factor here in Chicago, Blackhawks are the toast of the town.

Lestat
02-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Thibs should be coach of the year again for the job they have done this year without Rose and a good part of the bench mob. I like how he has developed Butler.

only thing that pisses me off about Thibs is the Hinrich love. he's played like crap most of the year and yet the only time Teague plays is when Kirk is hurt.

bronco militia
02-23-2013, 03:20 PM
god damn it....varlamov, you ****ing suck

Lestat
02-23-2013, 04:23 PM
god damn it....varlamov, you ****ing suck

he's let some bad goals in today, but our defense has been soft as charmin dipped in water and chewed by a teething baby.

chadta
02-23-2013, 04:51 PM

yeah I saw that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qbRVGNKwQIE

looked nasty

Malkenstien has carried the team with cindy out, lets see if she can do the same.

Tombstone RJ
02-23-2013, 05:50 PM
I can't watch Basketball, the Bulls are a non factor here in Chicago, Blackhawks are the toast of the town.

Blackhawks are doing well... wish I could say the same for he Avs.

maher_tyler
02-23-2013, 07:00 PM

I get to irritated to watch the Avs anymore. Only reason I watch is to see Duchene develope. I've never seen a group of worse Defenseman than the ones the Avs trot out every night. I feel bad for Varly.

maher_tyler
02-23-2013, 07:10 PM

I get to irritated to watch the Avs anymore. Only reason I watch is to see Duchene develope. I've never seen a group of worse Defenseman than the ones the Avs trot out every night. I feel bad for Varly.

canadianbroncosfan
02-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Alright well I can't find an unbiased opinion anywhere up here, independent thoughts on the Taylor Hall suspension for his hit on Clutter****?

To be honest, I'm all for the suspension and think he was lucky to only get to games. I know Clutterbuck is a piece of ****, but I think it's irrelevant. I also wonder how everyone defending it would feel if Cal and hit Hall like that.

*Full disclosure I am a 'Hawks fan and am surrounded by hardcore Oilers fans so I'm probably a little bias the other way.

Lestat
02-23-2013, 09:46 PM

on the plus side, at least now Sacco is forced to play Barrie and Elliot and develop them. the vets they trotted out were making rookie mistakes, at least now the mistakes are made by actual rookies.

maher_tyler
02-23-2013, 10:48 PM
on the plus side, at least now Sacco is forced to play Barrie and Elliot and develop them. the vets they trotted out were making rookie mistakes, at least now the mistakes are made by actual rookies.

I actually like those two. Just about anyone is better than Hunwick, O'Bryne and O'Brien. I've literally never seen 3 worse defenseman than those clowns. Last game I watched I saw O'Bryne skate the puck into the zone only to turn it over and not get back on D on time. Luckily one of our other forwards got back. Every game all three do something that makes me want to throw my remote through my TV. Best to just not watch.

Lestat
02-24-2013, 05:41 AM
i just need Siemens to get his head out of his ass now and start playing up to his potential. dude was supposed to be equal or better than Dougie Hamilton(less offense, but more intimidating defense and physicality)

if Siemens pans out we will have one of the best young cores in the NHL on defense.
won't lie though i wish we would suck enough to get Seth Jones and end this whole fiasco on defense.
EJ - Jones
Barrie - Elliot
Hejda - Siemens
would be hella sweet to see on the ice. though with our damn luck we'll get screwed and Edmonton or NYI will pick ahead of us again and get the phenom.

chadta
02-24-2013, 06:12 AM
Alright well I can't find an unbiased opinion anywhere up here, independent thoughts on the Taylor Hall suspension for his hit on Clutter****?

To be honest, I'm all for the suspension and think he was lucky to only get to games. I know Clutterbuck is a piece of ****, but I think it's irrelevant. I also wonder how everyone defending it would feel if Cal and hit Hall like that.

*Full disclosure I am a 'Hawks fan and am surrounded by hardcore Oilers fans so I'm probably a little bias the other way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bUTMGiNqx8A

I think he went for a hipcheck on a guy who never really had the puck, 2 minutes for interference, and he should have spent the rest of the game looking over his shoulder for being cheap.

Clutterbuck pulled a Lindros, he turned across the middle of the ice with his head down, the knee wasn't targeted, nor was the head.

canadianbroncosfan
02-24-2013, 07:13 AM

I think he went for a hipcheck on a guy who never really had the puck, 2 minutes for interference, and he should have spent the rest of the game looking over his shoulder for being cheap.

Clutterbuck pulled a Lindros, he turned across the middle of the ice with his head down, the knee wasn't targeted, nor was the head.

I think the aggravating factors were that it was two minutes left in the game with your team down. Also the fact that Clutterbuck is injured for an unknown amount of time.

http://blogimages.thescore.com/nhl/files/2013/02/hall-cbuck.jpg

Regardless of intent, he did hit with his knee first ergo "kneeing". Kind of like high sticking, you may have no intent to do it but stick goes up and cuts a guy, you're sitting for four. Kneeing is just that much more of an infraction.

underrated29
02-24-2013, 08:29 AM
It was a bad hit knee to knee, the suspension is warranted.

Shane obrien is one of our best dmen, way better than Byrne, hunsuck, zannon.

Sacco is a ****ing idiot!

I know, problem is Siemens is not coming on and is having some sort of off ice issues.

At this point I just hope we do get mighty Seth! W get him and Sacco will be canned, can't think of a better start to a new year than that.

Beantown Bronco
02-24-2013, 09:03 AM

Rumor has it, a writer from NY blamed it on Lucic even though the B's haven't played them this year.

Beantown Bronco
02-24-2013, 09:04 AM
Crosby,Malkin and Ovie are the only players in the NHL that can be taken over the other. Stamkos,Giroux and Tavarres are making a case to get in the discussion though.

You might want to specify "forwards" cause I'd still take Chara over all of them.

gyldenlove
02-24-2013, 09:35 AM

That was never a hip check, he leads with his knee and he is going low so definitely not intention of throwing a hip, furthermore it is an impact that Hall controls all the way, Clutterbuck doesn't move at the last second. I think a 2 game suspension is fine, Hall is a first time offender to my knowledge, and the hit wasn't particularly malicious.

canadianbroncosfan
02-24-2013, 10:14 AM
That was never a hip check, he leads with his knee and he is going low so definitely not intention of throwing a hip, furthermore it is an impact that Hall controls all the way, Clutterbuck doesn't move at the last second. I think a 2 game suspension is fine, Hall is a first time offender to my knowledge, and the hit wasn't particularly malicious.

He is. I think a lot of people are defending it because of who got hit. Clutterbuck is a scum bag that isn't well respected around the league. Shanahan can't factor in who WAS hit in his decision, just the person DOING the hit and the action itself.

chadta
02-24-2013, 12:07 PM
He is. I think a lot of people are defending it because of who got hit. Clutterbuck is a scum bag that isn't well respected around the league. Shanahan can't factor in who WAS hit in his decision, just the person DOING the hit and the action itself.

not at all, i defended matt POS cooke on his little skate slice thing, I think intent is a huge part of the play and the punishment, kinda like manslaughter vs murder, sure the person is still dead and as such you should be punished, but there is a big difference between going for the knee and it just happened that way.

It was cheap cuz he hit the guy who wasnt looking, and if clutterbug takes another stride and gets vertical instead of at a 45 degree angle, he gets the hip and does a somersault in the air and it is highlight reel hit.

Ray Finkle
02-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Rumor has it, a writer from NY blamed it on Lucic even though the B's haven't played them this year.

That was Larry Brooks writing about Nash, not Geno.

SoCalBronco
02-24-2013, 01:46 PM

Yeah I was wondering why torts didn't want to talk about the specifics of his injury earlier. Hope Nash is ok.

Ray Finkle
02-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Yeah I was wondering why torts didn't want to talk about the specifics of his injury earlier. Hope Nash is ok.

It's his groin, not his head. They announce concussions but not other injuries.

SoCalBronco
02-24-2013, 01:51 PM
It's his groin, not his head. They announce concussions but not other injuries.

Ahh I see. Looks like Geno will be alright. DB says no more headaches. Prolly keep him out 10 days as a precaution I think. The medical staff already committed malpractice last time so be conservative here.

Looking forward to seeing Neal on Sids line tonight.

canadianbroncosfan
02-24-2013, 02:19 PM
not at all, i defended matt POS cooke on his little skate slice thing, I think intent is a huge part of the play and the punishment, kinda like manslaughter vs murder, sure the person is still dead and as such you should be punished, but there is a big difference between going for the knee and it just happened that way.

It was cheap cuz he hit the guy who wasnt looking, and if clutterbug takes another stride and gets vertical instead of at a 45 degree angle, he gets the hip and does a somersault in the air and it is highlight reel hit.

I think it was a huge part of the decision too. If that was deemed intentional, my guess is it would have been a much more severe punishment first offense or not.

gyldenlove
02-24-2013, 02:32 PM

I am still not clear on the intent or lack of intent in the Cooke slice. I think the Intent on Hall was to make a hard hit, he found an easy target going across the ice with his head turned and made a bad call on how to hit. If he lowers the shoulder and leans in he is going to nail him right in the solar plexus, knock the wind out of him and put him on his ass, but goes in knee first is just a bad idea.

I have tried in the last week or so to study how people go into the boards, and I have never seen anyone lift their leg up so high the thigh becomes horizontal, which is what Cooke did. Looking at the Cooke hit in slow, it seems clear to me that he is trying to use his knee to lift Karlsons leg off the ice so he will fall over, but it doesn't work and when he goes into the boards he ends up with his foot in a dangerous place. Other players who go in that same situation keep their feet wide and on the ice for better leverage which is much less dangerous. I don't think Cooke meant to slice Karlson but I do think he deliberately put himself in a situation that was dangerous and he did so trying to effectively trip Karlson using his leg, which is against the rules. I don't see why he wasn't suspended, even if the outcome wasn't deliberate it was definitely negligent to end up in that situation.

RedskinBronco
02-24-2013, 02:39 PM
I have tried in the last week or so to study how people go into the boards, and I have never seen anyone lift their leg up so high the thigh becomes horizontal, which is what Cooke did.

And that's the bottom line. No one who plays does what Cooke did.

He had intentions of hurting Karlsson. Did he want to slice his leg? Probably not, but that dirty POS should not get any benefit of the doubt because he has a lot of evil intentions in him. He doesn't give a **** and the only reason he hasn't been banned from the NHL is because he wears a Pens jersey.

Think about any other guy on any other team with the history of Matt Cooke. They surely would be banned from the NHL because they would be labeled the same as criminals essentially.

Cooke is a ****ing criminal. He should have been banned from the league after the Savard hit. Even when given another chance, he goes out and tries to end McDonough's career.

Beantown Bronco
02-24-2013, 06:04 PM

It was a joke based off of that.....hence the, "didn't play them this year" part. Oh well.

Ray Finkle
02-24-2013, 06:05 PM
It was a joke based off of that.....hence the, "didn't play them this year" part. Oh well.

Oh....I get jokes :)

SoCalBronco
02-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Sid is doing a great job of kicking it up a notch in Geno's absence so far. 2 goals for him in the first period. Pens up 3 at the intermission.

SoCalBronco
02-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Congrats to Beau Bennett for his first career NHL goal.

SoCalBronco
02-24-2013, 07:26 PM
Congrats to Beau Bennett for his first career NHL goal.

DivineLegion
02-24-2013, 08:45 PM
Bobby Sangunetti nets his first career goal, and the Canes snap a three game slide. Chances are the two I weeks of injury hell are coming to a close, as Pitkanen and Gleason are likely to be back for the Caps. Word is that Jeff Skinner could be back in time for the Pens as well. Looks like we're going to be able to give you guys our best shot SoCal.

DivineLegion
02-24-2013, 08:51 PM
Oh, and while I'm at it I would like to take a minute to bitch at the "experts" who thought Semin couldn't co-exist with Eric Staal. I'm talking to you NHL network analysis group and Pierre McGuire. Semin has decided to take a pape from his old mans book, and utilize his Pops skill set. A brief look at the play making ability of Alexander Semin, and his defensive fortitude would clearly indicate that whatever people assumed about Alexander Semin was far below his true potential. I know the guy is a sniper, but when your play inspires the greatest playmaker in NHL history to call you his peer, well you get the picture.

I rest my case.

Lestat
02-24-2013, 09:06 PM
Oh, and while I'm at it I would like to take a minute to b**** at the "experts" who thought Semin couldn't co-exist with Eric Staal. I'm talking to you NHL network analysis group and Pierre McGuire. Semin has decided to take a pape from his old mans book, and utilize his Pops skill set. A brief look at the play making ability of Alexander Semin, and his defensive fortitude would clearly indicate that whatever people assumed about Alexander Semin was far below his true potential. I know the guy is a sniper, but when your play inspires the greatest playmaker in NHL history to call you his peer, well you get the picture.

I rest my case.

he should have been a ****ing Av. cheap frickin' Kroenke's.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-24-2013, 10:04 PM
Any Caps fans who watched the team consistently could have told you he was their most talented player. Lazy as **** at times, but infinitely talented.

RedskinBronco
02-24-2013, 10:32 PM
Any Caps fans who watched the team consistently could have told you he was their most talented player. Lazy as **** at times, but infinitely talented.

Semin is the most talented player in the league when he wants to be. His skill set is ridiculous.

I'll never forget talking to a Russian guy who played with him back in his hometown. He said "Semin is crazy, but his skills are also crazy" He said Semin would dick around and shoot for certain objects from the OTHER SIDE OF THE RINK and hit them consistently sometimes a few times in a row. Imagine making 5 to 10 straight half court shots in basketball.

It was never Semin's fault in DC. Is he to blame for some things? Sure. However, the organization never set the standard and let the russians go wild. Still, he was always less wild than Ovechkin of course but he took a lot of crap because he wasn't as consistent as ovechkin; just wasn't in his DNA.

He has matured. He was always an elite player, but haters will hate.

He will prove a lot of people wrong now that he has a great situation in Carolina where guys seem to thrive. The "experts" like Pierre McGuire and other NHL rejects have no clue what they are talking about. They should watch the ****ing games before they make up ****.

gyldenlove
02-25-2013, 08:00 AM
Semin is the most talented player in the league when he wants to be. His skill set is ridiculous.

I'll never forget talking to a Russian guy who played with him back in his hometown. He said "Semin is crazy, but his skills are also crazy" He said Semin would dick around and shoot for certain objects from the OTHER SIDE OF THE RINK and hit them consistently sometimes a few times in a row. Imagine making 5 to 10 straight half court shots in basketball.

It was never Semin's fault in DC. Is he to blame for some things? Sure. However, the organization never set the standard and let the russians go wild. Still, he was always less wild than Ovechkin of course but he took a lot of crap because he wasn't as consistent as ovechkin; just wasn't in his DNA.

He has matured. He was always an elite player, but haters will hate.

He will prove a lot of people wrong now that he has a great situation in Carolina where guys seem to thrive. The "experts" like Pierre McGuire and other NHL rejects have no clue what they are talking about. They should watch the ****ing games before they make up ****.

Meh, Semin is no Datsyuk and will never be. Semin is spectacular on a number of occasions, Datsyuk is always spectacular.

Lestat
02-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Meh, Semin is no Datsyuk and will never be. Semin is spectacular on a number of occasions, Datsyuk is always spectacular.

Datsyuk is like Kobe, Semin is like T-Mac. Semin has the better natural talent and potential but Datsyuk outworks him to the point where the seperation of talent,skill and potential isn't as big.

RedskinBronco
02-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Semin better keep his head up; looks like T-bro may start some fireworks tomorrow

Stephen Whyno @SWhyno
Brouwer on Semin: "Some nights you didn't even know if he was gonna come to the rink."

Stephen Whyno @SWhyno
Brouwer on Semin: "It was tough to lose his scoring ability when he wanted to play. ..." #Caps

Edit: one more

Brouwer: "It's tough to play alongside guys like [Semin] because you don't know what you're gonna get out of 'em." #Caps

Lestat
02-25-2013, 11:46 AM
that's what's frustrating about guys like Semin. all the talent in the world but the game comes so easy for them that they don't always go all out.
but when they're on, they're deadly.

SoCalBronco
02-25-2013, 12:29 PM
D Mark Eaton brought back on a 1 year deal by Shero.

maher_tyler
02-25-2013, 12:29 PM
that's what's frustrating about guys like Semin. all the talent in the world but the game comes so easy for them that they don't always go all out.
but when they're on, they're deadly.

I'd take him on the Avs. FO wouldn't want us making the playoffs though. They'd rather put AHL players on the ice.

DivineLegion
02-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Semin better keep his head up; looks like T-bro may start some fireworks tomorrow

Stephen Whyno @SWhyno
Brouwer on Semin: "Some nights you didn't even know if he was gonna come to the rink."

Stephen Whyno @SWhyno
Brouwer on Semin: "It was tough to lose his scoring ability when he wanted to play. ..." #Caps

Brouwer: "It's tough to play alongside guys like [Semin] because you don't know what you're gonna get out of 'em." #Caps

Apparently the key to a productive Semen is great fishing. NC is the perfect place for fishing, and Semin. Oh, and non virulent media who write **** articles about athletes, which NC is devoid of in regards to hockey.

maher_tyler
02-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Can't believe Chicago! I didn't really like coach Q when he was here but damn I'd take him any day over Sacc'O'****.

RedskinBronco
02-26-2013, 06:46 AM
Can't believe Chicago! I didn't really like coach Q when he was here but damn I'd take him any day over Sacc'O'****.

It's a well constructed team. Funny how everyone thought they would have cap issues after loading up in their Stanley Cup year.

They have made some nice moves to get back to being a solid, deep team.

Doesn't hurt that Patrick Kane is playing like an elite player again.

Lestat
02-26-2013, 10:04 AM
eh, they didn't really lose any key pieces after their run though. Kane,Sharp,Hossa,Toews,Keith and Seabrook are still there. that's their main core.

RedskinBronco
02-26-2013, 03:33 PM
eh, they didn't really lose any key pieces after their run though. Kane,Sharp,Hossa,Toews,Keith and Seabrook are still there. that's their main core.

True, but they have great depth now. They re-stocked with Saad, Shaw, Kruger and traded for Stalberg and Frolik

Those guys have been tremendous role guys for them. They were a little thin after their Cup run and it is to be expected when you lose Ladd, Byflugein, Campbell, etc.

chadta
02-26-2013, 03:52 PM
The Flyers have aquired Simon Gagne for a conditional 4th, not sure what the condition is, hopefully its playing time related.

In the next NHL collective bargaining agreement, expect a cap to be placed on trades between the Kings and Flyers.

Lestat
02-26-2013, 04:43 PM
True, but they have great depth now. They re-stocked with Saad, Shaw, Kruger and traded for Stalberg and Frolik

Those guys have been tremendous role guys for them. They were a little thin after their Cup run and it is to be expected when you lose Ladd, Byflugein, Campbell, etc.

yes but most contenders who end up in bad shape are ones who have to deplete their core to maintain the team overall. the Hawks didn't have to do that for the most part. plus most of the guys they traded away have done far less than with the Hawks due to being a perfect fit for what the Hawks did and needed.

gyldenlove
02-26-2013, 06:19 PM

They were gutted after the run, every significant support player left town within 2 years, most of them left the very same offseason. They lost 4 of the top 10 scorers in that years playoffs, and more importantly they lost every single player between 11 and 20 in scoring in that years playoffs. They also got rid of both their goaltenders.

canadianbroncosfan
02-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Oh, and while I'm at it I would like to take a minute to b**** at the "experts" who thought Semin couldn't co-exist with Eric Staal. I'm talking to you NHL network analysis group and Pierre McGuire. Semin has decided to take a pape from his old mans book, and utilize his Pops skill set. A brief look at the play making ability of Alexander Semin, and his defensive fortitude would clearly indicate that whatever people assumed about Alexander Semin was far below his true potential. I know the guy is a sniper, but when your play inspires the greatest playmaker in NHL history to call you his peer, well you get the picture.

I rest my case.

The only thing Pierre McGuire is an expert at is annoying the **** out of everyone. I absolutely hate TSN games because of him.

canadianbroncosfan
02-26-2013, 08:44 PM

Stephen Whyno @SWhyno

Stephen Whyno @SWhyno

That was ballsy of Brouwer to come out and say it but it didn't come back to bite them, at least not tonight.

canadianbroncosfan
02-26-2013, 08:46 PM

The best part of last night's game (other than watching it with all Oilers fans) was how much the local press here was talking about how it was a foregone conclusion that **** Oilers would somehow miraculously stop this streak.

If this streak ends any time soon, it'll be Sunday against Detroit.

24champ
02-26-2013, 08:48 PM
The Flyers have aquired Simon Gagne for a conditional 4th, not sure what the condition is, hopefully its playing time related.

In the next NHL collective bargaining agreement, expect a cap to be placed on trades between the Kings and Flyers.

Conditional third, based on if the Flyers make the playoffs. If they don't make the playoffs, Kings get a 4th round pick.

RedskinBronco
02-26-2013, 08:51 PM
That was ballsy of Brouwer to come out and say it but it didn't come back to bite them, at least not tonight.

@SWhyno: Holtby on Semin: "If he decides to play, he could be the best player in the world."

Semin just is what he is. A tremendous talent but today was exactly what is maddening about him.

He wanted to score badly but he was so hesitant and he just started shooting from the perimeter and the caps were hell bent on blocking every one of those attempts.

I would say Brouwer and Erskine basically intimidated him from buzzing around the net. I was surprised that the Canes didn't really step up on Brouwer.

If there is one good thing that could come out of this season it's Adam Oates. The guy is a top notch hockey mind and when they trust him, they look pretty solid. Lately, the caps have been trusting Oates systems it seems.

They have outworked every team they have faced since that pens debacle with the exception of that lazy effort in @NYR.

They still need to reel off a 4-5 game win streak but at least they are taking it to some opponents recently.

RedskinBronco
02-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Great trade by Bergevin in Montreal

Ryder and a 3rd for Cole is tremendous. Cole is not the same player and his contract is horrible.

Bergevin knows what he is doing. He adds Prust, Armstrong, Bouillon and now Ryder; making Montreal a tougher team to play against. That organization has done a complete 180 with bergevin and therien leading the way.

canadianbroncosfan
02-26-2013, 08:56 PM

Well they did lose their starting goalie because of cap issues.

They also unloaded Byfuglien, Ladd, Campbell, and Brouwer. Sorry I'd call that a bunch of key pieces.

They've got lucky in the sense that both Crawford and Emery are playing AMAZING this year. Having draft picks like Saad and Shaw actually pan help makes the future look bright.

I just Toews or Hossa don't get lost to injuries like they have been in years past.

canadianbroncosfan
02-26-2013, 08:58 PM
@SWhyno: Holtby on Semin: "If he decides to play, he could be the best player in the world."

Semin just is what he is. A tremendous talent but today was exactly what is maddening about him.

He wanted to score badly but he was so hesitant and he just started shooting from the perimeter and the caps were hell bent on blocking every one of those attempts.

I would say Brouwer and Erskine basically intimidated him from buzzing around the net. I was surprised that the Canes didn't really step up on Brouwer.

If there is one good thing that could come out of this season it's Adam Oates. The guy is a top notch hockey mind and when they trust him, they look pretty solid. Lately, the caps have been trusting Oates systems it seems.

They have outworked every team they have faced since that pens debacle with the exception of that lazy effort in @NYR.

They still need to reel off a 4-5 game win streak but at least they are taking it to some opponents recently.

That surprised me too, as much as I respect Brouwer for saying it, I'm not one of Semin's current teammates. I would've lit Troy up if I was on Carolina.

Lestat
02-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Well they did lose their starting goalie because of cap issues.

They also unloaded Byfuglien, Ladd, Campbell, and Brouwer. Sorry I'd call that a bunch of key pieces.

They've got lucky in the sense that both Crawford and Emery are playing AMAZING this year. Having draft picks like Saad and Shaw actually pan help makes the future look bright.

I just Toews or Hossa don't get lost to injuries like they have been in years past.

good pieces, still not their core and their starting goalie was seen as replaceable and it was well known that Crawford was likely to be the next man up due to potential cost cutting.
if they would have had to deal away Keith,Seabrook or Hossa then yes it would have been a huge deal and part of their core. the other pieces were solid but not so important that it changed the future of the franchise.

SoCalBronco
02-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Vokoun sucked it up.

maher_tyler
02-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Another 30 shots in 2 periods against Varly!

ElwayMD
02-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Vokoun sucked it up.

I remember people talking about Vokoun was such a great pick up and he would take so much pressure off of Fluery. The guy is freaking swiss cheese.

DivineLegion
02-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Word is Skinner and Gleason will be back for Pittsburgh. About damn time! I'm sick of the offensive ineptitude that's trending with this team, Muller is forced to shuffle lines, and nothing is working.

The Canes are only two lines deep, and its really a failure of our recent drafts. Between Boychuck, Bowman, and Dalpe we have had only one, Skinner, offensive I vestment pan out. We've had more success raiding the waiver wire than we've had selecting kids coming into the league. Very frustrating.

I hope Cam eats his wheaties Thursday morning...

Lestat
02-27-2013, 04:43 PM
Another 30 shots in 2 periods against Varly!

we have got to improve the D. Varly would be a threat to lead the league in wins each season with a competent D in front of him.

RedskinBronco
02-27-2013, 04:50 PM
we have got to improve the D. Varly would be a threat to lead the league in wins each season with a competent D in front of him.

No kidding. Varly has top 5 goalie talent type skills.

maher_tyler
02-27-2013, 10:32 PM

I'm giving up hope that the FO will do much of anything to make the D better. I thought after last year at a minimum O'Bryne was gone. Yet he's never even a healthy scratch.

Lestat
02-27-2013, 10:53 PM
I'm giving up hope that the FO will do much of anything to make the D better. I thought after last year at a minimum O'Bryne was gone. Yet he's never even a healthy scratch.

i think once ROR is dealt that will solve some defense issues. we're likely to get a top 2 type d man from the trade.
the real issue is needing Duncan Siemens to get it in gear.
he's taking a big longer to develop than expected. at lease Hishon is badly injured from the McNabb hit. Siemens is just lackadaisical.

RedskinBronco
02-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno
That's a game-changer ... RT @DarrenDreger: Breaking: Told thhe Flames have filed an offer sheet on Ryan O'Reilly. #TSN

edit: ROR signed it. Compensation would be 1st + 3rd

2yrs, $10M

maher_tyler
02-28-2013, 07:01 PM
Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno
That's a game-changer ... RT @DarrenDreger: Breaking: Told thhe Flames have filed an offer sheet on Ryan O'Reilly. #TSN

edit: ROR signed it. Compensation would be 1st + 3rd

2yrs, $10M

Avs would be stupid not to sign it...so they likely will not sign.

SoCalBronco
02-28-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm at a conference this week so I can't see it but it looks like we had our usual 2nd period problems.

chadta
02-28-2013, 07:32 PM
just said on sportsnet that the avs have matched

maher_tyler
02-28-2013, 08:07 PM
just said on sportsnet that the avs have matched

NHL.com as well. I'm pleasantly surprised. About time the Avs prove me wrong.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=657948&navid=nhl:topheads

RedskinBronco
02-28-2013, 09:33 PM
If I was Sherman, I would not have matched. That Calgary 1st round pick is going to be very, very high IMO. They are a complete mess and I see them completely falling off.

$6.5M next year on the books for ROR in a cap that will be down to ~64M is not a good idea IMO. They should have stuck to their guns and not matched. Now they can't trade him for 365 days.

I realize fanbase pressure, but in this case I would have ran away with that precious #1 pick and a 3rd round pick from a ****ty team. That's not bad. I know it's a tough pill to swallow to seem in perpetual rebuild but this was a time where I think you make the exception for the potential high pick.

edit: I also don't think this is going to end well. There is a lot of bitterness between Sherman and the ROR camp. I just don't see this working out and that would be another reason I would have let him walk.

bronco militia
02-28-2013, 09:59 PM
If I was Sherman, I would not have matched. That Calgary 1st round pick is going to be very, very high IMO. They are a complete mess and I see them completely falling off.

$6.5M next year on the books for ROR in a cap that will be down to ~64M is not a good idea IMO. They should have stuck to their guns and not matched. Now they can't trade him for 365 days.

I realize fanbase pressure, but in this case I would have ran away with that precious #1 pick and a 3rd round pick from a ****ty team. That's not bad. I know it's a tough pill to swallow to seem in perpetual rebuild but this was a time where I think you make the exception for the potential high pick.

edit: I also don't think this is going to end well. There is a lot of bitterness between Sherman and the ROR camp. I just don't see this working out and that would be another reason I would have let him walk.

I agree about not matching but I don't know or care about the ROR camp. NHL Players only seem to care about the money these days.

Lestat
02-28-2013, 11:10 PM
IMO matching was the right thing to do. you only let ROR go if he is being traded, no reason to let him walk for some picks and have to develop another teen type guy.

don't get me wrong, i'd love for the Flames pick to have been #2-#3 but i'd rather deal him to a team for a top D prospect and a roster player.

broncosteven
02-28-2013, 11:23 PM
Blackhawks lose their goalie after the end of the 1st period and Emery comes in and completes the shut out on the road giving the Hawks a 3-0 win on the road in St. Louis.

Never seen a hockey team start this hot before!

gyldenlove
03-01-2013, 08:03 AM
Blackhawks lose their goalie after the end of the 1st period and Emery comes in and completes the shut out on the road giving the Hawks a 3-0 win on the road in St. Louis.

Never seen a hockey team start this hot before!

Doesn't matter, it stops this Sunday.

Ray Finkle
03-01-2013, 08:06 AM
I'm at a conference this week so I can't see it but it looks like we had our usual 2nd period problems.

Tranny conference?

SoCalBronco
03-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Tranny conference?

Lol....no Lundqvist isn't here.

Ray Finkle
03-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Lol....no Lundqvist isn't here.

exactly....the King doesn't do Trannies.

maher_tyler
03-01-2013, 07:41 PM

I'd rather have ROR. The guy is everything you want in a player. Not to mention he'd be going to a divisional team. **** that. We've already traded them Drury and Tanguay in the past. It was the right move IMO.

DivineLegion
03-01-2013, 09:43 PM

Outside of one great pass to Kunitz, Justin Faulk shut down Sidney Crosby. The Pens allowed four goals by letting guys get to the front of the net. Staals goal was pure grit from the first line, the first Tlusty goal was soft defense in the middle due to guys keying on Staal and Semin, the Skinner goal was an awkward breakaway for Corvo that lead to Skinner getting open in front of the net untouched (how is beyond me), and the second Tlusty goal was a sick feed from Semin. Soft defense killed the Pens, and Geno being out really restricted their firepower.

Sid had 1 shot, it came in the third period, and four blocked shots from Justin Faulk....Boooyakasha!!!!!!!!!!

broncosteven
03-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Doesn't matter, it stops this Sunday.

It has to end at some point, not sure the last time I have seen a start like this though. And this is considering the games they are shoe horning into to fit the shortend season in.

You would think that all this play would wear them down, many be the adage that you want to keep playing when your hot (like the Ravens) is true.

Beantown Bronco
03-02-2013, 03:24 PM
Can we just fast forward to the Bs/Blackhawks SCF already?

RedskinBronco
03-02-2013, 04:31 PM

A lot of #1 seeds fail when it matters, just sayin'

SoCalBronco
03-03-2013, 01:02 AM

Yeah,..we will need to deal for a good stay at home defenseman to be able to challenge the Bruins when it matters. We beat MTL 7-6 tonight and while its great that Sid is having a 3 point night almost every other game recently and is picking up the slack in Geno's absence (he is now he league leader with 34 points in 22 games) the defense is still charmin soft and the PK in particular sucks also. Vokoun is beyond awful as a backup. He has gotten shelled almost everytime he has started recently including tonight. Flower is having a great year.

Martin improved from last year but Letang got worse in his own zone as did Orpik. Despres has a lot of ability but still turns it over alot. They need an eraser on D bad. They brought Eaton back but that's not a big move. This style isn't going to work in the postseason.

RedskinBronco
03-03-2013, 11:04 AM
The blackhawks are the class of the league by far. They have much stiffer competition in the west.

The Bruins are the class of a weak, weak east.

I have never seen Montreal play as ****ty defense as they did last night. Usually they thrive on playing tight checking, smart games but they were atrocious in their own end. Probably amped up for the hype of the game caused that. They got running around too much.

Pens and Canes both have the tools to make deep playoff runs but the defense and goaltending for both has to improve a lot if they want to compete with the stingy Bruins.

canadianbroncosfan
03-03-2013, 11:44 AM

Wow did the Flames dodge a bullet on that one!

Because ROR played two games in Russia, after the lockout end, he would have needed to clear waivers. Calgary would've lost the draft picks, and Columbus (who in all likelihood would've taken ROR) would have to give the Avalanche draft picks as well.

Colorado would have loaded up!!!!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417108

canadianbroncosfan
03-03-2013, 11:47 AM
If there was ever a 'trap' game for the 'Hawks to lose, it's today.

On the road, early, divisional rival, hated rival, national broadcast.

At this point, to lose is almost irrelevant and certainly after an 18-0-3 start wouldn't be disappointing.

maher_tyler
03-03-2013, 11:53 AM
If there was ever a 'trap' game for the 'Hawks to lose, it's today.

On the road, early, divisional rival, hated rival, national broadcast.

At this point, to lose is almost irrelevant and certainly after an 18-0-3 start wouldn't be disappointing.

Detroit not a bad team either. I wouldn't really say its a trap game. Fun game to watch.

canadianbroncosfan
03-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Detroit not a bad team either. I wouldn't really say its a trap game. Fun game to watch.

Ha-ha I know, I don't believe in 'trap' games

canadianbroncosfan
03-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Well two periods in the books, and still knotted at zero

canadianbroncosfan
03-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Phew.....

SoCalBronco
03-03-2013, 02:37 PM
The blackhawks are the class of the league by far. They have much stiffer competition in the west.

The Bruins are the class of a weak, weak east.

I have never seen Montreal play as ****ty defense as they did last night. Usually they thrive on playing tight checking, smart games but they were atrocious in their own end. Probably amped up for the hype of the game caused that. They got running around too much.

Pens and Canes both have the tools to make deep playoff runs but the defense and goaltending for both has to improve a lot if they want to compete with the stingy Bruins.

Flower is having a great year so our starting goaltending is fine....it's just that we cannot rely on Vokoun when Flower needs a break. Defense is trash yes as is the PK

In good news Geno is back to full contact practice.

gyldenlove
03-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Phew.....

I can not believe that Ericsons tiny little swedish brain found a way to throw away the win after he played so well.

canadianbroncosfan
03-03-2013, 03:54 PM
I can not believe that Ericsons tiny little swedish brain found a way to throw away the win after he played so well.

That was without a doubt a gift that Kaner got with two minutes to go

maher_tyler
03-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Can't beat the worst team in the league. Sloppy terrible ****ing hockey. Can't believe I waisted 3 hours of my life watching that garbage. :oyvey:

chadta
03-03-2013, 05:50 PM
The NHL wheel of justice has spun, and Harry Z has received 4 games as a first time offender.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g4IEPmoh0ZQ

Neal gets 1 game for 2 leaping hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tEOfRxi2_Y

harry Z gets 4, I guess he should have said he was bracing for a collision.

maher_tyler
03-03-2013, 06:37 PM
The NHL wheel of justice has spun, and Harry Z has received 4 games as a first time offender.

Some guy from Columbus left his feet and hit Hejduk. Not even close to that bad but Hejduk got hurt on the play. Luckily he came back a little later in the game.

BroncosSR
03-03-2013, 08:20 PM

It's ridiculous. Neal's hit on Cooter was infinitely worse (both feet clearly left the ice, puck nowhere around, targets the head, prior history) yet he actually received no punishment. He only got a game for the Giroux hit.

The NHL is just garbage.

DivineLegion
03-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Canes finally get a healthy roster for a three game stretch where they out score their opponents 13-5, then we lose Cam Ward to a 'lower body injury', and it could be severe. Mid way through the second Cam Ward was collided with and had his leg wrapped around the post as his body was forced into the net. Early speculation is its either a groin, or an achilles as it was the lower posterior leg that was pinned.

RedskinBronco
03-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Flower is having a great year so our starting goaltending is fine....it's just that we cannot rely on Vokoun when Flower needs a break. Defense is trash yes as is the PK

In good news Geno is back to full contact practice.

I'm not 100% convinced with MAF but we will see what happens; playoffs are essentially right around the corner ;)

I get the sense that either Bylsma or Shero don't really believe in him but there is no better alternative so it is what it is.

On another note, the Habs are a move or two away from joining the Eastern Conf conversation. They need a hard nosed d-man and probably another scoring (big) forward if they can get one. With Carey Price that's a dangerous team. They stood up to the Bruins pretty well tonight.

SoCalBronco
03-03-2013, 11:02 PM
I'm not 100% convinced with MAF but we will see what happens; playoffs are essentially right around the corner ;)

I get the sense that either Bylsma or Shero don't really believe in him but there is no better alternative so it is what it is.

On another note, the Habs are a move or two away from joining the Eastern Conf conversation. They need a hard nosed d-man and probably another scoring (big) forward if they can get one. With Carey Price that's a dangerous team. They stood up to the Bruins pretty well tonight.

There is certainly a difference between playoff and regular season play but at least so far Flower is doing great.

BTW looks like the Caps are starting to get it together now so I'm sure you are happy now.

IMO..Therrien is the early Jack Adams favorite. I know Quenneville is more or less undefeated but MTL was crap before Iron Mike gave them real structure and a commitment to defense.

BroncoLifer
03-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Can't beat the worst team in the league. Sloppy terrible ****ing hockey. Can't believe I waisted 3 hours of my life watching that garbage. :oyvey:

I'm glad that I didn't realize it was an afternoon game.

chadta
03-04-2013, 04:51 AM
Some guy from Columbus left his feet and hit Hejduk. Not even close to that bad but Hejduk got hurt on the play. Luckily he came back a little later in the game.

link ?

It's ridiculous. Neal's hit on Cooter was infinitely worse (both feet clearly left the ice, puck nowhere around, targets the head, prior history) yet he actually received no punishment. He only got a game for the Giroux hit.

The NHL is just garbage.

I guess we should be happy he didnt get 20 like downie

That is my biggest problem with this, downie gets 20, harry Z gets 4, neal gets 1, for all doing the exact same thing, hit to the head, from in the air. Neither downie nor harry Z had a prior history at the time, but neal did, yet history is supposed to count for something.

I would have been fine with Z getting a game, he hit the head first, but 4 for a first time offender, in a shortened season. Come on. Shanny needs to try and be a little more consistent.

Rascal
03-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Av's suck

DivineLegion
03-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Cam Ward is out 6-8 weeks with a sprained MCL. Looks like I got my premature wish for Dan Ellis after all. Too bad that was half a season ago...

A game in hand on Pittsburgh and three points out of second in the East, and catastrophe strikes.

Kid A
03-04-2013, 10:31 AM

I'm just getting back to watching hockey regularly this season. The Calgary comeback game the other night was a lot of fun to watch, but that Sunday game was total ****. Anyone who's been following the Avs a little closer this offseason care to catch me up on where they stand roster wise?

I feel like from everything I read they supposedly have a group of good young stars (Landeskog, Duchene, Statsny, O'Reilly), but the defense and goaltending are lacking? Or is there a general depth lack in all areas? Granted, they're just 2 game out of the playoffs at this point (with 2 games in hand compared to the current 7 and 8 seeds). But then they're also only 2 games out of last place too, so it seems that after a few top teams in the west, it's one big clump of mediocrity?

BroncoLifer
03-04-2013, 11:48 AM
I'm just getting back to watching hockey regularly this season. The Calgary comeback game the other night was a lot of fun to watch, but that Sunday game was total ****. Anyone who's been following the Avs a little closer this offseason care to catch me up on where they stand roster wise?

I feel like from everything I read they supposedly have a group of good young stars (Landeskog, Duchene, Statsny, O'Reilly), but the defense and goaltending are lacking? Or is there a general depth lack in all areas? Granted, they're just 2 game out of the playoffs at this point (with 2 games in hand compared to the current 7 and 8 seeds). But then they're also only 2 games out of last place too, so it seems that after a few top teams in the west, it's one big clump of mediocrity?

The goaltending (Varlamov) has been good and at times excellent. The problem is that he has a bunch of pylons on defense in front of him. And their troubles in getting the puck out of the zone and through the neutral zone is hurting the offense at the same time.

The Avs have only one true NHL caliber defenseman (Johnson, who is currently out with a concussion), one young guy who may eventually prove to be a good PMD and two guys who are at best the #6 guy on most teams (Wilson & Hejda). The rest (Hunwick, Zanon, O'Brien, O'Byrne) are NHL trash.

BroncoLifer
03-04-2013, 11:57 AM
And I almost forgot one other thing...so far, there's no evidence that Joe Sacco can coach on the NHL level.

gyldenlove
03-04-2013, 12:05 PM
The goaltending (Varlamov) has been good and at times excellent. The problem is that he has a bunch of pylons on defense in front of him. And their troubles in getting the puck out of the zone and through the neutral zone is hurting the offense at the same time.

The Avs have only one true NHL caliber defenseman (Johnson, who is currently out with a concussion), one young guy who may eventually prove to be a good PMD and two guys who are at best the #6 guy on most teams (Wilson & Hejda). The rest (Hunwick, Zanon, O'Brien, O'Byrne) are NHL trash.

This is true, outside of Johnson and Hejda there is not a player on the D for the Avs who would be in the top 6 on most other teams. Outside of the top 6 forwards the same is true up front, too many AHL players wearing NHL sweaters.

Varlamov is good, but he is no Hasek and will never be. In today's NHL you need your goalie to be able to play his angles and he can only do that if he can trust his defense to cover the areas he will leave open. That is fine if your name is Lundquist or Brodeur and you have a defense you can work with, but when your defense consist mostly of people who shouldn't be in the league you either leave areas open or you play more conservative and can't cover as much of the net. The same was true for Jimmy Howard earlier when he had guys like Lashoff and Huskins play well over 15 minutes per game.

The Avs need to be able to attract 3rd liners and 2nd pairing d-men so they can fill out the roster with actual players, they can't be competitive the way things are now.

Jekyll15Hyde
03-04-2013, 12:31 PM
This is true, outside of Johnson and Hejda there is not a player on the D for the Avs who would be in the top 6 on most other teams. Outside of the top 6 forwards the same is true up front, too many AHL players wearing NHL sweaters.

Varlamov is good, but he is no Hasek and will never be. In today's NHL you need your goalie to be able to play his angles and he can only do that if he can trust his defense to cover the areas he will leave open. That is fine if your name is Lundquist or Brodeur and you have a defense you can work with, but when your defense consist mostly of people who shouldn't be in the league you either leave areas open or you play more conservative and can't cover as much of the net. The same was true for Jimmy Howard earlier when he had guys like Lashoff and Huskins play well over 15 minutes per game.

The Avs need to be able to attract 3rd liners and 2nd pairing d-men so they can fill out the roster with actual players, they can't be competitive the way things are now.

I agree with this but should point out that the Avs have 3 solid lines when healthy (but no superstar).
McGinn-Dutchy-PAP
Landy-ROR-Downie (dominated last year)
Jones-Stastny-Hejduk

This will be Hejduk's last year and I dont really see another player that can fill in. And you could point out that Jones and Stastny disappear more or less every game. But nontheless, that is a helluva 3rd line.

Kid A
03-04-2013, 12:48 PM

Great, thanks for the rundown. Didn't realize it was that dire on D.

broncosteven
03-04-2013, 12:56 PM
That was without a doubt a gift that Kaner got with two minutes to go

I thought the streak was over until that delay penalty.

Hawks have been out hussled the last 2 games but are still finding ways to win.

canadianbroncosfan
03-04-2013, 01:01 PM
I thought the streak was over until that delay penalty.

Hawks have been out hussled the last 2 games but are still finding ways to win.

Yeah, and I have no idea how they're doing it.

Also just so I don't get accused of being a maven, win or lose against the Avs on Wednesday I won't be on the 'Mane

gyldenlove
03-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Yeah, and I have no idea how they're doing it.

Also just so I don't get accused of being a maven, win or lose against the Avs on Wednesday I won't be on the 'Mane

In the Wings game it was goaltending, if Crawford doesn't make 4 or 5 unbelievable stops in the last half of the game they lose by 3 goals easy.

RedskinBronco
03-04-2013, 05:18 PM
There is certainly a difference between playoff and regular season play but at least so far Flower is doing great.

BTW looks like the Caps are starting to get it together now so I'm sure you are happy now.

IMO..Therrien is the early Jack Adams favorite. I know Quenneville is more or less undefeated but MTL was crap before Iron Mike gave them real structure and a commitment to defense.

re: caps; since it is a short season I would rather tank my friend. It's a poorly constructed team, but if they shock me so be it, I won't complain if they make a deep playoff run (highly unlikely IMO).

It's not so much that they let Semin walk, it's that you can't replace him with ****ing Wolski, who is terrible and now a healthy scratch (who didn't see that coming).

It's Ovie, Ribeiro, Brouwer and a bunch of 3rd and 4th line grinders. Backstrom is MIA and I don't think he has recovered from that concussion/injury from last season and the KHL this year.

Agree completely on Therien. It seems he learned a lot since his early days in montreal and then pittsburgh. He's still the same strict guy but it seems he knows how to push the buttons and give and take a little bit better than before.

maher_tyler
03-04-2013, 07:19 PM

Who knows what kind of goalie Varly will end up being, hes still really young. Having the worst D in the league in front of him, it's a miracle he has the stats he does. I'm liking this Barrie kid...I hope they don't send him back down to Lake Erie when Wilson and Johnson come back. I'd rather scratch Hunwick, O'Bryne and O'Brien. Though I'm sure O'Bryne will stay. Sacco seems to love the turd.

maher_tyler
03-04-2013, 07:22 PM
link ?

I guess we should be happy he didnt get 20 like downie

That is my biggest problem with this, downie gets 20, harry Z gets 4, neal gets 1, for all doing the exact same thing, hit to the head, from in the air. Neither downie nor harry Z had a prior history at the time, but neal did, yet history is supposed to count for something.

I would have been fine with Z getting a game, he hit the head first, but 4 for a first time offender, in a shortened season. Come on. Shanny needs to try and be a little more consistent.

Just seen it happen during the game. The guy had both feet off the ice when he hit Hejduk. Luckily he wasn't hurt badly. Shaken up and initially went to the locker room but came back.

RedskinBronco
03-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Guy Boucher has that "I'm going to get fired" look tonight.

SoCalBronco
03-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Glad to get the win and to have Geno back but im getting irritated that Stamkos is getting BS goals. No way in hell he should have matched Sid in points tonight.

Tombstone RJ
03-04-2013, 09:55 PM
And I almost forgot one other thing...so far, there's no evidence that Joe Sacco can coach on the NHL level.

yah, I don't get it. This is what, his 3rd year, or is he going on his 4th? Maybe he just hasn't had the talent to work with but it's not like the Avs are even close to being ready for the playoffs. It seems like when they should be peaking and making a push for that final playoff spot they just can't do it. And it's not like the NHL is stingy with playoff spots.

maher_tyler
03-04-2013, 10:14 PM
yah, I don't get it. This is what, his 3rd year, or is he going on his 4th? Maybe he just hasn't had the talent to work with but it's not like the Avs are even close to being ready for the playoffs. It seems like when they should be peaking and making a push for that final playoff spot they just can't do it. And it's not like the NHL is stingy with playoff spots.

This is his 4th. The first year we made the playoffs was a fluke. I would say that it's the talent level but even when we're healthy we're inconsistent. Seems like he has a hard time keeping these guys focused playing hard every night. We come back against Calagary only to be beat by the worst team in the league demoralized by injuries. Tired of seeing the 3 stooges (Hunwick, O'Bryne, O'Brien) take dumb penalties and turn the puck over multiple times a game. No reason they can't bring Elliott up and scratch one of the tards.

Aftermath
03-05-2013, 03:38 AM

It's absolutely embarrassing. Neal getting one game was complete garbage. They need to cover up the name and then make a ruling.

RedskinBronco
03-05-2013, 07:27 AM
It's absolutely embarrassing. Neal getting one game was complete garbage. They need to cover up the name and then make a ruling.

It helps when you wear a pens jersey.

See Cooke.

If Neal was still on the Dallas Stars; he gets minimum 2 games and more likely 3. The fact that he got 1 game in a pens uniform shows exactly how predatory the NHL viewed the hit.

24champ
03-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Jeff Carter is tearing it up for the Kings, got a hat trick last night and almost had four goals. The Dry Island broskis (Richards and Carter) combined for four goals last night vs the Preds.

kamakazi_kal
03-05-2013, 02:48 PM
was at the Kings game last night. box seats.

awesome. Staples is a great place to watch ..... 5 - 1 = very fun

gyldenlove
03-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Great video explaining just how big of a douchebag Julien is and why Brad Marchand should just go away for ever:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/C6IxtxfsNWg

Lestat
03-05-2013, 03:57 PM

i just don't understand why we still look so clueless in all phases of the game after so many seasons under him as coach. we're young but not that damn young. the only time we look sound is on broken plays where the guy just wings it and creates.

maher_tyler
03-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Elliott and Barrie look more competent than the rest of the "defenseman".

maher_tyler
03-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Stastny, Duchene or O'Reilly first team power play Center? Nope! John Mitchell. **** I hate Sacco. Power play looks like dog ****. Jesus wtf do they see in Sacco???

gyldenlove
03-05-2013, 07:03 PM

Elliott really screwed up a huge chance on the power play in the 2nd period. Off the faceoff the pucks squirts into the high slot, nobody in the shooting lane or, but Elliott who is on the near side takes the puck and skates instead of letting it go to the other guy who was ready to take a step and let a shot go.

24champ
03-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Stastny, Duchene or O'Reilly first team power play Center? Nope! John Mitchell. **** I hate Sacco. Power play looks like dog ****. Jesus wtf do they see in Sacco???

They see the #1 overall pick?

maher_tyler
03-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Elliott really screwed up a huge chance on the power play in the 2nd period. Off the faceoff the pucks squirts into the high slot, nobody in the shooting lane or, but Elliott who is on the near side takes the puck and skates instead of letting it go to the other guy who was ready to take a step and let a shot go.

Young guys are gonna make mistakes. It's the guys that have been around for years that make the same mistakes every night that grind my gears. If it were for good goaltending by JSG it'd be 5-0 Detroit. Power Play lookin like a cluster ****. Can't get the puck out of the zone. Turn it over. Can't make routine passes. 2 games in a row putting the other team on a 5 on 3. Mark Raycroft on the Altitude post game after losing to Columbus thought we were gonna beat these guys Ha!

gyldenlove
03-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Young guys are gonna make mistakes. It's the guys that have been around for years that make the same mistakes every night that grind my gears. If it were for good goaltending by JSG it'd be 5-0 Detroit. Power Play lookin like a cluster ****. Can't get the puck out of the zone. Turn it over. Can't make routine passes. 2 games in a row putting the other team on a 5 on 3. Mark Raycroft on the Altitude post game after losing to Columbus thought we were gonna beat these guys Ha!

Stastny played a pretty solid game, the depth is still not there and Landeskog is not looking nearly as good as he did last year.

Lestat
03-05-2013, 07:57 PM
They see the #1 overall pick?

God i wish, Seth Jones would cure a lot of issues on the Avs but even if we did have the best chance we'd get ****ed over for NYI,Edm or Wash.
especially since all 14 teams can win the lotto this year.

Lestat
03-05-2013, 07:58 PM

they also have the least amount of exposure to that dumb ass Sacco.

canadianbroncosfan
03-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Looks like the point streak will live to see another day! (yes I realize there's a period to go but I don't believe in bad ju-ju)

RedskinBronco
03-05-2013, 09:40 PM
I was at the caps/bruins game tonight.

I swear I have never seen a team bitch and whine as much as the "big, bad" Bruins. ****ing STFU and play.

Chara was in the referees ear all game long. They deserved to lose; caps totally outworked them.

DivineLegion
03-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Justin Peters makes a season highlight reel save on Vanek, Semin nets his first home goal, and the Canes make it 4 in a row. Next up is a home bout with the Habs.

SoCalBronco
03-05-2013, 10:24 PM

I swear I have never seen a team b**** and whine as much as the "big, bad" Bruins. ****ing STFU and play.

Chara was in the referees ear all game long. They deserved to lose; caps totally outworked them.

Congrats on that comeback win.

I saw the replay of the puck hitting Marc Staal in the eye in the Rags game.....that looked bad..hopefully he is alright.

24champ
03-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Kings were down 4-1 in the 2nd period and then scored 5 unanswered goals (4 in the 3rd period) to beat the Blues. Carter continues scoring goals, 2nd overall in the NHL.

24champ
03-05-2013, 11:30 PM
You got knocked the **** out mother****a!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Jk4UnhcBtQA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aftermath
03-06-2013, 02:58 AM
Voracek and Simmonds still going HAM, too bad the Flyers hang Bryz out to dry all game long. Not like he's very good anyways. Callahan sure is a Flyer killer too.

Aftermath
03-06-2013, 02:59 AM
Justin Peters makes a season highlight reel save on Vanek, Semin nets his first home goal, and the Canes make it 4 in a row. Next up is a home bout with the Habs.

Hodgsons goal might have been GOTY in that game.

Beantown Bronco
03-06-2013, 07:25 AM

I swear I have never seen a team b**** and whine as much as the "big, bad" Bruins. ****ing STFU and play.

Being at the game, you missed what was going on behind the action. Ovy in particular was caught by the cameras taking cheap shots all game long......and no calls. I'll give him the one BS call on the Kelly hit. No way should that have been a penalty. But the call on Chara for hooking Ovy late in the game was equally egregious. It was a very bad night for the refs.

Baba Booey
03-06-2013, 07:28 AM
Devils are in the midst of a pretty bad skid, but the good news is they can only get better from here and they're still in a playoff spot. Need Marty back in a bad, bad way though. Hedberg is the worst.

Beantown Bronco
03-06-2013, 07:36 AM
BTW, Redskin, how is it down there? We just got word that our DC office is shutdown today due to the storm.

It's heading this way tonight/tomorrow.

Lestat
03-06-2013, 10:59 AM

if we see a better goal than that all season then i pity whomever the poor soul who gets his ankles broken and jock strap left on the ice.
that was sick all around.

Ray Finkle
03-06-2013, 11:07 AM
BTW, Redskin, how is it down there? We just got word that our DC office is shutdown today due to the storm.

It's heading this way tonight/tomorrow.

not bad at all...Im in Alexandria and there is snow on the ground but none on the streets.

of course if you're about 30 miles west, you have 6-8 easy.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-06-2013, 11:13 AM
not bad at all...Im in Alexandria and there is snow on the ground but none on the streets.

So the schools are closed and the city has been shut down.

DivineLegion
03-06-2013, 11:44 AM

That's the way states operate south of the Mason Dixon line. If there is white stuff on the ground, take the day off. Hell, in NC if there is a 30% chance of snow they cancel school, and colleges in the state. It's really annoying.

DivineLegion
03-06-2013, 11:59 AM

It was one heck of an individual effort. First he robbed Eric Staal of the puck, then he juked a very positionally sound Justin Faulk, and finished with some nice stick work in front is a hot goaltender.

I was a little disappointed with the lack of energy from the Canes in the third. After dominating the first, and taking advantage of Buffalo's desperation in the second, it seemed like they lost the killer instinct in the third. Too many guys not hustling, and a complete disappearance of the forecheck.

It's always nice to sweep Buffalo.

Ray Finkle
03-06-2013, 12:17 PM

pretty much.....there was more snow on the road when I got home from my lacrosse game last night then when I woke up.

gyldenlove
03-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Halfway report on the Red Wings:

Injuries have really piled on, through 20 games the team dressed 5 different Goaltenders, 9 backs and 18 forwards. Only 8 players have played in all games so far this season, that number includes only 1 defenseman and 2 of the top 6 forwards.

Great players play great hockey, of the 166 points recorded by all players on the roster, 81 (49%) have been recorded by the top 4 point scorers (3 forwards and the top defenseman).

Youth movement, although Detroit is considered by many to an aging team, the oldest currently active players are Danny Cleary and Pavel Datsyuk both 34 and the average age of the team is a very respectable 28 years. More importantly, of the 8 players who have played in every game, 5 are under 30 years old. 3 players under 30 have notched double digit points, Damian Brunner who leads all first year players in goals and points, Jonathan Ericsson who has really found his rythm this year as a number 2 D-man and Valterri Filpula.

Mike Babcock has never coached better than he has this season, he is doing more with less than at any other time in his career. This is not the powerhouse Team Canada he won Olympic gold with, nor the team that could field half a dozen hall of famers he took to the Stanley Cup final 2 years in a row or even the underrated Ducks team he took to the finals. No team that has Justin Abdelkader and Danny Cleary masquerading as top 6 forwards and plays Brian Lashoff for nearly 19 minutes a game can be said to be a talent-laden squad. Still, Babcock has been overcoming the onslaught of injuries, the non-existant offseason and the lack of free agency procurements.

chadta
03-06-2013, 02:30 PM
I saw the replay of the puck hitting Marc Staal in the eye in the Rags game.....that looked bad..hopefully he is alright.

any word yet, that was terrible.

chadta
03-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Ovy in particular was caught by the cameras taking cheap shots all game long......and no calls. I'll give him the one BS call on the Kelly hit. No way should that have been a penalty. But the call on Chara for hooking Ovy late in the game was equally egregious. It was a very bad night for the refs.

Ovie is the new cindy, I swear, he is brutal, he may even be worse than cindy at this point for the embellishment crap

Jekyll15Hyde
03-06-2013, 02:40 PM

Dont care

Ray Finkle
03-06-2013, 02:52 PM
any word yet, that was terrible.

nothing until the swelling goes down but the fact he didn't need to go to the hospital is a great sign. It's said it is not a career ending injury.

maher_tyler
03-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Nice effort Avs....now fire Sacco!

Kid A
03-06-2013, 08:36 PM
That was ****ty. 3rd period lead blown to a shorthanded goal, 50 seconds away from at least the OT point...

SoCalBronco
03-06-2013, 08:43 PM
nothing until the swelling goes down but the fact he didn't need to go to the hospital is a great sign. It's said it is not a career ending injury.

He'll be fine IMO.

maher_tyler
03-06-2013, 08:54 PM
That was ****ty. 3rd period lead blown to a shorthanded goal, 50 seconds away from at least the OT point...

Avs always find ways to **** up! I have no confidence what so ever when they have a 1 goal lead that they'll pull it out. It's been an on going thing for the past 3 years. It's literally the same **** night in and night out. Yet Sacco is still the coach..I don't get it.

Lestat
03-06-2013, 11:28 PM
Sacco has to go, i can't take much more of this. we a have stud goaltender who is constantly getting pelted with shots and having to keep his team in games with no help.
we have a offense that is so retarded that it only looks good on broken plays or instances where a player just says **** it and lets go.

Aftermath
03-07-2013, 01:03 AM
It was one heck of an individual effort. First he robbed Eric Staal of the puck, then he juked a very positionally sound Justin Faulk, and finished with some nice stick work in front is a hot goaltender.

I was a little disappointed with the lack of energy from the Canes in the third. After dominating the first, and taking advantage of Buffalo's desperation in the second, it seemed like they lost the killer instinct in the third. Too many guys not hustling, and a complete disappearance of the forecheck.

It's always nice to sweep Buffalo.

Right after he scored he looked at the scoreboard to see how much time was left. He was determined to tie it. I'm a big fan of Faulk but he didn't look too good there (not like anyone would). I luckily took Hodgson in the last round of my fantasy hockey draft. I have no idea what Vancouver was thinking when they traded him.

Ray Finkle
03-07-2013, 05:37 AM
He'll be fine IMO.

still don't get the players not wearing a visor....hell, even when playing street hockey (our town had an asphalt rink behind the ice rink), I wore one.

Lestat
03-07-2013, 01:51 PM
still don't get the players not wearing a visor....hell, even when playing street hockey (our town had an asphalt rink behind the ice rink), I wore one.

i'd be tempted to wear a caged mask if i was a NHL guy. damn sure wouldn't play without a visor(though i mostly like them because they look pretty sweet)

broncocalijohn
03-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Avs always find ways to **** up! I have no confidence what so ever when they have a 1 goal lead that they'll pull it out. It's been an on going thing for the past 3 years. It's literally the same **** night in and night out. Yet Sacco is still the coach..I don't get it.

We went to the Ducks game when they played the Avs. Even with a two goal lead, I told my son," Don't worry. Ducks will still win this one." Sure enough, Avs fall apart. That team needs a stopper among other things. When the going gets tough, they fold like a 2-7 poker hand.

I cannot wait until March 20th. I have no clue if Blackhawks will still have their ungodly streak coming into this game vs the Ducks but big time matchup from top 2 teams in the West.

Smiling Assassin27
03-07-2013, 02:01 PM

Injuries have really piled on, through 20 games the team dressed 5 different Goaltenders, 9 backs and 18 forwards. Only 8 players have played in all games so far this season, that number includes only 1 defenseman and 2 of the top 6 forwards.

Great players play great hockey, of the 166 points recorded by all players on the roster, 81 (49%) have been recorded by the top 4 point scorers (3 forwards and the top defenseman).

Youth movement, although Detroit is considered by many to an aging team, the oldest currently active players are Danny Cleary and Pavel Datsyuk both 34 and the average age of the team is a very respectable 28 years. More importantly, of the 8 players who have played in every game, 5 are under 30 years old. 3 players under 30 have notched double digit points, Damian Brunner who leads all first year players in goals and points, Jonathan Ericsson who has really found his rythm this year as a number 2 D-man and Valterri Filpula.

Mike Babcock has never coached better than he has this season, he is doing more with less than at any other time in his career. This is not the powerhouse Team Canada he won Olympic gold with, nor the team that could field half a dozen hall of famers he took to the Stanley Cup final 2 years in a row or even the underrated Ducks team he took to the finals. No team that has Justin Abdelkader and Danny Cleary masquerading as top 6 forwards and plays Brian Lashoff for nearly 19 minutes a game can be said to be a talent-laden squad. Still, Babcock has been overcoming the onslaught of injuries, the non-existant offseason and the lack of free agency procurements.

Howard's had a very good year so far and I was shocked to read that Kronwall's a Norris candidate at -3. Brunner's been a great addition and plays well with Z. Still, with Bertuzzi, Sammy, Flip, Mule and Helm out for significant amounts of time, I agree that Babcock's been coaching well. Sleeper for second half: Tatar. I just don't see anyone that can put up consistent offense right now.