PDA

View Full Version : 2012-2013 General NHL Hockey Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]

Beantown Bronco
07-06-2013, 10:43 AM
and he's gonna have shoulder surgery which will keep him out til september.
but still... he's a good player when healthy. not 5.3 mil good but if you're the Jackets you don't have a choice.

but 7 years... mercy you have to be hella stupid.

September? No way. He admitted that the best case scenario is mid-November.

Horton, who still needs offseason shoulder surgery which may sideline him until at least December, provides the Blue Jackets with punch it lacked a year ago when it just missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker.

‘‘The recovery is 4 to 6 months; I'm hoping it’s 4,’’ Horton said of the rehab from surgery which he hopes to have within the next week or two. ‘‘I just want to be 100 percent and come back and never have a problem with it again.’’

‘‘Obviously, we'd like to have him right away, but it’s a long-term commitment,’’ Kekalainen said. ‘‘There’s going to be lots of hockey left after he gets his shoulder fixed. We have realistic expectations based on our doctors’ reports that he'll be back in December when there'll still be over 50 games to play.’’

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/2013/07/05/blue-jackets-lock-bruins-nathan-horton/wQ9FbRBGLg63T1ni2UhEQN/story.html

Lestat
07-06-2013, 09:41 PM
September? No way. He admitted that the best case scenario is mid-November.

Horton, who still needs offseason shoulder surgery which may sideline him until at least December, provides the Blue Jackets with punch it lacked a year ago when it just missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker.

‘‘The recovery is 4 to 6 months; I'm hoping it’s 4,’’ Horton said of the rehab from surgery which he hopes to have within the next week or two. ‘‘I just want to be 100 percent and come back and never have a problem with it again.’’

‘‘Obviously, we'd like to have him right away, but it’s a long-term commitment,’’ Kekalainen said. ‘‘There’s going to be lots of hockey left after he gets his shoulder fixed. We have realistic expectations based on our doctors’ reports that he'll be back in December when there'll still be over 50 games to play.’’

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/2013/07/05/blue-jackets-lock-bruins-nathan-horton/wQ9FbRBGLg63T1ni2UhEQN/story.html

hot damn, December? really? wow.

canadianbroncosfan
07-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Who was it that said Chicago would have to dismantle this year and would be old news after having cap issues?

This year they lost Olesz (non roster spot), Emery (back up), Bolland and Stalberg.

They are far better off than in 2010 when they lost Byfuglien, Laad, Versteeg, Fraser, Sopel, Burish, Brouwer, Eager, Niemi and Brian Campbell.

gyldenlove
07-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Who was it that said Chicago would have to dismantle this year and would be old news after having cap issues?

This year they lost Olesz (non roster spot), Emery (back up), Bolland and Stalberg.

They are far better off than in 2010 when they lost Byfuglien, Laad, Versteeg, Fraser, Sopel, Burish, Brouwer, Eager, Niemi and Brian Campbell.

They have 2 centers on the roster, and one of them is Handsuz who hasn't put up more than 30 points in a season since he played for the Kings. I can't believe they got rid of Bolland to keep Bickell, Bolland is a very good 3rd line center who is pretty much a lock to score high 30s points every year while Bickell had one good playoff run - much like Ville Leino.

Khabibulin is nowhere near the goalie that Emery is, and we have all seen what happens to Crawford when he plays a lot of games....

Don't kid yourself, Chicago is a much worse team today than they were a month ago.

canadianbroncosfan
07-07-2013, 01:09 PM
They have 2 centers on the roster, and one of them is Handsuz who hasn't put up more than 30 points in a season since he played for the Kings. I can't believe they got rid of Bolland to keep Bickell, Bolland is a very good 3rd line center who is pretty much a lock to score high 30s points every year while Bickell had one good playoff run - much like Ville Leino.

Khabibulin is nowhere near the goalie that Emery is, and we have all seen what happens to Crawford when he plays a lot of games....

Don't kid yourself, Chicago is a much worse team today than they were a month ago.

That's quite the stretch, I wouldn't say MUCH worse over losing a back up goalie and two 3rd/4th liners.

And I'm glad they kept Bickell over Bolland. Not happy to see Bolland go, but really Bickell averages more points per game the past two seasons and definitely out played him in the playoffs. Not sure how you can call that "one good playoff run" in comparison.

OrangeSe7en
07-07-2013, 06:52 PM

I have a feeling is as much about how Bickell scores. Bickell is kind of similar to that Byflugen provided to the Blackhawks. He's that strong presence in front of the net that's hard to move. This comes in handy in the playoffs.

Lestat
07-07-2013, 09:29 PM

Chicago will be fine. i've said it before. they were badly set up last go round. not so this time. they've kept their major core and bench pieces together.

Ray Finkle
07-08-2013, 05:50 AM
Mac Truck locked up by the Rangers for 6 years....no $ yet. Next up Stepan.

updated with a 4.7 yearly hit....awesome deal. McD >>> Letang.

gyldenlove
07-08-2013, 06:44 AM
That's quite the stretch, I wouldn't say MUCH worse over losing a back up goalie and two 3rd/4th liners.

And I'm glad they kept Bickell over Bolland. Not happy to see Bolland go, but really Bickell averages more points per game the past two seasons and definitely out played him in the playoffs. Not sure how you can call that "one good playoff run" in comparison.

Bolland averages more points of the 2 over the last 2 seasons: 51 points in 111 games, to 47 points in 119 games.

You don't pay a guy who is a 30-35 point scorer 4 million per year, no team would do that. They paid him because of the playoff run, the same way they paid Bolland after his good playoff performances - that turned out to be more of an anomaly than a trend and that is why he is in big T now.

Bolland also outscored Bickell in last years playoffs, and in fact in every playoffs they have both been a part of except for this year.

canadianbroncosfan
07-08-2013, 07:01 AM
Bolland averages more points of the 2 over the last 2 seasons: 51 points in 111 games, to 47 points in 119 games.

You don't pay a guy who is a 30-35 point scorer 4 million per year, no team would do that. They paid him because of the playoff run, the same way they paid Bolland after his good playoff performances - that turned out to be more of an anomaly than a trend and that is why he is in big T now.

Bolland also outscored Bickell in last years playoffs, and in fact in every playoffs they have both been a part of except for this year.

That was my bad, when I calculated it I had his time in Austria.

Baba Booey
07-08-2013, 07:24 AM
Very pleased with the Devils offseason thus far. Clowe at the money he got >>> Clarkson at his contract

Ryder fills a tremendous need for skill/goalscoring in the top six; probably would've hit 30 over a full season this year

Re-upped Elias, who's still a very, very good player

Acquired a #1 goalie to split time with Marty/take over for him next season

Got rid of Tallinder to make room for a young defenseman (would've preferred Volchenkov gone to Tallinder, but Volchenkov's contract is a joke).

Olesz could be a decent addition to the fourth line. Played pretty well under DeBoer in Florida and hopefully can mesh with two ex-DeBoer Panthers in Carter and Bernier

If I had to draw it up today I'd say:

Clowe-Loktionov-Kovalchuk
Elias-Zajac-Ryder
Tedenby-Henrique-Zubrus
Carter-Josefson-Bernier
Olesz

Greene-Larsson
Salvador-Volchenkov
Urbom/Gelinas/Merrill-Fayne
Harrold

Marty
Schneider

Baba Booey
07-08-2013, 07:24 AM
Mac Truck locked up by the Rangers for 6 years....no $ yet. Next up Stepan.

updated with a 4.7 yearly hit....awesome deal. McD >>> Letang.

I can't hate on McDonagh whatsoever. Guy is a stud. Glad he's American.

Ray Finkle
07-08-2013, 07:33 AM
I can't hate on McDonagh whatsoever. Guy is a stud. Glad he's American.

We finally can agree on something.

Clowe's going to be good for a year or two but fall off badly. I liked him (good down low or on the boards) but he's really slow and coming off all those concussions.

Baba Booey
07-08-2013, 07:45 AM
Yeah, the only thing I don't like about that contract is the length. That's apparently what got him here though. I know he said he had several one or two year offers.

Hopefully they can squeeze two or three good years out of him and Matteau can take over that role. I want Matteau to watch everything Zubrus and Clowe do like a hawk as long as they're here.

The Ryder signing bumped this offseason from "good" to "great" for me though.

Ray Finkle
07-08-2013, 07:55 AM
Yeah, the only thing I don't like about that contract is the length. That's apparently what got him here though. I know he said he had several one or two year offers.

Hopefully they can squeeze two or three good years out of him and Matteau can take over that role. I want Matteau to watch everything Zubrus and Clowe do like a hawk as long as they're here.

The Ryder signing bumped this offseason from "good" to "great" for me though.

I like the Ryder signing as well. Plus, if they season goes in the tank, he's a valuable trade asset at the deadline.

gyldenlove
07-08-2013, 09:00 AM
Very pleased with the Devils offseason thus far. Clowe at the money he got >>> Clarkson at his contract

Ryder fills a tremendous need for skill/goalscoring in the top six; probably would've hit 30 over a full season this year

Re-upped Elias, who's still a very, very good player

Acquired a #1 goalie to split time with Marty/take over for him next season

Got rid of Tallinder to make room for a young defenseman (would've preferred Volchenkov gone to Tallinder, but Volchenkov's contract is a joke).

Olesz could be a decent addition to the fourth line. Played pretty well under DeBoer in Florida and hopefully can mesh with two ex-DeBoer Panthers in Carter and Bernier

If I had to draw it up today I'd say:

Clowe-Loktionov-Kovalchuk
Elias-Zajac-Ryder
Tedenby-Henrique-Zubrus
Carter-Josefson-Bernier
Olesz

Greene-Larsson
Salvador-Volchenkov
Urbom/Gelinas/Merrill-Fayne
Harrold

Marty
Schneider

Ryder is I a guy I can't work out for the life of me. It seems every time he goes to a new place he puts up about 30 goals and 50-60 points or the equivalent of that and then he slowly dips to about 15 goals and 30 points. I really like the guy as a goal scorer with somewhat limited 2-way play.

I think he is a good fit with Elias and Zajac.

Baba Booey
07-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Ryder is I a guy I can't work out for the life of me. It seems every time he goes to a new place he puts up about 30 goals and 50-60 points or the equivalent of that and then he slowly dips to about 15 goals and 30 points. I really like the guy as a goal scorer with somewhat limited 2-way play.

I think he is a good fit with Elias and Zajac.

I see him as a better version of what Sykora was for us in 11-12: just get open, have Elias feed you the puck and fire away.

Devils probably won't have a defined top line, but they'll be able to roll through four consistently.

Beantown Bronco
07-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Ryder is a poor man's Nathan Horton. Coast for much of the regular season and then show up in the playoffs.

canadianbroncosfan
07-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Pretty sweet highlight video detailing the season in a few minutes

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=3&id=262385&lang=en

Ray Finkle
07-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Kovy just screws the Devils in the rear.....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427507

24champ
07-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Kovy just screws the Devils in the rear.....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427507

No way! Holy ****! They are ****ed.

Ray Finkle
07-11-2013, 12:53 PM
No way! Holy ****! They are ****ed.

didn't even give them the chance to buy him out and avoid the long term cap hit.

My devil friends are losing their **** right now.....

SoCalBronco
07-11-2013, 12:58 PM
And NJ deferred the loss of the first rounder to next year.....lol....they could end up losing a top 5 pick

Ray Finkle
07-11-2013, 12:59 PM
And NJ deferred the loss of the first rounder to next year.....lol....they could end up losing a top 5 pick

how bad would Devils fans riot if they had the #1 and lost it.

24champ
07-11-2013, 01:03 PM
didn't even give them the chance to buy him out and avoid the long term cap hit.

All sides are going to lose in this one. Kovy is an idiot.

I read somewhere that the Devils will have to pay a 250k fine every year until 2025. As for Kovy, the IHF will really hammer the KHL if he plays there and he certainly won't be eligible to play in the Olympics.

Ray Finkle
07-11-2013, 01:04 PM

I read somewhere that the Devils will have to pay a 250k fine every year until 2025. As for Kovy, the IHF will really hammer the KHL if he plays there and he certainly won't be eligible to play in the Olympics.

IHF and the KHL won't do dick....He quit to go play home in Russia (at least that is the rumor).

24champ
07-11-2013, 01:21 PM
IHF and the KHL won't do dick....He quit to go play home in Russia (at least that is the rumor).

IHF will enforce the transfer agreement, if the Devils do not grant Kovy permission to play in the KHL. Devils still retain his rights. If he ignores the Devils and plays in the KHL, then he won't play in the Olympics and the KHL vs NHL cold war is reignited.

Like I said, Kovy is an idiot.

Ray Finkle
07-11-2013, 01:30 PM
IHF will enforce the transfer agreement, if the Devils do not grant Kovy permission to play in the KHL. Devils still retain his rights. If he ignores the Devils and plays in the KHL, then he won't play in the Olympics and the KHL vs NHL cold war is reignited.

I find it humorous that some Devil's fans think that Bettman will remove the 1st ban because Lou is a class act.

gyldenlove
07-11-2013, 01:41 PM

So? he will play in Russia and there is dick the IIHF can do about it. They can prevent him from playing in the world cup but that is about it. The olympics is not an IIHF tournament and he will be eligible to play in that anyway since the IOC and Russian hockey federation are very unlikely to ban him, especially for a tournament in Russia.

gyldenlove
07-11-2013, 01:43 PM

That is what they get for doing such a long deal - with the new CBA all those long deals are at serious risk of screwing the teams.

chadta
07-11-2013, 05:45 PM

It's called cap recapture and because of the way the contract was written the devils paid 6 mil per season but due to length of contract his cap hit was 5.75 so the saved 250,000 which they are now penalized over the length of the deal. Not sure they actually have to pay it. I think they just lose the cap space.

It is being applied to contracts that were written before the current cba which I think is crazy. It also applies to players that get traded not just those that retire.

Can't wait for his buddy malkin to join him in the khl.

gyldenlove
07-11-2013, 05:52 PM
It's called cap recapture and because of the way the contract was written the devils paid 6 mil per season but due to length of contract his cap hit was 5.75 so the saved 250,000 which they are now penalized over the length of the deal. Not sure they actually have to pay it. I think they just lose the cap space.

It is being applied to contracts that were written before the current cba which I think is crazy. It also applies to players that get traded not just those that retire.

Can't wait for his buddy malkin to join him in the khl.

They had to do something to penalize those old cap circumventing contracts, they were giving an unlevel playing field to teams who had made them.

gyldenlove
07-11-2013, 05:55 PM
The funny thing is, I bet this wouldn't have happened had the NHL not locked out. If they didn't lock out the players Kovalchuk doesn't go play in the KHL and he won't begin thinking about retiring from the NHL to go play in Russia.

chadta
07-11-2013, 06:09 PM
They had to do something to penalize those old cap circumventing contracts, they were giving an unlevel playing field to teams who had made them.

They were legal under the rules at the times they were signed, or maybe this one wasnt the devils were already penalized for cap circumvention tho, they lost a 1st round pick because of it, and they differed that until this year, how funny is it going to be when they pick first overall but dont get the pick LOL

gyldenlove
07-11-2013, 06:37 PM
They were legal under the rules at the times they were signed, or maybe this one wasnt the devils were already penalized for cap circumvention tho, they lost a 1st round pick because of it, and they differed that until this year, how funny is it going to be when they pick first overall but dont get the pick LOL

A great year to be 2nd best. It make a really fun draft lottery.

24champ
07-11-2013, 11:30 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1012813_10151713371183850_1342377475_n.jpg

chadta
07-12-2013, 03:22 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1012813_10151713371183850_1342377475_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/970603_562531323810406_886731800_n.jpg

Baba Booey
07-12-2013, 05:29 AM
Well this sucks.

Beantown Bronco
07-12-2013, 05:32 AM

As he signs a contract with his KHL team that pays him $10+ mil a year.......some idiot.

Bronco X
07-12-2013, 05:46 AM

Yes they just lost the cap space, it's not an amount they have to pay. It's really only an issue if they wanted to spend right up to the cap. They can spend up to 250k less than the cap til 2025 or whatever. It's unlikely to ever be that crippling.

The franchise isn't doing well financially, and I'm sure on some level it's a relief to be out from under that contract. But what really sucks for them is not having their first round pick next season. For a team that has been thrust into a rebuilding phase with this decision, that's a tough one.

I wonder if they regret trading their pick for Schneider now. They'll still have a decent defense and system so he won't be hung out to dry, they're going to have to have a GAA not much higher than 1 to have a chance to win most games.

gyldenlove
07-12-2013, 06:05 AM
Yes they just lost the cap space, it's not an amount they have to pay. It's really only an issue if they wanted to spend right up to the cap. They can spend up to 250k less than the cap til 2025 or whatever. It's unlikely to ever be that crippling.

The franchise isn't doing well financially, and I'm sure on some level it's a relief to be out from under that contract. But what really sucks for them is not having their first round pick next season. For a team that has been thrust into a rebuilding phase with this decision, that's a tough one.

I wonder if they regret trading their pick for Schneider now. They'll still have a decent defense and system so he won't be hung out to dry, they're going to have to have a GAA not much higher than 1 to have a chance to win most games.

I don't think this is much of a problem for them outside of this year. Next year free agency look to be a wide open affair with a LOT of players hitting the market so they will be able retool pretty fast and with Schneider in net they can allow Brodeur to retire and use his cap space up front.

Baba Booey
07-12-2013, 12:37 PM
As he signs a contract with his KHL team that pays him $10+ mil a year.......some idiot.

He was about to make $56 million over the next five years with the Devils

Baba Booey
07-12-2013, 12:39 PM
I don't think this is much of a problem for them outside of this year. Next year free agency look to be a wide open affair with a LOT of players hitting the market so they will be able retool pretty fast and with Schneider in net they can allow Brodeur to retire and use his cap space up front.

Yeah, I'm not worried long-term. This season will probably suck (and I hope Lou can get that pick back), but they'll have an opportunity to reload. Schneider in net and some very solid defensive prospects coming up will help. Definitely need skill on offense though.

Beantown Bronco
07-12-2013, 12:54 PM
He was about to make $56 million over the next five years with the Devils

Taxed at almost 50%.

He's reportedly going to make over twice as much per year in Russia, at a 13% tax rate.....AND he'll be with his family living where he's happier. It's not even close.

24champ
07-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Taxed at almost 50%.

Yeah so? He choose to live there in NJ and signed a long term contract there. It's not like he didn't know about the tax issues. Hell, the only teams he was really even considering then were teams in highly taxed states. NY, CA, and NJ.

Now he "retires" and goes to the KHL, and he won't be allowed back in the NHL unless all 30 teams sign off on it, which is unlikely at this point.

24champ
07-12-2013, 03:55 PM

All that cash for going to a lesser league and in the process he is screwing his teammates over, the fans, the organization etc. Not to mention he screwed over future Russians drafts, now everyone is going to avoid the Russians like the black plague.

So yeah, he's an idiot.

SoCalBronco
07-12-2013, 04:46 PM
I don't think everyone is going to avoid Russians just cause of one guy 24

24champ
07-12-2013, 05:02 PM

Quite a few talented Russians fall in the draft the last several years and that's because of the uncertainty of the player signing in North America. Now with this whole Kovy thing, teams are going to be even more skeptical to draft a Russian.

This isn't a Bobby Hull moment, but there will be some affects as a result of this move.

Baba Booey
07-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Taxed at almost 50%.

He's reportedly going to make over twice as much per year in Russia, at a 13% tax rate.....AND he'll be with his family living where he's happier. It's not even close.

Oh I get why he did it. It's just enraging that the team made such a huge commitment to him and he walks away 1/5th of the way through it.

Ray Finkle
07-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I'm not worried long-term. This season will probably suck (and I hope Lou can get that pick back), but they'll have an opportunity to reload. Schneider in net and some very solid defensive prospects coming up will help. Definitely need skill on offense though.

There is no reason they should get the pick back. They broke the rules and tht was the penalty.

Lestat
07-12-2013, 07:51 PM

there was already a russian factor with scouts dropping players on their board due to KHL worries. this will only make it worse.

chadta
07-13-2013, 08:55 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/highway_to_hell_pPt0IWAMz0tZtGm3w7TEdK

no wonder the devils let him go no problems, they cant afford to pay him, LOL

Baba Booey
07-13-2013, 12:00 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/highway_to_hell_pPt0IWAMz0tZtGm3w7TEdK

no wonder the devils let him go no problems, they cant afford to pay him, LOL

That article is a month old, not to mention it's from the Post, who can hardly cover their hometown Rangers, nevermind the Devils.

Bettman and Daly have both stated that the team's finances are stable, and Tom Gulitti, who writes for the Bergen Record and covers the Devils closer than anyone, has it on good authority that any stories re: missed payments, etc. are bogus.

Look at all the contracts they added this offseason. Schneider, Clowe, Ryder, Elias, Zubrus, now probably Brunner. Broke my ass.

SoCalBronco
07-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Even Brodeur is admitting they are done....lmao.

The fans are going to go nuts if they lose McDavid too.

24champ
07-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Quebec Devils.

Lestat
07-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Quebec Devils.

you mean Seattle or Hamilton.

24champ
07-13-2013, 04:24 PM
you mean Seattle or Hamilton.

Quebec is already building a 400 million dollar arena, already ahead of Seattle...Hamilton is a more complex issue with the TML not far away.

Baba Booey
07-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Even Brodeur is admitting they are done....lmao.

The fans are going to go nuts if they lose McDavid too.

McDavid isn't eligible until 2015.

And the Devils aren't moving. They have a brand new arena that they own.

bronco militia
07-13-2013, 10:28 PM
San José Sharks snap at ESPN’s #Sharknado troll-bait

ESPN ✔ @espn

Hey @SanJoseSharks, thoughts on changing your name to the San Jose #Sharknados?

.................................................. ...............................
San Jose Sharks ✔ @SanJoseSharks

Hey @espn, thoughts on showing more hockey highlights?

http://twitchy.com/2013/07/12/san-jose-sharks-snap-at-espns-sharknado-troll-bait/

fyi, sharknado trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iwsqFR5bh6Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lestat
07-13-2013, 11:11 PM
Quebec is already building a 400 million dollar arena, already ahead of Seattle...Hamilton is a more complex issue with the TML not far away.

if they were gonna move a team to Quebec they would have likely done so already. even the Coyotes were more likely to move to Seattle than Quebec.
i don't think Quebec gets a team without expansion.

chadta
07-14-2013, 07:50 AM

if they were gonna move a team to Quebec they would have likely done so already. even the Coyotes were more likely to move to Seattle than Quebec.
i don't think Quebec gets a team without expansion.

TML matters not, buffalo is the real holdup, half the fans at the games come from this side of the border, a team in hamilton would almost certainly put buffalo in a bad spot.

Yotes had to stay in the west to work for the division realignment, it would have been a rush move over the summer, no time to redo the divisions, and schedule, but a jersey move to quebec city makes sense, or maybe they move to hamilton like they should have in the early 80s if not for Jack Mcdonald losing the mayors seat.

gyldenlove
07-14-2013, 08:13 AM
TML matters not, buffalo is the real holdup, half the fans at the games come from this side of the border, a team in hamilton would almost certainly put buffalo in a bad spot.

Yotes had to stay in the west to work for the division realignment, it would have been a rush move over the summer, no time to redo the divisions, and schedule, but a jersey move to quebec city makes sense, or maybe they move to hamilton like they should have in the early 80s if not for Jack Mcdonald losing the mayors seat.

The Maple Leafs could sell out every game even if you put a team in Hamilton and another in Mississauga, but the Sabres would be screwed and a half.

Lestat
07-14-2013, 12:12 PM
The Maple Leafs could sell out every game even if you put a team in Hamilton and another in Mississauga, but the Sabres would be screwed and a half.

it would hurt the Sabres but not a ton. unless they keep sucking badly. then the fans who come from Canada would likely switch support to a hamilton or quebec team.
the Maple Leafs could suck for 50 years and still would have great attendance. fans love that damn team. it's just not normal. it's like Bengals and Browns fans on steroids.

gyldenlove
07-14-2013, 01:31 PM
it would hurt the Sabres but not a ton. unless they keep sucking badly. then the fans who come from Canada would likely switch support to a hamilton or quebec team.
the Maple Leafs could suck for 50 years and still would have great attendance. fans love that damn team. it's just not normal. it's like Bengals and Browns fans on steroids.

The Maple Leafs have sucked for 50 years.....

A lot of people in the Burlington-Oakville-Hamilton area would switch to a Hamilton based team I believe. I know quite a few people in SW Ontario who go to Buffalo for hockey and football because it is cheaper and nicer than Detroit and much cheaper than Toronto - I think those casual fans would make the switch quickly and if Buffalo can't attract fans from the US side of the border to replace that business it could be trouble as long as they look the way they do.

Lestat
07-14-2013, 04:42 PM
The Maple Leafs have sucked for 50 years.....

A lot of people in the Burlington-Oakville-Hamilton area would switch to a Hamilton based team I believe. I know quite a few people in SW Ontario who go to Buffalo for hockey and football because it is cheaper and nicer than Detroit and much cheaper than Toronto - I think those casual fans would make the switch quickly and if Buffalo can't attract fans from the US side of the border to replace that business it could be trouble as long as they look the way they do.

i meant not making the playoffs for 50 years. not sporadicly making the playoffs and have a solid team.
they haven't won the cup in 45 years but they haven't sucked for 50.

chadta
07-15-2013, 03:58 AM
i meant not making the playoffs for 50 years. not sporadicly making the playoffs and have a solid team.
they haven't won the cup in 45 years but they haven't sucked for 50.

With the exception of a run to the final 4 in the early 90's they sure have sucked the entire time, you obviously don't remember the ballard years, where he made no bones about not caring what kind of team he put on the ice because the seats would still be full anyhow.

24champ
07-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Philadelphia Flyers hired Ron Hextall away from the Kings as assistant GM. Probably going to take Homers spot in a year. Makes too much sense not to see that happening.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=678000

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Jonathan Toews girlfriend? Goodness....

http://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/gabrielle-velasquez-81.jpg

SoCalBronco
07-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Not impressed. NHL stars can do better.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-17-2013, 04:18 PM

Not impressed? This chick is hot.

http://www.athleteswives.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Gabrielle-Velasquez-e1312833710245.jpg

Lestat
07-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Jonathan Toews girlfriend? Goodness....

http://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/gabrielle-velasquez-81.jpg

she's got that girl next door look that makes you wanna do dirty things to her.

24champ
07-17-2013, 04:31 PM

I am not impressed either. Malkin has 13 girlfriends like that.

SoCalBronco
07-17-2013, 04:32 PM
:flower:Not impressed? This chick is hot.

http://www.athleteswives.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Gabrielle-Velasquez-e1312833710245.jpg

She is hot but a NHL superstar could do better. She isn't model quality.....at least IMO.

Drunken.Broncoholic
07-17-2013, 04:44 PM
:flower:

She is hot but a NHL superstar could do better. She isn't model quality.....at least IMO.

She ranks up there with the best of the NHLers WAGs

http://m.complex.com/sports/2012/04/puck-bunnies-the-10-hottest-wags-of-the-2012-stanley-cup-playoffs/?r=mobre

Even the bleacher report got it right

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1196963-25-stanley-cup-worthy-hockey-hotties

24champ
07-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Jarrett Stoll...doing it right.

http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/3-erin-andrews-at-game-6-western-conference-quarterfinals-celebs-at-stanley-cup-playoffs.jpg

http://www.usmagazine.com/uploads/assets/articles/61321-erin-andrews-dating-la-kings-hockey-player-jarret-stoll-things-are-good-he-says/1363885323_erin-andrews-jarret-stoll-lg.jpg

Ray Finkle
07-17-2013, 06:16 PM
:flower:

I think you've gone too long without a women. That chic is awesome.

Lestat
07-17-2013, 06:24 PM
She ranks up there with the best of the NHLers WAGs

http://m.complex.com/sports/2012/04/puck-bunnies-the-10-hottest-wags-of-the-2012-stanley-cup-playoffs/?r=mobre

Even the bleacher report got it right

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1196963-25-stanley-cup-worthy-hockey-hotties

Stoll,Toews,Richards and Souray are pimps. especially Souray.

gyldenlove
07-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Stoll,Toews,Richards and Souray are pimps. especially Souray.

Who do you think he moved to SoCal?

24champ
07-17-2013, 06:46 PM
I think you've gone too long without a women. That chic is awesome.

Here is SoCal's type.

http://www.detroitredwingsnews.com/jimibegin/files/-1/204/Cindy+Crosby.jpg

Ray Finkle
07-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Here is SoCal's type.

http://www.detroitredwingsnews.com/jimibegin/files/-1/204/Cindy+Crosby.jpg

Nah...she's blonde :)

24champ
07-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Nah...she's blonde :)

She looks like Cameron Diaz, Socal's original avatar. Hilarious!

SoCalBronco
07-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Lol

bronco militia
07-17-2013, 07:55 PM
hey look, another butterface thread.

RaiderH8r
07-18-2013, 12:32 PM
My 5 yr old son is devolving into a Kings fan. When I asked him why he liked the Kings he said, "The King is the boss and I like being the boss."

Pretty air tight logic right there.

Lestat
07-18-2013, 01:13 PM
in other kings news... they signed Dustin Brown to a 8 year deal.
5.75 AAV. considering Clarkson bot 5.25 AAV that's insane value for the Kings.

Lestat
07-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Avs sign Duchene to 5 year extension (http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/22810652/matt-duchene-signs-fiveyear-contract-extension-with-avalanche)

5 years, 30 mil, 6 AAV. he'll be a UFA at 28 but i doubt he ever hits FA.

gyldenlove
07-18-2013, 01:59 PM
My 5 yr old son is devolving into a Kings fan. When I asked him why he liked the Kings he said, "The King is the boss and I like being the boss."

Pretty air tight logic right there.

By rights shouldn't he be a Caps fan then as Washington kicked the kings ass quite comprehensively?

gyldenlove
07-18-2013, 02:01 PM
in other kings news... they signed Dustin Brown to a 8 year deal.
5.75 AAV. considering Clarkson bot 5.25 AAV that's insane value for the Kings.

That is a good deal right now, not sure it will quite as interesting when he reaches his mid 30s, but for now a good deal.

chadta
07-18-2013, 02:21 PM
remind me why we had a lockout again ?

im sorry but clarkson and brown are good players, but i see them in the 3.5 to 4 range, for them to be over 5 is just insane, hartnell is just as bad, hes a decent guy at 4 but 4.75 is a bit high for me, and dont even get me started on 1 great year and some average numbers giroux getting 8+

Beantown Bronco
07-18-2013, 02:29 PM
That is a good deal right now, not sure it will quite as interesting when he reaches his mid 30s, but for now a good deal.

By then, the cap will be double what it is right now and it will look even better (at least that's what I keep telling myself with all the 8 year deals going around).

24champ
07-18-2013, 02:40 PM
The cap is going to be going up with the new NBC TV contract deal kicking in, and also the Stadium Series. League attendance on the whole has been steadily rising. Revenue will be really good and will prompt the cap to go up.

As for Dustin Brown's contract, it is front loaded with a lot of money which will make it easier for a buyout and cap recapture penalties in the future should he retire early.

gyldenlove
07-18-2013, 02:55 PM
By then, the cap will be double what it is right now and it will look even better (at least that's what I keep telling myself with all the 8 year deals going around).

Unless the NHL opts out after 8 years, which would be 1 year short of his contract and want another cap decrease.

Lestat
07-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Unless the NHL opts out after 8 years, which would be 1 year short of his contract and want another cap decrease.

the cap will be 70+ mil in two years. it won't matter by then in terms of deals under 6 mil.

RaiderH8r
07-18-2013, 05:01 PM
By rights shouldn't he be a Caps fan then as Washington kicked the kings ass quite comprehensively?

Technically yes. But he's 5.

He likes the caps too (we live in NOVA). Again...5. I'm just glad he likes the game.

Lestat
07-18-2013, 05:43 PM

im sorry but clarkson and brown are good players, but i see them in the 3.5 to 4 range, for them to be over 5 is just insane, hartnell is just as bad, hes a decent guy at 4 but 4.75 is a bit high for me, and dont even get me started on 1 great year and some average numbers giroux getting 8+

well Brown is a 20 goal scorer every year aside from this one and generates 50+ points and he's the captain.
Clarkson made no sense, Brown is worth it.

24champ
07-18-2013, 05:47 PM
Technically yes. But he's 5.

He likes the caps too (we live in NOVA). Again...5. I'm just glad he likes the game.

You're son is extremely smart. :thumbs:

Does he have a favorite player yet on the Kings?

RaiderH8r
07-18-2013, 06:00 PM
You're son is extremely smart. :thumbs:

Does he have a favorite player yet on the Kings?

Not yet but I look forward to taking him to a caps game.

Beantown Bronco
07-19-2013, 11:44 AM
2013-2014 schedule is out!

Time to plan the road trips.

Tombstone RJ
07-19-2013, 01:09 PM
New Conferences and Divisions:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=678456&print=true

DivineLegion
07-19-2013, 01:15 PM
The cap is going to be going up with the new NBC TV contract deal kicking in, and also the Stadium Series. League attendance on the whole has been steadily rising. Revenue will be really good and will prompt the cap to go up.

As for Dustin Brown's contract, it is front loaded with a lot of money which will make it easier for a buyout and cap recapture penalties in the future should he retire early.

This is a great point.

With the merger this season, the former SE division teams FLA, CAR, TB, and WAS will have higher ticket sales with more games against northern teams. Raleigh in particular will field higher ticker sales on the sheer transplant dynamic of the population. We always do well in regards to attendance against NY teams, and now we have both NY teams and NJ in our division. That coupled with the draw of familiar perennial winners like Detroit comming to the RBC center 4 times a year will be a huge boon for the club. I'm sure similar responses will be prevalent throughout Florida as well, with the proximity of Washington also providing a similar dynamic.

24champ
07-19-2013, 01:22 PM
New Conferences and Divisions:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=678456&print=true

The Metropolitan Division? WTF? Hilarious!

Lestat
07-19-2013, 01:26 PM

wow, that's just weak sauce. :rofl:

OrangeSe7en
07-19-2013, 04:33 PM

The good thing is that it's not all teams being this irresponsible. It's only a handful. The bad thing is that these teams probably have some sway when it comes to lockouts. Toronto is the worst culprit of them all.

gyldenlove
07-22-2013, 01:21 PM

Explain to me how a division with only 2 teams situated in cities on the Atlantic coast is called the Atlantic division, while a division with 5 teams with arenas less than 30 miles from the Atlantic coast is called the metropolitan division?

They should just name the divisions after the people trophies are named after so they can rename the trophies after players more relevant.

Pacific becomes the Hart division. Central becomes the Art Ross division. Metropolitian becomes the Vezina division. Atlantic becomes the Norris division.

The Hart trophy is renamed to the Gretzky trophy. The Art Ross trophy is renamed to the Lemieux trophy. Vezina trophy gets renamed to the Sawchuck trophy and Norris trophy gets renamed to the Orr trophy.

Beantown Bronco
07-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Explain to me how a division with only 2 teams situated in cities on the Atlantic coast is called the Atlantic division, while a division with 5 teams with arenas less than 30 miles from the Atlantic coast is called the metropolitan division?

You might not know this but the "New York/New Jersey Metropolitan area" is a common nickname for that part of the country.....half of the teams in that division are in it or right next to it. It makes sense actually.

gyldenlove
07-22-2013, 04:59 PM
You might not know this but the "New York/New Jersey Metropolitan area" is a common nickname for that part of the country.....half of the teams in that division are in it or right next to it. It makes sense actually.

I get the metropolitan name, it is the atlantic name I don't get. Detroit, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa are all more than 300 miles from the Atlantic coast and Tampa is nearly 100 miles from the coast.

24champ
07-22-2013, 05:28 PM

They should just name the divisions after the people trophies are named after so they can rename the trophies after players more relevant.

Pacific becomes the Hart division. Central becomes the Art Ross division. Metropolitian becomes the Vezina division. Atlantic becomes the Norris division.

The Hart trophy is renamed to the Gretzky trophy. The Art Ross trophy is renamed to the Lemieux trophy. Vezina trophy gets renamed to the Sawchuck trophy and Norris trophy gets renamed to the Orr trophy.

Because its Bettman. It would make too much sense to do what you suggested.

chadta
07-23-2013, 03:54 AM
Because its Bettman. It would make too much sense to do what you suggested.

I heard the original names they wanted to use were

Crosby division
the non crosbys
the other none crosbys
and the really not crosbys