PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Tickets-Be Careful

rugbythug
09-15-2012, 08:31 AM
For the last couple of years a co-worker and I have been splitting his Uncles season tickets. Apparently the Uncle ,who I have never met, is in his 80's and wants to keep the tickets but does not enjoy the games like he once did. So we buy the tickets at face value but we have to pay for them in February. Great seats.

Last Sunday I get a babysitter and take off for the Pittsburgh game 2 hours earlier than normal just to partake in some of the pregame revelry. I enjoy the whole experience. Normally I hit a sports bar around the light rail then take the train into the game. I drive from Pueblo so I like to get on the train and skip traffic on the way home. The atmosphere on the way in was awesome hardly any Steelers fans at all. We arrive way early with no lines for getting through security. As I am getting my ticket scanned I get a big x. Ticket people say "Please go to will call something is wrong with your tickets." At Will Call the agent informs me that the Season Ticket holder has had the tickets reprinted. My tickets are not good and the game is sold out. They did have 2 unclaimed tickets in the Steelers section and I buy those. I end up sitting in row 22 section 542. 2nd worst seats in the stadium.

The next day the Broncos ticket office informs me that not only were my Steelers tickets void but so were all the rest of the tickets I had purchased that season. My Co-Worker feigns ignorance but it soon comes to light that at one of the preseason games he went to he got thrown out of the stadium. I google the season ticket holder and get a line to call him directly. At first he avoids talking to me as he really has no Idea who I am, but finally after getting his sons email I am able to send him a message stating How sorry I am for the problem his nephew caused. That evening a different family member calls and now they have sent me the rest of the tickets I had purchased, even giving me an extra game they had wanted to reimburse me for the steelers.

Moral to the story if you are sharing tickets make sure that guy is not an asshole who gets banned from Mile High.

Taco John
09-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Glad it worked out. What an idiot that guy was. Would love to know his story...

TheReverend
09-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Guy was probably raised on Ghostbusters

Heathens.

RhymesayersDU
09-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Yeah I'd love to know what got him kicked out.

colorado jones
09-15-2012, 09:33 AM
This is one of the reasons it is tough to get single game tickets at a place like Lambeau without knowing someone.

That One Guy
09-15-2012, 09:42 AM
This is one of the reasons it is tough to get single game tickets at a place like Lambeau without knowing someone.

The problem, though, is the more people get out of the habit of going to the games on gameday, the more they'll realize the home experience is better. Teams are continuing to jack up the prices and letting people maintain monopolies over the tickets but the day will come when they can't get anyone to show up and we'll be able to trade it back to the times when the tradition was ruined by greed. That is now.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-15-2012, 09:58 AM
HD Sunday ticket on 80" LCD at home > the hassle of going to live game.

That One Guy
09-15-2012, 10:04 AM

I have neither Sunday ticket nor an 80" tv and it's still > the hassle of a live game.

It's just a matter of time until others get priced out and realize it.

Taco John
09-15-2012, 10:10 AM
I love being at a game live. It's a novelty for me because I live out of state. I used to go to every Denver/Seahawks game when the 'hawks were in our division. I miss it. I think it's worth it to make it to a game when I can.

ghwk
09-15-2012, 10:12 AM

Shouldn't you be playing with those 9 million kids you and your wife have created instead of plopping yourself in front of a big screen with your feet up?

Not that I'm jealous of your set up or anything, nope not at all.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-15-2012, 10:15 AM
I have neither Sunday ticket nor an 80" tv and it's still > the hassle of a live game.

It's just a matter of time until others get priced out and realize it.

I try to make it to a game per year, but it's to the point where it just isn't worth the hassle... especially for out of staters like me. Starts with having to fly, which I just about refuse to do anymore thanks to the TSA.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-15-2012, 10:16 AM
Shouldn't you be playing with those 9 million kids you and your wife have created instead of plopping yourself in front of a big screen with your feet up?

Not that I'm jealous of your set up or anything, nope not at all.

9 million beer fetchers.

That One Guy
09-15-2012, 10:17 AM
I love being at a game live. It's a novelty for me because I live out of state. I used to go to every Denver/Seahawks game when the 'hawks were in our division. I miss it. I think it's worth it to make it to a game when I can.

Honest question: Why?

I used to LOVE going to college games as a kid. My dad worked at Eastern Michigan in the late 90s and they were awesome games to go to. You had the gameday atmosphere but it was still enjoyable. I went to a Lions/Broncos game a few years ago (the one where Cutler got hurt and we got beat down like 42-7 or something) and even without the beatdown factor, it pretty much sucked. So crowded you could barely move, people in and out nonstop, if one person stood, everyone had to stand to see, etc. Then figure the stadiums are so big and you're so far from the field in many cases (we were at a corner and it seemed the ball was ALWAYS on the other end), I ended up watching most of the game on the televisions anyways just to see what was going on.

I sincerely do not understand. I thought it'd be one of those things you just have to experience but, once I did, I think I decided to never do it again.

TheReverend
09-15-2012, 10:21 AM

I have a 65" and reading your post makes me feel inadequate ROFL!

TheReverend
09-15-2012, 10:22 AM
I try to make it to a game per year, but it's to the point where it just isn't worth the hassle... especially for out of staters like me. Starts with having to fly, which I just about refuse to do anymore thanks to the TSA.

You can't be serious, right?

TheReverend
09-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Honest question: Why?

I used to LOVE going to college games as a kid. My dad worked at Eastern Michigan in the late 90s and they were awesome games to go to. You had the gameday atmosphere but it was still enjoyable. I went to a Lions/Broncos game a few years ago (the one where Cutler got hurt and we got beat down like 42-7 or something) and even without the beatdown factor, it pretty much sucked. So crowded you could barely move, people in and out nonstop, if one person stood, everyone had to stand to see, etc. Then figure the stadiums are so big and you're so far from the field in many cases (we were at a corner and it seemed the ball was ALWAYS on the other end), I ended up watching most of the game on the televisions anyways just to see what was going on.

I sincerely do not understand. I thought it'd be one of those things you just have to experience but, once I did, I think I decided to never do it again.

Social environment. I love going to games.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-15-2012, 10:26 AM
I bought it at Sams Club. Paid less for it than I did for a 65" sxrd Sony a few years ago. It's amazing how inadequate my 65" tv is in comparison.

TheReverend
09-15-2012, 10:27 AM
I bought it at Sams Club. Paid less for it than I did for a 65" sxrd Sony a few years ago. It's amazing how inadequate my 65" tv is in comparison.

Ugh. I'm gonna have to go get a new TV now.

RhymesayersDU
09-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Count me in as love going to games. Last Sunday was ridiculously fun.

razorwire77
09-15-2012, 10:30 AM

That's basically where I'm at in my life. I can either watch the game on a 60 inch flat screen, grill great food and drink quality beer fairly inexpensively and if the Broncos win have a guaranteed good time.

Or I can potentially:

be be told to stand up, or sit down.

pay $25 for parking and $7 for a Coors Light.

have some overzealous cop try to give me a DWI at a checkpoint because I have a slight odor of two $7 Coors Lights on my breath.

Get a beer dumped on me (accidentally, or intentionally.)

Lose my temper and go to jail for punching somebody that intentionally dumped a beer on me.

Face long lines when I come, go, or take a piss.

Tough decision.

Although I still take in one live game per year and several college games annually.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-15-2012, 10:30 AM

I'm dead serious. I fly only out of absolute necessity because of this.

TheReverend
09-15-2012, 10:31 AM

It takes a few extra minutes now... that's really it. Hell, I keep HOPING for a good fondling and just can't get it.

My quality of life would be shattered (then again, others probably dont take double digit vacations annually...)

DENVERDUI55
09-15-2012, 10:35 AM

What do they do that is so bad?

Dr. Broncenstein
09-15-2012, 10:36 AM
It takes a few extra minutes now... that's really it. Hell, I keep HOPING for a good fondling and just can't get it.

My quality of life would be shattered (then again, others probably dont take double digit vacations annually...)

I suppose it's a personality flaw of mine but I don't like having to prove I'm not a terrorist and my kids aren't carefully disguised bombs.

That One Guy
09-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Social environment. I love going to games.

The only thing I'm missing is someone good to watch the game with. I can't leave the wife and kid for hours on the weekends to go to the bar so I'm in my living room. The Mane usually satisfies the urge to have someone to vent/chat/homer with.

For me, though, that's just not enough to overcome the negatives, I guess. That's a personal valuation, though.

TheReverend
09-15-2012, 10:39 AM
I suppose it's a personality flaw of mine but I don't like having to prove I'm not a terrorist and my kids aren't carefully disguised bombs.

I marker my daughter with a fake beard and slap a turban on her before we go anywhere.

Builds character.

razorwire77
09-15-2012, 10:39 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Aq-G4HATiC8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That One Guy
09-15-2012, 10:40 AM
What do they do that is so bad?

Can't speak for him but for me, it's the principle of the matter. A sign of things to come in the future that make me disappointed.

TheReverend
09-15-2012, 10:40 AM
The only thing I'm missing is someone good to watch the game with. I can't leave the wife and kid for hours on the weekends to go to the bar so I'm in my living room. The Mane usually satisfies the urge to have someone to vent/chat/homer with.

For me, though, that's just not enough to overcome the negatives, I guess. That's a personal valuation, though.

Can't tailgate in the living room :)

Dr. Broncenstein
09-15-2012, 10:42 AM

Can't get arrested for public drunk in the living room.

That One Guy
09-15-2012, 10:42 AM

I can grill like the fatass that I am and all the beer I need is in my fridge. A few beers in and it's the best tailgate ever, everytime.

DENVERDUI55
09-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Can't speak for him but for me, it's the principle of the matter. A sign of things to come in the future that make me disappointed.

I go through TSA everyweek several times and it is no big deal if you know what you are doing.

That One Guy
09-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Not to mention, I popped up at a OM tailgate at that game I went to and with the price of everything, people could only afford enough room to set up and then everyone could just stand around. Anyone trying to play catch or something had a constant fear of hitting passerbys with the ball.

That One Guy
09-15-2012, 10:45 AM
I go through TSA everyweek several times and it is no big deal if you know what you are doing.

I've gotten tagged for explosives a few times and it wasn't ever a major issue. That's not the problem. The problem is when you look at it on a deeper level. What it all means.

TheReverend
09-15-2012, 11:31 AM
I've gotten tagged for explosives a few times and it wasn't ever a major issue. That's not the problem. The problem is when you look at it on a deeper level. What it all means.

What it all means is that you better enjoy the **** out of your immediate surroundings

spdirty
09-15-2012, 11:46 AM
I looked at going to a few games this year. Basically the best price I could find was $120 per ticket on the top level south and north sides. I'm not doing that.

Like others here, I'll enjoy the games on my 65" with Sunday Ticket while enjoying and participating in the overreactions of the mane game thread.

Till people stop going and those prices go down, I'm not going.

Crushaholic
09-15-2012, 11:48 AM
That's basically where I'm at in my life. I can either watch the game on a 60 inch flat screen, grill great food and drink quality beer fairly inexpensively and if the Broncos win have a guaranteed good time.

Or I can potentially:

be be told to stand up, or sit down.

pay $25 for parking and $7 for a Coors Light.

have some overzealous cop try to give me a DWI at a checkpoint because I have a slight odor of two $7 Coors Lights on my breath.

Get a beer dumped on me (accidentally, or intentionally.)

Lose my temper and go to jail for punching somebody that intentionally dumped a beer on me.

Face long lines when I come, go, or take a piss.

Tough decision.

Although I still take in one live game per year and several college games annually.

You forgot: Being pooped on by pigeons

Games watched on the couch are so much better. There's not the hassle of fighting crowds, and the view is a lot better. I do miss some of my Broncos friends that I met at tailgates, but I'll get back there...^5

rugbythug
09-15-2012, 11:55 AM
I like affecting the Games. Making Ben take a Timeout. I like being a better fan than all of you fat asses on the couch.

I end up watching the games again on TV because you miss so much.

RhymesayersDU
09-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Till people stop going and those prices go down, I'm not going.

Quite a paradox. Because if you start going when prices go down, they'll go right back up.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Quite a paradox. Because if you start going when prices go down, they'll go right back up.

Supply goes up, demand goes down. Can't explain that.

broncosteven
09-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Yeah I'd love to know what got him kicked out.

Blew up the Family changing station/bathroom while cooking up a batch of METH for the 2nd half?

crush17
09-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Ticket prices last year for upper level (every game)= $70-100

Add Peyton Manning, and this season they are: $150-250 (for UPPER level!!)

Cheapest tix for the entire season are for the effing Browns game. Like I want to see the Browns.

That One Guy
09-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Ticket prices last year for upper level (every game)= $70-100

Add Peyton Manning, and this season they are: $150-250 (for UPPER level!!)

Cheapest tix for the entire season are for the effing Browns game. Like I want to see the Browns.

Think of how much a day would cost and what you could do with that money.

The price can't be justified in my eyes.

TheReverend
09-15-2012, 01:37 PM
All the damn games I've been to and I've still never seen Peyton play live. That needs to be remedied.

RhymesayersDU
09-15-2012, 01:39 PM
If you really need a cheap ticket, wait until day of. Anybody who has tickets to sell, be it broker or private, is forced to sell for whatever they can get.

Gort
09-15-2012, 01:40 PM

according to the TSA, this is a patdown.

http://annyjacoby.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/tsa-pats-down-passenger-hare-airport-chicago.jpg

Blueflame
09-15-2012, 01:55 PM

We've also deemed it to be far less hassle to do the road trip, even though that road trip is 1100 miles each way.

Lycan
09-15-2012, 01:55 PM
I've only been to 2 games. The Baltimore and Washington games from a couple years back. We lost both, and the opposing fans were a##hats.

But there is something nice about actually being there. Something about it just feels more real.

I would probably have enjoyed it more in Denver surrounded by fellow Bronco fans.

Powderaddict
09-15-2012, 03:15 PM
I love going to the games. The crowd, the energy, the excitement. I try to get to one game per year.

Being at the steelers game was definately one of the highlights of my year.

Kaylore
09-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Going to games is a hassle but I've always made sure I go with someone I enjoy and I'm usually lucky and not sitting around a bunch of dill-soles. Playoff games are the best because I usually splurge for lower bowl seats and everyone that is at one of those is crazy and awesome. That said, one game a year is all I'd ever want to attempt.

TheChamp24
09-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Going to games is a lot of fun, but also kind of a hassle.
And if your team loses, it fricken sucks balls.

But getting there at least 2 hours ahead of time, maybe an hour and a half early.
If you can find a free parking spot, wohoo! If not, like $25 for parking. Then overpriced food/drinks there.
What gets it for me is the atmosphere. Its awesome when things are clicking. Jumping up and down high fiving random strangers after Champ Bailey picks off a pass and returns it for a TD when things are looking lost, it gets exciting.

huh??
09-15-2012, 05:20 PM
I got season tickets last year, so maybe there's some of that "new car smell" effect still going on for me, but it doesn't seem to be too much of a hassle. We don't even live in Colorado yet. (a couple more months):giggle: Last year I was able to schedule appropriate days off to do it. My wife works for a very friendly airline, so flying is free. Almost every time, I'm able to find a rental car for under $30 a day. A couple times I got a rental special for $9.50 for the day. I'll park at the Broadway station and Light Rail to the stadium stop for $9.00ea roundtrip. Then my wife and I will get a couple beers and something to eat during the game. There were a few games where we did that and took the last flight of the day home. Still worth it to me.
If we stay and make it a longer trip, my parents live in Monument. It's an easy drive and we only have to walk in a big crowd to get back to the Light Rail. Less so if we just take our time.

Obviously, I'm fortunate in a few regards, and the amount of hassle involved is a matter of perception. Still fun.

errand
09-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Can't get arrested for public drunk in the living room.

...not to mention the beer is less expensive, food is better, and exactly the way you like it, seats are more comfortable, view isn't obstructed, pigeons aren't ****ting on you, weather isn't an issue, and the bathroom is clean and no lines....and you can DVR the game and never miss a play.

toss in never having to deal with drunk assholes, or potentially getting into **** with one of them

watching at home >>>>>>>>>>>>watching live at stadium

RhymesayersDU
09-15-2012, 05:49 PM
I got season tickets last year, so maybe there's some of that "new car smell" effect still going on for me, but it doesn't seem to be too much of a hassle.

I agree. I don't see how it's some big hassle. My perception might be skewed because I'm single with no kids and I don't live in the suburbs, but I hop on Speer, I'm at the stadium 15 minutes later, and when I get in my car to leave, maybe 30 minutes max.

The pricing concerns and other comments are certainly valid, but again for me it's just not the hassle it's made out to be by others.

TheReverend
09-15-2012, 06:02 PM
toss in never having to deal with drunk a-holes, or potentially getting into **** with one of them

You?!?!? Never! Say it isn't so!

broncosteven
09-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Going to games is a lot of fun, but also kind of a hassle.
And if your team loses, it fricken sucks balls.

But getting there at least 2 hours ahead of time, maybe an hour and a half early.
If you can find a free parking spot, wohoo! If not, like $25 for parking. Then overpriced food/drinks there.
What gets it for me is the atmosphere. Its awesome when things are clicking. Jumping up and down high fiving random strangers after Champ Bailey picks off a pass and returns it for a TD when things are looking lost, it gets exciting.

Yep, There is nothing like being there, you can always tape and rewatch the game later if there is something you think you missed.

Plus you don't have to put up with broadcasters like Randy Cross or Dan Dierdork either hating on the Broncos (Cross) or talking about the time he saw Conrad Dobler naked in the shower.

broncosteven
09-15-2012, 06:10 PM
I agree. I don't see how it's some big hassle. My perception might be skewed because I'm single with no kids and I don't live in the suburbs, but I hop on Speer, I'm at the stadium 15 minutes later, and when I get in my car to leave, maybe 30 minutes max.

The pricing concerns and other comments are certainly valid, but again for me it's just not the hassle it's made out to be by others.

That is IDEAL!

Anyone that lives within that kind of radius who can afford to go but doesn't is flat out lazy

That One Guy
09-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Yep, There is nothing like being there, you can always tape and rewatch the game later if there is something you think you missed.

Plus you don't have to put up with broadcasters like Randy Cross or Dan Dierdork either hating on the Broncos (Cross) or talking about the time he saw Conrad Dobler naked in the shower.

I've been watching NFL for 15+ years and I still learn something new regularly. I appreciate the talking heads.

RhymesayersDU
09-15-2012, 06:41 PM
I've been watching NFL for 15+ years and I still learn something new regularly. I appreciate the talking heads.

I don't know how much I "learn" so to speak, but I do not have the problems with the announcers that a lot of people do. That is something I've never gotten.

broncosteven
09-15-2012, 07:40 PM

I think you can learn more watching live games. You can watch the OL or the D coverages or anything you want, not just the ball carrier or the ball in flight.

Did you learn anything from the dude calling the last PS game for the Cards?

Broncofan_H
09-15-2012, 08:43 PM

I agree. My dad and I have been going since 1987. It's no big "hassle". We get on RTD in Longmont for $10, have a 30-40 minute relaxing ride, park right by the stadium. After the game, we get back on the bus. The cops let the buses out first, so we're back on the road quickly and back in Longmont in 30-40 minutes. Heck, sometimes I even nap on the bus on the way back.

Rock Chalk
09-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Hmm, spend ~$400 to go see a game live, sit in an uncomfortable chair, deal with idiots around me, get beer spilled on me, listen to moronic Bronco fans stadium chair quarterback or, sit in my house, in my comfy recliner, watching on my HD TV (It's not 80 inches, but then again I dont need to compensate). drinking beer that is reasonably priced.

I'll go to a game every now and then, usually though its when someone has an extra ticket and offers it to me for free. I just dont love the NFL football experience live. I'd rather go to a college football game. The experience is 10 times greater. There are no wine and cheese crowds in college, and no one tells you to sit down. If you get beer spilled on you its OK because at least there are hot coeds everywhere.

NFL on TV > College on TV

College Live > NFL Live

Garcia Bronco
09-15-2012, 10:54 PM

Its bull**** and shouldn't be allowed.

Garcia Bronco
09-15-2012, 10:56 PM

I agree with Doc B on flying. I can't stand it because of the TSA.

RhymesayersDU
09-15-2012, 11:45 PM
Ok so I have a question for people, and I want to preface it by saying I'm not making any judgments, I'm not trying to convince people to go to a million NFL games, etc.

But according to some people on this board, there are drunk jerks looking to start fights everywhere, you're not allowed to cheer at all, and there's a LOT of overpriced beer being spilled.

And look, I'm not saying it hasn't happened, or that people are lying. What I am saying is, I've been to about 25 games now, and I've never experienced any of this. And I don't know, maybe I got lucky with my section/surrounding seats, but I've never had an ounce of beer spilled on me. I've never had any drunk assholes looking for a fight. I've never been asked to sit down.

Again, I'm not making any judgments. It's just, it seems so foreign to me because this has not been my experience at all. And that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, of course. And I know many people here have been to way more games than I have. But, well I don't know. Some of you make it sound like the rule rather than the exception, and I just don't think it is.

TD4HOF
09-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Too many goddamned tv timeouts in person. Sitting there watching two pointless huddles disrupting flow drives me nuts. At least at home I can hit the fridge or the john.

Bronco X
09-16-2012, 07:03 AM
I've only been games in person in my life. They were both good games . The first was a game back in the three amigos era against Seattle. Seattle was down a touchdown and driving in the red zone at the end for the tie before the Broncos stopped them. I was a kid and don't remember much but I do remember thinking I probably enjoyed watching at home more. The other was the Clinton Portis 5 TD/200+ yard game when the Broncos blew out a Chiefs team that had only one loss in the season up to that point. It was a hell of a lot of fun, but on the way out I almost got knocked over by a couple of drunks getting into a fight (one Chiefs one Bronco fan of course). It really would have been just about as fun watching at home for free on TV. These days even more so with HDTV.

Football is a very television friendly sport. If you've been to a hockey game live and compare it to watching a hockey game on television, there's just no comparison. With football the experiences are far more comparable.

That One Guy
09-16-2012, 08:12 AM
I think it's very interesting even those who don't want to go to NFL games agree that college games are fun. I don't think I've ever been to a big school game but I may have to hit some up. I always assumed they'd be just like NFL games so watched from home.

RhymesayersDU
09-16-2012, 08:37 AM
I think it's very interesting even those who don't want to go to NFL games agree that college games are fun. I don't think I've ever been to a big school game but I may have to hit some up. I always assumed they'd be just like NFL games so watched from home.

I went to Tennessee/Alabama 2 or 3 years ago, it was ridiculous. I mean the game itself was just a football game like any other, but the pregame atmosphere, the thousands of people in orange, tailgates for miles, etc, completely insane. Lots of fun.

lolcopter
09-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Coworker sounds like a dick

rugbythug
09-16-2012, 09:52 AM

I went to the University of Wyoming. Lots of fun but 70% of the games it is colder than the worst weather I have ever experienced in CO.

tnedator
09-24-2012, 05:08 AM

FWIW, there are thousands of tickets (2,000-5,000) available on Stub Hub and NFL Ticket Exchange for every home game at Lambeau field. Since I'm not sure whether or not you can list tickets on both at the same time, those numbers I gave might need to be double.

All of the teams that are mostly sold out to season ticket holders have tons of tickets on sale on the secondary market for all games.

Blueflame
09-24-2012, 05:26 AM
Too many goddamned tv timeouts in person. Sitting there watching two pointless huddles disrupting flow drives me nuts. At least at home I can hit the fridge or the john.

Dunno that I've ever heard a guy complain about having to watch the cheerleaders do dance routines before.... ;D