PDA

View Full Version : Rahim Moore fined for hit

tsr28
09-14-2012, 03:52 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8378455/three-nfl-safeties-fined-21k-nfl-roughness

"Safeties Madieu Williams of Washington, Taylor Mays of Cincinnati and Rahim Moore of Denver have been fined $21,000 each by the NFL for unnecessary roughness in Week 1."

Kinda crappy, I fell into the camp that thought he didn't lead with the head, stayed low and couldn't avoid contact...

Couldn't find video, this is not in full speed:
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1349620/helmethit.gif

Lestat
09-14-2012, 03:53 PM
holy hell! please don't ruin him again. this is exactly what happened last year when he went down the crapper. had a big hit and got scared to make another big one due to the fine.

Smiling Assassin27
09-14-2012, 03:56 PM
Get John Lynch on the phone and have a come to jesus talk with Rahim.

crush17
09-14-2012, 03:57 PM
The worst part is you can FULLY see him shift his body to try to get the shoulder in first.

Thanks, No Fun League

ColoradoDarin
09-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Complete bull****. There was nothing wrong with his hit.

broncos-rock
09-14-2012, 04:05 PM
And yet polymalu wasn't fined for the dirty play on Thomas

dictionary
09-14-2012, 04:06 PM
And yet polymalu wasn't fined for the dirty play on Thomas

I completely agree with this!

dictionary
09-14-2012, 04:10 PM
So, Im watching the game vs the yinzers again, because after reading through all the Falcons blogs, I was wondering why we didnt have more sacks on Big Ben.

Relevant to this thread and the Rahim hit, 3rd qtr with 5:17, Pitt has the ball, 3rd and 10. Dumervil is held, and by held, I mean he is tackled from behind by the Guard.

I would imagine that Goodell cannot risk having sub-par refs in for such a high profile game--MNF--so, for me, it will be interesting to see the OL vs DL Broncos.

Smilin Assassin
09-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Bad call, bad fine.

The steelers' receiver clearly lowered his head to avoid the hit. If anything, Rahim turned his head to the side and took the brunt of it.

ghwk
09-14-2012, 04:14 PM
A B.S. call IMO other than the league will penalize these regardless of the defenders intent. If I were Moore I'd challenge it just to make a point.

Victor
09-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Rahim should be fined for being stupid. He hit the guy late after it was clearly an incompletion, and he popped him helmet to helmet. Instead for a 4th down punt, it was first and ten. He's lucky he still has a job.

http://bangshift.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/dumbass1.jpg

delany
09-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Pretty sure he wouldn't have been fined if his name was Ted or Bill.

The NFL hates muslims

crush17
09-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Rahim should be fined for being stupid. He hit the guy late after it was clearly an incompletion, and he popped him helmet to helmet. Instead for a 4th down punt, it was first and ten. He's lucky he still has a job.

lol u mad bro?

also, you are wrong. re-watch it. don't act like such a tool.

Captain 'Dre
09-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Pretty sure he wouldn't have been fined if his name was Ted or Bill.

The NFL hates muslims

"Rahim Ted" doesn't have much of a ring to it, though. :)

Victor
09-14-2012, 04:44 PM
lol u mad bro?

also, you are wrong. re-watch it. don't act like such a tool.

Take off your orange color glasses, Jack. It was a dumb play and he's lucky that he didn't hurt the team more than he did.

crush17
09-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Take off your orange color glasses, Jack. It was a dumb play and he's lucky that he didn't hurt the team more than he did.

Agree to disagree, Jack.

Cito Pelon
09-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Hell, Moore was just going for the INT and Sanders got in the way. It's tough on safeties these days.

Victor
09-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Agree to disagree, Jack.

http://www.big13.net/Achorman%20photos/Burgandy.jpeg

Agree to disagree

Lestat
09-14-2012, 04:56 PM
there was nothing wrong with Moore's hit. he was aiming for the mid section and the Steelers WR dropped down and lower his head and shoulder into Rahim.
the call was some bull****, the fine is some bull**** and anyone calling Moore stupid or moronic for the hit needs to actually watch the play and see what Moore was aiming at.

Victor
09-14-2012, 05:07 PM
there was nothing wrong with Moore's hit. he was aiming for the mid section and the Steelers WR dropped down and lower his head and shoulder into Rahim.
the call was some bull****, the fine is some bull**** and anyone calling Moore stupid or moronic for the hit needs to actually watch the play and see what Moore was aiming at.

Aiming for his "mid section". Where is the "mid section" in Alabama? Is it near the head? I did watch the hit, and I watched the replay of the hit, and it was anything but routine, and Rahim was nowhere near the fellows "mid section".

SonOfLe-loLang
09-14-2012, 05:07 PM
i still say that the receiver initiated the contact

DenverBrit
09-14-2012, 05:09 PM

Bingo. That's how it looked live....and in the replays.

LRtagger
09-14-2012, 05:16 PM
The fact that he was fined the same as Taylor mays is retarded. I watched that hit live and mays leaves his feet and launches upwards into the guys chin with his head down. Moore dove downwards towards the guys thighs and the receiver ducked into the hit. Their helmets hit so sure throw a flag but to fine the guy the same as mays is a dick move.

crush17
09-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Victor hates Rahim Moore.
Lets just get that fact straight right here and now.

gunns
09-14-2012, 05:22 PM

http://bangshift.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/dumbass1.jpg

This is exactly what I was thinking when it happened. The way it happened I felt Moore was just trying to tackle and was wondering why. Pay attention.

Crushisback
09-14-2012, 06:07 PM
I would seriously start leading with my Cleats if I was a safety.

Rock Chalk
09-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Deserved the fine. Had plenty of time to just not do anything. Whether it was intentional or not is irrelevant.

maher_tyler
09-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Deserved the fine. Had plenty of time to just not do anything. Whether it was intentional or not is irrelevant.

This. Thought he had more than enough time to react and avoid hitting him at all. The fine is justifiable imo.

Mecklomaniac
09-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Dennis Smith on the hit.

I don't think I could have played in this era, that's the way you play football. I mean there is no way he could've stopped. If you see the play where Rahim runs into the guy, it wasn't even a hard hit. He was trying to stop, you can tell. But there is no way you can completely stop when you are running trying to break up a play, because that's your job as a defensive player. The rules are not clear and they're still not clear but it's not fair and it's really to the disadvantage of the defense because if a running back drops his head and runs into you and runs you over the don't get fined at all.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DoNUc_5JuRQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

To me it looked like Rahim Moore stopped running when the pass was dropped, he didn't leave his feet and launch himself into Sanders. He went low, turned his shoulder and braced for a collision. Sanders dropped his head, and there was nothing Moore could have done to avoid contact.

Mecklomaniac
09-14-2012, 07:07 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3PMGBU-bo-w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rolandftw
09-14-2012, 07:14 PM
The penalty was aggravating to watch as it continued a drive, on one of the rare times we stopped Pitt on 3rd down.

Still, it was the right call. Looked to me like Rahim wasn't paying any attention to the play. The notion that he "couldn't stop" is ridiculous to me. This isn't a case of him in being midair, or he couldn't stop from hitting the player. Hitting the player probably doesn't get him a penalty. It's the helmet-helmet contact that did

Dunno if it's right as far as fines go, but I dunno the specific rules with how players are fined. There's not a standard on amounts as far as I can tell.

Cito Pelon
09-14-2012, 07:26 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3PMGBU-bo-w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Eh, just one of those rock and a hard place kind of things that happens. This is the NFL. No hurtful intent by Moore, he was playing the ball and Sanders happened to get in the way. And vice-versa.

Cito Pelon
09-14-2012, 07:31 PM
I would seriously start leading with my Cleats if I was a safety.

Yeah, just do a scissor on the legs, some jujitsu takedown moves and see if that suits the NFL better. ^5

Rascal
09-14-2012, 07:38 PM
obvious fine....knew it as soon as it happened

Agamemnon
09-14-2012, 07:41 PM
One of the things that annoys me is that offensive players have no culpability even when they lower their heads and initiate the head to head contact, as was the case with Emmanuel Sanders. If you ask me Sanders is far more to blame for the head to head contact than Moore.

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2012, 07:54 PM

watch 42 to 46 seconds people, this is the angle I was talking about in the other thread. Sorry, but Rahim could have avoided the hit altogether.

Broncos_OTM
09-14-2012, 08:01 PM

thought his name was jack, what gives?

troya900
09-14-2012, 08:01 PM
One of the things that annoys me is that offensive players have no culpability even when they lower their heads and initiate the head to head contact, as was the case with Emmanuel Sanders. If you ask me Sanders is far more to blame for the head to head contact than Moore.

I gotta agree with this. Sanders at the end looked over and leaned his whole body and head down as if Rahim can control that.

Tombstone RJ
09-14-2012, 08:14 PM
fact is, Rahim could have hurt himself more that Sanders and it's pretty suprising he didn't get a concussion with that hit as Sander's helmet rattled Rahim's head pretty good too.

The thing is Sanders didn't have the ball and Rahim didn't have to hit him. It would be different if Sanders had the ball and Rahim was going old school and trying to dislodge the ball with a violent hit. However, it just appears Rahim saw that Sanders did not have the ball but went for the big hit anyway. I like the nastiness behind the intent but I just can't get behind the overall bad timing of the play on a third and long by the steelers that ultimately ended in a TD on that drive. Rahim's got to be smarter than that.

cutthemdown
09-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Hopefully he keeps flying around. Safetys should start asking for a few extra hundred grand in contracts because they get the most fines.

It was a good flag, a good fine. If head to head against WR trying to catch the ball is going to be called then this is a good call.

I just hope the Denver WR get the same call when the time comes. That is all we really ask is for it to be even and fair.

TheChamp24
09-14-2012, 08:25 PM
I think people are overestimating the time to adjust at full speed. Moore had a split second to slow down, try to change his trajectory to avoid Sanders as much as possible.
Its nearly fricken impossible. And what makes things more effed up to me, is if Sanders catches that ball moving the same way, same hit, no fine at all. But since he didn't come up with it on a bang bang play, 15 yard penalty and a fine.

cutthemdown
09-14-2012, 08:26 PM
I think people are overestimating the time to adjust at full speed. Moore had a split second to slow down, try to change his trajectory to avoid Sanders as much as possible.
Its nearly fricken impossible. And what makes things more effed up to me, is if Sanders catches that ball moving the same way, same hit, no fine at all. But since he didn't come up with it on a bang bang play, 15 yard penalty and a fine.

The rules says nothing about if player had no chance to avoid etc etc. The chance and technique to avoid happened way before he is head first towards the WR. Not saying i like the rule. I don't. Just saying this was a flag as the rule is written and will get fined every time.

Victor
09-14-2012, 08:34 PM

I might have gone just a bit overboard.

Long week.

BroncsCheer
09-14-2012, 08:57 PM
I think Moore had time to pull up more than he did.
He was looking right at the dropped pass.

Kid needs to learn when to not lay he wood.
Just hope his head can handle this one better.
JDR will have a lot to do with how he handles it. Gotta think JDR likes the intensity.
Inexperienced mistake by my adopt-a-brono

ghwk
09-14-2012, 10:01 PM
I still think it was a bad call. At full speed Moore had about a second and a half to be sure that the receiver didn't have the ball before impact and at that point he went low and the receiver ducked low as well.

If I'm Del Rio I tell him to make that play every time.

Agamemnon
09-14-2012, 10:48 PM
The rules says nothing about if player had no chance to avoid etc etc. The chance and technique to avoid happened way before he is head first towards the WR. Not saying i like the rule. I don't. Just saying this was a flag as the rule is written and will get fined every time.

Actually the rules as written mention whether or not helmet to helmet contact could be avoided which is highly questionable seeing as Sanders lowered his head right as Moore was hitting him. Looking at Moore's trajectory there's no way he was aiming for Sander's head, nor does it appear he had any ability to avoid the helmet to helmet contact as Sanders dropped his head just before contact was made. So no, neither the penalty nor the fine are supported by the rules as written.

Agamemnon
09-14-2012, 10:54 PM
I think Moore had time to pull up more than he did.
He was looking right at the dropped pass.

Kid needs to learn when to not lay he wood.
Just hope his head can handle this one better.
JDR will have a lot to do with how he handles it. Gotta think JDR likes the intensity.
Inexperienced mistake by my adopt-a-brono

Watch the video again. The kid wasn't "laying the wood" at all. You can see him pulling up as the receiver runs into him. If Moore was really trying to lay the wood he could've have killed Sanders honestly. Atwater would have knocked the guy into next month in that situation. I know that. The NFL has pretty much murdered that type of safety play now.

R-Mac
09-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Receivers should just aim their helmets at the defensive backs to secure an automatic 1st down all the time.

BroncoFanDoug
09-15-2012, 10:03 AM

Wow, I saw this so differently. When I watch the video I see:
RM already committed to his tackle (which when started would impact around the chest area)
next I see the ball come loose as the receiver lowers his head
next I see RM try to twist mid flight to avoid head to head

IMHO there should be no flag and no fine.

Play2win
09-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Good mother ****ing football hit.

stopped a potential ballcarrier dead in his tracks.

Steelers are little pussy boys.

OrangeSe7en
09-15-2012, 10:15 AM
It's apparent that these rules are more about Goodell and the TV Networks having their hands in each others pockets. The thinking is that, more passing = more points = bigger ratings.

If it was really about players safety, they'd do something about the blow up hits, where the defender tries to make a tackle by launching himself at a ball carriers knees without making any attempt to wrap up. This leads to more injuries than the helmet to helmet hits on pass plays. Its also a big reason for why the tackling in the NFL is so dreadful.

Play2win
09-15-2012, 10:25 AM
don't care how much players get fined, don't care how much they make, don't about their money...

Just play good on Sundays, and make it enjoyable and so I have fun on Sundays... that is all :)

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Aiming for his "mid section". Where is the "mid section" in Alabama? Is it near the head? I did watch the hit, and I watched the replay of the hit, and it was anything but routine, and Rahim was nowhere near the fellows "mid section".

If you watched the hit, then you know the wr lowered his head, causing the contact.

Rahim was LOW.

Jetmeck
09-15-2012, 01:16 PM
holy hell! please don't ruin him again. this is exactly what happened last year when he went down the crapper. had a big hit and got scared to make another big one due to the fine.

Exactly what I was thinking............somebody better talking to this kid. Don't want another regression.

Archer81
09-15-2012, 01:22 PM
don't care how much players get fined, don't care how much they make, don't about their money...

Just play good on Sundays, and make it enjoyable and so I have fun on Sundays... that is all :)

And dogs and cats living together without mass hysteria, world peace, end to world hunger and the return of the McRib...since we are asking.

:Broncos:

ZONA
09-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Watched Costas on Real Time this week and he talked a bit on the helmet hits and players developing brain problems later on.

These fine are here to stay people. Any type of hit to the head is going to be fined. They're trying hard to get players to avoid these head shots at all costs. If it's on accident or close to that, I don't think they really care. The more they fine, the more notice players will take.

broncolife
09-15-2012, 06:28 PM
I thought it was a bad call. The Offensive player ducks his head and the top of his helmet hits Rahims earhole. If anyone ones leading with their helmet it was the offensive player. If they are going to make these type of fines on unavoidable hits then they should fine both players.

nyuk nyuk
09-15-2012, 06:31 PM
Ah, yes. That one. I'm not quite sure what to make of it, but these scab refs are terrible.

TheReverend
09-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Ah, yes. That one. I'm not quite sure what to make of it, but these scab refs are terrible.

I think it was clean, but full speed I probably would've thrown the flag too.

**** happens.

oubronco
09-15-2012, 07:06 PM
I thought it was a bad call. The Offensive player ducks his head and the top of his helmet hits Rahims earhole. If anyone ones leading with their helmet it was the offensive player. If they are going to make these type of fines on unavoidable hits then they should fine both players.

Exactly

Agamemnon
09-15-2012, 09:30 PM
I think it was clean, but full speed I probably would've thrown the flag too.

**** happens.

The penalty is understandable. The fine is complete bull****.

Agamemnon
09-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Watched Costas on Real Time this week and he talked a bit on the helmet hits and players developing brain problems later on.

These fine are here to stay people. Any type of hit to the head is going to be fined. They're trying hard to get players to avoid these head shots at all costs. If it's on accident or close to that, I don't think they really care. The more they fine, the more notice players will take.

If they are genuinely concerned they need to start forcing repeat concussion victims to retire rather than letting them play until their brains are scrambled eggs. Those are the guys that end up having problems late in life. Instead they are basically ruining the game by fining defensive players for every incident of helmets bumping, no matter how incidental.

cutthemdown
09-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Actually the rules as written mention whether or not helmet to helmet contact could be avoided which is highly questionable seeing as Sanders lowered his head right as Moore was hitting him. Looking at Moore's trajectory there's no way he was aiming for Sander's head, nor does it appear he had any ability to avoid the helmet to helmet contact as Sanders dropped his head just before contact was made. So no, neither the penalty nor the fine are supported by the rules as written.

I would disagree and say Raheem had his chance to not leave his feet head first. That play will always be a fine IMO.

Agamemnon
09-16-2012, 02:14 AM
I would disagree and say Raheem had his chance to not leave his feet head first. That play will always be a fine IMO.

He didn't leave his feet. And when you say you disagree, are you saying that Sanders didn't lower his head before the hit? Because it's right there in the video for you to see. Sanders lowers his head and actually strikes the crown of his helmet against the side of Moore's head. Exactly how does a defender avoid helmet to helmet contact in that situation?

Rock Chalk
09-16-2012, 03:16 AM
If one of our players got hit like that you ****tards would be screaming bloody murder. He had time to pull up. He didn't. He got fined. He deserved it.

Garcia Bronco
09-16-2012, 07:08 AM
I am on the fence after a week. He should have done something different

broncolife
09-16-2012, 12:58 PM
If one of our players got hit like that you ****tards would be screaming bloody murder. He had time to pull up. He didn't.He got fined. He deserved it.

He didnt get fined for not pulling up. If our player got hit like that, there wouldnt have been any reason to biatch about the play because there was a penatly on it.

91BRONCO
09-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Here's my take on the situation. I've watched the play numerous times and quite frankly I didn't think there should be a flag at all and heres why.

The receiver made a football move taking no less than 3 steps from the time the ball hit his hands to when he was hit- on top of that it wasn't a clean drop. He reaches for it high with one hand, deflects it downward and tries to scoop it up with his other hand and then gets hit. Players are taught to finish plays which is what Moore did.

On top of that, Moore hits him low- real low. So low that if he tried to go even lower he would be at risk of injuring himself. It wasn't a blind side hit or a bang/bang play so the reciever should be treated as a ball carrier where helmet to helmet does not apply- he was not a defenseless receiver

Watch the play for yourself again- BS call- anybody who thinks otherwise is a D-bag

Agamemnon
09-16-2012, 01:58 PM
If one of our players got hit like that you ****tards would be screaming bloody murder. He had time to pull up. He didn't. He got fined. He deserved it.

How are you always wrong? Do you do it on purpose or is it simply the result of catastrophic brain damage sustained as a child?

Agamemnon
09-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Here's my take on the situation. I've watched the play numerous times and quite frankly I didn't think there should be a flag at all and heres why.

The receiver made a football move taking no less than 3 steps from the time the ball hit his hands to when he was hit- on top of that it wasn't a clean drop. He reaches for it high with one hand, deflects it downward and tries to scoop it up with his other hand and then gets hit. Players are taught to finish plays which is what Moore did.

On top of that, Moore hits him low- real low. So low that if he tried to go even lower he would be at risk of injuring himself. It wasn't a blind side hit or a bang/bang play so the reciever should be treated as a ball carrier where helmet to helmet does not apply- he was not a defenseless receiver

Watch the play for yourself again- BS call- anybody who thinks otherwise is a D-bag

Sums up Rock Chalk quite nicely...