PDA

View Full Version : Working Out DTs

Bmore Manning
09-12-2012, 03:45 PM
http://mobile.twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/246004310285107201

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5620/brian-price

According to Pro Football talk Denver hosted three free agent DTs, vying for a spot in the DLine rotation.

Brian Price, Daniel Muir, and Terrell McClain

maher_tyler
09-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Who?

Crushisback
09-12-2012, 03:48 PM
I'd like to test out Brian Price. Maybe JDR could unlock some of his potential.

Bmore Manning
09-12-2012, 03:52 PM
I mentioned Price as an option after Tampa cut him loose. Apparently he worked out for Minnesota and they didn't sign him.

McClain was just drafted last year, he was a third round pick for Carolina.

Daniel Muir doesn't have an impressive resume. I never liked his game in Indy.

I would suggest looking elsewhere.. Price may not be mentally there, McClain was drafted in the second round and discarded after one season.. On a below average defense. I won't waste anymore time on Muir..

TheReverend
09-12-2012, 03:55 PM
http://mobile.twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/246004310285107201

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5620/brian-price

According to Pro Football talk Denver hosted three free agent DTs, vying for a spot in the DLine rotation.

Brian Price, Daniel Muir, and Terrell McClain

Price - starter for the Buccs last year (his 2nd year playing - 2nd round draft pedigree) and put up decent numbers. Traded to Bears after rocky off-season (internally to the organization), and waived by them for lord knows what reason, but that would give me cause for concern right there.

Muir - former Colts starter (although they continually tried to get rid of him -- and only succeeded last year mid season). Poor player with poor skills and no ceiling.

McClain - 2011 rookie with a 3rd round pedigree, started 12 games for Carolina last year, notching 1 sack and meh tackle numbers.

-----------------------------------------

I'd go McClain

Tombstone RJ
09-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Price is the kid who just had a close relative die or something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Price_(American_football)

looks like a he's pretty broken up about the death of one of his sisters: In May 2012, his sister Bridget, 30, died as a result of a car accident in Inglewood.[13][14]

DBroncos4life
09-12-2012, 04:07 PM
I think Price would be the better of the three.

ludo21
09-12-2012, 04:07 PM
What about Sealga, no chance to make the roster? or is this in addition?

Bmore Manning
09-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Price - starter for the Buccs last year (his 2nd year playing - 2nd round draft pedigree) and put up decent numbers. Traded to Bears after rocky off-season (internally to the organization), and waived by them for lord knows what reason, but that would give me cause for concern right there.

Muir - former Colts starter (although they continually tried to get rid of him -- and only succeeded last year mid season). Poor player with poor skills and no ceiling.

McClain - 2011 rookie with a 3rd round pedigree, started 12 games for Carolina last year, notching 1 sack and meh tackle numbers.

-----------------------------------------

I'd go McClain

I wouldn't, before his season ending injury he was graded as the worst DT verse the run..
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6618/terrell-mcclain

TheReverend
09-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Price is the kid who just had a close relative die or something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Price_(American_football)

looks like a he's pretty broken up about the death of one of his sisters: In May 2012, his sister Bridget, 30, died as a result of a car accident in Inglewood.[13][14]

Ooooh... if that's the case he might be a good one to grab and hold onto.

Bmore Manning
09-12-2012, 04:10 PM

About time we agree!

Broncobiv
09-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Heck, I'll even go so far as to say he would be the best of the three!

Mediator12
09-12-2012, 04:17 PM
I was really high on McClain last year, but he has a little dog in him. He has all the physical tools, but not the toughness or killer mentality a NT needs at the NFL level yet. I am not sure getting let go in your 2 is a good sign for the mental aspect.

Price is the same way, with a little better physical tools.

Muir is a depth signing. I saw him play in INDY live and he was a replaceable starter level on the worst DT group in the NFL.

I'd gamble on either of the first 2. They both have what it would take if someone could just turn the lights on for them. JDR might have a shot, but the DL they drafted in JAX also failed to develop and his track record is spotty. DT was much better than DE though.

DBroncos4life
09-12-2012, 04:19 PM
About time we agree!
:) Well he is young and if we can get his head right I think we improve our pass rush from the inside for a steal. The other guys you liked were older on their last legs.

Bmore Manning
09-12-2012, 04:23 PM
:) Well he is young and if we can get his head right I think we improve our pass rush from the inside for a steal. The other guys you liked were older on their last legs.

That's the same thing Bannan is.. I had preferences for more proven NTs, that's all. We just disagree on which player on his last leg to choose!

And that was my stance on Price when I mentioned him.

Bmore Manning
09-12-2012, 04:25 PM
I was really high on McClain last year, but he has a little dog in him. He has all the physical tools, but not the toughness or killer mentality a NT needs at the NFL level yet. I am not sure getting let go in your 2 is a good sign for the mental aspect.

Price is the same way, with a little better physical tools.

Muir is a depth signing. I saw him play in INDY live and he was a replaceable starter level on the worst DT group in the NFL.

I'd gamble on either of the first 2. They both have what it would take if someone could just turn the lights on for them. JDR might have a shot, but the DL they drafted in JAX also failed to develop and his track record is spotty. DT was much better than DE though.

Good analysis, a similar stance to how I feel.
Price is facing a serious mental hurdle, his talent is undeniable. McClain is ehhh to me. And we both know Muir all to well!

Jekyll15Hyde
09-12-2012, 04:27 PM
I'd like to test out Brian Price. Maybe JDR could unlock some of his potential.

this

DBroncos4life
09-12-2012, 04:32 PM
That's the same thing Bannan is.. I had preferences for more proven NTs, that's all. We just disagree on which player on his last leg to choose!

And that was my stance on Price when I mentioned him.

Bannan was just more versatile then the other players you wanted, which I think is what the coaching staff was looking for. He pretty much has played everywhere on the DL on the 3-4 and 4-3. Can't beat that.

Not sure how fast Price can pick things up but, seems like the type of player you can just say hey go get the QB when Denver has the lead. We can never have enough of those. Hell I would get Carter or Odom in here as well :)

Requiem
09-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Brian Price plz.

Bmore Manning
09-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Bannan was just more versatile then the other players you wanted, which I think is what the coaching staff was looking for. He pretty much has played everywhere on the DL on the 3-4 and 4-3. Can't beat that.

Not sure how fast Price can pick things up but, seems like the type of player you can just say hey go get the QB when Denver has the lead. We can never have enough of those. Hell I would get Carter or Odom in here as well :)

I couldn't agree with not having enough pass rushers!
I would only take Price of the three.. But I would like to see Wolfe at DT and Jackson/Ayers at DE.

HILife
09-12-2012, 05:09 PM
I mentioned Price as an option after Tampa cut him loose. Apparently he worked out for Minnesota and they didn't sign him.

I would suggest looking elsewhere.. Price may not be mentally there, McClain was drafted in the second round and discarded after one season.. On a below average defense. I won't waste anymore time on Muir..

What?

Lestat
09-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Price is the only dude we should be signing at DT. still has potential and likely to have a chip on his shoulder after his previous two stops.
if he can get his head out of his personal tragedy a bit then he could be a good addition.
still want a DT, a MLB and a OL in the top 3 rounds next year though. MLB and DT being in the top 2 for sure.

Lestat
09-12-2012, 05:13 PM

3rd round, but still. dude wasn't even a factor in carolina who can normally pick some nice DL. he was pure garbage in his time there.
he frightens me no end.

ColoradoDarin
09-12-2012, 05:14 PM
What?

He was so good, he went in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds! Sign him now!!!

/Lombardi

Bigdawg26
09-12-2012, 05:17 PM
I would like Price, but he can't stay healthy. Mcclain is a pretty good DT too, but I don't really know who the other guys is!

BroncoMan4ever
09-12-2012, 05:26 PM
I would only take Price of the three.. But I would like to see Wolfe at DT and Jackson/Ayers at DE.

I like Wolfe at DE primarily and situational DT until he puts on a little more weight and can be a DT that also. Occasionally lines up as a DE

ZONA
09-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Price is the only dude we should be signing at DT. still has potential and likely to have a chip on his shoulder after his previous two stops.
if he can get his head out of his personal tragedy a bit then he could be a good addition.
still want a DT, a MLB and a OL in the top 3 rounds next year though. MLB and DT being in the top 2 for sure.

For sure. I agree in terms of draft next year.

1)MLB
2)DT
3)Safety
4)OL
5)TE
6)CB

Lestat
09-12-2012, 05:32 PM

1)MLB
2)DT
3)Safety
4)OL
5)TE
6)CB

i think safety will be fine once Carter is back and fully healthy. Adams isn't bad at all but i think Moore and Carter form a better duo and would play better for us.

MLB,DT,OL. if they drafted nothing but that next season just 2 MLB's,2 DT's,2 OL it would be fine with me.

my guess is that Elway will go with the highest value on the board and somehow it wouldn't shock me to see a RB or OL taken first. wouldn't stun me to see a DE considering the coaching staff we have.

Bmore Manning
09-12-2012, 05:37 PM
i think safety will be fine once Carter is back and fully healthy. Adams isn't bad at all but i think Moore and Carter form a better duo and would play better for us.

MLB,DT,OL. if they drafted nothing but that next season just 2 MLB's,2 DT's,2 OL it would be fine with me.

my guess is that Elway will go with the highest value on the board and somehow it wouldn't shock me to see a RB or OL taken first. wouldn't stun me to see a DE considering the coaching staff we have.

Manti Teo MLB or Star Louteleti NT are my two favorites.
I'd prefer Teo with our first pick and Kawann Short NT round two.

Bmore Manning
09-12-2012, 05:41 PM
What?

Pretty obvious what it is, thanks for noticing..

Lestat
09-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Manti Teo MLB or Star Louteleti NT are my two favorites.
I'd prefer Teo with our first pick and Kawann Short NT round two.

those are the two i want with our pick next year but both are likely top 10 so we'll have to trade up.
unless both have some kind of weird season that kills their stock.

but if we land either next year i will be flat out geeked.

Bmore Manning
09-12-2012, 05:46 PM
those are the two i want with our pick next year but both are likely top 10 so we'll have to trade up.
unless both have some kind of weird season that kills their stock.

but if we land either next year i will be flat out geeked.

Which two?
I would highly advocate moving up for Teo

Agamemnon
09-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Why didn't we draft a DT again? (Wolfe was apparently drafted as a DE.)

Bmore Manning
09-12-2012, 06:03 PM
I like Wolfe at DE primarily and situational DT until he puts on a little more weight and can be a DT that also. Occasionally lines up as a DE

Jackson is more than capable of playing DE in place of Wolfe providing the same larger presence at DE giving very similar flexibility.. Jackson was everywhere and always around the ball in pre season.

What advantage would starting Vickerson or Mitch bring over Wolfe at UT? Surely neither are proto typical three techs. Bannans not either. What sound better?

Doom, Vick/Unrein, Bannan, Wolfe
Or
Doom, Wolfe, Bannan, Jackson

Bmore Manning
09-12-2012, 06:06 PM

They like him at DE with Von coming behind him. He's got that Red Bryant 4-3 Under role. I would put him at UT and put Jackson at DE myself..

eddie mac
09-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Price has been cut by 2 teams this offseason, the Bears just released him as well. Third time lucky maybe.

TheReverend
09-12-2012, 06:23 PM
They like him at DE with Von coming behind him. He's got that Red Bryant 4-3 Under role. I would put him at UT and put Jackson at DE myself..

Very good post

DBroncos4life
09-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Price has been cut by 2 teams this offseason, the Bears just released him as well. Third time lucky maybe.

Or he was TRADED from the Bucs to the Bears for a draft pick then cut by the Bears.

errand
09-12-2012, 06:44 PM

It's the mane...where members are always thinking that other team's garbage can somehow miraculously become good players upon donning the orange and blue.

I'd understand it if the guy was a proven player coming off injury or a cap casualty...think about how bad the Panthers, Colts, and Bucs are...if these guys couldn't play for them where could they really play?

DBroncos4life
09-12-2012, 06:54 PM
It's the mane...where members are always thinking that other team's garbage can somehow miraculously become good players upon donning the orange and blue.

I'd understand it if the guy was a proven player coming off injury or a cap casualty...think about how bad the Panthers, Colts, and Bucs are...if these guys couldn't play for them where could they really play?

So what is your DT plan for replacing Warren? I mean the team worked out THESE three players so what does that say about the FO?

errand
09-12-2012, 07:09 PM
So what is your DT plan for replacing Warren? I mean the team worked out THESE three players so what does that say about the FO?

Try this...

My dog took a **** in my yard....I scooped it up with a shovel and tossed into my neighbor's yard...the next day he scooped it up and threw into the guy next to his house's yard...who then scooped it up and threw it into the trash.

It's still dog****...it's just being moved from place to place is all.....

pricejj
09-12-2012, 07:18 PM

This. Wolfe has proven that he can be effective at the NFL level...move him to UT, the spot he was drafted for, and the spot he is most effective.

Let Ayers and Jackson battle it out for starting LDE.

Bmore Manning
09-12-2012, 07:18 PM

The reason so many of us like Price as an option is because his skill is undeniable. The issue with him is mental, he has had some issues in his young life. The rest were team cast offs, Price is just a young man who has had to deal with tragedy, that he has not been able to overcome.

DBroncos4life
09-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Try this...

My dog took a **** in my yard....I scooped it up with a shovel and tossed into my neighbor's yard...the next day he scooped it up and threw into the guy next to his house's yard...who then scooped it up and threw it into the trash.

It's still dog****...it's just being moved from place to place is all.....

Try this... Price wasn't cut by two teams this season. Try looking into things before you agree with a person on the mane before you start babbling about it as if it was the truth. The Bears only cut Price because Okoye cut by the BUCS and they brought him back.

pricejj
09-12-2012, 07:24 PM
There has got to be a better option than Vickerson as starting UT. He can't fight his way out of a wet paper bag.

Bmore Manning
09-12-2012, 07:47 PM
I don't think that we are as dire as it would appear after losing a starter to a thought thin position.

What I took from Sunday night, was how great of a job we did collapsing the middle running lanes, keep in mind this was without Ty Warren who played 5 snaps. Where we broke down was outside containment. All the runs that net the largest gain where bounced to the outside, after we failed to contain and set the edge. This means our "scrub" DTs that we need to replace were able to clog the lanes of one of the best straight ahead run blocking teams in all of the NFL. This unit consisted mostly of Bannan, Unrein, and Vickerson.

Where our "scrub" DTs showed weakness, was generating interior pressure, which ironically was the problem of last season. In my opinion adding a DT should be someone whom can collapse the pocket from the interior, not another run defender. I believe we have that player on the roster in Wolfe.

Because Denver has a great edge rusher who plays LB, we utilize the 4-3 Under scheme, where as many of you know, it requires Von play at the line in a 5-2 front. At that strong side DE, you want a strong player who generates push, but can create pressure and contain the run I.E. Red Bryant of Seattle or Derek Wolfe for us!

So, based on what the responsibilities are of our scheme, and our personnel. We have 3 hybrid DE/DT players who could fill that strong side DE role..
Derek Wolfe, Malik Jackson, Robert Ayers. I personally think that Malik would be the perfect SDE in our scheme, he brings that size on the line, which reduces the need to bring a safety in the box, which is one of the big positives of the scheme, it allows more safety coverage in the secondary, so that one doesnt have to come up into the box in run support. Also Malik played DT in college and has that size to stop the run but has some pass rushing skills to help create a push from the end like Derek Wolfe. Wolfe can then play UT and give that push from the interior, and we don't lose size off the line.

With Silgs included we have Bannan, Vick, Unrein, Silgs to rotate at DT to stop the run, and Wolfe, Jackson, Ayers to rotate in that hybrid role.
I think we are in better shape than many think!

Traveler
09-12-2012, 07:54 PM

1)MLB
2)DT
3)Safety
4)OL
5)TE
6)CB

I'd change DT to a 3rd priority and make RB the 2nd most position of need.

1)MLB (Manti Teo)
2)RB (Knile Davis)
3)DT
4)OT
5)OG
6)CB

errand
09-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Try this... Price wasn't cut by two teams this season. Try looking into things before you agree with a person on the mane before you start babbling about it as if it was the truth. The Bears only cut Price because Okoye cut by the BUCS and they brought him back.

I didn't say he was cut by two teams...my analogy was pointing out that these players really aren't that good....hence the dog**** reference. And if he was any good they wouldn't have brought back Okoye, they would've kept Price.

As for his being all messed up by his sister's death...it might be a real issue, and it's definitely a tragedy...just wondering why he wasn't messed up and not performing very well when his two brothers were killed? I mean maybe they were much older than him, and he didn't know them as well....I don't know, but it makes me wonder.

DBroncos4life
09-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Bmore I see the move to get Price is a move for the future more then a quick fix. I mean we know the talent is there it's just a matter of getting his head back in the game.

DBroncos4life
09-12-2012, 08:10 PM
I didn't say he was cut by two teams...my analogy was pointing out that these players really aren't that good....hence the dog**** reference. And if he was any good they wouldn't have brought back Okoye, they would've kept Price.

As for his being all messed up by his sister's death...it might be a real issue, and it's definitely a tragedy...just wondering why he wasn't messed up and not performing very well when his two brothers were killed? I mean maybe they were much older than him, and he didn't know them as well....I don't know, but it makes me wonder.

Hey maybe if Okoye didn't suck maybe the Bucs wouldn't have cut him. See how easy that is. :wave:

Bmore Manning
09-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Bmore I see the move to get Price is a move for the future more then a quick fix. I mean we know the talent is there it's just a matter of getting his head back in the game.

Yeah I agree, remember we both thought he would be great if he was signed to the PS to get his **** together.

DBroncos4life
09-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Yeah I agree, remember we both thought he would be great if he was signed to the PS to get his **** together.

I don't think he can be put on the PS now that I think about that. :)

Bmore Manning
09-12-2012, 08:17 PM
I don't think he can be put on the PS now that I think about that. :)

I would cut Tony Carter for Price..LOL!

Hamrob
09-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Isn't Gerrard Warren out there? :-)

Hamrob
09-12-2012, 08:27 PM

1)MLB
2)DT
3)Safety
4)OL
5)TE
6)CBI see it like this:

1. MLB (Need a leader inside)
2. DT (Will this front office ever take a true DT in the 1st 2 rounds?)
3. RB (Magahee...long in the tooth, Moreno...please, Hillman...3rd down)
4. WR (Thomas, Decker....then who?)
5. WLB (DJW/Woodyard...Yuk!)

Those are my top 5 needs list...outside of MLB with our #1....I hope they go BPA of those positions.

Jekyll15Hyde
09-12-2012, 08:33 PM
I see it like this:

Those are my top 5 needs list...outside of MLB with our #1....I hope they go BPA of those positions.

Not willing to give Trevethan some sort of a chance at Will?

errand
09-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Hey maybe if Okoye didn't suck maybe the Bucs wouldn't have cut him. See how easy that is. :wave:

He does suck...which is why he's being bounced around and getting released...just because he sucks less, doesn't mean he doesn't suck.:wave:

uplink
09-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Ham is considered by many in America to be the ultimate holiday entree, but you need not reserve ham strictly for special occasions. Ham preparation

Uncooked and partially-cooked hams must be cooked prior to eating. Be sure and check the label to determine which type you have. Fully cooked hams need not be heated before serving.

Ham can be baked, broiled, sauteed, grilled or simmered. If the ham is too salty for your tastes, you can wash it down and then soak up to 24 hours before cooking to remove some of the salt.

broncosteven
09-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Brian Price plz.

I would go Price also but sign him knowing he will be a project off field to get his head together until he starts hitting the gridiron.

Lestat
09-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Which two?
I would highly advocate moving up for Teo

Star L and Teo are the two guys i want, either one works for our first pick next season.
Star would be huge to get but Teo is the bigger need. our MLB play is God awful.

Bacchus
09-12-2012, 10:24 PM
There has got to be a better option than Vickerson as starting UT. He can't fight his way out of a wet paper bag.

Vickerson does not have to fight his way out of a paper bag. He has to get that big fat ass and stay right in the middle clogging it up so there is no where to run and he did a good job at that while he was in against the Steelers.

Bacchus
09-12-2012, 10:28 PM
I see it like this:

I agree more with this. I woulld move WLB up to #2 though and drop DTdown to 5.

Denver is loaded with young DT right now. Vickerson, Silga, Wolfe, Malik

Give them time to develop although Vickerson isn't young he isn't old either. WLB is a more pressing need.

fontaine
09-13-2012, 01:44 AM

Not sure what you saw but Vickerson was active enough against the Steelers.

On one goal line play he sliced into the backfield and disrupted the run in a tackle for a loss. I thought he played reasonabely well and was decent against the run.

The problem with our front 7 against the Steelers was that the DTs clogged up the interior very well but we didn't contain the outside as well.

Dwyer/Rainey got good yardage going outside when there was an assigned LB/Safety there to bring them down but failed to do so. That's purely on execution and when any DL get the RBs going laterally it's a job well done. It was the outside tackling that let us down.

For example Doom was called on a facemask penalty that extended one drive where the RB was forced to go outside because the DTs clogged the running lanes.

On another red zone play where Dywer I think downed his knee before breaking the plane for a TD, he should have been tackled in the backfield - I think it was Woodyard or Moore that missed on the tacke (the play was reviewed and he was down before the endzone).

You expect a few mistakes here and there because our Safeties were playing deep coverage because of the speed Pitt has at WR but when guys like Woodyard/Moore read the play right, get back to the line of scrimmage they have to finish the play with a tackle.

DENVERDUI55
09-13-2012, 07:20 AM
Star would be huge to get but Teo is the bigger need. our MLB play is God awful.

So you must think we are going 6-10 then to get Star?

TonyR
09-13-2012, 07:32 AM
The problem with our front 7 against the Steelers was that the DTs clogged up the interior very well but we didn't contain the outside as well.

Dwyer/Rainey got good yardage going outside when there was an assigned LB/Safety there to bring them down but failed to do so. That's purely on execution and when any DL get the RBs going laterally it's a job well done. It was the outside tackling that let us down.

Yup. I'm a little concerned what good RB's (i.e. Turner, Foster, McFadden over the next 3 games) are going to do against us. If the elite RB's we play are allowed to bounce outside the way those Pittsburgh stiffs did it's not going to be pretty...

Dedhed
09-13-2012, 07:34 AM

Apparently you didn't watch the game on Sunday.

Bmore Manning
09-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Yup. I'm a little concerned what good RB's (i.e. Turner, Foster, McFadden over the next 3 games) are going to do against us. If the elite RB's we play are allowed to bounce outside the way those Pittsburgh stiffs did it's not going to be pretty...

Turner won't be bouncing anything outside.
You stop Foster and the ZBS by clogging the lanes in the middle so there are no places to cut back. Based on the performance Sunday Night, I think they will do a solid job of reducing the damage.
McFadden will pose a serious threat!

Lestat
09-13-2012, 09:19 AM
So you must think we are going 6-10 then to get Star?

either one is going top 10 and i hope we'll trade up for one of them.
Teo has become a film junky and developed his skills even more, unless he gets hurt he's top ten.
Star was considered a first round pick in last seasons draft and he came back because he loved college.
he hasn't done anything to disappoint and opponents keep trying to run away from his area in the run game.

short of injury both are top 10-15.

i think we'll be pick #32 but that's just my optimism. maybe the value at LB and DT is deep like last year and we don't have to trade up. but those two guys are impact players that would make us better instantly.

pricejj
09-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Not sure what you saw but Vickerson was active enough against the Steelers.

On one goal line play he sliced into the backfield and disrupted the run in a tackle for a loss. I thought he played reasonabely well and was decent against the run.

He is a decent enough backup (on running downs), but keep in mind he has 3.5 sacks total in his 7 year NFL career, which is not what you want at the UT position.

The starting UT, should be someone who can a) stop the run, and b) collapse the pocket. That man is Derek Wolfe. Malik Jackson would do well at LDE in place of Wolfe.

The Broncos will need to collapse the pocket from the UT position against the Patriots to win.

fontaine
09-13-2012, 02:40 PM
He is a decent enough backup (on running downs), but keep in mind he has 3.5 sacks total in his 7 year NFL career, which is not what you want at the UT position.

The starting UT, should be someone who can a) stop the run, and b) collapse the pocket. That man is Derek Wolfe. Malik Jackson would do well at LDE in place of Wolfe.

The Broncos will need to collapse the pocket from the UT position against the Patriots to win.

Yeah we're on the same page on Vickerson's lack of pass rush skills. I just think he can sort of do the job Warren was meant to do in being decent against the run.

Long term I like the evolution of our DL to be one that can rely on guys like Wolfe and even Jackson to collapse the pocket from the interior.

We did try doing that a bit last year with Ayers when he was kicked inside at DT.

Tombstone RJ
09-13-2012, 02:46 PM
So what's the story on Bannan, is he playing?

broncosteven
09-13-2012, 02:52 PM
I see it like this:

I will play

1. MLB
2. Safety Unless someone steps up that deserves to start next to Adams
Rest are Depth:
3. WLB need to groom DJ's replacement, Woodyard is nice depth but not a starter
4. C? they signed Koppen this week, something is not right there.
5. DT Warren is never going to play for us, too much of an injury risk, don't need a stud just a wide body.

I don't see WR as a need, Willis had a nice catch, we have youth, Stokely may play another year if he can keep getting open for PM on 3rd down, he had a very good game on 3rd down Sunday.

I was worried about Decker and DT getting dropsies but everyone, including Tamme who had some drops in PS really were able to make their catches, must be because the ball was placed in the right spot!

Agamemnon
09-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Apparently you didn't watch the game on Sunday.

Huh? How did anything in the game answer my question? Wolfe slides inside on obvious passing downs, but we are still diving into the clearance bin for DT's after one injury. That tells me we should have drafted a guy to play DT full-time.

cmhargrove
09-13-2012, 03:00 PM
So what's the story on Bannan, is he playing?

I thought he played plenty last game. Not much of an asset, not much of a liability. A good rotational guy, but nothing special. We need him "as a body" right now. Hopefully, strong performances by others on the line will help him succeed.

DenverBrit
09-13-2012, 04:09 PM
What?

3-2=1 A 1st round pick. ;D