PDA

View Full Version : It just occurred to me...

Rock Chalk
09-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Something just occurred to me reading the ATL vs Denver thread Kaylore made.

Over the past offseason I have been so freaking excited about the idea of having a real QB that can complete passes, not throw picks in the red zone, doesn't whine and is just you know, pure awesome (see Taco's thread for reference) that I have overlooked a lot of things.

1) This is the best secondary we have ever had. Ever. And its not even close. Champ, Porter and Harris would start on nearly every team in the league. (I may be homering up on Harris a bit since he's one of the few Jayhawks in the league but he is a damn solid corner IMO).
2) This is the best Bronco pass rush I can remember in my football watching life (which began in 1984, or 1983, same game as Taco John I became a fan, so whichever).
3) This offensive line, right now, looks every bit as good as the offensive line we had in 1997/1998.
4) We have two legit WRs, plus a slot guy that is steady and solid + 2 steady TEs.
5) We have a RB that runs hard and with a ton of heart. And we have a backup that dances but is a useful weapon out of the backfield.

I shouldn't just be excited over Manning. We got something special here boys. I got a feeling about this. There are potentially 8 pro-bowlers on this team (Champ, Porter, Manning, Miller, Dumervil, Thomas, Clady, Beadles) and a crapload of solid players all around. And...AND...Manning makes everyone better.

Part of me wishes BDawk could have played one more year, even if it was just as a part time gig, because I think this year may end up special for us and BDawk was the kind of NFL player everyone would love to have seen get a ring.

Yeah, we got some weaknesses, I am aware of that. But every team has weaknesses. Even the Patriots and 9ers. I dont know, I got a good feeling.

Mogulseeker
09-11-2012, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't call Beadles a pro bowler just yet, although his improvement over last year was outstanding... he had the best game of his career against Pitt.

BroncsCheer
09-11-2012, 08:08 PM
It's a little early for a group reach-around, but there's reason for optimism.

It's all about he dirty birds right now.

Taco John
09-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Solid post, but I'm having a difficult time seeing how we beat the Patriots. Any way you look at it, we match up poorly against their offense.

But still - there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic. I'm just saying that the monster under my bed right now wears a number 87 Patriots jersey.

maven
09-11-2012, 08:41 PM
1) This is the best secondary we have ever had. Ever. And its not even close.

What?

Oh **** no.

maven
09-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Solid post, but I'm having a difficult time seeing how we beat the Patriots. Any way you look at it, we match up poorly against their offense.

I think they are our demise if they meet in the playoffs. Need to secure home field, but I can't see that happening and in reality not really possible.

Garcia Bronco
09-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Yep. It's all about surviving the season as healthy as possible, and with a few breaks we could win the whole damn thing.

broncocalijohn
There is some great homerism in this OP.
1) Beadles is not a Pro Bowl. The offensive line has had to work very hard over the last two years and I commend them for it. Better than our SB lineup that included Nalen , Zimmerman, Stink and Sharpe? no way.
2) CBs are good but Louis Wright wants a say in this opinion. Were you includiing safeties? THis is where you lose it.

Marshall Dumervil

But still - there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic. I'm just saying that the monster under my bed right now wears a number 87 Patriots jersey.

What? We simply win in a shootout. :thumbsup:

Really though, I think that's how its going to have to be. I think everyone in the league matches up poorly with them, maybe excluding Baltimore and San Fran.

Broncos_OTM
09-11-2012, 08:48 PM
good post. I agree for the most part.

my first game I remember as a fan was the snow game against green bay.

maven
09-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Yep. It's all about surviving the season as healthy as possible, and with a few breaks we could win the whole damn thing.

Pretty much.

Dream scenario is Baltimore knocks off NE and Denver knocks out Houston. AFC championship in either baltimore or Denver.

maven
09-11-2012, 08:50 PM
2) CBs are good but Louis Wright wants a say in this opinion. Were you includiing safeties? THis is where you lose it.

Well, yah.

Garcia Bronco
09-11-2012, 08:50 PM
The pats te will have to stay in and actually block.

Marshall Dumervil
09-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Pretty much.

Dream scenario is Baltimore knocks off NE and Denver knocks out Houston. AFC championship in either baltimore or Denver.

I don't want to play that game in Baltimore.

maven
09-11-2012, 08:56 PM

Same here, but I think denver could win that road game.

hambone13
09-11-2012, 08:57 PM
What? We simply win in a shootout. :thumbsup:

Really though, I think that's how its going to have to be. I think everyone in the league matches up poorly with them, maybe excluding Baltimore and San Fran.

ahem.....and the Giants.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-11-2012, 09:00 PM
ahem.....and the Giants.

Giants didnt really have to deal with Gronk

maven
09-11-2012, 09:02 PM
ahem.....and the Giants.

If the giants are a problem that means Denver is in the SB. I'll take it!

:strong:

maven
09-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Giants didnt really have to deal with Gronk

He played and danced the night away.

Gmen beat 'em.

Blueflame
09-11-2012, 09:13 PM
There is some great homerism in this OP.
1) Beadles is not a Pro Bowl. The offensive line has had to work very hard over the last two years and I commend them for it. Better than our SB lineup that included Nalen , Zimmerman, Stink and Sharpe? no way.

Sharpe wasn't on the O-line though. ;D T-bone was... and Brian Habib ('97) Dan Neil and Harry Swayne ('98).

broncosteven
09-11-2012, 09:18 PM
We need to upgrade the MLB and find a replacement for the Wizz at WIll along with one more Safety but this team is just about there and with a good run to open the season we could do some great things!

This thread is not Fing G! I think we fianally have a QB the entire Mane can get behind!

maven
09-11-2012, 09:21 PM
I think we fianally have a QB the entire Mane can get behind!

I don't know man, that Orton could throw some pretty balls.

broncocalijohn
09-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Sharpe wasn't on the O-line though. ;D T-bone was... and Brian Habib ('97) Dan Neil and Harry Swayne ('98).

Hey, Sharpe wasnt in the slot every single play! He was in the trenches too. I didn't forget the others but I hope he got my point. Habib, got his away jersey with the extended sleeves. Last I knew, he was in real estate in SD. Sad when he went to Seattle.

errand
09-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Louis Wright....Billy Thompson ....Steve Foley....Bernard Jackson were overall our best secondary unit. In other years we would have great guys like Smith, Bailey, Atwater, Crockett, Lynch...but as an entire unit? Sorry....not even close.

spdirty
09-11-2012, 10:09 PM
You could make a good argument for the corners, not the secondary as a whole though.

Blueflame
09-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Hey, Sharpe wasnt in the slot every single play! He was in the trenches too. I didn't forget the others but I hope he got my point. Habib, got his away jersey with the extended sleeves. Last I knew, he was in real estate in SD. Sad when he went to Seattle.

Hadn't heard about Habib going into real estate... yeah, it sucked seeing him go to the Seachickens.

Kaylore
09-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Harris is one of the best slot corners playing right now.

Bacchus
09-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Some good points although I'll take Rulon Jones, Karl Mecklenberg, Simon Fletcher pass rush.

cutthemdown
09-11-2012, 11:03 PM
I liked it up to the point where you compared the oline to 1997/98. That oline had a HOF on it and was dominant in short yardage situation. They would just collapse dlines one play, then cut them to the ground the next. My name comes from that era. CUTTHEMDOWN! get it? This oline playing great but don't get carried away.

But I was just thinking about the 2010 draft now that Beadles and Walton look like they will be starting for awhile.

Demariious Thomas
Beadles
Walton
Decker

Not a bad haul for one draft.

cutthemdown
09-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Some good points although I'll take Rulon Jones, Karl Mecklenberg, Simon Fletcher pass rush.

What abou Rich Tombston Jackson, Lyle Alzado days. Some say Rich Jackson the best Broncos dlineman to ever play for us.

Bacchus
09-11-2012, 11:09 PM
What abou Rich Tombston Jackson, Lyle Alzado days. Some say Rich Jackson the best Broncos dlineman to ever play for us.

Well, Alzado and Jackson never played together. Jackson was in the late 60's Alzado the Late 70's When Alzado played Denver ran a 3-4 so that is different than a 4-3. When Alzado played Denver had Rubin Carter and I beleive Claudie Minor starting. A grea tline no doubt but not necessarly a great pass rushing line. The LBers did a ot of blitzing in those days.

Of course you could say that Meck was a LBer as he was but he also played DL and blitzed a lot.

Houshyamama
09-11-2012, 11:22 PM

Pick your poison though, in NE or in Baltimore? I'd rather play in Baltimore.

cutthemdown
09-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Rubin Carter. His kid is unemployed right now.

Houshyamama
09-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Harris is one of the best slot corners playing right now.

You guys are getting me all psyched up.

TheReverend
09-12-2012, 04:57 AM
Let's not get too hasty on #3 or #1...

ColoradoDarin
09-12-2012, 05:31 AM
I like the enthusiasm, but let's not start petting our peacocks just yet.

rmsanger
09-12-2012, 05:59 AM
Not to be a negative Nancy but....

1) This may be the weakest LB core (outside of pass-rush) we've had in a generation
2) Our running game, specifically down the field run-blocking looked suspect. How will we look inside the redzone and key 3rd n shorts.

All else aside I'm super excited and agree with most of your points!

TheChamp24
09-12-2012, 06:11 AM
1) This is the best secondary we have ever had. Ever. And its not even close. Champ, Porter and Harris would start on nearly every team in the league. (I may be homering up on Harris a bit since he's one of the few Jayhawks in the league but he is a damn solid corner IMO).

Champ and Porter would start on a lot of teams, most. Harris looks like a solid slot guy. Our safeties are still a little bit of a question mark to me. Moore needs to take that next step.

2) This is the best Bronco pass rush I can remember in my football watching life (which began in 1984, or 1983, same game as Taco John I became a fan, so whichever).

This is the key. How long have we wanted a pass rush? We generate a pass rush with 4 man rush now. How awesome is that?

3) This offensive line, right now, looks every bit as good as the offensive line we had in 1997/1998.

Okay, this is a huge stretch.

4) We have two legit WRs, plus a slot guy that is steady and solid + 2 steady TEs.

People were so down on our WR's/TE's and saying we needed somebody else, while I continued to say we are fine.

I think a lot of people will have underestimated our offense. I was looking in preseason, thinking my god our offense will be rolling along and be feared.
A solid run game with a power runner who has some decent speed in McGahee, an okay guy in Moreno who's solid catching the ball and when he doesn't dance makes a decent run(ie his TD run), Ball is well....meh and I think with Hillman, we'll have that speed back guy with the homerun threat.
Our offense has some talent, Decker playing the role of a possession WR, Thomas the homerun threat, Stokley the reliable slot WR, Willis isn't too shabby. Tamme and Dressen are decent receiving and solid blocking.

Defense, we will have a solid pass rush with Miller and Doom off the edges, Wolfe seems to be pretty decent as well. LB's need to improve, and I think our secondary is solid.

CEH
09-12-2012, 06:21 AM
My keys to a solid Super Bowl contender

#1 a pass rush
#2 a secondary that can get off the field on 3rd down
#3 a potential 12 win team
#4 a solid running game
#5 game changing WRs
#6 a QB that can win it in the final 2 minutes

I think Denver satififies all criteria. Some misfires on #2 in game one but last year #6 overall in 3rd down and Porter is a giant upgrade over Goody

razorwire77
09-12-2012, 06:49 AM

I have nightmares about Gronk and Hernandez isolated on WW or Mays.

A quality MLB via FA and a 1st round WLB has to be the priority during the Manning window.

2KBack
09-12-2012, 07:19 AM

1) This may be the weakest LB core (outside of pass-rush) we've had in a generation
2) Our running game, specifically down the field run-blocking looked suspect. How will we look inside the redzone and key 3rd n shorts.

All else aside I'm super excited and agree with most of your points!

Jashon Sykes and Donnie Spragan say hello

Also the running game had about 100 yards against the perennial top rushing D team in the league....in 3 quarters. It's looking good to me. Moreno was getting 1st downs on 3rd and short against Pittsburgh, did you think we would be saying that?

Bob's your Information Minister
09-12-2012, 07:38 AM
You guys can beat the Patriots because their pass rush isn't close to yours.

Nor is their running game.

You guys are a top 5 NFL team and there is no doubt about it.

BroncoBeavis
09-12-2012, 08:02 AM
You guys can beat the Patriots because their pass rush isn't close to yours.

Nor is their running game.

You guys are a top 5 NFL team and there is no doubt about it.

G D IT BOB. STFU!

This is worse moj than that hairy manboob mojo in that other thread.

Chris
09-12-2012, 08:07 AM
My keys to a solid Super Bowl contender

#1 a pass rush
#2 a secondary that can get off the field on 3rd down
#3 a potential 12 win team
#4 a solid running game
#5 game changing WRs
#6 a QB that can win it in the final 2 minutes

I think Denver satififies all criteria. Some misfires on #2 in game one but last year #6 overall in 3rd down and Porter is a giant upgrade over Goody

I agree. The Giants had suspect linebackers both superbowl years. We have the X factor at QB that means we don't have to be as solid top to bottom as the 49ers or, less so, the Ravens.

Dedhed
09-12-2012, 08:31 AM

Nate Webster says hi. I hate Joe Mays, but the LB group we had at the end of Shanny's reign was perhaps the worst in the NFL over the last 15 years.

DENVERDUI55
09-12-2012, 09:20 AM

My monster wears 81 patriot jersey.

Pick Six
09-12-2012, 09:23 AM
Jashon Sykes and Donnie Spragan say hello

Also the running game had about 100 yards against the perennial top rushing D team in the league....in 3 quarters. It's looking good to me. Moreno was getting 1st downs on 3rd and short against Pittsburgh, did you think we would be saying that?

On a related note, I never thought that Moreno would be the person to get Denver's first TD of the season. I'm sure that was boost to his confidence...

2KBack
09-12-2012, 09:28 AM
On a related note, I never thought that Moreno would be the person to get Denver's first TD of the season. I'm sure that was boost to his confidence...

It was a boost to my confidence. For how many years have we not been able to rush the ball on/near the goalline and on short yardage?

Our running game was much better than the stats would have us believe. We got stuffed a couple times early, and the fumble hurt, but we were getting what we needed by the end.

ludo21
09-12-2012, 09:53 AM
I liked it up to the point where you compared the oline to 1997/98. That oline had a HOF on it and was dominant in short yardage situation. They would just collapse dlines one play, then cut them to the ground the next. My name comes from that era. CUTTHEMDOWN! get it? This oline playing great but don't get carried away.

But I was just thinking about the 2010 draft now that Beadles and Walton look like they will be starting for awhile.

Demariious Thomas
Beadles
Walton
Decker

Not a bad haul for one draft.

Josh Mcdaniels says "hello" :giggle:

BroncoBeavis
09-12-2012, 10:09 AM
The OM is awesome. In one game Waldles goes from barely Arena-league worthy scrubs to irreplaceable sentinels of the Offensive Front. Saviors of the 2010 McDaniels draft. :)

Smilin Assassin
09-12-2012, 10:13 AM
I agree for the most part.

But, though they seem to improve every yr (and continuity will do that), I can't put this O-line up with Zimmerman, Schlereth, Nalen, Neil/Habib and Jones.

Zimmerman's All-World, Nalen should be a HOFer, Schlereth was an iron man veteran and Jones was quite possibly the most underrated Bronco ever.

Jetmeck
09-12-2012, 10:30 AM
still need LBs.....................

offense is right there, just go deep once in a while.
defense still needs some work though

Rock Chalk
09-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Wtf I didn't post this ****

2KBack
09-12-2012, 02:23 PM

Must have been Alec

Rock Chalk
09-12-2012, 02:24 PM
**** that guy.

Bob's your Information Minister
09-12-2012, 04:07 PM
G D IT BOB. STFU!

This is worse moj than that hairy manboob mojo in that other thread.

Ya'll need to enjoy these 2-3 years with Pay-a-ton fully.

Start strutting because it won't last long.

You are damn good, though. Said it since Week 2 preseason.

TheChamp24
09-12-2012, 05:56 PM

http://narwhaler.com/img/cw/i/what-did-i-do-last-night-spiderman-CWIkoD.jpg

Hamrob
09-12-2012, 08:43 PM
One game guys. The Falcons are going to be tough to beat at their house.

I love Manning...but, our defense better learn how to get folks off the field on 3rd down or we are in trouble.