PDA

View Full Version : AP Pro32 comments about Broncos & Tracy Porter named AFC Defensive Player of the Week

Bronco Rob
09-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Denver has found their second shutdown cornerback, and his name is Tracy Porter.

Porter, who the Broncos inked in the offseason to a one-year deal, showed the world why he was just as important a free agent signing as Peyton Manning.

The fifth-year cornerback played lights-out under the lights of the Sunday Night Football game, repeatedly frustrating Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Porter continually came up huge; he recorded eight total tackles while knocking away a career-high five passes from Big Ben to would-be receivers. One such pass he defended zipped over his head as he jumped up to tip it away at the last second. The throw was heading towards Steelers' tight end Heath Miller, who was all alone in the endzone, and Porter's breakup saved a Steelers touchdown, forced them into a field goal, and their lead was only 3-0 at that point instead of 7-0.

But his biggest play came at the end of the game, as Denver's starting right cornerback jumped in front of Emanuel Sanders to pick off Roethlisberger's pass and take it to the house for the game-sealing touchdown.

The Broncos won 31-19, and it was much due to Porter's phenomenal play.

That play earned him AFC Defensive Player of the Week Wednesday, an honor he's surely proud of.

Denver's getting lots of national attention this week; they played on Sunday Night, Peyton Manning will be on the cover of Sports Illustrated and now Porter wins Defensive POW.

To cap it off, the Broncos play again on national television this upcoming week, in Atlanta against the Falcons on Monday Night Football.

http://www.examiner.com/article/denver-broncos-tracy-porter-named-afc-defensive-player-of-the-week

Chris Berman (ESPN, 7) - Peyton Manning told us he was ready. He wasn't kidding.

Clifton Brown (Sporting News, 7) - Peyton Manning played like he had never been away. He makes all of their weapons better.

Cris Collinsworth (NBC Sports, 5) - Manning and a much improved run defense.

Rich Gannon (CBS Sports/SiriusXM NFL Radio, 7) - Was Peyton Manning's play really a surprise?

Bob Glauber (Newsday, 6) - Peyton Manning is back, and all is right with the NFL once more. Nothing like seeing Manning running an offense, even if it's in a different uniform. Tremendous way to start the season with a win over Pittsburgh in a rematch of last year's wild card playoff tilt.

Rick Gosselin (Dallas Morning News, 8) - The Broncos have more than Peyton Manning. After one week, they lead the NFL in sacks.

Clark Judge (CBSSports.com, 7) - Peyton Manning looks like Peyton Manning again, which means Denver's the team to beat in the AFC West. But keep this in mind: Five of its next seven opponents are 2011 playoff teams.

Ira Kaufman (Tampa Tribune, 7) - That move to sign CB Tracy Porter as a free agent looks like an inspired decision heading into the Georgia Dome for a Monday night matchup.

Pat Kirwan (SiriusXM NFL Radio/CBSSports.com, 5) - The Broncos no-huddle offense looks as dangerous as the Patriot version. Manning looked like a guy that threw for 5,000 yards last year rather than dealing with neck surgeries. The defense sacked Roethlisberger five times from five different players.

John Lynch (Fox Sports, 7) - Call me a homer but two words, Peyton "Freaking" Manning. OK, three words. The Broncos looked really good against a really good team in the Steelers.

Alex Marvez (Foxsports.com, 5) - Peyton Manning wasn't the only key offseason pickup. Ex-New Orleans cornerback Terry Porter showed his worth with an interception return for a touchdown that clinched a 31-19 win over Pittsburgh.

Dan Pompei (Chicago Tribune, 8) - Any more questions about Peyton Manning now?

http://bigstory.ap.org/NFL-Pro32 and http://twitter.com/AP-NFL

\

bombay
09-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Alex Marvez mentions the play of 'Terry Porter'.

Really?

cutthemdown
09-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Most talking heads were saying he won't be in synch, don't expect the old manning, he's lost some off his arm.

Really all of that is just because other fans, and the media, hate the Broncos. Manning was the biggest prize in FA until he signed with Denver. Then it became all these questions of whether or not he could still play, etc etc. Why? because he went to Denver. Had he went to San Fran it would have been Superbowl talk from day one.

I thought Moore played his best game as a Bronco. I thought Beadles and Walton played their best games as a Bronco. Wolfe looks like a bonafide NFL starting dlineman and Von Miller is officially a stud. DT is a young player who is making big plays left and right. Hell the only old players we really count on are Bailey, Manning, and Mcgahee.

The team all the sudden is young, athletic, making big plays, and being led by 3 really committed older vets.

Manning- Has any player ever prepared for football like Manning? It's like hes a nerd and football is dungeon and dragons to him. He is always studying, and wanting to talk football. His teammates have no choice but to learn from him

Mcgahee- Can't question this players leadership and heart. The injury he came back from would put many runners out of the league. The career he has put together for different teams shows me he never quits, never gives up. He runs the same way. You don't ever say to yourself Willis Mcgahee not running hard.

Bailey- What can you say about him? He's maybe the best defensive back ever. If not he is top 5 no doubt about it. Does he ever age? He reminds me of marcus allen in that he just doesn't seem to age.

Our team is young, hungry, led by vets like these 3 who still have a lot to prove to themselves and the NFL.

Bronco Rob
09-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Most talking heads were saying he won't be in synch, don't expect the old manning, he's lost some off his arm.

Really all of that is just because other fans, and the media, hate the Broncos. Manning was the biggest prize in FA until he signed with Denver. Then it became all these questions of whether or not he could still play, etc etc. Why? because he went to Denver. Had he went to San Fran it would have been Superbowl talk from day one.

I thought Moore played his best game as a Bronco. I thought Beadles and Walton played their best games as a Bronco. Wolfe looks like a bonafide NFL starting dlineman and Von Miller is officially a stud. DT is a young player who is making big plays left and right. Hell the only old players we really count on are Bailey, Manning, and Mcgahee.

The team all the sudden is young, athletic, making big plays, and being led by 3 really committed older vets.

Manning- Has any player ever prepared for football like Manning? It's like hes a nerd and football is dungeon and dragons to him. He is always studying, and wanting to talk football. His teammates have no choice but to learn from him

Mcgahee- Can't question this players leadership and heart. The injury he came back from would put many runners out of the league. The career he has put together for different teams shows me he never quits, never gives up. He runs the same way. You don't ever say to yourself Willis Mcgahee not running hard.

Bailey- What can you say about him? He's maybe the best defensive back ever. If not he is top 5 no doubt about it. Does he ever age? He reminds me of marcus allen in that he just doesn't seem to age.

Our team is young, hungry, led by vets like these 3 who still have a lot to prove to themselves and the NFL.

It's good see other players besides Manning, Von/Doom and Bailey getting some recognition.

gunns
09-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Leading the league in sacks? A Denver defense? Yikes!

HAT
09-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Leading the league in sacks? A Denver defense? Yikes!

Why is this a surprise.....Oh wait, it only is to you.

errand
09-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Alex Marvez (Foxsports.com, 5) - Peyton Manning wasn't the only key offseason pickup. Ex-New Orleans cornerback Terry Porter showed his worth with an interception return for a touchdown that clinched a 31-19 win over Pittsburgh.

A friend of mine from Dallas said Deion Sanders was talking to "the Fan" radio show and said he was talking with Porter about the Steelers and said "I told him that Ben always throws the ball a little late...and if you watch him, you'll be able to time it and should get one (INT)...."

errand
09-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Dungeons and dragons reference to Manning...guess that makes him the Sheldon Cooper of the offense?

Vegas_Bronco
09-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Dragon master level 99...(schrilling hyena nerd laff)

Rock Chalk
09-11-2012, 08:38 PM
The 5 sacks from 5 players is wrong.

Von Miller got 2 sacks so, we have to have either 6 sacks from 5 players or 5 sacks from 4 players.

MagicHef
09-11-2012, 08:59 PM
The 5 sacks from 5 players is wrong.

Von Miller got 2 sacks so, we have to have either 6 sacks from 5 players or 5 sacks from 4 players.

Von got 2, Wolfe got 1, Harris got 1, and Mays and Woodyard combined for 1, that's why it's 5 from 5 different players.

Rock Chalk
09-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Von got 2, Wolfe got 1, Harris got 1, and Mays and Woodyard combined for 1, that's why it's 5 from 5 different players.

Oh, half sacks. Didnt account for that.

maven
09-11-2012, 09:08 PM
I think Manning proved to everyone he can still play football.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm stoked for the game in the Georgia Dome. Win or lose, gonna be a hell of a game.

Br0nc0Buster
09-11-2012, 09:17 PM
We are on pace for 80 sacks this year
The record is 73
We got this in the bag

ZONA
09-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Honestly if we are something like 7-1 or 6-2 through the first half of the season, I really like our chances and at that point you could begin to talk about a serious deep playoff run and maybe Superbowl. If we're 5-3 or 4-4, even with a tough schedule, I don't know. You want to be the best you got to beat the best. So let's see if we are up for it. This could get real fun, real fast.

maven
09-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Honestly if we are something like 7-1 or 6-2 through the first half of the season, I really like our chances and at that point you could begin to talk about a serious deep playoff run and maybe Superbowl. If we're 5-3 or 4-4, even with a tough schedule, I don't know. You want to be the best you got to beat the best. So let's see if we are up for it. This could get real fun, real fast.

Hey, the Giants slithered in and the rest is history.

:sunshine:

spdirty
09-11-2012, 11:18 PM

I really think that if we can start out 5-3 then we should be able to finish 11-5 or 12-4 and hot. I'll take that. These first 8 games are ****ing brutal.

dictionary
09-12-2012, 10:02 AM
A friend of mine from Dallas said Deion Sanders was talking to "the Fan" radio show and said he was talking with Porter about the Steelers and said "I told him that Ben always throws the ball a little late...and if you watch him, you'll be able to time it and should get one (INT)...."

Deion is almost always talk, but that dude studied the living daylights out of QBs, WRs, and more importantly OCs. He knows his stuff. I truly believe our Defense is going to give opposing teams nightmares.

Leading the league in sacks...yeah...they are just getting started.

Pick Six
09-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Why is this a surprise.....Oh wait, it only is to you.

You aren't surprised? Have you seen the Denver defense, during the last decade? We never even get CLOSE to quarterback pressure. If the Denver defense is leading the NFL in sacks, that is awesome...:strong:

Dedhed
09-12-2012, 10:34 AM
We are on pace for 80 sacks this year
The record is 73
We got this in the bag

Hmm..Getting pressure is a good sign, but you have to temper the pace given that Big Ben the rapist is consistently one of the most sacked QBs in the league.

If we drop Matt Ryan, who's among the best at not getting sacked, 5 times then we can get really excited.

2KBack
09-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Hmm..Getting pressure is a good sign, but you have to temper the pace given that Big Ben the rapist is consistently one of the most sacked QBs in the league.

If we drop Matt Ryan, who's among the best at not getting sacked, 5 times then we can get really excited.

we should have had twice as many sacks though

Br0nc0Buster
09-12-2012, 10:50 AM

I was joking, I do not really think we will break the record for most sacks in a season
I do think we will be one of the top 5 for this year though

The sacks did not tell the whole story
Sacks are awesome, but we led the league in pressures as well with like 22

errand
09-13-2012, 07:00 AM
Broncos CB Tracy Porter named AFC defensive player of week according to my Broncos mobile app.

Garcia Bronco
09-13-2012, 07:32 AM
I watched the game again last night and Porter was badass.

Bronco Rob
09-13-2012, 08:18 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x2Fi6fJNBqQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:thumbs:

Br0nc0Buster
09-13-2012, 08:24 AM
I watched the game again last night and Porter was badass.

I watched it again as well as we could of easily had 4 picks and at least two more sacks
Porter had 2 others that hit him in the hands
And Rahim Moore dropped one as well

Von would of had at least another sack or two if it wasnt for Woodyard being an idiot

Bacchus
09-13-2012, 08:29 AM
I watched it again as well as we could of easily had 4 picks and at least two more sacks
Porter had 2 others that hit him in the hands
And Rahim Moore dropped one as well

Von would of had at least another sack or two if it wasnt for Woodyard being an idiot

yeah, I stated that earlier. Rapistberger was very careless with the football and Denver could have had 2 or 3 more INTS. Hopefully they will come this week!!