PDA

View Full Version : My analysis of the game

fontaine
09-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Always good to talk football!

I'll be looking at the OL specifically.

Offense First drive: Good sound blocking in passing game. Pitt showing different fronts from 3-4, 5-2, to delayed and active blitzes. Ramirez made a great adjustment to a delayed blitz.

Moreno has very poor vision. Good acceleration but ran right into OL instead of looking outside.
Larry Foote sack: Moreno on 3rd and 10 whiffs on his block, allows Manning to get sacked. End of Drive.

Excellent coverage on first punt.

Note: Todd Haley still looks like a douche on the sidelines.

Defense: First DriveMiller/Wolfe disrupt two different run plays resulting for backfield tackles.
Doom got good pressure on 3rd down resulting in punt.

Return: Leonhard doesn’t seem to have any real explosion in his legs. The guy looks a long way away from contributing.

Offense 2nd Drive: Still a conventional offense. Not yet into no-huddle.

Offense immediately tried to divert pressure from up the middle by running outside and quick pass to DT on the right sidelines.
Fumble on next play by Willis, Steelers still running 6 man front. This is why no huddle with Manning is so effective. Not just for mismatches but to stop stupid plays like running the ball against a stacked front expecting run.

Defense: 2nd Drive:
Doom immediately gets held on the next play. Not called of course.
The Steelers were pretty aware of Denver’s pass rush and showed it by consistently passing out of 6/7 man OL fronts.
Didn’t work on this next drive though as Von brushes aside a FB like he wasn’t there and stuffs the run.
Next 3rd down, Doom is doubled but still moves inside only to be held but forces Ben further back and Wolfe shows great short area burst to close in on the sack. See picture below.

fontaine
09-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Here's that last play with a straight angle with the ref directly looking at Wolfe/Doom being held/Big Ben.

Not called though.

ColoradoDarin
09-11-2012, 10:46 AM
I know there was one play where I thought Knowshon missed a block that got Manning sacked, but on the replay it showed 2 blitzers from the left side and Knowshon picked up (and stoned) the inside blitzer, just like he should. Manning is responsible for the free man in that case. Don't know if this is the same play you are talking about.

edit: I see you have this play right below

fontaine
09-11-2012, 10:50 AM
It's the 1st and 10 play below:

Offense: 3rd Drive:
Pinned deep at 2 yard line.
Two McGahee runs out of Jumbo package..
3rd and 6: Good protection, Manning converts with Stockley running a great route. Manning threw the ball before he made the break out of his route. Clady makes a solid block on a DE/DT twist.

1st and 10: Clady completely screws up his protection. Clady doesnít pick up the outside guy, forcing Moreno to do so which leaves one blitzer a free run at Manning for a sack.
2nd and 18: Beadles is late on pulling left, Moreno completely panics when a defender takes an angle at him in the backfield and as usual does nothing.
3rd and 17: Manning seeing a 12th defender running off the field calls an quick snap, refs miss the call and itís a long incompletion as Manning went for it expecting a flag on the D.
End of drive, punt.

TheChamp24
09-11-2012, 10:57 AM
It's the 1st and 10 play below:

Offense: 3rd Drive:

Manning rolled the protection to the right, that is on Manning. Can't fault Clady for going where he is supposed to go.

TheReverend
09-11-2012, 11:02 AM
In on fontaine thread!

fontaine
09-11-2012, 11:07 AM
2nd Quarter - Defense 3rd drive:

Steelers (Miller/Starks) take turns holding Doom, Harris, Doom again and pretty much any jersey they can get their hands on. Vickerson/Brooking come in for most of this drive and do well. Refs continue their blindness. Defense does a great job resricting them to just 3.

fontaine
09-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Manning rolled the protection to the right, that is on Manning. Can't fault Clady for going where he is supposed to go.

Yes, but only partially correct. OL, Tackles are taught that they still have to keep their eyes open to pressure especially if they have no one to block.

Both Beadles/Walton that their guy doubled which left Clady with no one to block at the line so his job was to scan for pressure on the left which he did eventually but it was too late.

fontaine
09-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Offense 4th Drive and start of no huddle.

It's 3rd and 1 and get used to seeing this kind of pass protection. Steelers rush 4 and our 5 man OL does a great job securing their block and Walton is looking effective. Ball comes out in under three seconds for a first down. Here's Walton doing his thing:

Dedhed
09-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Here's that last play with a straight angle with the ref directly looking at Wolfe/Doom being held/Big Ben.

Not called though.

WTF is Mays doing?

Completely whiffing on a jam and ending up out of position and worthless of course.

TheReverend
09-11-2012, 11:24 AM
WTF is Mays doing?

Completely whiffing on a jam and ending up out of position and worthless of course.

Think you're way off the mark here.

Clearly a WR opposite him, which means this definitely is NOT a man coverage situation.

I think the most likely deduction of what he's doing is just shuffling in his passing lane along with Ben's eyes.

fontaine
09-11-2012, 11:26 AM
1st and 10 the next play.

Steelers don't like the no huddle so they send another two man blitz, this time from the right side. 5 rush with 1 DB on the outside blitz.

They're all picked up excellently and Franklin stones his blitzer because Ramirez doesn't need any help blocking his man. Moreno does his part and it's a deep completion to DT on the left sideline. Again ball out in just under 3 seconds.

fontaine
09-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Be back with more in 60.

Dedhed
09-11-2012, 11:28 AM

Clearly a WR opposite him, which means this definitely is NOT a man coverage situation.

I think the most likely deduction of what he's doing is just shuffling in his passing lane along with Ben's eyes.

No chance. He's completely off balance and has his arms fully extended in front of him.

Bacchus
09-11-2012, 11:29 AM
I was going to do my own game analysis but I'll just put mine in here.

1st Quarter
:wave:

2nd Quarter
:strong::strong:

3rd Quarter
:redpunch::redpunch::redpunch:

4th quarter
^5^5^5^5

Any questions?

TheReverend
09-11-2012, 11:31 AM
No chance. He's completely off balance and has his arms fully extended in front of him.

Clearly we have different definitions of "fully extended". Regardless, he's clearly not man up on whoever that is.

Dedhed
09-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Clearly we have different definitions of "fully extended". Regardless, he's clearly not man up on whoever that is.

Being in man coverage has nothing to do with being completely off balance. He has clearly lunged forward in that pic, and to no effect.

bronco militia
09-11-2012, 11:47 AM
WTF is Mays doing?

it looks like mays on any other pass play

:sickortir:sickortir:tearhair::gripe:

TheReverend
09-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Being in man coverage has nothing to do with being completely off balance. He has clearly lunged forward in that pic, and to no effect.

Still disagree... looks like any lateral shuffle to me.

DENVERDUI55
09-11-2012, 12:21 PM

I know it is taboo to question your football knowledge but you are completely wrong here. Clearly #20 is the RB Batch who Mays has in man to man coverage. Mays tries to jam him after he comes out of the backfield and whiffs completely. I know you can never admit a mistake but you are wrong here 100 percent. It's man coverage Pitt expected a blitz which Denver didn't and Batch released once he read no blitz and Mays attempted to jam him.

fontaine
09-11-2012, 12:41 PM
I'm back, same drive (4th).

Still no huddle a couple of plays later and the Steelers front 7 is going full exotic. Looping LBers, moving DL at the snap to try and confuse the protection. This is a great example of the OL picking up the delayed blitz (Clady) and Willis coming from
around the right to chip the blitzer on the left. Giving 18 enough time for the completion.

fontaine
09-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Crucial 3rd and 1 on the 30 yard line, McGahee steers his way to a solid gain and first down from a trap where Beadles pulls to his right for
a good block.

12th play of the drive: 1st goal. Delayed blitz and the Steelers stack the box with 8. Stockley pulls down from his side at the snap and perfectly steers his defender into the mash so that even Moreno can see that cutback and runs it in untouched for a TD.
God I love me some Stokley.

fontaine
09-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Defense 4th Drive started at Pitt's 21 yard line:

1st and 10. Woodyard right at the line of scrimmage reads run and does a pretty good job of holding his ground and making the tackle on redman for a minimal gain.

2nd and 8: Doom explodes off the edge going past Starks and has Ben dead to rights only for Starks to grab his pads. Ref is right there but misses it and coverage is solid so Roth dumps it to the RB who makes Mays whiff (easily) for a 8/9 yard gain.

What's worse than one ref missing a hold? Two refs missing it. Take a look below:

fontaine
09-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Two plays later Doom and Von combine to almost bring down Ben but he does a great job on 2nd down to stumble over Von's tackle to throw it away. Great combined pass rush.

fontaine
09-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Crucial 3rd and 11 coming up.
Ben gets good protection and combines for a long 23 yard pass play. Woodyard/Bailey blow their coverage and Bailey was pissed.

fontaine
09-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Next play Robert Ayers sighting!

He comes in at RDE and does a great job on a twist into the backfield and chasing down the ball carrier who was running to the left.

fontaine
09-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Next play 2nd and 11 at midfield and Woodyward does a great job blocking for the Steelers.

First he comes on up a late blitz, completely whiffs on Ben trying to arm tackle him and in the process blocks out/runs into Von who's closing in on the sack. Ben converts with Antonio Brown on a big pass play.

I was never much of a Woodyard fan.

gyldenlove
09-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Next play 2nd and 11 at midfield and Woodyward does a great job blocking for the Steelers.

First he comes on up a late blitz, completely whiffs on Ben trying to arm tackle him and in the process blocks out/runs into Von who's closing in on the sack. Ben converts with Antonio Brown on a big pass play.

I was never much of a Woodyard fan.

That play really irked me, I would have loved to see Woodyard slow down and try to get in front of Ben with his arms up instead going for the arm tackle like that.

fontaine
09-11-2012, 01:29 PM
A couple of plays later and have I mentioned Doom is being held on every other play.

Well this one wasn't a hold. It was a facemask. Still not called. This penalty would have made it 2nd and 20 something since it wasn't a one second hold but a longer one where he's steering Doom's head.

outdoor_miner
09-11-2012, 01:30 PM
I forgot how many near-sacks Von had. He is going to put up a couple 3 or 4 sack games this year with less mobile qb's and bad o-lines (I think he got 1 of the 2 qualifiers with Pitt).

fontaine
09-11-2012, 01:46 PM
I'm going to stop logging the defense as there's no point. On every 2nd/3rd play there's a hold or a facemask on Von or Doom or both.

I guess Goodell gets his wish with the replacement refs. More points, more offense.

Br0nc0Buster
09-11-2012, 02:10 PM
I was so pissed at Woodyard when he stole that sack from Von

I think Trevathan should get more looks if this is how Woodyard is gonna play

His coverage sucked to
Biting on a double move on a 3rd and 18.....that was pretty cool to

fontaine
09-11-2012, 02:34 PM
4th Quarter:

Broncos Offense finally get their hands on the ball after Pitt dominating the clock. Three very solid run plays gain 23 yards. Very good blocking up front by the OL and some great running by McGahee.

fontaine
09-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Back to the OL.

2nd down play and Manning gets a great pocket with excellent time allowing him to make an intermediate throw for a first to Willis throwing to the far left sideline. That's one of the hardest throws to make and Manning drills it.

Walton and Beadles are manned up one on one and do a great job holding their ground. Walton gets away with a little hold but still great protection.

fontaine
09-11-2012, 02:43 PM
2nd and 10 and the OL again gives great protection. This time for 4 seconds for Manning to throw to the far right sideline this time for a first down.

The previous throw they gave him another great pocket for 5 seconds but Decker dropped the pass.

fontaine
09-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Pitt have to punt on the next drive thanks to some good pressure from our DL.

The no huddle offense starts out with four runs, all at the heart of the Pitt defense churning out two first downs with Ball/Moreno/Willis all eating up clock. The OL was dominating now.

fontaine
09-11-2012, 03:09 PM
That's pretty much from me. The OL looked great apart from one or two plays and got better as the no huddle wore on.

The Steelers gave them everything from 4-3, 5-2, delayed blitzes, looping LBers, twists and the kitchen sink but they handled it.

No doubt Manning helps but there were more 5/6 pass plays where Manning took 4-5 seconds to throw the ball because the OL was buying him time.

Ramirez impressed me. As a journeyman he doesn't do anything outstanding but more importantly he didn't make mistakes. Clady/Franklin looked solid and it's encouraging to see the strides in technique and strength Walton/Beadles have made.

maher_tyler
09-11-2012, 03:18 PM
All i wanna know is....WTF was Mays doing?? Looks like he may have been in a QB spy and whiffed on jamming the WR?? Why else would Mays even be there if he wasn't playing man to man on the WR there?

DENVERDUI55
09-11-2012, 03:22 PM
All i wanna know is....WTF was Mays doing?? Looks like he may have been in a QB spy and whiffed on jamming the WR?? Why else would Mays even be there if he wasn't playing man to man on the WR there?

He was playing man to man on the RB who stayed in to block initally. Once he saw Denver didn't blitz he released and Mays tried to jam him and whiffed badly.

fontaine
09-11-2012, 03:40 PM
He was playing man to man on the RB who stayed in to block initally. Once he saw Denver didn't blitz he released and Mays tried to jam him and whiffed badly.

Just my opinion because I don't know for sure what his primary coverage was but yes he did peddle back to cover the rb after. I think he tried to jam him but missed.

TheReverend
09-25-2012, 10:37 AM

...and which RB is that wearing that number...?

DENVERDUI55
09-25-2012, 12:32 PM
...and which RB is that wearing that number...?

Clearly I've already answered and shut you up on this that it was #20 RB Batch. Only you would so ignorant and arrogant to argue based off a still picture and act like your this great X and O guy. I sure couldn't tell from picture so I watch the DVR of the game and you couldn't any more full of BS. Even with guys telling you your wrong you continue to act like we are stupid and you know it all. The only thing that was "clearly" out of this is you just make stuff up to try and sound like you know what your talking about. Awesome posts get a clue you "poser."

Still disagree... looks like any lateral shuffle to me.

TheReverend
09-25-2012, 12:54 PM
^ maybe you should explore name-changing into "Insecure Panda"

I think it would fit substantially better.

DENVERDUI55
09-25-2012, 06:33 PM
^ maybe you should explore name-changing into "Insecure Panda"

I think it would fit substantially better.

Can't you just admit your a liar and just make crap up as you go? I mean it was "CLEARLY" a WR which you needed to tell us "CLEARLY" several times.

TheReverend
09-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Can't you just admit your a liar and just make crap up as you go? I mean it was "CLEARLY" a WR which you needed to tell us "CLEARLY" several times.

Does the poor wittle baby have a boo-boo?

theAPAOps5
09-25-2012, 08:02 PM
I am not going to lie, sometimes your posts could double as a Mad Lib

Clearly I've already answered and shut you up on this _______ that it was #20 RB Batch. Only you would ______ so ignorant and arrogant to argue based off a still picture and act like your _______ this great X and O guy. I sure couldn't tell from picture so I watch the DVR of the game and you couldn't _______ any more full of BS. Even with guys telling you your wrong you continue to act like we are stupid and you know it all. The only thing that was "clearly" _________ out of this is you just make stuff up to try and sound like you know what your talking about. Awesome posts get a clue you "poser."

TheReverend
09-25-2012, 08:03 PM
I am not going to lie, sometimes your posts could double as an Ad Lib

Mad Libs are far more legible.

theAPAOps5
09-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Mad Libs are far more legible.

Ha you beat me to the edit. Got ahead of my iPhone typing.

fontaine
09-26-2012, 02:42 AM
Getting back to the thread . . . .

After two weeks of very good progress from the OL, it was right back to the kind of problems and bad play that plagued us the last two years.

Everyone's aware of Ramirez struggling but he's just one guy. The rest of the interior wasn't that great either. They started off fine in the 1st Quarter but after that it was all downhill. In the 2nd/3rd quarters Manning spent a lot of time just rolling out of the pocket even before he completed his dropback because he expected the OL to be over run and they were. Either in pass protection/run blocking the OL simply was getting blown off the line. That's not accepteable. I didn't get a chance to rewatch (and probably won't) so I can't say how Clady/Franklin did per play but they couldn't have been that much better.

Gort
09-26-2012, 02:58 AM
Does the poor wittle baby have a boo-boo?

Rev vs. DenverDUI is like this...

http://images.wikia.com/prowrestling/images/e/e2/Austin_vs._McMahon.jpg