PDA

View Full Version : Ugh...

Mogulseeker
09-11-2012, 12:40 AM
Still up at 1:40am figuring out these ****ing derivatives.

WTF am I doing pursuing an MS in Financial Mathematics at Daniels College of Business?

This degree is going to cost $74,000, and I've always been an academic allstar, but now it seems I'm falling behind.

Need encouragement.

UberBroncoMan
09-11-2012, 12:41 AM
Remember your younger days and seize the moment.

...or picture Rev on a lobster.

BowlenBall
09-11-2012, 12:47 AM
It takes money to make money, and you need to make money to make it rain.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/22272019.jpg
http://thisiscorytyler.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/make-it-rain.jpeg

On a more serious note, the reason you're having a crisis of confidence is because it's difficult and you're challenging yourself. Dig deep and work harder, that's what higher education's all about.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-11-2012, 12:59 AM
You might be a mediocre math nerd... you remain an allstar attention whore.

Rother8
09-11-2012, 01:05 AM
Always remember young grasshopper, Josh McDaniels was a math major.

Mogulseeker
09-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Always remember young grasshopper, Josh McDaniels was a math major.

Wow good thing I majored in International Relations and Economics.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-11-2012, 01:08 AM

This is actually a picture of Sally Mae and associates... hard at work counting compounded student loan interest profit.

McDman
09-11-2012, 03:13 AM
Just think, you have a very mediocre paying job and years of paying off loans waiting for you!

Jay3
09-11-2012, 04:03 AM
http://i.imgur.com/N0ZDf.jpg

Garcia Bronco
09-11-2012, 04:35 AM

WTF am I doing pursuing an MS in Financial Mathematics at Daniels College of Business?

This degree is going to cost $74,000, and I've always been an academic allstar, but now it seems I'm falling behind.

Need encouragement.

Just follow the steps on how to do it and practice. You'll get it.

The derivative of X squared is 2x. If you know that and I am sure you do, you can figure out anything.

TheReverend
09-11-2012, 04:38 AM
Dear Diary...

Garcia Bronco
09-11-2012, 04:41 AM

This is actually a picture of Sally Mae and associates... hard at work counting compounded student loan interest profit.

Only on loans they originated which they haven't been able to do since 2008. Now they are only a loan servicer.

errand
09-11-2012, 04:45 AM
Yet another career student.....

"Do not be a borrower, nor a lender thee....do not forget, stay out of debt "

colorado jones
09-11-2012, 05:35 AM

This. Just call Lindsey Vonn's brother and ask him what he would do.

EmpireOrange
09-11-2012, 06:02 AM

Need encouragement.

As someone who works in financial services, I suggest you reroute your degree to either accounting or law. Once you get your first job, get your CFA designation. The way the industry is going now, you'll have a job for life that way. Otherwise get used to layoffs at every blimp in market, or learn to feel up grandmothers to churn thier IRAs for a living.

What kind of derivatives are you having problems with?

orange skier
09-11-2012, 06:23 AM
I suggest you consider a career in white collar crime. Highly lucrative. And remember, no one has gone to jail in the Lehman bankruptcy, proof positive that our system works. Lehman had $613 billion in debt at the time of it's filing. Think how quickly you could pay off that $74K. Possible role model: Jaime Diamond.

Kaylore
09-11-2012, 06:29 AM
Sounds like you need to unwind, girl! Let's go shoe shopping and drink appletinis!

theAPAOps5
09-11-2012, 06:52 AM
ABACADABA

60% of the time, it works all the time

Dr. Broncenstein
09-11-2012, 06:59 AM
ABACADABA

That's magical.

SportinOne
09-11-2012, 07:00 AM
On a more serious note, the reason you're having a crisis of confidence is because it's difficult and you're challenging yourself. Dig deep and work harder, that's what higher education's all about.

This.

Create a positive reinforcement cycle. Tell yourself you can do it, that you just need to work harder, then do it, then see the good results, cycle and repeat. If you should have a rough stretch, know that it's not because you aren't adequate but that you just need to work harder. It's really as simple as that!

broncocalijohn
09-11-2012, 07:02 AM
Take a break and try to go get laid.....try of course.

good luck on both!

tsiguy96
09-11-2012, 07:07 AM
getting a masters sucks, not only did my loans interest skyrocket, i still make less than a lot of entry level bachelor jobs.

Requiem
09-11-2012, 07:18 AM
getting a masters sucks, not only did my loans interest skyrocket, i still make less than a lot of entry level bachelor jobs.

One of the reasons I can't **** or get off the pot on my decision to go to graduate school. School will always be there, but I have been trying to dial down my undergraduate debt as much as I can. Preferably, within the next 12-18 months, all my non-school debt will be paid off and I can strictly focus on school.

It has never been about the money to me, but I don't know if I want to go and get a Master's just to be able to teach. At best, I'd be doing entry-level courses at a school en route to a PhD, but I'm not sure 20k + is going to be worth it if I end up teaching high school civics and social sciences to make less money than I do with a Bachelor's now. Though, I enjoy that sort of environment a lot more.

At any case, MightySmurf -- proud of you for challenging yourself and furthering your schooling. A part of me regrets not going the engineering/computer science route because I was intimidated by mathematics and all that stuff. I did fine in math when I tried, but I never liked putting in the extra effort to get A's. Everything else in the world came easy to me but math. Sucks, cause my pops is a math whiz. Guess I got the stupid math gene. :~ohyah!:

Good luck to you, and EmpireOrange may have been a guiding light for you.

But follow your heart and bliss.

It'll all work out. :D

lolcopter
09-11-2012, 07:50 AM
What are you planning on doing with that masters degree OP?

actuary? CFA? trading?

Just curious. Seems like the actuary exams may be a good idea given the heavy math emphasis.

I've considered grad school myself, but I don't know for sure what I want to do so I made the decision to not take out more student loan debt for the time being. If I wasn't such a naive 18yo coming out of high school I would have picked a more practical undergrad degree like accounting/engineering/compsci, because when it all boils down a liberal arts undergrad is pretty worthless except for the fact that you learn how to learn, if that makes sense. I did look at getting a post-graduate accounting certificate, but after meeting with a counselor and finding out that program would actually take two years, I decided to just get a different job instead.

Either way, hang in there and best of luck in your education. It's a costly endeavor these days, so make the most of it!

crush17
09-11-2012, 08:54 AM
www.livejournal.com

broncosteven
09-11-2012, 09:07 AM
ABACADABA

That would make a great song

A=verse
B=Chorus
C=Bridge
D=Developement

You could swap A & B and consider either or a verse or chorus

So ABACADABA would be:
Verse, Chorus, Verse, Bridge, Verse, Development (Bridge II), Verse, Chorus, Verse fade out... Platinum hit record!

Kaylore
09-11-2012, 09:14 AM
DEATHsicle rides again!

broncosteven
09-11-2012, 09:55 AM
DEATHsicle rides again!

I think a fitting name would be:

The Legend of the Banning of KFCStud (or how I googled Studebaker so as not to look like a fool for having Stud in my userid)

24champ
09-11-2012, 11:51 AM
It has never been about the money to me, but I don't know if I want to go and get a Master's just to be able to teach. At best, I'd be doing entry-level courses at a school en route to a PhD, but I'm not sure 20k + is going to be worth it if I end up teaching high school civics and social sciences to make less money than I do with a Bachelor's now. Though, I enjoy that sort of environment a lot more.

The standards are always going to be rising for teachers. Used to be that bachelor degrees were enough, but now there's certifications, credentials that go along with your degrees, depending on what state you are in. Sometimes the district may pay for a portion of your tuition, sometimes the school you are going to finds grants for you, and its paid for. (I was lucky enough to get a grant to pay for everything.) Some states have a program where they will pay for your tuition, and in return you have to work in an area for x amount of years, where they are struggling to find good teachers. (ie. inner city schools). When looking at schools, always ask them about these questions. The good schools always have an answer and a plan to help you out.

All in all, I'd say you should get your masters, since you have nothing holding you down.

theAPAOps5
09-11-2012, 12:16 PM
I think a fitting name would be:

The Legend of the Banning of KFCStud (or how I googled Studebaker so as not to look like a fool for having Stud in my userid)

Wait he got banned?

Bacchus
09-11-2012, 12:32 PM

Who is the attention whore Dr. Broncenstein?

Miss I.
09-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Wait he got banned?

yeah, go see his quality posts (and by quality I mean, he is a giant douchnozzle) in the what Chiefs fans do in the 4th quarter thread.

Mogulseeker
09-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Just think, you have a very mediocre paying job and years of paying off loans waiting for you!

Prolly no one on this thread anymore... but the MS (or MBA) Finance program has one of the highest starting salaries of any professional degree... over 60k, I think... and the average lifetime salary of someone with the degree is over 150k. The money is nice, and it had to do with my decision, but I'm doing it because I like economics.

broncocalijohn
09-14-2012, 10:18 PM
my wife earns $5k more a year for her teaching salary by having a masters degree in special ed. She nailed it in 9 months so she could get paid right away for the new school year. That has been about $55k since she got it.

DomCasual
09-17-2012, 11:02 AM
my wife earns $5k more a year for her teaching salary by having a masters degree in special ed. She nailed it in 9 months so she could get paid right away for the new school year. That has been about $55k since she got it.

I made more than that the first month in BAZI.

broncocalijohn
09-17-2012, 11:11 AM
I made more than that the first month in BAZI.

Well, you are a phenomenal closer. You take what is given to you and you produce. It could be BAZI one day and then Amway the next. You are the type that can hype the product and make the buyer feel like a winner at the same time. It takes a special salesman to pull that off and sir, you have the tools that most common men cannot fathom. I look to your expertise in the field of multi level marketing and know that anyone and everyone that signs up, they will make millions. I know the guys on the top only take in a small fraction to help those below on the pyramid to get their share of the wealth. It is amazing how a product like BAZI does all of this and still is sold at wholesale price. How can they compete? Well, guys like Domcasual is what makes companies like BAZI successful and they owe it all to the little guy jumping his way up the pyramid to get a taste of that success.

In other words, why is Smurf wasting his time looking at books when there is a special water out there that only the Almighty God would walk on to sell to us mortals.

DomCasual
09-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Well, you are a phenomenal closer. You take what is given to you and you produce. It could be BAZI one day and then Amway the next. You are the type that can hype the product and make the buyer feel like a winner at the same time. It takes a special salesman to pull that off and sir, you have the tools that most common men cannot fathom. I look to your expertise in the field of multi level marketing and know that anyone and everyone that signs up, they will make millions. I know the guys on the top only take in a small fraction to help those below on the pyramid to get their share of the wealth. It is amazing how a product like BAZI does all of this and still is sold at wholesale price. How can they compete? Well, guys like Domcasual is what makes companies like BAZI successful and they owe it all to the little guy jumping his way up the pyramid to get a taste of that success.

In other words, why is Smurf wasting his time looking at books when there is a special water out there that only the Almighty God would walk on to sell to us mortals.

My secret is my realization that people don't care how much I know until they know how much I care.

broncocalijohn
09-17-2012, 11:42 AM
My secret is my realization that people don't care how much I know until they know how much I care.

I will always tell you, you are a giver not a taker.

Mogulseeker
09-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Well, test day... here goes.... woefully unprepared.

Jay3
09-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Well, test day... here goes.... woefully unprepared.

That's the spirit!

Mogulseeker
09-19-2012, 08:51 PM
That's the spirit!

This is why I hate test-taking online:

Mogulseeker
10-18-2012, 10:17 PM
92 (A-) in financial derivatives. Suck it.

Crushaholic
10-18-2012, 11:59 PM

Good job, for someone who claimed they were "woefully unprepared"...Ha!:strong:

Mogulseeker
10-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Good job, for someone who claimed they were "woefully unprepared"...Ha!:strong:

Oh I was... I got a 65 on that test.

But since we could make up half the score by taking the test again, I'm in the high 90's on homework, and I got a 98 on the midterm, my course grade is at a 92, which is a real victory for me because I always sucked at math, which is exactly why I'm getting a Masters in Financial Economics - I really hate it when people tell me I can't do something.

Garcia Bronco
10-22-2012, 02:59 PM

Nice work. Now if they have you do integrals...it's just the opposite.

Mogulseeker
11-21-2012, 09:33 PM
I wont get into integrals... not this year at least. I've seen some in Calc II and they look scary.

What's more frustrating than derivatives?

Giving up on a problem by simply forgetting the quadratic application....

Taking the GMAT on the 27th to apply to the joint MS/PhD in Economics program... please pray/wish me luck. With my GPA and experience in the military (I'm doing my thesis on defense budgeting as it relates to pareto improvements in national security and employment) I have an advantage.

I only need a 680, but that might be tough because I tend to overlook stupid things like reducing quadratics at polynomial expressions... I need all the help I can get.

Requiem
11-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Great work, Smurf. Now go get some celebratory tang.

broncosteven
11-26-2012, 02:35 PM
I wont get into integrals...

You liberal kiddies and your talk of integration are destroying our country with all your video games, weed, and illegal's. I miss the days when Ike was in office, that man fought a war with a separate but equal Army, then those dirty liberal Kennedy's and their Sammy Davis Jr's....oh I could rattle on but Matlock is about to start.

Mogulseeker
11-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Didn't get into the program...

Mogulseeker
02-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Ohhhh yeah

bowtown
03-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Looks like you almost got 100 but then it didn't happen.

Dr. Broncenstein
03-04-2013, 04:38 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YptnI6KRWoM/SvOCHFIYavI/AAAAAAAAArw/kn05dHkp1-Y/s400/math.jpg

broncosteven
03-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Ohhhh yeah

Fixed it for you:

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee74/broncosteven/Mathishard_zps9d4af6fb.png

broncosteven
03-04-2013, 05:45 PM
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee74/broncosteven/Mathgetsharder_zpse628415e.png

If you think this is bad you should see my responses to ink blot tests!

Mogulseeker
06-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Anyone want to help me with multivariate differential equations? I have Calc III materials, and it might be kinda fun going over this stuff if you're a math nerd.

PM me...