PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Sign Dan Koppen (M)

Kid A
09-10-2012, 07:10 PM
https://twitter.com/MaxBroncos/status/245342640961380352

RT @MikeReiss: Former Patriots center Dan Koppen agrees to terms on 1-year deal with Broncos, source says.

cmhargrove
09-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Can he play DT?

Hulamau
09-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Just saw that good OL depth for sure. TY is going to be our last man lost for the season!
We cant afford even a few more losses like that.

And we can least afford to lose any Olinemen. Manning can compensate for many sins from the rest of the team, so long as he is well protected and is given the time like yesterday to destroy any opposing D.

The line has been superb in preseason and yesterday. Getting Kupe back and Koppen up to speed in the next few weeks will be big. Will help to keep the trenches fresh and resilient all season long.

DBroncos4life
09-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Kind of surprising. He was pretty good wasn't he but, hurt some lately? I know Pats named him to their all decade team.

broncosteven
09-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Why do we need Koppen? move him to G? Depth?

I wish we could sift through the trash for some MLB depth or even a DT to replace Warren.

Patriot 37
09-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Smart, good with line calls but definitely has lost something after being injured last year. Didn't have a good training camp gets over power. Might be a better fit with Broncos.

At least he won't snap the ball over Manning's or miss his blocks but his best days are passed.

DBroncos4life
09-10-2012, 07:23 PM

I wish we could sift through the trash for some MLB depth or even a DT to replace Warren.

I read a quote of BB saying that Koppen is the best OL player he coached at getting on the same page as the QB. Maybe things in the no huddle didn't go as smooth as they looked for Manning.

UberBroncoMan
09-10-2012, 07:39 PM
This is rather surprising... perhaps we're cutting one of the scrub backup O-Line peeps?

boppool
09-10-2012, 07:43 PM
The coaching staff must not be too happy with Walton.

Dos Rios
09-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Spot on the PS is open for Blake.

R8R H8R
09-10-2012, 09:53 PM
This is not an indictment on Walton, this is an indictment on CJ Davis (who?). I think it is a smart signing. He was signed strictly for depth, the very thing this board has been screaming about since pre-season.

I think the OL performed pretty well last night considering the more complicated system they are now in. However, I'm not sure anyone trust the guys behind them. Good signing, IMO.

Lestat
09-10-2012, 10:05 PM
we needed more depth on the OL, Blake isn't ready looks to be a G more than a C.
plus it gives Walton a push.

Jetmeck
09-10-2012, 10:17 PM

yes....please

Kaylore
09-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Interesting.

UberBroncoMan
09-10-2012, 10:36 PM
On a side note. Koppen is from BC. Anyone remember Tom Nalen. :)

menonite
09-10-2012, 10:40 PM
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/broncos-agree-with-center-dan-koppen

"The addition of Koppen, who played exclusively at center, can clearly be interpreted as another indictment of the play of third-year center J.D. Walton. To wit, if this transaction were about adding line depth, then a player with experience at multiple positions would seem more likely."

This guy has an interesting point. And, he must be smart cause he said "to wit."

Lestat
09-10-2012, 11:49 PM
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/broncos-agree-with-center-dan-koppen

"The addition of Koppen, who played exclusively at center, can clearly be interpreted as another indictment of the play of third-year center J.D. Walton. To wit, if this transaction were about adding line depth, then a player with experience at multiple positions would seem more likely."

This guy has an interesting point. And, he must be smart cause he said "to wit."

damn, he flat out said what everyone was thinking.

cutthemdown
09-10-2012, 11:54 PM
good teams always look to get better, even if its just at a bkup spot. Build the roster from the bottom up.

fontaine
09-11-2012, 01:27 AM
It's about time. I was calling for us to sign this guy back in spring.

Man-Goblin
09-11-2012, 04:31 AM

An indictment? Hasn't he already been judged and convicted of being most likely to get PM killed?

ward63
09-11-2012, 04:35 AM
Any word on who we got rid of?

BroncoInferno
09-11-2012, 05:38 AM
I don't see why some people are so surprised by this. Our OL depth is horrid.

BMarsh615
09-11-2012, 05:40 AM

I like Manny Ramirez, and Chris Clark isn't too bad as far as backups go IMO.

BroncoInferno
09-11-2012, 05:46 AM
I like Manny Ramirez, and Chris Clark isn't too bad as far as backups go IMO.

Ramirez has been a pleasant surprise so far, but he's starting for the time being.

ND Bronco Fan
09-11-2012, 05:48 AM
Any word on who we got rid of?

Hopefully Hanie again......he could be this seasons Mustard

TonyR
09-11-2012, 05:59 AM

I'm mostly surprised because this seems to imply that Walton didn't play well, and I haven't seen that opinion expressed anywhere. I wonder if PM wasn't happy with his play? Or maybe this is much ado about nothing and it's just a depth signing, but Koppen only plays center. And what does this say about 4th round pick Philip Blake, who may thought would challenge for the starting role?

BroncoInferno
09-11-2012, 06:03 AM
I'm mostly surprised because this seems to imply that Walton didn't play well, and I haven't seen that opinion expressed anywhere.

Could it not just as easily imply that they were unhappy with the options at center should Walton go down? It may say more about where Blake is at this point in his development than anything about Walton. That makes a lot of sense if you think about it....pairing Manning with a rookie center probably is not ideal given the mental acuity a center needs to work with him.

TonyR
09-11-2012, 06:09 AM
Per IAOFM today:

Make no mistake about it: Dan Koppen did not sign with the Broncos because he wants a shot at the playoffs as a backup center. This is not a depth signing. Koppen is here for J.D. Walton's job. Consider the move from Koppen's perspective; if you were him, why would you sign with Denver?

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/happy-birthday-to-us-lard

Kaylore
09-11-2012, 06:11 AM
More competition is always good. I really look forward to Kuper coming back, especially with Man-ram and Beadles playing well, and Koppen at center, it makes our depth look a bit better.

BroncoInferno
09-11-2012, 06:13 AM
Per IAOFM today:

Make no mistake about it: Dan Koppen did not sign with the Broncos because he wants a shot at the playoffs as a backup center. This is not a depth signing. Koppen is here for J.D. Walton's job. Consider the move from Koppen's perspective; if you were him, why would you sign with Denver?

That's their specualtion. Like I said in the previous post, it could just as easily have more to do with a lack of confidence in a rookie center having the mental acuity to play with Manning if needed. Koppen, even if not the same physically as he once was, can step in and have a better chance of getting on the same page with Peyton.

BMarsh615
09-11-2012, 06:15 AM
Per IAOFM today:

I don't buy it. This is a depth signing. Nobody was banging his door down, if they were he would have been signed over a month ago. If Denver was serious about replacing Walton they would have signed Saturday.

TonyR
09-11-2012, 06:44 AM
If Denver was serious about replacing Walton they would have signed Saturday.

Since I don't know for sure what this is all about I'm not going to argue, but to play devil's advocate here they did try to sign Jeff Saturday.

Dendave
09-11-2012, 06:48 AM
Maybe it's to get an edge when we play NE in 4 weeks?

HILife
09-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Can he play DT?

Can he play LB preferable MLB.

BMarsh615
09-11-2012, 07:08 AM
Someone from the Broncos called Mike Evans and said that the Koppen signing was simply a depth move and that JD Walton graded out very well against Pitt.

According to Pro Football Focus, JD Walton had his best game as a pro.

MagicHef
09-11-2012, 07:13 AM
Someone from the Broncos call Mike Evans and said that the Koppen signing was simply a depth move and that JD Walton graded out very well against Pitt.

Not only that, he played better than any of our other OL.

BMarsh615
09-11-2012, 07:20 AM
The Broncos are expected to sign veteran center Dan Koppen today. I have been told his signing is for depth reasons — not to replace anyone in the starting lineup.
In fact, Broncos’ coaches gave center J.D. Walton a high grade in the team’s season-opening 31-19 win Sunday night against Pittsburgh. Walton has started all 35 games, including playoffs, the Broncos have played since the team selected him in the third round of the 2010 draft.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/09/11/jd-walton-expected-remain-starting-center/15612/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

55CrushEm
09-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Someone from the Broncos called Mike Evans and said that the Koppen signing was simply a depth move and that JD Walton graded out very well against Pitt.

This is what I was thinking. Furthermore, Walton and Manning worked on their communication all summer. Wouldn't Manning have to "start over" in terms of getting in sync with a new center (line calls, etc.)?

This signing makes me think that Blake flat out sucks.....and should Walton go down.....we need better backup than Blake.

pricejj
09-11-2012, 07:27 AM
Maybe it's to get an edge when we play NE in 4 weeks?

Elway/Fox: Have a seat Dan.

Koppen: Okay.

Elway/Fox: We would like you to start with the overall Offensive philosophy, the OL play calls, and finally Brady's audibles... speak slowly into the tape recorder, please.

Koppen: Can I get a drink of water first?

Elway/Fox: How about some orange soda?

Koppen: Okay.

Elway/Fox: Good.

broncocalijohn
09-11-2012, 07:35 AM
On a side note. Koppen is from BC. Anyone remember Tom Nalen. :)

Remember him? I mentioned him during the Steelers game that I wish he was still able to play.

pricejj
09-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Elway/Fox: Oh, and Dan, J.D. will be on the practice field for you to show him everything you know about playing Center, after you're done...thanks!

Koppen: Sure boss...(drinks orange soda)

Elway/Fox: McCoy!! Dan needs a refill!!

lonestar
09-11-2012, 08:46 AM
while that site is perhaps the best forum as far as knowledge is concerned there also seems to be a bit of bias towards anything Josh in some of their posts..

this is my response..

I saw nothing to indicate that JD played poorly in the game if anything held his ground against Hampton and his 8000 pounds lard ass frame..

If anything I'd say this is simple a cheap move to make sure we have experienced depth at that spot..

having a couple of rookies behind your starter has to make the OL coaches ah pucker just a bit..

lonestar
09-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Per IAOFM today:

wow not sure where you saw this but I just reread teh lard and did not see it..

perhaps you can shed some light on it?

crush17
09-11-2012, 08:51 AM
I agree that this also helps the Broncos game plan for NE. It is a good signing on several different levels.

DenverBroncosJM
09-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Our entire line played well against Pitt. Unfortunatly for JD because he was pretty bad last year he could the game of his life every week and someone on here will talk about how much he sucked

lonestar
09-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Since I don't know for sure what this is all about I'm not going to argue, but to play devil's advocate here they did try to sign Jeff Saturday.

All that prior to him having a strong showing Sunday nite.
Btw who would not want Saturday who played in front if PM for over a decade. A guy that knows all of his moves before he does.

lonestar
09-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Our entire line played well against Pitt. Unfortunatly for JD because he was pretty bad last year he could the game of his life every week and someone on here will talk about how much he sucked

Yep he was drafted by josh strike one.
His OL coaches sucked till this year. Strike two.
He had zero offseason last year strike 3
New offensive scheme 4

Now he has put on about 15 pounds of muscle. Has been coached now a few weeks by a real coach.

Had a great game against a really good 3-4 team defense.

Why everyone is still pissing and moaning is beyond me.
give him a chance and IF a guy with 10+ years experience on him takes his job down the road that does not mean he is a bust. Just he need more time.

TonyR
09-11-2012, 09:21 AM
wow not sure where you saw this but I just reread teh lard and did not see it..

perhaps you can shed some light on it?

It's right there in black and white. Click the link. Fourth paragraph down (first paragraph under the Broncos heading).

As someone else pointed out, this is opinion/speculation.

oubronco
09-11-2012, 09:28 AM
The Broncos are expected to sign veteran center Dan Koppen today. Koppen, who turns 33 on Wednesday, will be added for depth reasons — not to replace anyone in the starting lineup.

Read more: Broncos reach agreement with veteran center Dan Koppen - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21512091/broncos-sign-veteran-center-dan-koppen#ixzz26BAifQvh) http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21512091/broncos-sign-veteran-center-dan-koppen#ixzz26BAifQvh
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

lonestar
09-11-2012, 09:28 AM
It's right there in black and white. Click the link. Fourth paragraph down (first paragraph under the Broncos heading).

As someone else pointed out, this is opinion/speculation.

Sorry I was looking in the original thread found it later on in the happy. Irthday thread.

You are correct speculation plus a does of
Dislike for anything josh.

ludo21
09-11-2012, 09:32 AM
walton will be the "depth"

Koppen is coming here to start

TheReverend
09-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Didn't see this posted yet

Big time implications toward depth/current OL grouping

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21512091/broncos-sign-veteran-center-dan-koppen

crush17
09-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Didn't see this posted yet

Seriously?

Tombstone RJ
09-11-2012, 12:41 PM
The pats cut Koppen so his ankle might still be a issue.

TheReverend
09-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Oh. Here it is. My bad

TheReverend
09-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Seriously?

lol I SWEAR I checked

Hilarious!

my bad

bronco militia
09-11-2012, 12:48 PM
the rev is the 'Joe Mays' of thread starting...he misses some things

;D

pricejj
09-11-2012, 01:01 PM
walton will be the "depth"

Koppen is coming here to start

Koppen is lucky to be on a team...he's 33 years old and still recovering from a shattered ankle. J.D. looks like he's ready to protect Manning (along with the rest of the OL).

Magazu coached Koppen at BC...he will be valuable as a backup this year, and should be able to teach J.D. some things.

How is Kuper doing?

CEH
09-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Koppen was a last day cut so Denver and other teams will wait till week 2 to sign him so not to guarentee his full year salary. He'll replace CJ Davis

cutthemdown
09-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Look harder

Kaylore
09-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Yeah this is an indictment of Davis, who I watched in camp and was total garbage. The dude got annihilated. It must have been so bad the scout team wasn't presenting realistically because the center was so horrid.

TheReverend
09-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Yeah this is an indictment of Davis, who I watched in camp and was total garbage. The dude got annihilated. It must have been so bad the scout team wasn't presenting realistically because the center was so horrid.

Clearly Davis was so bad the scout team exploded into smithereens

pricejj
09-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Now all we have to do is replace the hot garbage at the DT position.

Someone please tape Vickerson's ears shut so he doesn't jump offsides anymore...gracias.

DBroncos4life
09-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Now all we have to do is replace the hot garbage at the DT position.

Someone please tape Vickerson's ears shut so he doesn't jump offsides anymore...gracias.

I was pissed when Denver cut Kenny Walker. Dude was money at jumpig the snap count.

pricejj
09-11-2012, 02:34 PM
I was pissed when Denver cut Kenny Walker. Dude was money at jumpig the snap count.

LOL. The deaf dude?

DBroncos4life
09-11-2012, 02:39 PM
LOL. The deaf dude?

Yeah he was a Husker too, so there was that.:)

pricejj
09-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Only the 2nd Deaf player in NFL history...great inspiration. :sunshine:

fontaine
09-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Koppen is NOT here because of Walton. Walton had one of his best games as a pro and I was really impressed and I was fully expecting him to suck again this year.

BroncoLifer
09-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Why do we need Koppen?

Well Prater didn't really get any competition during camp, so..........

oubronco
09-11-2012, 03:18 PM
The Broncos have made official several roster moves we saw coming.

Defensive tackle Ty Warren, who re-tore his right triceps on Sunday, has been placed on injured reserve. This is his third consecutive season on IR.

The Broncos have signed veteran free agent center Dan Koppen to add depth on the offensive line and push young starter J.D. Walton, and the team has re-signed backup quarterback Caleb Hanie, who was released Saturday in a cost-saving move.
To make room for Koppen, the Broncos waived reserve center C.J. Davis.

bronco militia
09-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Clearly Davis was so bad the scout team exploded into smithereens

:giggle:

Dendave
10-02-2012, 09:39 AM
I love rereading posts about players that we pick up, now that we need them

dictionary
10-02-2012, 11:26 AM
I love rereading posts about players that we pick up, now that we need them

Are you inferring that a zeitgeist exists on the OM?!?

menonite
10-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Are you inferring that a zeitgeist exists on the OM?!?

"This thread is clean."

http://i.imgur.com/q4nvp.jpg

fontaine
10-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Koppen was a maching out there.

Just great, clean blocking. Knew who to block and when, great leverage and lateral movement and stoned people in the 2nd level.

In the second half in one single drive his blocking results in big plays from DT/McGahee.

Chris
10-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Koppen was a maching out there.

Just great, clean blocking. Knew who to block and when, great leverage and lateral movement and stoned people in the 2nd level.

In the second half in one single drive his blocking results in big plays from DT/McGahee.

Did you see Walton prior to the injury? How did the two compare in the game?

fontaine
10-04-2012, 01:32 AM
Did you see Walton prior to the injury? How did the two compare in the game?

Walton has played well overall.

In the first half he only had two negative plays. What's clear is that he's not missing assignments and getting confused when the DL shifts/stunts/twists. This was his biggest weakness all of last year.

He plays stronger and doesn't get pushed back into the pocket like he used to.

But the difference between him and Koppen was pretty clear. Koppen just played very intelligently, with excellent violence in his hands, always engaging his blockers using great leverage. For example he didn't just take on a DL and try to overpower him, but instead would use the defenders momentum to leverage him out to clear a running lane.

He got to the 2nd level in a hurry and was actively looking to guys to block.

ozomulsion
10-04-2012, 09:48 AM
I wonder if Koppen will be able to give us any awesome information about the Pats, like Harris supposedly did to allow the Texans D to own us. If the theory about Harris is true, we should have no problem with knowing almost every play the Pats are gonna run before they run it.

DENVERDUI55
10-04-2012, 11:25 AM
I wonder if Koppen will be able to give us any awesome information about the Pats, like Harris supposedly did to allow the Texans D to own us. If the theory about Harris is true, we should have no problem with knowing almost every play the Pats are gonna run before they run it.

What a BS excuse to why we were beat by Houston. Maybe we knew exactly what Houston was going to run but it doesn't matter when you can't block a guy like JJ Watt. I noticed you got off your soapbox about "realist fans" and guys that were right about the guy you got a fathead of Moreno.

bronco militia
10-04-2012, 11:34 AM
LOL

(NEED SARCASM SMILIE)

ozomulsion
10-04-2012, 11:55 AM
What a BS excuse to why we were beat by Houston. Maybe we knew exactly what Houston was going to run but it doesn't matter when you can't block a guy like JJ Watt. I noticed you got off your soapbox about "realist fans" and guys that were right about the guy you got a fathead of Moreno.

Try reading comprehension. It was tongue and check to what many were saying about why Houston owned us, but you want to hate me so bad you just didn't get it. If I don't read your response and respond to what I don't read. Feel free to leave me another REP like your last one "You didn't respond but that is what I expect from someone that is spineless like you." Very classy

P.S. I'm glad Hillman is getting his shot, and I still don't believe Knowshon should be cut, or is worse than Lance Ball. KM is a average RB and above average Receiver. This makes me spinless. ok It's too bad we didn't start throwing the ball to our RBs until he became inactive. I'm fine with everything that going on. All the best to you, and I hope you one day are able to remove the hatred running though your veins.