PDA

View Full Version : Troy P Jujitsu move on DT's arm

cutthemdown
09-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Obviously Steelers getting upset DT straight arms them. Troy P did some sort of martial arts/tackle move that was clearly designed to try and hurt DT.

Man those Steelers really hate us.

An offensive player takes a risk sticking arm out like that but what did you all think of that play? Is it a cheap shot? Is Troy P a dirty player?

lonestar
09-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Obviously Steelers getting upset DT straight arms them. Troy P did some sort of martial arts/tackle move that was clearly designed to try and hurt DT.

An offensive player takes a risk sticking arm out like that but what did you all think of that play? Is it a cheap shot? Is Troy P a dirty player?

YES

lolcopter
Thread is useless without pics

DENVERDUI55
I saw that and it really could of hurt DT. Thankfully it didn't. That should of been a flag for sure although I'm not sure what you would call it. It was like ROMO on sharpe when he played for Oakland.

brncs_fan
09-10-2012, 10:55 AM
It was eerily reminiscent of the Romanowski/Sharpe tackle. I was waiting for Troy to suplex him next.

Pick Six
09-10-2012, 10:55 AM
He was clearly frustrated. A frustrated player will do things that they don't normally do. I was glad to see that Thomas was OK, after that takedown...

cutthemdown
09-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Thread is useless without pics

I'm not that internet savvy. :)

JLesSPE
09-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Ultimately the job of the defender is to get the ball carrier to the ground. Thomas throws a wicked stiff arm and that's all T.P. had to work with. It was either use the arm bar and take him down or get posterized as Thomas runs for another long TD. That being said, I was definitely concerned as it happened.

cutthemdown
09-10-2012, 10:58 AM
I saw that and it really could of hurt DT. Thankfully it didn't. That should of been a flag for sure although I'm not sure what you would call it. It was like ROMO on sharpe when he played for Oakland.

There was a safety in Minny named Joey Browner who back in the day would do stuff like that. But he was considered a dirty player IMO. With the league trying to protect players IMO what Troy P did should probably be a penalty. But I don't think it is unless a ref can just throw a flag for any play he things in unneccessary roughness?

cutthemdown
09-10-2012, 10:59 AM
But.....IMO after the play, after the bruce lee move, he then flung the arm in frustration. That should have been a penalty for taunting right there. Props to DT for just laughing it off.

Traveler
09-10-2012, 11:00 AM

I saw it too and also noticed after the play DT got up visibly upset while holding his arm. I thought for sure he was injured and wouldn't return to the game.

bfoflcommish
09-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Ultimately the job of the defender is to get the ball carrier to the ground. Thomas throws a wicked stiff arm and that's all T.P. had to work with. It was either use the arm bar and take him down or get posterized as Thomas runs for another long TD. That being said, I was definitely concerned as it happened.

THIS!

If shoe was on other foot we would want champ/porter/etc to get wallace down by any means legal. There is nothing illegal about it. cheap and dirty maybe, but nothing flag worthy I didnt think

Kaylore
09-10-2012, 11:03 AM
He was clearly frustrated. A frustrated player will do things that they don't normally do. I was glad to see that Thomas was OK, after that takedown...

This exactly. That was exacerbation - both for having to play out of position because his teammate's blood cells look like lucky charms, and because whenever he walked to the line Manning would audible to something that would either mildly hurt them, like the passes to the tight ends, or utterly destroy them, like the screen to DT.

The hi-jinx were at their best on the goal line when Manning and him were playing red-light-green-light and Manning took a time out; The audience stood and applauded.

bronco militia
09-10-2012, 11:04 AM
good god...it's a war out there, ladies

JLesSPE
09-10-2012, 11:05 AM
THIS!

If shoe was on other foot we would want champ/porter/etc to get wallace down by any means legal. There is nothing illegal about it. cheap and dirty maybe, but nothing flag worthy I didnt think

If any part of it warranted the flag it was the frustrated fling after he was down, at least that's how I viewed it.

lonestar
09-10-2012, 11:05 AM
This exactly. That was exacerbation - both for having to play out of position because his teammate's blood cells look like lucky charms, and because whenever he walked to the line Manning would audible to something that would either mildly hurt them, like the passes to the tight ends, or utterly destroy them, like the screen to DT.

The hi-jinx were at their best on the goal line when Manning and him were playing red-light-green-light and Manning took a time out; The audience stood and applauded.

the maestro makes the music..

cutthemdown
09-10-2012, 11:06 AM
THIS!

I disagree on one point. DT was down, the play over, but Troy P gave the arm an extra flick as he finsish up. That actually did start being a penalty they fine it under taunting.

cutthemdown
09-10-2012, 11:10 AM
good god...it's a war out there, ladies

I don't mind dirty. Romo one of my all time favorite Broncos. I just want the media to come out and say Troy P as dirty as any player in the league. I think Harrison gets all the bad press, but Troy P is like John Lynch. He is so cool to everyone they assume he isn't trying to injure offensive players.

Newsflash! These defenders live for injuring the other team.

IMO Troy P goes after knees on a regular basis.

lookin' glass
09-10-2012, 11:10 AM
THIS!

"If they send one of yours to the hospital you send one of theirs to the morgue....."

Rocket 7
09-10-2012, 11:11 AM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/dipsomaniac1/thomas.png

cutthemdown
09-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Also DT has some to learn yet. After you get defenders thinking about straight arm you trick them. Stick the arm out, as soon as you see them reach to fight the straight arm, you pull it back ala Rod Smith, put your helmet down, and deliver a blow right into their midsection.

The defender can't position his body low enough to also defense the straight arm. Once they are over committing to engaging you upright, trying to grab your straight arm, the offensive player should just try and run them over.

Remember when Sharpe was young. Just before he started to really dominate? He also had to learn stuff like that.

bfoflcommish
09-10-2012, 11:14 AM
If any part of it warranted the flag it was the frustrated fling after he was down, at least that's how I viewed it.

I disagree on one point. DT was down, the play over, but Troy P gave the arm an extra flick as he finsish up. That actually did start being a penalty they fine it under taunting.

I agree about the end, but cutt, your question was dirty/cheap move...and going by book the inital takedown was legal....like I said I agree about end though

bronco militia
09-10-2012, 11:15 AM
I don't mind dirty. Romo one of my all time favorite Broncos. I just want the media to come out and say Troy P as dirty as any player in the league. I think Harrison gets all the bad press, but Troy P is like John Lynch. He is so cool to everyone they assume he isn't trying to injure offensive players.

Newsflash! These defenders live for injuring the other team.

IMO Troy P goes after knees on a regular basis.

I thought it was great move.

If you really care about player safety, then ban the stiff arm. It's a legal blow to the head to defenders.

loborugger
09-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Really?

It was an unorthodox tackle, no doubt. But DT stuck his arm out there and he got tackled by his arm.

Rocket 7
09-10-2012, 11:16 AM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e364/dipsomaniac1/thomas1-1.png

lolcopter
09-10-2012, 11:16 AM

Damn, what a dirtbag

cutthemdown
09-10-2012, 11:26 AM
I agree about the end, but cutt, your question was dirty/cheap move...and going by book the inital takedown was legal....like I said I agree about end though

I believe its both legal, and dirty. But I never said I don't love dirty.

Once he held the arm, and did the body flip it was dirty. Most defenders just get a hold of the arm and drag you down.

Troy P did like a somersault lol. CMon that was dirty.

cutthemdown
09-10-2012, 11:28 AM
I thought it was great move.

If you really care about player safety, then ban the stiff arm. It's a legal blow to the head to defenders.

What about I don't care I love dirty don't you understand?

TheChamp24
09-10-2012, 11:31 AM
I remember watching the replay, and saying to my brother "How the heck is his arm not broken after that?"

Legal tackle, yeah, but completely dirty.

Tombstone RJ
09-10-2012, 11:38 AM
looked like Troy wanted to break his arm, and as others have said, I'm suprised he didn't break DT's arm.

Beantown Bronco
09-10-2012, 11:41 AM
looked like Troy wanted to break his arm, and as others have said, I'm suprised he didn't break DT's arm.

Rumor has it Ty Warren's arm broke just from watching that play.

sisterhellfyre
09-10-2012, 11:46 AM
I remember watching the replay, and saying to my brother "How the heck is his arm not broken after that?"

DT did the right thing by going with the flip and rollover with Troy's arm-bar tackle. There's a good chance that at the very least DT's elbow would have been dislocated if he'd done anything else.

pricejj
09-10-2012, 01:06 PM
If it was a mortal human, they would still be in the ICU. Freak athlete Demaryius Thomas does a front flip a split second after Polamalu attempts the front arm-bar flip...landing perfectly safe.

Polamalu also got mega-burned on the jail-break screen pass. He was getting burned all day long, while crowding the line of scrimmage (which is where he is effective).

Late in the game, from Peyton Manning's perspective, all you see is a short dude with big hair, standing about 20 yards off the LOS.

Taco John
09-10-2012, 01:10 PM

This was one of my favorite moments I've ever seen in football. Watching the mind games going on, and how Manning handled everything so flawlessly was so immensely satisfying. It's so awesome to have a HOF calibre quarterback playing for us again.

hambone13
09-10-2012, 01:15 PM
DT did the right thing by going with the flip and rollover with Troy's arm-bar tackle. There's a good chance that at the very least DT's elbow would have been dislocated if he'd done anything else.

I agree, he did a great job with that roll but the way Polu-dirtbag finished the tackle with the twist and throwing his arm down was just flat out dirty. I understand that he was frustrated but that was just classless and borderline unsportsmanlike.

Tombstone RJ
09-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Rumor has it Ty Warren's arm broke just from watching that play.

doh!

Drunk Monkey
09-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Good stiff arm, better tackle. Not understanding the butt hurt on this one. I guess he could have used that soft voice of his to politely ask DT to surrender his attempt at forward ball movement and lower himself to the turf to render the play dead.

cutthemdown
09-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Good stiff arm, better tackle. Not understanding the butt hurt on this one. I guess he could have used that soft voice of his to politely ask DT to surrender his attempt at forward ball movement and lower himself to the turf to render the play dead.

No we aren't but hurt. We aren't asking for a flag on anything but maybe the extra sauce he game at the end. Tackle was over he taunted by flinging the arm. They want to call that to avoid fights.

But that wasn't the best way to get him down. In fact trying what he did would get most safeties burnt for another 5 yrds.

The point is a HOF safety is so pissed he makes big plays on him that he tried his coveted arm bar reverse somersault elbow dislocater move this early in the season.

IMO DT has arrived. He's one of the top 5 big play WR threats in the NFL.

When you piss off the best defense in the league 2 games in a row and make their best player look frustrated and unable to cope with you, its a good thing.

Not crying though. I was pointing it out because I saw that tackle attempt for what it was. A desperate move by a really athletic freak type safety that knows he doesn't match up with a younger player. Its a wake up call for the older Steelers defense and a sign our WR's can really do damage from anywhere on any down.

cutthemdown
09-10-2012, 02:18 PM
I dont think too many safetys could even flip over like that lol.

Goobzilla
09-10-2012, 02:20 PM
I noticed a lot more gray in Troy-Boy's girlish locks last night.

Drunk Monkey
09-10-2012, 03:14 PM
No we aren't but hurt. We aren't asking for a flag on anything but maybe the extra sauce he game at the end. Tackle was over he taunted by flinging the arm. They want to call that to avoid fights.

But that wasn't the best way to get him down. In fact trying what he did would get most safeties burnt for another 5 yrds.

The point is a HOF safety is so pissed he makes big plays on him that he tried his coveted arm bar reverse somersault elbow dislocater move this early in the season.

IMO DT has arrived. He's one of the top 5 big play WR threats in the NFL.

When you piss off the best defense in the league 2 games in a row and make their best player look frustrated and unable to cope with you, its a good thing.

Not crying though. I was pointing it out because I saw that tackle attempt for what it was. A desperate move by a really athletic freak type safety that knows he doesn't match up with a younger player. Its a wake up call for the older Steelers defense and a sign our WR's can really do damage from anywhere on any down.

The whole point of a stiff arm is to keep the other player away from you body so he can't tackle you. DT did it so well that TP's only option was to use the 1 part of the body he could get a hold of (his arm) and bring him down with that. The tackle was legal and well executed considering the position DT put him in. The end could have been a ticky tack personal foul but it wasn't a clear cut stomp on his face type of foul. I am fine with the no call.

Steve Prefontaine
09-10-2012, 03:25 PM
It wasn't tackling him by the arm that was dirty. It was Troy popping up and wrenching DT's arm that pissed me off.

SoCalBronco
09-10-2012, 03:58 PM
I was disappointed none of our guys punched him in the dick under the pile. He easily could have broken DT's arm and that would have been a disaster of biblical proportions.

ZONA
09-10-2012, 04:28 PM
It was a totally lagit play for Polamalu to tackle him by his arm. And I don't think Troy is a dirty player at all. But he clearly held onto the arm after DT was down, twisted it, still held onto it as he was getting up and then flung it. FU Troy on that one son. That was a fine play up until a certain point, then it got dirty and he ****in knows it.

HILife
09-10-2012, 04:55 PM

You took a pic of the video?? Why didn't you just post the video?

bpc
09-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Troy P is dirty as ****. The new Romo.

Captain 'Dre
09-10-2012, 05:44 PM

DT didn't seem upset, which is the major cue I attend to.

Captain 'Dre
09-10-2012, 05:47 PM
There was a safety in Minny named Joey Browner who back in the day would do stuff like that. But he was considered a dirty player IMO. With the league trying to protect players IMO what Troy P did should probably be a penalty. But I don't think it is unless a ref can just throw a flag for any play he things in unneccessary roughness?

Yes, I think it would require a rule change in order to penalize a player for what Troy did.

But the league can't very well say "If a guy stiff arms you, you're out of luck. Nothing you can do about it."

Captain 'Dre
09-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Also DT has some to learn yet. After you get defenders thinking about straight arm you trick them. Stick the arm out, as soon as you see them reach to fight the straight arm, you pull it back ala Rod Smith, put your helmet down, and deliver a blow right into their midsection.

The defender can't position his body low enough to also defense the straight arm. Once they are over committing to engaging you upright, trying to grab your straight arm, the offensive player should just try and run them over.

Remember when Sharpe was young. Just before he started to really dominate? He also had to learn stuff like that.

^^ This.

hambone13
09-10-2012, 05:59 PM
The whole point of a stiff arm is to keep the other player away from you body so he can't tackle you. DT did it so well that TP's only option was to use the 1 part of the body he could get a hold of (his arm) and bring him down with that. The tackle was legal and well executed considering the position DT put him in. The end could have been a ticky tack personal foul but it wasn't a clear cut stomp on his face type of foul. I am fine with the no call.

Would you have been fine with it if he dislocated his elbow or shoulder? Even if the dislocation occurred during the tackle, throwing and twisting that arm would have aggravated it for sure.....

TheChamp24
09-10-2012, 06:59 PM
To the people who think that we think Troy should've been called for a penalty, you are wrong. The play was "legal", but its just something that shouldn't be told to do. The intention is NOT to HURT a player, and Troy was very deliberate with that notion there trying to hurt Thomas' arm. Clear as day. Its like Romo dislocating Sharpe's shoulder years back, technically "legal" but just something you don't fricken do.

Lestat
09-10-2012, 07:05 PM
DT has a lot to learn, you have to keep yourself protected at all times.
that was a dick move by Troy P but he's an all out or nothing player so nothing he does is unexpected.

Agamemnon
09-10-2012, 07:12 PM
DT has a lot to learn, you have to keep yourself protected at all times.
that was a dick move by Troy P but he's an all out or nothing player so nothing he does is unexpected.

The main thing I think he needs to learn is that Polamalu is not your typical DB you can overpower with a stiff-arm. I mean let's be honest, running backs and powerful receivers like DT love stiff-arming those defensive backs that are so much smaller and weaker than them, but Troy Polamalu is simply not in that category.

Ratboy
09-10-2012, 07:15 PM
To the people who think that we think Troy should've been called for a penalty, you are wrong. The play was "legal", but its just something that shouldn't be told to do. The intention is NOT to HURT a player, and Troy was very deliberate with that notion there trying to hurt Thomas' arm. Clear as day. Its like Romo dislocating Sharpe's shoulder years back, technically "legal" but just something you don't fricken do.

The tackle was legal, but what should have been flagged was when he kept twisting his arm when he was standing up.

Drunk Monkey
09-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Would you have been fine with it if he dislocated his elbow or shoulder? Even if the dislocation occurred during the tackle, throwing and twisting that arm would have aggravated it for sure.....

That would have sucked a big one. Having said that you really need to be aware of the situation. There is a reason more people don't use the stiff arm to that extent. You are sticking out an apendage begging the defender to use it to take you to the ground. That can go bad real quick. Someone post the actual video and I will revaluate my comments on the post play tomfullery. From what I saw yesterday the tackle was something I would like to see from our secondary .

Punisher
09-10-2012, 08:04 PM
I was looking for the flag the whole time the refs let alot of things slide last night

Boltjolt
09-10-2012, 08:09 PM

Agree, ...i didnt see anything wrong with it but was impressed by the move. If you stick your arm out there it is fair game to grab it to make the tackle just like Troys hair was used to tackle him on a INT a few years ago.

broncosteven
09-10-2012, 08:36 PM

Yep Polumalu(sp?) was a non factor in all phases of the game last night.

hambone13
09-10-2012, 08:38 PM
That would have sucked a big one. Having said that you really need to be aware of the situation. There is a reason more people don't use the stiff arm to that extent. You are sticking out an apendage begging the defender to use it to take you to the ground. That can go bad real quick. Someone post the actual video and I will revaluate my comments on the post play tomfullery. From what I saw yesterday the tackle was something I would like to see from our secondary .

I'm aware of the situation. I trained Marines to do similar things to people stupid enough to touch them during an aggressive encounter. I recorded the game so I've watched it again (a couple of times). TP was definitely border-line with the way he finished it. He executed that move like he trains for it. He had no valid reason (other than frustration) to finish the play, post-tackle the way he did. It couldn't have been more obvious that DT was down (laying on his back after both of 'em did a 180. It was dickish for sure. Easily as petulant as spiking the ball on a non-TD play. He "swept the shoulder" after the play was over.

cutthemdown
09-10-2012, 10:35 PM

Well not really. Thats not the proper technique a coach would teach to tackle. In fact coming in upright, trying to grab the arm, or grab player and fling him to the ground is not good tackling. The proper technique would be to go low, into the legs, wrap and roll.

Not sure the grab the arm, put it in an arm bar, then do a somersault is really something you want your dbacks trying to do.