PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Game 1

SoCalBronco
09-09-2012, 09:59 PM
1. Manning is a monster. Good to see him spread the ball around to everyone really, especially to DT. I loved seeing the chess match between him and Troy "I'm a dirty POS, but seem like a nice guy cause I make Head N Shoulders commercials" Polamalu. It's all in his head. He's as smart as any QB I've ever seen. There were tons of checks and virtually all of them were the right one, especially that pick play that resulted in the Tamme TD. Not sure how many TD's he will have, but I wouldn't be shocked if he hit 70% compleetion percentage, which I think has only been done maybe 3 times (89, 94 and once more).

2. Run Game was ok. A little weird seeing Ball getting carries in crucial drives, but both WMac and Moreno contributed. Moreno had that nice cutback on teh goalline. Mac is just consistent and still possesses good vision and power. Hopefully Hillman gets up to speed soon so he can add some HR capability.

3. Love the no-huddle. It is a HUGE weapon at home. Between that and the altitude, we'll give teams alot of trouble, especially teams that are not well conditioned. He can run the whole thing from the gun. As I've said before, its not about formations so much as is being able to use everything from any of the few sets we use.

4. Pass coverage is garbage with LBs and S's. I actually think Adams played well, for a journeyman, he brought it as best he could. Moore is more active than last year (obviously) but still makes really untimely mental errors. He's at least getting in the plays now even if he's an instant away from making a big play instead of making the actual play. LBs will continue to be exposed in pass game. They can't cover backs or TE's at all. And its all or nothing with Mays in the run game. WW did well vs. the run, had serious issues vs. pass.

5. Champ and Porter are prolly best CB combo in a long, long time for us. Porter KNOWS he is going to get targetted and still makes plays. He can cover speed guys downfield and also is a good pattern reader.

6. I'm concerned about Doom. Miller was HELD the whole ****ing night by Heath Miller and others. He should have had prolly 4-5 sacks if it wasnt for stupid officiating and Ben being tough to get tackle, but what about Doom? He was playing 1 on 1 alot because they were doubling Miller and he wasnt doing a ton. Gotta love the Methwolfe. He was playing both DE and DT and was great on twists and stunts. Also good in run pursuit. I don't want to know what happened to Warren, I'm sick of his ****.

7. The team obviously thought this was the 05 AFCCG on 3rd and long. Ugh. Will need to blitz to correct this problem unless Doom can start bringing it from the other end.

Great play in the clutch and great win vs. good team.

Lestat
09-09-2012, 10:02 PM
5. there is no probably, it's a definite.

there are issues as a whole but the team showed a lot of fight and won a tough game.

maven
09-09-2012, 10:03 PM
My thoughts?

http://cjzero.com/gifs/VonMillerDance.gif

broncogary
09-09-2012, 10:03 PM
Were these random thoughts?

Garcia Bronco
09-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Stop call

Turd_Ferguson
09-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Doom didn't really perform up to his level tonight... Hope it was a fluke game for him.

Linebacking core is terrible. They will be a handicap against new england with their tight ends.

Secondary and D line looked better than they have in years..

Elway and the FO deserve tons of credit for the changes they have made this offseason...

This team will only get BETTER. The longer the coaching staff has to work with the Manning offense the better it will get.

And lastly I think this team around Manning is as good or better than any he had in Indy.

theAPAOps5
09-09-2012, 10:05 PM
3rd and long was converted over and over because our LBs are trash in coverage. They made the stops they needed, but it was getting frustrating.

So many holds we're missed too. Pitt owes miller dinner after that violation all game.

tsiguy96
09-09-2012, 10:05 PM
biggest thing i noticed was doom...seemed invisible?

McDman
09-09-2012, 10:06 PM
I thought the pass D would be strong and the run D weak, apparently I was wrong on both account.

Our pass rush was stonewalled by a back up offensive line. It is worrisome.

Bob's your Information Minister
09-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Denver's defense is way better than anyone expected.

Von Miller + Peyton Manning is gonna win a lot of football games.

I expect you guys to beat us by 14+ in both games.

crush17
09-09-2012, 10:07 PM
can't get off the field on 3rd down. not good.

yerner
09-09-2012, 10:09 PM
i think they missed dj williams in coverage. putting him on this defense is an instant upgrade no matter what people say. also, the speed the steelers have on the field is pretty astounding. any linebackers will have their fair share of trouble trying to cover those guys.

Bob's your Information Minister
09-09-2012, 10:10 PM

It's Ben Roethlisberger, it happens.

Cosmo
09-09-2012, 10:10 PM
If you noticed, the coverage problems were Mays almost every time. They may love the guy, but his coverage has not improved at all.

Fedaykin
09-09-2012, 10:12 PM
I think we're going to all have some PTSD over the complete inability to get off the damn field on 3rd and long.

That said, PFM is.... PFM

Agamemnon
It isn't the first time Dumervil has been shutdown and won't be the last. He either destroys a Tackle or they stop him cold. It's pretty much always been that way.

Rother8
I'm definitely reading into this. But- Manning's talking about establishing an identity and getting into a rhythm during the no huddle. And he doesn't comment about much else in-game. He wants Fox to know this is his offense. No huddle, baby!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Roeth is ****ing hall of fame on third down. Every time we play him. I've never seen anybody keep plays alive for THAT long... and managing to turn them into something.

No idea what happened to Doom. Unimpressed.

Von is ****ing awesome.

And peyton is the goddamn man.

SoCalBronco
09-09-2012, 10:14 PM
LOL....this day just keeps getting better. Over on Chiefsplanet, not only are they basically conceding the AFCW to Denver, alot of them are calling Romeo "Carl Winslow" now. Hilarity.

TheReverend
09-09-2012, 10:15 PM
We've needed a guy like Porter for a long, LONG time.

Really need to focus on LB next off-season though. We're short TWO that can cover appropriately.

Broncobiv
This team will only go as far as the defense will take it, because the D is the weakest link holding the team back.

gyldenlove
I told you in the doom thread that he would get double teamed, he saw a lot of double teams in passing situations tonight - he will adjust to that, I think his mandate right now is to attack the OT head on so he is relevant in running downs.

Woodyard and Mays have no game in pass coverage, I think a pass covering LB is our biggest need right now.

Agamemnon
09-09-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm definitely reading into this. But- Manning's talking about establishing an identity and getting into a rhythm during the no huddle. And he doesn't comment about much else in-game. He wants Fox to know this is his offense. No huddle, baby!

I'm pretty sure they've been planning on running no huddle since they signed him...

Dr. Broncenstein
09-09-2012, 10:21 PM
We need to get Malik Jackson and Quinton Carter on the field.

We need to get immediately on the los and use the entire playclock. Manning just killed us for a decade doing exactly that.

NFLBRONCO
09-09-2012, 10:22 PM
I agree on 2,4,6 SoCal.

We are screwed if Doom and Miller are non factors week in week out. Run D was great but, let's see it against Charles McFadden types before we rejoice.

spdirty
09-09-2012, 10:24 PM

Fox told him this would be his offense when we were recruiting him to come here.

McDman
09-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Any word on Warren?

maher_tyler
09-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Need to get off the field on third down. Gotta give Pitt some credit, they have a lot of talent and a lot of speed on the offensive side of the ball. Im not to worried about the pass rush as i think our main focus was shutting down their run game. I think if we can get up on teams, the pass rush that ended the game is what we will see.

MrPeepers
09-09-2012, 10:35 PM
rahim moore got screwed on helmet to helmet call, he dipped low before the hit and the receiver dipped after the catch, was incidental.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-09-2012, 10:38 PM
For all the D hate (and they werent great), they still only gave up 19 pts to a pretty game Big Ben tonight.

Popps
09-09-2012, 10:42 PM
My thoughts on the game:

WOOT WOOT!

Mogulseeker
09-09-2012, 10:43 PM
If you noticed, the coverage problems were Mays almost every time. They may love the guy, but his coverage has not improved at all.

Let's face it, Mays is basically an undersized DT.

hambone13
09-09-2012, 10:43 PM
rahim moore got screwed on helmet to helmet call, he dipped low before the hit and the receiver dipped after the catch, was incidental.

Amen. I couldn't agree with you more. He did what he was trained to do, "go lower". I'm glad you said it because I forgot to mention it.

hambone13
09-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Let's face it, Mays is basically an undersized DT.

I wish I had the logistical details but that play....where he basically looked like Mays (highly over committing" was atrocious.....I just threw up a little in my mouth, again.

broncolife
Id like to thank Hulamau for giving his left nut for our pick 6. I would have offered but Im left nutted.

Pony Boy
The RB's have to be able to pass block and obviously Moreno sucks at it, that's why we will see Ball in some critical drives.

That One Guy
09-09-2012, 10:46 PM

They pretty much told everyone to stop blowing people up. I'm pretty sure leading like Moore did would've been a penalty just about anywhere he hit him. Until the receiver catches it, establishes possession, and makes a move or something like that, he's considered defenseless and can't be blown up.

SportinOne
So we got:

1. Our linebackers can't cover
2. Our defense can't get off of the field on 3rd down.
3. Dumervil stunk but Miller was great.
4 Peyton is God.
5. Porter is Jesus.
6. Moore is still an idiot.
7. Warren is still a bitch.

I'll offer you this:

1. Our linebackers probably shouldn't be covering fast TEs on 3rd and long.
2. It's Ben Roethlesburger + See number 1.
3. Miller only got pressure on the QB the last drive of the game. Other than that, in terms of pass rush, they were pretty similar. In fact, I do remember a few plays in which Dumervil was very very close to making at least a sack if not a strip sack and was just a tad too late.
4. Yep
5. Seriously, the guy is a ball hawk. Put himself in position to make 3 picks tonight. Caught the one that mattered most.
6. For the most part.
7. Yeah

Fedaykin
Amen. I couldn't agree with you more. He did what he was trained to do, "go lower". I'm glad you said it because I forgot to mention it.

Yeah it was pretty clear in the replay that it was incidental. Got called only because of how nasty it looked/sounded. I was screaming at the damn refs because we'd finally gotten off the damn field on 3rd and long, ha!

maher_tyler

Looked like he could have easily avoided the hit imo.

Blueflame
09-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Know what? Pittsburgh is a tough, proud team... a perennial playoff team. Tonight's win is something to savor. Lots of teams will lose to the Steelers in 2012. "But this is not that day!" (LOTR reference... lol)

Nwp-Apap
09-09-2012, 10:48 PM
The RB's have to be able to pass block and obviously Moreno sucks at it, that's why we will see Ball in some critical drives.

The only reason Ball was in is because McGahee was winded and Moreno tore his shoe open.

Tombstone RJ
09-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Broncos ran the 5-2 all damn night. Brooking actually started the game, what does that tell you? Brooking played until he got--INJURED--by pulling his vagina in coverage.

Yank Mays. Yank his ass out.

Insert Irving at MLB. He cant--CANT be any worse than Mays. Have Irving and Woodyard or Trevathan play along with Miller.

wtf is wrong with Fox?

That One Guy
09-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Know what? Pittsburgh is a tough, proud team... a perennial playoff team. Tonight's win is something to savor. Lots of teams will lose to the Steelers in 2012.

Overall, yes. The problem is that the run D was very solid yet when it came to pass coverage, all too often there was a guy open by 5 yards. Particularly early in the game, this was the case. Later in the game, it seemed the coverage got closer yet the Steelers continued to make play after play in 3rd and long.

It wasn't a matter of winning or losing that people are caught up in, I don't think. Denver was never even remotely out of the game. The problem was the mind-numbingly retarded mistakes that were being made.

24champ
09-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Ben is money on third downs, it had more to do with him than our defense.

This team is going to be really really good.

TheChamp24
09-09-2012, 10:54 PM
In the end, we only gave up 280 total yards on defense, only allowed 19 points, turned up even in the turnover department.
Most of the time when they ran the ball, it was stuffed. Very impressive.
One thing I question is, where was Wolfe in the second half? Just didn't see him very much.

Also to note, not counting the kneel downs to end the half/game, we scored on every possession after the first quarter. 4 for 4, netting 25 points. That is pretty impressive. Goes to prove with Peyton Manning you don't need to control the clock really to win the game.

errand
09-09-2012, 10:55 PM
For all the D hate (and they werent great), they still only gave up 19 pts to a pretty game Big Ben tonight.

Exactly...we played a pretty good Steelers team. they're not creampuffs.

Hard to believe we had so many clowns on here that didn't want Manning at all....now they love him...whatever.

I find it amazing that people in game thread were trashing Moreno for not being able to clone himself and block two blitzers...and trashing Porter, well they were until he intercepted the Rapist and made it a two score game.

And people complaining about the pass rush....well we sacked Rapist 3 consecutive plays...amazing what playing with a lead does for the DL and pass rush when the opposing team becomes one dimensional.

It's only the first game, but given our schedule it's a very good start....

Tombstone RJ
09-09-2012, 10:55 PM
In the end, we only gave up 280 total yards on defense, only allowed 19 points, turned up even in the turnover department.
One thing I question is, where was Wolfe in the second half? Just didn't see him very much.

Also to note, not counting the kneel downs to end the half/game, we scored on every possession after the first quarter. 4 for 4, netting 25 points. That is pretty impressive. Goes to prove with Peyton Manning you don't need to control the clock really to win the game.

Ayers played a lot in the second half.

BroncoLifer
09-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Y'all are missing one other thing: John Elway is the clear favorite for NFL Executive of the Year. He got it done for us for 16 years as a player and he's still getting it done.

Blueflame
09-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Overall, yes. The problem is that the run D was very solid yet when it came to pass coverage, all too often there was a guy open by 5 yards. Particularly early in the game, this was the case. Later in the game, it seemed the coverage got closer yet the Steelers continued to make play after play in 3rd and long.

It wasn't a matter of winning or losing that people are caught up in, I don't think. Denver was never even remotely out of the game. The problem was the mind-numbingly retarded mistakes that were being made.

Yeah, there were far too many 3rd-and-long's that the Steelers converted tonight... but again, this was arguably the toughest defense we'll face all year and know what... 7 playoff appearances in the past 10 seasons is kinda hard to argue with.

errand
09-09-2012, 11:01 PM

You're crazy dude...

That play that Manning got sacked?

the Steelers had two blitzers and unfortunately, we only had one Knowshon Moreno to block them. He blocked the first guy he saw....and his pass protection ability is one of the reasons he's on the team.

Tombstone RJ
09-09-2012, 11:03 PM
when you live and die with the friggen 5-2 defense because your best friggen pass rusher just happens to be your best friggen LBer

YOUR OTHER TWO LBERS BETTER BE ABLE TO COVER SOMEONE.

theAPAOps5
09-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Despite the breakdowns in coverage on 3rd and 97 they still won. That is all that really matters!

Peyton Freaking Manning

Bacchus
09-09-2012, 11:07 PM
It's Ben Roethlisberger, it happens.

Exactly, Pittsburgh's players get paid as well.

Roethlisberger was very careless with the ball tonight and Denver missed NUMEROUS chances at interceptions.

hambone13
09-09-2012, 11:07 PM

I don't see how. We'll let the video genius of the mane put up the details to discuss.

hambone13
09-09-2012, 11:11 PM

I think it's very easy to say with the super bad-ass slow mo we have with frame and picture quality today. When you're in those situations (and I've never been at the nfl level) it's not exactly what you're thinking about. It's not like you can change the position of your head when you've committed to a direction and you don't know what's going to happen before you get there.

Tombstone RJ
09-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Rahim Moore made the jackass play of the night by single handedly extending one of Pittsburgh's scoring drives.

JDR better have a heart-to-heart with Moore about not being an idiot on the football field.

Kaylore
09-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Third and long was unacceptable. Get off the field on those! Those are the downs you salivate for.
We ran the no-huddle surprisingly well for the first game with a new QB. Manning was toying with them. That's still the Steelers defense.
Methwolfe got a sack.
Methwolfe.
Awoooooo!!!!
Methwolfe.
Von Miller and Doom need to show up not in garbage time. I appreciated the sacks, but the game was effectively over at that point.
Todd Haley can eat my poo.
It frightens me that Joe Mays is on the field in nickel situations.
The officiating is still crappy. The return game is blah, but the Steelers showed an explosive return game in the preseason. Grateful that was bottled up.
Overall the defense held the opponent to 19 points and scored a TD on their own. We'll win a lot of games if that continues.

Bacchus
09-09-2012, 11:17 PM

Good post, Today was the first game of a very tough schedule, judging the results Denver should be in every game this year.

broncolife
09-09-2012, 11:18 PM
You're crazy dude...

That play that Manning got sacked?

the Steelers had two blitzers and unfortunately, we only had one Knowshon Moreno to block them. He blocked the first guy he saw....and his pass protection ability is one of the reasons he's on the team.

there was a play on the first drive that Moreno screwed up a block, but I agree with you on that play

24champ
09-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Rahim Moore made the jackass play of the night by single handedly extending one of Pittsburgh's scoring drives.

JDR better have a heart-to-heart with Moore about not being an idiot on the football field.

I don't think so. He appeared to have led with his shoulders. Rahim Moore played good tonight.

SoCalBronco
09-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Third and long was unacceptable. Get off the field on those! Those are the downs you salivate for.
We ran the no-huddle surprisingly well for the first game with a new QB. Manning was toying with them. That's still the Steelers defense.
Methwolfe got a sack.
Methwolfe.
Awoooooo!!!!
Methwolfe.
Von Miller and Doom need to show up not in garbage time. I appreciated the sacks, but the game was effectively over at that point.
Todd Haley can eat my poo.
It frightens me that Joe Mays is on the field in nickel situations.
The officiating is still crappy. The return game is blah, but the Steelers showed an explosive return game in the preseason. Grateful that was bottled up.
Overall the defense held the opponent to 19 points and scored a TD on their own. We'll win a lot of games if that continues.

Von was actually bringing it all night, Khan. He got held several times by Heath Miller and was right there a couple other times and even ended a drive (even tho he got away with a facemask). Against most QB's, he would have had multiple sacks before the last drive.....and he was a force against the run as well. I agree on Doom, though.

Rep for 4 straight Methwolfe references.

Boobs McGee
09-09-2012, 11:21 PM
I don't think so. He appeared to have led with his shoulders. Rahim Moore played good tonight.

That's what it looked like to me as well...he was closing fast and once he saw the ball wasn't caught there wasn't a whole lot he could do, led with his shoulders as best he could

Tombstone RJ
09-09-2012, 11:22 PM

that play would have been flagged 10 times out of 10 times, it's called hitting a defenseless player. It does not matter he lead with his shoulder, the player was defenseless and Moore went for the head.

It was a bad play. Aggressive, yes. Boneheaded and moronic and ill timed--yep. The stellers would have punted, instead they go and score a TD because the defense is gassed.

Moore made a rookie mistake. But he ain't a rookie, get it?

Jetland
09-09-2012, 11:22 PM

either you don't know much about football or you don't know much about this player.........let me know which so we can continue this conversation

Jetland
09-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Any word on Warren?

taker of other peoples money?

Dexter
09-09-2012, 11:24 PM

Agreed. Moore looks pretty solid so far. That was such a bang bang play, and that helmet to helmet hit was on Wallace. Rahim is the one that took one to the side of the head.

Only way the officials would have gotten that one was through replay. And no way the NFL ever allows that kind of **** to be replayed because it slows down the game. So the officials are going to call it on the defense every time.

Hopefully the NFL has the sense to not fine Rahim though, because he doesn't deserve it.

Popps
09-09-2012, 11:25 PM
We've got problems at LB, but we knew that.

Bowlen, Elway and Fox should be commended for the offseason.
The effectiveness of the offseason plan was obvious tonight.

Dexter
09-09-2012, 11:27 PM
I really hope they give Trevathan some time at WLB. We need to go out and draft a high profile MLB next year. Manti Te'o anybody?

bpc
Think if we're sitting in a 4-3 in pass coverage with Mays on the field, we're in trouble.

Otherwise, think Pitt and big Ben get some credit for making us look bad. He's been doing that since 05'.

Next week is going to be a HHHHUGE challenge. Falcons are gonna be very good this year.

~Crash~
both OL was holding like a MF. so lighten the **** up on the DL.

Dexter
09-09-2012, 11:28 PM
either you don't know much about football or you don't know much about this player.........let me know which so we can continue this conversation

Moreno did not block well tonight if that's what you're insinuating. I saw missed assignments twice. Which surprised me because he excelled at it this preseason.

24champ
09-09-2012, 11:29 PM
that play would have been flagged 10 times out of 10 times, it's called hitting a defenseless player. It does not matter he lead with his shoulder, the player was defenseless and Moore went for the head.

It was a bad play. Aggressive, yes. Boneheaded and moronic and ill timed--yep. The stellers would have punted, instead they go and score a TD because the defense is gassed.

Moore made a rookie mistake. But he ain't a rookie, get it?

Moore did not go for the head. Stop making stuff up.

Kaylore
09-09-2012, 11:30 PM

I invented carrots.

Tombstone RJ
09-09-2012, 11:30 PM

ok, whatever. but he went for the head:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/9/9/3306919/emmanuel-sanders-injury-concussion

Turd_Ferguson
09-09-2012, 11:32 PM
We've got problems at LB, but we knew that.

Agreed.. We were soft at DT DB and QB, and Elway and company have fixed those issues... I am confident that they will improve the LB position this off season...

Garcia Bronco
09-09-2012, 11:32 PM

I thought the call was bull**** myself. The Steeler dude jumped at him, but whatever.

ShutDownPoster
09-09-2012, 11:33 PM

+1 - balls of steel to make all of this happen.

Garcia Bronco
09-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Agreed.. We were soft at DT DB and QB, and Elway and company have fixed those issues... I am confident that they will improve the LB position this off season...

We're going to improve it during this season.

Agamemnon
09-09-2012, 11:35 PM
ok, whatever. but he went for the head.

I thought so too. And then I saw the replay.

Having a knee jerk reaction is understandable. Holding on to it when it is obviously wrong, not so much.

24champ
09-09-2012, 11:36 PM
ok, whatever. but he went for the head.

Except he didn't and your the only one in this thread making those claims. 2-3 others have disagreed as well. So there's that...

Tombstone RJ
09-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Except he didn't and your the only one in this thread making those claims. 2-3 others have disagreed as well. So there's that...

there's more than one angle on that play and yes, I thought he went for the head. Sanders was going down, Moore went low too.

NFLBRONCO
09-09-2012, 11:40 PM

We need another DT and LB help for sure.

24champ
09-09-2012, 11:41 PM
ok, whatever. but he went for the head:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/9/9/3306919/emmanuel-sanders-injury-concussion

From your own link.

Moore did try to go low and tried to avoid the head. But he got caught in a difficult spot when Sanders also dipped his head, leading to the helmet-to-helmet hit. Moore was flagged for the hit -- which is going to happen when heads knock -- and Sanders left the game.

Popps
09-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Also, haven't read anything here tonight so this may be redundant but the o-line sure looked solid to me, and not just because of Manning's delivery. They gave him lots of time tonight, and opened holes for the run game when it counted. All of our backs chipped in, too. Great night for te blockers, IMO.

Tombstone RJ
09-09-2012, 11:46 PM
From your own link.

yah, I know. But the there's another camera angle that shows Moore's approach to the hit and it looks like he had time avoid the collision. If anyone has the game on DVD, they will see the angle I'm talking about.

fdf
09-09-2012, 11:46 PM

That wasn't Moore's fault. He was coming in low--far below the level of the receiver's helmet--but the receiver lowered his head to make the helmet-on-helmet happen. I don't see how Moore could have avoided it. He was in the air before the receiver lowered his head.

If anything, the receiver should have been called for it. It looked to me like he made it happen intentionally.

Kid A
09-09-2012, 11:47 PM
1. Manning is a monster.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9en10uqX41qit8aco3_500.gif

outdoor_miner
09-09-2012, 11:49 PM
I am going to chime in and say that I was pissed at Moore when the play happened, but after watching the replay, I really don't think he could have avoided it. Sanders dipped down at the last minute which led to the blow to the head.

jutang
09-09-2012, 11:56 PM
If Moore hadn't done all those bone head plays last year he would have gotten a pass for today's hit from the Omane today. In slow mo it looked like Moore was trying to avoid the helmet to helmet by going low... He took his eye off the receiver so still bad technique on his part. His play overall today was very strong and prevented any big plays from a very explosive wr steelers group.

I give Beadles a lot of crap... But his hustle on D Thomas' run was the key block that led to the touchdown.

I fail to see the usefulness of a fullback in this offense.

DJ Williams will still have a roster spot once his suspension is over.

theAPAOps5
09-09-2012, 11:57 PM
I called out Moore as well, called him a mental midget. Then they showed the replay. Dude tried to make the right tackle and went low. Sad thing is he will probably get fined for it too.

Full speed looked blatantly helmet to helmet. Replay looked the opposite. Its crazy.

Agamemnon
09-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Also, haven't read anything here tonight so this may be redundant but the o-line sure looked solid to me, and not just because of Manning's delivery. They gave him lots of time tonight, and opened holes for the run game when it counted. All of our backs chipped in, too. Great night for te blockers, IMO.

Indeed. Walton and Beadles looked like genuine NFL starters for once. Even without Kuper out there our o-line looked worlds better than last year.

Doggcow
09-10-2012, 12:30 AM
Indeed. Walton and Beadles looked like genuine NFL starters for once. Even without Kuper out there our o-line looked worlds better than last year.

I bet, a lot of that is Manning, too.

Bacchus
09-10-2012, 12:51 AM
I bet, a lot of that is Manning, too.

Yeah, the whole line is going to look great this year. I made the prediction that Clady would not give up one sack this year and Denver would regret not signing him to a long term contract this year when they were negotiating. He is going to get a Brinks truck next year.

ZONA
09-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Yeah, the whole line is going to look great this year. I made the prediction that Clady would not give up one sack this year and Denver would regret not signing him to a long term contract this year when they were negotiating. He is going to get a Brinks truck next year.

Well if Manning keeps motioning for a WR or TE to move back in tight on every audible then yeah, he probably shouldn't give up a sack. LOL

Jetland
09-10-2012, 01:32 AM
Moreno did not block well tonight if that's what you're insinuating. I saw missed assignments twice. Which surprised me because he excelled at it this preseason.

I am not insinuating that at all just saying this guy needs to be called out on his blanket statement "Moreno sucks at it".....I am not one to let obvious stupidity slide

BroncoFanDoug
09-10-2012, 01:47 AM
How can we all not be incredibly excited!

Peyton indeed is PFM.

Our defense no longer is gashed by the run.

We just owned a very very good team.

Bacchus
09-10-2012, 01:55 AM
Well if Manning keeps motioning for a WR or TE to move back in tight on every audible then yeah, he probably shouldn't give up a sack. LOL

I agree, that is what Manning does. He knows what to do and protections to make. That is why this OL is going to look very good as compared to last year when Tebow was running around all over the place.

Punisher
09-10-2012, 02:10 AM
http://cjzero.com/gifs/VonMillerDance.gif

Al Wilson
09-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Boy did I used to hate Peyton Manning, but am I ever so glad he is a Denver Bronco now. That was awesome. Just watching him command the offense and move the chains. He always knows where everyone is and always finds the open man. That was great.

I thought the tackling wasn't good on the Broncos defense. They missed plenty of tackles (mostly the linebackers) and a couple of interception opportunities. I hope Trevathan can get some playing time, he is a tackling machine.

Side note: Rahim Moore looked better than he did last year. He was lost on defense last year, but this year he looks confident and is all over the field. You guys need to stop the hate (I thought he sucked last year, but he had a good game today). His hit on the reciever was clean, he went shoulder on him.

BowlenBall
09-10-2012, 02:42 AM
1. On defense, the linebackers are our Achilles heel. (Mays in particular) Although he's undersized, I hope the team gives Travathan a shot in the middle in coming weeks. He may not be a lights-out tackler, but at least he doesn't whiff every other tackle.

2. On offense, we look very, very solid at all positions, as far as I can tell. I was worried about Kuper being out, but Ramirez seems to have filled in admirably.

3. I'm curious why we rolled with only four receivers yesterday -- didn't Fox and co. get their ass in a sling once last year doing that?

4. Our backs look good -- but am intrigued at what Hillman might be able to do back there, as he's got that extra gear that McGahee, Ball, and Moreno lack.

5. The no-huddle killed Pittsburgh's defense -- they simply weren't able to do all the exotic blitzes and substitution packages that they normally do. If our defense can do better on 3rd downs, we're going to run other teams into the ground at home.

6. John Elway deserves quite a bit of praise for his work this off-season. Should be the front-runner for NFL Executive of the Year, IMO.

eddie mac
09-10-2012, 02:46 AM
We've needed a guy like Porter for a long, LONG time.

Really need to focus on LB next off-season though. We're short TWO that can cover appropriately.

If we wanna go for it all this year there's always the trade deadline.

BowlenBall
09-10-2012, 02:56 AM

DeMeco Ryans could have been had for a fourth rounder, I believe... sigh...

fontaine
09-10-2012, 02:57 AM
Thoughts?

I think it was a great game. Our one weakeness was bringing Big Ben down because NO LBers are going to be able to cover their guys for 4/5 seconds when the QB is extending the play.

Our coverage is going to get much, much better when DJ comes back so I'm not really worried.

This was one of the toughest games of the first half of our season.
First game start for Manning in years,
tons of expectation from a home crowd,
and the Steelers out for revenge.

And our offense was just toying with their D.

Think of how much better our offense will be after a few more weeks.

Ratboy
09-10-2012, 05:45 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1349620/helmethit.gif

Rahim Moore's hit was total bull****. I suppose in the heat of the moment, the ref will throw it every time, but something like that should be reviewed.

Punisher
09-10-2012, 05:57 AM
3rd and long was converted over and over because our LBs are trash in coverage. They made the stops they needed, but it was getting frustrating.

So many holds we're missed too. Pitt owes miller dinner after that violation all game.

Broncos vs pats will be a shoot out cause of the crappy linebacker coverage

Rock Chalk
09-10-2012, 05:59 AM
Broncos ran the 5-2 all damn night. Brooking actually started the game, what does that tell you? Brooking played until he got--INJURED--by pulling his vagina in coverage.

Yank Mays. Yank his ass out.

Insert Irving at MLB. He cant--CANT be any worse than Mays. Have Irving and Woodyard or Trevathan play along with Miller.

wtf is wrong with Fox?

Except Steven Johnson is #2 on the depth chart behind Mays.

WolfpackGuy
09-10-2012, 06:37 AM

Rahim Moore's hit was total bull****. I suppose in the heat of the moment, the ref will throw it every time, but something like that should be reviewed.

That was close, but what about the two Steelers tackling one of the Broncos' pass rushers (couldn't make out who) on the same play.

TheChamp24
09-10-2012, 06:50 AM
I think people also don't remember the blatant 12 men on the field for the Steelers, it still would've been 3rd and long, but heck 5 yards is 5 yards.

And on Roethlisberger's 4th and inches QB sneak, they gave him a very generous spot of the ball. I still think he probably made it for the first, but not where they spotted it.

We just beat a very solid Steelers team though, and our offense became unstoppable essentially.

s0phr0syne
09-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Regardless of whether the Moore hit on Sanders was a penalty or not, the guy still hasn't learned how to tackle a bit during the offseason. I was impressed that he didn't noticeably screw the pooch in coverage, which in itself is a great improvement. But, the guy had horrible tackling technique throughout the game. He's either going to kill someone (like Sanders) or going to get himself killed with the way he just runs his body into oncoming players, albeit he is fearless. But sometimes fearless is just stupid.

TheReverend
09-10-2012, 07:10 AM

Teams arent too willing to part with big guys that can move and make plays in passing lanes.

But man... if we could get just TWO of those... :/

rbackfactory80
09-10-2012, 07:18 AM
Good game but they are in the top 2 teams I hope Denver avoids down the road.

Also, I felt the body language changed dramatically after Moore made that stupid play. I understand people were upset and they should have gotten of the field but the rest of the defense has to have Moore's back and stay in a better frame of mind instead of clutching back on their heels and acting like they missed their one shot.
Part of being mentally tough.

TonyR
09-10-2012, 07:29 AM

I don't know about fit (4-3 vs. 3-4) but Stephen Tulloch, David Hawthorne, Curtis Lofton, Dan Connor, and London Fletcher, among others, were all available this past offseason and for whatever reason we didn't seem to show interest. And I don't think any of them got big $. I don't get it. Joe Mays is better than all of these guys?

EmpireOrange
09-10-2012, 07:32 AM

1) Its the first game and against Big Ben. He only has two super bowl rings and 3 super bowl appearances in the in seven years because he sucks. Denver held them to 19 points. Good.

2) Steelers WRs are big, fast, and talented. Denver held them to 19 points. Good.

3) New defensive parts and yet again another new coordinator. Denver held them to 19 points. Good.

4) Defense was on the field for most of the first 3 quarters. Denver held them to 19 points. Good.

5) When it counted, defense came up with plays and sealed the game. Denver held them to 19 points. Good.

Summary: Denver is only going to get better. Roethlisberger was unreal on 3rd downs last night. Yes, Denver did alot of damage to themselves but it wasn't like they were playing Matt Cassel. As the season progresses, defensively, Denver is going to be very good. The big concern going into the season, however, was how long would it take for the offense to gell and get on the same page. They answered it in force: not long at all. Any other team but Steelers, the Pats, and a few others; the Broncos would have hung 50 last night. Championship!

lolcopter
09-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Steelers fans are still obnoxious **** talkers

Felt good to shove it down their mouths again

Drek
09-10-2012, 07:45 AM
1. On defense, the linebackers are our Achilles heel. (Mays in particular) Although he's undersized, I hope the team gives Travathan a shot in the middle in coming weeks. He may not be a lights-out tackler, but at least he doesn't whiff every other tackle.
I'd look to get Travathan in at WOLB, where he is a better size fit and we're just as weak in coverage.

Then I'd rotate Brooking and Mays at MLB. Brooking is a career MLB we're playing at WOLB while DJ is out, but he was also the only LB to show good coverage on Miller last night. He should be our 3rd down MLB going forward.

6. John Elway deserves quite a bit of praise for his work this off-season. Should be the front-runner for NFL Executive of the Year, IMO.
He'd get more praise from me if he'd used the $12M in remaining cap room and the $4M we wasted on Mays to acquire a real MLB. There were plenty available (Lofton for example, who left Atlanta to go to the Saints). He'd also get more credit from me if he'd recognized our weaknesses at WOLB and had gone with Lavonte David instead of Osweiler. Not only is David a superior prospect he filled an immediate need, not one that Manning might vacate in a few years.

TonyR
09-10-2012, 07:46 AM
Summary: Denver is only going to get better...

Good post Empire, but to throw some negativity/devil's advocacy into the mix we were playing against a patchwork O-line and they were missing Rashard Mendenhall (who I think would have caused us some big problems). So we're going to have to get better.

gyldenlove
09-10-2012, 07:47 AM
1. Coverage by linebackers is appalling and the fact that Woodyard and Mays are out there in nickel situations is a serious indictment of our linebacking depth. Heath Miller is no Aaron Hernandez, Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham or even Antonio Gates all of whom we are going to be facing within the next month and change.

2. Run defense is lights out. At no point were Steelers able to mount any sort of rushing offense and the fact that we got them in so many 3rd and long situations is all down to outstanding rush defense. The tackling was good, the flow was good, the power was good. Mays and Woodyard may stink in pass coverage but they both bring serious heat against the run.

3. JD Walton had a very solid game, he went 1 on 1 with Casey Hampton many times both in run and pass coverage and never got beaten, he also didn't give up the ground he used to do. He had no missed snaps, no false starts, a very encouraging performance.

4. Moreno played a lot more than I thought he would, I am not sure if the Mcgahee fumble put him out there more than planned but if that it not the case it looks like the coaches like him.

5. The Steelers are a very good team, they got a few lucky calls from the refs and we still beat them - that is the hallmark of a good team.

6. The refs need to go, so many missed calls and allowing Fox to decline a false start penalty along with the TD that got called back. I would rate that performance as not acceptable.

7. Is it me or did it seem like there weren't that many Steelers fans in the stadium? normally it is quite yellow, white and black during Steelers games but it looked pretty orange to me.

lolcopter
09-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Oh there were steelers fans alright. Not as many as last time, but still as annoying as ever

TonyR
09-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Manning saves Fox, McCoy from themselves

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/manning-saves-fox-mccoy-from-themselves

MrPeepers
09-10-2012, 08:03 AM
one thing i noticed is the camera angle for the broncos was usually/often behind Peyton to show the line changes and movements, the Steelers angle was usually to the side.

made it easier to see the plays prior to the snap.

canadianbroncosfan
09-10-2012, 08:16 AM
1. Manning is a monster. Good to see him spread the ball around to everyone really, especially to DT. I loved seeing the chess match between him and Troy "I'm a dirty POS, but seem like a nice guy cause I make Head N Shoulders commercials" Polamalu. It's all in his head. He's as smart as any QB I've ever seen. There were tons of checks and virtually all of them were the right one, especially that pick play that resulted in the Tamme TD. Not sure how many TD's he will have, but I wouldn't be shocked if he hit 70% compleetion percentage, which I think has only been done maybe 3 times (89, 94 and once more).

2. Run Game was ok. A little weird seeing Ball getting carries in crucial drives, but both WMac and Moreno contributed. Moreno had that nice cutback on teh goalline. Mac is just consistent and still possesses good vision and power. Hopefully Hillman gets up to speed soon so he can add some HR capability.

3. Love the no-huddle. It is a HUGE weapon at home. Between that and the altitude, we'll give teams alot of trouble, especially teams that are not well conditioned. He can run the whole thing from the gun. As I've said before, its not about formations so much as is being able to use everything from any of the few sets we use.

4. Pass coverage is garbage with LBs and S's. I actually think Adams played well, for a journeyman, he brought it as best he could. Moore is more active than last year (obviously) but still makes really untimely mental errors. He's at least getting in the plays now even if he's an instant away from making a big play instead of making the actual play. LBs will continue to be exposed in pass game. They can't cover backs or TE's at all. And its all or nothing with Mays in the run game. WW did well vs. the run, had serious issues vs. pass.

5. Champ and Porter are prolly best CB combo in a long, long time for us. Porter KNOWS he is going to get targetted and still makes plays. He can cover speed guys downfield and also is a good pattern reader.

6. I'm concerned about Doom. Miller was HELD the whole ****ing night by Heath Miller and others. He should have had prolly 4-5 sacks if it wasnt for stupid officiating and Ben being tough to get tackle, but what about Doom? He was playing 1 on 1 alot because they were doubling Miller and he wasnt doing a ton. Gotta love the Methwolfe. He was playing both DE and DT and was great on twists and stunts. Also good in run pursuit. I don't want to know what happened to Warren, I'm sick of his ****.

7. The team obviously thought this was the 05 AFCCG on 3rd and long. Ugh. Will need to blitz to correct this problem unless Doom can start bringing it from the other end.

Great play in the clutch and great win vs. good team.

I realize there's five pages and you may have already heard some of this, but here's my take on it. Also let me mention great post SoCal

The chess match with Troy, WOW! It's so awesome to have such an intelligent QB who recognizes more than the play he's was creating. He did the same thing on 1st on Goal when the refs were off the field and the Steelers D was set. He saw what he didn't like, called the audible, and boom TD on 1st down.

I did enjoy the no huddle, was so awesome to see a game managed instead of just played. I would have liked Manning to slow it down a bit on the drive that ended on the FG. We gave Big Ben the ball back with three minutes to go and I really don't have faith in our Safeties if that was a more prolific offence.

Not sure what was up with Doom, especially because, and correct me if I'm wrong, it was a replacement O Lineman he was against? Man Methwolfe and Miller were studs. Someone put in the gameday thread that Miller was ineffective, the fact that he was double teamed all game and still got two sacks (regardless what point of the game they came in) tells me he was just the opposite.

Those 3rd and longs were absurd!! Something the definitely need to work on. What pisses me off is when we hand them a 1st with a stupid penalty when they'd be 4th and 10 and their own 20!! That play in particular stood out to me because it lead to a TD drive.

Pony Boy
09-10-2012, 08:25 AM
I called out Moore as well, called him a mental midget. Then they showed the replay. Dude tried to make the right tackle and went low. Sad thing is he will probably get fined for it too.

Full speed looked blatantly helmet to helmet. Replay looked the opposite. Its crazy.

It was an unfortunate play that happened at the absolute worst time in the game for the Broncos.

Itís a damned if you do or damned if you donít call. ESPN is doing special segments on bad calls by the replacement refs and had they not called it as helmet to helmet, we would be seeing it again all day on sports center.

Beantown Bronco
09-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Helmet to helmet should be off the table IMO if a receiver voluntarily lowers his head such that it ends up about a foot off the ground prior to impact.

Ziggy
09-10-2012, 08:33 AM
I realize there's five pages and you may have already heard some of this, but here's my take on it. Also let me mention great post SoCal

The chess match with Troy, WOW! It's so awesome to have such an intelligent QB who recognizes more than the play he's was creating. He did the same thing on 1st on Goal when the refs were off the field and the Steelers D was set. He saw what he didn't like, called the audible, and boom TD on 1st down.

I did enjoy the no huddle, was so awesome to see a game managed instead of just played. I would have liked Manning to slow it down a bit on the drive that ended on the FG. We gave Big Ben the ball back with three minutes to go and I really don't have faith in our Safeties if that was a more prolific offence.

Not sure what was up with Doom, especially because, and correct me if I'm wrong, it was a replacement O Lineman he was against? Man Methwolfe and Miller were studs. Someone put in the gameday thread that Miller was ineffective, the fact that he was double teamed all game and still got two sacks (regardless what point of the game they came in) tells me he was just the opposite.
Those 3rd and longs were absurd!! Something the definitely need to work on. What pisses me off is when we hand them a 1st with a stupid penalty when they'd be 4th and 10 and their own 20!! That play in particular stood out to me because it lead to a TD drive.

Not only did Miller have 2 sacks, but he had 4 tackles for a loss. He was in the backfield all night long.

bronco militia
09-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Manning saves Fox, McCoy from themselves

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/manning-saves-fox-mccoy-from-themselves

yeah...I was having Tebow flash backs in the first quarter. :cuss:

WolfpackGuy
09-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Helmet to helmet should be off the table IMO if a receiver voluntarily lowers his head such that it ends up about a foot off the ground prior to impact.

Yeah, the receiver appeared to deliver more of a blow than Moore did.

TheChamp24
09-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Honestly, Miller was a beast last night.
My favorite play was when he blew up a running play for a 5 yard loss. He's going to be so freakin good.

McDman
09-10-2012, 08:46 AM
This is one of the few times I wish MacGruder was still here. I'd love to hear him knock Manning and Blow Tebow after that.

kappys
09-10-2012, 08:50 AM
1) Manning is dominant in the no-huddle. The Broncos were a little slow to go to it but I'll bet that had as much to do with Manning getting to play a few live snaps after such a long break from the NFL before going right back into beast mode.

2) The running game out of the no huddle could be the difference. The interior O-line was getting excellent push and our running yards came inside against a very stingy Pitt run D. Without 9 in the box they couldn't stop us, with 9 in the box Manning made them pay in typical fashion.

3) I'm much less concerned with the defense than others here. Rapist was on fire and few other QB's can do what he did and even he would be hard pressed to repeat his amazing 3rd down performance. If we can consistently hold other teams on 1st/2nd downs most QB's won't be converting.

4) Run defense was a great surprise but Pitt's interior O-line is still suspect, we'll see what happens over the coming weeks.

5) LB coverage is going to be a big issue against elite TE's. JDR's move to bring in Leonhard at safety and let Mike Adams work against Miller was a smart one. I think it would have worked but we just couldn't finish the deal when we got pressure on Rapist. DJ Williams still has a spot on this team unless the other LB's can really pick up the pace. I think we'll be seeing more of a big nickle again.

6) Rahim Moore made some mistakes but he was close on some big plays as well. Still we are better off with the consistent Quinton Carter back there.

TheReverend
09-10-2012, 08:50 AM
My favorite play was when he blew up a running play for a 5 yard loss. He's going to be so freakin good.

He had a very good game. He needs to become more of a finisher though. Lots of plays left on the field vs the run and the pass.

BroncoInferno
09-10-2012, 09:06 AM
DeMeco Ryans could have been had for a fourth rounder, I believe... sigh...

We need a linebacker who can cover somebody. Houston was willing to move Ryans because they took him off the field in nickle situations.

TonyR
09-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Houston was willing to move Ryans because they took him off the field in nickle situations.

Also I think they switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4.

DBroncos4life
09-10-2012, 09:36 AM
When is Jonanthan Vilma coming back? Saints have three MLBs Loften, Vilma and Ruud. We might be able to get one of them from them.

pricejj
09-10-2012, 09:45 AM
1. Manning revolutionized the QB position last night with cat and mouse vs. Polamalu. What you saw, was history being made on Orange Sunday at Mile High.

2. Wolfeman could not be moved off the LOS against a Steeler team who was determined to run the ball down our throat. Don't **** with the gutteral scream.

3. Too bad D.J. won't be back until after the game against the Patriots. Need more Trevathan, pronto.

4. I used to bash Beadles and Walton. If anyone attempts to bash them again, you will be confronted with a patented Orlando Franklin stare.

5. Watching Stokley run routes is like watching your GF/wife take off her blouse. You've seen it before, but it gets better every time.

Boobs McGee
09-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Question for you guys - I have a coworker that is getting back into football...we were talking about the courtship of Peyton, and how Elway did such a perfect job of recruiting him. I remember a while back, there was a FANTASTIC interview that broke it all down, and showed a lot of Elways comments...can someone link me to it please? Thanks!

Tombstone RJ
09-10-2012, 09:48 AM
1. Manning revolutionized the QB position last night with cat and mouse vs. Polamalu. What you saw, was history being made on Orange Sunday at Mile High.

2. Wolfeman could not be moved off the LOS against a Steeler team who was determined to run the ball down our throat. Don't **** with the gutteral scream.

3. Too bad D.J. won't be back until after the game against the Patriots. Need more Trevathan, pronto.

4. I used to bash Beadles and Walton. If anyone attempts to bash them again, you will be confronted with a patented Orlando Franklin stare.

5. Watching Stokley run routes is like watching your GF/wife take off her blouse. You've seen it before, but it gets better every time.

Hilarious!

BowlenBall
09-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Question for you guys - I have a coworker that is getting back into football...we were talking about the courtship of Peyton, and how Elway did such a perfect job of recruiting him. I remember a while back, there was a FANTASTIC interview that broke it all down, and showed a lot of Elways comments...can someone link me to it please? Thanks!

Pretty sure you're thinking of this article from SI:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1196623/index.htm

SonOfLe-loLang
09-10-2012, 09:56 AM

going to be?

Drunken.Broncoholic
09-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Pricejj that was funny.

The cat and mouse was very fun to watch. Also when the scrub refs couldn't get their act together, leaving the Pitt defense showing what they were gonna do, Peyton then changed the play after getting the free preview thanks to inept refs!

Traveler
09-10-2012, 10:06 AM
4. I used to bash Beadles and Walton. If anyone attempts to bash them again, you will be confronted with a patented Orlando Franklin stare

Speaking of Franklin, did everyone see him truck Lamarr Woodley on the series when the Steelers had us backed up near our own goal line?

It was a thing of beauty.

Boobs McGee
09-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Pretty sure you're thinking of this article from SI:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1196623/index.htm

PERFECT! Thank you sir!

ludo21
09-10-2012, 10:21 AM
The D will continue to gel and get in sync. Those 3rd downs were painful to watch, but they only gave up 19 points in the end.

Will be fun to watch when we get a HR hitter in Hillman back as well!

Dedhed
09-10-2012, 10:26 AM

The position the WR put himself in (with his head pointing directly down field) there is literally no target for a defender, and unless Moore completely avoids contact (or leads with his A$$) their helmets are going to come together.

That One Guy
09-10-2012, 10:28 AM

I think it was a mistake in calling it helmet to helmet but the major issue is that players have been told to stop blowing each other up. If you can't get there to defend the ball, trying to break their back isn't an acceptable solution anymore.

lolcopter
09-10-2012, 10:45 AM
I think it was a mistake in calling it helmet to helmet but the major issue is that players have been told to stop blowing each other up. If you can't get there to defend the ball, trying to break their back isn't an acceptable solution anymore.

I was rewatching SB32 last weekend, and Steve Atwater would have flagged nearly every single play if he was in today's pussified NFL

SleepingTiger
09-10-2012, 12:40 PM
I was rewatching SB32 last weekend, and Steve Atwater would have flagged nearly every single play if he was in today's pussified NFL

I think the league has officially phased out hard hitting safties like Atwater, Lynch and Lott. Before, WR's were very cautious when going across the middle knowing their head will be served up on a platter.

You might call it the pussified NFL, but I actually think it's a good thing. Player safety is key. At the end of the day, its not you who has to care for them when they get injured. Don't get me wrong, I want hard hits. I want tackles that make you realize you're happy to be athome watching TV and not on the field. However, hitting a player in the head while he is concentrating on catching the ball is unnecessary.

Broncos_OTM
09-10-2012, 12:48 PM
I'd look to get Travathan in at WOLB, where he is a better size fit and we're just as weak in coverage.

Then I'd rotate Brooking and Mays at MLB. Brooking is a career MLB we're playing at WOLB while DJ is out, but he was also the only LB to show good coverage on Miller last night. He should be our 3rd down MLB going forward.

He'd get more praise from me if he'd used the $12M in remaining cap room and the $4M we wasted on Mays to acquire a real MLB. There were plenty available (Lofton for example, who left Atlanta to go to the Saints). He'd also get more credit from me if he'd recognized our weaknesses at WOLB and had gone with Lavonte David instead of Osweiler. Not only is David a superior prospect he filled an immediate need, not one that Manning might vacate in a few years.

how do you know denver did not try and go after another lb. you do remember players when fa can go to the team they want to. I agree Mays is a weak spot in pass pro. but he is good in the run game.

trevathan is a guy who while is not l david let's give him a chance. not to mention woodyard played lights out.

one thing for sure, we lined up and smacked Pitt in the mouth. elway has been a great front office man. has he missed on any picks sure. but his top two pics accounted for three sacks yesterday.

not getting hilman in the field. could be considered a good thing means the roster at the position is pretty good

canadianbroncosfan
09-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Not only did Miller have 2 sacks, but he had 4 tackles for a loss. He was in the backfield all night long.

Yeah, can't see how anyone could possibly slight his performance guy is an absolute monster out there.

And god damn do I love his double scoops

Mediator12
09-10-2012, 02:38 PM
The defense was very, very conservative in their coverages last night. In fact, they played a tremendous amount of bend but do not break football like INDY's old cover 2 scheme did. The biggest difference is the pass rush was wildly inconsistent and no one stayed in their lanes against Roethlisberger. The Pass rush did NOT show up until the last drive of the game. That should get better.

Also, Ben played a lot more disciplined last night until the final pick six. He dumped the ball down and was very happy to execute a quick passing attack. PIT only averaged 4.6 yards per passing play. They averaged almost 8 per play last year. The Todd Haley gameplan was to keep the ball away from Manning and eat up clock with short passing game possession offense. Unfortunately, Del Rio did a very poor job of adjusting his coverage calls and rules as the game wore on. It allowed the possession, but Manning had a great game and scored on 4 straight possessions against one of the best Defenses and minds in football. Manning bailed the DC out again.

What they did do is keep the big play WR's from making big plays. You make the other team play mistake free football and stop the big plays and you can beat a team who converts 57% of their third downs as long as you make them kick FG's, which DEN did. They also played really well versus the run.

Overall, the first game is so hard to gameplan and it showed on both sides last night. PIT played a totally atypical Offensive style and the defense was not prepared for it and struggled to stop it until they got in the red zone. The Offensive no huddle with Peyton destroyed the defenses ability to pressure effectively as the game wore on. Manning only threw the ball 26 freaking times and the run game was for real against an outstanding run defense.

What a sweet opening day victory. It will give us the tie breaker in head to head for the playoffs too! Very happy today, very happy that they played so well and still have a ton of room for improvement.

DENVERDUI55
09-10-2012, 07:22 PM
The defense was very, very conservative in their coverages last night. In fact, they played a tremendous amount of bend but do not break football like INDY's old cover 2 scheme did. The biggest difference is the pass rush was wildly inconsistent and no one stayed in their lanes against Roethlisberger. The Pass rush did NOT show up until the last drive of the game. That should get better.

Also, Ben played a lot more disciplined last night until the final pick six. He dumped the ball down and was very happy to execute a quick passing attack. PIT only averaged 4.6 yards per passing play. They averaged almost 8 per play last year. The Todd Haley gameplan was to keep the ball away from Manning and eat up clock with short passing game possession offense. Unfortunately, Del Rio did a very poor job of adjusting his coverage calls and rules as the game wore on. It allowed the possession, but Manning had a great game and scored on 4 straight possessions against one of the best Defenses and minds in football. Manning bailed the DC out again.

What they did do is keep the big play WR's from making big plays. You make the other team play mistake free football and stop the big plays and you can beat a team who converts 57% of their third downs as long as you make them kick FG's, which DEN did. They also played really well versus the run.

Overall, the first game is so hard to gameplan and it showed on both sides last night. PIT played a totally atypical Offensive style and the defense was not prepared for it and struggled to stop it until they got in the red zone. The Offensive no huddle with Peyton destroyed the defenses ability to pressure effectively as the game wore on. Manning only threw the ball 26 freaking times and the run game was for real against an outstanding run defense.

What a sweet opening day victory. It will give us the tie breaker in head to head for the playoffs too! Very happy today, very happy that they played so well and still have a ton of room for improvement.

I was loving this game. Manning was very vintage and like you mentioned with the bend don't break we ran 2 plays to Pittsburghs close to 30 over the 3rd quarter and 5 min in the second quarter and led 7-6 on that time frame. I think that deflated Pittsburgh a bit then the no huddle at home had them unable to defend run or pass late in the game. I think the game would of been a 40-17 game if Denver went no huddle right out of the gate. I was screaming at the run, run, pass early on.

24champ
09-10-2012, 07:31 PM

Excellent recap med! Rep.

errand
09-10-2012, 08:16 PM

What do you think has led to this amazing turn around?

DBroncos4life
09-10-2012, 08:20 PM
What do you think has led to this amazing turn around?

A QB that can spin the football instead of a QB that spins in the pocket.

errand
09-10-2012, 08:20 PM

Well isn't that a good thing?

hambone13
09-10-2012, 10:48 PM
I don't know if anyone every follows this blog but it's pretty funny some times.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/gut-reaction-week-1-broncos-vs-steelers

Two roads diverged in a wood.

And I?

I took the one Tracy Porter traveled by.

And that made things completely awesome.

There was this other guy named Peyton Manning, of course.

He got his 400th (and 401st) career touchdown pass as a Denver Bronco. He also took a no-huddle chainsaw to the forest of Steelers defenders and cut his own path.

The deafening sound you heard wasn't the chainsaw, though. It was the sound of 76,823 maniacs screaming their team to victory.

Positives

1. For a guy as old as Brandon Stokley, he's gets out of his breaks like he's pulling fast-twitch fibers. I'll have what he's drinking.

2. Derek Wolfe won't blow you away with any measurables. Measurables can go to hell. Sometimes a spoonful of keep your motor runnin' makes the quarterback go down--in the most delightful way. If you're into thanking John Elway--and I know you are--go ahead and thank him for drafting Wolfe.

3. Speaking of linemen, I thought the defensive line battled their collective asses off tonight. With Ty Warren out early, Mitch Unrein, Wolfe, Justin Bannan, and Kevin Vickerson had to unleash.

4. Altitude is a b****; the hurry-up offense is IN. Activate them together and it's b****in'. As Doc Bear and Ted Barlett pointed out to me during the game, the Broncos could do this the entire game and gas their opponents.

5. Demaryius Thomas is a Pittsburgh nightmare. Even scarier is Thomas's stiff arm on Troy Polamalu. Polamalu got a taste of his own medicine for once. Later in the game, Polamalu wanted no part of Thomas in the blocking game.

6. Smartest move of the night? It had to be when Jack Del Rio put Mike Adams instead of Wesley Woodyard on Heath Miller. Rinse. Repeat.

7. Tracy Porter. Tracy Porter. Tracy Porter. Say it three times fast while touching yourself, and your wildest dreams come true.

8. Von Miller on the edge or Von Miller up the gut? I'll take two lumps, thanks.

9. Continuing with Miller--when he gets his hands extended, he can stack and shed with the best in the game. His run defense is severely underestimated. His Tebowing? Well, that needs some serious work.

10. We save the best for last. Peyton Manning worked his ass off to be here tonight as the quarterback of the Denver Broncos--really, to be back in football. There were no lights, no cameras, and no media interviews during the darkest days. Some said he'd never throw again. No one will ever truly know how hard Manning had to work to get back. One marvels at this kind of work ethic. It's not the sort of stuff you read about in self-help books, or hear about on sports talk radio. It's the real thing.

Negatives

1. Tony Dungy is right. Why the hell did John Fox (or Mike McCoy, for that matter) wait twenty minutes to allow Peyton Manning to be Peyton Manning? Someone forgot to tell them they signed Professor X. Stop with this two-back, huddled garbage. Let loose the hounds of the 113.

2. It doesn't matter how good Jack Del Rio and his defense play this year. When you stay out on the field as long as they did tonight, you're going to miss tackles, you're going to be slow in your zone, and you're going to get gassed. Del Rio got unlucky, but he also could have brought more pressure at times. Late in the game, he realized the mistake and brought more blitzes.

3. For a lesson in how random stuff just happens and affects the outcome of football games, see Willis McGahee's fumble in the first quarter. Sure, McGahee could have covered the ball better, but it's also hard to account for someone attempting a whirly-whirl as a form of tackling.

4. Here we go again: the replacement refs suck eggs. They were calling the game looking through straws. The bird's eye camera showed several occasions when the replacement refs weren't just bad - they were completely out of position to make a call either way. Here's a tip: when the play clock reads "00," Ben Roethlisberger isn't allowed to call a timeout. It's a penalty. I could go on and on, but what's the point? Can the brutal call on Rahim Moore be any more wrong? How many non-calls in the Steelers secondary did we see? Finally--aw, hell, where is Ed Hochuli?

5. I'm not a fan of running the ball when you are backed up against your own end zone. The expected point values just don't support that strategy. It almost always guarantees your opponent an eventual field goal. I would have liked to have seen the Broncos take a shot, especially with the Steelers putting nine defenders in the box.

6. Ben Roethlisberger moved ten times better in and out of the pocket tonight than he did in last year's playoff game. He's also got one of the best pump fakes in the game. Ask Joe Mays. He'll tell you all about it. I know a lot of criticism is going to be heaped on the secondary after tonight's game, but Big Ben is one of the best quarterbacks in the game for a reason.

7. Speaking of Mays, let me see if I can come up with another way of saying it this week: in a hallway the width of a janitor's closet, Joe Mays just made the Hall of Fame. Unfortunately, the width of a football field is slightly larger.

8. Ty Warren can't catch a break--unless we count his bones and tendons. He spent most of the first half on the sideline and the second half in the locker room injured.

9. When you blitz, you pay the price. When you blitz and Ben Roethlisberger throws to the vacated zone, you pay the higher price.

10. What happens when you can't get off the field on third down? Pittsburgh possesses the ball for 14:24 of the third quarter. That's right. Peyton Manning sat on the bench for almost a whole quarter. I'm not saying it matters in the final score, but I am saying my heart feels cheated.

Who the Heck Knows.......

Bacchus
09-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Excellent recap med! Rep.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=3674&dateline=1344652186

Everytime I see your avatar, I think it's Chuck Norris.

theAPAOps5
09-11-2012, 12:39 AM
Oh boy, now you did it. One of the owners of IAOFM will be here to call you a thief and talk down to us because you included the whole article. You should consider chopping it down to the first few sentences.

I don't know if anyone every follows this blog but it's pretty funny some times.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/gut-reaction-week-1-broncos-vs-steelers

Two roads diverged in a wood.

And I?

I took the one Tracy Porter traveled by.

And that made things completely awesome.

There was this other guy named Peyton Manning, of course.

hambone13
09-11-2012, 12:41 AM
Oh boy, now you did it. One of the owners of IAOFM will be here to call you a thief and talk down to us because you included the whole article. You should consider chopping it down to the first few sentences.

Really? Is that a historical trend?

theAPAOps5
09-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Really? Is that a historical trend?

They are picky about it. This is the first full article posted since they got upset last time. At least that I've seen.

The talking down to us statement is unfair. I understand why they would be irked, but they just came across a little aloof I guess.

BowlenBall
09-11-2012, 01:02 AM
No harm no foul, if hambone edits down his post....

Those guys at IAOFM do a pretty good job (I actually like their coverage more than the Denver Post) -- make sure you support them by funneling traffic to their site!

hambone13
09-11-2012, 01:03 AM
They are picky about it. This is the first full article posted since they got upset last time. At least that I've seen.

The talking down to us statement is unfair. I understand why they would be irked, but they just came across a little aloof I guess.

I knocked it down some. They should be happy there's a link to their site, that element alone has huge SEO implications. F...'em :strong:

Doggcow
09-11-2012, 02:14 AM
Our No Huddle at home is going to be filthy. If we run it all day, I don't think Manning can be stopped.

TonyR
09-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Speaking of Mays, let me see if I can come up with another way of saying it this week: in a hallway the width of a janitor's closet, Joe Mays just made the Hall of Fame. Unfortunately, the width of a football field is slightly larger.

LOL ^ So true about Mays.

TheChamp24
09-11-2012, 07:10 AM
2. It doesn't matter how good Jack Del Rio and his defense play this year. When you stay out on the field as long as they did tonight, you're going to miss tackles, you're going to be slow in your zone, and you're going to get gassed. Del Rio got unlucky, but he also could have brought more pressure at times. Late in the game, he realized the mistake and brought more blitzes.

9. When you blitz, you pay the price. When you blitz and Ben Roethlisberger throws to the vacated zone, you pay the higher price.

So, we should have blitzed more, but then its saying we paid the price by blitzing.
Early on we sent a lot of blitzes and we were getting carved up, so we stopped blitzing so much. We got decent pressure from the front 4, which is awesome actually having pressure from the front 4(Doom, Miller, the DT's).

TheReverend
09-11-2012, 07:32 AM

Those rip off artists should be the last ones bitching about content.

lolcopter
09-11-2012, 07:56 AM
Unleash the Manning! McCoy just make sure the Gatorade is full and stfu

pricejj
09-11-2012, 08:33 AM
I think Warren's absence allowed Dumervil to get doubled...this could be a problem all season long.

Mediator12
09-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Dumervil did not get doubled that much, Miller got doubled almost every play. Dumervil did not play to his high standards...

DENVERDUI55
09-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Dumervil did not get doubled that much, Miller got doubled almost every play. Dumervil did not play to his high standards...

Does dumervil look a little pudgy and out of shape to you Med? I thought he looked out of shape.

fontaine
09-13-2012, 09:10 AM
I don't see how our LBer coverage is that big a deal.

Yes, Woodyard/Mays didn't look great in coverage but in 5 weeks we get DJ back who (at least) can fill in on passing downs.

Rabb
09-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Those rip off artists should be the last ones b****ing about content.

I like some of their stuff but I am finding more and more that they are some smug and egotistical guys that think a whole lot more of themselves than they need to.

I seriously could read anything Bronco on ESPN or DP and know I will see a follow-up on IAOFM. The love they get is funny to me.

TonyR
09-13-2012, 09:25 AM
I like some of their stuff but...

I understand the criticism but at the same time I think they do some of the best stuff out there on the Broncos. Not that there's much competition, but whose Broncos coverage/analysis is better?

Check out their recent post on the no-huddle. Pretty good stuff IMO.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/fat-camp-thoughts-on-the-no-huddle-and-balanced-offense

Dedhed
09-13-2012, 09:26 AM
I don't see how our LBer coverage is that big a deal.

Yes, Woodyard/Mays didn't look great in coverage but in 5 weeks we get DJ back who (at least) can fill in on passing downs.

Lulz.

ludo21
09-13-2012, 09:31 AM
I like some of their stuff but I am finding more and more that they are some smug and egotistical guys that think a whole lot more of themselves than they need to.

I seriously could read anything Bronco on ESPN or DP and know I will see a follow-up on IAOFM. The love they get is funny to me.

I go there first so I dont have to go all over the net to look for Bronco articles. They find them for me. I like that a lot.

And their analysis about games is usually spot on. Of course we will have differing opinions on some things

hambone13
09-13-2012, 11:18 AM
I understand the criticism but at the same time I think they do some of the best stuff out there on the Broncos. Not that there's much competition, but whose Broncos coverage/analysis is better?

Check out their recent post on the no-huddle. Pretty good stuff IMO.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/fat-camp-thoughts-on-the-no-huddle-and-balanced-offense

It's pretty good but this particular article is an exercise in pontification......on, and on, and on Mr. Madden, 2+2=4.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
09-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Exactly...we played a pretty good Steelers team. they're not creampuffs.

Hard to believe we had so many clowns on here that didn't want Manning at all....now they love him...whatever.

I find it amazing that people in game thread were trashing Moreno for not being able to clone himself and block two blitzers...and trashing Porter, well they were until he intercepted the Rapist and made it a two score game.

And people complaining about the pass rush....well we sacked Rapist 3 consecutive plays...amazing what playing with a lead does for the DL and pass rush when the opposing team becomes one dimensional.

It's only the first game, but given our schedule it's a very good start....

might be because Peyton had a neck injury and the AFC west has such amazing luck with QB who move from one team to another .
i like Peyton wish he was cheaper and wish Tebow could be a pro red shirt qb . he needed more exp and alot of coaching in the off season from the best qb coach he can find and afford. now hes with the jets and still haven't seeked out the best qb coach in the off season.
his loss

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
09-13-2012, 12:10 PM
also thank god Peyton is back to his pre neck injury form or close to it. now can he over come the pats defense or can our defense over come Tom Brady and beat him most likely twice in the season. or will it come down to Eli or some killer nfc defense to stop the cheatriots
bottom line is
I WANT DENVER TO COME HOME WITH A LOMBARDY !!!!!
before age catches up to manning and he has to retire

Bacchus
09-13-2012, 02:19 PM
also thank god Peyton is back to his pre neck injury form or close to it. now can he over come the pats defense or can our defense over come Tom Brady and beat him most likely twice in the season. or will it come down to Eli or some killer nfc defense to stop the cheatriots
bottom line is
I WANT DENVER TO COME HOME WITH A LOMBARDY !!!!!
before age catches up to manning and he has to retire

Yeah, that is what we are all hoping for. Even if it doesn't happen it is going to be a hell of a ride.

errand
09-13-2012, 02:37 PM
might be because Peyton had a neck injury

Not all who resisted the QB change did so because they were concerned with his ability to come back from neck surgeries.....