PDA

View Full Version : Jake Plummer visits, Hanie taking 3rd string reps

crush17
09-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Potential roster moves. NFL teams often take advantage of a provision in the collective bargaining agreement just before the season opener to save a little guaranteed salary. By league rules, all vested players ( players with four or more seasons accrued in the league) on the roster for the regular-season opener have their base salaries guaranteed. So, at times, teams will release one or more of those veteran players who are not expected to play in the game Sunday, and then re-sign them Monday. For the Broncos, Caleb Hanie, who has worked as the No. 3 quarterback this week, and linebacker Keith Brooking fit the profile. Hanie is in his fifth season, Brooking his 14th. Brooking missed virtually all of the preseason with a hamstring injury. Asked Friday if Brooking was healthy enough to play, Broncos coach John Fox said, "He's not on the injury report."

Read more: Jake Plummer, who now lives in Boulder, visits with Denver Broncos - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21494279/jake-plummer-who-now-lives-boulder-visits-denver#ixzz25tDlkadL) http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21494279/jake-plummer-who-now-lives-boulder-visits-denver#ixzz25tDlkadL

Paladin
09-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Interesting. If Hanie gets claimed......

TheReverend
09-08-2012, 09:03 AM

Interesting. If Hell froze over......

RhymesayersDU
09-08-2012, 09:04 AM

........nothing will change for us in any meaningful way.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Jake Plummer and Boulder. Peas and carrots.

Dedhed
09-08-2012, 09:33 AM
........nothing will change for us in any meaningful way.

It will change in a meaningful way for someone on the PS, though.

crush17
09-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Jake Plummer and Boulder. Peas and carrots.

Indeed. Bet you he already has a Subaru to replace the Honda Element.

AmericanBroncFan
09-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Potential roster moves. NFL teams often take advantage of a provision in the collective bargaining agreement just before the season opener to save a little guaranteed salary. By league rules, all vested players ( players with four or more seasons accrued in the league) on the roster for the regular-season opener have their base salaries guaranteed. So, at times, teams will release one or more of those veteran players who are not expected to play in the game Sunday, and then re-sign them Monday. For the Broncos, Caleb Hanie, who has worked as the No. 3 quarterback this week, and linebacker Keith Brooking fit the profile. Hanie is in his fifth season, Brooking his 14th. Brooking missed virtually all of the preseason with a hamstring injury. Asked Friday if Brooking was healthy enough to play, Broncos coach John Fox said, "He's not on the injury report."

Read more: Jake Plummer, who now lives in Boulder, visits with Denver Broncos - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21494279/jake-plummer-who-now-lives-boulder-visits-denver#ixzz25tDlkadL) http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21494279/jake-plummer-who-now-lives-boulder-visits-denver#ixzz25tDlkadL

That sounds like a chicken **** way to do a guy or run a business.

That One Guy
09-08-2012, 11:06 AM

They'd be foolish to do that to a guy who got a signing bonus. At that point, if he's #3 anyways, he'd be better off to just wait for an injury and the Broncos would be left looking like a fool.

I can't really think of any recent examples where players were actually cut in the day or two before the 1st game for that reason. Usually it pertains more to teams just waiting to take a chance on an aging player.

Jay3
09-08-2012, 11:09 AM

You can only get away with it if the guy would clear waivers. So the technique can only be used for guys that all 31 other teams would pass on. Such a guy is not in much of a position to complain.

crush17
09-08-2012, 12:22 PM
They just cut Hanie, plan on re-signing him on Monday. Haha wow.

Beantown Bronco
09-08-2012, 12:25 PM
They'd be foolish to do that to a guy who got a signing bonus. At that point, if he's #3 anyways, he'd be better off to just wait for an injury and the Broncos would be left looking like a fool.

I can't really think of any recent examples where players were actually cut in the day or two before the 1st game for that reason. Usually it pertains more to teams just waiting to take a chance on an aging player.

Chad Mustard says "hi".

That One Guy
09-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Chad Mustard says "hi".

LOL

Different scenario entirely. That guy was on and off the roster so much, it can't be used as evidence of anything.

That One Guy
09-08-2012, 12:53 PM
They just cut Hanie, plan on re-signing him on Monday. Haha wow.

Well, not the first time I've ever been wrong.

I just don't understand how that makes sense. It must just be Hanie being a good team player but when the whole idea is to limit the player's ability to claim wages, I don't understand how/why he would be willing to go along with it.

crush17
09-08-2012, 01:00 PM

I just don't understand how that makes sense. It must just be Hanie being a good team player but when the whole idea is to limit the player's ability to claim wages, I don't understand how/why he would be willing to go along with it.

uhhh, its called "you don't have a choice"

RhymesayersDU
09-08-2012, 01:15 PM
uhhh, its called "you don't have a choice"

Yeah. It was mentioned in the other thread but it makes perfect sense. It was probably this or be cut for good, and whatever his base salary is for the rest of the year beats $0.

lonestar
09-08-2012, 01:18 PM

obviuos you have never done so.. run a business that is..

**** happens move on

BowlenBall
09-09-2012, 12:59 AM

Absolutely no danger in another team grabbing him off waivers... no downside, all upside for the Broncos. If he doesn't like it, tough titty -- that's what he gets for being worse than 80 other quarterbacks in the league.

Beantown Bronco
09-09-2012, 10:41 AM
LOL

Different scenario entirely. That guy was on and off the roster so much, it can't be used as evidence of anything.

It fits the criteria perfectly though.

Lestat
09-09-2012, 02:43 PM
a NFL team saving money? shocking