PDA

View Full Version : Denver Defense is "definitely mediocre, possibly lousy"

ludo21
09-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Bill Simmons (man i hate him, but enjoy reading his pieces)

13. Peyton Manning
I wanted to leave him off, I fully expected to leave him off, and yet I couldn't leave him off. Even the chance of him morphing back into the old Manning has to be this season's most compelling football story. (Sorry, Every Network Trying To Cram The Jets' Backup QB Down Our Throats.)1 In my West Coast fantasy auction on Tuesday night, I threw Manning out for two bucks and the room went silent — nobody knew what to expect. He ended up going for eight bucks. Was it a steal? Was it like setting eight bucks on fire? Nobody knew.

The case against Manning's 2012 revival: Shouldn't we worry that he's throwing the ball just about as well as he did two seasons ago, before spinal fusion surgery nearly ended his career … you know, when he submitted his worst season in 12 years and secretly wasn't that good? Or that a man of routine — someone who spent his entire career in the same city, with a stable supporting cast and coaching system, with a weatherproof dome for home games — suddenly got uprooted to a West Coast team that plays outdoors? Or that there's a big difference between Marvin Harrison in his prime, Reggie Wayne in his prime … and Eric "Why the Hell Are You Taking Me So High In Your Fantasy Draft" Decker? Or that no 35-and-over QB truly carried a contender's offense with one exception (Brett Favre with the 2010 Vikings, who was playing indoors with Adrian Peterson flanking him), but Manning would genuinely have to carry the 2012 Broncos for them to accomplish anything? Or that even Manning, at one point, believed there wasn't any way he could actually make it back?

If Manning does regain his old form (or most of it), that would have to rank among the most incredible comebacks in recent sports history. Judy Battista's recent story about him banged that point home: Not only was Manning struggling to throw a basic spiral, his shame led him to play secret games of catch with college friends who weren't even football players. The guy had to think he was done, right? So it's hard not to get swept up in this comeback. I include myself — a die-hard Pats fan and Brady Kool-Aid drinker who sports-hated the Manning brothers so much at one point that I even started rooting against Daniel Manning just out of principle. I missed rooting against Peyton last year, and if you want to know the truth, I missed gambling on him watching him. Was there a surer thing in football than Peyton eviscerating some patsy on a Monday night?

So it's nice to have him back. Just don't let it shift your attention away from Denver's defense (definitely mediocre, possibly lousy), running game (shaky, to say the least) and undeniable potential for regression (severe considering how many victories Tebow pulled out from his sphincter last season). The 2012 Broncos aren't as good as the 2011 Broncos. Which means they need 2006 Manning, not 2010 Manning, just to make the playoffs. If he pulls it off, the "Greatest QB of All Time" conversation will have shifted again. I can't see it happening, but somehow, a 36-year-old QB with a fused spine and a mediocre supporting cast can't be totally disregarded, either. That's all you need to know about the Peyton Manning era.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8347893/the-new-quarterbacks-league

BroncoInferno
09-07-2012, 11:42 AM
I actually like the looks of our D this year. Linebacker is definitely not a great looking unit, but DL and secondary look more talented and deeper than they have in awhile.

yerner
09-07-2012, 11:45 AM
i like bill simmons, but he knows nothing about football. barely knows most teams rosters. he is a nba junkie that dabbles badly in other sports.

2KBack
09-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Simmons is a good writer...he just isn't an analyst at all. He likely bases his entire opinion of Denver's Defense on the 2 NE games.

Br0nc0Buster
09-07-2012, 12:00 PM
I am really looking forward to our defense, I think it is flying under the radar

I definitely disagree that last year's team was better than this year's team will be

Outside of Manning getting hurt I do not really see how one could make a case that we are a worse team than a year ago

menonite
09-07-2012, 12:02 PM
If Manning plays liek he did two years ago when he "secretly wasn't that good" the Broncos will win the SB.

2009 33 TD's 16 INT's 4500 Yrds = MVP
2010 33 Td's 17 INT's 4700 Yrds = "secretly wasn't that good"

The 2011 Colts were the exact same team Manning dragged into the playoffs and to the SB previously. Without him you see what they accomplished last year.

Over the last few years the Colts drafted poorly, had zero run game, a porous defense, and a coach in Caldwell who had no business having his job. And Manning made them contenders every year.

WolfpackGuy
09-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Man, fugg that guy!

Not having to spend entire halves of games on the field will do wonders for the defense this season.

broncocalijohn
09-07-2012, 12:06 PM
So our team last year is better than this year? Who did we lose besides Hawkins that we didn't replace for better or the same? Von Miller is going to be better, our DL looks a hell of lot better, QB....puhleeaze, RBs if Moreno stays healthy and our WOs are the same. We just don't have much depth at LB or WO. Stay healthy my 2012 Broncos!

Kaylore
09-07-2012, 12:08 PM
1. When did we become a west coast team?

2. "The 2012 Broncos aren't as good as the 2011 Broncos." - Hysterical

SonOfLe-loLang
09-07-2012, 12:12 PM
I'd love to know what this is based on. 1) last years D wasnt "lousy" 2) we improved from a personnel standpoint 3) we showed well in the preseason...so?

Beantown Bronco
09-07-2012, 12:14 PM

And 3: "no 35-and-over QB truly carried a contender's offense with one exception (Brett Favre with the 2010 Vikings, who was playing indoors with Adrian Peterson flanking him)"

What about Kurt Warner in Arizona? He was 37 when he led them to the SB.

LRtagger
09-07-2012, 12:17 PM
The 2012 Broncos aren't as good as the 2011 Broncos.

http://www.lolwut.com/layout/lolwut.jpg

*WARHORSE*
09-07-2012, 12:17 PM
LBer may be our undoing.........but Im good with the Dline. If healthy, it will get better and better.

Rajah dat.

Garcia Bronco
09-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Bill simmons? New England homer....he's still sour about getting his PAtriot ass handed to him after the playoffs when Jake Plummer kicked Joe Louis' ass.

Rulon Velvet Jones
09-07-2012, 12:25 PM
In this passing league, do you have a QB that can move the chains and toss TDs coupled with a pass rush that can stop the other team from doing the same? Then yeah, you'll be in good shape. Denver has both.

DBroncos4life
09-07-2012, 12:28 PM
In before RhymesayersDU

Lestat
09-07-2012, 12:31 PM
i swear to God, we're the only team in the league that has had it's primary focus in the media be based upon body parts.
last year it was Tebow's penis and this year it's Peyton's neck.

SoCalBronco
09-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Where are all the Bill Simmons lovers on this board? Tony....sonoflelolang...Inferno what say you?

55CrushEm
09-07-2012, 12:48 PM
And 3: "no 35-and-over QB truly carried a contender's offense with one exception (Brett Favre with the 2010 Vikings, who was playing indoors with Adrian Peterson flanking him)"

What about Kurt Warner in Arizona? He was 37 when he led them to the SB.

And correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Tom Terrific 35 now? So what are his thoughts on NE?

Tombstone RJ
09-07-2012, 12:49 PM
In before RhymesayersDU

:notworthy

Lestat
09-07-2012, 12:51 PM
And correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Tom Terrific 35 now? So what are his thoughts on NE?

:spit: see John Elway win two Super Bowls after age 35(he was 38 when he retired) i know we had TD who was a beast but Elway was still carrying us.

SonOfLe-loLang
09-07-2012, 12:53 PM
Where are all the Bill Simmons lovers on this board? Tony....sonoflelolang...Inferno what say you?

I commented above! I find Simmons entertaining, he's not above being full of ****, just like every other sports writer out there

Jetmeck
09-07-2012, 12:55 PM
guy is stupid, we are obviously better on both sides of the ball

RhymesayersDU
09-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Simmons rules. That doesn't make him correct here.

But with most of the halfwits on this board, everything is an all or nothing proposition.

Remember, all these same comments about him being dumb, a homer, etc, were said last year when he predicted NE would blow us out in the playoffs. Funny, not many people revisited that thread after the game.

Tombstone RJ
09-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Simmons rules. That doesn't make him correct here.

But with most of the halfwits on this board, everything is an all or nothing proposition.

Remember, all these same comments about him being dumb, a homer, etc, were said last year when he predicted NE would blow us out in the playoffs. Funny, not many people revisited that thread after the game.

:clown:

thanks clowny

BroncoInferno
09-07-2012, 01:03 PM

See post #2. Simmons is a good writer, but this ain't his best work. And to Simmons credit, he fully admits he's a New England homer and a long-time Manning hater, so he's not trying to hide his bias.

SoCalBronco
09-07-2012, 01:08 PM
I commented above! I find Simmons entertaining, he's not above being full of ****, just like every other sports writer out there

Fair enough.

broncosteven
09-07-2012, 01:31 PM

Anyone in the East Coast Timezone thinks Denver is a west coast team, they are usually at their whorehouses snorting coke off their whore's butt by the time the late games start.

bronco militia
09-07-2012, 01:34 PM
http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/bradyswallows.png

Chris
09-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Anyone in the East Coast Timezone thinks Denver is a west coast team, they are usually at their whorehouses snorting coke off their whore's butt by the time the late games start.

What's that? *sniiffffffffffffffffffffffffff*

DBroncos4life
09-07-2012, 01:52 PM
:clown:

thanks clowny

Yeah RhymesayersDU calls everyone here tools but, that turdburger has more threads in the butt outside of poster named bob.

Shotgun Willie
09-07-2012, 02:08 PM

Funny you should say that. Matt Prater is here in the champagne room and says "hi" by the way.....

broncocalijohn
09-07-2012, 02:10 PM
See post #2. Simmons is a good writer, but this ain't his best work. And to Simmons credit, he fully admits he's a New England homer and a long-time Manning hater, so he's not trying to hide his bias.

Well, he hid his brain on this one. You can be a homer and still see a team's defense or the team from the previous year has gotten better.

Kid A
09-07-2012, 02:27 PM
His reservations about Manning are fair enough. Preseason left me optimistic, but it's a big question mark to a lot of people around the country.

But the assertion that the 2011 team was better? No clue how you could begin to argue that with upgrades at TE, d-line, CB and tons of youth at WR, o-line, safety that should get better with another year. Lousy defense? I guess he last saw us getting whipped by his New England team, but still doesn't match up with most other evidence of improvement.

But, then again, he also says Russell Wilson will take Seattle to the Super Bowl this year, so how irate should we really be about anything in a column obviously bent toward bold, controversial opinions?

Dexter
09-07-2012, 02:31 PM
LBer may be our undoing.........but Im good with the Dline. If healthy, it will get better and better.

Rajah dat.

I must be the only one around here that kinda likes our LB corps. The fact that we re-signed Mays after hiring Del Rio speaks volumes to me about the confidence they have Mays can be a more solid player for us. Especially since we decided we wanted him back over signing Jameel McClain.

WW isn't a terrible player, I like Trevathan, who knows what we have in Brooking. And We get DJ back in the middle to end of the year...

Von Miler - Nothing needs to be said here.

Maybe I'm just a homer though. :ouwknow:

NFLBRONCO
09-07-2012, 03:04 PM

LOL how funny esp #2.

RhymesayersDU
09-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Yeah RhymesayersDU calls everyone here tools but, that turdburger has more threads in the butt outside of poster named bob.

Says the guy who never gets the joke.

Let me guess, you take rep seriously too?

Bacchus
09-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Bill Simmons (man i hate him, but enjoy reading his pieces)

13. Peyton Manning
I wanted to leave him off, I fully expected to leave him off, and yet I couldn't leave him off. Even the chance of him morphing back into the old Manning has to be this season's most compelling football story. (Sorry, Every Network Trying To Cram The Jets' Backup QB Down Our Throats.)1 In my West Coast fantasy auction on Tuesday night, I threw Manning out for two bucks and the room went silent — nobody knew what to expect. He ended up going for eight bucks. Was it a steal? Was it like setting eight bucks on fire? Nobody knew.

The case against Manning's 2012 revival: Shouldn't we worry that he's throwing the ball just about as well as he did two seasons ago, before spinal fusion surgery nearly ended his career … you know, when he submitted his worst season in 12 years and secretly wasn't that good? Or that a man of routine — someone who spent his entire career in the same city, with a stable supporting cast and coaching system, with a weatherproof dome for home games — suddenly got uprooted to a West Coast team that plays outdoors? Or that there's a big difference between Marvin Harrison in his prime, Reggie Wayne in his prime … and Eric "Why the Hell Are You Taking Me So High In Your Fantasy Draft" Decker? Or that no 35-and-over QB truly carried a contender's offense with one exception (Brett Favre with the 2010 Vikings, who was playing indoors with Adrian Peterson flanking him), but Manning would genuinely have to carry the 2012 Broncos for them to accomplish anything? Or that even Manning, at one point, believed there wasn't any way he could actually make it back?

If Manning does regain his old form (or most of it), that would have to rank among the most incredible comebacks in recent sports history. Judy Battista's recent story about him banged that point home: Not only was Manning struggling to throw a basic spiral, his shame led him to play secret games of catch with college friends who weren't even football players. The guy had to think he was done, right? So it's hard not to get swept up in this comeback. I include myself — a die-hard Pats fan and Brady Kool-Aid drinker who sports-hated the Manning brothers so much at one point that I even started rooting against Daniel Manning just out of principle. I missed rooting against Peyton last year, and if you want to know the truth, I missed gambling on him watching him. Was there a surer thing in football than Peyton eviscerating some patsy on a Monday night?

So it's nice to have him back. Just don't let it shift your attention away from Denver's defense (definitely mediocre, possibly lousy), running game (shaky, to say the least) and undeniable potential for regression (severe considering how many victories Tebow pulled out from his sphincter last season). The 2012 Broncos aren't as good as the 2011 Broncos. Which means they need 2006 Manning, not 2010 Manning, just to make the playoffs. If he pulls it off, the "Greatest QB of All Time" conversation will have shifted again. I can't see it happening, but somehow, a 36-year-old QB with a fused spine and a mediocre supporting cast can't be totally disregarded, either. That's all you need to know about the Peyton Manning era.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8347893/the-new-quarterbacks-league

Although being said he then predicts Denver to beat Pittsburgh.

BRONCOS (+2) over Steelers
Revised Gambling Rule No. 39: "Never bet against Peyton Manning at home during a nationally televised night game, not even after he's had four neck surgeries and can't totally turn to his right."

SonOfLe-loLang
09-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Although being said he then predicts Denver to beat Pittsburgh.

BRONCOS (+2) over Steelers
Revised Gambling Rule No. 39: "Never bet against Peyton Manning at home during a nationally televised night game, not even after he's had four neck surgeries and can't totally turn to his right."

Where did the "he cant turn/throw to his right" thing even start?

ZONA
09-07-2012, 03:27 PM

If only he started out with that line. That way anybody who knows football would have known this article is FOS (full of sh_t) and they would have stopped reading.

Chris
09-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Can't wait for Peyton to go on SNL and "not be able to turn to his right".

Bacillus Anthracis
09-07-2012, 03:30 PM
The most un-talked about improvement for Denver is Jack Del Rio. In today's NFL, the talent levels are pretty equal so it means that with the exception of quarterback, it's coaching that makes the difference between winning and losing. And Del Rio is a good defensive coach (unless he's having his players throwing axes around the locker room http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1634325 ).

Denver's D should be as good or better than last year. The biggest question mark is still Manning though. If he isn't back and ready to go, it's not going to matter how good the defense is.

Lestat
09-07-2012, 03:34 PM

training camp, writers started talking about it then when they were saying he doesn't have the same zip on his throws and struggled to the right.

Houshyamama
09-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Any analysts' prediction is worth a grain of salt, Simmons' is worth even less. He's an entertainer, a writer, not an analyst. I don't think he really knows that much about the game. He's entertaining though and a Pats homer, of course he's going to rub a Broncos fan the wrong way from time to time.

TNF
09-07-2012, 04:00 PM
I like Simmons as a writer. He's wrong here.

cmhargrove
09-07-2012, 04:04 PM
We will certainly be tested with Manning playing his first full game against the Steelers defense, but the biggest factor so far has been the consistently good play we have seen from the O-line.

If we can manage to sustain Manning's time in the pocket (like the preseason), everything will fall into place. The passing game, the run game, the pass rush, etc.. We are now going to live an die on the number of seconds afforded Manning in the pocket.

Needless to say, I am much more optimistic than the author (which gave more opinion than actual fact). I'm so pumped for Sunday's game to get the Manning era officially started.

DivineLegion
09-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Training camp and the ambiturning quarterback myth.

First of all when did we pick up Derek Zoolander as our QB?

Breakdown:
The primary reciever to Mannings right was D.Thomas a majority of the time. Thomas has been observed as an incredibly gifted athlete who needs work polishing his routes.

+

Champ Bailey, a HOF corner who's deceptive speed and ball skills are lethal against unpolished recievers (see Champs history against Chad Johnson). Champ owns the left sideline, which subsequently is the offenses right.

=

Increased potential for miscommunication between a receiver and his QB (only the team knows who's at fault 90% of the time), and a lack of confidence throwing in said direction by even a future HOF QB. The preseason highlighted the flaws in Mr. Claytons argument when Peyton was equally effective throwing to both sidelines. The simple deduction for me is not only was John Clayton's observation far fetched, it was completely lacking in depth. If I'm not mistaken the throw Peyton made early in camp that spawned a flurry of fluff pieces featuring quotes from Champ and Mike Adams, was a throw to Peyton's right. The throw was so precise that it left to veteran defensive backs wondering if Peyton Manning was human must have happened on one of the twenty some odd days that Clayton didnt stop by out of twenty some even days of camp. Quality reporting for ESPN is rumor laden garbage off minial samples propogated by nieve beatniks with abbreviated knowledge of the game.

LRtagger
09-07-2012, 04:30 PM

http://www.ridethepine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/IMG_0104.jpg

errand
09-07-2012, 05:22 PM

See, they have to qualify it...they cannot say a QB over 35 has never won the SB...because it has happened, so they use the qualifier of "after switching teams"

barryr
09-07-2012, 05:59 PM
The defense does have question marks and does need to prove they are better. I would be surprised though if they can't rank somewhere in the top 15 at least.

Kaylore
09-07-2012, 06:49 PM

And do you know how he came that conclusion? In the preseason he hadn't completed any passes to the right side of the field and therefore Clayton concluded he was "unable" to do so. Nevermind the human body doesn't work that way, it's a ridiculous conclusion to draw regardless. Great analysis, Clayton. Your Mom says dinner's ready.

razorwire77
09-07-2012, 07:06 PM
The 2012 Broncos aren't as good as the 2011 Broncos.

That in itself makes no sense. Worst case it's the same team with a healthy Doom, Von Miller returning as one of the five most exciting young players in the league (and a year wiser) Ty Warren actually playing, an upgraded no. 2 CB and a certain Peyton ****ing Manning starting at the quarterback position. That doesn't even take into consideration if MethWolfe, Hillman, or any of the rookies contribute right away.

UberBroncoMan
09-07-2012, 07:31 PM
"Will the Seahawks win 11-12 games? I say yes.

Will they win the NFC West? I say yes.

Will they make the Super Bowl? (Deep breath.) YES! I'm picking a Ravens-Seahawks Super Bowl. And if when it happens, you'll hear more about Wilson than any other quarterback this season: More than Brady, more than Rodgers, more than Peyton Manning, more than Tim Teb— actually, you won't hear more about Wilson than Tim Tebow. ESPN and the NFL Network will make that impossible. But everyone else? Hell yeah! And on that note, let's breeze through the Week 1 picks …"

Let's calm down. He's just spewing up **** to create conversation.

TonyR
09-07-2012, 09:06 PM

I do love me some Simmons. But not his best work here with respect to the Broncos. I think his reservations about Manning are legit though, but hopefully wrong. But the team not as good this year? That part doesn't make any more sense than the "West Coast team" comment. Ridiculously tough schedule and a scary lack of depth in places would have been more legit criticisms. And I guess he thinks our defense sucks because the Pats destroyed it twice last season.

Taco John
09-07-2012, 09:17 PM
This has to be the worst Bleacher Report article I've seen all year.

broncocalijohn
09-07-2012, 09:45 PM
This has to be the worst Bleacher Report article I've seen all year.

Actually, if this was BR, we would have said that it was their best work all year. Yes, they are that bad but someone here will find the need to link an article from that crap.

fdf
09-07-2012, 10:12 PM

To folks on the east coast, we're "over there somewhere." Which must be somewhere near the west coast.

Agamemnon
09-08-2012, 01:46 AM
When did we become a west coast team?

Of all the things he said, that was the one that puzzled me the most. Denver is like a thousand miles from the Pacific Ocean...

KipCorrington25
09-08-2012, 08:49 AM
I'd rather these experts think we will suck than think we will go to the Super Bowl.

Gort
09-08-2012, 08:50 AM

i'm pretty sure he is a Simpsons character.

NFLBRONCO
09-08-2012, 09:49 AM
I look at this way we are a mediocre D until we prove week in week out we are actually better unit. On paper I think we are but, how they play this season will tell us how far along we really are.

Fight_On!
09-08-2012, 10:21 AM
LMAO! If this article was bagging on the Raiders, Queefs, or Dolts.....most of you would agree with Bill 100%. Since it's a negative article on the Donkeys....now this guy is an idiot. LMAO....homerism....no message board is immune to it. ROFL!

Fight_On!
09-08-2012, 10:22 AM
I look at this way we are a mediocre D until we prove week in week out we are actually better unit. On paper I think we are but, how they play this season will tell us how far along we really are.

Bingo...exactly....and that goes for all teams. By week 3 or 4 you should know the direction the team is going.

RhymesayersDU
09-08-2012, 11:37 AM
LMAO! If this article was bagging on the Raiders, Queefs, or Dolts.....most of you would agree with Bill 100%. Since it's a negative article on the Donkeys....now this guy is an idiot. LMAO....homerism....no message board is immune to it. ROFL!

Welcome to the OMane party!

crush17
09-08-2012, 11:38 AM

obvious post is obvious.

dumb raider fan is dumb.

DBroncos4life
09-08-2012, 11:47 AM

I doubt it would even be posted on here if it was about those teams dumbass.

cutthemdown
09-08-2012, 12:05 PM
It's hard to predict defense based on paper. We don't know if Warren is still an above avg tackle. How much have the young safety's improved, if any? How much better, if any, is Porter at CB? Is the rookie Wolfe going to play well?

So if none of those things work out we probably wouldn't be very good. But the chance is there that these questions could work out in Broncos favor.

IMO they have really worked hard on the defense since Elway came on board. It's going to pay off this yr. Finally we will be excited when our defense hits the field instead of being worried.

Fight_On!
09-08-2012, 12:13 PM
I doubt it would even be posted on here if it was about those teams dumbass.

LOL Someone is a little pissy. LOL

But, really..... there are articles on this board posted by donkey fans that are "negative" about rival teams.....don't kid yourself. ;D