PDA

View Full Version : Elway's early draft returns

baja
09-07-2012, 06:32 AM
Elway has been very clear that this team needed at least three years to rebuild, and that he has planned to do so via the draft.

So far, so good.

Theyíve achieved what seems to be an unusually high percentage of success so far. Itís early, though - drafts are usually best considered after three years.

What follows is just a glance at Ďso farí.

1. Von Miller, Pick 2. The first pick of the Elway era was the DROY in 2011, starting Sam linebacker, and an amazing pass rusher who is working hard on his run defense and coverage skills. Miller is already a superstar.

2. Rahim Moore, Pick 45. After a tough rookie year, heís in the mix to start at safety this season. Has built up his body and studied film incessantly, and itís shown in camp and in preseason games. He should see plenty of playing time this year.

3. Orlando Franklin, Pick 46. Big O provides some badly needed toughness on the OL, currently as the starting right tackle. Perhaps eventually a better guard than RT, he had the teamís best offensive line run yardage in 2011 through his position at 6.0 YPC. An excellent starter with the potential to get even better, he showed that his technique has improved this preseason.

4. Nate Irving, Pick 67. Irving struggled in 2011 and like Moore, worked very hard in the offseason to improve his body and his film room work. Looks like a contributor in the 2012 season. He struggles to handle lateral movement, but heís a good backup. I think that he will have to improve or be left behind in the next two years, though - the team is getting stronger and bringing in new options such as young middle linebacker Steven Johnson.

5. Quinton Carter, Pick 108. ĎQí started 10 games in 2011 and was a key contributor during the Broncos' winning streak. He had an arthroscopic clean-out of his knee while solving a hamstring problem during training camp; he should return and compete to start again in 2012. An easy roster lock, I look for him to settle into the safety rotation.

The rest of the picks here;

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/a-second-helping-of-john-elways-early-draft-returns

baja
09-07-2012, 06:33 AM
I'd say John Elway is doing a stellar job so far.

baja
09-07-2012, 06:35 AM
Only one player (Mike Mohamed) out of two draft classes is gone from the team.

oubronco
09-07-2012, 07:01 AM
Of the 16 players chosen since John Elway took over running Denver's football operations, only Mike Mohamed is outside the team's current and future plans. Only Blake and Osweiler aren’t expected to contribute in the 2012 season.

This is outstanding

Baba Booey
09-07-2012, 07:32 AM
I can't wait for him to draft another draft/free agent class to the mix.

Heading in the right direction for sure.

TonyR
09-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Of the 16 players chosen since John Elway took over running Denver's football operations, only Mike Mohamed is outside the team's current and future plans. Only Blake and Osweiler arenít expected to contribute in the 2012 season.

This is outstanding

I agree, but we really need Moore and/or Irving to step way up this year or the 2011 draft won't look all that good.

s0phr0syne
09-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Very generous on the R. Moore and Nate Irving picks. I guess with Moore, at least I have some hope. I never saw anything from Nate Irving before the draft, and I'm still waiting for him to show ANYTHING. His draft pedigree might be the only thing that kept him over Obiozor or whoever else.

bronco militia
09-07-2012, 07:51 AM
mehhhh.....it's way to early to tell if John knows what he's doing. Josh Mcdaniels was doing ok going into his 2nd year.

BroncoBen
09-07-2012, 07:55 AM
Of the 16 players chosen since John Elway took over running Denver's football operations, only Mike Mohamed is outside the team's current and future plans. Only Blake and Osweiler arenít expected to contribute in the 2012 season.

This is outstanding

And you figure Blake was drafted more for depth than to start... Osweiler could prove to be the wildcard in all of this.. he was drafted to be the heir apparent to Manning. If all goes as planned Osweiler won't be seen on the field for 3-4 years.

DBroncos4life
09-07-2012, 08:03 AM
mehhhh.....it's way to early to tell if John knows what he's doing. Josh Mcdaniels was doing ok going into his 2nd year.

OK at what removing talent from the Broncos? McD was dog**** a week into the job.

Drek
09-07-2012, 08:10 AM
OK at what removing talent from the Broncos? McD was dog**** a week into the job.

4 of McDaniels first 5 picks in the '10 draft are starters on this team, the other was our starting QB who won a playoff game last year.

Also, Nate Irving is probably never going to be anything at this point. He looks like the NFL game is too fast for him in all ways. Sucks, but he's already going down the Terry Pierce road of moving to SOLB and Pierce was blocked by Big Al, not Joe freakin' Mays.

bronco militia
09-07-2012, 08:11 AM

I'm talking about his two drafts going into his 2nd season opener.

Yeah josh was a ****ing retard, but at the same point in 2010 Josh's drafts were not considered dog **** until 2011.

LRtagger
09-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Waitaweiler

I lol'd

Drunken.Broncoholic
09-07-2012, 08:14 AM
Mcdaniels blew up the offense before even one draft. Making those solid positions a position of need for those 2 drafts. To say he did good? He failed the day he was hired.

bronco militia
09-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Mcdaniels blew up the offense before even one draft. Making those solid positions a position of need for those 2 drafts. To say he did good? He failed the day he was hired.

yeah thanks for the recap. hindsight is always 20/20.

again, going into the 2010 opener, not many had a problem with Josh's drafts.

DBroncos4life
09-07-2012, 08:17 AM
4 of McDaniels first 5 picks in the '10 draft are starters on this team, the other was our starting QB who won a playoff game last year.

Also, Nate Irving is probably never going to be anything at this point. He looks like the NFL game is too fast for him in all ways. Sucks, but he's already going down the Terry Pierce road of moving to SOLB and Pierce was blocked by Big Al, not Joe freakin' Mays.

STFU. 2 of those starters are the weakest starters on this team and possibliy the worst two OL players in the whole NFL! You are so ****ing blind for a coach that damn near ****ed up our team for years.

DBroncos4life
09-07-2012, 08:25 AM

We have 4 starters out of 19 draft picks. He had 8 picks in the first two rounds alone. That is fail. Anyone defending his drafts is ****ing nuts.

Drunken.Broncoholic
09-07-2012, 08:31 AM

I had a problem with his very first pick in the draft right out the gate. A lot of people did. There's a reason he's not in charge of drafts anymore. One of them being his stubbornly narrow approach to them.

Drunken.Broncoholic
09-07-2012, 08:33 AM
We have 4 starters out of 19 draft picks. He had 8 picks in the first two rounds alone. That is fail. Anyone defending his drafts is ****ing nuts.

Exactly.

bronco militia
09-07-2012, 08:35 AM
LOL...you guys are being ****ing morons.

go back to September 2010. The broncos had most of their 2009 and 2010 draft picks still on the roster or practice squad. All I'm saying is that it's too early to tell if John Elways two draft classes will be that much better.

DBroncos4life
09-07-2012, 08:40 AM

go back to September 2010. The broncos had most of their 2009 and 2010 draft picks still on the roster or practice squad. All I'm saying is that it's too early to tell if John Elways two draft classes will be that much better.

I know they were on our roster because we finished with 4 wins that year.

bronco militia
09-07-2012, 08:44 AM
I know they were on our roster because we finished with 4 wins that year.

hey guess what! I knew josh was a ****ing retard the day he traded Cutler.

WOOOOHOOOOOOO I KNEW IT BEFORE YOU!

:clown:

DBroncos4life
09-07-2012, 08:47 AM
hey guess what! I knew josh was a ****ing retard the day he traded Cutler.

WOOOOHOOOOOOO I KNEW IT BEFORE YOU!

:clown:

I knew he was a retard when he called about trading for Cassel. That was BEFORE he traded Cutler so I win.LOL

Drunken.Broncoholic
09-07-2012, 08:48 AM

So you aren't saying mcdaniels drafts were good, just saying at the time they "looked" good? I see your point if that's the case in describing Elways performance so far. But for me, at the time mcDs drafts didn't look good to me.

BowlenBall
09-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Waaaaay too early to grade any of the draft picks from 2011 and 2012.

That being said, here are my grades:

Von Miller: A+
Rahim Moore: D
Orlando Franklin: B+
Nate Irving: F
Quinton Carter: B+
Julius Thomas: F (given that they traded UP to get him)
Mike Mohammed: D-
Virgil Green: B+
Jeremy Beal: B-

Derek Wolfe: A+
Brock Osweiler: B
Ronnie Hillman: A (my adopt-a-Bronco)
Omar Bolden: C+
Philip Blake: D-
Malik Jackson: A
Danny Trevathan: A+

Am elated at how well Elway & company have drafted so far... we need to give some props to Matt Russell as well (you know, the guy actually in charge of pro personnel?)

bronco militia
09-07-2012, 09:03 AM
So you aren't saying mcdaniels drafts were good, just saying at the time they "looked" good? I see your point if that's the case in describing Elways performance so far. But for me, at the time mcDs drafts didn't look good to me.

ok

all in all, and I'm not that impressed with the last 4 Broncos drafts. 2010 would be my vote as the best of the 4

Drunken.Broncoholic
09-07-2012, 09:18 AM
ok

all in all, and I'm not that impressed with the last 4 Broncos drafts. 2010 would be my vote as the best of the 4

It would have to be if decker and DT continue to develop. But Walton and Beadles are still the weaker links of the line. But as of right now it looks like it. 09 gets wiped out the moment McD trades a 1st round pick for Alphonso smith. 11 draft may hold an all pro or better but it's harder to miss on a 2nd pick as to a 25th pick. Franklin and moore can make this draft look way better if they improve. 12 draft has yet to be determined due to no playing time yet.

bronco militia
09-07-2012, 09:23 AM
It would have to be if decker and DT continue to develop. But Walton and Beadles are still the weaker links of the line. But as of right now it looks like it. 09 gets wiped out the moment McD trades a 1st round pick for Alphonso smith. 11 draft may hold an all pro or better but it's harder to miss on a 2nd pick as to a 25th pick. Franklin and moore can make this draft look way better if they improve. 12 draft has yet to be determined due to no playing time yet.

I agree 100%!

Requiem
09-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Well, Elway said it would take three years, so let's take a look:

Year One:

Von Miller and Orlando Franklin did well as rookies last year. Carter got a lot of playing time and seemed to be developing quite well. Hopefully Moore can get it. I'm not sure if Nate Irving will be anything but a back-up player. Chris Harris was an excellent find. This looks like it has the potential to be one of the best classes we have had in a long time.

Year Two:

Hopefully Wolfe and Hillman can be good contributors this year, as well as Malik Jackson and Omar Bolden. If Trevathan and Johnson can get some good experience, that'll solidify the draft/udfa class even more. The roster was pretty much in shambles post-McDaniels, so a lot of young players are going to get the opportunity to play. In the long-run, I really hope that Osweiler pans out, because I'd rather have Lavonte David on our team than him now and down the road.

Year Three:

A lot of our draft plans (especially early) will be contigent on whether or not Ryan Clady re-signs. If he doesn't, it makes getting an OT an extremely early priority for us. I am not sure who would be there in free agency. On top of that, we will likely need to draft a stud linebacker early, even if Johnson or Trevathan show promise. I'm guessing those guys will likely be back-ups and special teamers for their careers, which isn't a bad thing considering that Trevathan was a low-round pick and Johnson was a UDFA. We also need interior OL help badly. Kuper (while a good player) has had some injury problems and Beadles and Walton aren't much to write home about. Don't think Blake will ever be a good starter for us either. If Tracy Porter doesn't re-sign, cornerback becomes a huge issue as well. Especially long-term youth guys with starting potential. Wouldn't be against upgrading the DL again either.

Just my 2 cents.

BowlenBall
09-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Von Miller and Orlando Franklin did well as rookies last year. Carter got a lot of playing time and seemed to be developing quite well. Hopefully Moore can get it. I'm not sure if Nate Irving will be anything but a back-up player. Chris Harris was an excellent find.

Hopefully Wolfe and Hillman can be good contributors this year, as well as Malik Jackson and Omar Bolden. If Trevathan and Johnson can get some good experience, that'll solidify the draft/udfa class even more.

The roster was pretty much in shambles post-McDaniels, so a lot of young players are going to get the opportunity to play. In the long-run, I really hope that Osweiler pans out, because I'd rather have Lavonte David on our team than him now and down the road.

Good call here -- David was the clear 'win-now' pick, while Osweiler was the clear 'win later' pick. Will be interesting to track their careers and see which would have been the better choice in 2012.

Requiem
09-07-2012, 09:35 AM
Good call here -- David was the clear 'win-now' pick, while Osweiler was the clear 'win later' pick. Will be interesting to track their careers and see which would have been the better choice in 2012.

I hate the Huskers, but there is no doubt that he can flat out play. When the Bucs traded into the slot that the Eagles had right after we selected Brock, there was no doubt that David was the pick. Perfect fit for the team and will be a great player like Derrick Brooks was for a very long time.

All the pre-draft hype about Osweiler was right though. The Broncos obviously think they have something in him. No doubt that learning under one of, if not the GOAT will be beneficial for him, but when you are drafting that high, you need to take a player who can produce immediately. Given Williams situation, David would have been a smart pick.

Didn't someone say that Xanders actually lobbied for him to be the guy?

Play2win
09-07-2012, 10:28 AM
We have an actual d-line for the first time, since Elway actually played.