PDA

View Full Version : NFL Stadium Experience

houghtam
09-06-2012, 09:30 AM
http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201208/nfl-fan-experience-stadium-home-fantasy-tv

According to the Team Marketing Report's Fan Cost Index, it would have cost $427.42 for a family of four to attend an average game during the 2011 NFL season. That amount takes into account four tickets at an average price, two small beers, four small sodas, four hot dogs, parking, two programs and two adult caps.

Instead of attending all 10 home games, one could have used the money for a Samsung 51-inch, plasma HD television and three top-grain leather theater seats delivered from Best Buy. Add in the DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket Max package for $299.95, and you would still have more than $120 to spend each week on food, beverages and team apparel.

Very interesting and well-written article. Paid attendance has fallen each of the past four years. I used to think, "man it would be nice to have season tickets some day." Now I'll be satisfied to take my son to a game one day just to see what it's like.

RhymesayersDU
09-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Who buys programs and caps at one game, much less every game? Not sure why those are included.

BigPlayShay
09-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Over the course of a season a family will buy 40 hats? $1,200 on hats?

bronco militia
09-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Over the course of a season a family will buy 40 hats? $1,200 on hats?

no doubt...that's a lot of wasted beer money

Rock Chalk
09-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Replace hats with beer, point of the article remains.

ludo21
09-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Love the in game experience, and I am including tailgating before and after.

Not worth it every week, but I would go once a year at least if I could.

houghtam
09-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Replace hats with beer, point of the article remains.

This.

Is this seriously how you people read an article?

"These people spent $40 on memorabilia, I spend $40 on beer. THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT."

RhymesayersDU
09-06-2012, 11:11 AM
This.

"These people spent $40 on memorabilia, I spend $40 on beer. THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT."

Well then why not just say the guy is going to down 6 beers? They included 2 beers already.

Anyways, that isn't the point. Using these averages can be deceiving. My tickets are $53/seat, the cheapest at Mile High I think. However, if you average those with the club seats and lower level seats, the average ticket becomes much higher.

My point here is that just like most things in life, the experience is what you make it. You can go as cheap (to an extent) or as expensive as you want. As stated, my tickets are $53. We have 4 seats. So that's $212. We park for $8. Let's assume we spend another $80 on food and drink. That's an even $300. Or $320 if we go $100 on food. That's still over $100 cheaper than what the article describes.

Look, is $300 for an afternoon a good chunk of change? Sure. But again, you can go cheap if you're committed to it. Often times I eat at my place on before I go. When I was broke in college we snuck in a flask. That's why I'm suspect of figures like these, especially when bull**** like programs, etc. are factored in.

What I'm more interested in is average ticket prices, because that's non negotiable. You have to have a ticket. And even then club prices skew those high when speaking in averages.

broncocalijohn
09-06-2012, 11:19 AM
This.

Yes we do because those that love the live football experience but are on a budget don't need memorabilia or over priced beer at the game. Anyone with a brain can drink a 6 pack in the parking lot for $8. Add the fact that no one hardly takes their wife and two kids. So make it me and my season ticket of $80. I sold the other ticket to one of you Maners for $100 and a six pack. I park for free at the Hotel next to the stadium since I am staying there or take the light rail to hear the inside scoop from Dove Valley on the Broncos if I stay off of Quebec. I donate $6 for food. I buy absolutely nothing at the stadium since I am completely full and semi drunk from the tailgate party. Total cost $60-$70. Hotel room $50 (possibly split with other person). Grand total is $110-$120. Buuuuurp!

Kids and wife are at home playing Nintendo Wii or shopping.

Also, when you buy those 40 hats, you have something that is merchandise and can be used after the game. Everything else is considered for that one moment of the experience. 40 hats? That doesn't include making the playoffs either!

Ambiguous
09-06-2012, 11:31 AM
I didn't even know they sold programs, and I am going to say it's pretty rare to see a family of four going to a game (maybe in preseason).

To me it's worth it, and I do have season tickets. Costs me nowhere near that, considering it's more about tailgating than really seeing the game.

rmsanger
09-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Wow people completely missing the point of the article. Sure you can **** all over the assumptions but the underlying point they're trying to make is that the Avg. cost for a family to attend a season or even 1 game is not worth it!

You can have a similar or better experience at home for much less, which helps to explain ticket sales drop off. There is going to be an inflection point where teams can no longer raise ticket prices and keep relatively full stadiums.

RhymesayersDU
09-06-2012, 12:06 PM
So you get to tell me what something is worth to me?

Thanks chief.

Irish Stout
09-06-2012, 12:08 PM
I read the article and my first thought was: "4 people going to the game for under $450? Thats a great deal!"

Irish Stout
09-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Also, if I can get a 51" Samsung and leather chairs and Directv NFL Max for $299.95, I'll take 3 right ****ing now!!!!

broncocalijohn
09-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Wow people completely missing the point of the article. Sure you can **** all over the assumptions but the underlying point they're trying to make is that the Avg. cost for a family to attend a season or even 1 game is not worth it!

You can have a similar or better experience at home for much less, which helps to explain ticket sales drop off. There is going to be an inflection point where teams can no longer raise ticket prices and keep relatively full stadiums.

While we understand the "can't afford a family to go to a game", I haven't been to a game with the family since Green Bay played a preseasoner at San Diego. For a lot of people, it never has been an option. Baseball tickets are cheap because there are 10 times more games. I like my football with the boys and tailgate our asses of before and after the game. It is a Sunday with your friends, no kids allowed.

bronco militia
09-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Also, if I can get a 51" Samsung and leather chairs and Directv NFL Max for $299.95, I'll take 3 right ****ing now!!!!

they are figuring 10 games, at $427.42 per game
come on now Ha!

broncocalijohn
09-06-2012, 12:27 PM
they are figuring 10 games, at $427.42 per game
come on now Ha!

plus, he is so broke that at that price he can only afford to snag 3 TVs.

Binkythefrog
09-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Well then why not just say the guy is going to down 6 beers? They included 2 beers already.

Anyways, that isn't the point. Using these averages can be deceiving. My tickets are $53/seat, the cheapest at Mile High I think. However, if you average those with the club seats and lower level seats, the average ticket becomes much higher.

I spend 45 a ticket on mine - also many people take RTD to the games (like me) - I just park at a Park and Ride somewhere and take light rail instead of paying for parking. I usually eat up before I go to the games - I'd rather spend money on inflated beer prices than inflated food prices.

RhymesayersDU
09-06-2012, 12:37 PM
I spend 45 a ticket on mine - also many people take RTD to the games (like me) - I just park at a Park and Ride somewhere and take light rail instead of paying for parking. I usually eat up before I go to the games - I'd rather spend money on inflated beer prices than inflated food prices.

Where are you? Upper level end zone?

Binkythefrog
09-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Where are you? Upper level end zone?

Upper Northwest corner - a decent perspective - can see everything happening at once.

Beantown Bronco
09-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Baseball tickets are cheap because there are 10 times more games.

The Red Sox apparently never got that memo. Their prices are actually pretty comparable price wise to NFL tix.

maher_tyler
09-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Buying all of that AT the game isn't necessary...i'd do all of that before the game.

BigPlayShay
09-06-2012, 01:43 PM
I think I actually have 40 hats now that I think about it.

Ambiguous
09-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Buying all of that AT the game isn't necessary...i'd do all of that before the game.

Yep, I maybe get one beer in the game, the other six are consumed in the parking lot.

broncocalijohn
09-06-2012, 01:55 PM
The Red Sox apparently never got that memo. Their prices are actually pretty comparable price wise to NFL tix.

The Red Sox players apparently never got the memo that they are a MLB team in 2012.

Beantown Bronco
09-06-2012, 01:56 PM
The Red Sox players apparently never got the memo that they are a MLB team in 2012.

What do you mean? Doesn't the "M" stand for "Minor"?

BroncoBeavis
09-06-2012, 02:13 PM
I took my whole family to the playoff game last year. Didn't keep track of the cost, but it was worth every penny. :)

And I've thought about sneaking a flask in, but with the newer more intimate searches, I'm not sure how well that'd go.

Goobzilla
09-07-2012, 04:34 AM
I convinced myself when I moved back to CO that I would go to Bronco games all the time. Heading in to my 4th season and I haven't been to one. It's just me and the wife but paying for tickets, parking, lukewarm hotdogs and lukewarm $8 beers? Pass. No lines at the bathroom plus I can have my tablet within arms reach running ESPN Fantasycast. Plus if I go to the game I miss all the early games and half the Sunday nighter by the time I get home. See you on the couch :-)

Dr. Broncenstein
09-07-2012, 04:47 AM
That figure seems ridiculously low for a family of four. We spend money like drunken sailors when the wife and I go.

bowtown
09-07-2012, 05:33 AM
That figure seems ridiculously low for a family of four. We spend money like drunken sailors when the wife and I go.

You can buy rum and hookers at football games now?

Dr. Broncenstein
09-07-2012, 05:39 AM
You can buy rum and hookers at football games now?

If by hookers and rum you mean wine and cheese then yes. And hats.

bowtown
09-07-2012, 05:43 AM
If by hookers and rum you mean wine and cheese then yes. And hats.

Oh, so by drunken sailors you meant slightly buzzed CEOs. :clown:

Dr. Broncenstein
09-07-2012, 05:45 AM
I convinced myself when I moved back to CO that I would go to Bronco games all the time. Heading in to my 4th season and I haven't been to one. It's just me and the wife but paying for tickets, parking, lukewarm hotdogs and lukewarm $8 beers? Pass. No lines at the bathroom plus I can have my tablet within arms reach running ESPN Fantasycast. Plus if I go to the game I miss all the early games and half the Sunday nighter by the time I get home. See you on the couch :-)

Truly the worst thing in the world besides public speaking is having to crap at a stadium.

bowtown
09-07-2012, 05:57 AM
Truly the worst thing in the world besides public speaking is having to crap at a stadium.

If you would tailgate a little more you could have a colostomy bag by now. Bad fan.

canadianbroncosfan
09-07-2012, 06:38 AM
I don't have the same luxury as you guys in Co. that have the option to go to all 8 home games a year, however I do splurge and come down once a year. To be honest, I could shell out the dough for a couch and tv then I wouldn't have to deal with booking flights, going through giant microwave x-ray scanners, dealing with customs, waiting for rental car shuttles, hotels being overbooked, etc. (most of those experiences were a game I went to in Seattle years back) but NOTHING compares to the experience of a live NFL game. Tailgating, the crowd, the action, the cheering, taunting, and the memories. Money well spent and can't wait to do it again in October.