PDA

View Full Version : Art Modell gravely ill

Jetland
09-05-2012, 10:36 PM
http://deadspin.com/5940887/report-former-cleveland-browns-owner-art-modell-is-gravely-ill

Sad news out of Baltimore tonight as Jim Donovan of WKYC in Cleveland is reporting that Art Modell, the former Browns owner who became infamous for moving the franchise to Baltimore after the 1995 season, is in a Baltimore-area hospital and that his "vital organs are failing."

broncocalijohn
09-05-2012, 11:18 PM
He is at the best hospital for his care. Unfortunately for him, they will be moving him in the middle of the night to a 2nd tier hospital...... in Cleveland.

Dendave
09-06-2012, 04:23 AM
Died

Los Broncos
09-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Rip

Chris
09-06-2012, 08:18 AM
RIP.

Smiling Assassin27
09-06-2012, 08:37 AM
RIP. Let the childish and uncouth actions begin, Cleveland.

Sincerely,

Lebron

Smiling Assassin27
09-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Heh, like clockwork:

Trent's Biceps ‏@TrentsBiceps
Art Modell died? Good. 1 down 1 to go. LeBron James, you're next.

Expand Collapse Reply RetweetedRetweet
Delete
FavoritedFavorite

broncocalijohn
09-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Smiling, that was Trent's Biceps talking. Trent will be tweeting to refute this tweet from his muscles and put out his condolences. I like my response earlier in the thread when he was still alive. I guess you would have to know the whole Browns to Ravens story.

Pick Six
09-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Died

And, here is an article that confirms the sad news...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/sports/football/art-modell-nfl-owner-of-browns-then-ravens-is-dead-at-87.html?pagewanted=all

Kaylore
09-06-2012, 09:23 AM
RIP Art. Have the Cleveland faithful moved on from hating Elway? After Modell and Lebron, it seems like Elway is Santa Claus.

KCStud
09-06-2012, 10:15 AM
RIP Art. Have the Cleveland faithful moved on from hating Elway? After Modell and Lebron, it seems like Elway is Santa Claus.

You forgot MJ

BowlenBall
09-06-2012, 10:31 AM
People are very uncomfortable about speaking ill of the dead.

A serious question -- are there any Modell lovers, any Modell admirers out there? No, there aren't. Not one. So why should people feel bad about saying so when he dies? No need to be polite, the guy was a total douchebag and it should go on his tombstone.

broncocalijohn
09-06-2012, 11:11 AM

A serious question -- are there any Modell lovers, any Modell admirers out there? No, there aren't. Not one. So why should people feel bad about saying so when he dies? No need to be polite, the guy was a total douchebag and it should go on his tombstone.

So something like this for his tombstone? I think his family would approve.
Art Modell

1923-2012

Owner of the Cleveland Browns

and Baltimore Ravens

Loving Husband and Father

Douchebag to all others
Rot in Hell

Natedogg
09-06-2012, 03:19 PM
DONT REST IN PEACE, THIEF.

PaintballCLE
09-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Living in Cleveland..... i can attest people are throwing parties. I've always been a broncos fan so him moving the browns never bothered me personally......but think about it from a clevelander point of view.......he moves the browns for bull**** reasons......then they win the super bowl.......lebum leaves.....then he wins a championship ..... Manny ramirez leaves....Jim thome leaves....they win titles......the list goes on..... but living here i can tell u that for many die hard browns fans......this was their first superbowl victory today.

nyuk nyuk
09-06-2012, 04:37 PM

I agree. Moving out of Cleveland and then winning a Super Bowl probably left Cleveland short on ice packs. What a shot to the 'nads.

nyuk nyuk
09-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Living in Cleveland..... i can attest people are throwing parties. I've always been a broncos fan so him moving the browns never bothered me personally......but think about it from a clevelander point of view.......he moves the browns for bull**** reasons......then they win the super bowl.......lebum leaves.....then he wins a championship ..... Manny ramirez leaves....Jim thome leaves....they win titles......the list goes on..... but living here i can tell u that for many die hard browns fans......this was their first superbowl victory today.

And I thought we had it bad losing 3 Super Bowls in 4 years.

PaintballCLE
09-06-2012, 04:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AwouFO_pI4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Dr. Broncenstein
09-06-2012, 05:24 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ysmLA5TqbIY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't blame you, old man. Haters gonna hate.

OrangeCrush2724
09-06-2012, 05:34 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ysmLA5TqbIY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Man that was funny. I don't blame anyone moving on from that town.

PaintballCLE
09-06-2012, 06:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-aLUHxP05s

broncosteven
09-06-2012, 06:25 PM

I read the book Browns Town about the Browns last NFL title in 1964. There was not one good thing said about Modell in it and that was way before losing to the Broncos 3 times or Modell moving the franchise out of town. From what I rememeber reading he started dismantling the team (taking things that were working and replacing them with cheaper ways) back in 1964. The Browns won that year in spite of him.

I know the NFL obit told about how he did some good things for the NFL as a whole but as an owner of a franchise he was a POS.

Glad we have Bowlen even if he gets gutless every now and then, he is still a good owner trying to do his best to win year after year.

OrangeCrush2724
09-06-2012, 06:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-aLUHxP05s

That didn't look much better...

KipCorrington25
09-06-2012, 07:07 PM
He fired Paul Brown... this guy was like McDaniels x1000 with the ego and stupidity.

I was not a fan but I'll leave it at that.

OrangeCrush2724
09-06-2012, 07:16 PM

This one is funnier, it's part 2:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

broncosteven
09-06-2012, 07:27 PM
He fired Paul Brown... this guy was like McDaniels x1000 with the ego and stupidity.

I was not a fan but I'll leave it at that.

Paul Brown was a tool also, the HC they replaced him with (Blanton Collier) was very good and won them their last NFL Championship. It is not like they replaced Brown with mCd and went into a tail spin. They did still have Jim Brown, Leroy Kelly, Paul Warfield, Gary Collins, Ernie Green, Lou Groza and Frank Ryan but Collier brought a couple of those guys in.

Brown traded Bobby Mitchell to the Eagles, I am sure Mitchell is in the HOF, for the rights to Ernie Davis (The Elmira Express) who broke all of Jim Browns records at Syracuse. All true Bronco fans should know who the next person to wear #44 was! Brown and Modell fought over letting Davis play after finding out he had leukemia but they weren't getting along before that but it was this blow up that was kinda the last straw if I remember right from the book Browns Town.

Broncobiv
09-06-2012, 08:46 PM

Sounds like this post could have been written after Al Davis died. But I get the feeling Davis was more "loved" than Modell, due to what Davis did for the NFL...?

Fight_On!
09-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Sounds like this post could have been written after Al Davis died. But I get the feeling Davis was more "loved" than Modell, due to what Davis did for the NFL...?

Yes

Tombstone RJ
09-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Modell gets a bad rap for moving the Browns team but the city of Cleveland is to blame for that fiasco. The city had paid for a new stadium for the crappy Indians franchise and also had paid for some other stuff like that (this is out of memory) but for whatever reason, the city refused to help Modell with a new stadium.

The other thing is Modell pleaded with the city for years and years and the city simply would not help. The stadium the Browns played in was pretty bad, it's not like Modell was pulling a Jerra Jones and leaving a perfectly good stadium for an extravagent stadium.

So Modell finally moved the team. You wanna blame someone, blame the lame fans of Cleveland for the move. Blame the politicians for the move. In the end, the craptastic town of Cleveland got a brand new stadium and another team.

SO WHO GIVES A ****? SUCK IT CLEVELAND, YOU CANDYASS CLOWNFAGS!