PDA

View Full Version : Max Starks v Doom

cutthemdown
09-05-2012, 04:07 PM
IMO this is the biggest matchup of the day. Is it just me or does Doom look especially nimble and fast this preseason? Starks is coming off an injury to his knee and the Steelers wanted to be able to find a new starter at that LT spot but no players worked out. That tells me Steelers don't think much of him and Starks coming back is more damage control then building the oline they want.

The last time they faced each other Doom was killing him, then he got injured and left the game. Now he has to face Doom in his first game back.

I see 2 sacks for Doom and no way Starks can block him. He may have been able to block him better in 2009, but not now, not coming off a bad injury. Throw in the fact I think Doom looks the best he ever has and it could be a really long day for Starks and Big Ben.

Jetland
09-05-2012, 04:09 PM
it will be an even longer day if the refs choose to call holding....fingers crossed

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
09-05-2012, 04:10 PM
For a second I thought it was a new marvel match up. Stark Ironman vs. Von Doom.

barryr
09-05-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm hoping they move Miller and Dumervil around, so they give their o-line different looks, which right now, the Steeler o-line is a question mark as it is.

cutthemdown
09-05-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm hoping they move Miller and Dumervil around, so they give their o-line different looks, which right now, the Steeler o-line is a question mark as it is.

The RG spot been trouble for them with an injury just like Denver. I think both QBs will see pressure in this game.

But I just think Doom looking so good right now.

cutthemdown
09-05-2012, 04:15 PM
it will be an even longer day if the refs choose to call holding....fingers crossed

I had not considered the fact he may get away with some holds if refs don't want to throw a flag. Good point.

pricejj
09-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Dumervil was playing with a high ankle sprain last year...this year it's all systems go.

Requiem
09-05-2012, 04:18 PM
I bet we have at least 5 sacks.

cutthemdown
09-05-2012, 04:25 PM
We get to Roth that much Requiem we may really put a hurting on him to start season. Unlike Manning who will just throw it away to avoid hits Roth will hang in and take them.

Could be big for a guy like Wolfe with a high motor. Roth moves to avoid the speed guys, holds ball, lets a player like Wolfe come eat him up.

gyldenlove
09-05-2012, 04:48 PM
It is going to be all about Von Miller, I am guessing they will keep a RB in to help out Starks agains Dumervil a lot, so Miller has to be able to take the matchups he gets and just pummel the snot out of Roethlisberger.

Chris
09-05-2012, 04:53 PM
For a second I thought it was a new marvel match up. Stark Ironman vs. Von Doom.

:notworthy I did too.

ZONA
09-05-2012, 05:03 PM

Uh, not so sure about that. I'm loving a healthy Doom and Miller but Big Ben is damn crafty in the pocket and he often can still complete a pass or get rid of the ball with a defender hanging on him.

I'll say 2, maybe 3 sacks this week.

cutthemdown
09-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Uh, not so sure about that. I'm loving a healthy Doom and Miller but Big Ben is damn crafty in the pocket and he often can still complete a pass or get rid of the ball with a defender hanging on him.

I'll say 2, maybe 3 sacks this week.

He does shrug off 1-2 sacks a game. But the fact he will hang in there is going to kill him eventually. Broncos need to keep hustling and I think they get a ton of shots on roth. Regardless of how tough you are passes thrown while getting hit lead to turnovers.

pricejj
09-05-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm thinking the Steelers will attempt to run the ball quite a bit. Hopefully the Broncos D will be up to the task, and create plenty 3rd down opportunities for sacks. Don't forget Ayers, who had 2 sacks against Starks last year.

DENVERDUI55
09-05-2012, 05:50 PM
I think the sacks will need to come from the other side. I expect Starks to get a lot of help there and the steelers to try and pound the ball on the ground.

jutang
09-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Only chance the Steelers have is to run out the clock, score enough, and keep Manning from lighting them up and play right into denver's defensive strength.

Replacement refs worry me a lot with subjective calls on holding and pass interference.

DENVERDUI55
09-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Only chance the Steelers have is to run out the clock, score enough, and keep Manning from lighting them up and play right into denver's defensive strength.

Replacement refs worry me a lot with subjective calls on holding and pass interference.

I had a dream last night that we were up 10-9 late in the 3rd Q when Manning went long to Thomas and the refs called PI at the 1. Willis pounded it in to go up by 8 heading into the 4th.

Br0nc0Buster
09-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Doom has looked good this preseason, but Von is the guy the Steelers need to key on

He is gonna chop dicks Sunday night if our offense can put up some points and force the issue with Pitt

Jetmeck
09-05-2012, 06:57 PM
our D line is even better than the last time we met...................bring it

Great13
09-05-2012, 09:44 PM
our D line is even better than the last time we met...................bring it

This.

ZONA
09-05-2012, 11:42 PM
He does shrug off 1-2 sacks a game. But the fact he will hang in there is going to kill him eventually. Broncos need to keep hustling and I think they get a ton of shots on roth. Regardless of how tough you are passes thrown while getting hit lead to turnovers.

True. There will be a few times this game that you would think we would have had a sack but it didn't materialize because Ben made something out of nothing. He's been to consistent at that to not expect it to happen.

I'm really looking forward to that trench match between Warren and Pouncey. I know it sucked to lose Bunkley he was a very solid DT but Warren is looking very strong out there. He does, when healthy, have that extra something over Bunkley. I think he matches up well with Pouncey. That will be so key in this game. If we can plug up that middle some on the run game and not give Ben those escape routes up the middle, I think Doom and Miller will get to Ben 3 or 4 times. If we can't hold that middle and Ben can slide up to avoid the side rush from Miller/Doom, that's going to hurt.

Doggcow
09-06-2012, 12:10 AM
http://blogimages.thescore.com/nfl/files/2012/07/demaryius-thomas-again2.jpg

Hulamau
09-06-2012, 12:28 AM

Don't be surprised if its 2 sacks a peice for Von, Doom and Wolfe .. maybe Malik or Ty also get in on the action for a sack as well. 7 sacks has a nice odd number ring to it and sounds about right to me ... Give Big Ben the willies all night from the first drive onward, and blast him to the turf another 5 of 6 extra times after forcing him to throw early and making him and the rest of the Steeler's so glad to get back on that plane and reset their season to start next weekend.

dictionary
09-06-2012, 02:04 AM
Don't be surprised if its 2 sacks a peice for Von, Doom and Wolfe .. maybe Malik or Ty also get in on the action for a sack as well. 7 sacks has a nice odd number ring to it and sounds about right to me ... Give Big Ben the willies all night from the first drive onward, and blast him to the turf another 5 of 6 extra times after forcing him to throw early and making him and the rest of the Steeler's so glad to get back on that plane and reset their season to start next weekend.

More or less my thought as well. With a need to double team either Doom or Von, that leaves Warren and Wolfe who both look to be in top form to collapse up into a pocket. Stillers only have so many hands and feet to plug the holes on the OL and I am sure the Del Rio will find them quickly and then exploit them. ;D

fontaine
09-06-2012, 03:19 AM
I'm so stoked about our pass rush and DL with Warren/Wolfe in there.

Can't wait to see how our offense stretches the field using DT, Decker/Tamme.

cutthemdown
09-06-2012, 06:13 PM
True. There will be a few times this game that you would think we would have had a sack but it didn't materialize because Ben made something out of nothing. He's been to consistent at that to not expect it to happen.

I'm really looking forward to that trench match between Warren and Pouncey. I know it sucked to lose Bunkley he was a very solid DT but Warren is looking very strong out there. He does, when healthy, have that extra something over Bunkley. I think he matches up well with Pouncey. That will be so key in this game. If we can plug up that middle some on the run game and not give Ben those escape routes up the middle, I think Doom and Miller will get to Ben 3 or 4 times. If we can't hold that middle and Ben can slide up to avoid the side rush from Miller/Doom, that's going to hurt.

If Warren wins that matchup it will be a long day for Roth. That to me would mean total jailbreaks into the backfield because no way Starks can handle doom. Wolfe will cause enough problems to allow Miller to have some shots on blitzes from the strong side. But it sort of looks like Miller moves around a bit more this yr. Will be fun to watch I think.

cutthemdown
09-06-2012, 06:14 PM

That straight arm was basically complete physical domination over that defender. He looks like a wet noodle getting shoved around.

broncosteven
09-06-2012, 07:38 PM
I think the best thing we have going for us is that Haley is the Steelers OC now. He ought to cost them at least 7 points a game with his poor decision making and arrogance.

Didn't the Steelers lose a OL with a knee injury? I think (hope) they are going to struggle in pass protection. I think the Steelers will try to counter with a lot of screens and try to attack our poor LB coverage.

I expect the rapist to have to keep drives alive running after being flushed out of the pocket.

I am not too worried about their run game, we can afford to give up a 120 yard rusher with Manning able to counter drives. It would play into our hands if the Steelgirls try rushing.

Looking for lots of dink and dunk, quick slant stuff (because Wallace held out) and getting Mendenhall catching passes.

I really like our chances in this game. I just hope Decker doesn't get a case of the Bowe's and drop a lot of passes. If our WR's make the catches we should be able to outscore the Steelers and make them one dimentional.

ZONA
09-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Looking for lots of dink and dunk, quick slant stuff (because Wallace held out) and getting Mendenhall catching passes.

I think Wallace will really struggle in the 4th quarter. There is no way he is in elite game shape so soon and playing at altitude will only bring that fatigue on sooner.

I really do think right now our team is better and a tad healthier. The only reason I could see us loosing is an injury to a key player(s) or making mental mistakes (ie: blown coverage, turn overs, dropped passes).

Jetmeck
09-06-2012, 11:47 PM
hurry up offense is a killer

Nwp-Apap
09-07-2012, 12:20 AM
I think the best thing we have going for us is that Haley is the Steelers OC now. He ought to cost them at least 7 points a game with his poor decision making and arrogance.

Didn't the Steelers lose a OL with a knee injury? I think (hope) they are going to struggle in pass protection. I think the Steelers will try to counter with a lot of screens and try to attack our poor LB coverage.

I expect the rapist to have to keep drives alive running after being flushed out of the pocket.

I am not too worried about their run game, we can afford to give up a 120 yard rusher with Manning able to counter drives. It would play into our hands if the Steelgirls try rushing.

I really like our chances in this game. I just hope Decker doesn't get a case of the Bowe's and drop a lot of passes. If our WR's make the catches we should be able to outscore the Steelers and make them one dimentional.

Yeah their first round pick. OG David DeCastro is out. Also, I don't know about Mendenhal getting much playing time, if at all, his ankle is still acting up.

I think we open a lot of eyes Sunday and beat the steelers convincingly.

Jetmeck
09-07-2012, 12:42 AM
If Warren wins that matchup it will be a long day for Roth. That to me would mean total jailbreaks into the backfield because no way Starks can handle doom. Wolfe will cause enough problems to allow Miller to have some shots on blitzes from the strong side. But it sort of looks like Miller moves around a bit more this yr. Will be fun to watch I think.

Our D-line is much improved............Warren was pushing the pocket in preseason................with Wolfe OMG Doom may decleat the guy.

dictionary
09-07-2012, 08:45 AM
I waived a kicker and picked up Denver to start as my Defense for my FF league. I have a feeling they are going to be dominant this year.

gyldenlove
09-07-2012, 09:23 AM

"Dominance asserted!"

This is the football equivalent of when an alpha male gorilla pisses another male gorilla in the face.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-07-2012, 10:41 AM
I prefer Max Power.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4w3zdkmw2E4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cutthemdown
09-07-2012, 10:44 AM
"Dominance asserted!"

This is the football equivalent of when an alpha male gorilla pisses another male gorilla in the face.

Just a suggestion but using gorilla, ape or chimp when describing black athletes sometimes gets taken the wrong way. :)

DENVERDUI55
09-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Just a suggestion but using gorilla, ape or chimp when describing black athletes sometimes gets taken the wrong way. :)

Except when Goodell call with the 5 th pick in the draft(disclaimer don't remember exact number) the redskins select Trent "silverback" Williams. I'm suprised Jackson and sharpton didn't run with that.

gyldenlove
09-09-2012, 10:11 PM
It is going to be all about Von Miller, I am guessing they will keep a RB in to help out Starks agains Dumervil a lot, so Miller has to be able to take the matchups he gets and just pummel the snot out of Roethlisberger.

I ****ing told all you guys about Von Miller, 2 sacks, 2 or 3 tackles for loss and just urinating all over the Steelers offensive line. Von Miller is one of the 5 best defensive players in the NFL right now, the kid is a monster and he will only get better - some of the moves he put on the Steelers tonight were just ridiculous.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
09-09-2012, 10:16 PM
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2/26948/562310-doctor_von_doom_super.png

lonestar
09-09-2012, 10:39 PM
IMO this is the biggest matchup of the day. Is it just me or does Doom look especially nimble and fast this preseason? Starks is coming off an injury to his knee and the Steelers wanted to be able to find a new starter at that LT spot but no players worked out. That tells me Steelers don't think much of him and Starks coming back is more damage control then building the oline they want.

The last time they faced each other Doom was killing him, then he got injured and left the game. Now he has to face Doom in his first game back.

I see 2 sacks for Doom and no way Starks can block him. He may have been able to block him better in 2009, but not now, not coming off a bad injury. Throw in the fact I think Doom looks the best he ever has and it could be a really long day for Starks and Big Ben.

Did doom even suit up I do not recall him getting near Ben all day.

The midget failed against a big bad steeler.

enjolras
09-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Did doom even suit up I do not recall him getting near Ben all day.

The midget failed against a big bad steeler.

You'd be very wrong.

I'm watching the game right now. Just starting the second half, so I'll chronicle his second half exploits.

- First play of the second half, Doom comes through untouched and forces an early screen pass which falls incomplete. If he doesn't get there this is a big play for the Steelers.

- 9:53 3rd, 4th & 1 : Doom comes in off the edge on a QB sneak and prevents a first down (although the referees gave Ben a phantom yard and a half).

- 6:54 3rd, 1st & 10 : Doom bull rushes a freaking double team all the way into Ben. That pressure forces a throw just behind a receiver streaking open in the endzone and it falls incomplete.

- two plays later, 3rd & 10 : Doom cleanly beats his man, but Miller gets there first. With Miller around Bens legs Doom gets a clean hit on Ben just as he releases the ball forcing another bad throw and Steelers settle for a field goal.

- 5:18 3rd, 1st & 10: Doom makes a really nice inside move to get around his guy. Forces another early throw which Porter should have picked off.

- 3:13 3rd, 1st & 10: Run to his side, Doom sheds his block and takes the running back down but gets facemask for a 15 yard penalty.

- 8:38 4th, 2nd & 3: Von-Doom is in full effect as they sandwich Ben as he throws. Incomplete pass on a long bomb attempt (although the throw was quite good really).

- next play, 3rd & 3: Doom is double teamed again, as part of the blitz he draws the double team towards the center. He didn't necessarily do anything special on this play, but they do use him as a decoy on blitzes quite a bit. Result of the play is an incomplete pass that Porter should have pick-sixed.

Doom didn't have a sack, but he had a bunch of pressures. He was also playing pocket contain for much of the game (particularly in the second half) in an attempt to keep Ben in the pocket. This limited his pass rushing opportunities as well. He faced quite a few double teams, contrary to the early reaction here on the board.

I think Doom was just fine thank you very much.

TonyR
09-10-2012, 07:10 AM

Thanks for this, makes me feel a little better. Without focusing on him, which I didn't, one could come away thinking he didn't do much. I expected us to pressure Ben more than we did last night, and to have more success when we did.

enjolras
09-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks for this, makes me feel a little better. Without focusing on him, which I didn't, one could come away thinking he didn't do much. I expected us to pressure Ben more than we did last night, and to have more success when we did.

I did as well. We did get a LOT of pressure, Ben was just really amazing (as per usual) at getting away from it. We might have had 4 or 5 more sacks against a less elusive QB. He's just absolutely amazing at sliding around in the pocket. We did have some issues with lane discipline (particularly from Wolfe and Ayers) which needs to be cleaned up.

Also I was probably a bit dramatic in my rebuttal. Doom wasn't ineffective, but he wasn't special either. He didn't appear to have a ton of energy for this game, which isn't surprising as he hasn't traditionally been a strong starter to the season.

I think we're going to generate a lot of pressure this season, and I think Dumervil will definitely get better as the season wears on. He came on late last year in a BIG way and I expect the same this year.

lonestar
09-10-2012, 10:17 AM
You'd be very wrong.

I'm watching the game right now. Just starting the second half, so I'll chronicle his second half exploits.

- First play of the second half, Doom comes through untouched and forces an early screen pass which falls incomplete. If he doesn't get there this is a big play for the Steelers.

- 9:53 3rd, 4th & 1 : Doom comes in off the edge on a QB sneak and prevents a first down (although the referees gave Ben a phantom yard and a half).

- 6:54 3rd, 1st & 10 : Doom bull rushes a freaking double team all the way into Ben. That pressure forces a throw just behind a receiver streaking open in the endzone and it falls incomplete.

- two plays later, 3rd & 10 : Doom cleanly beats his man, but Miller gets there first. With Miller around Bens legs Doom gets a clean hit on Ben just as he releases the ball forcing another bad throw and Steelers settle for a field goal.

- 5:18 3rd, 1st & 10: Doom makes a really nice inside move to get around his guy. Forces another early throw which Porter should have picked off.

- 3:13 3rd, 1st & 10: Run to his side, Doom sheds his block and takes the running back down but gets facemask for a 15 yard penalty.

- 8:38 4th, 2nd & 3: Von-Doom is in full effect as they sandwich Ben as he throws. Incomplete pass on a long bomb attempt (although the throw was quite good really).

- next play, 3rd & 3: Doom is double teamed again, as part of the blitz he draws the double team towards the center. He didn't necessarily do anything special on this play, but they do use him as a decoy on blitzes quite a bit. Result of the play is an incomplete pass that Porter should have pick-sixed.

Doom didn't have a sack, but he had a bunch of pressures. He was also playing pocket contain for much of the game (particularly in the second half) in an attempt to keep Ben in the pocket. This limited his pass rushing opportunities as well. He faced quite a few double teams, contrary to the early reaction here on the board.

Wow glad to know that YOU have had the benefit of sitting in on the DL coaching meetings that you have/know what his assignment was..

I just know that most of the game his OT had his ass out of the play.. That was very evident to anyone casually watching the game..

I also know that until the last few minutes of the game that our DL did not touch Ben much and when they did he managed to make the play anyway..

I think the DB's had more to do with the outcome of the game than the DL..

that said they seemed to contain their rushing game pretty well except for a few rushes..

Considering that almost everyone on their OL was playing out of position thru most of the game I was not impressed at all with our DL..

Considering their big gun RB did not suit up for the game, not sure what to expect when we play a team that actually has an intact OL and RB group..

Considering their big GUN WR showed up a few minutes before the game after a hold out, I suspect next time IF we meet them there may be a different outcome..

While we have come along way, the road is very long and winding..

I'm Happy that we won.. But lets hardly think this is a super bowl caliber team at this point..

lonestar
09-10-2012, 10:21 AM
I did as well. We did get a LOT of pressure, Ben was just really amazing (as per usual) at getting away from it. We might have had 4 or 5 more sacks against a less elusive QB. He's just absolutely amazing at sliding around in the pocket. We did have some issues with lane discipline (particularly from Wolfe and Ayers) which needs to be cleaned up.

Also I was probably a bit dramatic in my rebuttal. Doom wasn't ineffective, but he wasn't special either. He didn't appear to have a ton of energy for this game, which isn't surprising as he hasn't traditionally been a strong starter to the season.

I think we're going to generate a lot of pressure this season, and I think Dumervil will definitely get better as the season wears on. He came on late last year in a BIG way and I expect the same this year.

Yet the thread title was.. Max Starks v Doom..

Everyone seemed to think Doom would slide by him like a greased pig..

Folks it did not happen.. Starks for the most part dominated him..

I was not all that impressed..

lonestar
09-10-2012, 10:28 AM
FWIW this is striaght form the broncos web site.. NO where was Doom noted..

Below are some key plays for both teams in Denver’s 31-19 season-opening win vs. Pittsburgh at Sports Authority Field at Mile High:

Third-and-12 at the 50 (11:30, 1st quarter): With Peyton Manning looking sharp on the opening drive of the game, Denver’s offense had momentum before Larry Foote broke into the backfield to sack Manning on third down and force a punt.

Third-and-1 at the Denver 49 (7:21, 1st quarter): Denver started its second drive of the game with good field position at its 40-yard line, but couldn’t convert a third-and-short. McGahee fumbled the football, turning it over to Pittsburgh in Denver territory.

Third-and-13 at the Denver 36 (3:35, 1st quarter): With the Steelers on the edge of field goal range, rookie defensive end Derek Wolfe collected his first career sack. Wolfe dropped quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for a 9-yard loss to force a Pittsburgh punt.

Third-and-13 at the Denver 21 (1:04, 2nd quarter): Facing his second third-and-long of the drive, Roethlisberger found wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders for a 17-yard gain down to the Denver 4-yard line to extend the drive. The Steelers scored three plays later when tight end Heath Miller caught a 3-yard pass to take a 10-7 lead at the half.

Third-and-12 at the Pittsburgh 18 (13:57, 2nd quarter): When it looked like Denver’s defense was in good position to start the second half with a three-and-out, Roethlisberger and Sanders struck again with a 15-yard connection. That kept the drive alive, and 13 plays later the kicker Shaun Suisham converted a 35-yard field goal to put Pittsburgh ahead 13-7.

Third-and-10 at the Pittsburgh 20 (5:17, 3rd quarter): Again, it looked like the Broncos defense had made a stand to force a three-and-out, but a personal foul called against safety Rahim Moore gave the Steelers a first down to start a drive. Moore aimed low on his target, but Sanders diving attempt at the pass led Moore to hit the receiver above the shoulders, which drew the flag. Pittsburgh ran 11 more plays, ending the drive with a 3-yard touchdown catch by Mike Wallace to go ahead 19-14 early in the fourth quarter.

Second-and-10 at the Pittsburgh 39 (2:10, 4thquarter): Cornerback Tracy Porter ended any hopes of a Pittsburgh comeback when he stepped in front of a Roethlisberger pass intended for Sanders. He raced 43 yards to the end zone to seal the Week 1 victory with his second career interception return for a touchdown in regular-season action.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/broncos-vs-steelers-key-plays-2/

Tombstone RJ
09-10-2012, 10:32 AM
doom was held a bunch too.

gyldenlove
09-10-2012, 11:38 AM
You'd be very wrong.

Doom was just fine, it was pretty clear the Steelers were scheming heavily to take him out including double teams and rolling a RB to his side.

Dumervil created a lot of space for other players including Wolfe and Miller and blitzers by being active. It also seemed that he attacked the LT much more straight on than he did before, fewer wide rushes more bull rushing which is safer against the run since you can maintain your control of the inside run.

I am pretty sure Del Rio will take 16 games of this quality, any team that focuses on taking Miller out of the game will have Dumervil hurting the QB instead. It really is a question of pick your poison now, one of our pass rushers will get good matchups.

cutthemdown
09-10-2012, 12:03 PM
I also thought Doom was getting a lot of attention. Really nothing for us to argue over though lol. He didn't get all the hits I thought he was going to get and Starks played much better then I thought he would. I did think Doom seemed to get gassed and started to not get off the ball as quick as I would like.

But it is a good point that Steelers were scheming to take him out of the game.