PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Fans told they can't wear Peyton Manning jersey to school

bronco militia
09-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Ahead of Sunday’s big game between the Denver Broncos and Pittsburgh Steelers, some students in Greeley, Colo., are upset over an anti-gang policy that prohibits them from wearing Peyton Manning’s No. 18 jersey.

The future Hall of Fame quarterback, who the Broncos signed during the off season, has given fans hope the team can build on its unlikely playoff drive of a year ago, and jerseys emblazoned with his name and number are a huge seller throughout the state. But how can a Bronco fan express his devotion if the jersey remains in a drawer?

“They told me I couldn’t wear 18 anymore because it’s a gang number and I had to take it off,” said Konnor Vanatta during an interview with FOX31 Denver on Tuesday.

Vanatta, a third grader in the Weld County School System, was disappointed to learn that the number 18 is considered to represent gang affiliations and is not allowed on clothing inside county classrooms.

“I’m pretty upset the schools have come down to this and I think they need to start paying attention to the education the children are getting rather than what they’re wearing,” added Pam Vanatta, the student’s mother.

A spokesperson for Weld County District 6 explained the policy has been around for more than three years and applies to the numbers 13, 14,18, 31, 41 and 81.

“We’re Broncos fans ourselves; it has nothing to do with that. We’re just wanting to set a consistent solid, example,” said district spokesperson Roger Fiedler.

Not to be discouraged, Vanatta wore a No. 61 jersey to school on Tuesday to protest the policy

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/09/05/bronco-fans-told-cant-wear-peyton-manning-jerseys-to-school/#ixzz25boeWdib

bronco militia
09-05-2012, 08:24 AM
the only reason is due to the number...does anyone have a clue what #18 represents to gang bangers?

Pony Boy
09-05-2012, 08:28 AM
I remember when you couldn't wear 69 ..........

lolcopter
09-05-2012, 08:32 AM
lolgreeley

what a stupid ****ty little cowtown

Broncos_OTM
09-05-2012, 08:39 AM
one represents a 1 = A 8 = H.. I know 13 represents M la eme or mafia

18 represents 18th street.

Hells Angels = 81

others I'm not overly sure

Broncos_OTM
09-05-2012, 08:40 AM
lolgreeley

greely is a Hispanic gangster haven...

lolcopter
09-05-2012, 08:42 AM
13 = MS-13
18 = 18th street gang

swaiy
09-05-2012, 08:43 AM
The forgot 17, 74, 3, 5 and 6. What a stupid rule.

bronco militia
one represents a 1 = A 8 = H..

ok... then what? help a Gringo out!

lolcopter

One of the many reasons why it sucks

Wes Mantooth
09-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Can you wear an Orton jersey?

bronco militia
09-05-2012, 08:52 AM

sure....I think you are the only one that bought one ;D

RhymesayersDU
09-05-2012, 08:58 AM
sure....I think you are the only one that bought one ;D

No, superfan TGN has one. He makes sweet love to himself in it.

Broncos_OTM
09-05-2012, 09:01 AM
The Mara Salvatrucha, or MS-13, is different then la eme. on is el salvadorian Ms 13 la eme is the Mexican
afia

Br0nc0Buster
09-05-2012, 09:35 AM
I dont see the gang affiliation when the jersey says things like "Denver Broncos" and "Manning" on it

But then again I dont live in Greeley so for all I know the gang members are all riding dirty in Peyton Manning Bronco jerseys

GoHAM
09-05-2012, 09:54 AM
I dont see the gang affiliation when the jersey says things like "Denver Broncos" and "Manning" on it

But then again I dont live in Greeley so for all I know the gang members are all riding dirty in Peyton Manning Bronco jerseys

But that's why they use sports jerseys and gear. It's all mainstream, and they can "hide in plain sight" while wearing gang colors/symbols.

I watched a documentary a few years back on this topic and they were talking about different items that were gang related, especially gear from teams that weren't red or blue since those colors were banned at most schools already.

The two items that stuck in my mind the most were Rockies hats and Saints jackets.

The Rockies CR logo stood for "Crips Rule" and any Saints gear where Saints was spelled out represented "S(ome rival gang) AINT Sh*t" (I don't remember the name of the gang).

Drunken.Broncoholic
09-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Next on the banning block. Bakers dozen donuts all around the country. Gangs ruin everything.

canadianbroncosfan
09-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Ahead of Sunday’s big game between the Denver Broncos and Pittsburgh Steelers, some students in Greeley, Colo., are upset over an anti-gang policy that prohibits them from wearing Peyton Manning’s No. 18 jersey.

The future Hall of Fame quarterback, who the Broncos signed during the off season, has given fans hope the team can build on its unlikely playoff drive of a year ago, and jerseys emblazoned with his name and number are a huge seller throughout the state. But how can a Bronco fan express his devotion if the jersey remains in a drawer?

“They told me I couldn’t wear 18 anymore because it’s a gang number and I had to take it off,” said Konnor Vanatta during an interview with FOX31 Denver on Tuesday.

Vanatta, a third grader in the Weld County School System, was disappointed to learn that the number 18 is considered to represent gang affiliations and is not allowed on clothing inside county classrooms.

“I’m pretty upset the schools have come down to this and I think they need to start paying attention to the education the children are getting rather than what they’re wearing,” added Pam Vanatta, the student’s mother.

A spokesperson for Weld County District 6 explained the policy has been around for more than three years and applies to the numbers 13, 14,18, 31, 41 and 81.

“We’re Broncos fans ourselves; it has nothing to do with that. We’re just wanting to set a consistent solid, example,” said district spokesperson Roger Fiedler.

Not to be discouraged, Vanatta wore a No. 61 jersey to school on Tuesday to protest the policy

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/09/05/bronco-fans-told-cant-wear-peyton-manning-jerseys-to-school/#ixzz25boeWdib

Hold on, did we miss that part that HE'S A THIRD GRADER!!! So 8 or 9 years old. C'mon school for Christ's sake

2KBack
09-05-2012, 10:23 AM
how exactly does banning such dress actually curb gang activities?

JunkyardWillie
09-05-2012, 10:34 AM

No self respecting gang member would wear an Orton jersey so that's ok

broncocalijohn
09-05-2012, 10:37 AM
the only reason is due to the number...does anyone have a clue what #18 represents to gang bangers?

Manning knew this and obviously is a gang bangin affiliate of that crew. It is mostly a tagging crew and lets Peyton show his artsy side. He does have to pop and cap some rivals but those were Raider fans anyways so it wasn;t looked down upon until he was using footballs instead of lead. A tad of a pansy for our #18. And there you have it.

LongDongJohnson
09-05-2012, 10:38 AM
I proudly wear my cincy reds everyday in bomton.

24champ
09-05-2012, 10:40 AM

Sounds like it was banned for safety reasons, they don't want an innocent kid getting gunned down by rival gangs.

bronco militia
09-05-2012, 10:48 AM

only certain numbers....

2KBack
09-05-2012, 10:59 AM
only certain numbers....

That's what I mean....banning said numbers doesn't seem like it actively combats gang activity.

Safety as 24 Champ said would be the only consideration, but It feels like an overreaction. Have there been rashes violence towards school age kids wearing these numbers by mistake? Is there record of anyone actually being harmed for wearing these number innocently?

Cosmo
09-05-2012, 11:20 AM
I teach up here in Greeley. Trust me, an 8 year old can be in a gang or will be recruited by a gang. Usually its because of the Father being in the gang already, but its not out of the ordinary that they join on their own.

Greeley has lowered crime to the point that Fort Collins and Loveland are seeing an increase in gang related crimes because the gang members can't thrive here anymore. So, as it has been working, we aren't going to change it even if that means they can't wear Manning Jerseys.

Cosmo
09-05-2012, 11:21 AM
That's what I mean....banning said numbers doesn't seem like it actively combats gang activity.

Safety as 24 Champ said would be the only consideration, but It feels like an overreaction. Have there been rashes violence towards school age kids wearing these numbers by mistake? Is there record of anyone actually being harmed for wearing these number innocently?

No, unlikely anyone would attack him for wearing the number. Its 100% about being consistent no matter what.

razorwire77
09-05-2012, 11:40 AM
I teach as well. Unfortunately, these types of rules are all or nothing. Yes, it is certainly possible for a 7, 8, 9 year-old to be affiliated with a gang. Kids are used to hold drugs and guns because very little happens to them if they get caught.

As far as the significance of 18, numbers play an important part of gang lifestyle. 18 could be 18-street (Mexican Mafia). There are really an infinite series of numerology connected to gangs and gang lifestyle.

If a school district has banned jerseys/hats/colors etc. There is usually a reason behind it.

Boogerboots
09-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Now that explains all those folks that got capped wearing Tripucka jerseys.

AmericanBroncFan
09-05-2012, 04:19 PM
why not call in the armed forces and BAN gangs instead of banning our rights? Make an ash tray out of the ghetto

Jetmeck
09-05-2012, 05:59 PM
thats just stupid

spdirty
09-05-2012, 06:15 PM
LOL Greeley is so stupid. So glad I moved out of there.

spdirty
09-05-2012, 06:21 PM
I teach up here in Greeley. Trust me, an 8 year old can be in a gang or will be recruited by a gang. Usually its because of the Father being in the gang already, but its not out of the ordinary that they join on their own.

Damn. I have an 8 year old. Could not even imagine him being in a gang. I know he cusses sometimes around his friends, and he has a tendency to be a lil a-hole, He's still pretty innocent in my opinion.

So hard to think about a kid his age being in a gang.

Requiem
09-05-2012, 06:28 PM
http://whizzbanga.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/crips-south-park-t-shirt1.jpg

Fight_On!
09-05-2012, 06:34 PM
GASP! Colorado has gang problems! Gasp! Donkey fans have thugs as fans!The way donkey fans speak....you would think that Denver does not have this problem.

On another note, this is a very stupid policy. SMH....

Mecklomaniac
09-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Does the zero tolerance policy extend to math tests?

Can junior get expelled for answering 2x9.... Gotta be consistent and all, or soon junior will pull out a drawing of a gun.

gunns
09-05-2012, 07:11 PM
13 is connected to the Surenos 13 gang and the larger Mara Salvatrucha 13. 18 is the 18th street gang who operate under the Surenos.

Garcia Bronco
09-05-2012, 07:12 PM

It doesn't.

Cosmo
09-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Damn. I have an 8 year old. Could not even imagine him being in a gang. I know he cusses sometimes around his friends, and he has a tendency to be a lil a-hole, He's still pretty innocent in my opinion.

So hard to think about a kid his age being in a gang.

The reason kids that young get recruited is because they are innocent. Gang members will do whatever to stay alive and strong. 13 and 14 are gang numbers, but gangs will invert the numbers to 41 & 31 just to keep flashing them where allowed. In Greeley, we ban even the inverted numbers.

Again, to those mocking Greeley, we now have less gang related problems than every major neighboring city. A lot of cops in other cities aren't happy about our past criminals moving to their cities.

Cosmo
09-05-2012, 07:14 PM
It doesn't.

Wrong. Again, Greeley has reduced crime significantly in part due to these "stupid practices".

Garcia Bronco
09-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Wrong. Again, Greeley has reduced crime significantly in part due to these "stupid practices".

I doubt that very seriously. You just said yourself that they just moved.

The way to solve this is to put the adult in jail where they belong. It doesn't happen by banning expression in our schools.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Damn it feels good to be a gangsta.

Requiem
09-05-2012, 07:27 PM

Glad to see that things are getting better where you are at. :D

Cosmo
09-05-2012, 07:50 PM

The way to solve this is to put the adult in jail where they belong. It doesn't happen by banning expression in our schools.

lol, since when did jails stop gangs?! Last I checked, someone in prison can continue to run his gang from inside.

Cosmo
09-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Glad to see that things are getting better where you are at. :D

Thanks.

Smell reduced: check
Crime reduced: check
Broncos returning for training camp: In progress

cutthemdown
09-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Amazing how gangs can screw up simple things like sports jerseys.

UberBroncoMan
09-05-2012, 09:26 PM

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_6932520

Bronco Yoda
09-05-2012, 10:35 PM
ahhhh the public school system. You couldn't pay me to subject my kids to all that substandard crap. I feel sorry for those who don''t have a choice.

Stuck in Cali
09-06-2012, 12:34 AM
First time I have heard of uniform numbers being banned. There is news here every night about gang activity. I have a child in elementary, and another in Jr high. There is nothing about numbers being against the rules in their rule books. Guess its just what that community feels appropriate, its mostly about colors here.

ol#7
09-06-2012, 12:53 AM
So any number or inverted number or name that can be altered to mean somthing else in a half assed way is bannable. Got it. So glad I went to school when I did. Stupid doesnt begin to describe such reactions.

I am curious why anyone would think this would solve anything? So if you cant wear your idiotic gang afiliated number, you can no longer be in a gang and must move? Wont they just use some other stupid symbol to self identify? Probably not, like you said Cosmo, they will just move to Loveland. Easier that way.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-06-2012, 01:11 AM
If only there was a way you could look at someone and determine if they are possibly in a gang.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-06-2012, 02:37 AM
http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/fn2/video/090512_manning_jersey_640.jpg

What a gangbanger might look like. You can tell by the jersey.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-06-2012, 02:47 AM
http://tharow.tvn.hu/c1.jpg

These gentlemen are obviously not in a gang. You can tell from the jersey worn by the young man in the front row.

That One Guy
09-06-2012, 07:28 AM

I don't want to put them all in jail. Let them kill each other off but don't make me pay for them.

I think jail terms shouldn't be any longer than about 1 year. If it's more serious than that, just start gassing them. Tired of this 'lock 'em up forever' crap.

Pendejo
09-06-2012, 07:51 AM
LOL Greeley is so stupid. So glad I moved out of there.

Greeley is an outhouse. I was always surprised that when the sun came up the people didn't run for cover like so much vermin.

I have plenty of family that still live there, but they're clearly suspect. They live in ****ing Greeley.

bronco militia
09-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Greeley is an outhouse. I was always surprised that when the sun came up the people didn't run for cover like so much vermin.

I have plenty of family that still live there, but they're clearly suspect. They live in ****ing Greeley.

LOLLOLLOL

Boobs McGee
09-06-2012, 08:04 AM
This was being talked about on 104.3 the fan on my way in.

1st world problems.

errand
09-06-2012, 08:11 AM
lol, since when did jails stop gangs?! Last I checked, someone in prison can continue to run his gang from inside.

Well, then perhaps "Kill them all, let God sort them out" is a better way to deal with this gang bull****.

errand
09-06-2012, 08:17 AM
http://global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/fn2/video/090512_manning_jersey_640.jpg

What a gangbanger might look like. You can tell by the jersey.

I know...last thursday I was headed into Buffalo wild wings to watch Broncos play, but saw a group of kids and adults wearing that same jersey, and locked my car doors and fled the parking lot scared for my life.

****ing gangs are everywhere man!

Meck77
09-06-2012, 08:21 AM
We had a gang that popped up in high school. They called themselves the SOF. Society of friends. Ironically enough they wore raider ****. One halloween it was decided the rest of us would dress up like them (clowns). There were fights and arrests all day. That was the end of our gang issue.

The farm boys in Greeley need to take their town back. Sounds like they need a sheriff Joe Arapaoi. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

With HB1070 Arizona had become a place illegals do not want to be. I suspect many have fled to Colorado.

Why wouldn't they? You have idiots like Hickenlooper approving discounts to college for illegal aliens. http://thecoloradoobserver.com/2012/08/emails-reveal-hickenlooper-garcia-role-in-controversial-metro-state-illegal-alien-tuition-discount/ It's cheaper for an illegal to attend college then a legal citizen of Colorado.

RhymesayersDU
09-06-2012, 08:32 AM
If only there was a way you could look at someone and determine if they are possibly in a gang.

And be labeled a horrible racist? Oh no, we can't do that. We'll just treat everyone like gangbangers.

bronco militia
09-06-2012, 09:34 AM
http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/peypeygang.jpg

Dr. Broncenstein
09-06-2012, 09:39 AM
http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/peypeygang.jpg

This looks shopped. I can tell by the pixels, having seen a fair number of photoshopped images in the past.

DarkHorse30
09-06-2012, 09:49 AM
lolgreeley

agreed. This is the stupidest idea I've seen so far today (not counting yesterday because Bill Clinton was speaking). How about some law enforcement and putting the gang bangers back in their holes?....instead of honoring them by making policy around them....sheesh.

menonite
09-06-2012, 09:52 AM
"Alright, I'll kill a snitch!.I'm not saying I have, I'm not saying I haven't. you know what I mean... whatever"

bronco militia
09-06-2012, 09:54 AM
This looks shopped. I can tell by the pixels, having seen a fair number of photoshopped images in the past.

dammit!

Pony Boy
09-06-2012, 09:55 AM
I can remember when "Our Gang" looked like this

menonite
09-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Step 1: Allow criminals into the country.
Step 2 : Criminals scare the **** out of innocent law abiding citizens
Step 3: Create new laws that only restrict the freedoms of those same law abiding citizens
Step 4: Watch football and reality tv and pretend it isn't happening.
Step 5: brag about how free and awesome your country is.

menonite
09-06-2012, 09:59 AM
I can remember when "Our Gang" looked like this

Those poor kids were wiped out by the Little Rascals less than a year later in the great "Alfalfa vs Buckwheat" gang war.

razorwire77
09-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Simply put, most schools implement dress code/gang intervention policy at a district level. It's an all or nothing type situation. Even if Johnny is a sweet innocent wide-eyed Bronco fan, he may attend a school where some students are not. These types of policies are designed to protect non-gang affiliated students as well as reduce violence from external forces outside of the school. At my school we had to delay state mandated testing for an entire day because a 19-year-old Southside gang member who was driving by recognized a 15-year-old student at our school as being the brother of a rival gang member and pulled a 9 mm pistol out on him. Now if the guy driving by had decided to unload 10-15 rounds in the parking lot, the first thing he would look for would be students wearing certain colors, jerseys, or hats grouped together. He's not going to stop and be selective.

menonite
09-06-2012, 10:10 AM
It's for the children!

Surrender all of your freedoms to keep your children safe.

Don't lock up the criminals or anything extreme like that. Just let the government tell you what to wear and think and everything will be ok.

razorwire77
09-06-2012, 10:33 AM
It's for the children!

Surrender all of your freedoms to keep your children safe.

Don't lock up the criminals or anything extreme like that. Just let the government tell you what to wear and think and everything will be ok.

Stop being so melodramatic. Nearly every work place or school has a dress code or expectations of appropriate dress. It's not a manifestation of some lost imaginary freedom to say a kid can't have a pot leaf on his shirt, or a half naked women, or a Peyton Manning jersey. It's basically the same thing as requiring professional attire in a white collar profession, or a hard hat at a construction site.

I can tell you as someone with 4 years of teaching and administrative experience at a school in a neighborhood where Breaking Bad is afraid to film, that dress code policies reduce violence. This is particularly true during passing periods and lunch. Also, there are significant gang problems in many suburban schools where people assume the problem doesn't exist.

Cosmo
09-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Ok. I'll say one more thing and then I'm done trying to explain.

Greeley before = crime ridden, smelly place.

Greeley now = crime low, smelly twice a month.

This policy was a part of the change, I doubt they are going to give it up simply because someone complains about it.

menonite
09-06-2012, 10:37 AM
"pot leaf on his shirt, or a half naked women, or a Peyton Manning jersey."

One of these things is not like the other. But you can't even tell the difference anymore can you?

Rock Chalk
09-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Why not just make them wear uniforms?

Uniforms solve several problems.

1) No gang ****.
2) Kids with more can't flaunt it over kids with less.
3) Cheaper on the parents. Uniform clothing, generally, is inexpensive and can be replaced easy.
4) Consistency.

menonite
09-06-2012, 10:46 AM

becasue it's very important that we teach kids that nice clothes make you a better person, right?

We wouldn't want anyone to feel bad so we will just everyone "equal" or at least appear that way.

Cosmo
09-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Why not just make them wear uniforms?

Uniforms solve several problems.

1) No gang ****.
3) Cheaper on the parents. Uniform clothing, generally, is inexpensive and can be replaced easy.
4) Consistency.

Several schools in greeley do have uniforms, just not all because parents don't like it. I agree about it being easier on parents, but then they start talking about freedom of speech and expression and....oh wait, thats what we're all doing on here. hmm.

razorwire77
09-06-2012, 11:01 AM
"pot leaf on his shirt, or a half naked women, or a Peyton Manning jersey."

One of these things is not like the other. But you can't even tell the difference anymore can you?
To be blunt, you're talking out of your ass about a subject you no nothing about. Jerseys, hats, do-rags, certain numbers and symbols connected to gangs are pervasive in thousands of school-districts across America. Suburban schools with predominantly white suburban schools aren't immune and also have many of the same problems. Kids at these schools are wannabes or connected to tagging crews that essentially act as gangs. Often these parents don't even realize their kid is involved until a violent incident occurs.

School policies (like dress codes) are created by school-boards (usually non-teachers) and implemented as a response to a problem. It is impossible for an administrator, teacher, librarian to serve as a defacto gate keeper/dress cop. "OK Billy, you look like a nice innocent kid, you can wear a jersey today." "Sorry Juan, you're a gang member, so you can't wear the same exact jersey." That's not my job. My job is to provide a safe environment to educate students. A dress code helps this process and also helps to teach students what type of attire is acceptable in a professional environment.

BroncoBen
09-06-2012, 11:17 AM
School policies (like dress codes) are created by school-boards (usually non-teachers) and implemented as a response to a problem. It is impossible for an administrator, teacher, librarian to serve as a defacto gate keeper/dress cop. "OK Billy, you look like a nice innocent kid, you can wear a jersey today." "Sorry Juan, you're a gang member, so you can't wear the same exact jersey." That's not my job. My job is to provide a safe environment to educate students. A dress code helps this process and also helps to teach students what type of attire is acceptable in a professional environment.

I remember when my kid was in middle school and had to wear a 'school' uniform. Schools were having trouble with gangs beating up kids because they were wearing either a red polo shirt or blue polo shirt. Only kids in a gang could wear the red or blue polo shirts.

When administrators tried to crack down, the gangs changed to yellow polo shirts, or change the color of the belts.

It was a never ending cycle...

razorwire77
09-06-2012, 12:15 PM
I remember when my kid was in middle school and had to wear a 'school' uniform. Schools were having trouble with gangs beating up kids because they were wearing either a red polo shirt or blue polo shirt. Only kids in a gang could wear the red or blue polo shirts.

When administrators tried to crack down, the gangs changed to yellow polo shirts, or change the color of the belts.

That's actually a valid argument. I've seen it all. Kids will shave vertical lines in their eyebrows (one on the right side, three on the left side, which symbolizes 13.) Kids will arrange piercings to correspond to numbers. Hell, I've seen a 13-year-old 5'1" teenage girl get a certain number of stars tattooed on her neck to symbolize gang affiliation. Middle school kids will modify school uniforms to indicate membership.

Gang members will always be able to signify that they are gang members. Any decent administrator or teacher knows that a dress code isn't going to stop gangs.

However, the idea is to do your best to create an environment where attire is the least distracting as possible. It is also a valuable teaching tool to teach students that there are appropriate things to wear in a learning/professional environment and things that are not appropriate. More and more schools are being forced to take on the burden of educating students about basic life skills. For example, you shouldn't wear an XXXL Raider jersey to a job interview or to a court appearance. The dress code is also part of this type of process.

Miss I.
09-06-2012, 12:19 PM
That's actually a valid argument. I've seen it all. Kids will shave vertical lines in their eyebrows (one on the right side, three on the left side, which symbolizes 13.) Kids will arrange piercings to correspond to numbers. Hell, I've seen a 13-year-old 5'1" teenage girl get a certain number of stars tattooed on her neck to symbolize gang affiliation. Middle school kids will modify school uniforms to indicate membership.

Gang members will always be able to signify that they are gang members. Any decent administrator or teacher knows that a dress code isn't going to stop gangs.

However, the idea is to do your best to create an environment where attire is the least distracting as possible. It is also a valuable teaching tool to teach students that there are appropriate things to wear in a learning/professional environment and things that are not appropriate. More and more schools are being forced to take on the burden of educating students about basic life skills. For example, you shouldn't wear an XXXL Raider jersey to a job interview or to a court appearance. The dress code is also part of this type of process.

pretty sure you can end that sentence just as it is in bold. ;D probably don't need the XXXL, but that would also teach an important life lesson about portion control.

Meck77
09-06-2012, 02:22 PM
I say let them wear gang crap. If they do makes it easier to identify them to expel them one at a time.

jutang
09-06-2012, 02:54 PM
If they really wanted to screw with the gangs make a wear number 18 day, followed by a 13 day, 81 day, red day, blue day.... Etc etc

When their number/color no longer has any meaning they'll move one to other symbols.

spdirty
09-06-2012, 03:38 PM
The reason kids that young get recruited is because they are innocent. Gang members will do whatever to stay alive and strong. 13 and 14 are gang numbers, but gangs will invert the numbers to 41 & 31 just to keep flashing them where allowed. In Greeley, we ban even the inverted numbers.

Again, to those mocking Greeley, we now have less gang related problems than every major neighboring city. A lot of cops in other cities aren't happy about our past criminals moving to their cities.

Yeah, I understand and don't get me wrong, I'm not slamming your policy, but the fact that you guys have to have that policy is why Greeley is a ****hole.

I lived there for 4 years, from '92-'95. The gang problem was everywhere then too. The culture was toxic. Back then they all wore Raiders and Cowboys gear. Others wore the wife beaters with beige baggy pants and white shoes. Ugh, just thinking about those days turns my stomach. You couldn't give me a million dollars to move back there and raise my kids.

Boobs McGee
09-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Here's where I come out on this...

I know nothing about the area in question (although I hear it's quite fragrant). If the school officials of that district are keeping tabs on crime levels , and on a daily basis witness how certain types of dress incite violence/gang activity/dangerous behavior, then I have no problems with their judgement calls in relation to student safety. If their statistics show that wearing a silver tiara is some form of MS13 sign likely to get a student injured, then no more silver tiaras. In this case, certain numbers directly correlate to gang violence. As a parent, KNOWING that your child could be put in harms way for dressing in that particular fashion, how could you even begin to get angry?

I knew, living in the ****ty ass part of Long Beach, that if I wandered out in a blue sweatshirt there was a chance that my life could be in danger. Not because I'm a hardcore gangbanger lookin to get into some ****, but simply because of what it implied...so I didn't wear it. I valued my existence on earth.

If officials (and I don't know for sure what the statistics are, but from everything officials are saying, this area is known for gang violence) tell you to not wear a certain number to school because KIDS HAVE GOTTEN BEATEN FOR WEARING IT BEFORE, then don't ****ing send your kid to school with that jersey on. The rules are in place for your kids protection. I'm sorry if fortune hasn't been kind, and you're forced to reside in that type of area , but abide by the rules set in place by the people you pay to protect your children. I love the Broncos too, and can't wait to show my kids' allegiance someday, but I'm not going to risk harm to them if there is a dress code in place specifically suited to that reason. Hell, send him to school in a Knowshon jersey. If they say THAT number is dangerous, then try something else. If they say it's color related, then for ****s sake send your kid to school naked.

The fact that some parent is SELFISH enough to b**** and moan about safety precautions tells you a lot about the parent. 1st world problems right here.

And yes, it's fun to joke about (oooo, my kids a gangster hahaha), but seriously. Would you knowingly risk your child's health simply because you want to throw a middle finger to a dress code?

razorwire77
09-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Here's where I come out on this...

I know nothing about the area in question (although I hear it's quite fragrant). If the school officials of that district are keeping tabs on crime levels , and on a daily basis witness how certain types of dress incite violence/gang activity/dangerous behavior, then I have no problems with their judgement calls in relation to student safety. If their statistics show that wearing a silver tiara is some form of MS13 sign likely to get a student injured, then no more silver tiaras. In this case, certain numbers directly correlate to gang violence. As a parent, KNOWING that your child could be put in harms way for dressing in that particular fashion, how could you even begin to get angry?

I knew, living in the ****ty ass part of Long Beach, that if I wandered out in a blue sweatshirt there was a chance that my life could be in danger. Not because I'm a hardcore gangbanger lookin to get into some ****, but simply because of what it implied...so I didn't wear it. I valued my existence on earth.

If officials (and I don't know for sure what the statistics are, but from everything officials are saying, this area is known for gang violence) tell you to not wear a certain number to school because KIDS HAVE GOTTEN BEATEN FOR WEARING IT BEFORE, then don't ****ing send your kid to school with that jersey on. The rules are in place for your kids protection. I'm sorry if fortune hasn't been kind, and you're forced to reside in that type of area , but abide by the rules set in place by the people you pay to protect your children. I love the Broncos too, and can't wait to show my kids' allegiance someday, but I'm not going to risk harm to them if there is a dress code in place specifically suited to that reason. Hell, send him to school in a Knowshon jersey. If they say THAT number is dangerous, then try something else. If they say it's color related, then for ****s sake send your kid to school naked.

The fact that some parent is SELFISH enough to b**** and moan about safety precautions tells you a lot about the parent. 1st world problems right here.

And yes, it's fun to joke about (oooo, my kids a gangster hahaha), but seriously. Would you knowingly risk your child's health simply because you want to throw a middle finger to a dress code?
:thumbsup:

In terms of education. . .One of the biggest social issues facing our country (aside from generations of men who refuse to be fathers to their children), are parent(s) that assume school policies are designed to somehow rob/wrong their son/daughter of some sort of perceived right. "My child's individuality. . . My child's freedom of expression" Boo ****ing hoo. Not allowing your child to wear a jersey or a halter top to school, or banning your kid from driving on campus because they drive like a jackass is not a 1st Amendment issue. There are all sorts of places you can't wear X,Y, or Z. . . . All sorts of jobs where you can't wear X, Y, or Z. . . .

Telling your kid he can't wear X, Y, or Z, because there is a genuine cause for a safety concern is not a first amendment issue. In addition, if anything happens to a child on school grounds between the hours of 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. (even if school has been dismissed since 3 p.m.) The school will usually be sued and found to be liable. And believe me there are plenty of "parents" out there who would drop a 4th grader off at school (two hours before school starts) wearing a Raider 13 or Dodger Blue jersey and then blame the school when something bad happened.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-06-2012, 05:18 PM
:thumbsup:

In terms of education. . .One of the biggest social issues facing our country (aside from generations of men who refuse to be fathers to their children), are parent(s) that assume school policies are designed to somehow rob/wrong their son/daughter of some sort of perceived right. "My child's individuality. . . My child's freedom of expression" Boo ****ing hoo. Not allowing your child to wear a jersey or a halter top to school, or banning your kid from driving on campus because they drive like a jackass is not a 1st Amendment issue. There are all sorts of places you can't wear X,Y, or Z. . . . All sorts of jobs where you can't wear X, Y, or Z. . . .

Telling your kid he can't wear X, Y, or Z, because there is a genuine cause for a safety concern is not a first amendment issue. In addition, if anything happens to a child on school grounds between the hours of 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. (even if school has been dismissed since 3 p.m.) The school will usually be sued and found to be liable. And believe me there are plenty of "parents" out there who would drop a 4th grader off at school (two hours before school starts) wearing a Raider 13 or Dodger Blue jersey and then blame the school when something bad happened.

The biggest social problem. The reasons gangs exist in the first place.

errand
09-06-2012, 05:35 PM

WTF are the schools gonna do if the gangs decide to make their gang colors the same as the schools?

errand
09-06-2012, 05:45 PM
For example, you shouldn't wear an XXXL Raider jersey to a job interview or to a court appearance. The dress code is also part of this type of process.

Of course the irony is that wearing a Raiders XXXL jersey is probably what leads to your court appearance, no?

gunns
09-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Several schools in greeley do have uniforms, just not all because parents don't like it. I agree about it being easier on parents, but then they start talking about freedom of speech and expression and....oh wait, thats what we're all doing on here. hmm.

Love it when freedom of expression and individuality argument comes up when proposing uniforms. Clothes are the way we want our kids to express their individuality? Oh God help us.

extralife
09-06-2012, 07:29 PM

End of the thread, really

The default reaction of a stupid person to something they do not understand is to assume they understand it and then make it about them.

DHallblows
09-06-2012, 07:45 PM
I say let them wear gang crap. If they do makes it easier to identify them to expel them one at a time.

Because that's definitely going to lessen the likelihood that they'll stay in the gang lifestyle...

DHallblows
09-06-2012, 07:46 PM
And can't we all agree Greeley is one of the worst towns in CO?

Cosmo
09-06-2012, 08:14 PM

I'd stay here over just about any city near or around Denver. Although I do prefer Fort Collins to Greeley.

spdirty
09-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Love it when freedom of expression and individuality argument comes up when proposing uniforms. Clothes are the way we want our kids to express their individuality? Oh God help us.

I don't know. My little guy loves his cowboy boots. I didn't raise him to love em, his friends don't wear em, nobody ever encouraged him to wear them, but 2 years ago he asked for them for Christmas and he gets a new pair twice a year and wears those things everywhere he goes until he wears them out. That's one of the many things about him that makes me smile. So to a point I can understand that.

However, if our school came to us with a good reason for school uniforms, I would never argue against it. There are places where uniforms are necessary, places where they aren't. Greeley obviously is one of those places where they are.

spdirty
09-06-2012, 08:23 PM

Yes. They should rename it shlthole.

cutthemdown
09-06-2012, 10:14 PM
I don't know. My little guy loves his cowboy boots. I didn't raise him to love em, his friends don't wear em, nobody ever encouraged him to wear them, but 2 years ago he asked for them for Christmas and he gets a new pair twice a year and wears those things everywhere he goes until he wears them out. That's one of the many things about him that makes me smile. So to a point I can understand that.

However, if our school came to us with a good reason for school uniforms, I would never argue against it. There are places where uniforms are necessary, places where they aren't. Greeley obviously is one of those places where they are.

I don't have kids so would only be guessing at this stuff. But I would think uniforms would make it easier on the parents shopping for school clothes. I would think that is sort of a pretty big bonus thinking how expensive that can be. Also now kids without money don't have to feel like other kids dressed better etc. And it removes all the problems with gang or outfits that are too revealing etc etc.

I think school uniforms a good idea, but then also maybe some fridays where they can dress like they want, or days where you can wear favorite sports team.

Not sure banning certain teams or numbers makes the kids safer. If it doesn't make them safer is it really worth it?

ol#7
09-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Simply put, most schools implement dress code/gang intervention policy at a district level. It's an all or nothing type situation. Even if Johnny is a sweet innocent wide-eyed Bronco fan, he may attend a school where some students are not. These types of policies are designed to protect non-gang affiliated students as well as reduce violence from external forces outside of the school. At my school we had to delay state mandated testing for an entire day because a 19-year-old Southside gang member who was driving by recognized a 15-year-old student at our school as being the brother of a rival gang member and pulled a 9 mm pistol out on him. Now if the guy driving by had decided to unload 10-15 rounds in the parking lot, the first thing he would look for would be students wearing certain colors, jerseys, or hats grouped together. He's not going to stop and be selective.

Better hope he doesnt drive by Mile High on Sunday then. You had the nerve to call Menonite melodramatic.

Bacchus
09-07-2012, 12:20 AM

Raider gang bangers have been doing it for years.

DHallblows
09-07-2012, 07:34 AM
I'd stay here over just about any city near or around Denver. Although I do prefer Fort Collins to Greeley.

Which part do you enjoy the most about Greeley? The daily smell of feces? The overwhelming gang problems? The average college? The below average K-12 system? Having to drive to Centerra for any real infrastructure?

It has the cheapest rent out of the college towns, so it has that going for it. I can't imagine why...

razorwire77
09-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Better hope he doesnt drive by Mile High on Sunday then. You had the nerve to call Menonite melodramatic.

Thanks for the 3 neg reps without contributing anything to the conversation. Jackass.

Cosmo
09-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Which part do you enjoy the most about Greeley? The daily smell of feces? The overwhelming gang problems? The average college? The below average K-12 system? Having to drive to Centerra for any real infrastructure?

It has the cheapest rent out of the college towns, so it has that going for it. I can't imagine why...

I never lived here when it was a daily smell. It only smells 2-4 times a month now, but I can imagine if that was daily it would be awful.

Gang problems are minimal now because of the police and anti-gang policies of schools.

School system suffers from having lost most of our achieving kids to other districts, the teachers here are great, just test schools look like crap.

What exactly is in Centerra that isn't here in Greeley? Chick fil a?

Anyways, I like being in an Ag town. Its conservative here, still developing so the cost of living is cheaper. Its away from I-25 but close enough that travel doesn't suck. Its not overpopulated like other cities and most of you hate it. Yes, I like Greeley because its our little secret that our town is actually pretty damn good but you all think its still how it used to be.

Cosmo
09-07-2012, 10:59 AM

Oh, and yes, UNC sucks, I'm a CSU Alum. And I did mention that I'd rather live in Fort Collins, but can't afford it or get a job there.