PDA

View Full Version : Steven Johnson's dad is very proud

BowlenBall
09-04-2012, 06:18 AM
JOHNSON ALL SMILES AFTER BEATING ODDS

Linebacker Steven Johnson had a once-in-a-lifetime experience on Friday when he learned that he made the Broncos 53-man roster as an undrafted rookie.
Once he got the news, Johnson called his dad and experienced another first.
“He was excited at first, and then he started crying,” Johnson said. “It was weird. I’ve never seen my dad cry, but he was very excited.”
Soon enough, the whole family had learned the news.
“They’re just very excited with joy that I made my dream come true,” he said.
Johnson, who led the team in the preseason with 15 tackles, had a similar reaction upon hearing the news. After walking on to the Kansas Jayhawks football team four years ago, making an NFL roster is even more of an accomplishment.
“I couldn’t stop smiling,” Johnson said. “I kind of did it again. Being a college free agent is kind of like being a walk-on. I beat those odds twice, and I’m just looking forward to the opportunity.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20037633/broncos-notebook-knowshon-moreno-picks-up-his-pace

I wonder how many NFL players were college walk-ons... kind of amazing, if you think about it.

Broncos_OTM
09-04-2012, 06:55 AM
yeah he beat the odds. congrats. now go hit someone would ya :-)

JLesSPE
09-04-2012, 07:07 AM
What a great story, I didn't know he was a walk-on in college too. I hope he's productive for us for a long time.

Just a side note, that link takes me to an article about Knowshon.

cmhargrove
09-04-2012, 07:11 AM
That's two years and two solid undrafted players from Kansas.

I really like Johnson and hope he continues to develop. The kid plays hard, is a good tackler, and seems like the kind of guy you want on your team.

I also love the message that Fox is sending. Even undrafted rookies will get a roster spot if they are the best players. I think that creates a very healthy competitive atmosphere. Brooking was the only one who made the roster based on reputation and past experience alone.

Binkythefrog
09-04-2012, 07:17 AM
http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2012/09/04/sports/doc504578f8c7363862512100.txt

Local article on Johnson - guys like this have lots of hunger - looking forward to seeing what he does on Special Teams.

Kaylore
09-04-2012, 07:29 AM
Brooking was the only one who made the roster based on reputation and past experience alone.

He's probably gone once DJ's suspension ends.

Houshyamama
09-04-2012, 07:50 AM
edit: too early

Requiem
09-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Great read, thanks for sharing.

Extremely pleased that the Broncos have found some solid contributors from the Jayhawks as UDFA the past few years. More importantly, we seem to have gotten some talent later on in the draft as well, Malik Jackson comes to mind this year and hopefully Bolden (even though a fourth rounder) can hit that list as well.

At the end of the day, it looks like we are focusing on getting players who just LOVE the game of football and will bring it every down, regardless of press clippings and accolades. I think that certainly helps.

Houshyamama
09-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Great read, thanks for sharing.

Extremely pleased that the Broncos have found some solid contributors from the Jayhawks as UDFA the past few years. More importantly, we seem to have gotten some talent later on in the draft as well, Malik Jackson comes to mind this year and hopefully Bolden (even though a fourth rounder) can hit that list as well.

At the end of the day, it looks like we are focusing on getting players who just LOVE the game of football and will bring it every down, regardless of press clippings and accolades. I think that certainly helps.

I think Bolden will struggle at CB for a good while, but it would be GREAT to have a difference maker at KR.

Stuck in Cali
09-04-2012, 08:07 AM

Maybe, but could be Brookings gone instead.

gyldenlove
09-04-2012, 08:28 AM

I can guarantee that someone will have hit IR before DJ comes back from suspension.

Houshyamama
09-04-2012, 08:34 AM
I can guarantee that someone will have hit IR before DJ comes back from suspension.

http://i.imgur.com/gcZ9p.gif

tsiguy96
09-04-2012, 08:50 AM
its so ridiculously difficult to make a team as a walk on (unless you are a preferred walk on). to do that followed by making the NFL as an UDFA is a great story.

Beantown Bronco
09-04-2012, 09:12 AM
it would be GREAT to have a difference maker at KR.

Our leading kick returner last year had only 8 total returns. I'm not sure how much of a difference you can really make when you go entire games without seeing a returnable kick.

Houshyamama
09-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Our leading kick returner last year had only 8 total returns. I'm not sure how much of a difference you can really make when you go entire games without seeing a returnable kick.

Yeah I was going to mention that :giggle: I didn't know the exact number but I knew it was low. Why is it that he isn't being used as a PR? I've always wondered why teams will often have a different KR and PR.

Rabb
09-04-2012, 09:30 AM

I totally agree with what you are saying, but I swear you have a word filter/alert system set up to pounce on this when it's brought up lol.

Even if it's just 8 kicks, having someone that can do something isn't a bad thing, just doesn't warrant a huge investment.

dictionary
09-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Yeah I was going to mention that :giggle: I didn't know the exact number but I knew it was low. Why is it that he isn't being used as a PR? I've always wondered why teams will often have a different KR and PR.

I feel like your PR has a greater chance of getting destroyed than a KR. KR you have more space to run/protect yourself. Not so much with a punt, but that is just my thought on it.

55CrushEm
09-04-2012, 09:34 AM
its so ridiculously difficult to make a team as a walk on (unless you are a preferred walk on). to do that followed by making the NFL as an UDFA is a great story.

"I'm gonna go get 'da papah's....get 'da papah's"

Beantown Bronco
09-04-2012, 09:44 AM
I totally agree with what you are saying, but I swear you have a word filter/alert system set up to pounce on this when it's brought up lol.

I do have to admit, my eyes light up any time someone mentions kick returning in Denver.

Even if it's just 8 kicks, having someone that can do something isn't a bad thing, just doesn't warrant a huge investment.

Exactly. I'm usually only vocal about my feelings when someone from the "Devin Hester brigade" starts talking about making the position some point of real emphasis over other positions.

broncocalijohn
09-04-2012, 10:02 AM

we got it the first time. Care to delete the other 2?

DENVERDUI55
09-04-2012, 10:23 AM

Unless DJ gets drunk and drives again.

Kaylore
09-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Maybe, but could be Brookings gone instead.
????
Brooking was the only one who made the roster based on reputation and past experience alone.
And it's Brooking, not Brookings.

mkporter
09-04-2012, 01:58 PM
????

And it's Brooking, not Brookings.

Maybe he meant that it's probably DJ that's gone when his suspension ends? That's my feeling anyway, unless we're really struggling at LB, or we've had some injuries.

tsiguy96
09-04-2012, 01:59 PM
we got it the first time. Care to delete the other 2?

OM must have errored, i pressed it once and board default doesnt allow multiple posts. vierd.

Rock Chalk
09-04-2012, 02:46 PM
What a great story, I didn't know he was a walk-on in college too. I hope he's productive for us for a long time.

I did, but then, I should.

I dont know if Steven Johnson is going to be a solid pro for us or not but I know that kid is all heart and was one of my favorite Jayhawks. It sucks that he had to endure two years of that douchebag Turner Gill.

Kaylore
09-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Maybe he meant that it's probably DJ that's gone when his suspension ends? That's my feeling anyway, unless we're really struggling at LB, or we've had some injuries.

Ah! Well it depends how horrid our linebackers are and how many more games they tack on for his being found guilty. If they suspend four more, for example, and he can't play for ten games, and the rest of the linebackers step up enough, it wouldn't shock me.

BowlenBall
09-04-2012, 08:45 PM

The part that I pasted was the second item in that link -- they must have removed it for some reason. Weird.

cutthemdown
09-04-2012, 08:55 PM

This.

broncosteven
09-04-2012, 08:59 PM

Maybe Detroit will have given us a 7th for KM by then!

LOL

Mogulseeker
09-04-2012, 09:31 PM
I hope this isn't just another fluff story.

I was excited about Rulon Davis (another UDFA) back in 2009. Thought he could have done something. Unfortunately, he didn't.

UberBroncoMan
09-05-2012, 02:03 AM

Thinking the same thing.

Personally, I'd toss Brooking and keep the young guy.

BowlenBall
09-05-2012, 03:07 AM
Thinking the same thing.

Personally, I'd toss Brooking and keep the young guy.

Agreed -- we don't need any more "slow-moving white Bronco" jokes in the national media.