PDA

View Full Version : GQ Magazine : The NFL's top rookie pass-rusher Von Miller on the Denver Broncos' offseason overhaul

Bronco Rob
09-03-2012, 08:40 PM
The NFL's top rookie pass-rusher Von Miller on the Denver Broncos' offseason overhaul

By Peter Schager September 2012

All the news out of Denver this offseason was about the arrival of Peyton Manning and the exit of Tim Tebow. But with all due respect to the NFL's future Hall of Fame quarterback, the Broncos season might hinge more on a guy who plays on the other side of the ball: linebacker Von Miller, last season's NFL defensive rookie of the year.

GQ: Who were the pass rushers you grew up watching?

Von Miller: I grew up in Dallas, Texas, so I was always a big time Dallas Cowboys fan. I grew up watching DeMarcus Ware. That was my guy.

GQ: As far as technique goes, do you study other pass rushers' techniques?

Von Miller: Yes, sir. I'll watch DeMarcus Ware's tape and try to pick up little things. We play a similar position, so I'll watch and see what he does off the ball, after the snap. He's a speed rusher like me. I watch his tape all the time.

GQ: You played a unique position at Texas A&M called the "Joker." in which they used you all over the defense—not just at linebacker. How did that versatility help you when you got to the pros?

Von Miller: It was great. Defense is all about rushing the passer, and I got to rush the passer from different spots in college. It's all about getting to that quarterback. When I got to the pros, it was the same thing. Get to the quarterback.

GQ: As your rookie season went on, did you find yourself seeing things differently?

[b]Von Miller: I always preach, "Take it one day at a time." And you know, it wasn't too hard. The hardest thing about it was just being consistent. It's a long season in the NFL. You've just got to keep it up the whole way. Week in and week out.

GQ: Talk about your thought process on each play, trying to get to the quarterback before he can get rid of the ball.

Von Miller: It's a race. How fast can I get from Point A to Point B? Most of the time, I don't even see the offensive lineman or the running back trying to block me. I'm just focused on that quarterback. How fast can I get to him? How can I get a hand on him? It's like getting that last candy bar. You know, those offensive tackles are way bigger than us pass rushers. So, how can I get past him and get his last piece of candy? You've got to get to the ball. You've got to get that candy.

GQ: And when you get to the quarterback, what's that feeling like?

Von Miller: A quarterback sack is like a touchdown for us defensive players.

GQ: What's it like when you see the offensive tackle's spirit being broken after you've beaten him a few times?

Von Miller: That's why you play the game—to beat another grown man against his will. He's trying to do all he can to stop you. And he can't.

GQ: How excited are you to play with Peyton Manning this season?

Von Miller: Oh, I'm really excited. We've got a Hall of Fame player on defense in Champ Bailey. We've got a Hall of Fame quarterback in Peyton Manning. It's incredibly exciting to play with both of those guys on my team.

Read More http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201209/von-miller-nfl-gq-september-2012#ixzz25T718Ie1

:~ohyah!:

BowlenBall
09-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Nice find -- thanks for posting!

"That's why you play the game—to beat another grown man against his will."

Baba Booey
09-04-2012, 06:23 AM
"You've got to get that candy."

TheReverend
09-04-2012, 06:43 AM
"Grew up watching Ware."

**** I'm getting old.

Denver Bronco56
09-04-2012, 07:22 AM
I thought from everything I read he idolized Derrick Thomas?

gyldenlove
09-04-2012, 07:30 AM
"Grew up watching Ware."

**** I'm getting old.

Dude, you are old as ****.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-04-2012, 07:34 AM
GQ: What's it like when you see the offensive tackle's spirit being broken after you've beaten him a few times?

Von Miller: That's why you play the game—to beat another grown man against his will. He's trying to do all he can to stop you. And he can't.

If you guys will excuse me, I'm off to run through a goddamn brick wall. TTYL.

Houshyamama
09-04-2012, 07:41 AM
"Grew up watching Ware."

**** I'm getting old.

This was exactly my thought.

dictionary
09-04-2012, 08:33 AM

I think that stemmed from Elway's quote about Von's natural athletic gifts. Von asked for 58 as a nod to Elway's value on Von's ability--so far they were both correct.

TheReverend
09-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Dude, you are old as ****.

Then you're slightly older as ****. :)

Bronco Rob
09-04-2012, 10:36 AM

What is Miller’s ceiling? How good can he become? I asked Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. whether he thinks Miller can become the game’s next well-rounded star at linebacker. His response was eye-popping. Williamson has been in NFL buildings. He knows scouting. He does not major in hyperbole. I’ve always found his analysis of players to be level-headed and without nonsense.

So when Williamson said “Miller’s ceiling is being the very best defensive player in the NFL and a Hall of Famer,” I didn’t take it lightly.

The Broncos’ coaches love that Miller feels the urgent need to become a complete player. They know they have a star on their hands. They love that Miller doesn’t act like one.

“Von Miller is a young player with a lot of talent that is only scratching the surface right now,” new Broncos defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio said. “He could be phenomenal; he just needs to continue to work.”

Added Fox: “The sky really is the limit. He can be as good as he wants to be, and Von wants to be really good.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/47526/what-is-von-millers-ceiling

Glad that Von isn't content on being a "one trick pony" ala derrick thomas. Instead he's working hard to become a complete player one worthy of comparison to Lawrence Taylor.

:thumbs:

ludo21
09-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Im converting my DJ Jersey into a Von Miller one! ;D

Beantown Bronco
09-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Im converting my DJ Jersey into a Von Miller one! ;D

Ummmm, how does one do that?

Rabb
09-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Ummmm, how does one do that?

Tape the second 5 to look like an 8 I am guessing

bronco militia
09-04-2012, 11:03 AM
fluffy article...

ZZZ...

Flex Gunmetal
09-04-2012, 11:35 AM
How can I get a hand on him? It's like getting that last candy bar.
I love this dude!

http://i.imgur.com/cGy8P.jpg

Cleo McDowell
09-04-2012, 11:35 AM
converting my Steve Russ jersey. brb

kdissette
09-04-2012, 04:53 PM
"Grew up watching Ware."

**** I'm getting old.

me too i was thinking...Neil Smith...is that too soon lol...ware is still playin makes me feel good that we have this kid locked up for a long time and hopefully getting him a good long contract sooner than later

TheReverend
09-04-2012, 05:00 PM
I love this dude!

http://i.imgur.com/cGy8P.jpg

New favorite pic of all time. Repped.

PS. New supp log up. Swing by for reps bro (am over 20k now).

me too i was thinking...Neil Smith...is that too soon lol...ware is still playin makes me feel good that we have this kid locked up for a long time and hopefully getting him a good long contract sooner than later

Point of reference:

Ware was drafted only ONE YEAR before Elvis.