PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 Depth Chart Released

Inkana7
09-03-2012, 04:48 PM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2012/9/3/3289969/broncos-release-their-week-one-depth-chart

Nothing surprising. Knowshon's the #2 back, Moore is starting at FS, Leonhard is our PR, Bolden the KR. Dreessen has rightly surpassed Tamme as starting TE.

Nothing that shocking, but man, I'm so excited for Sunday!

oubronco
09-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Kuper starting?

I believe Carter is a better safety and will supplant Moore by week 3-4

swaiy
09-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Knowshon #2 :~ohyah!:

Tim
09-03-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm interested to see what the new nickle package will be week 1.

extralife
09-03-2012, 05:04 PM
CJ Davis backup center, Blake at guard

canadianbroncosfan
09-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Hmm Manning ended up beating out Hanie hey? Little shocked by that one I must say.

bowtown
09-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Colquitt locks it up again!

broncosteven
09-03-2012, 05:53 PM
I wonder if KM didn't get promoted to #2 in order to get a 6th round pick out of Detroit instead of just a 7th?

LOL

Popps
09-03-2012, 06:00 PM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2012/9/3/3289969/broncos-release-their-week-one-depth-chart

Nothing surprising. Knowshon's the #2 back, Moore is starting at FS, Leonhard is our PR, Bolden the KR. Dreessen has rightly surpassed Tamme as starting TE.

Nothing that shocking, but man, I'm so excited for Sunday!

Roster is shaping up nicely. Save the linebacker spot... when was the last time we had this kind of talent spread on this team?

Exciting stuff. Sunday can't get here soon enough.

Thank you Mr. Bowlen and Mr. Elway.

jsco70
09-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Roster is shaping up nicely. Save the linebacker spot... when was the last time we had this kind of talent spread on this team?

Exciting stuff. Sunday can't get here soon enough.

Thank you Mr. Bowlen and Mr. Elway.

I have high hopes for Trevathan and Johnson...hoping they can help solidfy the LB corps until Williams returns. Shoot, even Irving showed me something during the preseason. I think, overall, the defense is shaping up nicely.

Lycan
09-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Dreesen surprised me in the pre-season. He looked like a pretty decent receiving option, although I was a little underwhelmed by Tamme's performance. And Thomas just looked completely lost, hopefully that was the injuries but when Virgil Green comes back he is most likely gone.

The RBs surprised me a little, with Knowshon at #2, but I doubt who's #2, #3 etc. will matter once the games start. Whoever plays well will continue to play.

And for once I am actually excited to see the D-Line play. That's different than the usual feeling of dread.

extralife
09-03-2012, 06:35 PM
And Thomas just looked completely lost, hopefully that was the injuries but when Virgil Green comes back he is most likely gone.

I think we should give Kellen Winslow a shot. This is a pretty TE heavy offense and right now we've basically got two of them. I don't think anyone trusts Thomas on the field.

gyldenlove
09-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Dreesen surprised me in the pre-season. He looked like a pretty decent receiving option, although I was a little underwhelmed by Tamme's performance. And Thomas just looked completely lost, hopefully that was the injuries but when Virgil Green comes back he is most likely gone.

The RBs surprised me a little, with Knowshon at #2, but I doubt who's #2, #3 etc. will matter once the games start. Whoever plays well will continue to play.

And for once I am actually excited to see the D-Line play. That's different than the usual feeling of dread.

I think the RB spot is about specialties more than numbers. Mcgahee is going to get the lions share of the running downs when he is healthy and Moreno and Ball will presumably each get some relief work and some passing downs.

Should Mcgahee go down, I think the snaps will be split between all 3 backups.

ant1999e
09-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Back up QB situation is scary but I guess it usually is.

Jekyll15Hyde
09-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Brooking is backup at Will? I thought they wanted him at Mike? Sad to see Trevathan at #3.

Crushisback
09-03-2012, 06:52 PM
I love the versatility on our Dline this year. Everyone of our DE's except Doom can move inside on passing downs.

Broncos_OTM
09-03-2012, 07:07 PM
I love the versatility on our Dline this year. Everyone of our DE's except Doom can move inside on passing downs.

I don't know if you remember but at one time they though dumervil would be good at tackle in nickle situations

Hamrob
09-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Depth might be better than last year...but, still disapointing.

Unrein and Carter are jokes.

Outside of Von, our LB's all suck! They'd be hard pressed to make any other team. Woodyard for special teams only.

Ramirez, Clark, and Davis....that's the best we can do for depth on the oline....?

Good thing we have solid TE's who will catch a lot of balls, because after Decker and Thomas....ouch!

cutthemdown
09-03-2012, 10:14 PM
It's time for Rahim Moore to step up. I know a lot of people on the board write him off as a liability but I really hope he can play.

cutthemdown
09-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Depth might be better than last year...but, still disapointing.

Unrein and Carter are jokes.

Outside of Von, our LB's all suck! They'd be hard pressed to make any other team. Woodyard for special teams only.

Ramirez, Clark, and Davis....that's the best we can do for depth on the oline....?

Good thing we have solid TE's who will catch a lot of balls, because after Decker and Thomas....ouch!

The reality is the Broncos still need this yrs draft picks to have 1 or 2 good starters in it, then also FA and draft next yr. Really the talent was poor when Elway took over. I'm actually amazed he has brought it this far this fast.

If we don't get any more injuries, Kuper comes back at some point, we can maybe compete. But the depth is poor. If injuries hit this team would be in trouble.

Mogulseeker
09-03-2012, 10:23 PM
You know what... I'll admit it. I'm a Knowshon homer. I want the guy to do good.

I never saw him as a #1 workhorse, though. I do think he can be a solid 1a or 1b or 1c and a two or three back set, and thats really mostly what you can ask for in today's NFL.

Nice to see him at #2.

Mogulseeker
09-03-2012, 10:24 PM
The reality is the Broncos still need this yrs draft picks to have 1 or 2 good starters in it, then also FA and draft next yr. Really the talent was poor when Elway took over. I'm actually amazed he has brought it this far this fast.

If we don't get any more injuries, Kuper comes back at some point, we can maybe compete. But the depth is poor. If injuries hit this team would be in trouble.

Seriously. I give Elway an A- so far, easily.

I think Caldwell might show us something, and aside from the INT blunder, Stokes looked fantastic in preseason. At this point, I think I would have taken Orton over Willis, but we're talking #5 now.

Lestat
09-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Kuper starting?

I believe Carter is a better safety and will supplant Moore by week 3-4

they don't play the same position. Moore will be fine and Carter will likely jump over Adams once healthy and back into the groove he was in before getting hurt.

Taco John
09-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Surprised to see Knowshon at #2 given he was previously listed as "other." I hope he makes something out of it. He's got talent - now he needs to make some plays. I'm surprised to see Hillman behind ball. It'll be interesting to see how they utilize all these guys.

Kuper starting? I thought he'd be out longer. I hope they're not rushing him. We need him come December.

Stokley ahead of Caldwell? Not sure what to think about that.

Our depth along the d-line concerns me. We're going to be vulnerable to late game surges when we're caught in rotation, can't put pressure on the quarterback. Our safeties are a concern - by December, we're all going to be hot after whoever the hottest safety in college is.

Not surprised to see Brooking playing will. When DJ gets back, I think Brooking will be cut.

Strange to have a white guy wearing #45 as our leading punt returner.

theAPAOps5
09-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Last year when starters were injured they still listed them as #1 on the depth chart. Nothing to read into guys, I bet he is listed as out on the injury report even on Wednesday.

NUB
09-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Defense is just as wafer thin as it was pre-draft with a particularly glaring hole straight through nosetackle-mike-safeties.

Hulamau
09-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Taco the only reason Hilman is listed number 4 right now is from the missed games and TC practices. He's just getting his feet wet so it makes sense of is at the bottom of the totem pole , but that doesn't reflect how he will be used. As his Hammy gets to 100% and he continues to get in the groove of the NFL game we will be seeing more and more of him as the weeks go by.

BroncoLifer
09-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Colquitt locks it up again!

Well sure, they really didn't bring in any competition.

swaiy
09-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Well sure, they really didn't bring in any competition.

That's the joke lol

ZONA
09-04-2012, 12:22 AM
I have high hopes for Trevathan and Johnson...hoping they can help solidfy the LB corps until Williams returns. Shoot, even Irving showed me something during the preseason. I think, overall, the defense is shaping up nicely.

I know you are hyped but let's not get carried away. Irving showed exaactly nothing this preseason. Let's at least be real about that.

OrangeCrush2724
09-04-2012, 12:33 AM
A lot of hate on Moreno (and rightfully so) but he can be a dangerous back on third down for us with Manning. Let's hope he finally becomes the player we expected him to be.

Drek
09-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Nothing surprising.

I don't know, I'd say that Moore being listed above Leonhard as the starting FS is a surprise. Suggests that the light is finally coming on for Rahim.

A few other things I found interesting:
1. Blake apparently is so underwhelming he isn't even going to remain at center.
2. Tamme's shaky pre-season and now getting dropped below Dreessen is worrying. We really needed Tamme to step it up as the receiving option at TE, without him we look REAL thin at the position, unless Thomas can somehow have it click for him or Green is a revelation post-suspension.
3. Moreno at #2 - the staff clearly sees that he's the 2nd best back on the roster right now, regardless of their concerns about his work ethic and focus in previous years.
4. Ayers backing up Doom - hopefully a sign that Doom is going to get spelled frequently on running downs. He's not strong against the run and there is no point wasting his energies on fruitless efforts. His best seasons have all come when his run game responsibilities were reduced.
5. Maybe I'm just wishcasting but a career MLB like Brooking and a guy we drafted in the 3rd round at MLB in Irving both being moved to OLB with Johnson being Mays backup makes me think that Johnson has some potential.
6. Hanie's the #2 as much as Brady Quinn was last year. If Manning gets hurt Hanie might finish out the game but if it's more than a week or two Osweiler is going to be the guy behind center.

canadianbroncosfan
09-04-2012, 05:32 AM
Surprised to see Knowshon at #2 given he was previously listed as "other." I hope he makes something out of it. He's got talent - now he needs to make some plays. I'm surprised to see Hillman behind ball. It'll be interesting to see how they utilize all these guys.

Kuper starting? I thought he'd be out longer. I hope they're not rushing him. We need him come December.

Stokley ahead of Caldwell? Not sure what to think about that.

Our depth along the d-line concerns me. We're going to be vulnerable to late game surges when we're caught in rotation, can't put pressure on the quarterback. Our safeties are a concern - by December, we're all going to be hot after whoever the hottest safety in college is.

Not surprised to see Brooking playing will. When DJ gets back, I think Brooking will be cut.

Strange to have a white guy wearing #45 as our leading punt returner.

Really?

Based on their preseason performance, I totally agree with this. Stokely had some big strong plays and was pretty consistent. Caldwell had some pretty untimely drops.

Boogerboots
09-04-2012, 09:24 AM
As his Hammy gets to 100% and he continues to get in the groove of the NFL game we will be seeing more and more of him as the weeks go by.

Perhaps too early to consider him for ST duty but I wonder if Hillman would have any potential as a KR or PR? Would rather see him in there than a WR that could get blasted off the starting team like Decker.

Got to go get some new orange swag and get ready. Too bad we couldn't land ol' Bart Scott to patch up our LB corp.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aBaYVo89mmY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CAN'T WAIT!!!

lolcopter
09-04-2012, 09:46 AM
The Dreessen/Tamme situation makes perfect sense. Dreessen was always going to be the #1 inline blocking TE for run formations whereas Tamme will more often line up in the slot and be the 3rd/4th receiving option out of passing formations

hookemhess
09-04-2012, 09:58 AM
I wonder if KM didn't get promoted to #2 in order to get a 6th round pick out of Detroit instead of just a 7th?

LOL

We all like to bag on Knowshon... but when healthy, he's a pretty shifty back.

razorwire77
09-04-2012, 11:05 AM

Heavy is the head of the back that wears the top 15 draft pick crown.

If Moreno was a 4th round draft pick, the board response would be entirely different. As it stands, I think he could be a decent receiving back out of the backfield. Ability-wise, he's never going to be the guy that carries the ball 20, 25 times and dominates the 4th quarter, which are the expectations of a back drafted at no. 12. Once we accept that fact, I think he'll find a niche in the offense. He definitely ran hard the last two preseason games.

CEH
09-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Moreno broke the tie with his ability to pick up the blitz and to pick up the right blitzer

2KBack
09-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Heavy is the head of the back that wears the top 15 draft pick crown.

If Moreno was a 4th round draft pick, the board response would be entirely different. As it stands, I think he could be a decent receiving back out of the backfield. Ability-wise, he's never going to be the guy that carries the ball 20, 25 times and dominates the 4th quarter, which are the expectations of a back drafted at no. 12. Once we accept that fact, I think he'll find a niche in the offense. He definitely ran hard the last two preseason games.

Honestly, how many of those guys are really left anymore? I was discussing that with some friends after our fantasy draft. Most teams seem to want to spread those RB touches around these days. I think Moreno COULD do it, just like McGahee does do it, but I think they are more effective overall by splitting time. It's why I don't like spending anything above a 3rd round pick on a RB. Totally not the players fault for where they were taken though.

razorwire77
09-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Honestly, how many of those guys are really left anymore? I was discussing that with some friends after our fantasy draft. Most teams seem to want to spread those RB touches around these days. I think Moreno COULD do it, just like McGahee does do it, but I think they are more effective overall by splitting time. It's why I don't like spending anything above a 3rd round pick on a RB. Totally not the players fault for where they were taken though.

I actually think it's more than we might think. Off of the top of my head . . .

Feature backs that get 20 + carries regularly

AP (pre-injury)

Pocket Hercules

Chris Johnson (pre sucking)

Frank Gore

McFadden (pre-injury)

Aryan Foster

Rashard Mendenhall

Matt Forte

Tombstone RJ
09-04-2012, 01:00 PM

AP (pre-injury)

Pocket Hercules

Frank Gore

McFadden (pre-injury)

Aryan Foster

Rashard Mendenhall

Matt Forte

Are you guessing about these guys getting 20+ carries a game, just curious as to where you are getting this info. Also, you might notice that many of these 20+ carrie RBs are oft injured too. Hmm...

Lestat
09-04-2012, 01:03 PM

Adrian Peterson

Maurice Jones-Drew

Frank Gore

McFadden (pre-injury)

Arian Foster

Rashard Mendenhall

Matt Forte

only two of them are not the complete apex predator of their offense.
the phasing out of the franchise RB is occurring but you still have the rare bread of workhorse that is so integral to the offense that they are the offense.

Beantown Bronco
09-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Knowshon did have 12 games of at least 18 carries in 2009 and 2010, so he can definitely be the featured back when called upon. Add in his receiving touches, and he can be more of a "workhorse back" than people here give him credit for.

razorwire77
09-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Are you guessing about these guys getting 20+ carries a game, just curious as to where you are getting this info. Also, you might notice that many of these 20+ carrie RBs are oft injured too. Hmm...

Foster = 21.3 carries per game 13 games played

Jones Drew - 21.43 carries per game 16 games played

Ap (2010 last full season) = 18.8 carries 15 games played

Chris Johnson (2011 suck season) = 16.3 carries. 2010 season = 19.75 carries

Frank Gore = 17.6 carries

I stopped calculating after that. Point being, a quality feature back should be expected to be able to carry the ball 20 times per game (give or take). Even in a modern pass first NFL.

Play2win
09-04-2012, 01:14 PM
The way peyton moves protections around (ingenious BTW!), and that Moreno is good at that. I wouldn't take much for him to slip out for a quick reception, probably in open space to boot– where he's actually pretty good.

lolcopter
09-04-2012, 01:19 PM
JFC it's Arian not Aryan you guys

Play2win
09-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Peyton seems real good at the this/that stuff.

Like in bball... pump fake vs. drive to the hole. and the pick and roll.

He gets the defenders to commit, one way or another, then takes that.

I think to Manning, its a numbers game.

Tombstone RJ
09-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Foster = 21.3 carries per game 13 games played

Jones Drew - 21.43 carries per game 16 games played

Ap (2010 last full season) = 18.8 carries 15 games played

Chris Johnson (2011 suck season) = 16.3 carries. 2010 season = 19.75 carries

Frank Gore = 17.6 carries

I stopped calculating after that. Point being, a quality feature back should be expected to be able to carry the ball 20 times per game (give or take). Even in a modern pass first NFL.

I'd just worry about a 20+ carrie RB being healthy for a full season on a consistent basis.

TheReverend
09-04-2012, 02:02 PM
That's a pretty handsome roster.

Looking forward to Carter unseating Mike Adams sometime soon.

oubronco
09-04-2012, 02:38 PM
A lot of hate on Moreno (and rightfully so) but he can be a dangerous back on third down for us with Manning. Let's hope he finally becomes the player we expected him to be.

I hear what your sayin but think Hillman is a more dangerous third down back with his speed that is if his hammy doesn't bother hamper him

AmericanBroncFan
09-04-2012, 03:07 PM

He fumbles alot when he's healthy. I prefer him hurt on the bench not commiting turnovers

hambone13
09-04-2012, 03:51 PM
It's time for Rahim Moore to step up. I know a lot of people on the board write him off as a liability but I really hope he can play.

Safety is a rough position to walk into the nfl at. As we all know, it can be and is on many teams, the QB of the D. Give the guy a break, let him make mistakes and have a little faith.

AmericanBroncFan
09-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Safety is a rough position to walk into the nfl at. As we all know, it can be and is on many teams, the QB of the D. Give the guy a break, let him make mistakes and have a little faith.

The sissy NFL rules ruined him. He hasn't played with passion since his CLEAN HIT on the crap bills WR last preseason

hambone13
09-04-2012, 03:58 PM

His dancing is the problem. It's almost instinctual (Dance before Dash). He doesn't need to but he can't seem to break the habit. He needs more reps and film getting crushed but he can't seem to stay healthy. He has the talent, does he have the capacity to change, is my question.

ZONA
09-04-2012, 04:29 PM
I hear what your sayin but think Hillman is a more dangerous third down back with his speed that is if his hammy doesn't bother hamper him

It's going to be a good battle throughout the year between these two guys, both will be fighting for touches and to prove they should get the most behind McGahee. I'd say for the first 2 or 3 games it will probably be Moreno because of the Hillman hamstring problem, they don't want to much of a work load on him and cause a setback. If Moreno does well, I can see him holding on to that #2 spot and getting most of those touches. Even if he doesn't run super good and find all the holes he should, as long as he continues to do an excellent job at blitz pick up and if he can do a good job of not turning the ball over, he'll be solid #2. Haven't seen enough of Hillman in blitz pick up to say that he is good or bad at it, but I do know Moreno is really good at that. I'll sacrifice a few potential big plays from Hillman for the extra assurance that Manning will stay on his feet healthy and have those few extra seconds to scan the field and deliver.

kdissette
09-04-2012, 05:00 PM
i hope they stick travathan in on nickel at least i think they could have a gem there and hopefully they can work him into the game on a frequent basis. also no way hillman is 4th string they will work him in at least 5-6 plays a game. unless hes not 100% of course. and caldwell is a waste of money at this point id rather pay the same amount for TO or ocho...and i dont even like them but they even have better hands than that deer in headlights.

Inkana7
09-04-2012, 05:01 PM
He fumbles alot when he's healthy. I prefer him hurt on the bench not commiting turnovers

No he doesn't.

kdissette
09-04-2012, 05:03 PM

I think theyre gonna give him every chance in the world to justify his contract this year...and perhaps bump up his trade value early in the season so when kevin smith has someone sneeze on him and he breaks and ankle we might get a 2nd or 3rd rd pick for his slow ass....but he did look good last preseason game.

yerner
09-04-2012, 05:07 PM

he's fumbled 8 times in 36 games

http://www.nfl.com/player/knowshonmoreno/79619/careerstats

eddie mac
09-04-2012, 06:50 PM
How in the **** did Chris Clark and CJ Davis make this team???

gyldenlove
09-04-2012, 07:02 PM
How in the **** did Chris Clark and CJ Davis make this team???

Because depth at OL is woeful. They made it strictly because they know the system, not on talent.

hookemhess
09-04-2012, 09:59 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_D_Z-D2tzi14/S8TRIo4br3I/AAAAAAAACv4/Zh7_GcMlRKo/s400/ALOT.png