PDA

View Full Version : Football as we know it

AmericanBroncFan
09-01-2012, 09:49 PM
The game is heading in a direction I don't like. It is becoming the Arena League on grass/turf. The rule changes over the years based on "safety" has greatly helped the passing game where even scrubs like kyle orton can throw for 300yrds a game. 300 yard games were once only for special QB's or ones trailing by 20 at halftime. Before the QB became a stripper on a pole (untouchable) they wouldn't make it through a 16 game season throwing it like they do now. Defenses aren't playing to win anymore because of the rules, they are playing with hope the offense doesn't execute a play or two. Defenses always changed their style from 4-3 to 3-4 or even the 46 but now they aren't allowed to play with the same passion they used to. These so called "safety" changes are not just a spell the NFL is going through, it's ruining the game I grew to love. Our own DB's don't even play the ball anymore because of fear of pass interference. It's not as exciting when you know the rules allow both teams to score at will. Thats Arena football. GO BRONCOS!

houghtam
09-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Please kindly direct your sarcastic use of the word safety to the likes of the family of Dave Duerson.

"Waaaaah they're ruining MY game all on account of a few concussions a bunch of people I don't know got. Waaaaaah."

That is all, back to your regular programming.

Taco John
09-01-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm having a difficult time getting the image of Peyton Manning on a stripper pole out of my head now...

AmericanBroncFan
09-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Please kindly direct your sarcastic use of the word safety to the likes of the family of Dave Duerson.

"Waaaaah they're ruining MY game all on account of a few concussions a bunch of people I don't know got. Waaaaaah."

That is all, back to your regular programming.

Concussions are a scapegoat for a few who couldn't handle life without the game or because they went out as broke as they came in. The game was played for many many decades with concussions and WITHOUT all this girlie whining about getting hurt.

AmericanBroncFan
09-01-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm having a difficult time getting the image of Peyton Manning on a stripper pole out of my head now...

Hilarious!

Drek
09-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Concussions are a scapegoat for a few who couldn't handle life without the game or because they went out as broke as they came in. The game was played for many many decades with concussions and WITHOUT all this girlie whining about getting hurt.

Nice to know your opinion trumps all the knowledge modern medical science has spent the last 20+ years accumulating.

Why not go tell an Iraq or Afghanistan vet that the PTSD they're experiencing as a result of brain trauma is just "girlie whining" while you're at it.

Mogulseeker
09-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Not to mentio players are bigger, stronger and fast than they've ever been.

Sammy Baugh was an iron man in the NFL in the 30s.

In today's NFL, he'd get carted off with a career-ending injury before completing his first game.

Archer81
09-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Things change. Deal with it.

Of course I have a feeling you would have been one of those guys who would bitch about anesthesia after it was invented. "Knocking people out before you cut off a leg? What happened to the medeval surgical practices I've grown to love?"

:Broncos:

Kaylore
09-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Alright, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Do we really want to go back to the way it was, but is it really worse?

Exactly sixty years ago, In 1952, the average points per game (of all teams averaged together) was 22.3 points. Last year it was 22.2 points. Is the game less violent? Yes. But does the violence necessarily make it a better product? How many times in a game do remember a guy getting lit up? Did it really make the game that much better? We're talking maybe one time a game. And honestly, how is allowing the QB to get roughed up more going to add to the game?

Sorry, but I don't get what the big deal is. The game has changed, but not by a whole lot and the core things I like about football aren't related to seeing guys get hurt.

Bacchus
09-01-2012, 11:58 PM
What the NFL has done to the kickoff is reprehensible

Bronco Yoda
09-02-2012, 01:12 AM

Ok, where's the photo shop with PM on a pole with rev & his lobster. ROFL!

Durango
09-02-2012, 01:38 AM
One thing I'd like to see banned is the 'wham' tackle, where players go airborne and simply throw their entire bodies at a ball carrier or KR/PR. Tackling technique in football today sucks.

extralife
09-02-2012, 04:17 AM
This thread is dumb as a brick, but the rules surrounding what a DB can and can't do need to be altered. Don't kill the QB, fine; don't cream a defenseless WR, fine; don't look at or touch any wideout at all in anyway in any part of the field? No, kill yourself NFL. The game is one dimensional and borderline gimmicky right now.

Lycan
09-02-2012, 05:00 AM
The kickoff needs to go back to the way it was. Or at least just for games in Denver.

I'm getting sick of kickers booming KOs out of the back of the endzone every damn time.

cmhargrove
09-02-2012, 07:30 AM
The game changes, but is still the best sport in the world.

Keeping the players healthy is fine with me (because all three of my boys play). Nothing wrong with changes in the name of "safety" as long as they influence both teams equally. It is every coaches job to figure out how to work that system to create a winning team.

The kickoff rule does change the game (for the worse IMO), however, I would be very interested to look at injury data to see if we have seen a decline in injuries (or not). To the OP, you must remember that the NFL is primarily a business (not a sport), and they have obligations to their employees. They must either prove they are attempting to protect their employees or they will be held liable in a court of law. Dem's da berries.

srphoenix
09-02-2012, 07:44 AM
sophisticated passing games changed the game along with the more athletic players to run those attacks.

tsiguy96
09-02-2012, 07:49 AM
i think people that write stuff like this dont realize that back in the 50s and 60s teams used to pass the ball a TON. 70s 80s and 90s the run game took over.

errand
09-02-2012, 07:55 AM

I know....however it does sound like a funny commercial he would be in

Drek
09-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Alright, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Do we really want to go back to the way it was, but is it really worse?

Exactly sixty years ago, In 1952, the average points per game (of all teams averaged together) was 22.3 points. Last year it was 22.2 points. Is the game less violent? Yes. But does the violence necessarily make it a better product? How many times in a game do remember a guy getting lit up? Did it really make the game that much better? We're talking maybe one time a game. And honestly, how is allowing the QB to get roughed up more going to add to the game?

Sorry, but I don't get what the big deal is. The game has changed, but not by a whole lot and the core things I like about football aren't related to seeing guys get hurt.

Exactly. Before bitching about having "your game" changed why not look at the history of football in this country?

Once upon a time people made these same gripes about helmets and pads. Back when people dying playing college ball wasn't the rarest of things. Teddy Roosevelt of all people threatened to ban the sport. The changes that followed dramatically altered the game, turning it into the game we all grew up playing and watching.

The kickoff needs to go back to the way it was. Or at least just for games in Denver.

I'm getting sick of kickers booming KOs out of the back of the endzone every damn time.
Instead of putting it back how it was, clearly the most dangerous play of any game, why not keep the current positioning but set touchbacks to the 30 yard line?

Then we would see a return to kickoff accuracy, not just bombing the football down field as hard as possible, but we wouldn't have kick coverage getting nearly the running head start.

It would make the punting game more interesting too and probably bring back coffin corner punting, which would be awesome.

One thing I'd like to see banned is the 'wham' tackle, where players go airborne and simply throw their entire bodies at a ball carrier or KR/PR. Tackling technique in football today sucks.
That shouldn't even be too had to police. Just have a penalty for any tackle that involves leaving your feet while leading with your head or shoulders. Guys can still leave their feet, they just need to make the attempt at wrapping up.

AmericanBroncFan
09-02-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm not saying every player needs to try end other players career every time they hit them like J. Harrison (although its nice to have throwback player in todays game). Steve Atwater and Ronnie Lott wouldn't be allowed to play in todays sissy ball. They weren't dirty but they hit hard and todays sissy rules with sissy refs would've thrown a flag everytime.
The EXCUSE that players are BIGGER, FASTER, and STRONGER these days is right. So wtf does that matter when the guy getting hit is also bigger, stronger, and faster?

errand
09-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Not to mentio players are bigger, stronger and fast than they've ever been.

Sammy Baugh was an iron man in the NFL in the 30s.

In today's NFL, he'd get carted off with a career-ending injury before completing his first game.

You're nuts....Sammy Baugh was a very good athlete who did not have the benefit of the strength and conditioning training today's NFL offers either.

houghtam
09-02-2012, 08:12 AM
I'm not saying every player needs to try end other players career every time they hit them like J. Harrison (although its nice to have throwback player in todays game). Steve Atwater and Ronnie Lott wouldn't be allowed to play in todays sissy ball. They weren't dirty but they hit hard and todays sissy rules with sissy refs would've thrown a flag everytime.
The EXCUSE that players are BIGGER, FASTER, and STRONGER these days is right. So wtf does that matter when the guy getting hit is also bigger, stronger, and faster?

Depends on what you think what happens when two Honda Civics get in an accident at 25mph vs what happens when two SUVs get in an accident at 50mph.

First of all, from an NFL business standpoint, it is in their best interest to protect all the players, but especially those at skill positions, and most especially quarterbacks. Those players are the face of their brand, and when they're on the sideline, the brand isn't making as much money off them. If those players are getting injured, interest wanes, and casual fans bolt. Casual fans don't just watch football because it's football. They watch to see their favorite players. These are the reasons anyone with a rooting interest in the NFL flourishing as a brand should see as the point of the rules changes.

Secondly, you have players, you know, real people, getting life-altering injuries. Yes, they volunteered to play a game...because they were gifted with more physical talent than all of us combined. For you to sit in judgement of the people who own the league, the officials who write the rules, and the players who actually play the game, from the safety of fat-ass-in-computer-chair, is laughable at best.

Drek
09-02-2012, 08:33 AM

So not every player needs to try ending other player's careers, just enough of them to keep the game "tough" enough for you huh?

Its a game man. **** ain't that serious. The appearance of not being a sissy isn't worth guys getting permanently hurt and make no mistake, your complaint is entirely about the APPEARANCE of it. As Kaylore pointed out, points scored per team is still roughly on par with historic norms. The running game is every bit as important as it used to be and we've seen an influx of great RB talent putting up amazing numbers with more 2K rushers in the last 20 years than any similar window.

Football is a sport where strategy and coordinated athletic excellence win the day. The minute we think football is degraded by reductions in the violent hits and injuries we might as well just drop the pretenses and go watch some UFC.

AmericanBroncFan
09-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Depends on what you think what happens when two Honda Civics get in an accident at 25mph vs what happens when two SUVs get in an accident at 50mph.

First of all, from an NFL business standpoint, it is in their best interest to protect all the players, but especially those at skill positions, and most especially quarterbacks. Those players are the face of their brand, and when they're on the sideline, the brand isn't making as much money off them. If those players are getting injured, interest wanes, and casual fans bolt. Casual fans don't just watch football because it's football. They watch to see their favorite players. These are the reasons anyone with a rooting interest in the NFL flourishing as a brand should see as the point of the rules changes.

Secondly, you have players, you know, real people, getting life-altering injuries. Yes, they volunteered to play a game...because they were gifted with more physical talent than all of us combined. For you to sit in judgement of the people who own the league, the officials who write the rules, and the players who actually play the game, from the safety of fat-ass-in-computer-chair, is laughable at best.

These sissy players you say are bigger, stronger, and faster wouldn't last 2 minutes in a game played just 20yrs ago. Players 30 and 40 yrs ago would have todays sissys in tears before the game even started

gyldenlove
09-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Can we please just ignore the obvious and pathetic troll?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-02-2012, 09:27 AM
In other news, get off his lawn.

Kaylore
09-02-2012, 09:32 AM

Atwater's hit on Okoye is 100% legal today.

DarkHorse30
09-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Can we please just ignore the obvious and pathetic troll?

I second the motion

ColoradoDarin
09-02-2012, 10:33 AM
I still have my old NFL Crunch Course vhs... They need to make clotheslining legal again

Drunken.Broncoholic
09-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Nice to know your opinion trumps all the knowledge modern medical science has spent the last 20+ years accumulating.

Why not go tell an Iraq or Afghanistan vet that the PTSD they're experiencing as a result of brain trauma is just "girlie whining" while you're at it.

To compare his opinion about pink football to wars in Iraq is downright pathetic.

As far as the NFL trying its best to make the game safe? I keep seeing this word "safety" littered throughout this thread. The term "safety" goes right out the window by installing incompetent referees on the field.

AmericanBroncFan
09-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Atwater's hit on Okoye is 100% legal today.

You are 100% RIGHT but in today sissy game the refs would've thrown a flag on it and you know it.

AmericanBroncFan
09-02-2012, 10:51 AM
To compare his opinion about pink football to wars in Iraq is downright pathetic.

As far as the NFL trying its best to make the game safe? I keep seeing this word "safety" littered throughout this thread. The term "safety" goes right out the window by installing incompetent referees on the field.

Exactly

MagicHef
09-02-2012, 11:05 AM
You are 100% RIGHT but in today sissy game the refs would've thrown a flag on it and you know it.

No, they wouldn't have. Well, maybe these replacement officials would, but it wouldn't have been a penalty in any game last year.

loborugger
09-02-2012, 11:54 AM
http://www.mamapop.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/bachelor-grandpa-meme-generator-back-in-my-day-everything-was-uphill-both-ways-b9d681.jpg

Play2win
09-02-2012, 12:21 PM
They get paid millions... take all the safety rules out. Make it the game that was oh, so fun to watch again. It was the best. I used to call it combat pay. Make it a real Gladiator sport again. If they don't want to play, they don't get the pay.

It would be like stepping into the ring with Tyson, back in the day. Sure, you could make a million in one day, but could live to tell about?

cmhargrove
09-02-2012, 12:51 PM
These sissy players you say are bigger, stronger, and faster wouldn't last 2 minutes in a game played just 20yrs ago. Players 30 and 40 yrs ago would have todays sissys in tears before the game even started

This post is just dumb in so many ways... Wearing a bike helmet or a condom is probably only for "sissies" too?

Do you know any retired NFL players from a few decades ago? I have known a few like Steve Largent that left the game while intact. Most of the ex-players I have met would welcome the extra safety and large paychecks of today's game.

Gort
09-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Nike's 2013 uniforms, if Goodell has his way... :)

http://c-product.images.dreamsretail.com/67-25/67-25299-Y.jpg

AmericanBroncFan
09-02-2012, 02:58 PM
No, they wouldn't have. Well, maybe these replacement officials would, but it wouldn't have been a penalty in any game last year.

Legal hard hits are being called all the time and when they aren't the player still gets fined. EXAMPLE: R. Moore hit on the bills WR last preseason. His shoulder drove through the bill sissy with their helmets touching after the force of his shoulder pads. CLEAN HIT. the kid hasn't played with any fire since. The NFL sissy rules ruined a player before he even got started

Pick Six
09-02-2012, 03:11 PM

We're now going to be the beneficiaries of the Peyton rule...:strong:

Play2win
09-02-2012, 03:18 PM
I want more helmet-to-helmet hits, closelines, and You Got Jacked Up!!

oubronco
09-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Sounds like someone needs to learn how to "adapt and overcome"

Stuck in Cali
09-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Like another poster said. What they have done with kick offs is the worst change.

As far has hits go, it up to the player, they can still knock the **** out of another as long as they do it the right way. Football has taken on many different looks over the years.

MagicHef
09-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Legal hard hits are being called all the time and when they aren't the player still gets fined. EXAMPLE: R. Moore hit on the bills WR last preseason. His shoulder drove through the bill sissy with their helmets touching after the force of his shoulder pads. CLEAN HIT. the kid hasn't played with any fire since. The NFL sissy rules ruined a player before he even got started

They penalized that hit because they thought it was helmet to helmet. They weren't trying to penalize a shoulder to chest hit. If it's so prevalent, there should be examples more recent/meaningful example than a preseason game a year ago. Like, for instance, when Harrison put a vicious hit on Decker when he was defenseless in the playoff game. Decker was even injured. Only, no penalty was called because it was a legal hit.

extralife
09-02-2012, 04:53 PM
you know this guy is right because he has AMERICAN in his name

DomCasual
09-02-2012, 05:21 PM

In fairness, the advertising revenue you could generate selling space ads on his forehead would be incredible.

"Next time, the dollar you just spent could buy you a large order of fries at McDonald's!"

Stuff like that.

2KBack
09-02-2012, 06:33 PM
I am all for player safety, but I wish the penalties would be consistent. Consider the shot Manning took in the SF game on the pass to Ball. Good hard hit, not penalty. Then the hit that Ayers has in the AZ game that caused an INT. Pretty common hit, no where near the decleater that the Manning hit was.....Roughing the passer

broncosteven
09-02-2012, 08:09 PM

I haven't heard the word sissy in over 35 years. People still say sissy?

broncosteven
09-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Like another poster said. What they have done with kick offs is the worst change.

As far has hits go, it up to the player, they can still knock the **** out of another as long as they do it the right way. Football has taken on many different looks over the years.

I totally love the new kickoff rules. Always hated seeing Vanover and Dainty Hall or even Hester in Chicago taking the kick for an easy score.

I much prefer having to see teams drive 80 yards than watch one guy take a kick to the house.

Maybe I would like them more if we had dudes who could bust one but we haven't had anyone who could do it consistently since Rick Upchurch. Darien Gordon was a great return guy but I remember him more on punts.

Mogulseeker
09-02-2012, 08:35 PM

Gotta side with Kaylore on this one. I disagree.

boltaneer
09-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Football DOMINATES all American sports in terms of hype, ratings, revenue... you name it.

I think it's pretty safe to say that the NFL knows what they're doing. If it pisses off a few old timers who can't accept change, then so be it.

Drek
09-03-2012, 05:49 AM

Really dumb ass?

The Army sure doesn't consider the comparison pathetic. In fact, they specifically sited the similarity in injuries when they announced a new program where they're TEAMING WITH THE NFL for a concussion awareness and treatment program.

LINK (http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/08/ap-nfl-teams-with-army-concussion-program-083012/)

And FYI, the jack ass OP is the one who claimed concussions were a scapegoat for what he feels is making the NFL a "sissy" sport. Things like the medical research discussed in this article:

LINK (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=soldier-blast-chronic-traumatic-encephalopathy-cte)

Where they compared brain tissue from soldiers and former football players and found identical kinds of damage leading to mental break down are apparently just a bunch of propaganda for people who think like him.

You can't attack the science of concussion related trauma without directly attacking the troops who now suffer from it. Its bull**** that stems from people who are either unwilling or unable to keep themselves informed of the research done by modern medicine.

That same bull**** is also why a TON of people with PTSD, CTE, etc. go untreated. They don't want to look like "sissies" as the OP suggests. You stop the ignorance that leads to the stigma and you kill the stigma.

AmericanBroncFan
09-03-2012, 05:57 AM
The Arena League went out of business. The NFL will to if they keep pussifying the game.

houghtam
09-03-2012, 08:12 AM
The Arena League went out of business. The NFL will to if they keep pussifying the game.

No it won't.

Just look at this thread, and how many people disagree with you. The casual fans aren't going anywhere. The only people the NFL will lose is people like you, who scream like a caveman every time there's a hard hit, and frankly, I could do without your type.

The NFL has a much higher chance of going out of business if the DON'T do something about safety than by losing people like you if they do.

You're just flat out wrong on this one, chum.

AmericanBroncFan
09-03-2012, 08:33 AM
No it won't.

Just look at this thread, and how many people disagree with you. The casual fans aren't going anywhere. The only people the NFL will lose is people like you, who scream like a caveman every time there's a hard hit, and frankly, I could do without your type.

The NFL has a much higher chance of going out of business if the DON'T do something about safety than by losing people like you if they do.

You're right. NERD FOOTBALL (fantasy football) is a main reason for these sissy rules. Hair dressers can't handle their starting QB being hurt. NERD FOOTBALL has gained fans to the new sissy league

Beantown Bronco
09-03-2012, 08:43 AM

Let's see. The most popular and profitable sports league in the entire world is going to go out of business? Please. The NFL's revenue has been growing at a rate of about 10% each year, including the last few years when they've been implementing all these new rules.

All evidence says you're wrong.

The Arena League went out of business for a bunch of reasons, none of which had anything to do with player safety rules.

Bacchus
09-03-2012, 11:56 AM
No it won't.

The NFL is facing thousands of lawsuits from players that have concussions. To tell you the truth I bet if we look at the financial situation of the players in question might lead us to realize the real reason for the lawsuit.

That being said the NFL is playing defense, they are showing the courts that they are working on the problem to try to reduce their culpability in the lawsuits and minimize the damages they are ultimatley going to have to pay.

broncocalijohn
09-03-2012, 12:01 PM
What the NFL has done to the kickoff is reprehensible

Bingo! It has taken out a huge part of the ST play. Some of those guys get paid based on kickoffs. Why would a guy want to be a KO specialist if he knows it is going to be a touchback? Make the kicker earn his $ by showing he can boot it in the endzone. Hell, make an exemption for Denver to be at least 5 yards ahead but this rule is lame. If you are down 2 points in the 4th with 30 seconds to play, good luck hoping for a good kick off return to give your team a chance to get a field goal.

AmericanBroncFan
09-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Well when all this sissy safety crap takes effect the Broncos will be fine. We already have the proper PPE in our high vis orange jerseys and a defense that has rarely hit anybody in the last 10 years.

houghtam
09-03-2012, 12:12 PM
I cry myself to sleep at night because my mom would never let me play football.

Fixed your post and added a picture.

AmericanBroncFan
09-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Fixed your post and added a picture.

Hilarious!:strong:

houghtam
09-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Bingo! It has taken out a huge part of the ST play. Some of those guys get paid based on kickoffs. Why would a guy want to be a KO specialist if he knows it is going to be a touchback? Make the kicker earn his $ by showing he can boot it in the endzone. Hell, make an exemption for Denver to be at least 5 yards ahead but this rule is lame. If you are down 2 points in the 4th with 30 seconds to play, good luck hoping for a good kick off return to give your team a chance to get a field goal.

I would also argue that it does nothing to improve player safety. I've been searching for evidence that more injuries happen on kickoffs than any other plays, and I've never been able to find any, other than the stuff that is oft-repeated by talking heads and what not.

I mean, it makes sense. You would think there would be more injuries, or at least more severe injuries when people are running full speed, but I don't like to take things at face value, and it didn't pass the smell test to me. That is, I don't recall there being significantly more injuries on kickoffs than anywhere else when I've watched games. It could simply be that kickoffs tend to happen near commercial breaks and often have a lot of 2nd or 3rd stringers, so we just never hear about them. That's why I'd like to see some evidence.

If it turns out that there are more, then fine. They probably needed to do something about the kickoffs after all. Or is this just some perceived danger?

Stuck in Cali
09-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Bingo! It has taken out a huge part of the ST play. Some of those guys get paid based on kickoffs. Why would a guy want to be a KO specialist if he knows it is going to be a touchback? Make the kicker earn his $ by showing he can boot it in the endzone. Hell
, make an exemption for Denver to be at least 5 yards ahead but this rule is lame. If you are down 2 points in the 4th with 30 seconds to play, good luck hoping for a good kick off return to give your team a chance to get a field goal.

Hell with the way the rules are now, they should just eliminate it completely from the game and have the offence start at the 20. I really hope they can see that they have eliminated a very exciting part of the game with the current rules.

ant1999e
09-03-2012, 12:57 PM
The game is heading in a direction I don't like. It is becoming the Arena League on grass/turf. The rule changes over the years based on "safety" has greatly helped the passing game where even scrubs like kyle orton can throw for 300yrds a game. 300 yard games were once only for special QB's or ones trailing by 20 at halftime. Before the QB became a stripper on a pole (untouchable) they wouldn't make it through a 16 game season throwing it like they do now. Defenses aren't playing to win anymore because of the rules, they are playing with hope the offense doesn't execute a play or two. Defenses always changed their style from 4-3 to 3-4 or even the 46 but now they aren't allowed to play with the same passion they used to. These so called "safety" changes are not just a spell the NFL is going through, it's ruining the game I grew to love. Our own DB's don't even play the ball anymore because of fear of pass interference. It's not as exciting when you know the rules allow both teams to score at will. Thats Arena football. GO BRONCOS!

How dare you have an opinion you stupid bastard. Who gave you permission to disagree with others here? :wiggle:

The kick offs are a huge waste of time.

swaiy
09-03-2012, 01:09 PM
The NFL is facing thousands of lawsuits from players that have concussions. To tell you the truth I bet if we look at the financial situation of the players in question might lead us to realize the real reason for the lawsuit.

That being said the NFL is playing defense, they are showing the courts that they are working on the problem to try to reduce their culpability in the lawsuits and minimize the damages they are ultimatley going to have to pay.

Could you afford to pay thousands of dollars monthly/yearly associated with the brain trauma these guys have gotten? Of course they want money.

Inkana7
09-03-2012, 01:31 PM

For your consideration: http://www.blogandtackle.net/2011/12/14/comparison-of-2011-and-2010-kickoffs-returns-after-nfl-week-14/

Drek
09-03-2012, 02:18 PM
You're right. NERD FOOTBALL (fantasy football) is a main reason for these sissy rules. Hair dressers can't handle their starting QB being hurt. NERD FOOTBALL has gained fans to the new sissy league

The looming threat of gross negligence law suits is what has led to the change in football. The NFL is rather risk adverse when it comes to law suits they simply can't win in a court of law.

Right now they can play the "we didn't know better" card on all the guys from the 70's and 80's. But when guys from the 90's get older and start having further degradation of their brain tissue due to CTE and the like they're going to start taking seven figure bites out of the NFL one at a time.

This is just the NFL plugging the leak and building a preliminary defense against such law suits.

Also, before you assume they're protecting QBs due to fantasy football why not look at who has:
1. The real power
2. The greatest vested interest in protecting QBs

Answer to both is NFL owners. QBs are demanding massive chunks of guaranteed money. The Colts paid Manning the highest salary in the NFL last year and he didn't take a snap. 32 guys ultimately get to decide and they don't want their $100M investment getting a career ending injury because some LB played through the whistle and put a helmet on a knee.

p.s. those same owners are also the guys who will end up directly losing revenue from any brain injury related law suits.

broncosteven
09-03-2012, 02:43 PM

Why do I have this feeling that your shoe size is higher than your IQ?

AmericanBroncFan
09-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Why do I have this feeling that your shoe size is higher than your IQ?

Are you saying NERD football is not making the NFL bank?

TheElusiveKyleOrton
09-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Are you saying NERD football is not making the NFL bank?

Not what he's saying at all. But I think you may have just proved his point.