PDA

View Full Version : Von Millerís ceiling is being the very best defensive player in the NFL and a Hall of Famer.

Bronco Rob
09-01-2012, 10:36 AM
What is Millerís ceiling? How good can he become? I asked Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. whether he thinks Miller can become the gameís next well-rounded star at linebacker. His response was eye-popping. Williamson has been in NFL buildings. He knows scouting. He does not major in hyperbole. Iíve always found his analysis of players to be level-headed and without nonsense.

So when Williamson said ďMillerís ceiling is being the very best defensive player in the NFL and a Hall of Famer,Ē I didnít take it lightly.

The Broncosí coaches love that Miller feels the urgent need to become a complete player. They know they have a star on their hands. They love that Miller doesnít act like one.

ďVon Miller is a young player with a lot of talent that is only scratching the surface right now,Ē new Broncos defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio said. ďHe could be phenomenal; he just needs to continue to work.Ē

Added Fox: ďThe sky really is the limit. He can be as good as he wants to be, and Von wants to be really good.Ē

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/47526/what-is-von-millers-ceiling

Glad that Von isn't content on being a "one trick pony" ala derrick thomas. Instead he's working hard to become a complete player one worthy of comparison to Lawrence Taylor.

:thumbs:

BowlenBall
09-01-2012, 10:42 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/24669172.jpg

Mike Croel, Denver LB, 1991: 84 tackles, 10 sacks
Von Miller, Denver LB, 2011: 51 tackles, 11.5 sacks

Great rookie season, but your career is just beginning, Mr. Miller -- still a lot for you to learn....

nyuk nyuk
09-01-2012, 10:45 AM
It goes without saying that barring injury, I think he's headed for the HOF.

Nice pic I got of him during the game against the 69ers --

Attitude!

http://i45.tinypic.com/1zf7cdv.jpg

broncocalijohn
09-01-2012, 12:56 PM
It goes without saying that barring injury, I think he's headed for the HOF.

Nice pic I got of him during the game against the 69ers --

Attitude!

http://i45.tinypic.com/1zf7cdv.jpg

Read post #2. Holy crapola ! SOme of you are freaks. Have any of you heard one hit wonders? Or how about players that spring right from the beginning and then have average to good careers and never will ever be thought of as a HOF? I love Von but I don't belittle the actual HOFers or guys that have played 5 years in the NFL. Patience grasshopper.

cmhargrove
09-01-2012, 01:02 PM
I love Von, but for me, I already expect him to play great week in and week out. It's kind of like Champ - you just expect it.

I really want to see the d-line explode this year, that's our key to going deeper than one game in the playoffs.

gyldenlove
09-01-2012, 01:07 PM
I expect Von to challenge the season record for most sacks at some point in his career, his arsenal of moves combined with his athletic ability will overwhelm a lot of players. A coaching staff dedicated to putting him in good situations and his own desire to be the best will put him over the top.

I love that he spend time this offseason with a number of top pass rushers working on moves and getting tips for how to attack different people and situations.

DBroncos4life
09-01-2012, 01:52 PM
I expect 30 sacks from VonDoom this year.

peacepipe
09-01-2012, 01:59 PM
unless we're blitzing alot or are playing with a big lead 10-15 is what I expect from miller

lonestar
09-01-2012, 02:00 PM
It is about time that OCs start doubling up on the blockers for him hemwillmstill get sacks but doubt he will,lead the league until we get a couple more top flight Dl players that are not one year rentals.

I like what I see from him lets hope he does not go the Ashely, poorti$$$$ route and get A big head and demand a new contract ..

broncocalijohn
09-01-2012, 02:08 PM
It is about time that OCs start doubling up on the blockers for him hemwillmstill get sacks but doubt he will,lead the league until we get a couple more top flight Dl players that are not one year rentals.

I like what I see from him lets hope he does not go the Ashely, poorti$$$$ route and get A big head and demand a new contract ..

Lelie should have fired his agent after that stupid move but Ashley thought he was better than he really was and the Broncos knew it. If he stuck around, he would have been known as a Bronco for life, commercials, possible staff job with the team, etc. Now, he was a journey man and no one would claim him except Hawaii, his school. Reality check. You think you are a #1 and then you leave and you are no better than a #3.

lonestar
09-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Lelie should have fired his agent after that stupid move but Ashley thought he was better than he really was and the Broncos knew it. If he stuck around, he would have been known as a Bronco for life, commercials, possible staff job with the team, etc. Now, he was a journey man and no one would claim him except Hawaii, his school. Reality check. You think you are a #1 and then you leave and you are no better than a #3.

Made some great catches almost all if them out of bounds or in the end zone where he could not be tackled.
I think he was afraid of getting hit. Being from the old WAC he was a man amount boys no cb could cover him and he was fast enough no one caught him..

But then everyone in the NFL was as good as he was
Ask him to go over the middle he had alligator arms. What a waste of a DAFT choice.

lonestar
09-01-2012, 02:30 PM

Made some great catches almost all if them out of bounds or in the end zone where he could not be tackled.
I think he was afraid of getting hit. Being from the old WAC he was a man amount boys no cb could cover him and he was fast enough no one caught him..

Ask him to go over the middle he had alligator arms. What a waste of a DAFT choice.

Play2win
09-01-2012, 02:45 PM
I expect 30 sacks from VonDoom this year.

I expect a lot more turnovers and interceptions because of VonDoom.

Peyton Manning with a short field :strong:

WolfpackGuy
09-01-2012, 03:52 PM

I never understood Lelie's butt-hurtedness over bringing Walker in.

What a baby.

broncocalijohn
09-01-2012, 04:10 PM
I never understood Lelie's butt-hurtedness over bringing Walker in.

What a baby.

Love to have someone interview him now on if he had any regrets. He was a #2 guy when Walker came in but decided to leave for being, as you say, butthurt and then quickly found out in Atlanta and SF that he was only worth a #3 or #4 at those places. I don't think he was even as closely as bad as Lonestar wants to make him but he had it good here. I really think it would have been nice to have Walker and Lelie playing a few years together.

Bronco Rob
09-01-2012, 04:30 PM
Mike Croel, Denver LB, 1991: 84 tackles, 10 sacks
Von Miller, Denver LB, 2011: 51 tackles, 11.5 sacks

Great rookie season, but your career is just beginning, Mr. Miller -- still a lot for you to learn....

What is Millerís ceiling? How good can he become? I asked Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. whether he thinks Miller can become the gameís next well-rounded star at linebacker. His response was eye-popping. Williamson has been in NFL buildings. He knows scouting. He does not major in hyperbole. Iíve always found his analysis of players to be level-headed and without nonsense.

;)

broncocalijohn
09-01-2012, 06:17 PM

;)

OMG Rob! Did you call Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc.? Seems you did with your post. Why don't you put the link again so we all know this is from the blog and not your opinion.
ORRRRRRR, why don't you actually put your opinion in the post instead of doing the cut n paste variety. You actually came back to this thread to answer a poster's question from not yourself but a blurb from the linked article. OMG! Seriously, try doing something different. It might help. At least link the article again as it isn't an original thought by you. Then again, is there ever when starting a thread (and now just posting in it). What a bot.

Jay3
09-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Von Miller's ceiling is becoming a being of pure energy, a blue and orange giant bestriding the field and vaporizing quarterbacks with atomic energy blasts from his fingertips.

BowlenBall
09-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Von Miller's ceiling is becoming a being of pure energy, a blue and orange giant bestriding the field and vaporizing quarterbacks with atomic energy blasts from his fingertips.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg211/scaled.php?server=211&filename=drdenver.jpg&res=landing

"I am become death, the destroyer of quarterbacks."

Bronco Rob
09-02-2012, 04:15 AM
OMG Rob! Did you call Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc.? Seems you did with your post. Why don't you put the link again so we all know this is from the blog and not your opinion.
ORRRRRRR, why don't you actually put your opinion in the post instead of doing the cut n paste variety. You actually came back to this thread to answer a poster's question from not yourself but a blurb from the linked article. OMG! Seriously, try doing something different. It might help. At least link the article again as it isn't an original thought by you. Then again, is there ever when starting a thread (and now just posting in it). What a bot.

I humbly apologize for your inability to differentiate.

http://i.imgur.com/9xcZt.gif

DENVERDUI55
09-02-2012, 07:22 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/47526/what-is-von-millers-ceiling

Glad that Von isn't content on being a "one trick pony" ala derrick thomas. Instead he's working hard to become a complete player one worthy of comparison to Lawrence Taylor.

I'll gladly take a Derrick Thomas type career.

RhymesayersDU
09-02-2012, 07:24 AM
Without the untimely death.

Dr. Broncenstein
09-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Or the litter of illegitimate crotchfruit.

Bronco Rob
09-11-2012, 05:56 PM

I'll gladly take a Derrick Thomas type career.

RUSH DEFENSE: A-minus ó Von Miller's leap forward in this area could transform the unit; he carried over a strong preseason by continuing to shake off blockers and push ball carriers wide, setting defensive backs up for tackles. The improvement from January was palpable; after allowing Isaac Redman to run for 121 yards in the wild-card duel eight months ago, Denver held Steelers running backs to 68 yards on 22 carries Sunday.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/broncos/notes.htm

Von will be a asset rather than a liability in the run game as the aforementioned player was for his entire career.

mr007
09-11-2012, 06:19 PM

Von will be a asset rather than a liability in the run game as the aforementioned player was for his entire career.

Why do you think Derrick Thomas was a run liability? I grew up watching that era of games and always recognized his skill as a pass-rusher, but never noticed him as being a liability in the running game.. I'd never heard that before.

FearLanier
09-11-2012, 06:34 PM
RUSH DEFENSE: A-minus ó Von Miller's leap forward in this area could transform the unit; he carried over a strong preseason by continuing to shake off blockers and push ball carriers wide, setting defensive backs up for tackles. The improvement from January was palpable; after allowing Isaac Redman to run for 121 yards in the wild-card duel eight months ago, Denver held Steelers running backs to 68 yards on 22 carries Sunday.

DT was not a liability against the run, Rob. He certainly wasn't the best at it, but he wasn't awful either.
He wasn't good in coverage, but Marty never needed him to be. James Hasty, Jerome Woods, Dale Carter and Reggie Tongue were so reliable that Marty could just rush DT every play. With DT and Neil Smith we never had to worry about pass defense. They got to the QB before he could make up his mind.

Bronco Rob
11-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Von Miller - 6 Tackles - 3 Sacks - 3 Tackles For A Loss!

Helmet Hat Trick!

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa444/Paxil_Rose/von22.gif

KipCorrington25
11-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Is that 10 sacks for the season at the halfway point?

DBroncos4life
11-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Is that 10 sacks for the season at the halfway point?

9, Watt has 10.5

McDman
11-04-2012, 08:02 PM
It's crazy how much publicity Watt gets and how little Von does.

KipCorrington25
11-04-2012, 08:06 PM

It's because of that whole reminding people of Ed McCaffrey thing that Watt has going on.

RedskinBronco
11-04-2012, 08:09 PM

Ok I am not trying to be that guy...BUT in today's society this is debated all day long, just look at ESPN First Take.

Reason is Watt is white and you don't see many white athletes dominate at any other position than QB. Conversely the the same type of thing happens at the QB position where black QBs are labeled as runners first. Just witness all the Cam Newton, etc. talk that got Warren Moon extremely pissed off.

Watt being white and leading the league in sacks is what gets all the publicity. Let's face it, it's not like Houston is an attention grabbing market...

McDman
11-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Ok I am not trying to be that guy...BUT in today's society this is debated all day long, just look at ESPN First Take.

Reason is Watt is white and you don't see many white athletes dominate at any other position than QB. Conversely the the same type of thing happens at the QB position where black QBs are labeled as runners first. Just witness all the Cam Newton, etc. talk that got Warren Moon extremely pissed off.

Watt being white and leading the league in sacks is what gets all the publicity. Let's face it, it's not like Houston is an attention grabbing market...

Jared Allen was like .5 away from tying the records last year and no one talked about him.

Lycan
11-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Jared Allen was like .5 away from tying the records last year and no one talked about him.

The media is prejudiced against sweet mullets.

RedskinBronco
11-04-2012, 08:21 PM
The media is prejudiced against sweet mullets.

LOL

I was about to say, Jared Allen looks like white trash. JJ Watt looks more all american white boy.

That's my theory and I am sticking to it ;)

baja
11-04-2012, 08:26 PM

That's a good thing. He'll get his when he is named SB MVP

bronco militia
11-04-2012, 09:05 PM
watt has made other big plays (not including the sacks)....he deserves the publicity.

Kaylore
11-04-2012, 09:10 PM
I think Watt leads in tackles for loss now too. Dude is probably getting defensive MVP - unless Miller keeps having these kinds of games.

BTW, what happened to Justin Houston? He seemed like he was emerging as an elite player and now he hasn't had a sack in three games.

Harvitz81
11-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Watt also has 4 pass tips at the line that resulted in INTs. He is getting publicity, but well deserved.

Von gets plenty and you can be sure the only attention that counts, i.e. the opposing team having to scheme against him is what matters.

Absolutely love when he rag dolls a 325 lb offensive lineman like he did today. Dude much have a serious bench press.

ShutDownPoster
11-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Watt also has 4 pass tips at the line that resulted in INTs. He is getting publicity, but well deserved.

Von gets plenty and you can be sure the only attention that counts, i.e. the opposing team having to scheme against him is what matters.

Absolutely love when he rag dolls a 325 lb offensive lineman like he did today. Dude much have a serious bench press.

After Januaryís Senior Bowl, Miller bulked up 9 pounds of muscle for the NFL Combine At 6í3 and 246 lbs., Miller ran a 4.53 40 yard dash time, did 21 reps of the 225 lb. bench press, had a 37Ē vertical jump and a broad jump of 10 Ĺ feet. His 11.15 second 60-yard shuttle broke the Combine linebacker record. Experts compare Miller to a young DeMarcus Ware due to his raw strength and skill.

Popps
11-04-2012, 09:36 PM
It's early days but for a number of reasons, Miller is on the way to being one of my favorite Broncos... ever. He's a one man gang when he's on... and quickly becoming a complete player. Absolute pass-rush terror, and the best part... finds a way to physically dominate guys who are nearly 100 lbs heavier than him on a regular basis. Beyond that, seems to be a decent guy with a decent head on his shoulder.

Once again, it's early days... but he's got what it takes to be one of the best to ever wear our colors.

crush17
11-04-2012, 09:50 PM
How anyone can watch Von Miller play and not see greatness in the making is beyond me.

He is an absolute stud.

FearLanier
11-04-2012, 11:38 PM
JJ Watts stats so far: 37 tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 10.5 sacks, 10 passes defended and 21 QB hits. Wow

Incredible that this kid was delivering pizza's not long ago and now he's the best defensive player in the NFL this year.

LongDongJohnson
11-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Hard to get publicity when all everyone talks about is tebow and manning.

Schaub is a good QB but no one really cares about him.

Doggcow
11-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Hard to get publicity when all everyone talks about is tebow and manning.

Schaub is a good QB but no one really cares about him.

Where the **** did this comment come from?

lonestar
11-05-2012, 12:28 AM
Where the **** did this comment come from?

Jealousy.

MojoBen
11-05-2012, 06:43 AM
We can only hope Von has the career Derrick Thomas had. Also Thomas was not the liability against the run some try to make him out to be. He was pretty stout against the run but his pass rushing ability overshadowed that aspect of his game.

Shananahan
11-05-2012, 07:08 AM

http://www.trollmystic.com/music/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/f97d033e87ca.gif http://www.trollmystic.com/music/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/f97d033e87ca.gif http://www.trollmystic.com/music/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/f97d033e87ca.gif http://www.trollmystic.com/music/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/f97d033e87ca.gif

Kaylore
11-05-2012, 07:11 AM
JJ Watt reminds me of Ed McCaffrey.

fontaine
11-05-2012, 07:15 AM
BTW, what happened to Justin Houston? He seemed like he was emerging as an elite player and now he hasn't had a sack in three games.

He got "Crennelled"

mkporter
11-05-2012, 11:16 AM
It's because of that whole reminding people of Ed McCaffrey thing that Watt has going on.

Watt sells mustard too?

Bronco Rob
11-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Watt sells mustard too?

Watts is having a monster season but Miller is more multifaceted.

lonestar
11-05-2012, 11:32 PM
Watts is having a monster season but Miller is more multifaceted.

they play different positions.. huge difference in DE and OLB..

and miller is still learning how to play it in the real world..

enjolras
11-06-2012, 09:32 AM
I would like to see Miller in more tackles... It's stunning to me that a defensive end (Watt) has more tackles than Miller who plays on the strong side.

Bronco Rob
11-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Broncos midseason awards

Defensive MVP -- LB/DE Von Miller: The second-year phenom is not only on pace for a Broncos-record 18 sacks after bringing down Cincinnati's Andy Dalton three times Sunday, but he's blossomed as a run defender, learning how to work past blockers to steer opposing running backs to the outside, where Denver's aggressive cornerbacks and safeties await to close down all available angles.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20844884/broncos-midseason-awards-everything-flows-from-peyton-manning

broncosteven
11-06-2012, 10:22 PM

Lelie ran a lot of post, go's or Flag routes but Plummer couldn't hit him in stride. We still had 2 good TE's to run drags with, a HOF like Sharpe and Carswell. Lelie spread out a lot of good D's and gave our Zone scheme to pickup chunks of yardage on the ground.

Lelie's only mistake was thinking he was really a #1 WR and deserved the money. If Jake could have got the Ball to him in stride he would have had even more stats, as it was Lelie was forced to wait for balls which were underthrown to come down. When Lelie was with us he performed well. We was fine until he started listening to his "friends" who said that he should be paid as a #1 WR.

Lone Star makes it sound like Lelie was a total bust, when, in fact, Lelie was a great 2nd or 3rd WR with us, he had years of 500+, 600+, 1,000+, 700+ with 13 tds, and YPR of 20 in 2004

Lelie was far from a bust, he got better every year up until his last with us and he was hurt in 2005, he missed 3 games. 2004 was a monster year for a 2nd WR. He was far from a bust. Once he left Shanahan's scheme he disappeared and his stats fell off the map bouncing around to 3 teams trying to recapture what worked for him in Denver.

Glad we have DT, Decker, Stokely, Willis in our stable now. Back then it was Rod, Eddie (who was losing effectiveness after breaking his leg), and then Leslie. Shanny had to draft Leslie for need and it actually did work out during his tenure. He was no Ed Reed but could have been even better with a QB like Cutler throwing to him Deep or even with Marshall on the other side helping him out... We really needed Lelie in 2006 vs San Fran. I was there and our WR's were crap and could not get seperation or deep.

lonestar
11-07-2012, 12:56 AM
Lelie ran a lot of post, go's or Flag routes but Plummer couldn't hit him in stride. We still had 2 good TE's to run drags with, a HOF like Sharpe and Carswell. Lelie spread out a lot of good D's and gave our Zone scheme to pickup chunks of yardage on the ground.

Lelie's only mistake was thinking he was really a #1 WR and deserved the money. If Jake could have got the Ball to him in stride he would have had even more stats, as it was Lelie was forced to wait for balls which were underthrown to come down. When Lelie was with us he performed well. We was fine until he started listening to his "friends" who said that he should be paid as a #1 WR.

Lone Star makes it sound like Lelie was a total bust, when, in fact, Lelie was a great 2nd or 3rd WR with us, he had years of 500+, 600+, 1,000+, 700+ with 13 tds, and YPR of 20 in 2004

Lelie was far from a bust, he got better every year up until his last with us and he was hurt in 2005, he missed 3 games. 2004 was a monster year for a 2nd WR. He was far from a bust. Once he left Shanahan's scheme he disappeared and his stats fell off the map bouncing around to 3 teams trying to recapture what worked for him in Denver.

Glad we have DT, Decker, Stokely, Willis in our stable now. Back then it was Rod, Eddie (who was losing effectiveness after breaking his leg), and then Leslie. Shanny had to draft Leslie for need and it actually did work out during his tenure. He was no Ed Reed but could have been even better with a QB like Cutler throwing to him Deep or even with Marshall on the other side helping him out... We really needed Lelie in 2006 vs San Fran. I was there and our WR's were crap and could not get seperation or deep.

Exactly how many of his catches over the middle do you remember.?

I stand by my post for a number one pick at 19 with the following WRs taken after him

20 Green Bay Packers Javon Walker WR Florida State
33 Houston Texans Jabar Gaffney WR Florida

both of which were better long term players..

IMO he was a bust..

Bacchus
11-07-2012, 10:28 AM

Lelie was really good at what he did. He ran a great go route he was able to out jump the defender and make a lot of plays. The other routes not so much but he was not a bust. A bust is someone that does not contribute and gets cut. Lelie was nto a bust. He just wasn't a complete player and your right Plummer wasn't the best QB for him either.

Headsup Lonestar does not know much of what he talks about.

lonestar
11-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Lelie was really good at what he did. He ran a great go route he was able to out jump the defender and make a lot of plays. The other routes not so much but he was not a bust. A bust is someone that does not contribute and gets cut. Lelie was nto a bust. He just wasn't a complete player and your right Plummer wasn't the best QB for him either.

Headsup IMO Lonestar does not know much of what he talks about.

Fixed that for you but then the Same could be said about many folks (you) here.. IMHO

A bust is someone that you draft in the first round (maybe even 2nd) that does not resign with your team..

When you make an investment in time effort and most of all big money for these guys you have to expect that they are the foundation of your team..

other wise why even take first rounders.

trade back and get an equivalent guy in the second for a hell of a lot less money..

unless your picking 28 or later each year for a decade you should be able to get good quality long term guys consistently in the first..

not that mikey ever did that but that is the pox he has to carry as does the broncos..

ashley was not a good choice and yes he made catches but knowing that your QB does not have a big arm why do you draft a long ball hitter,, it was doomed to fail..

THUS a bust.. to have 15 TD over a 7 year career unlike the guy taken directly afterwards that had 31 means some one screwed the pooch on DAFT day in our WAR room..

lest I remind everyone that mikeys 41 rounds 1-3 picks during his time in DEN he only resigned 6 and 5 of those were all picks 1999 or prior..

Now we might have one more that resigns, that would be Clady but the remains to be seen if we do..

BUT right now his batting percentage on those picks is .146..

Inkana7
11-07-2012, 03:15 PM
I think we may start to see a '"Champ effect" with Von, in that he's so good that it's not even wort trying to run a sweep or screen or anything like that to his side of the field. His speed, quickness and especially use of hands to just blow by blockers is borderline unreal, and he's only scratched the surface. Von is amazing.

gyldenlove
11-07-2012, 03:33 PM
I think we may start to see a '"Champ effect" with Von, in that he's so good that it's not even wort trying to run a sweep or screen or anything like that to his side of the field. His speed, quickness and especially use of hands to just blow by blockers is borderline unreal, and he's only scratched the surface. Von is amazing.

We are already seeing on a weekly basis teams game planning and scheming specifically around Miller, changing up blocking and plays depending on where he is and he is continuously making it harder on teams be improving every aspect of his game - you can't run on him because of how strong he is in getting to the runner, you can throw a screen but his speed and hustle makes that a dangerous proposition as well.

Bronco Rob
11-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Miller takes big jump in second season in Denver

By ARNIE STAPLETON AP Pro Football Writer Nov. 8, 2012 5:49 PM ET

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) - Von Miller was such an athletic freak coming out of Texas A&M that his mentor, former Aggies coach Mike Sherman, joked he probably could have crumpled quarterbacks with one hand tied behind his back.

That's sort of what the Denver Broncos strongside linebacker had to do after tearing ligaments in his right thumb last November. He played the stretch run and the playoffs with a cast that prevented him from grabbing and shedding offensive linemen.

Although he faded toward the finish and was even benched in some situations, the second overall pick in last year's draft went on to win NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year honors in a landslide and made the Pro Bowl, a validation of John Elway's first big move as the Broncos' boss.

It's only gotten better in Year 2.

"I have no doubt that I'll be a totally different player next year," Miller declared after running post-practice sprints one day in January. "It will be night and day between this year and next year."

Even though he has nine sacks, including a career-best three against Cincinnati last week, Miller isn't just Elvis Dumervil's pass-rushing partner anymore.

He's rounded out his game, dropping into coverage more and playing the run better while still getting after the quarterback - he's tied with Houston's J.J. Watt for the NFL lead with 17 tackles for loss, which is two shy of his entire total from his rookie year, and he trails only Watt's 10 1/2 sacks for the league lead.

"I think he's becoming more of a complete player," coach John Fox said. "Some guys don't work on their weaknesses, they just kind of roll around on their strengths. And I think in his case, he's worked on some of the things he didn't do as much in college and that is mostly coverage and how he fits into the cover scheme.

"He's obviously got a lot of great abilities to rush the passer. I think that was evident a year ago, and I think it's evident again this season. He's a really terrific young guy that's not afraid to work hard."

Miller said his thumb injury that required surgery last year was actually a blessing because it forced him to focus on technique and not rely so heavily on his athleticism.

"You really take for granted your hands. You don't know what you've got until it's gone," Miller said. "Playing with one thumb and one and a-half hands, it helped me be more technically sound. Before, I was just moving around, just using all athletic ability."

Linebackers coach Richard Smith said he sees a more cerebral approach in Miller this season, and he bristles at the reminder that he had to pull Miller off the field at times last year, when rookies lacked the enormous benefits of an offseason because of the lockout.

"Last year he was an every-down guy, OK? He had a few times where I had to take him out of the game because of some sort of issues," Smith said. "Right now, what I see, he's bigger, stronger and faster than he was a year ago. Even though he would say he did yoga this summer, first of all, he's got freak athletic ability. So, that's not coaching; that's genetics. That guy's a beast, OK? That stuff is all natural.

"What I like about him is his focus, his attention in the meetings, on details he's getting much better. He's a much better first- and second-down player that he was a year ago."

Miller and Dumervil, who have combined for 15 sacks, making them the most prolific tandem in the league halfway through the season, are a younger version of Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis, who complemented quarterback Peyton Manning so well in Indianapolis.

"Certainly, Von has special athletic skills," Manning said. "His ability to run, to cover ground, certain things that he has, you just can't teach."

Miller said there's plenty for him to learn still so that he can reach the goal he laid out for Elway, Fox and Smith before the 2011 draft.

"I want to be a linebacker, not a rush guy, not a pass specialist or run specialist," Miller said.

He won't say he's made big strides in that regard, however.

"Coach Smith, he'll tell you, I've got a long way to go," Miller said, adding, "I've made steps, not too big of hurdles or jumps, but I think I have definitely taken steps to being a great run defender."

Teams certainly no longer run roughshod over the Broncos, who rank 12th in the league against the run a year after ranking 22nd.

READ MORE: http://www.gazette.com/sports/englewood-147077-hard-linebacker.html

Bronco Rob
11-10-2012, 07:24 PM
4. Von Miller, OLB, DEN

Could he replicate his rookie year? Well no, but only because heís bettering it. At times last year Miller was nothing more than a pass rusher (a very, very good pass rusher). Now heís a complete player who makes plays at a rate that itís hard to keep up with. His grade is nearly three times as much as the next best 4-3 outside linebacker.

Key Stat: Has 44 combined sacks, hits and hurries on 226 pass rushes. That equates to a 15.6 PRP rating that is the best in the league.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/07/pff-top-51/5/

Popps
11-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Can someone please GIF that VM car crash on Newton?

Just ****ing beastly. The kid is an absolute game-changer. Haven't had this much fun watching our defense in ages.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnt1j7WrE81qg39ewo1_500.gif

Bronco Rob
11-11-2012, 04:06 PM
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa444/Paxil_Rose/sv.gif

LongDongJohnson
11-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Lonestar would still take watt over miller without even thinking about it.

Gutless Drunk
11-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Miller is a monster

Peyton Manning has gotten all the pub in Denver this year, and rightly so. Now that his career resurrection has become a familiar storyline, it's time to remember just how good Broncos linebacker Von Miller is. Miller was all over the field Sunday as the Broncos rolled 36-14 at Carolina. More accurately, he was all over the Panthers' backfield. He sacked QB Cam Newton once (pictured), forced a fumble and had four tackles for a loss. Just as Manning makes defenses adjust to him, and then beats them anyway, Miller remains a disruptive forces even as opposing offenses do everything they can to account for him.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/lists/week10-lessons-atlanta-falcons-new-orleans-saints-adrian-peterson-new-york-giants-von-miller-111112#tab=photo-title=Miller+is+a+monster&photo=31424100

gyldenlove
11-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Miller is a monster

Peyton Manning has gotten all the pub in Denver this year, and rightly so. Now that his career resurrection has become a familiar storyline, it's time to remember just how good Broncos linebacker Von Miller is. Miller was all over the field Sunday as the Broncos rolled 36-14 at Carolina. More accurately, he was all over the Panthers' backfield. He sacked QB Cam Newton once (pictured), forced a fumble and had four tackles for a loss. Just as Manning makes defenses adjust to him, and then beats them anyway, Miller remains a disruptive forces even as opposing offenses do everything they can to account for him.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/lists/week10-lessons-atlanta-falcons-new-orleans-saints-adrian-peterson-new-york-giants-von-miller-111112#tab=photo-title=Miller+is+a+monster&photo=31424100

One thing that should be mentioned is that Miller was spying Newton on 3rd downs all day, on several 3rd and long situations we actually blitzed and kept Miller back to spy because he is the one linebacker we have who is fast and strong enough to bring Newton down.

baja
11-11-2012, 08:09 PM
JDR must be like a kid in a candy store with all the options he has on defense.

Bronco Rob
11-12-2012, 01:17 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8Ktt2fivInc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lonestar
11-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Lonestar would still take watt over miller without even thinking about it.

Yes I think I would. Miller is great but JJ is better. IMO

Miller had a great great day. No doubt about it

Please do not get heart broken over it. Because your petty snipes mean nothing to me.

Bronco Rob
11-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Von Miller, Broncos D make Carolina's Cam Newton their bitch

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2012/11/von_miller_broncos_cam_newton_bitch_panthers.php

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HkEYON3XGKs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:strong:

DBroncos4life
11-12-2012, 09:55 AM
Patrick Smyth
‏@psmyth12

Thru 9 gms, V.Miller only player in NFL w/10+sacks
& 10+run TFLs. In last 20 yrs, this has been done only 19 times over
an entire season.

Boobs McGee
11-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Patrick Smyth
‏@psmyth12

Thru 9 gms, V.Miller only player in NFL w/10+sacks
& 10+run TFLs. In last 20 yrs, this has been done only 19 times over
an entire season.

WOW. And the easy part of our schedule has just begun! Record breakin time!!!

mkporter
11-12-2012, 10:24 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4ByVUeNNvUw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Von's safety dance was his best yet. Sooooo funny. ROFL!

gyldenlove
11-12-2012, 10:34 AM
WOW. And the easy part of our schedule has just begun! Record breakin time!!!

I recently had a discussion with several other non-Bronco NFL fans about how unfair it is that Von Miller is listed as a 4-3 SLB because no other SLB has a shot at getting named to any all-pro team.

Dr. Broncenstein
11-12-2012, 10:43 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4ByVUeNNvUw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Von's safety dance was his best yet. Sooooo funny. ROFL!

He can dance if he wants to. He can leave his friends behind.

Popps
11-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Anyone GIF the car-crash hit yet? The one where Von shot through the gap and basically just ran him over. Think it was early in the 4th?

Pretty please?

LongDongJohnson
11-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Yes I think I would. Miller is great but JJ is better. IMO

Miller had a great great day. No doubt about it

Please do not get heart broken over it. Because your petty snipes mean nothing to me.

In your non expert arm chair opinion.

No one is heart broken. But the fact you would take a player over Miller without even thinking about it is laughable.

Miller right now is having a DPOY type season.

Bronco Rob
11-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Miller: Three sacks for 29 yards in losses, two tackles for losses, two forced fumbles.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa444/Paxil_Rose/vontumble_medium.gif

DivineLegion
11-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Miller: Three sacks for 29 yards in losses, two tackles for losses, two forced fumbles.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa444/Paxil_Rose/vontumble_medium.gif

This is by far my favorite Von Sack dance.

Bronco Rob
11-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Loved the missed assignment by the line when Rivers tried to make a pre snap adjustment.

Hilarious!

lonestar
11-18-2012, 10:53 PM
In your non expert arm chair opinion.

No one is heart broken. But the fact you would take a player over Miller without even thinking about it is laughable.

Miller right now is having a DPOY type season.

He has had two outstanding games against two teams with lousy olines, one with a QB in a sophomore slump at best the other with a hot and cold QB..

Watts has played pretty consistent ball all year..

I'll bet that nationwide a hell of a lot more folks would take Watt over Miller also.

Both aree going wreak havoc for years. One from DE the other from OLB. Frankly Miller seems to have improved more this year becoming a more complete player as last year they would run the ball past him while he was going for the sack.

I'm glad he is a bronco. But still Not sure why anyone that is not a complete homer would not be ok with a fan thinking that Watt is better.

g6matty
11-18-2012, 10:58 PM
does sack also count as a TFL

Bronco Rob
11-19-2012, 09:55 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/erad-Mu8Pd8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gyldenlove
11-19-2012, 11:00 AM

Depends who is counting - in most statistics they are separate things but typically during draft prep they add the two together when talking about defenders.

Drunken.Broncoholic
11-19-2012, 11:40 AM

I think it is a TFL if its a QB designed run

Bronco Rob
11-20-2012, 03:22 AM
Von Miller was the Broncosí most dominant player Sunday, even with Peyton Manning as his teammate.

Thatís no surprise. Miller might be the NFLís best defensive player. Better than J.J. Watt, the Texansí splendid defensive end. Better than Charles Tillman, the Bears cornerback who has turned forcing fumbles into an art form.

att and Tillman both had a terrific September and October. But Miller is having a November to remember. Millerís performance Sunday was sensational. He had three sacks, two forced fumbles and two tackles for a loss, leading the Broncos to a 30-23 victory over the Chargers.

Miller now leads the NFL with 13 sacks. He has seven in the last three games. In only his second season, Miller has joined Reggie White, Dwight Freeney, and Javon Kearse as the only four players with 11 sacks or more during their first two seasons.

When Miller comes roaring off the edge from his outside linebacker position, he invokes memories of his idol, Derrick Thomas, the late Chiefsí Hall of Fame linebacker. Miller wears No. 58 in honor of Thomas. The legacy is being upheld in glorious fashion.

Miller is the most important defensive player on a Broncosí team that looks like a legit Super Bowl contender. If the Broncos are going to do damage in the playoffs, they need a defense that can rattle quarterbacks like Tom Brady, Matt Schaub and Ben Roethlisberger.

A dominant pass rusher is the best way to neutralize quarterbacks in todayís pass-happy NFL. Miller gives the Broncos that guy. Even when he doesnít get a sack, Miller can cause havoc. His best play in Sundayís game led to an interception by safety Jim Leonhard. Miller shed off a chip block, made his way through inside traffic, and got close enough to Rivers to force a mistake. Rivers unloaded the football early, before Miller could unload. But the presence of Miller caused Rivers to throw a pick, which was worse than taking a sack.

Miller loves to dance after sacks, which means heís gotten plenty of practice perfecting his moves. Maybe a spot on "Dancing with the Stars" is in Millerís future. At the very least, Millerís national profile is rising. Watching the Broncos isnít just about watching what Manning will do next. Itís about watching Miller.

Miller probably wonít win the MVP award. Defensive players have a hard time doing that.

However, the Broncos clearly have two MVP candidates, one on each side of the ball. We already knew how good Manning was. Now weíre finding out how good Miller is, too.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-11-19/von-miller-mvp-2012-defensive-stats-broncos-sacks-jj-watt-news

Bronco Rob
11-21-2012, 01:49 AM
Only Jack Lambert and Lawrence Taylor have won defensive rookie of the year and Defensive player of the year in back-to-back years.

Bronco Rob
11-22-2012, 02:50 AM
Panthers' Cam Newton or Broncos' Von Miller: Who was better draft pick?

Read more: Panthers' Cam Newton or Broncos' Von Miller: Who was better draft pick? - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22035259/panthers-cam-newton-or-broncos-von-miller-who#ixzz2Cwngxjil
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Bronco Rob
12-05-2012, 10:21 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b6s3kdfU5jc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CEH
12-05-2012, 10:27 AM
What happened to the vaunted CHI Defense. They are really regressing when they don't get the turnovers and have to play defense from behind

Von is rolling and I hope the D shows up against Baltimore. Watt will be on TV this week against NE

Bronco Rob
12-05-2012, 07:20 PM
What happened to the vaunted CHI Defense. They are really regressing when they don't get the turnovers and have to play defense from behind

Von is rolling and I hope the D shows up against Baltimore. Watt will be on TV this week against NE

Thank you Elway for dumping allen and hiring Jack Del Rio!

baja
12-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Washington has a good shot at beating the Ravens this week.

baja
12-05-2012, 07:28 PM
In fact the Ravens may not win another game.

Bronco Rob
12-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Von Millerís $25,000 fine raises specter of suspension

Broncos linebacker Von Miller is a candidate for the NFLís defensive player of the year award. But if heís not careful, he may soon be a candidate for a suspension as well.

The NFL has confirmed that Miller was fined $25,000 for striking Buccaneers quarterback Josh Freeman below the knee area last week. Miller, who was given a 15-yard penalty for that hit on Freeman, has now been fined enough times for illegal hits that he risks the NFL deciding that fines just arenít getting the message through to him, and that suspensions are next.

Among Millerís other fines: He was fined $21,000 for a hit on Cam Newton last month. He was fined $7,500 for a late hit against the Patriots in the playoffs in January. He was fined $25,000 for a hit on Mark Sanchez in November of 2011. And he was fined $15,000 for a hit on Carson Palmer in November of 2011.

Thatís five fines in Millerís last 24 games. The NFL has made clear that it will suspend repeat offenders if fines arenít getting the point across, and Miller now appears to be a prime candidate for one of those suspensions.

The good news for Miller is that when the NFL fined Ravens safety Ed Reed for his third helmet-to-helmet hit of the last three seasons, Reed won his appeal. But that doesnít mean the NFL is done handing out suspensions for repeated illegal hits. A suspension of Miller would be a huge blow to the Broncos, but if he keeps racking up fines, a suspension is coming.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/07/von-millers-25000-fine-raises-specter-of-suspension/

???

Bronco Rob
05-17-2013, 03:23 PM
4. Von Miller, OLB, Denver Broncos (12th)

Miller isnít your conventional 4-3 outside linebacker, moving into a pass rushing role in sub package defense that saw him spend only 24% of his passing snaps in coverage. However, as the 86 combined sacks, hits and hurries show, he delivers in that role, while adding a further 15 tackles for losses. You simply need to watch out for Miller on every play ó if you donít, heís likely to hurt you.

Best Performance: Week 5 at New England, +12.3

Key Stat: Missed only three tackles all year.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/03/pffs-top-101-of-2012-the-top-10/

DENVERDUI55
05-17-2013, 03:28 PM
In fact the Ravens may not win another game.

Whoops!

TheReverend
05-17-2013, 04:03 PM
I recently had a discussion with several other non-Bronco NFL fans about how unfair it is that Von Miller is listed as a 4-3 SLB because no other SLB has a shot at getting named to any all-pro team.

No 43 SLB had a chance anyway. Those teams get filled up with 3-4 OLBs and the OCCASIONAL guy like Lance Briggs that's just dominating the weak side.

By the time it's all said and done, honors teams are a bunch of apples to oranges comparisons.

baja
05-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Whoops!

LOL now there is a miss in grand fashion.